Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
duTrieux.
Oct 9, 2003

A negative opinion?!

~gasps, fans self~

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

commish
Sep 17, 2009

Syrinxx posted:

Can someone with a surface open up a comic book and fit it to the width of the page and post how much black space is at the top and bottom? I'm curious how 16:9 will work for comics.

I assume you mean in portrait mode... in comicsjolt, there's 1 inch on top and bottom that is black. Looks great. Only issue are the readers. They have a few, but not as polished as what I'm used to on the ipad. But time will change that.

Also, for those who wanted to expand the flash capabilities of the system, here ya go:

http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?p=33414039#post33414039

Butt Soup Barnes
Nov 25, 2008

Has MS said if they're going to release a USB cable for the Surface?

It would be nice to have a way to charge via USB even if it's slower. I have a ton of those external battery packs that have USB ports to charge that would be nice to use during the storm.

GameCube
Nov 21, 2006

Butt Soup Barnes posted:

Has MS said if they're going to release a USB cable for the Surface?

It would be nice to have a way to charge via USB even if it's slower. I have a ton of those external battery packs that have USB ports to charge that would be nice to use during the storm.

From the Ars Review:

quote:

There's no option here for USB charging. Sinofsky described this as one of the many trade-offs that have to be made when designing hardware. USB charging is useful, because it means that you can carry around fewer chargers. However, it's also power constrained; although the USB working group is producing a high power (100W) standard, current USB 2.0 is limited to 2.5W and USB 3.0 to 9.0W. With Surface's 31.5Wh battery, that would produce a best-case charging time of 3.5 hours over USB 3.0 (assuming the machine has its screen off and is idle, so all the energy slurped in over the port can be stored in the battery), and more than 12 hours over USB 2.0. With the 24W charger, a full charge can be had in around 80 minutes.
So MS seems to be against it. Maybe someone who, unlike me, didn't sleep through their electrical engineering classes can tell us if it'd even be possible to develop a third-party USB charger, considering that the tablet wasn't designed for it.

Syrinxx
Mar 28, 2002

Death is whimsical today

I have my eye on the ATIV Smart PC but I noticed that the processor is only 32 bit. Will this make a difference? Also the resolution seems pretty lovely for such a large screen.

double sulk
Jul 2, 2010

Syrinxx posted:

I have my eye on the ATIV Smart PC but I noticed that the processor is only 32 bit. Will this make a difference? Also the resolution seems pretty lovely for such a large screen.

I saw what I believe was one of those in a Staples near by and the thing is a massive pile of poo poo. Don't buy it. This isn't me being anti-Windows 8 in any way (I legitimately do want to see a Surface in person) -- I'm pretty sure the shell is just a gray Note 10.2 (or whatever it's called). The model in the store's Windows button was loose and seemed like it'd fall out, and I think the unit was more bendable than the VivoTab. The screen was really bad, as well.

The VivoTab is a much better option, but even that didn't seem to run too well based on a couple minutes with it.

Kazy
Oct 23, 2006

0x38: FLOPPY_INTERNAL_ERROR

gucci void main posted:

The VivoTab is a much better option, but even that didn't seem to run too well based on a couple minutes with it.

VivoTab is RT, the Smart PC is x86 and runs the full Windows. And apparently it's 32-bit due to Connected Standby, which lets it idle really well apparently, not supporting 64-bit Windows, not the processor itself.

I'd hold out for something else though, since Samsung isn't really famous for their build quality :v:

double sulk
Jul 2, 2010

Kazy posted:

VivoTab is RT, the Smart PC is x86 and runs the full Windows. And apparently it's 32-bit due to Connected Standby, which lets it idle really well apparently, not supporting 64-bit Windows, not the processor itself.

I'd hold out for something else though, since Samsung isn't really famous for their build quality :v:

Yeah, I know there's a difference, I just meant in general terms of build quality.

Jewmanji
Dec 28, 2003
Wrong thread, sorry.

Kazy
Oct 23, 2006

gucci void main posted:

Yeah, I know there's a difference, I just meant in general terms of build quality.

ASUS isn't known for their build quality either :ssh:

Also, TPT2 is up for preorder at the Microsoft Store. $699 with pen included.

Shipping date is set at 12/31, not sure if that's a placeholder though, hope so :(

ilovemyducks
Nov 1, 2006
HI MOM!

Malmanous posted:

My techno phobic sister just brought a Samsung ativ smart pc today. She loves it and has been posting on Facebook about how great it and windows 8 are. I know it's anecdotal evidence but I think despite it's flaws windows 8 is going to be a winner for Microsoft.

Yeah, I'm not sure how well Surfaces are going to sell, but I think once people start playing with the hardware designed for this OS and Win8 in general, it is a very compelling experience, even with the shortfalls. It feels like the future. Going back to OSX and even iOS to an extent to leisurely browse the internet feels like old tech.

ilovemyducks fucked around with this message at 20:02 on Oct 29, 2012

chedemefedeme
May 25, 2007

Until then I need your help
figuring out the logistics!
Here's one I'm curious if others have observed. On my surface the brightness of the backlight as a whole seems to vary based not just upon ambient light...but also the things I have on screen? Super annoying, really, because it feels like the backlight goes up and down as I scroll through web pages with different colored parts of the page. Is this really what they're doing or are my eyes broken?

Also it seems that different applications have DRAMATIC differences in their auto correction. Typing into ie like I am for this post autocorrect works awesome. Pretty much nails everything i want it to. In other apps it hardly corrects at all. This is a big bummer compared to how ios corrects everything everywhere unless its a url you're typing or something.

And, final fun fact..i managed to crash the keyboard while typing this post. Just typing along on surface and the keyboard stopped taking input. IE would still scroll, but the keyboard was dead. After a moment it turned all white but still didn't come back to life until i asked it to respawn by clicking out and then back in the text area. Only time that's ever happened so far.

Butt Soup Barnes
Nov 25, 2008

chedemefedeme posted:

Here's one I'm curious if others have observed. On my surface the brightness of the backlight as a whole seems to vary based not just upon ambient light...but also the things I have on screen? Super annoying, really, because it feels like the backlight goes up and down as I scroll through web pages with different colored parts of the page. Is this really what they're doing or are my eyes broken?

Also it seems that different applications have DRAMATIC differences in their auto correction. Typing into ie like I am for this post autocorrect works awesome. Pretty much nails everything i want it to. In other apps it hardly corrects at all. This is a big bummer compared to how ios corrects everything everywhere unless its a url you're typing or something.

And, final fun fact..i managed to crash the keyboard while typing this post. Just typing along on surface and the keyboard stopped taking input. IE would still scroll, but the keyboard was dead. After a moment it turned all white but still didn't come back to life until i asked it to respawn by clicking out and then back in the text area. Only time that's ever happened so far.

Can't really comment about the autocorrect but I haven't noticed anything off about my backlight or heard of any issues with it. Maybe there's a problem with your ambient light sensor?

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

If you're having problems you're either holding the phone wrong or you have tiny girl hands.

chedemefedeme posted:

Make sure you arn't covering the ambient light sensor by accident.

chedemefedeme
May 25, 2007

Until then I need your help
figuring out the logistics!
Totally not. Happens in a variety of lighting conditions too. Right now I'm sitting in a very dark room with surface in my lap. I scroll with my thumb from the side of the screen. The light sensor is in the top bezel, slightly to the left of center. The change in brightness is small. Perhaps a few percent. It only happens when scrolling the screen past areas of different bright or dark colors. Scrolling through a thread here on the forums causes it since every other post has a slightly different background color. I can reliably ramp it up and down by scrolling back and forth over the same spot that causes it. Its super subtle. Not sure I even noticed until I owned the tablet a few days. But it is there and completely reproducible every time.

OldPueblo
May 2, 2007

Likes to argue. Wins arguments with ignorant people. Not usually against educated people, just ignorant posters. Bing it.

chedemefedeme posted:

Totally not. Happens in a variety of lighting conditions too. Right now I'm sitting in a very dark room with surface in my lap. I scroll with my thumb from the side of the screen. The light sensor is in the top bezel, slightly to the left of center. The change in brightness is small. Perhaps a few percent. It only happens when scrolling the screen past areas of different bright or dark colors. Scrolling through a thread here on the forums causes it since every other post has a slightly different background color. I can reliably ramp it up and down by scrolling back and forth over the same spot that causes it. Its super subtle. Not sure I even noticed until I owned the tablet a few days. But it is there and completely reproducible every time.

This is a shot in the dark but...

http://www.nvidia.com/object/tegra-3-processor.html

quote:

NVIDIA PRISM Display Technology* - PRISM (or Pixel Rendering Intensity and Saturation Management) reduces a mobile device’s backlight power while simultaneously enhancing the pixel color to deliver the same visual quality with substantially extended battery life.

What made me think of this:

http://www.thetechchat.com/2012/08/03/nexus-7-screen-washed-out-after-watching-video-check-this-out/

Rent
Jul 20, 2004
Steal the warm wind tired friend

duTrieux. posted:

I know, right? It's not like there's any sort of precedent for people who have to use and work with something to want to express/vent their opinions in a thread dedicated to that specific thing. That would be crazy.

cool bro. just devote your life to posting non stop about your hatred; that'll make it better :)

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

Everyone cool with this becoming the RT thread? I'd rather someone post a new one with an OP that has some actual info in it, so that would be cool too.

CUNT AND PASTE
Aug 15, 2004

~see my amazon wishlistu~
I don't see the point in splitting Windows 8/RT between two threads.

Aside from RT not having any Desktop software, there isn't much difference between Windows 8 and Windows RT (they're easily explained in a good OP or at least a link to the feature matrix on Wikipedia). And if this Intel chip is what everyone says it is, Windows RT may have a very short shelf life.

Do you really want another one of these to tidy up after?

dorkanoid
Dec 21, 2004

Trend OfficeScan REALLY didn't like this URL :v:

(No, I don't get to choose antivirus :( )

Butt Soup Barnes
Nov 25, 2008

oval office AND PASTE posted:

I don't see the point in splitting Windows 8/RT between two threads.

Aside from RT not having any Desktop software, there isn't much difference between Windows 8 and Windows RT (they're easily explained in a good OP or at least a link to the feature matrix on Wikipedia). And if this Intel chip is what everyone says it is, Windows RT may have a very short shelf life.

Do you really want another one of these to tidy up after?

Wouldn't RT tablets just become the entry level ones that compete with Android rather than just disappearing?

As Windows 8 tablets come down to sub $500 it's reasonable to think RT tablets would go down to sub $300.

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

Star War Sex Parrot posted:

Everyone cool with this becoming the RT thread? I'd rather someone post a new one with an OP that has some actual info in it, so that would be cool too.

Does this mean we can't talk about Win8 tablets in this thread anymore? If it does, we should probably have one of those too (with that spreadsheet in the OP hint hint hint).

Macichne Leainig
Jul 26, 2012

by VG
I fully support splitting the thread up. The RT tablets are meant to be that, tablet competitors, whereas putting the tablet name on the x86 tablets is just false - they're more like ultrabook competitors. They fit different people's needs.

With that said, it might be confusing once Clover Trail is released and the line between RT and x86 Windows blurs even more.

Simulated
Sep 28, 2001
Lowtax giveth, and Lowtax taketh away.
College Slice

chedemefedeme posted:

Either a defect or a poor backlight algorithm in the display. All LCDs have to vary the backlight power depending on the average brightness of the screen or you'll get that kind of apparent brightness changes as the dark pixels let less light through, directing more of the backlight through the lightly colored ones. It also causes bleed through on the dark areas, reducing the contrast ratio. That's why the really good TVs have LED arrays so they can control the backlight in different sections independently.

But my money's on a defect. The Surface hardware guys don't seem like dummies... They already can't compete with the iPad screen on resolution or color accuracy, I highly doubt they cheaped out on the backlight or display controller.

Stumpus
Dec 25, 2009
So my wife's laptop is dying, conveniently in time for me to justify buying a new gadget (even if it's for her). I was thinking of purchasing the Surface for her, but I paused at whether I should get the RT version or wait for Pro instead.

Based on what I could tell, it would be better for me to wait for an 8 pro surface if I was to buy one, than to wait to get one for her. Her uses are word processing and other office programs, as well as surfing the internet, looking at pictures, pinteresting or whatever, and other girl things.

So at first glance, the RT seems to be the best bet. But then I see that Intel is developing a chip that will cause the RT to phase out most likely. Thus my question becomes: Should I jump in on a surface now for my wife, or will getting in on the RT alienate her from my future Win 8 purchases?

I realize future proofing is never possible, and that is not my goal. But I want to make sure that I'm getting a worthwhile product that will last, be relevant, and be enjoyable for at least 5 years.

Butt Soup Barnes
Nov 25, 2008

Stumpus posted:

So my wife's laptop is dying, conveniently in time for me to justify buying a new gadget (even if it's for her). I was thinking of purchasing the Surface for her, but I paused at whether I should get the RT version or wait for Pro instead.

Based on what I could tell, it would be better for me to wait for an 8 pro surface if I was to buy one, than to wait to get one for her. Her uses are word processing and other office programs, as well as surfing the internet, looking at pictures, pinteresting or whatever, and other girl things.

So at first glance, the RT seems to be the best bet. But then I see that Intel is developing a chip that will cause the RT to phase out most likely. Thus my question becomes: Should I jump in on a surface now for my wife, or will getting in on the RT alienate her from my future Win 8 purchases?

I realize future proofing is never possible, and that is not my goal. But I want to make sure that I'm getting a worthwhile product that will last, be relevant, and be enjoyable for at least 5 years.

Nobody knows the future of RT, so it's kind of hard to say what you should do.

It sounds like the Surface can do everything that she needs a tablet for out of the box, and if RT does get phased out (which I personally think is less likely than others have been saying) it's not like the tablet will just stop working one day.

If I were you I would buy the Surface and have her try it out. If she doesn't like it or if Office on RT isn't suitable for her you can always return it.

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

If you're having problems you're either holding the phone wrong or you have tiny girl hands.

Stumpus posted:

Load windows 8 on something and see if she can get by only using metro.

ilovemyducks
Nov 1, 2006
HI MOM!

Butt Soup Barnes posted:

Nobody knows the future of RT, so it's kind of hard to say what you should do.

It sounds like the Surface can do everything that she needs a tablet for out of the box, and if RT does get phased out (which I personally think is less likely than others have been saying) it's not like the tablet will just stop working one day.

If I were you I would buy the Surface and have her try it out. If she doesn't like it or if Office on RT isn't suitable for her you can always return it.

I'd say RT is here to stay. Doesn't make sense for Microsoft to heavily invest in ARM and then just abandon it.

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

Echo_ posted:

I'd say RT is here to stay. Doesn't make sense for Microsoft to heavily invest in ARM and then just abandon it.

You mean like Silverlight, and webtv, and windows media center, and zune, and playsforsure, and winfs.....

Macichne Leainig
Jul 26, 2012

by VG
If you want an RT tablet I'd like to point out you can get the Asus dock for free:

http://event.asus.com/Vivotab/Mobile_Dock/

A bit of a hassle but it's a couple dozen Jacksons saved, and since Micro Center's selling the 32GB one for $500...

Butt Soup Barnes
Nov 25, 2008

Don Lapre posted:

You mean like Silverlight, and webtv, and windows media center, and zune, and playsforsure, and winfs.....

Oh come on this is way different than any of those relatively small, meaningless things and you know it.

Ping was abandoned so there's no way Apple could ever make anything meaningful again, am I right?

I think what people are forgetting when they say RT is "DOA" is that it's tied to an OS that in a few short years will be on the vast majority of computers and they have made it relatively easy for developers to make apps that are supported on Windows 8, RT, and WP8. That alone is reason enough to think RT will not fail and Microsoft would have no reason to abandon it.

The low-priced Windows 8 tablets are coming, yes. Which means that RT tablets will just become cheaper and more accessible, not disappear.

Butt Soup Barnes fucked around with this message at 19:44 on Oct 30, 2012

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

Butt Soup Barnes posted:

Oh come on this is way different than any of those relatively small, meaningless things and you know it.

Ping was abandoned so there's no way Apple could every make anything meaningful again, am I right?

Im not saying microsoft cant make something meaningful, im saying that microsoft is no stranger to abandoning products.

double sulk
Jul 2, 2010

With regards to the Surface, are there more places than the Microsoft Stores listed on their website where you can look at/purchase one? I've looked around online and it appears as if there might be other places at least showing them off, but the closest listed (by Microsoft's site) Microsoft Store near me is in Delaware at the Christiana Mall, which is maybe 45 minutes away with good traffic. I really would like to see one if only to see it, but the less driving I have to do, the better.

Edit/Addendum: I'm already assuming that I'm SOL, and I guess it's both surprising and not surprising that Microsoft would make it so hard to access a major product release.

double sulk fucked around with this message at 19:48 on Oct 30, 2012

dorkanoid
Dec 21, 2004

Echo_ posted:

Kin

Jewmanji
Dec 28, 2003

Don Lapre posted:

Im not saying microsoft cant make something meaningful, im saying that microsoft is no stranger to abandoning products.

Well they must have a pretty decent amount of faith in it if they went out of their way to build hardware for it (and no, the Zune was not made in-house)

This doesn't really warrant a response.

Kazy
Oct 23, 2006

Butt Soup Barnes posted:

Ping was abandoned so there's no way Apple could ever make anything meaningful again, am I right?

I think what people are forgetting when they say RT is "DOA" is that it's tied to an OS that in a few short years will be on the vast majority of computers and they have made it relatively easy for developers to make apps that are supported on Windows 8, RT, and WP8. That alone is reason enough to think RT will not fail and Microsoft would have no reason to abandon it.

The low-priced Windows 8 tablets are coming, yes. Which means that RT tablets will just become cheaper and more accessible, not disappear.

There's no way to know. Sure, in the future, RT devices might be cheaper, but right now, you can get a fully functional x86 tablet (Samsung ATIV Smart PC) for just as much as you could get a Surface for.

EvilBit
Nov 25, 2005

It is hard to get a lady to evaluate to true.

Stumpus posted:

I'm not sure I can imagine any phone or tablet device that would last 5 years in this climate. If you go back 5 years, the original iPhone was the big thing. The app store didn't even come out until the next year. Apple has effectively put the EOL on anything before the 4 at this point, and that's only 2 years old.

So having said that, the Surface is a tablet. It is not a PC. It is an amazing device with capabilities that elevate it well above the average tablet in my opinion, but it will almost certainly not hold up for 5 years. In fact, any ultrabook or lightweight PC that sacrifices power for weight will likely become obsolete on a timeline closer to tablets and phones too. If you really want 5 years' longevity, find a decent touchscreen Windows 8 laptop-- maybe even a convertible with a pen-- that runs a Core i7 or close to it. Max out the RAM and give it a good SSD. It'll probably weigh at least 3-4 pounds and get 4 hours of battery life, but it will probably last twice as long as any tablet.

Zuhzuhzombie!!
Apr 17, 2008
FACTS ARE A CONSPIRACY BY THE CAPITALIST OPRESSOR

And Clover Trail is coming out next year.

Oh and Surface was an entirely different product previously. And MS had a completely different tablet OS a while back as well.

Oh and they're also EOL'ing WP7 a year after release.

Jewmanji
Dec 28, 2003

Zuhzuhzombie!! posted:

And Clover Trail is coming out next year.

Oh and Surface was an entirely different product previously. And MS had a completely different tablet OS a while back as well.

Oh and they're also EOL'ing WP7 a year after release.

I guess if "EOL'ing WP7 a year after release" means pushing out a new update 2 years after release then sure. Also "completely different tablet OS" is totally disingenuous.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zuhzuhzombie!!
Apr 17, 2008
FACTS ARE A CONSPIRACY BY THE CAPITALIST OPRESSOR

Jewmanji posted:

I guess if "EOL'ing WP7 a year after release" means pushing out a new update 2 years after release then sure. Also "completely different tablet OS" is totally disingenuous.

How is it disingenuous?

MS had a line of tablets they were demoing and never released called Courier.

And yeah, two years instead of one before they killed WP7 with a forced upgrade. Who gives a poo poo that they're gonna upgrade the OS if there won't be any continuing software support?

Point is, MS will invest in something and kill it without a problem.

• Locked thread