Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
pseudorandom name
May 6, 2007

There's already precedent for boring and/or silly names like Saratoga or Say My Name.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Funkmaster General
Sep 13, 2008

Hey, man, I distinctly remember this being an episode of Spongebob. :colbert:

RBA Starblade posted:

Didn't Activision or whoever ended up getting Bungie name drop a project named Marathon a while back or something?

Sort of. Bungie's contract with Activision has an oddly specific clause in it that says that when they're done making whatever they're making for them, they'll publish a different game under the title "Marathon." You can probably find the specifics if you look hard enough.

MickRaider
Aug 27, 2004

Now I smell like lemonade!
I just want to know if you can disable the waypoint above the flag carrier :(

V for Vegans
Jan 30, 2009
I like how the guy they were watching threw a tea bag in there at the last second, good way to end the stream.

MickRaider
Aug 27, 2004

Now I smell like lemonade!
Does anyone have a graph that shows player level distribution in Halo 3?

Evil Badman
Aug 19, 2006

Skills include:
EIGHT-FOOT VERTICAL LEAP

pseudorandom name posted:

There's already precedent for boring and/or silly names like Saratoga or Say My Name.

Saratoga was a set of battles during the American Revolution.

FishBulb
Mar 29, 2003

Marge, I'd like to be alone with the sandwich for a moment.

Are you going to eat it?

...yes...

Funkmaster General posted:

Sort of. Bungie's contract with Activision has an oddly specific clause in it that says that when they're done making whatever they're making for them, they'll publish a different game under the title "Marathon." You can probably find the specifics if you look hard enough.

Edited because I found the actual contract

Their are provisions in the contract that allow them to develop a new Marathon game, starting with a small team and increasing in size as the games they are contracted to make for Activision meet certain sales expectations. It starts small (like up to 5% of their total staff) but if they make Activision a lot of money (375 million) they can increase the teams size.

I have no idea if they will achieve those numbers of if Video Game Accounting is like Hollywood Accounting...

FishBulb fucked around with this message at 21:44 on Oct 31, 2012

pseudorandom name
May 6, 2007

Evil Badman posted:

Saratoga was a set of battles during the American Revolution.

Were these battles covered in amber or moving towards the sun?

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

AngryBooch posted:

For sure, I wish Infinity had stuck to that weird and unique naming scheme. Maybe Infinity is short for 'Reflection on Infinity' or something.

Agreed, I especially like In Amber Clad and Pillar of Autumn.

The Covenant ships always had the weirdest, most abstract names, Truth and Reconciliation, Solemn Penance, Shadow of Intent, Particular Justice, Ardent Prayer, Long Night of Solace, etc.

You're right, Infinity does sound lame now :/

Although, there was UNSC Savannah in Reach too, and that's pretty boring.

Punished Chuck
Dec 27, 2010

"Forward Unto Dawn" would have been a better name for the big new exploration ship designed to usher in a new era of prosperity for the first generation of mankind to know peace than the unremarkable ship that got cut in half and set adrift, I always thought.

Punished Chuck fucked around with this message at 22:52 on Oct 31, 2012

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

FishBulb posted:

I bought Mountain Dew GAMER FUEL

what is wrong with me, I don't even like Mountain Dew.

The day Halo 3 came out, my friend bought it and brought his 360 over to my house since I didn't have one at the time. We spent the whole night drinking Mountain Dew Gamer Fuel (since I think the launch of Halo 3 was the first time they made Gamer Fuel so it was brand new at the time) and co-opping the campaign. We finally finished at like 4AM. It was glorious :rock:

Maker Of Shoes
Sep 4, 2006

AWWWW YISSSSSSSSSS
DIS IS MAH JAM!!!!!!
Bought a pre order at GameStop. I know I should hate them more but the one next to my house is close, the employees are nice and actually play games and its not a horrible experience.

I'm a bad human.

InfinEight
Apr 25, 2007

What planet is this again?-- OH SHIT
Wasn't there a ship at some point in all the Halo fiction called Enduring Spirit? If not, they should have called the Infinity that, would have been a lot more majestic and evocative of it's nature and history.

Fuligin
Oct 27, 2010

wait what the fuck??

I like Infinity as the name of the ship, and "Infinity Slayer" as the new base gametype. I'm not sure exactly why, but it kind of harkens back to classic sci-fi, Marathon, that sense of "newness" and exploration that Halo: CE had when it first came out. The old UNSC naming conventions were cool, but infinity points to something more qualitatively new imo.

But I'm probably overthinking it.

-A n i m 8-
Feb 5, 2009
Vortex map walkthrough:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CUkUryrjaCo

Also this: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t3PVTX_r_N4

-A n i m 8- fucked around with this message at 23:36 on Oct 31, 2012

InfinEight
Apr 25, 2007

What planet is this again?-- OH SHIT

Fuligin posted:

I like Infinity as the name of the ship, and "Infinity Slayer" as the new base gametype. I'm not sure exactly why, but it kind of harkens back to classic sci-fi, Marathon, that sense of "newness" and exploration that Halo: CE had when it first came out. The old UNSC naming conventions were cool, but infinity points to something more qualitatively new imo.

But I'm probably overthinking it.

You're not over thinking it, you just summed it up. 'Infinity' sounds more akin to Marathon than it does to what we're used to in Halo, that's why it seems weird to some of us.

I don't want spoilers, but now I'm wondering if any of the characters, either in game or in a cutscene, say 'To Infinity, and beyond!"

Sultan Tarquin
Jul 29, 2007

and what kind of world would it be? HUH?!
Ah poo poo I couldn't afford to get the Limited Edition till just now and when I go to shopto to buy it they're all gone. They were in stock earlier today too :smithicide:

GuardianOfAsgaard
Feb 1, 2012

Their steel shines red
With enemy blood
It sings of victory
Granted by the Gods

Sultan Tarquin posted:

Ah poo poo I couldn't afford to get the Limited Edition till just now and when I go to shopto to buy it they're all gone. They were in stock earlier today too :smithicide:

I was in exactly the same boat. Try Zavvi, that's where I ended up ordering my LE from.

Sultan Tarquin
Jul 29, 2007

and what kind of world would it be? HUH?!

GuardianOfAsgaard posted:

I was in exactly the same boat. Try Zavvi, that's where I ended up ordering my LE from.

Yeah I was checking google and it's £75 now :psyduck:

I also totally forgot you can just reserve your copy on ShopTo then pay whenever. :smith:

TheGreatGildersneeze
Feb 24, 2001
My passive aggressive shilling for Microsoft has gone beyond weird obsession levels. I have no attachment to reality outside of my feelings for a plastic box. I should shut my fat fucking mouth and stop trying to do PR for a billion dollar corp

Maker Of Shoes posted:

Bought a pre order at GameStop. I know I should hate them more but the one next to my house is close, the employees are nice and actually play games and its not a horrible experience.

I'm a bad human.
Not entirely sure why you're a bad human. If you have a good retail experience at any company's B&M store, why should you feel guilty for shopping there over any other store?

empathe
Nov 9, 2003

>:|
The twitch archive of today's stream is having major playback issues for me. anyone else?

http://www.twitch.tv/343industries/b/337586280

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

WeaponGradeSadness posted:

"Forward Unto Dawn" would have been a better name for the big new exploration ship designed to usher in a new era of prosperity for the first generation of mankind to know peace than the unremarkable ship that got cut in half and set adrift, I always thought.

:eng101: Forward Unto Dawn is the cruiser the Chief was in at the end of Halo 3 that got bisected.

GuardianOfAsgaard
Feb 1, 2012

Their steel shines red
With enemy blood
It sings of victory
Granted by the Gods

Neddy Seagoon posted:

:eng101: Forward Unto Dawn is the cruiser the Chief was in at the end of Halo 3 that got bisected.

I think he knows that, he even said so in the bit you quoted.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"
What can I say but "whoops". I'd actually agree with that though, it is a much better name for a ship of exploration.

Neddy Seagoon fucked around with this message at 04:49 on Nov 1, 2012

Booties
Apr 4, 2006

forever and ever
At least Savannah has a lot of significance. It was the end of Sherman's rape and pillaging of the South because of how beautiful it is. It's also the name of a city on humanity's last well kept secret from the covenant.

Infinity just sucks, but I don't really care that much about it. 343 doesn't give a poo poo.

BrokenKnees
Aug 28, 2008

Ow.
If they bring back the IWHBYD skull, it'd be perfect if it changed all the dialogue from "UNSC Infinity" to "UNSC Under New Management"

Booties
Apr 4, 2006

forever and ever
No visible ranks: CONFIRMED.

What the gently caress? That's like the easiest thing to do to make the MLG/hardcore crowd shut the gently caress up.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

BrokenKnees posted:

If they bring back the IWHBYD skull, it'd be perfect if it changed all the dialogue from "UNSC Infinity" to "UNSC Under New Management"

Indie Scum! :commissar:

"UNSC Dreadnought" would clearly be the better name. :colbert:

Neddy Seagoon fucked around with this message at 05:24 on Nov 1, 2012

Funkmaster General
Sep 13, 2008

Hey, man, I distinctly remember this being an episode of Spongebob. :colbert:

That was confirmed, like, literally forever ago. Every other forum discussing Halo 4 is full of bitching about it. People here just haven't brought it up much because we're not dumb.

The thing is, visible ranks just lead to people arguing about their E-Penis all over the place. And excluding each other based on it. You have no idea how many parties (even custom game parties!) I ended up being kicked out of because I got stuck in one of the gold bar ranks in Halo 3.

The only reason people complain about it anyway is that they're idiots. It's still THERE, you just can't see it. It's the best of both worlds. The only things you gain by having ranks visible is bragging rights and the ability to filter out your friends by skill at Halo, neither of which are positive things to anyone over the age of 12.

pseudorandom name
May 6, 2007

Showing people their TrueSkill rank in Halo 3 rank lead directly to them deliberately subverting the system, at which point they're either playing beyond their skill level and having no fun while dragging their team down or they're playing way below their skill level in order to stomp unskilled which isn't any fun for the low skill players.

Kobayashi
Aug 13, 2004

by Nyc_Tattoo
I wish 343 would troll the pro forums and find the winiest bitches around to bring in and beta test the game, then watch them and remove or rebalance everything that makes them happy.

kirbyabc
Mar 2, 2004
:-)

Funkmaster General posted:

That was confirmed, like, literally forever ago. Every other forum discussing Halo 4 is full of bitching about it. People here just haven't brought it up much because we're not dumb.

The thing is, visible ranks just lead to people arguing about their E-Penis all over the place. And excluding each other based on it. You have no idea how many parties (even custom game parties!) I ended up being kicked out of because I got stuck in one of the gold bar ranks in Halo 3.

The only reason people complain about it anyway is that they're idiots. It's still THERE, you just can't see it. It's the best of both worlds. The only things you gain by having ranks visible is bragging rights and the ability to filter out your friends by skill at Halo, neither of which are positive things to anyone over the age of 12.
There's the fun challenge of getting good and reaching the top rank? (halo 2&3 style, not like Reach). I'm 12 btw.

V for Vegans
Jan 30, 2009

kirbyabc posted:

There's the fun challenge of getting good and reaching the top rank? (halo 2&3 style, not like Reach). I'm 12 btw.

You still have the accumulative rank to rank up, but eventually everyone will get high up on the by playing long enough. Most games now hide the true skill, and in games like battlefield, you can find it if you want, but it is very complicated. Still leads to people bragging about it though. If you're good at a game, you will beat other players and win most games, you don't need an extra number beside your name to prove that.

ironlung
Dec 31, 2001

5 years later and we are still whining about the ranking system

never change, halo thread

kirbyabc
Mar 2, 2004
:-)
Have they said anything about how ranked/social or whatever is gonna work in this? Like is the arena coming back?

TheOneAndOnlyT
Dec 18, 2005

Well well, mister fancy-pants, I hope you're wearing your matching sweater today, or you'll be cut down like the ugly tree you are.

V for Vegans posted:

You still have the accumulative rank to rank up, but eventually everyone will get high up on the by playing long enough. Most games now hide the true skill, and in games like battlefield, you can find it if you want, but it is very complicated. Still leads to people bragging about it though. If you're good at a game, you will beat other players and win most games, you don't need an extra number beside your name to prove that.
And on top of that all ranking systems inevitably lead to people who are not at the top bitching about how the ranks are measured the wrong way, because you see, if the ranks TRULY measured skill, they'd be listed as the best player ever all of the time.

Or people raising accounts to the highest rank and loving selling them to spergy kids with too much money, who will lose the rank in less than a day after losing a bunch of matches to people who were actually capable of obtaining the rank legitimately.

Or people who, for whatever reason, will buy a new account just so they can be at the lowest rank and totally own everyone else.

Visible ranking systems are loving useless.

Booties
Apr 4, 2006

forever and ever
^^^ This guy gets it. edit; wait, no he doesn't I totally timed this wrong oh well. It's FUNNY AS poo poo that kids were buying 50s. Why would you not want that?

Drop in/drop out, quit bans, etc are good start. Give people dedicated servers and you never have to hear anyone bitch about anything. Ever.

And the whole "rampant abuse of the system" is an overstatement. I played more matches of halo 3 than most people in this thread (outside of custom games) and I didn't think boosters were that big of a deal. It wasn't as easy to manipulate halo 3 as it was halo 2, and I'm sure 4 would be even more difficult. And just because you're manipulating the system doesn't mean you have more skill that isn't being reflected. Half of those kids were lame anyway and were even more fun to beat because they got mad.

And the ranks weren't confirmed, like, you know, forever ago because nothing was really confirmed unless you had a primary source that played the game and even then changes could occur. I heard a lot of stuff that they were implementing a system that would please the competitive crowd from good sources. It may still change after release, who knows.

Anyway, to make a point, it's stupid as poo poo that 343 spent so much time and money on FUD, shiny tin boxes, grifball, oddball, and a loving zombies variant that includes new flood models for players all while removing assault, changing CTF for the worse, and literally saying nothing about ranks for a year.

I'm going to play this game no matter what, but I just don't get why they make some of these decisions. It's fun to make numbers go up. It's more fun when there is something on the line. Getting points for literally everything takes the excitement out of every match and makes for a pretty flat game over a short amount of time.

Booties fucked around with this message at 06:23 on Nov 1, 2012

monkeu
Jun 1, 2000

by Reene
IGN review just went up:

http://www.ign.com/articles/2012/11/01/halo-4-review

9.8/10

BattleTech
Jun 6, 2010

Is this easy mode?
Fun Shoe
Giantbomb review: http://www.giantbomb.com/halo-4/61-35533/reviews/

4/5

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheGreatGildersneeze
Feb 24, 2001
My passive aggressive shilling for Microsoft has gone beyond weird obsession levels. I have no attachment to reality outside of my feelings for a plastic box. I should shut my fat fucking mouth and stop trying to do PR for a billion dollar corp

ign posted:

Few game series are known as much for their music as Halo, and thus much has been made of British electronica producer Neil Davidge taking over for the beloved Bungie incumbent, Marty O’Donnell. It’s a bold shift – and probably wise of 343 to go in a tonally different direction rather than attempt to emulate O’Donnell – but the results are mixed. The trademark monk chants are gone, and Davidge’s moody tunes are complementary rather than additive. The new tracks simply aren’t memorable and never elevate the action happening on the screen the way that O’Donnell’s bombastic scores did, though this may be intentional, as Davidge’s compositions are decidedly atmospheric.
Welp, can't say I didn't see that coming.

• Locked thread