Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Cellophane S
Nov 14, 2004

Now you're playing with power.

iSheep posted:

Its not awful. But it sounds like it came out of the Hans Zimmer music factory.

I kind of disagree there, I'm quite often annoyed by the Zimmer factory stuff but this really "pops".

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arthe Xavier
Apr 22, 2007

Artificial Stupidity

Cellophane S posted:

If anyone had any doubt that the music would be awesome

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z4jzASp7s2w

The soundtrack is on Spotify as well, highly recommended :)

This is actually pretty drat good. I was a huge fan of Marty O'Donnell's atmospheric pieces, but if the Halo 4 OST as a whole is as good as this track, I won't cry over the change of composers.

Oh, and some of Michael Bay's movies have amazing soundtracks - The Rock, for example.

InfinEight
Apr 25, 2007

What planet is this again?-- OH SHIT

Cellophane S posted:

If anyone had any doubt that the music would be awesome

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z4jzASp7s2w

The soundtrack is on Spotify as well, highly recommended :)

That back to back against this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rylnZSYmyaI

--is pretty surreal. Not that I don't like the new stuff but the difference in tone might take some getting used to.

Azubah
Jun 5, 2007

The new soundtrack sounds more hard scifi than mythical chants, if that makes sense.

Cellophane S
Nov 14, 2004

Now you're playing with power.

InfinEight posted:

--is pretty surreal. Not that I don't like the new stuff but the difference in tone might take some getting used to.

It's a change in style. I'm a big fan of O'Donnell's music but I think it was a good idea to have a musical shift for this game, considering there's a new story arc and everything.

InfinEight
Apr 25, 2007

You know, you're right, it should be treated as a whole new experience and as separate from older Halo games as possible. I need to keep the nostalgia goggles off or else I'll probably hate this game, which I don't want to since I'm really loving excited to play it next week. Tuesday cannot arrive fast enough :swoon:

iSheep
Feb 5, 2006

by R. Guyovich
You should have linked this one honestly:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=48F18IzQOJA

Mix between Trent Reznor's Girl With Dragon Tattoo score and Michael Giacchino's Super 8 score.

Its very lovely.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

Azubah posted:

The new soundtrack sounds more hard scifi than mythical chants, if that makes sense.

I'm not sure I agree with you, the chants gave everything a very mysterious and mystical vibe, that was part of the wonder of Halo. Everything felt foreign and primal even. Wild. Unknown.

This is more like what I'd expect to hear during a Hollywood action movie. Could be a Bond or Die Hard song or something like that.

That said, I don't hate it. But I don't agree that it sounds more sci-fi.

Solace for example is pretty good stuff, nice emotion on the strings there. Seems like something from the Princess Mononoke soundtrack. I like it.

Booties
Apr 4, 2006

forever and ever
I've heard enough ohms in halo games to last a lifetime. Looking forward to hearing the music for the first time on Tuesday.

Creepy Goat
Sep 19, 2010

InfinEight posted:

This still gives me goosebumps, time to marathon CE this weekend. I don't even ahve a 360 at the moment, going to have to find one before Monday.

stephelopholus
Feb 24, 2011
Just watched a bit of the Gamespot video:

What is the word on rankings?

I just assumed there would always be ranking systems, and I am now shocked to know there is no system implemented.

InfinEight
Apr 25, 2007

Look one page back :)

pseudorandom name
May 6, 2007

Why is this shocking? Reach didn't show you your TrueSkill either.

stephelopholus
Feb 24, 2011

pseudorandom name posted:

Why is this shocking? Reach didn't show you your TrueSkill either.

I guess it isn't that I think back now(I haven't played Reach in a long time). Tsquared seemed really alarmed by it and got me worried. Not a big deal.

I really like the new weapon sounds.

-A n i m 8-
Feb 5, 2009
'Halo 4' Sets Record as Highest-Charting Video Game Soundtrack Ever

http://www.billboard.biz/bbbiz/industry/record-labels/chart-moves-halo-4-sets-record-as-highest-1007995642.story

VaultAggie
Nov 18, 2010

Best out of 71?
I hope there's still some humor in Halo 4. The Halo series have always had some great humor, from Johnsons lines to Chiefs snark comments.

MickRaider
Aug 27, 2004

Now I smell like lemonade!
Have you ever met and/or work with Jesse Snyder?

-A n i m 8-
Feb 5, 2009

MickRaider posted:

Yeap.

Tighclops
Jan 23, 2008

Unable to deal with it

Grimey Drawer

iSheep posted:

Its not awful. But it sounds like it came out of the Hans Zimmer music factory.

Yeah, this is what it reminds me of. I appreciate the change in direction even if the direction isn't memorable because it sounds like everything else, I guess.

inSTAALed
Feb 3, 2008

MOP

n'

SLOP
This is still my favorite set of music from this series:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mQRPfXhP7kg

So much nostalgia. So so much.

Napolean Bonerfarts
Dec 11, 2003

by Pragmatica

MickRaider posted:

He's a member here, but he never posts

BrownThunder
Oct 26, 2005

EXTEND BEN!
Forever and ever and ever

Posted this in SA-Mart but I figured my halo people would get more use out of it.

If you've got an AMEX card, check it:

https://sync.americanexpress.com/XBox/CardCapture

quote:

Amex Xbox Sync Deals:

- $10 for enrolling (must redeem through the Xbox app to receive credit)
- $25 credit back for $50 spent at Pac Sun
- $5 credit back for $10 spent at AMC Theaters

Halo 4 Achievement Rewards:

- $50 credit back for $100 spent at Best Buy after unlocking achievement “Operation Completion”
- Complete a Spartan Ops Mission on any difficulty

- $25 credit for unlocking achievement “Wake Up John”
- Complete the campaign on normal or harder

- Unlock a trip to attend E3 2012 after unlocking achievement “Lone Wolf Legend”
- Be one of the first 25 people in the US or one of the first 5 people in the UK to complete the campaign solo on Legendary Difficulty

BabyMauler
Sep 19, 2005
Anyone have an idea of the language in some of the choir sections? Particularly Nemesis, since it is the track I have heard sampled a bunch from.

TheGreatGildersneeze
Feb 24, 2001
My passive aggressive shilling for Microsoft has gone beyond weird obsession levels. I have no attachment to reality outside of my feelings for a plastic box. I should shut my fat fucking mouth and stop trying to do PR for a billion dollar corp

InfinEight posted:

You know, you're right, it should be treated as a whole new experience and as separate from older Halo games as possible.
If only more people thought like this about games in series in general. A new game with new things to experience and play. :allears:

Although I imagine game forums would be boring places without all the arguing about how change is the best thing to ever happen to all the good things that ever happened in a game series, or how the ground opened up below [developer] studios and from a pit of fire the Lord of Flies rose up to offer [developers] kazillions of dollars to ruin the series and poo poo on all our childhoods forever.

Hell, I'm guilty of being all "they're changing things" :argh: here and there this time around.

BrokenKnees
Aug 28, 2008

Ow.
If you watched the debates on LIVE to win some free avatar armor check your spam file, your golden halo mark of shame armor codes await!

Sadly I found this out while hoping to find one about Walmart shipping my order out. No such luck as of yet.

V for Vegans
Jan 30, 2009

BrokenKnees posted:

If you watched the debates on LIVE to win some free avatar armor check your spam file, your golden halo mark of shame armor codes await!

Sadly I found this out while hoping to find one about Walmart shipping my order out. No such luck as of yet.

How much of the debates did you watch? Did you watch from start to finish on each one?

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

V for Vegans posted:

How much of the debates did you watch? Did you watch from start to finish on each one?

I watched at least 30 minutes of each, but honestly I think all you need to do is start up the stream and it counted.

I really wish Newegg would ship copies out this weekend, but they already said they wouldn't. It's going to be painful waiting for my copy in the mail next week. Normally I don't break protocol and always go through Amazon, but I got a good deal through Newegg.

I said come in! fucked around with this message at 04:39 on Nov 2, 2012

V for Vegans
Jan 30, 2009

I said come in! posted:

I watched at least 30 minutes of each, but honestly I think all you need to do is start up the stream and it counted.

Ok, because that's what I did, I answered polls in two of them, but the middle one the polls didn't work until after I had stopped watching. Hopefully their just being slow about giving out the codes.

BrokenKnees
Aug 28, 2008

Ow.
I don't know if doing the polls were required, but it was something like 30min of 3 of the 4 debates.

V for Vegans
Jan 30, 2009

BrokenKnees posted:

I don't know if doing the polls were required, but it was something like 30min of 3 of the 4 debates.

Did they actually say at least 30 min? Or are you just guessing.
I think that they simply had you watch three so that you would have to download their live stream app, and not just instantly delete it after watching one debate.

monkeu
Jun 1, 2000

by Reene
I ordered my copy online here in Australia, and I just got an email a couple of hours ago saying they'd despatched it. It's about 4pm Friday afternoon here, but if they sent it today I may well receive it in the mail Monday - a day early.

Pretty exciting, but if it does come early and I play it, is there a risk of them banning my account (thinking that I pirated it)?

Funkmaster General
Sep 13, 2008

Hey, man, I distinctly remember this being an episode of Spongebob. :colbert:

They aren't going to ban anyone for playing a day early.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

monkeu posted:

I ordered my copy online here in Australia, and I just got an email a couple of hours ago saying they'd despatched it. It's about 4pm Friday afternoon here, but if they sent it today I may well receive it in the mail Monday - a day early.

Pretty exciting, but if it does come early and I play it, is there a risk of them banning my account (thinking that I pirated it)?

No, you're completely safe. Microsoft can tell the difference. Have fun, post some screenshots of multiplayer from replays.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

I said come in! posted:

No, you're completely safe. Microsoft can tell the difference. Have fun, post some screenshots of multiplayer from replays.

Yeah, if it was like a week early they'd considering it pirated, but getting it a day early would be fine because stores like EB are known to break street dates on big releases.

Binskin
Dec 15, 2005
Better this then 'Stupid Newbie'.
When is the next FUD due to drop ... isn't it tonight?

*edit* Oh, it just did ... https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gULQ5GFIkcA

Binskin fucked around with this message at 11:29 on Nov 2, 2012

lenoon
Jan 7, 2010

Holy poo poo. Holy poo poo I loved that. I was terrified the chief would take off his helm and I loved the little nod to that, as well as the slightly wired faces of the other Spartans - Kelly and Sam?

But holy poo poo, holy poo poo. I just could not be any more exited about this.

Edit: just everything about that was great. Including the warthog fishtailing at the start with "it's harder than it looks!"

FoF
Mar 22, 2007

I BET THE GOONS DID THIS

ASK ME ABOUT BITCOINS, CIS PRIVILEGE, AND MY MASSIVE KARMA ON REDDIT
The other one was Frederic and oh god 3 Spartans. :allears:

Edit: !!!! And the name of the ship.

FoF fucked around with this message at 12:34 on Nov 2, 2012

MUFFlNS
Mar 7, 2004

Funkmaster General posted:

They aren't going to ban anyone for playing a day early.

I hope that they don't ban anyone for playing it a few days early either. Play.com posted my copy along with Most Wanted yesterday, and since Most Wanted arrived today I'm guessing Halo 4 will probably arrive tomorrow morning. Hopefully playing the game this weekend doesn't raise alarms or anything.

victrix
Oct 30, 2007

Last episode of Forward Unto Dawn is out. Pretty badass.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

madadric
May 18, 2008

Such a BK.
That was a whole lot of fun, and hit so many right notes. The swell of the Halo theme as an undercurrent, the Cadet's reactions to the SPARTANS, everything.

The more I watched, the more Chief's voice does sound like Downes, but it still sounded different, and here is why I think it was meant to have a subtle difference.

During the games Chief's voice has a deeper timbre, it sounds more solid and centralized, because we ARE the chief. In FUD, we see hings form the perspective of the Cadets, so we don't get that sound of our own voices reverbrating inside our throats, our heads.

Either that or it's the difference between videogame sound and movie sound.

• Locked thread