Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Beartaco
Apr 10, 2007

by sebmojo
Ballad of Gay Tony is the best because it gives you a night club to drunkenly stumble around in, bump into girls, smash drinks and generally be a nuisance. I know that feeling Luis, I know that feeling. :allears:

Beartaco has a new favorite as of 02:18 on Nov 1, 2012

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jay 2K Winger
Oct 10, 2007

What are you looking for?
So I picked up Assassins' Creed III, and okay, maybe it isn't a "little thing," but... the twist at the end of Sequence 3. My god.

The game does a masterful job of surprising you with it. I'd been told by a friend that something would happen at the end of Sequence 3, but no specifics. When the twist dropped, I actually said, "Oh, you bastards."

Haytham (the PC up to that point) and his group aren't Assassins, but Templars. Until the twist comes (complete with an achievement titled "How D'You Like Them Apples?"), the game has set you up to thinking that Haytham and the rest are Assassins. During the infiltration of Silas' fort, Haytham's group are denoted by Assassin icons. Haytham uses the dual hidden blades (his right gauntlet even has an Assassin emblem on it), his moves are straight out of the Assassins' playbook, and while trying to find the First Civilization temple, he ends up fighting a brutal Redcoat general, Edward Braddock.

Well played, Ubisoft. Well played.

razorscooter
Nov 5, 2008

Law posted:

Ballad of Gay Tony is the best because it gives you a night club to drunkenly stumble around in, bump into girls, smash drinks and generally be a nuisance. I know that feeling Luis, I know that feeling. :allears:

Fun fact: If you drink enough in the night club you black out and wake up in a random part of the city.

Coffee And Pie
Nov 4, 2010

"Blah-sum"?
More like "Blawesome"

razorscooter posted:

Fun fact: If you drink enough in the night club you black out and wake up in a random part of the city.

Yeah, I've woken up a few times inside the Statue of Happiness (!) and had to find a way home.

eleven extra elephants
Feb 16, 2007

Menschliches! Allzumenschliches!!

Coffee And Pie posted:

Yeah, I've woken up a few times inside the Statue of Happiness (!) and had to find a way home.

You can also spawn mid air, with a parachute.

Farbtoner
May 17, 2011

by Y Kant Ozma Post
I love how in XCOM the damage your missed shots do to the environment increases with your level of technology. At the beginning of the game when youi have normal ballistic weapons a missed shot might shatter a window or ding up a car, at the end when you have plasma weapons a missed shot will blow a hole in a wall and cause a fire that makes the upper floor collapse a few turns later :hellyeah:

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair

Dead Blue Sky posted:

In one of the Face missions in Sleeping Dogs, you have to do a terrible job of singing karaoke. It's cool because Wei will actually sing off key if you mess up. I picked "Take On Me" and I was laughing the entire time, especially the big finish "In a... :byodood:DAAAAAAAAAAAAAAY"

I picked the same song!

Asiina
Apr 26, 2011

No going back
Grimey Drawer

Bobblehead Biddy posted:

I've played Assassin's Creed 2 countless times and I'm still discovering things. Not only does Ezio's voice change over time, but his mannerisms change as he slowly grows into the role of an assassin. When he first puts on the gear and visits Leonardo for help he's awkward, shifty, and nervous. When he returns to Florence two years later after killing Vieri he's much cooler, although still visibly shaken and unsure of things like the sudden appearance of La Volpe. By the end of the game he's completely confident and nonchalant, basically leaning back in his chair and going, "Well, who's gonna die today?"

I've been playing through AssBro and in the Cristina missions I've noticed Ezio sounds very different. Especially at the beginning when it's supposed to be before the beginning of AC2. It's a really nice touch since it's hard to notice over time, but he sounds a lot younger there, which makes sense since he was 17 at the beginning of AC2 but pushing 40 by the time we get to Brotherhood.

Chamale
Jul 11, 2010

I'm helping!

Inspector_71 posted:

I picked the same song!

I can't imagine anyone who has played Saints Row would choose a different song. Your character will sing along to Take On Me when it plays on the in-game radios.

Listen!

StandardVC10
Feb 6, 2007

This avatar now 50% more dark mode compliant

razorscooter posted:

I think there's a fan mod for Fallout: New Vegas that does something similar. It adds a bunch of new perks and one of the ones you can take is "wake up with no pants" or something like that where it will randomly unequip your armor, take all your money, and put you in a random place in the wasteland.

Thinky Whale
Aug 2, 2012

All that most maddens and torments; all that stirs up the lees of things; all truth with malice in it; all that cracks the sinews and cakes the brain; all the subtle demonisms of life and thought; all evil were visibly personified, and made practically assailable in Fry.

Jay 2K Winger posted:

So I picked up Assassins' Creed III, and okay, maybe it isn't a "little thing," but... the twist at the end of Sequence 3. My god.

Oh yes. That was awesome.

It makes me hope that maybe something interesting will happen with Connor eventually, because as much as I love the rest of the game, drat is he dull.

Lord Lambeth
Dec 7, 2011

Chamale posted:

I can't imagine anyone who has played Saints Row would choose a different song. Your character will sing along to Take On Me when it plays on the in-game radios.

Listen!

they did it again in in the third

even the zombie voice does it.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

razorscooter posted:

There's a quest in Skyrim that makes something similar happen, except that now you have to run around figuring out what you did while you were shitfaced and solve any crises you caused. It's like The Hangover with dragons.

AceOfJacks13
Mar 27, 2010

Fun fact: when they recorded those sections of audio, they didn't give the VAs a copy of the lyrics, so they were forced to ad-lib, just like if you sang along to the radio and didn't know all the words to the song.

im pooping!
Nov 17, 2006

Jay 2K Winger posted:

The game does a masterful job of surprising you with it. I'd been told by a friend that something would happen at the end of Sequence 3, but no specifics. When the twist dropped, I actually said, "Oh, you bastards."

Haytham (the PC up to that point) and his group aren't Assassins, but Templars. Until the twist comes (complete with an achievement titled "How D'You Like Them Apples?"), the game has set you up to thinking that Haytham and the rest are Assassins. During the infiltration of Silas' fort, Haytham's group are denoted by Assassin icons. Haytham uses the dual hidden blades (his right gauntlet even has an Assassin emblem on it), his moves are straight out of the Assassins' playbook, and while trying to find the First Civilization temple, he ends up fighting a brutal Redcoat general, Edward Braddock.

It was cool, but I wouldn't call it a "little thing".... It's a massive plot element. An I can't understand why you posted it.

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
I'm aggressively wrong about everything!

clownskull posted:

It was cool, but I wouldn't call it a "little thing".... It's a massive plot element. An I can't understand why you posted it.

I dunno, it was the most interesting thing I've heard from an Assassin's Creed game. I'm vaguely glad I heard it, at least. Now I know everything about the game I will need to know without ever having to play it.

The joke is that I hate the Assassin's Creed games, they are mediocre at best and rarely at their best.

7c Nickel
Apr 27, 2008
Way back in 2009, Unknown Worlds released a teaser for Natural Selection 2.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PxfjfBeC6tQ

You may have noticed it had FALL 2009 at the end. It did not make that release date. In fact, it only just came out a few days ago. I've been in the beta a long time, but 1.0 included a new map that had just been finished. While I was running around in game , I had to stop and take a screenshot when I noticed this particular hallway.

Just a funny detail for the people that have stuck with the game through the long delays.

Kugyou no Tenshi
Nov 8, 2005

We can't keep the crowd waiting, can we?

7c Nickel posted:

Just a funny detail for the people that have stuck with the game through the long delays.
I'm not quite sure what I'm supposed to be seeing here. It might be that I'm missing something because I'm horribly unobservant, or don't know some inside reference that would make it clear. Could you explain? I'm not trying to call you out or anything. This is obviously something cool to you and I want to "get it".

7c Nickel
Apr 27, 2008
They recreated the hallway from their often mocked Fall 2009 trailer in one of the official maps.

Kugyou no Tenshi
Nov 8, 2005

We can't keep the crowd waiting, can we?

7c Nickel posted:

They recreated the hallway from their often mocked Fall 2009 trailer in one of the official maps.
Ah. I thought that might be it, but I wasn't sure. Thanks!

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Jay 2K Winger posted:

The funny thing about that is that it makes sense for them to be using the Assassin icons to represent those guys during the fort mission since the Animus only does things based on what Shaun and Rebecca tell it to do. So because they thought those guys were Assassins it marked them as Assassins.

Dudley
Feb 24, 2003

Tasty

Smelly posted:

:dice: has always been great in the sound department.

And this has been true for 20 years. The Pinball Dreams/Fantasies/Illusions music was some of the best on the Amiga.

(Pinball dreams music - 1992)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mUAzl5S0bbc

(Pinball Fantasies music - 1992)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wTLhWXv2I4A

(Intro to Pinball Illusions (1995))
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c27RhAWgSNo

SpelledBackwards
Jan 7, 2001

I found this image on the Internet, perhaps you've heard of it? It's been around for a while I hear.

Dudley posted:

And this has been true for 20 years. The Pinball Dreams/Fantasies/Illusions music was some of the best on the Amiga.

(Pinball dreams music - 1992)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mUAzl5S0bbc

(Pinball Fantasies music - 1992)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wTLhWXv2I4A

(Intro to Pinball Illusions (1995))
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c27RhAWgSNo

Holy crap, they did those Pinball games? My friend had Pinball Fantasies... we used to play the hell out of that in DOS.

Dudley
Feb 24, 2003

Tasty

SpelledBackwards posted:

Holy crap, they did those Pinball games? My friend had Pinball Fantasies... we used to play the hell out of that in DOS.

Yep "DICE" == "Digital Illusions Creative Entertainment"

Croccers
Jun 15, 2012
Play Sleeping Dogs and get the new DLC

Wei Shen, Jiang Shi/Chinese vampire hunter :black101:

Crumbletron
Jul 21, 2006

IT'S YOUR BOY JESUS, MANE
Assassin's Creed III's codex is really interesting because all the entries are written (and amended if needed) by the group's historian, who often jokes at Desmond and the audience's expense. In William Johnson's codex entry, he mentions Johnson's naming of Mount Johnson, and quips that this sounds like some sort of caveman mating ritual.

Lord Lambeth
Dec 7, 2011

AceOfJacks13 posted:

Fun fact: when they recorded those sections of audio, they didn't give the VAs a copy of the lyrics, so they were forced to ad-lib, just like if you sang along to the radio and didn't know all the words to the song.

fun funner fact: Steve Blum does the zombie voice. Dude's loving everywhere

NovaPolice
May 9, 2006
There's an expansion pack for the first F.E.A.R. game called Perseus Mandate; at one point in it your mute gun arm protagonist watches this government agent voiced by Steve Blum getting interrogated by an evil mercenary commander voiced by Steve Blum on a security camera, and your teammate voiced by Steve Blum is commenting on the situation.

It's peak Blum, there's so much Blum it sucked away his voice-acting from several weaker titles. If you hear a grunty soldier in a videogame or the main character in an anime dub just has a yawning void for a voice, it's because of Perseus Mandate's pull.

StandardVC10
Feb 6, 2007

NovaPolice posted:

There's an expansion pack for the first F.E.A.R. game called Perseus Mandate; at one point in it your mute gun arm protagonist watches this government agent voiced by Steve Blum getting interrogated by an evil mercenary commander voiced by Steve Blum on a security camera, and your teammate voiced by Steve Blum is commenting on the situation.

It's peak Blum, there's so much Blum it sucked away his voice-acting from several weaker titles. If you hear a grunty soldier in a videogame or the main character in an anime dub just has a yawning void for a voice, it's because of Perseus Mandate's pull.

I'm pretty sure that's actually some kind of meta-Blum situation as I looked at the voice credits and several of the people who sound like him, are in fact someone else. Though his character in that game was one of my earlier exposures to the voice of Blum and it seems that having heard him in other games he's not even trying to sound like anyone else in Perseus Mandate.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Croccers posted:

Play Sleeping Dogs and get the new DLC

Wei Shen, Jiang Shi/Chinese vampire hunter :black101:

That's something else I loved - sticking thugs in your trunk isn't just an environmental kill. You can grab someone off the street, shove them in your trunk and then pull them out later. Or drive the car off a ramp into the ocean :v:

Ringo Star Get
Sep 18, 2006

JUST FUCKING TAKE OFF ALREADY, SHIT

Neddy Seagoon posted:

That's something else I loved - sticking thugs in your trunk isn't just an environmental kill. You can grab someone off the street, shove them in your trunk and then pull them out later. Or drive the car off a ramp into the ocean :v:

The best is hearing the screaming and thumping as you drive and no one else really reacts. If you shoot the trunk the screaming and thumping stops :(

If there'a car with bulletproof panels, I'll have to test it.

venus de lmao
Apr 30, 2007

Call me "pixeltits"

Lord Lambeth posted:

fun funner fact: Steve Blum does the zombie voice. Dude's loving everywhere

He really is. Steve Blum is one of the best things about every game he's in.

Especially Bulletstorm, as seen here (contains spoilers):

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q_6FN9WlF_Y

Spikey
May 12, 2001

From my cold, dead hands!

NovaPolice posted:

This, however, is peak Nolan North.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YpRkT9JxdnE]

Wrestlepig
Feb 25, 2011

my mum says im cool

Toilet Rascal
Nolan North has never topped https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vb7RUY1jzQI

Ace Oliveira
Dec 27, 2009

"I wonder if there is beer on the sun."

Speaking of Steven Heck, there's a mission in Taipei that involves sneaking around a subway station. In one part of the mission, cops bust in and you gotta avoid them. However, during the mission set up you can ask Heck for help. His help is when the bust in, he pulls basically a drive-by from a subway train with a heavy machinegun, killing several cops. But if you're close to the train when it passes by, you can hear Heck laughing maniacally like a sadist while he kills cops.

slingshot effect
Sep 28, 2009

the wonderful wizard of welp

Bertrand Hustle posted:

He really is. Steve Blum is one of the best things about every game he's in.

Especially Bulletstorm, as seen here (contains spoilers):

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q_6FN9WlF_Y

Bulletstorm was Steve Blum to the power of Steve Blum and I loved every dumb stupid bit of it. It wasn't high art or that great a game, but I'd be unironically thrilled if a sequel was announced just so I could play more of Captain Swearword's Big loving Adventure.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

slingshot effect posted:

Bulletstorm was Steve Blum to the power of Steve Blum and I loved every dumb stupid bit of it. It wasn't high art or that great a game, but I'd be unironically thrilled if a sequel was announced just so I could play more of Captain Swearword's Big loving Adventure.

That is the best description I've ever seen of Bulletstorm :allears:. I loved Bulletstorm and would also dearly love a sequel. How can you not like a game where you can shoot an explosive flail around a dude's neck then kick him at his buddies and pull the trigger? While shitfaced on booze.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

I really don't care much for Steven Blum. But for people who do check out Dawn of War 2. He voices the Space Marine scout and techmarine along with one of the Chaos heroes. So there's a point where Steven Blum and Steven Blum talk about how they're going to kill Steven Blum while he does a crazy villain monologue in the background.

StandardVC10
Feb 6, 2007

Len posted:

I really don't care much for Steven Blum. But for people who do check out Dawn of War 2. He voices the Space Marine scout and techmarine along with one of the Chaos heroes. So there's a point where Steven Blum and Steven Blum talk about how they're going to kill Steven Blum while he does a crazy villain monologue in the background.

Reminds me of Rivet City in Fallout 3 where there are like three voices total recorded for all two dozen possible talking NPCs.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Len posted:

Something I loved in the original Dawn of War is one of the Imperium guys in the campaign is Scott McNeil doing his Silverbolt voice from Beast Wars. First time I heard it I laughed and had one of those "Wait... Really?..." moments.

• Locked thread