Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Crotch Bat
Dec 6, 2003

Much like with everything else in life, the Euros seem to have more sense on how to do things in a fun atmosphere without sucking the soul out of the event.

RadicalR posted:

One of 4 reporting in! I beat this game when I was a kid.

3 of the 4 people all in this one thread! I had a lot of fun with this as a kid and I was not a puzzle game fan.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MUTEkI
Oct 12, 2012
My word, the bit with the relaxation devices in the Chelnov ep. sounds like like it came straight out of an Check It Out with Dr. Steve Bruhle.

(...which also makes me wonder if John C Reilly could pull off an American GCCX. I think he could.)

zari-gani
Sep 6, 2004

How much do you want it? ;-*

MUTEkI posted:

(...which also makes me wonder if John C Reilly could pull off an American GCCX. I think he could.)

I haven't agreed with any of the "who could host an American GCCX?" suggestions until this one.

joek0
Oct 13, 2011
Arino played a bit of the arcade version of Kickle Cubicle in the Tamage of the Kung Fu Heroes epiosode ealier this season. I'll post a link to the video to those who haven't seen it. Kickle Cubicle starts at 15:38. I know there are some posts earlier in the thread about this.

GCCX 137 Kung Fu Heroes Raw:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ebctdAk0eo8

InsaneDavid
Oct 22, 2012

zari-gani posted:

Cool bowl. I kinda love that he's wearing briefs instead of boxers.

Thanks! Well that is how he started out. Guess Arthur's armor was tighter fitting back then.

I've been pestering her off and on to do a Daimakaimura piece since then but if the series is revisited it'll probably be based off the cartoony style from Nazo Makaimura.

zari-gani
Sep 6, 2004

InsaneDavid posted:

Thanks! Well that is how he started out. Guess Arthur's armor was tighter fitting back then.

Neat, I thought he always wore boxers. The more you know.

joek0
Oct 13, 2011
Have there been any hints or disscussion about GCCX #150. For episode #50, they went to Korea. For episode #100, they played Wrecking Crew and had some great moments. Wonder what will be special for #150.

Nipponophile
Apr 8, 2009
For #150, Arino will combine those two previous episodes and wreck Korea.

Corridor
Oct 19, 2006

Robodemon posted:

drat, I loved this game when I was a kid. I knew someone who pronounced Cubicle Q-Bickle instead of how you would say office cubicle and it really annoyed kid me.

Is this not how you are supposed to say cubicle?

PureRok
Mar 27, 2010

Good as new.

Corridor posted:

That's how I say cubicle, and it's how the dictionary says it's pronounced.. Maybe you're the one who's been saying it wrong the whole time, Robodemon.

FredMSloniker
Jan 2, 2008

Why, yes, I do like Kirby games.

Corridor posted:

Maybe the issue was that he was putting the accent on the wrong syllable? I'd pronounce the word "CUbicle", but it sounds like his friend said "cuBIcle".

Hirayuki
Mar 28, 2010

FredMSloniker posted:

Maybe the issue was that he was putting the accent on the wrong syllable? I'd pronounce the word "CUbicle", but it sounds like his friend said "cuBIcle".
That's how I read it. I guess it "rhymes" with "Kickle" better that way. KICK-le cu-BIC-le.

absolutely anything
Dec 28, 2006

~As for dreams, she has enough and more to spare~
I've pronounced it cuBICle my whole life and I never even realized that the second word of the title is literally the word "cubicle" like the office space until just now. My brain always just instantly defined it as a silly made up word like "kickle".

Robodemon
Sep 14, 2008

PureRok posted:

That's how I say cubicle, and it's how the dictionary says it's pronounced.. Maybe you're the one who's been saying it wrong the whole time, Robodemon.

Maybe I'm not spelling it the way I'm sounding it, but I don't say Cubicle, like I would say 'Q-Pickle' that's how my friend used to say it, like Pickle with the hard P but with a B instead.

KICK-uhl, CUBE-ickuhl, like Ice Cube, what he pushes to solve puzzles, that's how I always pronounced it, I've never heard anyone pronounce an office cubicle like Pickle but with a C, I'm bad at writing these word pronouncing things.

Robodemon fucked around with this message at 23:44 on Nov 1, 2012

Cemetry Gator
Apr 3, 2007

Do you find something comical about my appearance when I'm driving my automobile?
Wait, it's not pronounced Cuh-behk-le.

No wonder why my interviews always go south when I mention that I would like working in a cubicle environment.

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

Since I love dropping broad hints about what's coming up, you're finally going to meet AD Itou properly next time. He was part of the singing group The Cardigans doing Kacho Fighter for the Birthday special but you're going to get to see him play...

zari-gani
Sep 6, 2004

I always pronounced it KICKle CUbicle, but I agree that KICKle CuBICKle flows a lot better and might be the way it was meant to be pronounced.

Random Stranger posted:

Since I love dropping broad hints about what's coming up, you're finally going to meet AD Itou properly next time.

And what an introduction it is!

Tobaccrow
Jan 21, 2008

Don't smoke, kids... Unless you have to.

makere posted:

(Ghost n' Goblins spoilers) It's really baffling how Arino managed to spend so much time against the red arimer in GnG, the other day, I played against it for the first time ever, and beat it on my second try...
A friend of mine who moved to Japan came back and visited. We were like "gently caress it, let's beat Ninja Gaiden!" We traded off at Game Overs (though he did most of the work). Neither of us had any experience with the game, but we beat it in about two to three hours. Arino took 19 hours.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Arino is this bizarre mix of completely inept and occasionally weirdly skilled. A lot of that has to do with a stubborn inability to change tactics though. I swear every time he decides that the best method is "rush at enemy and hope his HP runs out before Arino's does" I want to cry a little inside.

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

zari-gani posted:

Oh, yes. As funny as it would be to give them a few choice lines, I'm looking forward to the reactions.

I can't say that I like Itou as much as I liked Takahashi but I do think he's at least as entertaining as Emoto. And I didn't really care for Emoto at first but he grew on me so Itou probably will too.

zari-gani
Sep 6, 2004

Random Stranger posted:

I can't say that I like Itou as much as I liked Takahashi but I do think he's at least as entertaining as Emoto. And I didn't really care for Emoto at first but he grew on me so Itou probably will too.

Emoto and Takahashi both had great chemistry with Arino, and although he isn't as emotive as them, Itou is doing pretty well on that front too. Though I think a lot of it has to do with the games he's had to play and what the writers likely made him do/say.

I think he even has more presence than Katayama, who I still keep forgetting about...

Bocc Kob
Oct 26, 2010

ImpAtom posted:

Arino is this bizarre mix of completely inept and occasionally weirdly skilled. A lot of that has to do with a stubborn inability to change tactics though. I swear every time he decides that the best method is "rush at enemy and hope his HP runs out before Arino's does" I want to cry a little inside.

I have the same problem Arino does a lot of the time. It's like we can't recognize certain types of patterns at all. :(

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

zari-gani posted:

I think he even has more presence than Katayama, who I still keep forgetting about...

Poor Katayama. There's absolutely nothing wrong with the guy, he's just the AD who had the least to do.

Crotch Bat
Dec 6, 2003

Much like with everything else in life, the Euros seem to have more sense on how to do things in a fun atmosphere without sucking the soul out of the event.

zari-gani posted:

I always pronounced it KICKle CUbicle, but I agree that KICKle CuBICKle flows a lot better and might be the way it was meant to be pronounced.

You kick cubes in the game, it's definitely the former and not the latter. It just seems like it's supposed to rhyme.

joek0
Oct 13, 2011

Random Stranger posted:

Since I love dropping broad hints about what's coming up, you're finally going to meet AD Itou properly next time. He was part of the singing group The Cardigans doing Kacho Fighter for the Birthday special but you're going to get to see him play...

We finally get to see an episode from season 16 subbed. I too am liking the new AD. They still even poke fun at D Inoue.

I watched the Tamage segment from the Kung Fu Heroes episode and Arino seems to really enjoy the Arcade version of Kickle Cubicle. Arino will have fun with this challenge.

Congratulations on GCCX reaching 150 episodes. Hope episode #150 is a gret one.

Benly
Aug 2, 2011

20% of the time, it works every time.

Crotch Bat posted:

You kick cubes in the game, it's definitely the former and not the latter. It just seems like it's supposed to rhyme.

It's Japan, I wouldn't be surprised if "cubicle" is supposed to be a portmanteau of cube and icicle and entirely unrelated to the office furniture.

ImpAtom posted:

I swear every time he decides that the best method is "rush at enemy and hope his HP runs out before Arino's does" I want to cry a little inside.

A bold close-combat strategy!

zari-gani
Sep 6, 2004

Benly posted:

It's Japan, I wouldn't be surprised if "cubicle" is supposed to be a portmanteau of cube and icicle and entirely unrelated to the office furniture.

The game is called Meikyuujima (Labyrinth Island) in Japan, but I think that's what the localization team had in mind.

Cemetry Gator
Apr 3, 2007

Do you find something comical about my appearance when I'm driving my automobile?

ImpAtom posted:

To be fair to Arino, how many times has he managed to win by making a suicide run and hoping to come out of it alive? When he's not doing that, he's overcomplicating the game mechanics.

But then you put him in front of a puzzle game or any other game that requires a lot of thinking, and he manages to destroy it. It's like Prince of Persia: he came up with a system to win and manage to get ahead.

hexwren
Feb 27, 2008

redmercer posted:

There's not a heck of a lot to that game. On the other hand, I keep hoping that Arino finds an original 1974 Wild Gunman machine somewhere just because I want to see one that works

I know - I was replying to the posts immediately above mine that seemed to be unable to figure out what lightgun game they were thinking of.

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

zari-gani posted:

The game is called Meikyuujima (Labyrinth Island) in Japan, but I think that's what the localization team had in mind.

What do you want to bet that the localization team was one guy who learned some English and his boss who didn't speak English but had to approve everything?

zari-gani
Sep 6, 2004

Random Stranger posted:

What do you want to bet that the localization team was one guy who learned some English and his boss who didn't speak English but had to approve everything?

Yeah you're probably right. I forgot this came out in the late 80's/early 90's.

fenix down
Jan 12, 2005

MAN that Yuuyu Quiz was brutal. That's gotta be the biggest quiz team of the series.. right??? Arino, Toujima, Nakayama, Abe, Urakawa, Kibe, and the 2 other dudes I forget!!!

Joctan
Sep 2, 2011
Help me decide. what challenge should I take for the weekend?

Joctan fucked around with this message at 01:06 on Nov 3, 2012

Ineffiable
Feb 16, 2008

Some say that his politics are terrifying, and that he once punched a horse to the ground...

Kickle. So you can be a new 5th guy that's played it.

FireCar
Sep 20, 2002

What's this?!
This is only semi-GCCX related, but apparently AKC48 has a song in Wreck-It-Ralph. I came in during the credits from the previous showing, heard some bubblegum j-pop, and then the music credits hit. I grinned like an idiot. I felt happy, yet dirty at the same time for knowing who they were.

Erwin Tuwonwon
Oct 30, 2011
Thanks for the retranslation, team! The differences are interesting, to say the least.

FireCar posted:

This is only semi-GCCX related, but apparently AKC48 has a song in Wreck-It-Ralph. I came in during the credits from the previous showing, heard some bubblegum j-pop, and then the music credits hit. I grinned like an idiot. I felt happy, yet dirty at the same time for knowing who they were.

Pff, forget them, there's a Buckner and Garcia song! And this is after Garcia passed, too.

FireCar
Sep 20, 2002

What's this?!

Erwin Tuwonwon posted:

Pff, forget them, there's a Buckner and Garcia song! And this is after Garcia passed, too.

You're talking about mac-man fever, right? Where was that in the movie?

retromonk
Nov 5, 2009

Verveces tui similes pro ientaculo mihi appositi sunt

ImpAtom posted:

Arino is this bizarre mix of completely inept and occasionally weirdly skilled

I know what you mean. He's pretty oblivious to things that, by now, should be obvious to him. For instance, I've seen him wonder whether he's doing damage to a boss even though some of his hits are making the boss flash and the others aren't.

But then he'll turn around and get another boss into a pattern on his second try.

I guess that's one of the reasons it's fun to watch him play - you really don't know which Kacho you're going to see.

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

First you draw a circle. Then you dot the eyes. Add a lot of stubble. Presto, it's Arino!

For this Nintendo Channel outing Arino has five hours to clear half of Kirby Super Star's Arena mode. Can Arino beat ten bosses in a row without dieing?

This episode is brought to you by zari-gani, who can copy the ability of any food that she consumes. Since these abilities mainly consist of tasting good it's not as helpful as you might think.

Download torrent81 (1 files; 176.64 MB)
View torrent stats

Direct Download

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cemetry Gator
Apr 3, 2007

retromonk posted:

But then he'll turn around and get another boss into a pattern on his second try.

I guess that's one of the reasons it's fun to watch him play - you really don't know which Kacho you're going to see.

Of course, nowadays, he'll start doing damage to a boss and say "Is he stuck in a pattern?" And then invariably, the boss will start doing something different. It's like he wants to believe the moment he gets two strikes against a boss, he's got the boss stuck in a pattern.