Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
SirViver
Oct 22, 2008

exquisite tea posted:

I've never tested it, but does putting a smart choke on a Reeger tighten the spread?
The Reegar has no spread, so no. It's essentially a pinpoint accurate laser (despite what the GFX suggest), and the only reason you can't snipe with it is that it has a max range of 5 meters or so.

Insert name here posted:

Nothing like opening a PSP and having both golds be something you've already got. I mean I appreciate the weapon upgrades and all but you can't say it isn't a little disappointing to basically get nothing new. Was really hoping for the Revenant or Turian Havoc. :(
Don't worry, that's normal, and it's still better than just getting lvl IV consumables, which is still better than the old days where you instead got completely useless character cards - no joke, they were actually worth exactly nothing (once you had all appearance unlocks and the class at lvl 20), so you basically paid 99k for an ops pack and two uncommon consumables.

Part of it could be confirmation bias, but I'm fairly certain what you're seeing is an artifact of how Bioware coded the item randomization; which item you get isn't a simple die roll, it's multiple rolls that first determine which type, rarity, and quality you get before doing the final roll for the actual item. As a result of this pre-selection, some uncommon items are much rarer than most rares, and I believe you're also slightly more likely to upgrade items you already have than unlocking new ones. At least I've seen it happen multiple times that a certain weapon took ages to unlock, but once you had it suddenly the upgrades kept pouring in, respectively you first had to fully upgrade weapons to get them out of the pool to increase your chances of unlocking new ones.

By the way, personally I'd stick to Spectre Packs at first, as they have a greater overall value than PSP's do. The latter only become interesting if you don't need any consumables or simply want better chances for unlocking the ultra-rares.

Oh and speaking of which, a single SP has a 4.9% chance of unlocking an UR, whereas a PSP has a 9.61% chance. Two SP's combine to a 9.56% chance, and if you adjust for the price difference you can say 100k of SP's buy you a 7.97% chance whereas 100k of PSP's give you 9.71% (at least if that one excel sheet with the chances for each pack slot is correct). [/sperg]

SirViver fucked around with this message at 14:48 on Nov 4, 2012

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BreakAtmo
May 16, 2009

Ha, religious people think they know what Hell is. That it's fire and brimstone, all ruled over by the Devil himself. Hardly. It's Gold Collectors, where every objective wave is a hack. :negative:

Well, that's what I thought at first. Then I returned to the main menu and read "Zoran501 has accomplished 'Firebase Jade: Platinum Waves!'"

gently caress you, Zoran. Now I feel like I belong here: http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3511554

The Slithery D
Jul 19, 2012

BreakAtmo posted:

Ha, religious people think they know what Hell is. That it's fire and brimstone, all ruled over by the Devil himself. Hardly. It's Gold Collectors, where every objective wave is a hack. :negative:
I joined a lobby that was set to Collectors/Condor. Having been thrown into in progress or random games there twice, I got out.

I still haven't seen anyone twisted enough to choose Collectors/London up front.

UnknownMercenary
Nov 1, 2011

I LIKE IT
WAY WAY TOO LOUD

Collectors/Gold/Goddess. Wave 6 atrium hack. There were so many loving Praetorians.

BreakAtmo
May 16, 2009

The Slithery D posted:

I joined a lobby that was set to Collectors/Condor. Having been thrown into in progress or random games there twice, I got out.

I still haven't seen anyone twisted enough to choose Collectors/London up front.

This was Ghost. Can't believe we got out of that one alive. Thank the Gethfiltrator with the Piranha. Not me, the Drell with the GPR.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

In this episode of "oh yeah, I remember that class," the Asari Vanguard is still pretty good, especially after the buffs to Lift Grenade. She's somewhat unique in having three individually good powers that don't mesh together as well as you might expect, which keeps her from truly being top tier IMHO. I'm thinking it might be good to try the cooldown reset evolution on Charge instead of full shields. Anybody have luck with that?

Elotana
Dec 12, 2003

and i'm putting it all on the goddamn expense account
Gold pugs are terrible today. A lot of people whose strategy for Phantoms is "run away and let the Drell carrying my sorry rear end deal with them"

HiroChicken
Jun 3, 2007

Eevee of Tomorrow

exquisite tea posted:

In this episode of "oh yeah, I remember that class," the Asari Vanguard is still pretty good, especially after the buffs to Lift Grenade. She's somewhat unique in having three individually good powers that don't mesh together as well as you might expect, which keeps her from truly being top tier IMHO. I'm thinking it might be good to try the cooldown reset evolution on Charge instead of full shields. Anybody have luck with that?

I've been using her a lot recently, and it's been a lot of fun. It also got me into using the Disciple, which I hadn't really used before, but I've come to appreciate it. I only take Stasis to 3 though to help lock down Phantoms.

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR

Elotana posted:

Gold pugs are terrible today. A lot of people whose strategy for Phantoms is "run away and let the Drell carrying my sorry rear end deal with them"

You can 3-shot them with the Acolyte! They fly like plastic bags! COME ON, PEOPLE! :supaburn:

Silver Alicorn
Mar 30, 2008

𝓪 𝓻𝓮𝓭 𝓹𝓪𝓷𝓭𝓪 𝓲𝓼 𝓪 𝓬𝓾𝓻𝓲𝓸𝓾𝓼 𝓼𝓸𝓻𝓽 𝓸𝓯 𝓬𝓻𝓮𝓪𝓽𝓾𝓻𝓮

Elotana posted:

Last night it was "get killed 1 minute into the round and let the geth engineer do all the work while complaining over voice chat in Russian." Outscored everyone else 2 to 1 after failing on wave 8. Against Cerberus.

Psion
Dec 13, 2002

eVeN I KnOw wHaT CoRnEr gAs iS

VJeff posted:

You can 3-shot them with the Acolyte! They fly like plastic bags! COME ON, PEOPLE! :supaburn:

Acolyte, phase disruptor, acolyte or charge if you're feeling ballsy = don't give a poo poo about Phantoms.

I'm trying to extract on Rio 15 times, going for the Survivor title. It is infuriating that the particle rifle and collector sniper don't work past lock-on range. I can see things three times as far away. Yeah yeah, use a different gun, I'm just experimenting with everything.

LeastActionHero
Oct 23, 2008

exquisite tea posted:

With the buff to charge, I prefer to skip stasis entirely. Stasis is good for getting headshots, but charge/grenade/grenade works just as well, even on phantoms.

If you really wanted to, it wouldn't be a terrible idea to go 3/6/6/5/6. Carry something to snip with and play like a biotic sniper. That was a great build when the Kishock could get full-strength headshots on banshees.

Fluffs McCloud
Dec 25, 2005
On an IHOP crusade
What the hell is up with random players today, I've lost more matches in playing today than in my entire time with the game I think. I'm pretty sure I haven't managed to successfully extract more than 1 out of every 4 games. I'm not great by a long shot, but this is loving ridiculous.

FronzelNeekburm
Jun 1, 2001

STOP, MORTTIME

Elotana posted:

Had a group really outperform their N7/class ranks last night on Silver with techsplosions, so I stuck around when the leader switched to Gold. Gold/Collectors/Glacier. And two of them (including a Krogan!) just died instantly every round. Wiped on wave 5 after using all my missiles and medigel reviving them and finishing the defuse on wave 3. :unsmigghh:

Insert name here
Nov 10, 2009

Oh.
Oh Dear.
:ohdear:

SirViver posted:

By the way, personally I'd stick to Spectre Packs at first, as they have a greater overall value than PSP's do. The latter only become interesting if you don't need any consumables or simply want better chances for unlocking the ultra-rares.
I've basically just being buying Spectre Packs/Premium Spectre Packs based on what I can afford; at ~80k credits for a gold game that generally means that I can alternate SP/PSP if every game I succeed and don't wipe. Wiping usually means I just pick up another regular SP instead of a PSP.

nwin
Feb 25, 2002

make's u think

Today I saw a kroguard never charge once for a whole game...well we got to wave 5 before wiping. He had been playing his other classes well, but not the kroguard.

Is there any reason for not following ABC here? I was loving baffled.

Oh, I also ran into a middle glitcher- I thought this poo poo was fixed but nope. Worse yet is we were playing gold and he died at least once a wave. How can you die so much when you're loving cheating!?

Sapozhnik
Jan 2, 2005

Nap Ghost
so yeah Skype is my most hated program in the whole world, and that's saying something.

Everything about its UI has to be loving special, including its notification pop-ups. And if your (invisible in game) mouse cursor happens to be over one of those pops when you click, then BOY HOWDY drop loving everything ladies and gentlemen, motherfucking SKYPE coming at ya!

Came so close to wiping because of that loving thing.

Blindeye
Sep 22, 2006

I can't believe I kissed you!

VJeff posted:

If you have an Acolyte :sigh:. I still don't have that, the typhoon, the scorpion, the destroyer, the fury or the brawler. I've been very lucky in having the weapon mods though, so it could be worse.

Fluffs McCloud
Dec 25, 2005
On an IHOP crusade
Has anyone managed the 25000 points thing with tech armor? How so? It's the only thing left I need/can get for the mathemagician banner.

TheDK
Jun 5, 2009
Took the human adept out for some levelling action this morning (wanted to respec my justicar) and it was loads of fun. Priming multiple targets with a well placed singularity is very nice. I totally skipped shockwave, am i doing it wrong? I also took the detonation evo on warp.

GulMadred
Oct 20, 2005

I don't understand how you can be so mistaken.

PestiferousTrollop posted:

Has anyone managed the 25000 points thing with tech armor? How so? It's the only thing left I need/can get for the mathemagician banner.
Yes, many people have done so. You walk up to someone and detonate your Tech Armor, which inflicts a few hundred points of damage to anything nearby. Then you reactivate your armor and do it again.

I obtained the achievement by using Tech Armor detonations situationally (e.g. staggering nearby Phantoms) across a few Gold games, with most of my damage output consisting of guns and Overload. One of the posters here managed to complete the achievement in a single Bronze game by using Tech Armor detonations exclusively.

randombattle
Oct 16, 2008

This hand of mine shines and roars! It's bright cry tells me to grasp victory!

GulMadred posted:

Yes, many people have done so. You walk up to someone and detonate your Tech Armor, which inflicts a few hundred points of damage to anything nearby. Then you reactivate your armor and do it again.

I obtained the achievement by using Tech Armor detonations situationally (e.g. staggering nearby Phantoms) across a few Gold games, with most of my damage output consisting of guns and Overload. One of the posters here managed to complete the achievement in a single Bronze game by using Tech Armor detonations exclusively.

Alternative just load up bronze,reaper solo and get a krogan specced for maximum tech armor damage and power damage then slap a power bonus mod on if you are really lazy and run around the map detonating over and over. You will kill everything in one hit, get all the points about 5-6 minutes into the match, and still be basically invincible.

Dr. Red Ranger
Nov 9, 2011

Nap Ghost

TheDK posted:

Took the human adept out for some levelling action this morning (wanted to respec my justicar) and it was loads of fun. Priming multiple targets with a well placed singularity is very nice. I totally skipped shockwave, am i doing it wrong? I also took the detonation evo on warp.

Shockwave is a fun power since the crippling glitches that prevented it from working have been fixed. It has a detonation boosting upgrade and can hit several targets at once, especially with the now functional radius upgrade so it goes well with singularity. You certainly don't need it but it's easier to hit dodgy enemies to make sure your biotic explosions go off.

jpmeyer
Jan 17, 2012

parody image of che

GulMadred posted:

It was surprisingly quick for me too. I used KroSent and ran into mobs, blew tech armor, then meleed survivors.

I've also purposely specced classes to maximize the specific powers I'm trying to clear, even when those powers/builds were suboptimal. I figure that it'll take 60 promotions for N7 mastery, so I'll constantly be respeccing anyway.

Lagomorphic
Apr 21, 2008

AKA: Orthonormal

GulMadred posted:

I got it by speccing a spare human for detonations and soloing a few waves of bronze. It's pretty easy to get quickly if you want to cheese it. You can also get cryo blast done quickly with a human inf specced for extra damage on frozen targets. Bring whatever gun you need points for.

Fluffs McCloud
Dec 25, 2005
On an IHOP crusade

GulMadred posted:

Hrmm, maybe respeccing it would be the best option, cause I was using it on krogan sentinel and even with pretty constant detonations, I was picking up only a couple thousand points per game.

Semisponge
Mar 9, 2006

I FUCKING LOVE BUTTS

Dr. Red Ranger posted:

Shockwave is a fun power since the crippling glitches that prevented it from working have been fixed. It has a detonation boosting upgrade and can hit several targets at once, especially with the now functional radius upgrade so it goes well with singularity. You certainly don't need it but it's easier to hit dodgy enemies to make sure your biotic explosions go off.

That's been fixed? It wasn't the last time I checked, after the most recent patch.

TheDK
Jun 5, 2009

Dr. Red Ranger posted:

Hows this look?
http://narida.pytalhost.com/me3/classes/?mobile#00PQGIF%400%400%40A%40%40%400%400%400%400

Apologies if that doesn't work i am on a mobile.

E: oh sounds like still some issues with shockwave.

Lagomorphic
Apr 21, 2008

I've been using Shockwave a lot with radius upgrade and haven't encountered any issues with it so far. Others have said that it's still hosed though so...

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

Elotana posted:

I had a game where my entire team immediately died on turn two. Then I soloed the wave and thought "why am I wasting my time with this" and quit. Then the exact same thing happened in 3 more games.

I'm seeing lots of <20 vanguards trying gold games.

Jet Jaguar
Feb 12, 2006

Don't touch my bags if you please, Mr Customs Man.

It would be a lot easier to complete this weekend mission if Origin would stay connected for more than 20 minutes at a time. Ugh.

Dr. Red Ranger
Nov 9, 2011

Nap Ghost

TheDK posted:

Hows this look?
http://narida.pytalhost.com/me3/classes/?mobile#00PQGIF%400%400%40A%40%40%400%400%400%400

Apologies if that doesn't work i am on a mobile.

E: oh sounds like still some issues with shockwave.

If there are still some issues with shockwave, I haven't seen them. I play on xbox though, so there may be some platform differences.

If you take the detonation ability on singularity, then the radius instead of duration upgrade is pretty smart. I don't know how often it will help though beyond simply having the power at 6 so that your explosions are full power.

Standard debuff/explody warp there; I've never seen anyone use anything else but it is a good primer/detonator so it should be perfectly serviceable as long as your targets aren't dodge happy.

Shockwave at 5 will have a weaker detonation than it would at 6. You can make up for it with the detonation upgrade but then why not just take it to 6 and make sure it's as nasty as possible? Force and damage vs radius is a personal thing but I find radius is easier to use, especially when blasting through walls and cover when you aren't sure what's there. If you wanted to take it to six it would probably be more pragmatic to take recharge speed instead of lifting, but if you're already traveling light then it won't be as useful, while troopers floating away instead of shooting at you is always funny.

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR
Speakin' of the GPR, is it worth it at all? I was thinking with the ginormous clip and headshot bonus, you may be able to build some kinda crazy build with a Turian Soldier and a Thermal Scope or something.

jpmeyer
Jan 17, 2012

parody image of che
I've had games with no issues with shockwave, games where it stops working almost instantly, and games where it was flaky. No idea why.

Lagomorphic
Apr 21, 2008

VJeff posted:

Speakin' of the GPR, is it worth it at all? I was thinking with the ginormous clip and headshot bonus, you may be able to build some kinda crazy build with a Turian Soldier and a Thermal Scope or something.

Someone was saying that it works best on the Geth Eng as a high accuraccy ammo power applicator for priming tech combos with overload. I'd start there. Or use extended clip with adrenaline rush/marksman for a fun gimmick. Play a whole match without ever using the reload button. Human soldier would be better than turian though the GPR is already very accurate and stable so the main issue you need to address is the low damage.

Dr. Abysmal
Feb 17, 2010

We're all doomed

Lagomorphic posted:

I've been using Shockwave a lot with radius upgrade and haven't encountered any issues with it so far. Others have said that it's still hosed though so...

Word on the street is that it was fixed on Xbox but the problem persists on PC for some reason. I've never definitively heard a PC player say it was fixed so I never take radius, I may give it a shot with the female adept so I don't have to burn a re-spec on a character I actually use when it turns out it's still bugged.

Lagomorphic
Apr 21, 2008

Yeah I'm on Xbox so that may be the case. I did the same thing with my spare human after the patch before I started using radius on my other kits.

Burning Mustache
Sep 4, 2006

Zaeed got stories.
Kasumi got loot.
All I got was a hole in my suit.
It definitely works fine without the radius evolution on PC anyway, and it seems like a huge waste to skip it completely.
I've been using the class a lot recently and been having a blast. Popping Singularity or Warp on an enemy and rolling around a corner, into cover, only to detonate them through the wall a moment later is way too good an ability to pass up.

balistafreak
Oct 30, 2012
So I spammed Recruit packs until I got myself a level 10 assault rifle, which has been serving me well for my silver games on the Sentinel and Vanguard.

Do I spam the pack that's one level up, or should I go straight for the most expensive pack now?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gordon Shumway
Jan 21, 2008

balistafreak posted:

So I spammed Recruit packs until I got myself a level 10 assault rifle, which has been serving me well for my silver games on the Sentinel and Vanguard.

Do I spam the pack that's one level up, or should I go straight for the most expensive pack now?

I would keep playing the Silver matches and go for the Veteran packs. You can buy at least one for every silver match you play, and it'll give you more of the silver weapons/gear plus a shot at the gold stuff.

• Locked thread