Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
wdarkk
Oct 26, 2007

Friends: Protected
World: Saved
Crablettes: Eaten

MrCinos posted:

Excuse me for being impatient (I just can't have enough of Tales (SS)LPs), but is this postponed for a while?

I've got ~life stuff~ going on that's interfering with it. I'm hoping to get it started soonish still.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bacter
Jan 27, 2012

Nie wywoluj wilka z lasu, glupku.
Hullo all. So obviously you don't need to watch these all in sandcastle - this is just my proposed format for my OP. The bro-op and pro run sections are what you'll want to turn your attention to for quality control questions.

Friends, let us!

ABOUT THIS LP

Wot's this then?

The Dagger of Amon Ra is the sequel to The Colonel's Bequest, a murder mystery adventure game made by Sierra entertainment and released in 1992. It features, like the first game, protagonist Laura Bow, and lots of people around her who die in messy ways.

So... it's the same game then.

Not at all! I mean sort of. The Laura Bow series is sort of based around Agatha-Christie style mysteries, which that yes, our protagonist will encounter people dropping like flies wherever they go. There will also be some kind of mystery to be solved relating to said dying people.

That said, this is a VERY different game. The art is different, there's voice acting, the gameplay feels different, and the mystery is MUCH more involved. We'll get into that more in the LP.

Spoilers?

No spoilers. None, not even in spoilertags, thanks. This is a mystery game, after all, and the whole point is finding out what all happened!

So what are all these videos?

Bro-op: Alright so for each update we'll have a Bro-op portion with myself and my two handsome* guests, Mzbundifund and Skippy Granola. This will be the bulk of the LP, it's the straight up play-through.

This is going to be a guided exploration essentially. I want people to see what it's like to actually PLAY one of these games, and not just get a tour of psychic Laura and her Uncanny Prescience. That said, nobody wants to watch Mzbundifund and Skippy click everything for ten hours waiting to find the perfect combination of items to progress. Not that that's really a problem in this game anyway, but you get the idea.

I'll let them bumble around, and we'll see what we see. We'll have to solve the mystery at the end based on the clues THEY find, not on ALL the clues, like in the Colonel's Bequest! I think this is a far superior way to do these mystery LPs.

Pro run: This section will go over what Laura needs to do to get the top grade for every section. Believe it or not, I can actually mange this without (many) spoilers.

Most of the game is conversation and being in the right place at the right time, but all the game actually grades you on is did you perform the correct actions, and get all the entries in your notebook.

I'll also be showing off some of my favorite parts of the LP if we miss them (there is a LOT of content in this game), and always showing my favorite voice acted lines.

For whatever reason, the voice actors are stuck in my head permanently. I could give a decent impression of the delivery and cadence of most of the lines in this game. It could be because the voicing is superlative, or just because I played this game when I was young, but I feel like I need to share it with you all.

You played this game when you were young, huh? How'd you do?

Awful. Worst ending. Same as Colonel's Bequest. These games are TOUGH! And the "time marches on" thing still applies here. You can miss a BUNCH.

Anyway, third and final video - Speak easy?

That's pretty much like "after hours" from the Colonel's Bequest. Historical information, character information, interviews, etc.

Mezurya
Dec 31, 2011

That's how I do!

Bacter posted:

Hullo all. So obviously you don't need to watch these all in sandcastle - this is just my proposed format for my OP. The bro-op and pro run sections are what you'll want to turn your attention to for quality control questions.

Was wonderin' when you'd do this, I really enjoyed your LP of the first game.

I think it looks pretty good, myself. And yes, the voice acting is fantastic. "Ahm Laura Bow an' ahm frum the south!"

Azure Dreamer
Oct 14, 2012

wearing sunglasses makes me a cool kid

asymmetrical posted:

I (try) to operate under the unwritten rule "if you don't have anything worthwhile to add, don't post," and I feel like many other lurkers do as well. LPers should keep in mind that people are reading / watching, just don't have much, if anything, to add. :shobon:

This is pretty much my philosophy. If I don't have anything worth the :10bux: this account cost me, I don't say anything at all.

That said, I do make an effort to participate in discussion, especially in quieter threads. I mean, what's the point of having a forums account if you're just gonna lurk and not say anything ever?

SpruceZeus
Aug 13, 2011

Getting around the paywall. :v:

asymmetrical
Jan 29, 2009

the absence or violation of symmetry

Author-Man posted:

I mean, what's the point of having a forums account if you're just gonna lurk and not say anything ever?
Paywall, as mentioned, access to archived threads, no interstitial ads, etc. :v:

Camel Pimp
May 17, 2008

This poster survived LPing Lunar: Dragon Song. Let's give her a hand.
Actually, in the vein of the whole "people posting in your thread" discussion, I kinda had a question. How bad is it to ask for some replies to bump the thread to the next page? I hate asking for it, I really do, but I don't want the thread to get too badly clogged up. I dunno; how do you guys handle it?

unpronounceable
Apr 4, 2010

You mean we still have another game to go through?!
Fallen Rib

asymmetrical posted:

Paywall, as mentioned, access to archived threads, no interstitial ads, etc. :v:

SpruceZeus posted:

Both of you are wrong. People buy accounts to get around the word filter. Gently caress you if you think otherwise.

Sylphid
Aug 3, 2012

Camel Pimp posted:

Actually, in the vein of the whole "people posting in your thread" discussion, I kinda had a question. How bad is it to ask for some replies to bump the thread to the next page? I hate asking for it, I really do, but I don't want the thread to get too badly clogged up. I dunno; how do you guys handle it?

I asked that recently, and generally it depends on a few factors. The most important is how many updates are on a page. If you're in my shoes and have like four on one page, then yeah, it's time to ask people to post until there's a new page, or you could just do it yourself with a triple post or something.

If you're only two or three posts away from a new page, I'd say just do it yourself.

slowbeef
Mar 15, 2005

Will Harvey hates you, and everything you stand for.
Pillbug

Camel Pimp posted:

I think this is fine in a screenshot LP. I don't mind it because posting multiple updates on a single page can bog down your browser.

SpruceZeus
Aug 13, 2011

unpronounceable posted:

Both of you are wrong. People buy accounts to get around the word filter. Gently caress you if you think otherwise.

no gently caress you, you lovely rear end in a top hat! :argh:

Azure Dreamer
Oct 14, 2012

wearing sunglasses makes me a cool kid

unpronounceable posted:

I, for one, found that the word filter made posts more funny than they would have been if the word filter weren't there :colbert:

SpruceZeus posted:

no gently caress you, you lovely rear end in a top hat! :argh:

Case in point.

SpruceZeus posted:

Enh, fair enough. I'd still personally rather contribute something or else I'll feel like I wasted :10bux:

Nidoking
Jan 27, 2009

I fought the lava, and the lava won.

Bacter posted:

I like the format... going to wait for the actual thread to watch the videos, but it reminds me of what you did in the first thread, minus the three continuities. Speaking of which, I highly recommend that you link to the LP Archive entry for the first game in your OP. Not everyone who reads your new thread (or finds the entry in the LP Archive someday) will have seen the earlier LP, and it needs to be seen. I think this is a pretty common practice for LPs of sequels.

Lance Streetman
Feb 20, 2011

A parfait is a dessert, but it is also the French word for perfect.

Camel Pimp posted:

Just make sure you have actual content. Don't ask for a new page if you might kinda sorta have an update (in a week, perhaps).

Not that I've done this myself. What would make you think that?

Bacter
Jan 27, 2012

Nie wywoluj wilka z lasu, glupku.

Nidoking posted:

I like the format... going to wait for the actual thread to watch the videos, but it reminds me of what you did in the first thread, minus the three continuities. Speaking of which, I highly recommend that you link to the LP Archive entry for the first game in your OP. Not everyone who reads your new thread (or finds the entry in the LP Archive someday) will have seen the earlier LP, and it needs to be seen. I think this is a pretty common practice for LPs of sequels.

That is a great idea - it is so!

Camel Pimp
May 17, 2008

This poster survived LPing Lunar: Dragon Song. Let's give her a hand.

Lance Streetman posted:

Just make sure you have actual content. Don't ask for a new page if you might kinda sorta have an update (in a week, perhaps).

Not that I've done this myself. What would make you think that?

I actually discouraged the thread from post-spamming for a new page because of this reason.

Now I feel stupid.

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

slowbeef posted:

I think it depends on when you do it. Encouraging thread participation is a tricky sort of thing, and I personally like the "submit your own videos" kind of paradigm.

One of the things I did in Super Metroid that I tried to do (not as well) in Prime was to respond to people in the thread. Like if people ask questions, you can answer them in the thread, sure, but if you answer them in the videos, it's neat. Everybody likes hearing their name.

Maybe that's cheating. I dunno.

Ogre Lift posted:

Yeah, fanart can be difficult to encourage. In my first thread, I made a competition with forums upgrade rewards to start things off which is SORTA cheating, but it certainly inspired content. Other than that, its always important to thank people for their contributions when they do make them. Making fanart takes a whole bunch of time so the least you can do is tell them they're great and put their stuff into the OP.

Then again, I will admit that I've been lucky with my threads and people seem to like drawing things based on dumb poo poo I say or silly characterisation I force onto background characters.

Maybe this is just me, but I don't think that cheating is the right word for this kind of stuff. Contests and audience participation are time-tested tools for driving up viewership, and I see nothing wrong with utilizing either of them. They don't even have to be monetary contests (forums bux or whatever), Azzur in the Warcraft threads drew cool stuff for people who won his contests.

poo poo, even just a shoutout ("Forums post XXX got the correct answer!") can be cool

BrainWeasel
May 8, 2007

I'll reattach your arm when I hit fucking Level 2!
Speaking of thread participation -- thanks for the advice on my IZJS videos, everyone. Thread is up and submissions are open for the first two Jobs.

Cooked Auto
Aug 4, 2007

BrainWeasel posted:

Speaking of thread participation -- thanks for the advice on my IZJS videos, everyone. Thread is up and submissions are open for the first two Jobs.

I'm gonna ask here as I didn't feel like fouling up the actual thread but is there any reason as to why the embedded function is turned off for the videos? I'm kinda curious and because SALR gives me a bigger video window than what YT does without having to do full screen I kinda prefer watching YT videos via that.

BrainWeasel
May 8, 2007

I'll reattach your arm when I hit fucking Level 2!

Cooked Auto posted:

I'm gonna ask here as I didn't feel like fouling up the actual thread but is there any reason as to why the embedded function is turned off for the videos? I'm kinda curious and because SALR gives me a bigger video window than what YT does without having to do full screen I kinda prefer watching YT videos via that.

Oh, I didn't know SALR did that. I've reenabled it.

Cooked Auto
Aug 4, 2007

BrainWeasel posted:

Oh, I didn't know SALR did that. I've reenabled it.

Much appreciated. :)

Yukitsu
Oct 11, 2012

Snow=Yuki
Fox=Kitsune
Snow Fox=Yukitsu, ne?
Post has gone from test to live. Big thanks to Steinrokken.

Hamsterlady
Jul 8, 2010

Corpse Party, bitches.

Original Cover Art

9 people have been kidnapped and placed on a sinking ship. Their captor, known only as Zero, brought them to this ship to play the Nonary Game, a game where you put your life on the line. In order to win the game -- and survive -- they have 9 hours to find the door marked with a 9: the door to freedom.

Zero Escape: 9 Hours, 9 Persons, 9 Doors is the first game in the Zero Escape series (originally released simply as 9 Hours, 9 Persons, 9 Doors, it was recently rebranded to associate it with its sequel, Zero Escape: Virtue's Last Reward). 999 is a visual novel with some adventure game elements.

The game is divided into two sections: Novel sections, where people talk a whole lot and you mostly read text with the occasional dialog branch; and Escape sections, where you're trapped in a room and have to solve puzzles to escape. Similarly, this LP will have two sorts of updates: Novel updates, where commentary will be scarce and I mostly let the game speak for itself; and Escape updates, during which I will take an informative approach.

999 has multiple endings, and I'll be showing them all off. For our first trip through the game, I'll be letting the readers pick all of the route-altering dialog options. After we get that ending, I'll take us through the rest one at a time (skipping or summarizing repeated content, of course) until we've seen them all.

:siren:Do not post spoilers for 999 or Virtue's Last Reward in this thread, not even in spoiler tags.:siren:
As a Visual Novel, obviously the plot is the main draw of 999. It would ruin the experience for someone to accidentally hover over a spoiler or for someone to forget a close spoiler tag or something, so just don't post spoilers at all. Speculation is fine, of course.

Lastly, some important information on how the LP will be formatted:

999 has a bunch of different dialog presented in different formats, so here's a sort of "key" to how I'll be formatting text in this LP so you're able to differentiate.

Regular dialog will always be associated with a mugshot and will be in regular text, unless text is bolded or italicized in-game.

Junpei's inner monologue will always be associated with his mugshot, and will always be in italics.

Narrative text will be presented in regular text, and will never be associated with a mugshot.

My commentary will be presented in fixed-width font, with no mugshot.

Test Post 1, Escape: Third Class Cabin
Test Post 2, Novel: The Grand Staircase, Part 2

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Robots confuse squirrels.

I think there's a lot in 999 that would be well served by gifs, to the point where I think some things need to be gif'd as a matter of course. Showing the start of an escape where each view of the room flashes up followed by the SEEK A WAY OUT screen would probably be a better solution for showing all the views of a room at once without doing a big screen dump. Some of the little character animations and door openings would probably look better as gifs as well.

whitehelm
Apr 20, 2008

njsykora posted:

I think there's a lot in 999 that would be well served by gifs, to the point where I think some things need to be gif'd as a matter of course. Showing the start of an escape where each view of the room flashes up followed by the SEEK A WAY OUT screen would probably be a better solution for showing all the views of a room at once without doing a big screen dump. Some of the little character animations and door openings would probably look better as gifs as well.

This stuff is already in the test post as youtube video.

My main concern is whether DarkHamsterLord is sure he or she is going to be able to stick with this until the end.

Hamsterlady
Jul 8, 2010

Corpse Party, bitches.

njsykora posted:

I agree that some of the animations would be best as gifs. I'll work on getting a few together for some of the character animations and doors.

The Seek a Way Out animation would work to show off the room instead of a picture dump, but do I need to get a gif together when I already have an embedded video of it?

whitehelm posted:

My main concern is whether DarkHamsterLord is sure he or she is going to be able to stick with this until the end.

That's the plan. 999 is one of my favorite games and I really want to show it off. I want to show people the game and see how they react to some of the crazier twists.

I also got my hands on a game script, so getting burnt out from transcribing a novel's worth of dialog isn't a concern.

Kanfy
Jan 9, 2012

Just gotta keep walking down that road.
A pretty funny timing on it, considering slowbeef was just about to LP the same game:

slowbeef posted:

But to say one thing, if you want to do a 999 LP, please don't let me stop you, and I'm happy to defer. But if you can't do it by early December, you'll have some competition!

You best make it a quality one now. :colbert:

HereticMIND
Nov 4, 2012

WHAT IS FALLOUT: NEW VEGAS?

"Fallout: New Vegas" is basically the most recent entry into the "Fallout" franchise.

To sum it up, it "stars" you as Courier Six, trying piece together a tangled web of lies, gambits, and mysteries in the Mojave Wasteland after you've been given the short end of the stick by a man named Benny over the highly valuable and equally mysterious Platinum Chip.

While that is going on, the forces of the New California Republic and Caesar's Legion are gathering up troops that could shape the entire face of the post-apocalyptic Western US in a battle for Hoover Dam.

It is said he who controls the Dam can control New Vegas, the main attraction and indeed the last "bastion" of the old world left untouched by the fires of the atom bomb.

In order to truly hold Vegas, however, you need the Chip...

WHAT ARE THE MAIN MECHANICS OF THIS GAME?

Ever play D&D? Well, this is kinda like that, except with guns, gambling, sex, and drugs. And sand, lots of sand...

Anyway, the main attributes are (from off the top of my head):

Strength,
Perception,
Endurance,
Charisma,
Intelligence,
Agility and
Luck.

A quick way to remember these stats is to use the mnemonic device "S.P.E.C.I.A.L," and indeed the game abbreviates it that way.

You start with (roughly) 40 points to put into your S.P.E.C.I.A.L stats (with five points already allocated to each stat, leaving five extra points for you to spend), and each stat can be lowered to a minimum of one and, inversely, be raised to a maximum of ten, which means that you can allocate about 33 out of the 40 points in anyway you see fit. This helpful article on the Fallout Wiki explains it a lot better than I can.

Another key mechanic is the skill system. Skills basically fall into two major categories:

Combat and Non-combat.

Combat skills govern skills that are combat related, such as explosives, energy weapons, melee weapons, and firearms. There's a neat formula on the Fallout Wiki on how final damage is calculated for "New Vegas."

If you don't meet a weapon's skill requirements, you're gonna suffer from decreased damage, slower rates of fire, frequently inaccurate shots due to the weapon wobbling, and a penalty to all shots fired while in VATS with said weapon.

Non-combat skills govern everything else, from weapon repair to hacking to lock-picking to bartering and beyond.

The third mechanic is the perk system. Every second level up in Fallout allows you to choose a perk (provided that you meet its requirements, of course).

Perks give you neat little bonuses, such as increased carry weight (a godsend if you're gonna be hauling tons and tons of poo poo across the Mojave to sell to the various merchants so you can upgrade your load-out and/or armor), better accuracy, increased damage vs. special types of enemies, and much more.

And you can earn perks as rewards for doing challenges, too, which means, for example, that you may earn a perk that let's you pick locks easier once you've successfully picked enough locks normally.

The Fallout Wiki has a comprehensive list of all the perks in "New Vegas," including the DLCs.

TEST POST #1

(How am I doing so far? Too wordy?)

Mico
Jan 29, 2011

A billion dollars.
Your test post is way too short. With only three screenshots it's really hard to get a feel for what an update will be like.

discworld is all I read
Apr 7, 2009

DAIJOUBU!! ... Daijoubu ?? ?
You seem to be missing some game play content for us to judge for this test post.

HelloWinter
May 27, 2012

"Hey, Nagito, what'cha
thinkin' about?"

"Oh, y'know. Murder stuff."

whitehelm posted:

The best advice I could give to DarkHamsterlord would be to try making something between 5-10 update entries before starting a thread. This will help them with three things to consider:

- They would be able to ascertain if there'd be any technical issues to resolve before opening a thread, and they'll have plenty of time to correct on them without having a thread/deadlines to worry about.
- They'll be able to figure out approximately how long it takes to make one update, so that they can plan their update schedule accordingly.
- Most important of all, to see if they won't get bored by the time they hit the 8th update or something like that.

On that note, as far as the technical stuff goes,

quote:

This should say "I think he just...screwed up.", I was a little quick on the screenshot key

Eyebrows went up, and Santa continued.

This is a major no-no, and I hope to dear God that I won't see anything of the sort in any of your updates once you open up a thread. It's easily avoidable, and it kills the continuity of a visual novel game. I would prefer to see a bit more commentary in your updates, but I can also understand your decision to exclude them. Anyway, 999 is a great game and I wish you good luck with your LP!

HelloWinter fucked around with this message at 04:51 on Nov 4, 2012

Hamsterlady
Jul 8, 2010

Corpse Party, bitches.

HelloWinter posted:

This is a major no-no, and I hope to dear God that I won't see anything of the sort in any of your updates once you open up a thread. It's easily avoidable, and it kills the continuity of a visual novel game.

Oh right, of course I plan on going back to fix that for the actual thread, I just didn't feel like it because I didn't notice until immediately before making the test post, at 3am. Should have mentioned that, I guess.

Scaly Haylie
Dec 25, 2004

DarkHamsterlord posted:

Oh right, of course I plan on going back to fix that for the actual thread, I just didn't feel like it because I didn't notice until immediately before making the test post, at 3am. Should have mentioned that, I guess.

If you're having trouble timing screenshots properly, don't take screenshots! Take video instead, and use VirtualDubMod to grab screens from the source video. It's done wonders for me, and source video means you'll be able to get GIFs, too. But you'll need vanilla VirtualDub for that.

Orange Fluffy Sheep
Jul 26, 2008

Bad EXP received
I'm abusing frame advance like a motherfucker for my Pokemon White LP since I don't have the hard drive space for video.

HereticMIND
Nov 4, 2012

Niggurath posted:

You seem to be missing some game play content for us to judge for this test post.

Mico posted:

Your test post is way too short. With only three screenshots it's really hard to get a feel for what an update will be like.

Oh, ok. Thanks for the feedback.

For the first test post, I decided to err on the side of caution because I didn't know if the thumbnails imgur (my imagehost of choice) created were too big, thus making the posts unreadable because the images were too huge. Plus, I forgot to take screencaps of some of the gameplay mechanics outside of the tutorial.

TEST POST--TAKE 2

Is that any better?

Orange Fluffy Sheep
Jul 26, 2008

Bad EXP received

Niggurath posted:

I don't know how you quote this, make a post to address this, and have the post still not have any gameplay content.

ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

Why does everyone think I'm going to get in trouble?

By gameplay content, we mean have some screenshots of something that's not cutscene. Something where you have control of your character would be nice.

HereticMIND
Nov 4, 2012

Orange Fluffy Sheep posted:

I don't know how you quote this, make a post to address this, and have the post still not have any gameplay content.

Whoops. Misread on my part. Fixing that now with a test post of nothing but gameplay (well, character creation, really, and some of the tutorial, but still).

This should fix that problem.

Suspicious Dish
Sep 24, 2011

2020 is the year of linux on the desktop, bro
Fun Shoe
Is that what a typical update will look like? Five screenshots and some "oh hey these are some screenshots not much to look at"?

Imagine you're beginning to midway of your LP, and you're preparing your next post. That means you're done with the character creation, done with the tutorial, etc.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Color Printer
May 9, 2011

You get used to it. I don't
even see the code. All I see
is Ipecac, Scapular, Polyphemus...

Yes. You can take screenshots and provide narrative commentary over the intro. Well done.

Now how about putting them together? Actual gameplay screenshots with some commentary.

EDIT: I mean I guess from a technical standpoint it looks alright, the screenshots aren't too bad, they could be a little bigger, I'm just a little confused as to what I'm supposed to be saying here.

• Locked thread