Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

:hmmorks: :orks:

Dragongem posted:

Not HM related but EO4 is coming out in the US at least

Uh, yeah, which is why I was replying to a fellow European that we may indeed have to get a US model?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dragongem
Nov 9, 2009

Heroes of the Storm
Goon Tournament Champion

Saoshyant posted:

Uh, yeah, which is why I was replying to a fellow European that we may indeed have to get a US model?

herp derp i'm dumb :smith:

Miijhal
Jul 10, 2011

I am so tired... I am so tired all the time...
Welp, if anyone's shipment mysteriously disappeared, I may have gotten it. For some reason they sent me three copies of it even though I only ordered and payed for one.

And holy poo poo that yak plushie is soft. Reminds me of my chinchilla.

Roland Jones
Aug 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo
Still waiting for Natsume to get back to me here. I ordered the 15th Anniversary Edition on the 21st, then didn't get any emails from them; after some emailing their customer support some stuff, including a copy of my invoice (which included my address it was being shipped to; this will be important soon), I finally got a copy of my order confirmation. Then I also got a notice that my order was canceled. After talking to customer support some more, I learn that it's because my shipping address was a P.O. Box and FedEx won't ship there (not that it stopped them from charging the credit card, though it seems they undid that finally). This was also the 29th now, a week after I had placed the original order and the day, hey, you can't buy the 15th Anniversary Edition anymore. I sent them an email asking if they could reprocess my order with a different address, and got an email saying it'd take them a day or so to work things out and decide what to do.

That was two days ago.

Really, at this point I half want them to just say "hey, you can't get the stuffed cow, sucks to be you" so I can go grab the game in a store for twenty bucks less (ten on the special edition, ten for shipping and handling) already. This is frustrating.

Honest Ray
Feb 10, 2007

Your bargaining posture is highly dubious.
Does anyone have some Silver they could give me over WiFi? I should be able to give out Silkie Chicken eggs in exchange soon.

Star Guarded
Feb 10, 2008

Holy poo poo, I do not care that Neil's Animals is open.

I Watson
Feb 25, 2011

Good-night, sweet prince;
And flights of angels sing thee to thy rest.

Star Guarded posted:

Holy poo poo, I do not care that Neil's Animals is open.
I avoid being in town at 10am and 6pm for that very reason. It will never stop. :psyduck:

Honest Ray posted:

Does anyone have a halfway decent guide to the villagers?
Fogu's forum has one going. Watch out though, they are rife with ^-^ and XD;;;;; 's over there.

GruntyThrst
Oct 9, 2007

*clang*

Miijhal posted:

Welp, if anyone's shipment mysteriously disappeared, I may have gotten it. For some reason they sent me three copies of it even though I only ordered and payed for one.

Dibs! :v:

Star Guarded
Feb 10, 2008

Anyone have tips for village layout stuff? There's a fairly limited amount of room when you take into consideration that rotating a building so that its entrance faces away from the camera is too inconvenient to bother with (so no sticking buildings against the south wall).

Honest Ray
Feb 10, 2007

Your bargaining posture is highly dubious.

Star Guarded posted:

Anyone have tips for village layout stuff? There's a fairly limited amount of room when you take into consideration that rotating a building so that its entrance faces away from the camera is too inconvenient to bother with (so no sticking buildings against the south wall).

After level two of town enlargement you get a bigger town map.

For anyone looking for stuff, I found a decent guide while Fogu works on theirs.

http://hmlob.blogspot.com/p/villagers.html

Is there any good way to get silver beyond just hoping against hope in the mines? I've only gotten one and I need a bunch for the stupid inn and to upgrade my watering can.

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

Miijhal posted:

poo poo, man, if they're US region, are you sellin'? I've been considering getting it, PM me.

katkillad2
Aug 30, 2004

Awake and unreal, off to nowhere
Do any of you know what the hell is going on with the gardening tour? At first I thought they wanted me to build a garden in town, but then it made you build that huge concrete area. So I thought maybe I just need to put decorations on it, but everyone hated it. Then I tried to put a garden on top of the concrete and that didn't work... So confused!

Roland Jones
Aug 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

katkillad2 posted:

Do any of you know what the hell is going on with the gardening tour? At first I thought they wanted me to build a garden in town, but then it made you build that huge concrete area. So I thought maybe I just need to put decorations on it, but everyone hated it. Then I tried to put a garden on top of the concrete and that didn't work... So confused!

Read this.

Shirec
Jul 29, 2009

How to cock it up, Fig. I

Haha, I was really worried when I looked at the calender and thought they had gotten rid of all the festivals. And cooking is so much better now! Even though I had to individually click through 28 turnips, still like it better than how it used to be.

So is anyone playing with the 3d on? I used it for like 5 minutes and was basically done with it at that point.

Strenuous Manflurry
Sep 5, 2006

THE END

Shirec posted:

Haha, I was really worried when I looked at the calender and thought they had gotten rid of all the festivals. And cooking is so much better now! Even though I had to individually click through 28 turnips, still like it better than how it used to be.

They still do this poo poo?

Shirec
Jul 29, 2009

Strenuous Manflurry posted:

They still do this poo poo?

From my understanding from what someone in the thread said earlier, you only get the experience for one if you do it all in one batch. Since I was trying to get up my cooking title, I was doing it individually. When I stop giving as much of a poo poo, I will do it all in one go.

Strenuous Manflurry
Sep 5, 2006

THE END

Shirec posted:

From my understanding from what someone in the thread said earlier, you only get the experience for one if you do it all in one batch. Since I was trying to get up my cooking title, I was doing it individually. When I stop giving as much of a poo poo, I will do it all in one go.

I suppose that's better than it has been.

Roland Jones
Aug 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo
Okay, in response to my earlier problems with ordering the game, Natsume has come through for me (and presumably other people with the same problem, judging by the way the email was written). Sent me a link that'll be active for a week, allowing me and others who had issues with their order to get the 15th Anniversary Edition, despite it being after the deadline now. Awesome.

Fancy Hat!
Dec 5, 2003

In spite of how he's dressed, he ain't nobody's fool.
Wow you guys werent kidding, it's a real slow start! I wish they didn't have to tell me how a mini-map works, but whatever, I've made it farming, so I'm good to go.

When do I get to add more soil plots? And what do I do with Soil? And why is it free?!

PlushCow
Oct 19, 2005

The cow eats the grass

Fancy Hat! posted:

Wow you guys werent kidding, it's a real slow start! I wish they didn't have to tell me how a mini-map works, but whatever, I've made it farming, so I'm good to go.

When do I get to add more soil plots? And what do I do with Soil? And why is it free?!

On around the 25th of spring (cant remember exactly) you are able to customize the farm and town when blueprints open up, and you can use that free shop soil to build more soil plots.

Yea the slow start sucks, but once you get past the first couple weeks it picks up and with me in summer I nearly run out of energy in the day to do everything I need to do without eating. It's not like there's a big rush to the game, so if you don't care to make repeated runs for bugs to sell just go to bed early!

I really like the water paddies in the game, I've got a couple and while having to buy a seed per single plot space is annoying, it's nice how you don't have to water every day. I also have a couple soil plots with wheat in them, a MONTH to mature? Geez. I do miss the pixel graphics when it comes to stuff like grass, big fields of green looked nice.

SnakesRevenge
Dec 29, 2008

Remember the basics of CQC, Snake!
I can't use a '!' in my name! Now no one will be excited to see me.

Miijhal
Jul 10, 2011

Welp, I finally have my apiaries up. In the next two days I should be done with the second plan, and over fall I'm hoping to get eight more apiaries up so I the bees make three times as much honey. Plus it'll give me something to do with the hundred or so bees I have stored up.

Always bees, all the time.

Hopefully I'll also be able to get the tailor in the first year if this works out.

Dirk the Average
Feb 7, 2012

"This may have been a mistake."

eggrolled posted:

Oh and as a PSA... Your house is NOT a good alternative to a supply shed. poo poo despawns :( Inventory may be annoying until Spring 25 folks :v:

As a heads up, you can safely store all your tools in the toolbox, and you are able to store just about everything else in the other storage areas. Just take your tools out at night to water the plants again, use 'em in the morning, and then store them before foraging. It's a pain, but manageable.

Shirec
Jul 29, 2009

Ugh, I bought another cow because I figured I would be getting a bell soon, but hearing people say that metal seems to be scarce until the mine opens up means I may be stuck cow shoving longer than anticipated.

Miijhal posted:

Welp, I finally have my apiaries up. In the next two days I should be done with the second plan, and over fall I'm hoping to get eight more apiaries up so I the bees make three times as much honey. Plus it'll give me something to do with the hundred or so bees I have stored up.

Always bees, all the time.

Hopefully I'll also be able to get the tailor in the first year if this works out.

I have got so many bees and honeycombs sitting in my storage right now, I can't wait to get it rolling.

Miijhal
Jul 10, 2011

You can buy iron and copper from Rebecca. If you need money just work on getting an iron axe and harvesting as much lumber as possible, since one stack is worth 9900 G and you can get six in a day pretty easily.

And just got the tailor's building. Now I can be fabulous.

PlushCow
Oct 19, 2005

The cow eats the grass

Shirec posted:

Ugh, I bought another cow because I figured I would be getting a bell soon, but hearing people say that metal seems to be scarce until the mine opens up means I may be stuck cow shoving longer than anticipated.

I have got so many bees and honeycombs sitting in my storage right now, I can't wait to get it rolling.

Thankfully, at least in my experience, you don't have to put the cows outside unless you want them outside; their stress levels have been staying at 0 for me. I do give them treats everyday, if that matters.

When are you able to make beehives? I'm still in the first Summer and have done no work on the town restoration thus far, but I have a huge field of tomatoes :sun:

Miijhal
Jul 10, 2011

PlushCow posted:

Thankfully, at least in my experience, you don't have to put the cows outside unless you want them outside; their stress levels have been staying at 0 for me. I do give them treats everyday, if that matters.

When are you able to make beehives? I'm still in the first Summer and have done no work on the town restoration thus far, but I have a huge field of tomatoes :sun:

Putting them outside raises their affection faster, which increases their milk quality.

And beehives are available about mid-summer. Either that, or you need the second restoration plan.

Conduit for Sale!
Apr 17, 2007

What would you guys say are the best Harvest Moon games of the past generation? I haven't really put any significant time into any HM since FoMT, but I'd like to play a newer one.

Revol
Aug 1, 2003

EHCIARF EMERC...
EHCIARF EMERC...

Dirk the Average posted:

As a heads up, you can safely store all your tools in the toolbox, and you are able to store just about everything else in the other storage areas. Just take your tools out at night to water the plants again, use 'em in the morning, and then store them before foraging. It's a pain, but manageable.

Oh, is this another HM game where you can water the crops twice a day? Is that done just to speed up growth, or can it also contribute to quality?

I grew a potato while using fertilizer every day for the Spring Festival, but I still got second place to some old bitch in the beginner competition.

Conduit for Sale! posted:

What would you guys say are the best Harvest Moon games of the past generation? I haven't really put any significant time into any HM since FoMT, but I'd like to play a newer one.

It's not completely agreed upon, but my favorite recent HM game was Grand Bazaar. I really enjoyed the gameplay of using the bazaar every weekend to sell my stuff, and the windmill was mildly interesting. The game after that, Tale of Two Towns, I found disappointing. Maybe it was because I chose to work on the animal farm instead of the crop farm. Yeah, you can technically work both fields, but I still found it to be uninteresting.

Beyond that, it seems like a lot of people here liked Sunshine Islands, but I was never able to get into it.

Revol fucked around with this message at 22:32 on Nov 3, 2012

Roland Jones
Aug 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

Well, out of the ones I've played so far (64, GBC, AWL, and AP), 64 and Animal Parade were the best. A New Beginning also looks good but I haven't got to play it yet; it's arriving either this evening or, despite the two-day shipping I paid for, as late as Tuesday. Even though it's shipping to a location within the same state.

But, yeah. My recommendations are 64, Animal Parade, and if you don't mind taking a slight risk (I've really only heard good about it but it's new and all) A New Beginning.

Shirec
Jul 29, 2009

Revol posted:

It's not completely agreed upon, but my favorite recent HM game was Grand Bazaar. I really enjoyed the gameplay of using the bazaar every weekend to sell my stuff, and the windmill was mildly interesting. The game after that, Tale of Two Towns, I found disappointing. Maybe it was because I chose to work on the animal farm instead of the crop farm. Yeah, you can technically work both fields, but I still found it to be uninteresting.

Beyond that, it seems like a lot of people here liked Sunshine Islands, but I was never able to get into it.

I second the recommendation for Grand Bazaar. ToTT had some interesting ideas, but I found it was ultimately tedious to split things up like they did. I personally didn't like SI/IoH very much, because the weather mechanic was frustrating and having to keep track of every faceless villager b/c they leave if you haven't talked to them for 30 days. Each game has a few really good things though, you just have to find the one that suits your play style.

Plain Cheese Pizza
Aug 26, 2006

Sssh! They might have daggers...
Holy poo poo, the opening tutorial in A New Beginning is mind numbingly basic. "Run over to this house and come talk to me! Now come over to this house and talk to me! Now use your map to come over and talk to me!"

Revol
Aug 1, 2003

EHCIARF EMERC...
EHCIARF EMERC...
Is there a guide to villagers who are strongly suggested to befriend compared to others? For example, with Iroha she gives you blueprints for tool upgrades. And I see on Fogu that if you hit 30,000 with Hana, a fisherman moves into town.

Roland Jones
Aug 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

Revol posted:

Is there a guide to villagers who are strongly suggested to befriend compared to others? For example, with Iroha she gives you blueprints for tool upgrades. And I see on Fogu that if you hit 30,000 with Hana, a fisherman moves into town.

Well, a third is Emma; if you get either 2,000 or 20,000 (not sure which, I've seen both) with her and start on Town Renovation Plan #3, you unlock the tailor's shop blueprints, and thus one of the bachelorettes, early. Other than that, though, yeah, I dunno.

Dirk the Average
Feb 7, 2012

"This may have been a mistake."

Revol posted:

Oh, is this another HM game where you can water the crops twice a day? Is that done just to speed up growth, or can it also contribute to quality?

As far as I'm aware, it speeds up growth only. I'm not sure if it contributes to quality (or if you might get better quality by watering only once and fertilizing every day). You might notice when you buy seeds that they have a range of days that they mature in, and I'm pretty sure that the low end of the range is 2/day watering, and the high end is 1/day.

Something that has been bothering me about recent harvest moon games is how they don't let you access the fishing pole immediately. It's most useful in the very early game when you don't have the land or funds to maintain a huge field of crops, and when you have the most free time because of few obligations. It's a little frustrating to get a fishing rod after your farm is already established and you no longer really have as much time to fish.

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

I really wish they'd abandon the twice a day watering thing. It's just extra busywork that really serves no purpose from a gameplay standpoint.

SnakesRevenge
Dec 29, 2008

Remember the basics of CQC, Snake!

This sort of depends on consoles avaliable. Most people in the thread swear by Rune Factory 3 (if you don't require that the title is Harvest Moon), and if it's available, many of us (myself included) have been enjoying the hell out of A New Beginning.

Other that that, personally I enjoyed the hell out of Animal Parade and Grand Bazaar.

Revol
Aug 1, 2003

EHCIARF EMERC...
EHCIARF EMERC...

Roland Jones posted:

Well, a third is Emma; if you get either 2,000 or 20,000 (not sure which, I've seen both) with her and start on Town Renovation Plan #3, you unlock the tailor's shop blueprints, and thus one of the bachelorettes, early. Other than that, though, yeah, I dunno.

Now, you say early. So then all of these are just early unlocks? Because I'm concerned that I won't get certain characters to move in unless I spend the time to become best friends with an old lady or something.

Dr. Video Games 0031 posted:

I really wish they'd abandon the twice a day watering thing. It's just extra busywork that really serves no purpose from a gameplay standpoint.

Well, I imagine if you can grow crops faster, you can fit in more growth cycles into a season.

SnakesRevenge posted:

This sort of depends on consoles avaliable. Most people in the thread swear by Rune Factory 3 (if you don't require that the title is Harvest Moon)

If we're including Rune Factory games then yes, I would say that RF3 is by and large the best of the series. I think the first Wii one was good, too. The last one had a lot of great potential, but they really decreased the focus on farming, which was a mistake.

Conduit for Sale!
Apr 17, 2007

SnakesRevenge posted:

This sort of depends on consoles avaliable. Most people in the thread swear by Rune Factory 3 (if you don't require that the title is Harvest Moon), and if it's available, many of us (myself included) have been enjoying the hell out of A New Beginning.

Other that that, personally I enjoyed the hell out of Animal Parade and Grand Bazaar.

Wii and DS. I don't have a 3DS unfortunately.

I have Animal Parade but I get crazy slowdown when I play. It's not unplayable but it would annoy the hell out of me.

And no I'm not including Rune Factory because I've played them all already.

I think I'll check out Grand Bazaar then. I have played a little of ToTT but I was put off by everybody saying how slow it starts out and how tedious the two towns thing is.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

Revol posted:

Well, I imagine if you can grow crops faster, you can fit in more growth cycles into a season.

Well, yeah, that's the intent. But then why not just make crops grow faster, then? What's the point of making the player do tedious busywork just to make that happen? It's poor gameplay design.

The ability to water crops twice doesn't add any interesting gameplay or depth to the game. The developers should have just picked the growth times they wanted and stuck with that.

• Locked thread