Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Strenuous Manflurry
Sep 5, 2006

THE END

Peas and Rice posted:

Turns out I had started a Spotify playlist for this a while ago anyway. So gently caress it, it's all shared. If anyone has any recommendations or adds, I made it collaborative.

http://open.spotify.com/user/brothermagneto/playlist/3oWIk78aeEVNmqBwp2jrUt

This is awesome. Thanks for setting this up!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Slate Action
Feb 13, 2012

by exmarx
Brian Fargo on Twitter: "Wasteland 2 tidbit: We have more dialogue in just one map area of the sequel than in the entirety of Wasteland 1."

:circlefap:

Peas and Rice
Jul 14, 2004

Honor and profit.
I only care if it's in a paragraph book the size of the OED. :colbert:

quote:

This is awesome. Thanks for setting this up!

Very welcome! I haven't added anything in the last couple of days because I've been doing 14-hour shifts at work. :smith:

FRINGE
May 23, 2003
title stolen for lf posting
From the fb feed:

"inXile mascot and famed Wasteland 2 designer ..."

njark
Apr 26, 2008

Show them the Wasteland
Well i clearly need to get my money back from Fargo, Ducks fan? clearly he can't think straight. :colbert:

FRINGE
May 23, 2003
Shits gonna get real in the wasteland. (I hope I love perma-death stress as much as I did when I was way younger :v:)

http://www.vg247.com/2012/10/14/wasteland_2_fargo_talks_perma_death_squad_combat/

quote:

We asked Fargo about the consequences of hiring companions – particularly because some of them will actively steal items from the ground, betray you and other unscrupulous acts. It’s a bad world, and many people in it are devoid of morality.

Fargo explained, “When you start the game, you will create four rangers that you spec with the attributes and skills you want. Along the journey, you’ll also run into many other companion NPCs that can join your party.”

“Each of these NPC’s has a different personality and will have their advantages and disadvantages. Some might be incredibly annoying but have an useful skill that you might not want to live without. It’s all about choices and trade-offs in Wasteland.”

“We will indeed have perma-death in the game. If you make a bad decision and get a party member killed, they won’t come back. We committed to creating an old-school RPG experience and we are definitely looking to make this a hard core experience.”

“Once you’ve recruited a companion NPC into your party, you now control them in combat along with your other rangers. We have over 30 skills that can be acquired in the game and no one ranger will be able to be effective in all of them.”

“Success in the Wastelands is centred around creating and using a team that works well together based on the strategy you’re using. I might also add that many of the choices the player make might not be felt for many hours later. This is another way of making the decisions in Wasteland 2 permanent as players have to live with the outcomes they create.”

We also asked Fargo about Wasteland 2′s combat system, which takes an old school turn based format, but at high speed. The two seem to contradict one another, so we asked Fargo how it will work.

Fargo continued, “We love the strategy of turn-based games but sometimes, they can be monotonous in combat. We’ve played and studied many of the popular turn-based games from the last 20 years including Fallout Tactics, Temple of Elemental Evil, X-com, Final Fantasy Tactics, Jagged Alliance, and many others. ”

“One example of some “fat” we’re attempting to trim is the wait time you have during the enemy turn. If multiple enemies are in the rotation to act before a players character is, they will all move and attack together. We also hate being forced into a fight with enemies that you can mop the floor with.”

“Slowing down the experience for an incredibly easy combat encounter doesn’t really add anything to the game. You’ll be able to resolve that combat encounter quickly without it dragging the game down.”

Tellaris
Dec 23, 2005

Cat On Rope Entertainment: Random comments since 2004

It would be cool if the easy encounters were dealt with sort of like how Earthbound did it, just have the encounter end as soon as it started and give you whatever small amount of xp/money/items you would have gotten from the fight.

.DAT Azz
Jan 8, 2009

by Y Kant Ozma Post
I doubt they'll do that, I'm going to assume the combat in Wasteland 2 is going to be alot more strategic than Earthbound which was just picking an attack, item, or magic from a menu. The point of that in Earthbound was just to save you from picking 'bash' on every character. Wasteland 2 will have ammo, positioning of your party to consider.

No one is going to really want to fight lots of low exp, low reward mobs if they revist an early area though, so what they should take from Earthbound is having enemies run away from you, making encounters with them mostly optional. Also, if there's a overworld map you can travel with random encounters like Fallout I'd rather they'd just slightly scale up the enemies to make them more a challenge.

Taking interactivity away from the player is rarely a good thing.

Young Freud
Nov 26, 2006

.DAT Azz posted:

I doubt they'll do that, I'm going to assume the combat in Wasteland 2 is going to be alot more strategic than Earthbound which was just picking an attack, item, or magic from a menu. The point of that in Earthbound was just to save you from picking 'bash' on every character. Wasteland 2 will have ammo, positioning of your party to consider.

No one is going to really want to fight lots of low exp, low reward mobs if they revist an early area though, so what they should take from Earthbound is having enemies run away from you, making encounters with them mostly optional. Also, if there's a overworld map you can travel with random encounters like Fallout I'd rather they'd just slightly scale up the enemies to make them more a challenge.

Taking interactivity away from the player is rarely a good thing.

Yeah, I was thinking of Jagged Alliance 2 and it's combat auto-resolution feature, which would pop up if you ran into a patrol or a group of bloodcats while traveling. I almost shuddered when I thought about it. You would lose or injure more characters if you ran through the auto-resolve than if you actually played out the fight. Even highly-trained characters, who get poo poo like interrupts against enemy movement, would die without getting to pull off those abilities. I like the Earthbound thing you mentioned, it would make your characters more badass if you bandits stopped challenging you out of fear.

girth brooks part 2
Sep 6, 2011

Bush did 911
Fun Shoe

Young Freud posted:

Yeah, I was thinking of Jagged Alliance 2 and it's combat auto-resolution feature, which would pop up if you ran into a patrol or a group of bloodcats while traveling. I almost shuddered when I thought about it. You would lose or injure more characters if you ran through the auto-resolve than if you actually played out the fight. Even highly-trained characters, who get poo poo like interrupts against enemy movement, would die without getting to pull off those abilities. I like the Earthbound thing you mentioned, it would make your characters more badass if you bandits stopped challenging you out of fear.

Most auto-resolves do that even if you horribly outclass the enemy, which is annoying. Total Wars is the same usually, although it can be kind of screwy. In Rome I once a sent a royal I didn't much care for out by himself to get slaughtered by a nearby enemy nation. I kept using auto-resolve thinking he would get curb stomped, but he just kept winning battles for some reason. He single handedly destroyed entire armies, and subjugated a nation.

I think a neat middle ground for Wasteland, at least for human opponents, would be when they attacked you they'd recognize your band and then start begging for you to spare their lives and emptying their pockets. Maybe give you an option to execute them or something for a little xp but less loot (your guys won't know where they squirreled away the best stuff). I don't know what you'd do for non-sentient enemies, though.

Old Boot
May 9, 2012

Buglord
This all sounds well and good, but after just coming off of another playthrough of Mother 3 (well timed considering the Earthbound chatter), I can say without reservation that I will be facepalming if it turns into a matter of grinding, grinding, grinding er'ry day. I forgot how amazingly distracting that can be in regards to story/atmosphere. Granted, it doesn't help to be as ridiculously OCD as I am about it (to a point where I will grind until enemies in the current area will run away from me, and bosses go down in a matter of a few rounds-- i can't help it, i always, always do this in any game that has a leveling system, more in ones that require excessive grinding), so, to me, it always feels like a massive timesink.

That said, it'd be interesting if grinding inherently became a part of storylines, though. Some reward outside of just 'you could probably crush a boulder with your pinky finger or a harsh stare if you tried hard enough, and you now have more money than God,' that acknowledges the work you've done, and works it into the narrative.

On another note: I might get hissed at for this, but I am not against games that have a 'just play the narrative' option. There are times I want to challenge myself with the mechanics, and I'll always play a game 'straight' on my first play-through, but sometimes on round 2, I'll just go into the cheat options, make my character practically invincible, and play through it without having to screw around with combat, solely because I want to see the permutations of the story without having to spend hours and hours with leveling/make multiple save files that allow me to explore all those options.

I know that's anathema to some gamers, but, really, I'm pulling for a narrative-mode setting on this beyond just more interesting/intuitive grinding that incorporates itself into the story/character interactions/'in-game rumor mill' while still having the old-RPG vibe. Something you can unlock once you've beaten the game the way it's 'meant' to be played.

...This was meant to be a short comment. :( sob.

fakedit: great thread Quarex, been lurking on it for months now. real impressed with the enthusiasm of all its participants, too, it's been a real pleasure to watch the discussion.

SplitSoul
Dec 31, 2000

Peas and Rice posted:

Got Paris, Texas on there (except for the spoken track that's the depressing as poo poo story that HDS tells.)

Any particular 16 Horsepower albums I should add? There's several on Spotify.

Also check out A Small Good Thing and Justin Adams.

Woebin
Feb 6, 2006

An Old Boot posted:

On another note: I might get hissed at for this, but I am not against games that have a 'just play the narrative' option. There are times I want to challenge myself with the mechanics, and I'll always play a game 'straight' on my first play-through, but sometimes on round 2, I'll just go into the cheat options, make my character practically invincible, and play through it without having to screw around with combat, solely because I want to see the permutations of the story without having to spend hours and hours with leveling/make multiple save files that allow me to explore all those options.

I know that's anathema to some gamers, but, really, I'm pulling for a narrative-mode setting on this beyond just more interesting/intuitive grinding that incorporates itself into the story/character interactions/'in-game rumor mill' while still having the old-RPG vibe. Something you can unlock once you've beaten the game the way it's 'meant' to be played.
Options are good, let's have more options. Being able to choose to play only the narrative would be fine if optional, since it wouldn't affect those of us who don't want to use it.

Old Boot
May 9, 2012

Buglord

Woebin posted:

Options are good, let's have more options. Being able to choose to play only the narrative would be fine if optional, since it wouldn't affect those of us who don't want to use it.

Yeah, pretty much. I like playing the actual games-- be they combat-heavy or no-- just fine, most of the time, but like I said, there's plenty of times I just want to see the story, or wander through places that would normally be a pain in the rear end to get through because there's a pile of enemies I have to slag through to see any possible alterations to the narrative. Having the ability to wipe out (or at least, dim down) that kind of timesink on a second playthrough would be p. sweet, especially for those of us who find that our time to do multiple replays is more limited.

Not to say I wouldn't still go through multiple playthroughs if I was forced to grind (i have on many games), I just, you know. As you say: options are good, and having the game intact sans the necessity of combat would make me more willing to push through areas that are more tedious than others (rather than cheat my way through them as a sloppy kind of bypass). Even better if you can switch the 'narrative mode' on and off at your leisure.

And while we're on the topic of wishful thinking: I would like a pony, a new car, and a mansion to go with that.

BTW, has there been any mention of mechanics beyond just combat-based stuff, like the Fallout 1 and 2 skill list, dialogue alterations, etc, or are we too early in to be doing much more than speculating? (what would people be looking for with that? be interested in knowing if there's a wide range of different likes/dislikes in that respect.)

VVVV EDIT VVVV

Not necessarily. 'Dimming down' grinding sessions so they're less irritating to get through still allows for combat to retain narrative, it just cuts the difficulty level down to a point that doesn't require a ton of hours to go into it. Not too sure how it could be implemented past that, since I agree there'd be pitfalls, but yeah, I wasn't talking about 'get rid of the combat entirely' when I was talking about a narrative mode option.

Old Boot fucked around with this message at 16:54 on Oct 20, 2012

Symphoric
Apr 20, 2005

edit: ^^^^ I think what we really need is better balance between combat & story and better difficulty levels. I admit, I run through a lot of games on easy just to get to the story, but I'd never want to disconnect the combat completely.

Woebin posted:

If you do this, then you can never really have story injected into the combat or vice-versa. The game becomes broken into "story parts" and "combat parts" with a lovely sense of disconnect in between them. You end up with combat engine tacked on to a visual novel. If you want a visual novel then you should pretty much just play visual novels.

Symphoric fucked around with this message at 17:01 on Oct 20, 2012

Dr. Quarex
Apr 18, 2003

I'M A BIG DORK WHO POSTS TOO MUCH ABOUT CONVENTIONS LOOK AT THIS

TOVA TOVA TOVA

An Old Boot posted:

fakedit: great thread Quarex, been lurking on it for months now. real impressed with the enthusiasm of all its participants, too, it's been a real pleasure to watch the discussion.
:toot: Welcome to the land of milk and honey, An Old Boot! We really did pretty much stay firmly in the "excited and friendly" zone after a few hiccups in the first dozen or so pages.

As for your comment about "playing the narrative," I do not think there is specific hate for narratives in games in this thread other than a few people, and the main details of the game leaked so far suggest that there is certainly going to be a strong connective story bridging the first game to this one and then bringing in a world/game-changing plot after the "opener" for the game, and I imagine you can just follow the Desert Ranger Obligations Megastory and be content with things. I mean, no, I have no idea how this would work, but this seems fairly likely.

An Old Boot posted:

BTW, has there been any mention of mechanics beyond just combat-based stuff, like the Fallout 1 and 2 skill list, dialogue alterations, etc, or are we too early in to be doing much more than speculating? (what would people be looking for with that? be interested in knowing if there's a wide range of different likes/dislikes in that respect.)
The Vision Document does talk a bit about this, there will almost certainly be a number of skills more in keeping with Wasteland/the first two Fallouts rather than the most recent ones.

Kickstarter post link discussing it: http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/inxile/wasteland-2/posts/244791 (link to the document is at the bottom of the post)

Likes/dislikes vary somewhat in this thread between Wasteland fans and early Fallout fans (and even a handful of "I never played any of those but I like top-down RPG" fans), but the game is shaping up more or less to most people's specifications mechanicswise, as there will be a titanic amount of dialogue (specifically mentioned by Brian Fargo the other day; not that every conversation is book-length, but that there are so many different options for every dialogue ), there will be at least some way to bypass trivial encounters more quickly than having to play through every one, Toaster Repair will probably be the "flavor" skill awarded to Kickstarter backers ... there is probably more stuff in the vision document that I forgot.

njark
Apr 26, 2008

Show them the Wasteland
androids :swoon:

Young Freud
Nov 26, 2006

Is that some VAX?

Dr. Quarex
Apr 18, 2003

TOVA TOVA TOVA
I do not know, but holy poo poo, that is beautiful and eerie.

Edit: I should update this post with another beautiful and eerie image courtesy of my ongoing series of "post pictures of Ken St. Andre even though he probably is not actually doing any design for Wasteland 2 after all"

Dr. Quarex fucked around with this message at 01:59 on Oct 31, 2012

Fizzil
Aug 24, 2005

There are five fucks at the edge of a cliff...

I never played wasteland, so whats an android? something feels really wrong when a robot has a cloak and necklace on (but also really awesome).

Peas and Rice
Jul 14, 2004

Honor and profit.

Fizzil posted:

I never played wasteland, so whats an android? something feels really wrong when a robot has a cloak and necklace on (but also really awesome).

Androids in Wasteland were almost humanoid. In the hint book for the game, there's one that passes for a human character. Think of them kind of like replicants from Blade Runner, so if they've formed some kind of religion and have figured out how to make more of themselves!

Young Freud
Nov 26, 2006

Peas and Rice posted:

Androids in Wasteland were almost humanoid. In the hint book for the game, there's one that passes for a human character. Think of them kind of like replicants from Blade Runner, so if they've formed some kind of religion and have figured out how to make more of themselves!

Yeah, there's at least a couple of friendly ones. One guy you have to navigate the Las Vegas sewer system and rebuild him to find the location of his home base, so you can glean some understanding on stopping the robot menace. Another one, VAX, who you get as a recruitable NPC in the finale setpiece if you interrupt a factory machine and have it build it.

FRINGE
May 23, 2003

Quarex posted:

:toot: Welcome to the land of milk and honey

*ahem*

Quarex posted:

:black101: Welcome to the land of Rape and Honey

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d3LSbk2dFDo

Peas and Rice
Jul 14, 2004

Honor and profit.

Young Freud posted:

Yeah, there's at least a couple of friendly ones. One guy you have to navigate the Las Vegas sewer system and rebuild him to find the location of his home base, so you can glean some understanding on stopping the robot menace. Another one, VAX, who you get as a recruitable NPC in the finale setpiece if you interrupt a factory machine and have it build it.

The art they used for VAX mad it seem like he's much more robotic, which is how I imagined most of the robots from Cochise. I got the impression that the androids that could pass as humans were a pre-War phenomenon and they weren't capable of self-replicating yet.

Which is why they'll be awesome if they're the enemies in WL2.

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.
Vax is C-3PO. :stare:

Largepotato
Jan 18, 2007

Spurd.

Evil Fluffy posted:

Vax is C-3PO. :stare:

With a built-in laser rifle.

Dr. Quarex
Apr 18, 2003

TOVA TOVA TOVA
And awesome sunglasses.

So, on the Wasteland 2 Facebook group they are inquiring for how much interest there is in $500 limited edition numbered/signed lithographs of the original art! Get over yonder and register your interest if you are a bad enough dude to save the president!

(they are also making wallpapers and normal-priced posters for sale later, this is just for the hardcore collectors)

(Also while I am 0% surprised that I only ever got one mention as the person who made this happen, I am amused at the discussion going on like "OF COURSE THEY ARE CHARGING THIS MUCH IT TOOK THEM YEARS TO TRACK IT DOWN!!!")

girth brooks part 2
Sep 6, 2011

Bush did 911
Fun Shoe
That's really tempting, but I'm pretty sure I'd be homeless with only my lithograph to keep me company if I actually threw the money down on it. I'll definitely be checking out those posters when they go up.

Peas and Rice
Jul 14, 2004

Honor and profit.

Quarex posted:

And awesome sunglasses.

So, on the Wasteland 2 Facebook group they are inquiring for how much interest there is in $500 limited edition numbered/signed lithographs of the original art! Get over yonder and register your interest if you are a bad enough dude to save the president!

(they are also making wallpapers and normal-priced posters for sale later, this is just for the hardcore collectors)

(Also while I am 0% surprised that I only ever got one mention as the person who made this happen, I am amused at the discussion going on like "OF COURSE THEY ARE CHARGING THIS MUCH IT TOOK THEM YEARS TO TRACK IT DOWN!!!")

Wait, a litho of the original Wastleland 1 art??

Oh GOD why do nice things cost money. :smith:

Dr. Quarex
Apr 18, 2003

TOVA TOVA TOVA

Peas and Rice posted:

Wait, a litho of the original Wastleland 1 art??

Oh GOD why do nice things cost money. :smith:
Hahahaha

Well, it is not like you can just track down the original artist and buy the artwork yourself!!! ...

I did not get the sense of whether they meant you would get both pieces for $500, or whether they are only selling the "main" original art, and the inside art would only be available as a wallpaper or poster.

Or, worse yet, they would hold it back until Wasteland 3's pre-release, haha.

While the posters might not be quite framing quality, as someone who has a 3'x4' poster in a frame that cost about ten times as much as the poster, it can definitely work if the poster paper quality is good, the artwork is excellent (as obviously it is here), and the frame brings out the colors.

But, you know, you could ALSO frame the lithograph, and suddenly become so sophisticated that you would have no choice but to be constantly smoking cognac and drinking cigars or whatever. They really are seemingly trying to figure out how many to print based on how much interest there is, though, so git*! GIT!

*apologies to our British readers, this word means something very different here

Tim Chuma
Dec 19, 2009
Sorry, have to do this....
"You killed my dog, you dirty rangers!"

There, that's better.

Someone will get the reference, surely?

With the popularity of the recent X-COM remake this should also go well.

FRINGE
May 23, 2003

quote:

We spent the day with the writers reviewing the detailed story and dialogue options in Wasteland 2. This is a partial print out of just the writing detail for the game.

Mordaedil
Oct 25, 2007

Oh wow, cool. Good job.
So?
Grimey Drawer

Fizzil posted:

How can you have played Saints Row the Third and not know what an android is? I mean, it's not an exclusive concept to Wasteland or anything. It's pretty heavily featured throughout modern media.

:stare: Maybe I'm in the wrong here, but I thought that was one of those words you'd know if you even knew someone who was into sci-fi.

lordfrikk
Mar 11, 2010

Oh, say it ain't fuckin' so,
you stupid fuck!
I'd say it's common knowledge knowing what an android is nowadays, not only limited to sci-fi aficionados.

Chronojam
Feb 20, 2006

This is me on vacation in Amsterdam :)
Never be afraid of being yourself!

I've never seen a phone dress in a cape, don't be ridiculous.

Synastren
Nov 8, 2005

Bad at Starcraft 2.
Better at psychology.
Psychology Megathread

Mordaedil posted:

How can you have played Saints Row the Third and not know what an android is? I mean, it's not an exclusive concept to Wasteland or anything. It's pretty heavily featured throughout modern media.

:stare: Maybe I'm in the wrong here, but I thought that was one of those words you'd know if you even knew someone who was into sci-fi.

On the other hand, I'm a raging nerd, and I wanted to know what was special about Wasteland's take on androids; as such, I read the question to mean something similar.

Otherwise, I'd be sad that goon hadn't at least seen Star Trek: The Next Generation. :smith:

Mordaedil
Oct 25, 2007

Oh wow, cool. Good job.
So?
Grimey Drawer

Synastren posted:

On the other hand, I'm a raging nerd, and I wanted to know what was special about Wasteland's take on androids; as such, I read the question to mean something similar.

Otherwise, I'd be sad that goon hadn't at least seen Star Trek: The Next Generation. :smith:

:unsmith: Well, I didn't consider that prior perspective. That makes it a little less surprising.

FRINGE
May 23, 2003
Titan Missile Silo.

RagingBoner
Jan 10, 2006

Real Wood Pencil
Alright guys, I think I've got all my poo poo together, so I just have to print these addresses off and mail them out, and we'll be sitting pretty.

Sorry it took forever.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Overemotional Robot
Mar 16, 2008

Robotor just hasn't been the same since 9/11...
Oh my gosh you're alive!

• Locked thread