Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
bootleg robot
Dec 8, 2004

The "content filter" is super simple, and not worth putting effort into. You're all big boys and girls, just disable it after installing.

bootleg robot fucked around with this message at 04:54 on Nov 28, 2012

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

WattsvilleBlues
Jan 25, 2005

Every demon wants his pound of flesh

bootleg robot posted:

The "content filter" is super simple, and not worth putting effort into. You're all big boys and girls, just disable it after installing.

Jesus, never even saw that option. Cheers. Any idea what's causing the error when I tap a thread?

Maneki Neko
Oct 27, 2000

bootleg robot posted:

Thanks so much for all the work on this!

WattsvilleBlues posted:

Jesus, never even saw that option. Cheers. Any idea what's causing the error when I tap a thread?

Do you have debug mode on? I noticed that made it a lot crankier in general.

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

Let me just say the content filter is hilarious. It censored the name of the Massachusetts LAN thread to "M***achusetts." :v: It's really ridiculous what they made you do to get this update out. Works great after I found the option to disable it, though. Thanks again for maintaining this and putting up with all the bureaucracy. :)

The Lord Bude
May 23, 2007

ASK ME ABOUT MY SHITTY, BOUGIE INTERIOR DECORATING ADVICE

loquacius posted:

Let me just say the content filter is hilarious. It censored the name of the Massachusetts LAN thread to "M***achusetts." :v: It's really ridiculous what they made you do to get this update out. Works great after I found the option to disable it, though. Thanks again for maintaining this and putting up with all the bureaucracy. :)

My impression is that since everyone knows that the very notion of a member of this forum using a mature language filter is absurd, he put in the very barest of minimum efforts because he knew everyone would turn it off.

Besides it adds comedy value.

bootleg robot
Dec 8, 2004

Not a problem, I'm glad you guys like using it. I couldn't tell you the last time I used the phone's browser to view SA.

Version 2.0 and beyond will stay on WP 7.5, since WP8 is supposedly backwards compatible with preexisting apps (mostly because I'm not upgrading to 8 anytime soon; maybe I'll throw out an "Awful HD" version to take advantage of the resolution?). A Windows Store version is in the works, however, and will be available to try out as soon as I figure out how I want the layout to look.

obeyasia posted:

Any fundamental changes we will see? Support for higher WP8 resolutions? New features? What can you tell us?

For the phone, the layout is basically the same, with a few minor changes:
  • Private messaging support
  • Forums are sorted by group (main, discussion, etc.); no more alphabetical order.
  • Subforums are hidden by a dropdown control on the parent (Awful for the iPad does this, it's very nice)
  • Thread listings show more information -- rating, icon. I'm having a bit of trouble coming up with a layout that will present this info without looking ugly and having limited horizonal real estate...
  • True swiping to navigate thread pages -- animations match touch gestures
  • As you browse a forum's thread list, additional threads from the next page will automagically append to the list
  • Color themes

That's about it off of the top of my head. If you guys have any layout requests or feature requests, I'd be happy to consider them.

nielsm
Jun 1, 2009

The Lord Bude posted:

My impression is that since everyone knows that the very notion of a member of this forum using a mature language filter is absurd, he put in the very barest of minimum efforts because he knew everyone would turn it off.

Besides it adds comedy value.

I would like to request a special case for gently caress. Even if nobody will ever see it.

WattsvilleBlues
Jan 25, 2005

Every demon wants his pound of flesh

nielsm posted:

I would like to request a special case for gently caress. Even if nobody will ever see it.

Sven stuff like documents gets hashed out. Thank God Microsoft is protecting the children from our documental profanity.

I'm curious who came up with the filter list, bootleg robot or some MS employee writing down a list of stuff he didn't want to see, just some Tourette's-suffering keyboarder, writing down whatever came out of his mouth...

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal
I know for Microsoft programmers there is a tool that scans code / comments for potentially offensive words in many different languages. I don't remember what that's called though. Not exactly the same thing but it's funny.

kapinga
Oct 12, 2005

I am not a number

WattsvilleBlues posted:

Sven stuff like documents gets hashed out. Thank God Microsoft is protecting the children from our documental profanity.

I'm curious who came up with the filter list, bootleg robot or some MS employee writing down a list of stuff he didn't want to see, just some Tourette's-suffering keyboarder, writing down whatever came out of his mouth...

This is something Bootleg Robot hacked together in minimal time to pass MS's content filter. MS isn't writing code for an app like this. It's a crappy filter because it's intended to be turned off. Why it has to be present at all? Bureaucracy.

That said, having it use the forums censor would be quite fun. I don't know if anyone actually wants to spend the time to write it though.

Bootleg Robot: Have you communicated at all with the goons in the [url="http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3514014&userid=0&perpage=40&pagenumber=3"Win8 App thread[/url] that are all working on their own SA app? I haven't seen you post in there.

bootleg robot
Dec 8, 2004

Neat, I won't bother, then. I'll lend my Core API to save them some dev time if they want.

Ringo R
Dec 25, 2005

ช่วยแม่เฮ็ดนาแหน่เดัอ
I have to turn off the content filter everytime I open the app :( Seems like it just can't remember the settings.

New Yorp New Yorp
Jul 18, 2003

Only in Kenya.
Pillbug

bootleg robot posted:

Not a problem, I'm glad you guys like using it. I couldn't tell you the last time I used the phone's browser to view SA.

Version 2.0 and beyond will stay on WP 7.5, since WP8 is supposedly backwards compatible with preexisting apps (mostly because I'm not upgrading to 8 anytime soon; maybe I'll throw out an "Awful HD" version to take advantage of the resolution?). A Windows Store version is in the works, however, and will be available to try out as soon as I figure out how I want the layout to look.

For the phone, the layout is basically the same, with a few minor changes:
  • Private messaging support
  • Forums are sorted by group (main, discussion, etc.); no more alphabetical order.
  • Subforums are hidden by a dropdown control on the parent (Awful for the iPad does this, it's very nice)
  • Thread listings show more information -- rating, icon. I'm having a bit of trouble coming up with a layout that will present this info without looking ugly and having limited horizonal real estate...
  • True swiping to navigate thread pages -- animations match touch gestures
  • As you browse a forum's thread list, additional threads from the next page will automagically append to the list
  • Color themes

That's about it off of the top of my head. If you guys have any layout requests or feature requests, I'd be happy to consider them.

Do you want/need any help porting the codebase to Windows Store? I'd love a good forums reader for my Surface and if someone else did 90% of the work already I feel like a tool duplicating the effort.

bootleg robot
Dec 8, 2004

Ringo R posted:

I have to turn off the content filter everytime I open the app :( Seems like it just can't remember the settings.

Is it just the forums list that is remaining filtered, or all content? I'm having issues with the forums still appearing censored with the filter off, but all threads and posts show up fine.

Ithaqua posted:

Sure! That would be great. Send me a PM whenever you feel like getting started.

Ringo R
Dec 25, 2005

ช่วยแม่เฮ็ดนาแหน่เดัอ
All content, I'm afraid. Even usernames.

nielsm
Jun 1, 2009

There seems to be a problem with [code] tag formatting. I was reading the C++ small questions thread this morning, and all the code samples were completely jumbled and basically unreadable. (It seemed the line breaks had been removed.)

bootleg robot
Dec 8, 2004

nielsm posted:

There seems to be a problem with [code] tag formatting. I was reading the C++ small questions thread this morning, and all the code samples were completely jumbled and basically unreadable. (It seemed the line breaks had been removed.)

It's been a while since I looked at the formatting code, but I believe that this is by design. I couldn't think of a way to keep code blocks from "breaking tables" (which turns on the horizontal scroll that I find undesirable). Maybe I'll add a markdown view that's scrollable both horizontally and vertically.

If you can think of an alternative or compromise, I'm all ears.

bootleg robot fucked around with this message at 17:34 on Nov 9, 2012

nielsm
Jun 1, 2009

Turning [code] blocks into links (similar to how images and spoilers are handled) that get you to a separate, four-way-scrollable screen, would probably be the most sensible solution. Maybe analyse the contents first, and if it's just one or two lines show it in-line with line wrapping.

HighHobo
Aug 23, 2012
Why not code it in java?

Anonymouse Mook
Jul 12, 2006

Showing Vettel the way since 1979

I just got a Lumia 920 running WP8 and am not having much luck with the app.

I can login fine and see my bookmarks. Once I changed my options I could then see the number of new posts.

Whenever I try to go to a thread (from either the forum list or the bookmarks) it takes me to a thread page with the right title but loads no content, it just has the loading animation going perpetually. Also, if I go from a bookmark, it claims it is loading 'Page ? of X' (where X is the current number of pages in the thread)

Would this be an issue because of WP8 or have I missed something?

obeyasia
Sep 21, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Anonymouse Mook posted:

I can login fine and see my bookmarks. Once I changed my options I could then see the number of new posts.

Whenever I try to go to a thread (from either the forum list or the bookmarks) it takes me to a thread page with the right title but loads no content, it just has the loading animation going perpetually. Also, if I go from a bookmark, it claims it is loading 'Page ? of X' (where X is the current number of pages in the thread)

I am having the same issue on a Nokia 920.

bootleg robot
Dec 8, 2004

Anonymouse Mook posted:

Sounds like the app is crashing while loading up the thread page. Enable debug mode and send me the log data.

The "?" you see is because the app is loading the last read page, of which it has no idea until it's downloaded.

Anonymouse Mook
Jul 12, 2006

Showing Vettel the way since 1979

I have sent a couple of emails. One debug log and one error report it prompted me to send.

obeyasia
Sep 21, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Any idea what's causing that problem?

bootleg robot
Dec 8, 2004

obeyasia posted:

Any idea what's causing that problem?

It's hard to say; I've been unable to reproduce it and the stack trace is totally unhelpful. I'm thinking it's related to the Telerik library I use for some of the UI. Do you still have your WP7 phone? I'm wondering if it's solely WP8 related.

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

It's definitely a WP8 thing. Thread browsing worked perfectly before my upgrade and not at all afterward.

obeyasia
Sep 21, 2004

Grimey Drawer

loquacius posted:

It's definitely a WP8 thing. Thread browsing worked perfectly before my upgrade and not at all afterward.

Seconding this. Have my 900 and 920 side by side, 900 works as always and the 920 will load the forums index and my bookmarks but will not display threads.

Edward IV
Jan 15, 2006

Something I've been meaning to bring up is that this app cannot work at EDGE speeds. It'll try to load the thread list or thread page and then stop and say that it couldn't load the page.

Cromlech
Jan 5, 2007

TOODLES
Appreciate the work you've put into this app. It seems nice, but I'm waiting for the swear filter/WP8 load fix (confirmed that the 920 doesn't load pages whatsoever).

Would it be possible to retain where you were inside the app after you leave it? I'm under the impression that there's no "Force Closing" to WP apps since when you leave the instance, it's disabled. Seems to be a huge problem coming from iOS apps..

Cromlech fucked around with this message at 00:58 on Nov 14, 2012

Cutedge
Mar 13, 2006

How can we lose so much more than we had before

So starting yesterday (or maybe the day before, I can't recall), when I try to go to a forum it gives me a ":( Could not load the requested page. Hit refresh and try again." It seems to do this for all forums. Anyone else seeing this behavior?

App is great other than that. I do appreciate it!

kapinga
Oct 12, 2005

I am not a number

Cutedge posted:

So starting yesterday (or maybe the day before, I can't recall), when I try to go to a forum it gives me a ":( Could not load the requested page. Hit refresh and try again." It seems to do this for all forums. Anyone else seeing this behavior?

I had that Friday, but thought it might have been due to poor signal over Wifi. Trying it just now, I was able to load up a thread from bookmarks just fine.

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal
Well the site was down the other day.

ToG
Feb 17, 2007
Rory Gallagher Wannabe

Cutedge posted:

My app is doing this as well. Just tried it again there now and exactly the same behavior.

I'm using a HTC 7 Mozart running 7.10.7740.16 and connected through wifi. I've just installed the app for the first time. Maybe that's relevant?

Edit: Other issues. It asks me to log in each time, doesn't seem to be saving any of my settings either. On the Mozarts small screen, clicking on username and bringing up the onscreen keyboard covers the text box for password. And when typing the password it half covers the submit button.

ToG fucked around with this message at 16:23 on Nov 18, 2012

Cutedge
Mar 13, 2006

How can we lose so much more than we had before

kapinga posted:

I had that Friday, but thought it might have been due to poor signal over Wifi. Trying it just now, I was able to load up a thread from bookmarks just fine.

Loading threads from bookmarks works. It's loading the actual forums that gives the error.

Ringo R
Dec 25, 2005

ช่วยแม่เฮ็ดนาแหน่เดัอ

Cutedge posted:

Yeah, same for me for the last two days I think. As bootleg robot's said, he's getting trolled by the universe :(

Mah phone:

bootleg robot
Dec 8, 2004

Ringo R posted:

Yeah, same for me for the last two days I think. As bootleg robot's said, he's getting trolled by the universe :(

Mah phone:

I hear all you guys, and I'm working on it! Work and school are taking up a good chunk of my time =(

syphon
Jan 1, 2001
Ever consider putting the source on something like Github? That way others can contribute and maybe fix some of these bugs while you're so slammed?

bootleg robot
Dec 8, 2004

syphon posted:

Ever consider putting the source on something like Github? That way others can contribute and maybe fix some of these bugs while you're so slammed?

I wanted to upload the code to codeplex at some point, but Github works too. I'm more familiar with subversion, but after reading some tutorials, I'm sad I waited so late to learn.

Anyway: Awful on GitHub

I've only uploaded version 1.x so far; 2.x is soon to follow. You wont be able to compile without the Telerik libraries, and sharing them seems to venture into :filez: territory. If anyone wants to pitch in, toss me an email or send me a PM.

Drastic Actions
Apr 7, 2009

FUCK YOU!
GET PUMPED!
Nap Ghost

bootleg robot posted:

I wanted to upload the code to codeplex at some point, but Github works too. I'm more familiar with subversion, but after reading some tutorials, I'm sad I waited so late to learn.

Anyway: Awful on GitHub

I've only uploaded version 1.x so far; 2.x is soon to follow. You wont be able to compile without the Telerik libraries, and sharing them seems to venture into :filez: territory. If anyone wants to pitch in, toss me an email or send me a PM.

Looking at this makes me really want to throw out all the models I was making for my Windows 8 project. Yours are much more logical than the inane bloated crap I'm using for mine, that's for sure.

For version 2, are you still going to use those Telerik libraries?

Also, sending a PM about helping out.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cromlech
Jan 5, 2007

TOODLES
Glad to see work starting back up on this app. I bet I'll love browsing SA through the minimalist style of Metro.

• Locked thread