Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

treasured8elief
Jul 25, 2011

Salad Prong

Coach Sport posted:

Jones is immortal. My theory is that she's the product of some misguided court immortality/godhood experiment that went terribly wrong and resulted in her living forever. Literally forever, so she retroactively exists at every moment in time back to the formation of the universe. Having accidentally and irrevocably altered human history and the fundamental nature of reality forever, the court swears off this etheric science nonsense and decides to achieve their quest to become gods through the much safer avenue of robots.

Really liking this theory. Wondering now if she'll actually float in space being bored during the big bang. Whomever first jokingly said that might have made the perfect call.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Bongo Bill posted:

I suddenly remember that Coyote told Annie to ask Jones about "the stars in the night sky." We haven't seen any night skies yet this chapter.

'Oh yeah, I remember hanging out with them. Kinda boring and full of hot gas though.'

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Either she was buried for a time, or she's being Born From Stone right now.

Ketzal
Feb 19, 2011

President of Hell
Grimey Drawer
My bet is that Jones is somehow related to the power of the mind Coyote was talking about. In this page he mentions a stone, a diseased eye, and the shape of a woman in the space of a couple sentences. Maybe it was Jones's mind that made humans look like they do, but she doesn't strike me as particularly emotional or curious, like the dying guy in Coyote's story, so that could be a problem. And I wonder if humans are etheric enough to be effected.

Also these pages are so drat pretty. :allears:

Cannonballoon
Jul 25, 2007

toxic8aker posted:

Really liking this theory. Wondering now if she'll actually float in space being bored during the big bang. Whomever first jokingly said that might have made the perfect call.

AE-35 Unit posted:

Wednesday's comic will just be Jones drifting along in space at the beginning of the universe. :geno:

It'd be a month late, but I'll take it. :colbert:

One thing I noticed is that whenever Annie talks with Coyote about certain creation stories, whether it's the stars in the sky or creating people, the Great Spirit is always depicted as a single eye, and not in Coyote's typical eye style, either. The only thing really keeping me from thinking that Jones is possibly the Great Spirit in some form is that Coyote specifically said "him". Jones being a deity of some sort wouldn't necessarily run foul of the "existing mythology" thing, either. It might also help explain exactly what Jones meant by saying "you know I can take her if I wish" to Coyote.

Or I'm terrible at guessing upcoming plot twists and there's time travel. Whichever.

Cannonballoon
Jul 25, 2007

This recent comic also seems to indicate that Jones is much, much older than Coyote, since Coyote was supposedly created by the minds of man, and man didn't exist at this current point in the flashback.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

If the theory that etherical creations are born retroactively holds true, maybe the stars exist because man dreamed the points of light in the night sky into being and they were created as giant balls of fusion gas in the distant universe in the past.

I dunno, I'm just kinda wondering why Coyote wanted Annie to ask about stars.

Mr. Vile
Nov 25, 2009

And, where there is treasure, there will be Air Pirates.

Zorak posted:

drat it Nigel Marvin.

He truly is The Worst Time Traveller.

Fried Chicken posted:

Mixopterus, a member of the eurypterid genus for those who care.

Not quite as cool as Anomalocaridid, but what can you do.

And the pointy thing in the first panel is an orthocone of some sort. My first guess was a belemnite but they're from completely the wrong era.

So yeah, Jones status: Still old, wet. Is that just sediment she's buried in or solid rock? If it's rock then that would mean it's eroded away and left her hair unscathed.

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

The slightest touch from a Gol-Shogeg will result in Instant Death!
What is Jones? Jones IS.

Seriously, she has been forever.

Th really interesting thing about this page is the way some of her hair is protruding from the sediment (sedimentary rock?!), like it was laid down over her whilst she just stood there, hair wafting in the current...

The really interesting question is how much of this Jones can *remember*...

FronzelNeekburm
Jun 1, 2001

STOP, MORTTIME
Jones is a meteor. She landed on earth billions of years ago. That is why she sinks like a rock.

Secret Spoon
Mar 22, 2009

Jones killed the dinosaurs.

FronzelNeekburm
Jun 1, 2001

STOP, MORTTIME
That's what they get for trying to bite her.

DarkCrawler
Apr 6, 2009

by vyelkin
I love how every new page completely trashes half of the theories posted during the previous. She just won't stop being older and older!

I still think she's a time traveler though.

Meowjesty
Oct 23, 2009

Friends depend on each other.

AE-35 Unit posted:

This recent comic also seems to indicate that Jones is much, much older than Coyote, since Coyote was supposedly created by the minds of man, and man didn't exist at this current point in the flashback.
Not necessarily. Theoretically, Coyote's technically existed forever, because people created him to be older than creation. If he and Jones are cut from the same cloth (the cloth being created by people) then they're only as old as the stories about them say they are. Jones can be retroactively existing.

Suaimhneas
Nov 19, 2005

That's how you get tinnitus

thespaceinvader posted:

What is Jones? Jones IS.

Seriously, she has been forever.

Th really interesting thing about this page is the way some of her hair is protruding from the sediment (sedimentary rock?!), like it was laid down over her whilst she just stood there, hair wafting in the current...

The really interesting question is how much of this Jones can *remember*...

So one eon she was just so bored she fell asleep long enough for continents to shift, an ocean to form, and sediment to almost cover her?

Rumda
Nov 4, 2009

Moth Lesbian Comrade

Secret Spoon posted:

Jones killed the dinosaurs.

Too early for that.

Maybe she landed on a pre-biotic earth, and all life is descended from microbes on her skin.

lesbian baphomet
Nov 30, 2011

Guys, the answer is much easier than all that.

Jones is obviously coral.

YF-23
Feb 17, 2011

My god, it's full of cat!

The comic will cut back to the present, right after Annie asked her question. Jones will speak.

"...I forgot"

Cthulhuchan
Nov 10, 2005

Rose: Sip martini thoughtfully.

Such as this one.

Just a tiny sip couldn't hurt...
Jones is the seed around which the Earth formed. She's just lucky that she's lighter than her own volume in iron, or she'd be REALLY bored.

Wrist Watch
Apr 19, 2011

What?

As a current reader, I can't say I've enjoyed the past, what, two weeks of this or so? Just because it's starting to get old and I'm impatient for Annie to get her question answered. As someone who is going to buy the books in the future, I am enjoying the everloving poo poo out of it though.

And that's good enough for me.

lesbian baphomet
Nov 30, 2011

At least the current arc does a lot to answer the last panel of this page.

Jones saying she's never seen something before means a whole lot because she's been around for everything.

Avshalom
Feb 14, 2012

by Lowtax

Wrist Watch posted:

As a current reader, I can't say I've enjoyed the past, what, two weeks of this or so? Just because it's starting to get old and I'm impatient for Annie to get her question answered. As someone who is going to buy the books in the future, I am enjoying the everloving poo poo out of it though.
And that's good enough for me.

Yeah, I went back and read this chapter and the last one just to see how it would look to an archive reader and it is amazing. I guess it's just one of those situations where Tom had to choose between the update-by-update readers and the archive readers, and in the end, the latter is really more important. Especially as GC seems to be getting more and more popular by the day. (Yay!)

I won't make a bet as to what Jones is because I hate losing bets. :(

giant trilobyte in a latex human suit

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

Suaimhneas posted:

So one eon she was just so bored she fell asleep long enough for continents to shift, an ocean to form, and sediment to almost cover her?

Sleep? Why would she sleep?

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Do you have any idea how dull bacteria are? She was bored to sleep.

runwiled
Feb 21, 2011
I'd find it rather poetic if Jones was around for the creation of the universe and she wept at the beauty of it. The reason she's been so unemotional since is that nothing can compare to it.

We should really just stop speculating and wait for the end of this chapter, shouldn't we?

Buff Skeleton
Oct 24, 2005

Welp, Jones is Cthulhu.

Dial-a-Dog
May 22, 2001
This reminds me of the Calvin and Hobbes arc where Calvin keeps growing bigger and bigger each panel*. I remember reading something by Bill Watterson where he said he wanted to see how long he could get away with it before people complained, but got bored with it and stopped. If this comic wasn't drawn months in advance that is totally the sort of thing I would think was happening here. As it is my guess is the next panel shows a spaceship carrying Jones crashing into the Earth with the bacteria on it creating life, and the panel before that shows her being launched from Krypton.

*The first place I could find the strip was actually here

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!
So is the chapter going to end on Monday with "I honestly don't know." ?

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

SynthOrange posted:

Do you have any idea how dull bacteria are? She was bored to sleep.

Have we ever actually seen any evidence that Jones sleeps?

GENUINE CAT HERDER
Jan 2, 2004

Wedge Regret

thespaceinvader posted:

Have we ever actually seen any evidence that Jones sleeps?

Not yet. I think the closest we've seen to actual "sleeping" for Jones was her hanging around with Eglamore, and he was the one sleeping. She just decided to read a book.

Maybe she can sleep, but I'm assuming that she really doesn't need it at all. I've actually been wondering if she even needs to eat. Or have fun. Or do well, anything, really. Living millions of years waiting for someone to talk to couldn't have been that interesting.

Freudian
Mar 23, 2011

GENUINE CAT HERDER posted:

Not yet. I think the closest we've seen to actual "sleeping" for Jones was her hanging around with Eglamore, and he was the one sleeping. She just decided to read a book.

Maybe she can sleep, but I'm assuming that she really doesn't need it at all. I've actually been wondering if she even needs to eat. Or have fun. Or do well, anything, really. Living millions of years waiting for someone to talk to couldn't have been that interesting.

That was Eglamore? http://www.gunnerkrigg.com/archive_page.php?comicID=1097 His nose and hair look different.

idonotlikepeas
May 29, 2010

This reasoning is possible for forums user idonotlikepeas!
At this point, I'm not sure concepts like "interesting" and "boring" could possibly have any meaning for her. This also explains why Annie was having trouble understanding before. How could anybody who might live a hundred years, maximum, comprehend someone like Jones?

Freudian posted:

That was Eglamore? http://www.gunnerkrigg.com/archive_page.php?comicID=1097 His nose and hair look different.

...did you just unironically ask if that guy was Eglamore?

(It is.)

Fellis
Feb 14, 2012

Kid, don't threaten me. There are worse things than death, and uh, I can do all of them.

Buff Skeleton posted:

Welp, Jones is Cthulhu.

If she is then I called this like 6 months ago :buddy:

Reformed Pissboy
Nov 6, 2003

Macdeo Lurjtux posted:

So is the chapter going to end on Monday with "I honestly don't know." ?

"It's a long story."

Hemingway To Go!
Nov 10, 2008

im stupider then dog shit, i dont give a shit, and i dont give a fuck, and i will never shut the fuck up, and i'll always Respect my enemys.
- ernest hemingway

FronzelNeekburm posted:

Jones is a meteor. She landed on earth billions of years ago. That is why she sinks like a rock.

Gunnerkrigg Court is in continuity with Homestuck. Jones was in one of the meteors.

Freudian
Mar 23, 2011

Bongo Bill posted:

If not time travel, it suggests that humans were destined to appear on earth, which is fitting given all the gods we got running around in this comic. Jones clearly anticipated humanity. Although the majority of her life was spent prior to humans existing, she's human enough to care very deeply for humans (though it does seem significant that there don't appear to have ever been any little Joneslings).

I suddenly remember that Coyote told Annie to ask Jones about "the stars in the night sky." We haven't seen any night skies yet this chapter.

http://www.gunnerkrigg.com/archive_page.php?comicID=1097

Night sky.

usenet celeb 1992
Jun 1, 2000

he thought quoting borges would make him popular
The go-to explanation so far has been that Jones has something to do with the ether, but now I wonder if she represents a different order of reality,, one that hasn't yet been introduced in the comic. Where the ether is a realm of thought, imagination, and constant flux, Jones is a product of a purely "material" realm, fixed and unchanging, and the Universe is the place where these two domains overlap. (Basically like the D&D conception of the Astral/Outer Planes and Ethereal/Inner Planes.)

This still gets back to the issue of why she looks humans before humans existed, though, so there may be some etheric element, or the "material" realm she represents is a place of Platonic ideals (sort of) and the burgeoning complexity of life sort of shaped itself around her. (Just kicking an idea around; don't mean to open any cans of worms about blonde Caucasian women being "the ideal" human)

Also I thought that page with Eggers sleeping in her lap made it pretty clear she doesn't sleep or eat (only one plate on the floor, obviously Eglamore's, alongside the dropped newspaper -- which itself may sort of highlight the difference between James, a human, reading a newspaper, a transient source of information, while Jones reads a book, something more long-lived in its utility).

Zenzirouj
Jun 10, 2004

What about you, thread?
You got any tricks?
Was it so much to ask, Tom? Just one panel of Jones riding a dinosaur? It was right there on the side of the road, but noooo. You just kept on driving.

The Oldest Man
Jul 28, 2003

I always thought that the court/forest situation looked like some kind of proxy war between Coyote and some unknown force; maybe we're seeing the other side of that equation now. A conditionally existing trickster vs some kind of universal constant?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Suaimhneas
Nov 19, 2005

That's how you get tinnitus

Yonic Symbolism posted:

Gunnerkrigg Court is in continuity with Homestuck. Jones was in one of the meteors.

Then her origin is that she's a clone of herself. Another mystery solved!