Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mr.Trifecta
Mar 2, 2007

DancinBrud posted:

Let's hear it!

SS Billiards in Hopkins MN is run by Lloyd who is a pinball enthusiast. Nice selection of machines for cheap on play.

Second is probably the biggest place in Minnesota to play Pinball and you wouldn't know it. Blainebrook Bowl in Blaine MN is a bowling alley chockfull of pinball machines.

I recommend either of these places.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

long-ass nips Diane
Dec 13, 2010

Breathe.

Nuclear Tourist posted:

Been playing Scared Stiff on my iPad on and off all day. Never tried the real deal so I can't really say if it's super easy or not, but if you ask me it's one of the top tables released for PA so far. The whole light-hearted horror thing just lends itself to pinball really well, and I love the coffin that pops out the multiballs and the monster-in-the-box mechanic. Both Elvira tables are amazing, actually.

I'm still waiting for them to release Twilight Zone, though <:mad:>

I got an e-mail from them asking what platform I wanted my kickstarter copy of Twilight Zone on, so hopefully it'll be out soon.

Nuclear Tourist
Apr 7, 2005

Swagger Dagger posted:

I got an e-mail from them asking what platform I wanted my kickstarter copy of Twilight Zone on, so hopefully it'll be out soon.

Awesome. Been stoked for the TZ table ever since they first announced the kickstarter.

Clouseau
Aug 3, 2003

My theories appall you, my heresies outrage you, I never answer letters, and you don't like my tie.

Nuclear Tourist posted:

Awesome. Been stoked for the TZ table ever since they first announced the kickstarter.

So far they've been cagey about saying that it will drop in November, but I have read them saying that they plan on releasing it in 2012, so a December release is possible.

I imagine that the Powerball is the hardest thing for them to get right, because that thing can be unpredictable.

Boxman
Sep 27, 2004

Big fan of :frog:

Is No Good Gofers crashing the app for anyone else? If its just me, I'll reinstall.

Yarrington
Jun 13, 2002

While I will admit to a certain cynicism, I am a nay-sayer and hatchet man in the fight against violence. I pride myself in taking a punch and I'll gladly take another.
Is the Big Shot bonus goal bugged? I've gotten more than the 14,000 it says several times and it won't complete.

Red Minjo
Oct 20, 2010

Out of the houses, which is the most blue?

The answer might not be be obvious at first.

Gravy Boat 2k
Welp. Just got an amazing run in Scared Stiff, the ball shoots down the left outlane, and now the game refuses to recognize that the ball is no longer in play. The call for attendant feature claims that the ball isn't stuck. Tilting the table didn't fix it either.

Beelzebozo
Nov 6, 2002

I don’t mean to sound bitter, cold, or cruel. But I am, so that’s how it comes out.
FarSight's latest TPA newsletter confirms something I was beginning to suspect, Crave Entertainment went out of business. That explains why there has not been any DLC tables lately on the Xbox 360. Microsoft won't allow developers to push out any new content without a publisher. I hope they find another one soon or else allow Microsoft to act as their publisher. While ZEN Studios would likely scream foul in that scenario, I doubt Microsoft would listen.

Tempura Wizard
Sep 15, 2006

spending all
spending
spending all my time

Yarrington posted:

Is the Big Shot bonus goal bugged? I've gotten more than the 14,000 it says several times and it won't complete.
Glad to hear it's not just me. I've even tried getting exactly 14,000 a couple of times and it still won't activate.

Tasteful Bulge
Sep 5, 2003

It's down to you and me, you one-eyed freak.

Beelzebozo posted:

I hope they find another one soon or else allow Microsoft to act as their publisher. While ZEN Studios would likely scream foul in that scenario, I doubt Microsoft would listen.

I think the only way MS would agree to be publisher would be to have exclusive console rights or at least SOME sort of carrot. But then again, Zen Pinball IS on PS3, albeit they get tables much later than Xbox.

Honestly, I think FarSight ought to talk to Zen about a possible merger. Granted, the two products operate completely differently, plus Zen is a Hungarian(?) company, but they have got to do something or they won't make it another year and we'll never see another table on Xbox.

MarxCarl
Jul 18, 2003

Bobby King of Farsight was on the Spooky Pinball Podcast (its the latest episode, do yourself a favor and don't listen, the hosts are terrible) and had some interesting tidbits.

-Next kickstarter won't happen until after the current ones are done, or at least Twilight Zone is out

- Next Kickstarter will probably be Terminator 2

-Licensing wise, they get what they can afford, Creature only has 3 of the original 5 songs included.

- They really haven't heard bad things or much from the original designers on their recreations, though Bobby apparently talked to Steve Richie and Richie has a desire to do a virtual table

- Prices on physical pins that are in Pinball Arcade are going up, Ripleys was cited, seemed Stern wants more pins in it now due to this.

- he really wanted to play the Pat Lawler ProPinball table which I felt was nice they at least acknowledge the competitors.

On the topic of the "PRO" menu, from other sites, it's said it's just too much for what you get, though apparently there is a touchscreen mode where you can drive the ball around the table. On the Mac OS X version 1.0.5, the Elvira and No Good Gophers release, you can somehow get to an adjustment screen, haven't found instructions, but here's a video http://pinballarcadefans.com/showthread.php/2296-Mac-Version-1-0-5-Bugs-And-Feedback

Clouseau
Aug 3, 2003

My theories appall you, my heresies outrage you, I never answer letters, and you don't like my tie.

MarxCarl posted:

- Prices on physical pins that are in Pinball Arcade are going up, Ripleys was cited, seemed Stern wants more pins in it now due to this.

This is pretty neat, especially considering that earlier in this thread, someone mentioned that Gary was fairly dismissive of it. Maybe they'll help PA get some of the licensing, because I'd love to play LOTR, Spiderman, or some of the other decent Sterns on there.

Snackmar
Feb 23, 2005

I'M PROGRAMMED TO LOVE THIS CHOCOLATY CAKE... MY CIRCUITS LIGHT UP FOR THAT FUDGY ICING.
Not sure if it's been mentioned, but.. If you're running the Windows 8 version of Pinball FX 2, and you normally keep a second monitor in vertical mode, you can toggle the Metro UI over to it with Win+PgUp/Dn and enjoy vertical pinball:

sethsez
Jul 14, 2006

He's soooo dreamy...

So uh... I really didn't expect most of my time with table pack 7 in Pinball Arcade to be spent with Big Shot, but here we are. Somehow it's just simple enough to be incredibly addictive, and it seems to lend itself better to quick play sessions than pretty much any other table, which is great when I'm using my phone rather than my tablet. It also helps that there aren't any other tables like it in Pinball Arcade right now, while there are plenty of flashy mid-90s tables to choose from, even if Scared Stiff is among the best of the bunch.

Niwrad
Jul 1, 2008

Not sure if anyone knows this, but what are the odds of Jersey Jack actually releasing the machine they've been working on? From everything I've seen, Wizard of Oz looks amazing. The LCD screen is a nice modern addition. And I'd love to see a high end pinball company get going with Stern moving to cheap crap.

If they release it, I plan on buying one. But not willing to throw down a deposit at the moment.

MarxCarl
Jul 18, 2003

Niwrad posted:

Not sure if anyone knows this, but what are the odds of Jersey Jack actually releasing the machine they've been working on? From everything I've seen, Wizard of Oz looks amazing. The LCD screen is a nice modern addition. And I'd love to see a high end pinball company get going with Stern moving to cheap crap.

If they release it, I plan on buying one. But not willing to throw down a deposit at the moment.

From what I've read and seen, I think it will come out, I think it will be sometime in mid to late 2013, but it will come out. Their Facebook page has pics of a lot of cabinets and playfields being assembled, so that's a good sign. They seem to have the playfield 80% done and are waiting on software to be completed, and with just 1 guy doing that, good luck locking down a date.

I think the fact that Jack hates Gary Stern and Stern pinballs will ensure the game comes out.

metallicaeg
Nov 28, 2005

Evil Red Wings Owner Wario Lemieux Steals Stanley Cup
Some more Stern tables on PA would be great. I'd love LOTR and Indiana Jones.

Der-Wreck
Feb 13, 2006
Friday nights are for Wapner!

Niwrad posted:

I was talking to somebody who had pre-ordered the machine and they told me JJP has been asking for more money on top of the pre-order payment without providing a solid release date. Don't know if that bodes well for them. The table looks pretty ambitious for a first go so hopefully they can get release without dumping a ton of money into it. I know the owner of the pinball cafe had ordered one when first announced, back when they said it would be coming out in August, but he cancelled. I think it was because there was little response from JPP and their progress as well as the hefty price tag.

MichiganCubbie
Dec 11, 2008

I love that I have an erection...

...that doesn't involve homeless people.

metallicaeg posted:

Why get that Indiana Jones table when you could get Indiana Jones: The Pinball Adventure? This one is so much better than the Stern one.

I agree about LOTR though.

Also, apparently Genie and Twilight Zone are coming out in the November update for Pinball Arcade. It's finally coming!

Boxman
Sep 27, 2004

Big fan of :frog:

I remember someone posting a video of someone breaking Whitewater in half. Does anyone have a link to that video? Also, is there some sort of archive for those sorts of insane runs?

Robot Danger
Mar 18, 2012

metallicaeg posted:

I agree. I doubt this will happen since they're still pretty new and selling. I know most people haven't liked most of the Stern offerings for quite some time but those are the tables that got me into pinball.

Zeether
Aug 26, 2011

Boxman posted:

I remember someone posting a video of someone breaking Whitewater in half. Does anyone have a link to that video? Also, is there some sort of archive for those sorts of insane runs?
PAPA's Vimeo account has pinball gameplay videos but not anything really crazy. Except maybe Cayle George kicking rear end at Jack*Bot in a tournament.

Niwrad
Jul 1, 2008

Der-Wreck posted:

I was talking to somebody who had pre-ordered the machine and they told me JJP has been asking for more money on top of the pre-order payment without providing a solid release date. Don't know if that bodes well for them. The table looks pretty ambitious for a first go so hopefully they can get release without dumping a ton of money into it. I know the owner of the pinball cafe had ordered one when first announced, back when they said it would be coming out in August, but he cancelled. I think it was because there was little response from JPP and their progress as well as the hefty price tag.

Yeah, I've heard similar stuff. I guess I don't see how they can possibly be profitable taking 3+ years to build a single pinball machine. You have to wonder at what point funding dries up when you have no revenue besides pre-order deposits.

I hope I'm wrong as I'd love to see them get up and running. But their secrecy with everything has me skeptical. If things are moving along smoothly, why not be open about that?

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

Anyone know what's up with PA pack #5 on PSN? #6 is there and the game prompts me to DL Taxi and Harley Davidson, but there's no pack in the store.

edit: and there's no lighting on the new tables on PS3.

Teenage Fansub fucked around with this message at 02:07 on Nov 1, 2012

Starhawk
Mar 28, 2003

I am leaking dangerous cargo.

Teenage Fansub posted:

Anyone know what's up with PA pack #5 on PSN? #6 is there and the game prompts me to DL Taxi and Harley Davidson, but there's no pack in the store.

edit: and there's no lighting on the new tables on PS3.

From the newsletter:

quote:

Table Pack 5: Harley-Davidson®, Third Edition and Taxi™ will appear in the menu with this update. Harley and Taxi are currently expected to be released in North America on Nov. 6th, so those two tables may not be available until then even though they appear in the menu now.

Robot Danger
Mar 18, 2012
I was really looking forward to getting to try Taxi.

How are the pack 6 tables? I've never played any of them in real life.

sethsez
Jul 14, 2006

He's soooo dreamy...

Robot Danger posted:

I was really looking forward to getting to try Taxi.

How are the pack 6 tables? I've never played any of them in real life.

For packs 5 and 6, the older tables are fantastic while the newer ones are kind of bland. Harley Davidson and No Good Gofers are competent enough, but when you've already got Medieval Madness and Theater of Magic it's hard to care about them much. Meanwhile, Taxi and Elvira and the Party Monsters are wonderful. Taxi in particular is an absolute classic.

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004

MarxCarl posted:

- he really wanted to play the Pat Lawler ProPinball table which I felt was nice they at least acknowledge the competitors.
He's pretty classy about the competition, possibly because video pinball's such a small genre nowadays. Earlier this year he had nice things to say about Zen and even Visual Pinball.

Also, finally catching up on the table packs after being too busy to play for a while. So much pinball! It's surprising just how fun Big Shot is considering how ancient it is.

Same Great Paste
Jan 14, 2006

Turns out the Top5 trophies don't work for either Elvira or NGG on PS3.

Jesus Christ Farsight, at MINIMUM you'd think you'd have your QA people verify that the things you're encouraging people to do on each table/platform are POSSIBLE. Some obscure corner case is one thing, but the easiest possible trophy for both tables? The gently caress? Did anyone there even play the tables?

MichiganCubbie
Dec 11, 2008

I love that I have an erection...

...that doesn't involve homeless people.

sethsez posted:

For packs 5 and 6, the older tables are fantastic while the newer ones are kind of bland. Harley Davidson and No Good Gofers are competent enough, but when you've already got Medieval Madness and Theater of Magic it's hard to care about them much. Meanwhile, Taxi and Elvira and the Party Monsters are wonderful. Taxi in particular is an absolute classic.

I really don't know why they did Harley Davidson other than to get another Stern table in. It's an awful table, and far and beyond the worst table on Pinball Arcade. On Android, you can use the pop-up middle bumper to activate the right flipper, so you can basically play forever if you're so inclined and you don't hit the outlanes.

It's sad that it's paired with Taxi because Taxi is incredibly awesome.

sethsez
Jul 14, 2006

He's soooo dreamy...

MichiganCubbie posted:

I really don't know why they did Harley Davidson other than to get another Stern table in. It's an awful table, and far and beyond the worst table on Pinball Arcade. On Android, you can use the pop-up middle bumper to activate the right flipper, so you can basically play forever if you're so inclined and you don't hit the outlanes.

It's sad that it's paired with Taxi because Taxi is incredibly awesome.

I imagine they went with it because they didn't have too many other choices. Red tape has got to be a bitch with Stern tables, so Farsight is probably releasing them as soon as they can get them.

Mr.Trifecta
Mar 2, 2007

Niwrad posted:

Just about 100% positive this will come out. The big question is when. Those who have put down a deposit are big believer in Jack and I think Jack would give the bird to Stern without having a backup business in mind.

MarxCarl
Jul 18, 2003

Niwrad posted:

Yeah, I've heard similar stuff. I guess I don't see how they can possibly be profitable taking 3+ years to build a single pinball machine. You have to wonder at what point funding dries up when you have no revenue besides pre-order deposits.

I hope I'm wrong as I'd love to see them get up and running. But their secrecy with everything has me skeptical. If things are moving along smoothly, why not be open about that?

Pinball news just posted a big piece on the Jersey Jack factory, lots of pictures, http://www.pinballnews.com/games/wizardofoz/index34.html. Looks like they're trying to get the production process down and bugs worked out of the system. In their PinExpo fireside chat, Jack mentions that they have 1400 of the top of the lines and 400 of the others on pre-order, and that they're working on the next 2 tables one licensed and one original. I hope they actually get the Wizard of Oz table out and do more tables, competition is always good, but I wouldn't pre-order one, especially on their terms:

From Jacks Pinballsales.com site:

quote:

INITIAL DEPOSIT IS $2,250.00

Payment Schedule is as follows:

$1750-On or before 11/15/12
$1000-On or before 12/15/12
$1000-On or before 1/15/13
$1000-On or before 2/15/13

THE PRE-ORDER PRICE FOR THE GAME IS $7,000.00 PLUS ANY APPLICABLE TAX AND SHIPPING CHARGES

I didn't know they were asking for more money on top of the down payment, that's pretty crappy.

Oh and Python Anghelo says he's working with someone, not named yet, and Pinball Circus will come out:

http://www.pinballnews.com/shows/expo2012/pythonanghelo.mp3 - about 42 minutes in

Pinball Circus, for those who don't know
http://www.ipdb.org/machine.cgi?id=4354
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NEFVkQbz-PY

Ramagamma
Feb 2, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
So what happens to people on 360 who put in for the PA kickstarters if they arn't going to release any more tables on that platform?

Not that I did, its just amusing to see a company gently caress up so much.

Niwrad
Jul 1, 2008

Mr.Trifecta posted:

Just about 100% positive this will come out. The big question is when. Those who have put down a deposit are big believer in Jack and I think Jack would give the bird to Stern without having a backup business in mind.

I hope so. I just think it's weird they want so much money up front. And the fact they are so secretive about progress. I know they have a lot of boxes and parts in the factory, but I think the code and integration are huge aspects of building the machine and we've heard of almost no progress. It still feels a long ways away.

Glad to see they are thinking of an original pin though. Never been a big fan of the licensed ones and feel the original ones give more leeway and more money to put into the quality of the machine. Many of my favorites are original and I've never had a licensed pinball machine lure me into playing it. I just want quality and good play.

Beelzebozo
Nov 6, 2002

I don’t mean to sound bitter, cold, or cruel. But I am, so that’s how it comes out.

Ramagamma posted:

So what happens to people on 360 who put in for the PA kickstarters if they arn't going to release any more tables on that platform?

Not that I did, its just amusing to see a company gently caress up so much.

Who said they aren't going to release any more tables on 360? :raise:

Mr.Trifecta
Mar 2, 2007

Niwrad posted:

I hope so. I just think it's weird they want so much money up front. And the fact they are so secretive about progress. I know they have a lot of boxes and parts in the factory, but I think the code and integration are huge aspects of building the machine and we've heard of almost no progress. It still feels a long ways away.

Glad to see they are thinking of an original pin though. Never been a big fan of the licensed ones and feel the original ones give more leeway and more money to put into the quality of the machine. Many of my favorites are original and I've never had a licensed pinball machine lure me into playing it. I just want quality and good play.

I can imagine the process is quite large for a new company. More than likely, their next two titles will come out faster then the first as they will have a process down. Right now they are just writing that process.

I agree it is a ton of money up front, which is why I am not interested. Also, WOZ theme doesn't appeal to me too much.

Zorblack
Oct 8, 2008

And with strange aeons, even death may eat a burrito with goons.
Lipstick Apathy

MarxCarl posted:

Pinball news just posted a big piece on the Jersey Jack factory, lots of pictures, http://www.pinballnews.com/games/wizardofoz/index34.html. Looks like they're trying to get the production process down and bugs worked out of the system. In their PinExpo fireside chat, Jack mentions that they have 1400 of the top of the lines and 400 of the others on pre-order, and that they're working on the next 2 tables one licensed and one original. I hope they actually get the Wizard of Oz table out and do more tables, competition is always good, but I wouldn't pre-order one, especially on their terms:

From Jacks Pinballsales.com site:

I didn't know they were asking for more money on top of the down payment, that's pretty crappy.

Oh and Python Anghelo says he's working with someone, not named yet, and Pinball Circus will come out:

http://www.pinballnews.com/shows/expo2012/pythonanghelo.mp3 - about 42 minutes in

Pinball Circus, for those who don't know
http://www.ipdb.org/machine.cgi?id=4354
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NEFVkQbz-PY

That is just incredible. Holy poo poo, I want to play that.

Jay Dub
Jul 27, 2009

I'm not listening
to youuuuu...
I've played the Pinball Circus they have at the hall of fame in Las Vegas.

The game itself is simple enough, but it's an absolute blast to watch in action. Your main goal is to hit the ramp that activates all the little mechanics and doohickeys inside and keep your ball climbing up each tier to the top. It's a drat shame they only ever produced two or three, but I can definitely see why.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Beelzebozo
Nov 6, 2002

Bobby King said an a recent interview that FarSight have acquired a Cactus Canyon and are in the process of disassembling it for digitization. God drat. I really hope they hire more resources and do whatever else they need to do to get their house in order on the nuts and bolts of software development. Because content-wise, they are doing god's work here. I didn't think I would ever get to play CC, and now I kinda sorta will.