Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

joek0
Oct 13, 2011
Thanks for the new episode! I can't wait for the sub of Super Ghouls N Ghosts to come out so that we may have the Makaimura Trilogy completly subbed.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hexwren
Feb 27, 2008

I'm actually already Guy #5 that played Kickle Cubicle back in the day---never beat it, though, there's one stage I can consistently get up to but never beat. I hope to see it in the episode so I can learn its secrets.

Do not even ask
Apr 8, 2008

Oh god, watching Arino suck at Kirby Super Star is pure agony for me. It's really frustrating to watch him not get things like avoiding the the giant charging gently caress-off laser or not getting that he has to attack an enemy's giant glowing red weakpoint.

Heti
May 22, 2007

I like Video Games
I spent an hour today watching the game grumps gently caress up kirby and now I get to watch Arino do it. yay?

Lifespan
Mar 5, 2002

Heti posted:

and now I get to watch Arino do it. yay?

Anytime it's Arino, it's a genuine yay!

Obeast
Aug 26, 2006
Õ_~ ANIME BABE LOVER 2000 ~_Õ
The timing of the new Kirby video couldn't be any better considering I finally completed Kirby's Adventure on the Dream Collection (I even 100%ed Extra Game in one sitting as originally intended, which was very rewarding even though you do get unlimited continues). :)

The video itself was great, which isn't surprising considering it's you guys translating it. I love how the final battle was against King DeDeDe.

Katana Gomai
Jan 14, 2007

"Thus," concluded Miyamoto, "you must give up everything you have to be my disciple."

Heti posted:

I spent an hour today watching the game grumps gently caress up kirby and now I get to watch Arino do it. yay?

I am starting to think that I belong to a very small group of people who love GCCX yet can't stand LPs and streams. Seems like everyone but me is into watching other people play stuff on Youtube these days which is so irritating to me.

That's not to say GCCX is the same as an LP (it's not, obviously).

Corridor
Oct 19, 2006

Holy poo poo. That Detective Arino poster, with all the staff... :stare: I want it. So bad. I want it on my actual wall, I would pay money for this to happen.

e:

that shirt :)

e2 VVVVV It's great that you like her stuff but I dunno what that has to do with me wanting the poster :colbert:

Corridor fucked around with this message at 13:01 on Nov 3, 2012

Mister Chief
Jun 6, 2011

Corridor posted:

Holy poo poo. That Detective Arino poster, with all the staff... :stare: I want it. So bad. I want it on my actual wall, I would pay money for this to happen.

e:

that shirt :)

Zari-gani's art is about 1000x better.

KingShiro
Jan 10, 2008

EH?!?!?!
I don't know if someone said already, but you can buy Wonder Boy in Monster Land (Bikkuriman World) on PSN for $5. Totally gonna buy it.

Erwin Tuwonwon
Oct 30, 2011
I love these mini-episodes. They're a great quick CX fix.

FireCar posted:

You're talking about mac-man fever, right? Where was that in the movie?

Nope!

zari-gani
Sep 6, 2004

How much do you want it? ;-*

Mister Chief posted:

Zari-gani's art is about 1000x better.

I dunno if it's fair to compare the two... they're very different styles with very different purposes!

I have no wall poster for Corridor, but I do have the desktop wallpaper version:

Corridor
Oct 19, 2006

zari-gani posted:

I dunno if it's fair to compare the two... they're very different styles with very different purposes!

I have no wall poster for Corridor, but I do have the desktop wallpaper version:

Eeee thank you :neckbeard:

I don't suppose you have the poster version of the image even at a small size? I liked the arrangement better. This is still awesome though, thanks. Sharing this with everyone I know.

zari-gani
Sep 6, 2004

Corridor posted:

Eeee thank you :neckbeard:

I don't suppose you have the poster version of the image even at a small size? I liked the arrangement better. This is still awesome though, thanks. Sharing this with everyone I know.

Unfortunately no. Online, I've only ever seen the version I posted...

Also, the closest thing you'll get to a poster is this clear folder. It was part of a set of Arino's Challenge 2-related merchandise that was given away to only 200 winners.

Pic that it's based on (slightly different from the wallpaper now that I look at it):

orochi
Oct 9, 2012

/usr/bin/orochi

Allen Wren posted:

I'm actually already Guy #5 that played Kickle Cubicle back in the day---never beat it, though, there's one stage I can consistently get up to but never beat. I hope to see it in the episode so I can learn its secrets.

I can beat the main game just fine, but the second to last level of the "special game" drives me nuts. I've probably stared at it for hours and can never figure it out.

Arino is pretty good at puzzle games so I'm wondering if he'll breeze through the main game and then start and/or finish the "special" game.

El-Bonko
Oct 9, 2012

zari-gani posted:

Pic that it's based on (slightly different from the wallpaper now that I look at it):

That little ©1987 in the corner is just great. I really wish I could play this game.

FireCar
Sep 20, 2002

What's this?!

How did I miss that! I really enjoyed that song and I can totally see that getting airplay in the 80s.

joek0
Oct 13, 2011
For the Chief Detective Poster, can someone point out each and every person they know. I know a good number of them. Next time I play the DS game, I will know who everyone is.

Also, there is no reason not to import the 2nd DS game. There are guides on GameFaqs for all the games except Guadia Quest Saga. I and others on this thread can help you with GQS.

I love D Fujimoto's drawing the most of the not so well known GCCX staff.

joek0 fucked around with this message at 21:24 on Nov 3, 2012

cronox2
Jul 24, 2010

woah, you look
REALLY pissed off...

KingShiro posted:

I don't know if someone said already, but you can buy Wonder Boy in Monster Land (Bikkuriman World) on PSN for $5. Totally gonna buy it.

If you have PS Plus as well they've been doing a different Wonder Boy game each week for $1. I've bought all 3 that have gone on sale but haven't had the time to play any of em.

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

For what it's worth Monster World's also available on Steam in the Genesis classics 5 pack for $7.50 or on its own for $2.99. Cheaper if you wait for the Christmas sale, of course.

The worst part about those Steam bundles is that they've got all the games on the Genesis that I wanted that are missing from the really nice XBox 360/PS3 collection that Sega released a couple years back but they're scattered among multiple packs. Why can't they shove things like all the Wonder Boy games and Landstalker into one pack for my convenience?

Random Stranger fucked around with this message at 00:03 on Nov 4, 2012

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.

Random Stranger posted:

For what it's worth it's also available on Steam in the Genesis classics 5 pack for $7.50 or on its own for $2.99. Cheaper if you wait for the Christmas sale, of course.

You're thinking of Monster World, one of the Mega Drive sequels. Monster Land, the arcade game which Bikkuriman World is based on, is out on PSN/XBLA/Wii VC but not Steam, and the same goes for Monster World IV.

joek0
Oct 13, 2011

Random Stranger posted:

For what it's worth Monster World's also available on Steam in the Genesis classics 5 pack for $7.50 or on its own for $2.99. Cheaper if you wait for the Christmas sale, of course.

The worst part about those Steam bundles is that they've got all the games on the Genesis that I wanted that are missing from the really nice XBox 360/PS3 collection that Sega released a couple years back but they're scattered among multiple packs. Why can't they shove things like all the Wonder Boy games and Landstalker into one pack for my convenience?

DetEmu has the Sega Genesis Complete Collection pack cheaper than Steam. Steam sells the collection for about $30, but DotEmu has it for $10 and includes some of the Sonic Games as well. The Dotemu one doesn't have the current pack though (Collection #5).

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

PaletteSwappedNinja posted:

You're thinking of Monster World, one of the Mega Drive sequels. Monster Land, the arcade game which Bikkuriman World is based on, is out on PSN/XBLA/Wii VC but not Steam, and the same goes for Monster World IV.

You're right. They've got that really confusing naming scheme (not to mention all the ports where they changed the name and the sprites)...

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.
Yeah, even if you just confine things to the six "official" games it can be confusing - there are two games named "Wonder Boy III", for instance, and the one with "Monster" in the title is the one that's NOT part of the Monster World sub-series.

Doc Hawkins
Jun 15, 2010

Dashing? But I'm not even moving!

This has got to be one of the best eye catches of them all.

kimpira
Jul 11, 2012

Doc Hawkins posted:

This has got to be one of the best eye catches of them all.

I think my favorite is still Arino-Kirby from that Kirby golf game. I'd love to have that on a t-shirt.

Heti
May 22, 2007

I like Video Games

kimpira posted:

I think my favorite is still Arino-Kirby from that Kirby golf game. I'd love to have that on a t-shirt.

Yeah, there have been a lot of good ones but kirby-arino is by far the best.

redmercer
Sep 15, 2011

by Fistgrrl
Lest We Forget

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

redmercer posted:

Lest We Forget

That's less 'best' and more 'most likely to cause mild psychological issues in viewers', though.

MUTEkI
Oct 12, 2012

redmercer posted:

Lest We Forget

For what it's worth, I think that the ranking scheme that gives this as tops should probably put the Sonic one second. Bonanza Bros. is likely up near the top too, as well as a couple others I can't think of right now.

Corridor
Oct 19, 2006

I swear the staff have been deliberately trying to make them as horrifying as possible for a while now.

zari-gani posted:

given away to only 200 winners.

Nooooooooooooo

quote:

Thank you! I don't really like the layout in the wallpaper, although I'd still rather have it than not. This isn't quite the same as the poster but I still prefer this layout somehow.

e: Reminds me I kept meaning to ask, do you get any free GCCX swag of the stuff that has your art on it? Do you get royalties?

Corridor fucked around with this message at 07:41 on Nov 4, 2012

Gyre
Feb 25, 2007

I want to play this so badly. Old-school Japanese detective games are great if you can find translated versions, like the SNES version of Famicom Tantei Club Part II.

joek0 posted:

Also, there is no reason not to import the 2nd DS game. There are guides on GameFaqs for all the games except Guadia Quest Saga. I and others on this thread can help you with GQS.
The problem with that is it's no fun playing a detective game with a guide that tells you what to do. You really need a translated version.

That's not to say you shouldn't import the game anyway.

zari-gani
Sep 6, 2004

Corridor posted:

e: Reminds me I kept meaning to ask, do you get any free GCCX swag of the stuff that has your art on it? Do you get royalties?

So far, without even asking, they've sent me everything with my art on it (GCCX book vol 5, GCCX in USA DVD and the hoodie) so I guess! No royalties. I'm wondering what kind of plans they have for the King Arino pic since they bought that from me too.

I really would love to translate The Chief is a Great Detective, but Ray mentioned there was some sort of limitation that made it hard to hack?

zari-gani fucked around with this message at 08:17 on Nov 4, 2012

Xik
Mar 10, 2011

Dinosaur Gum

zari-gani posted:

No royalties.

Is this normal for art you sell (and in the industry) or did you just make that arrangement with them because you're a big fan of the show?

e: VVVVV Interesting, thanks!

Xik fucked around with this message at 09:20 on Nov 4, 2012

zari-gani
Sep 6, 2004

Xik posted:

Is this normal for art you sell (and in the industry) or did you just make that arrangement with them because you're a big fan of the show?

Absolutely normal for both!

Hokuto
Jul 21, 2002

Soiled Meat

zari-gani posted:

I really would love to translate The Chief is a Great Detective, but Ray mentioned there was some sort of limitation that made it hard to hack?

If you ever do, could I suggest the term Supersleuth in lieu of Great Detective? It just rolls off the tongue easier. :v:

Corridor
Oct 19, 2006

zari-gani posted:

Absolutely normal for both!

Really? I thought that was kinda abnormal and/or skeevy. Guess I was wrong (have never sold a design).

zari-gani posted:

Goddammit Ray now you are going to have us all out for your blood if you don't make a supreme hacking effort. :argh:

Hokuto posted:

If you ever do, could I suggest the term Supersleuth in lieu of Great Detective? It just rolls off the tongue easier. :v:

Great Detective is a reference to Sherlock Holmes.

Tyma
Dec 22, 2004

I love Leinster and I couldn't be happier that Jordie Barrett has signed with them on a short term deal.

Corridor posted:

Great Detective is a reference to Sherlock Holmes.

There's actually an incredibly weird kusoge game called "Action & Adventures Sherlock Holmes" on the Famicom, where Holmes runs around cities murdering every pedestrian in sight, so he can grind enough money to take a train to Edinburgh and chill out in the sewers, where he kills hundreds of bad guys who all have an unskippable dialogue with him as they die.

It's magical!

None of the 300 generic Famicom "Detective" GCCX is riffing on have anything to do with that, though :{

edit : Oh, apparantly the sequal to Action & Adventures Sherlock Holmes is a Generic Famicom Detective Game. Was it notable within the genre?

Tyma fucked around with this message at 14:16 on Nov 4, 2012

Katana Gomai
Jan 14, 2007

"Thus," concluded Miyamoto, "you must give up everything you have to be my disciple."

I must find this game and beat it when my Japanese is good enough. What's the Japanese title?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cemetry Gator
Apr 3, 2007

Do you find something comical about my appearance when I'm driving my automobile?
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Sherlock-Holmes-Famicom-NES-Japan-import-/251074945913?pt=Video_Games_Games&hash=item3a753ba379

This was the only thing I could find online about that game. I am now really curious, but since I lack a Famicom, I'm not going to spend money on it.

Edit: I have good timing. Somebody wanted to find the game, and I found it for them. I'm pretty good.