Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
b0nes
Sep 11, 2001

.Tim posted:

It says on the back of the Surface RT box that it won't run the desktop software.

So how many people get to look or will look at the back of a laptop's box to see what it will run. I think MS should have put that on the front.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

No, seriously... what kurds?!
Installing the remote debugging tools for the SurfaceRT involved a regular Microsoft installer. So everything else is blocked via refusing unsigned executables. This is likely going to be circumvented.

Magic Underwear
May 14, 2003

Young Orc
Can anyone confirm the free space left on a fresh 32gb surface?

sethsez
Jul 14, 2006

He's soooo dreamy...

loquacius posted:

Point of order, people who just wanted an iPhone but not Apple are what put Android on the map -- at the time, there hadn't really been any viable non-iPhone smartphones. There was nothing "illegitimate" about that, and there's nothing illegitimate about people wanting a tablet for consumption purposes but not liking iOS.

Android also benefited from Apple being locked to AT&T for the longest time. Its ecosystem expanded because for many people Android wasn't just an option, it was the only option. By the time the iPhone expanded to other carriers, Android had entrenched itself enough to be a legitimately viable alternative in its own right.

Windows RT doesn't have that benefit. Anyone who wants to buy a Surface also has equal access to an iPad (or a Nexus 10 I guess). The niche it's filling at launch is significantly smaller than the one Android filled, and when it also has to compete with Windows 8 as well I'm just having trouble seeing why it would appeal to a large enough group of people to keep it viable. I mean, yeah, there's always going to be some people who want it, but will it be enough to be worth maintaining? I'm not really convinced it will be.

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

Holy crap, the SurfaceRT chokes like hell under my synthesizer piano.

Magic Underwear posted:

Can anyone confirm the free space left on a fresh 32gb surface?
16GB of 25GB, the rest is probably recovery.

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

If you're having problems you're either holding the phone wrong or you have tiny girl hands.
They should put more time into slimming down the OS, or maybe stuff is so heavily integrated they cant pull out unneeded poo poo.

Macichne Leainig
Jul 26, 2012

by VG
Why does RT need a recovery partition? If they made it easy to flash devices, they could just have a utility that does recovery for you from a PC without having to take up like 6GB.

davejk
Mar 22, 2007

Pillbug
Not everyone has a PC to recover it from. Whether covering those people from needing to go to a store is worth removing a big chunk of storage from everyone else is debatable, but it's not hard to see why they did it.

OXBALLS DOT COM
Sep 11, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
Young Orc
They could have made it possible to boot from a USB device (since the surface has a USB port anyway) and then made it so you could make a recovery drive when you first buy it to free up the space. Or else just make it so you just download the file/get one sent to you only when you need it.

OldPueblo
May 2, 2007

Likes to argue. Wins arguments with ignorant people. Not usually against educated people, just ignorant posters. Bing it.
A tool that moves the recovery partition to an SD card you provide would have been nice, but then I guess you'd get people buying terrible SD cards that might crap out I don't know. I wonder if somewhere like XDA would figure out how to do this.

GameCube
Nov 21, 2006

Cream_Filling posted:

They could have made it possible to boot from a USB device (since the surface has a USB port anyway) and then made it so you could make a recovery drive when you first buy it to free up the space. Or else just make it so you just download the file/get one sent to you only when you need it.

Even better, provide that USB device themselves, like the little USB stick that Macs come with these days came with back in the day.

GameCube fucked around with this message at 20:53 on Oct 31, 2012

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

If you're having problems you're either holding the phone wrong or you have tiny girl hands.

Werthog posted:

Even better, provide that USB device themselves, like the little USB stick that Macs come with these days.

They only did that for a year or two. Now all the macs have an OS installer in the bios that will download and install the OS.

EvilBit
Nov 25, 2005

It is hard to get a lady to evaluate to true.

Werthog posted:

Even better, provide that USB device themselves, like the little USB stick that Macs come with these days.

That's a good idea. $5 of USB stick is better than 6 GB of embedded flash.

OldPueblo
May 2, 2007

Likes to argue. Wins arguments with ignorant people. Not usually against educated people, just ignorant posters. Bing it.
Has anyone done a comparison yet between tegra3 and clovertrail? It kind of surprises me if not, how often do you have the exact same OS/interface on ARM and x86 that allows such a direct comparison?

Macichne Leainig
Jul 26, 2012

by VG

EvilBit posted:

That's a good idea. $5 of USB stick is better than 6 GB of embedded flash.

And it's not like small denominations of flash memory are cheap, either, and MS could profit from all the idiots who lose theirs.

EvilBit
Nov 25, 2005

It is hard to get a lady to evaluate to true.

Protocol7 posted:

And it's not like small denominations of flash memory are cheap, either, and MS could profit from all the idiots who lose theirs.

If they set up a program in a few months where you could sign up to have them mail you a little USB stick and then updated Windows RT to give you 6 GB of free additional storage space, that would be kinda huge.

Macichne Leainig
Jul 26, 2012

by VG

EvilBit posted:

If they set up a program in a few months where you could sign up to have them mail you a little USB stick and then updated Windows RT to give you 6 GB of free additional storage space, that would be kinda huge.

It'd be amazing. You still get the same functionality, with only a simple modification of the RT's boot process, and 6GB of extra space, partially negating one of the more prevalent issues with RT.

Though I'm still confused why the RT install size is so large.

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

Protocol7 posted:

It'd be amazing. You still get the same functionality, with only a simple modification of the RT's boot process, and 6GB of extra space, partially negating one of the more prevalent issues with RT.

Though I'm still confused why the RT install size is so large.

Because its still Windows.

CUNT AND PASTE
Aug 15, 2004

~see my amazon wishlistu~
^ Yeah, I'm still not sure why everyone is still struggling with the "It's the same WIndows you use on x86, just on ARM". Like this:

Stubb Dogg posted:

how easy it would be to change to another European variant? I don't care about keycaps as long as I could change the layout.

Control Panel > Region & Language Settings > Keyboards and Languages > etc

CUNT AND PASTE
Aug 15, 2004

~see my amazon wishlistu~
Literally any question like "How do I do x on RT" can be answered by looking at Windows 7 Home Premium or Windows 8 and pretending Windows Media Player doesn't exist.

CUNT AND PASTE fucked around with this message at 00:01 on Nov 1, 2012

EMILY BLUNTS
Jan 1, 2005

Microsoft Surface Touch Cover
More clicks than a 5yo on reddit

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

So anyway, my SurfaceRT tablet came earlier today. I've made some quick compiles for ARM by now.

First and foremost thing that was annoying is that the Tegra is locked to 48KHz and WASAPI on WindowsRT doesn't seem to want to do sample rate conversion. Thank God I've awaited this tablet before making builds, this would have resulted in a lot of bad ratings due to a non-functional app (WASAPI initialization fails due to bad format).

Then, my piano synth takes the cake. Two voices with mediocre complexity make the SurfaceRT trip over itself. I'm not sure what to make of it. Dicking around with the benchmark function of my current ongoing modular synth project, which has a plain C core (with math optimized to boot) and sheds a lot of overhead due to that, suggests that ARM CPUs can't deal with randomly scattered data access patterns.

Then again, IE10 and WinRT XAML seem to perform well enough.

Seems like dynamic content generation isn't quite the thing for ARM tablets. Too bad I've sold my Intel Atom netbook a while ago, it would have been a nice comparison. I wonder how fast the Snapdragon S4 and the Intel Cloverfield will be. Too bad I don't have the funds to get devices for testing. All of it is reserved for the Surface Pro for personal use.

Butt Soup Barnes
Nov 25, 2008

Combat Pretzel posted:

So anyway, my SurfaceRT tablet came earlier today. I've made some quick compiles for ARM by now.

First and foremost thing that was annoying is that the Tegra is locked to 48KHz and WASAPI on WindowsRT doesn't seem to want to do sample rate conversion. Thank God I've awaited this tablet before making builds, this would have resulted in a lot of bad ratings due to a non-functional app (WASAPI initialization fails due to bad format).

Then, my piano synth takes the cake. Two voices with mediocre complexity make the SurfaceRT trip over itself. I'm not sure what to make of it. Dicking around with the benchmark function of my current ongoing modular synth project, which has a plain C core (with math optimized to boot) and sheds a lot of overhead due to that, suggests that ARM CPUs can't deal with randomly scattered data access patterns.

Seems like dynamic content generation isn't quite the thing for ARM tablets. Too bad I've sold my Intel Atom netbook a while ago, it would have been a nice comparison. I wonder how fast the Snapdragon S4 and the Intel Cloverfield will be. Too bad I don't have the funds to get devices for testing. All of it is reserved for the Surface Pro for personal use.

Are you sure it's an issue with ARM processors? The iPad uses one after all and I know there are plenty of "dynamic content generation" apps for iOS. Could it be a Tegra or Win 8 thing then?

Butt Soup Barnes fucked around with this message at 01:23 on Nov 1, 2012

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

I don't know. The synth I wrote in .NET doesn't scale well enough. The current project doesn't either (well, somewhat better by nature of the programming language, but not enough to make the project viable on ARM). Seeing how the Tegra gets generally a bad rap, it would be nice to have a Snapdragon S4 based device. But this is a hobby, I don't have funds for buying devices left and right.

--edit: According to specs, the Tegra 3 has 32KB of code and data cache each. I'll probably be making some changes tomorrow that should theoretically run everything from within the cache. Hope I'll see major improvements.

Combat Pretzel fucked around with this message at 02:07 on Nov 1, 2012

Shrimpy
May 18, 2004

Sir, I'm going to need to see your ticket.
Does SmartGlass work for anything other than the 360? Could I remotely control a computer using it? I don't mean as a VPN, basically just using it as a mouse/keyboard for a computer/HTPC.

Simulated
Sep 28, 2001
Lowtax giveth, and Lowtax taketh away.
College Slice

Combat Pretzel posted:

I will laugh like a maniac if they didn't bother to have the CoreCLR do full optimizations on ARM, that's just sad. Once the code is JIT'd and cached it should be almost as fast as C code unless your C library is hand-tuned with inline assembler. In some cases .NET code is faster since object allocation is simple pointer++ logic. (On server machines the GC is even non-pausing concurrent if you opt into that)

Don't fret too much about how much faster the Apple A5/A6 chips are; they bought two semiconductor companies and hired a bunch of engineers on top of that. Those people aren't idle. Of course I've also been spoiled by iOS shipping with CoreAudio... I never want to attempt media on Windows again and managed DirectX can kiss my left butt cheek.

duTrieux.
Oct 9, 2003

Shrimpy posted:

Does SmartGlass work for anything other than the 360? Could I remotely control a computer using it? I don't mean as a VPN, basically just using it as a mouse/keyboard for a computer/HTPC.

No, because the entire point of Xbox Smartglass is to interface with an Xbox 360. That's why it's called Xbox Smartglass.

Shrimpy
May 18, 2004

duTrieux. posted:

No, because the entire point of Xbox Smartglass is to interface with an Xbox 360. That's why it's called Xbox Smartglass.

I mean, my Zune Pass is now called Xbox Music, despite the fact that it'll never touch an Xbox. As of late, I've given up on trying to read into Microsoft naming conventions.

OldPueblo
May 2, 2007

Shrimpy posted:

I might be missing something but use the Remote Desktop metro app to control the desktop?

Stubb Dogg
Feb 16, 2007

loskat naamalle

Combat Pretzel posted:

Dicking around with the benchmark function of my current ongoing modular synth project, which has a plain C core (with math optimized to boot) and sheds a lot of overhead due to that, suggests that ARM CPUs can't deal with randomly scattered data access patterns.
Compared to x86, ARM CPUs are extremely memory bandwidth limited and caches are generally a lot smaller. Rearranging memory access pattern would probably help a lot even on S4, Cloverfield probably could handle it better as I heard big part why Intel Medfield was doing so well in benchmarks was much better memory controller.

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

Stubb Dogg posted:

Compared to x86, ARM CPUs are extremely memory bandwidth limited and caches are generally a lot smaller. Rearranging memory access pattern would probably help a lot even on S4, Cloverfield probably could handle it better as I heard big part why Intel Medfield was doing so well in benchmarks was much better memory controller.
Yeah. Right now, when you create a module, it'll create a port structure using memalloc. If you're casually adding them via the UI, it's almost guaranteed to be spread out. The benchmark code creates all 256 in a row, so they should be bunched up and fit in the cache after all.

Of course, I've taken the calculator and the internal/external port system of mine generates up to 722MB/s in the worst case. So that might be an issue. Right now the copies take 1300ms per second, using the current linked-list state list system, that copies stuff using a for-loop. Copying a whole memory block of same size using memcpy runs at just 440ms per second. Limiting the ARM version to 32 modules instead of 256 gets it down to estimated 55ms. A list in a block would also guarantee it'd fit in the L1 cache (256 a 8 ports of 64bit double x 2 = 16KB).

I guess I have to disable this and make the internal ones external for ARM. Then again, the math involved is expensive, too. My oscillator, currently the most expensive component, runs ~11x slower than on my Intel dev machine. The limit of 32 like mentioned before is necessary. This'll also limit the flexibility of a simulated modular synth. :|

Combat Pretzel fucked around with this message at 13:53 on Nov 1, 2012

Shrimpy
May 18, 2004

OldPueblo posted:

I might be missing something but use the Remote Desktop metro app to control the desktop?

Crap -- I just realized my post said VPN when I meant RDP. Basically, I don't want to log into the desktop like you would during a normal RDP session, I just want to control the computer -- basically use the computer as a keyboard and mouse for the HTPC while it's still displaying to my TV.

OldPueblo
May 2, 2007

This should probably go in the OP, the Windows Compatibility Center showing support for devices in RT:

http://www.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/compatibility/winrt/CompatCenter/Home

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

I like the way Windows highlights your touch interactions.

Also, is it possible to fingerpaint in OneNote MX? If so, where is that option buried? The only references to drawing I find mention specifically a pen.

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

The thread may be amused to hear that the Microsoft Surface is one of Oprah's Favorite Things this year. I am assured that this is a Big Deal. Hey, she got Obama the presidency, right? :v:

My reaction upon being told this was speculation that perhaps there was some kind of endorsement deal going on behind the scenes since Microsoft's marketing department apparently thinks very highly of product placement in general; I was immediately rebuked for even thinking of casting such aspersions on the integrity of Oprah's Favorite Things.

OldPueblo
May 2, 2007

Get Flash working on all websites via modifying the whitelist:

http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=1961793

Appears to work per thread testimonial. My attempt wasn't successful but it's an online university learning site and they might be using some other web technology as well that's referencing another domain, whatever. I'm still fiddling.

Super-NintendoUser
Jan 16, 2004

COWABUNGERDER COMPADRES
Soiled Meat

loquacius posted:

The thread may be amused to hear that the Microsoft Surface is one of Oprah's Favorite Things this year. I am assured that this is a Big Deal. Hey, she got Obama the presidency, right? :v:

My reaction upon being told this was speculation that perhaps there was some kind of endorsement deal going on behind the scenes since Microsoft's marketing department apparently thinks very highly of product placement in general; I was immediately rebuked for even thinking of casting such aspersions on the integrity of Oprah's Favorite Things.

There is no way that is not paid product placement.

Macichne Leainig
Jul 26, 2012

by VG
I went out and picked up a Vivo Tab RT today, and it's probably the best tablet I've used, and I own a Xoom and a HP Touchpad. I was tempting the new iPad but it was consistently more jerky and didn't feel as smooth as the Vivo in store.

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

All of the favorite things are paid endorsements.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BeastOfExmoor
Aug 19, 2003

I will be gone, but not forever.

Protocol7 posted:

it's probably the best tablet I've used, and I own a Xoom and a HP Touchpad.

This may not be quite the endorsement you intended.

• Locked thread