Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Tyma
Dec 22, 2004

I love Leinster and I couldn't be happier that Jordie Barrett has signed with them on a short term deal.

Katana Gomai posted:

I must find this game and beat it when my Japanese is good enough. What's the Japanese title?

Action & Adventures Sherlock Holmes : Hakushaku Reijou Yuukai Jiken

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Katana Gomai
Jan 14, 2007

"Thus," concluded Miyamoto, "you must give up everything you have to be my disciple."

Thanks to both of you, looking at the cover in that auction I shouldn't have any problems identifying it in a store.

Katana Gomai fucked around with this message at 14:50 on Nov 4, 2012

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

I you can't sing along with the graveyard theme by this point then you just haven't been paying attention. It's the third and find outing for Arino in the Ghost'n Goblins series (at least until they start using PS2 games and play Maximo) as they bring in Super Ghouls'n Ghosts. Can the heroic Red Arremer stand up to Arino's onslaught?

This time out the episode is brought to you by Nagoyan, the only person on earth to get the ultra secret endings to each game in the series by completing them three times in a row.

Download torrent81 (1 files; 594.74 MB)
View torrent stats

Direct Download

Random Stranger fucked around with this message at 15:48 on Nov 4, 2012

orochi
Oct 9, 2012

/usr/bin/orochi
Oh wow! The trilogy is complete.

If I recall correctly something paranormal was supposed to happen during this episode. Or at least that's what the preview for the episode said. This should be good.

Kerfuffle
Aug 16, 2007

The sky calls to us~

Corridor posted:

Really? I thought that was kinda abnormal and/or skeevy. Guess I was wrong (have never sold a design).

Design stuff/one is more about licensing variations than royalties. Books are really the only thing that royalties pop up in.

Jest3
Apr 27, 2010
Thank you so much!
I played the heck out of SGnG as a kid, can't wait to see how Arino does it !

xamphear
Apr 9, 2002

SILK FOR CALDÉ!

Intentional or did it slip past?

Stanos
Sep 22, 2009

The best 57 in hockey.
I think it's a difference in how it says it? I think that was in the First Samurai episode too. I've noticed Arino sometimes says 'Game Over' a little strange.

Agent Interrobang
Mar 27, 2010

sugar & spice & psychoactive mushrooms
Yeah, he always pronounces 'game' with a hard-e sound, too. It sounds like 'gamay obera' when he says it aloud. Arino's English pronunciation isn't exactly great.

Tobaccrow
Jan 21, 2008

Don't smoke, kids... Unless you have to.
He's purposely pronouncing it as if it was romanized Japanese as a joke. He knows what it says, guys.

zari-gani
Sep 6, 2004

How much do you want it? ;-*

Corridor posted:

Really? I thought that was kinda abnormal and/or skeevy. Guess I was wrong (have never sold a design).

Not at all. There's a reason why the term "starving artist" exists. If I ever got a royalty in my life that would be incredible.

Gascoin Company were more than reasonable with what they paid me for the right to use those pictures and they are good people. I won't reveal how much but I don't want anyone to think they screwed me over in any way.

Kerfuffle posted:

Design stuff/one is more about licensing variations than royalties. Books are really the only thing that royalties pop up in.

Yeah and even then, I think in many cases you have to sell a certain amount of books to start getting royalties and it's a lot of books (when the book makes up for the costs and starts making a profit?).

In case anyone is wondering, this is Arino and his comedy partner Hamaguchi.

Arremer: "I'll congratulate you on having made it this far. But you will never defeat me!"
Arino (side text): "This is impossible."
Arino: "Oh?!"
Hamaguchi: "Arino! Listen up! I captured the enemy homeland: the Demon Village!"
Arino: "For real? Way to go, Hamaguchi! Seriously!"
Arino: "The fight's on. Now it's GAME OVER (gamay obera) for you." (cooling sheet: Chief on)

Hamaguchi is commonly depicted in media wearing a yellow apron and white headband with a fishing spear in hand. He's known for being really good at catching fish underwater with a spear. His catchphrase is "tottado~!" or "I caught one/it!" (There's a bit more character to this in Japanese which doesn't really translate in English...) So in GCCX, when Arino catches fish and goes "I caught one!" or "Catch of the day!" he's actually repeating Hamaguchi's catchphrase. And when the King goes "Can Arino catch a big one?" he's saying "Will Arino be able to shout 'tottado~!'?" Naturally we aren't about to stick up a gigantic translator's note for this in every instance...

zari-gani fucked around with this message at 20:16 on Nov 4, 2012

joek0
Oct 13, 2011
Thanks for subbing the entire Makaimura Trilogy for us. This series and the Rockman/Megaman games are in the top of my GCCX episode list for favorite episodes.

Can't wait to see Arino challenge more Capcom titles down the line. I can't wait to see Arino challenge Megaman 5.

I could hardly tell in the fanart that the other person was Hamaguchi. They need to bring Hamaguchi again for more GCCX episodes.

You said that a season 16 episode with AD Itou is in the works. The season 16 episode I would like to see subbed is Gun Dec/Vice: Project Doom.

joek0 fucked around with this message at 20:02 on Nov 4, 2012

FredMSloniker
Jan 2, 2008

Why, yes, I do like Kirby games.
Something I noticed watching the episode is that they used the color blue for the 'loss' and red for the 'win' in Arino's stats. This is a Japanese convention I've seen before, in Pokemon (showing stats being lowered or raised, respectively, by a pokemon's nature), and in both cases I was momentarily confused. Just a little moment of :japan:.

zari-gani
Sep 6, 2004

FredMSloniker posted:

Something I noticed watching the episode is that they used the color blue for the 'loss' and red for the 'win' in Arino's stats. This is a Japanese convention I've seen before, in Pokemon (showing stats being lowered or raised, respectively, by a pokemon's nature), and in both cases I was momentarily confused. Just a little moment of :japan:.

Red is indeed considered the colour of victory! There's been scientific studies that have "proven" wearing red increases the chances of winning in sports -- it supposedly gives the players confidence.

From the Kirby Super Star challenge: one of my favourite Arino reactions ever.

zari-gani fucked around with this message at 22:33 on Nov 4, 2012

jyrque
Sep 4, 2011

Gravy Boat 2k
This one from the latest SA release made me laugh. Never seen Arino with that face before.

Stiev Awt
Mar 20, 2007

zari-gani posted:

Red is indeed considered the colour of victory! There's been scientific studies that have "proven" wearing red increases the chances of winning in sports -- it supposedly gives the players confidence.

24 Stanley Cups is pretty strong evidence I'd say.

ExiledTinkerer
Nov 4, 2009
Man the GnG finale was so tense and fantastic---thanks so much for it and all the rest in the series getting deftly wrapped up for all to enjoy!

Krioni
Oct 9, 2012

jyrque posted:

This one from the latest SA release made me laugh. Never seen Arino with that face before.

That face is priceless! The Kirby NC episode would make a nice Valentine's Day special heh.

Davzz
Jul 31, 2008

zari-gani posted:

I suppose they would win more if they were also 3 times faster from all the red.

rdbbb
Jul 26, 2011

zari-gani posted:

I really would love to translate The Chief is a Great Detective, but Ray mentioned there was some sort of limitation that made it hard to hack?

Oh, I didn't mean just that game, but RGC2 in general.

Corridor posted:

Goddammit Ray now you are going to have us all out for your blood if you don't make a supreme hacking effort. :argh:

That'd be a shame since I am/was only doing editing! I don't have the expertise for any kind of hacking, so I don't want anyone thinking I was the originator of the project or was otherwise lording over it; I just want to help.

rdbbb fucked around with this message at 02:05 on Nov 5, 2012

zari-gani
Sep 6, 2004

Hokuto posted:

If you ever do, could I suggest the term Supersleuth in lieu of Great Detective? It just rolls off the tongue easier. :v:

I like your suggestion, and it is easier to say... but like Corridor mentioned, I don't want the Sherlock Holmes allusion to be lost.

NarbYehoot posted:

24 Stanley Cups is pretty strong evidence I'd say.

Blue-jerseyed Canucks here... 'nuff said.

rdbbb posted:

Oh, I didn't mean just that game, but RGC2 in general.

Oh I see. Is that why progress came to a halt?

zari-gani fucked around with this message at 03:00 on Nov 5, 2012

rdbbb
Jul 26, 2011

More or less. And people going to school and stuff. My reply again for the record

SmockJoc
Oct 4, 2004
What a great episode. Going to go play Super GnG again now...

OnimaruXLR
Sep 15, 2007
Lurklurklurklurklurk

Tobaccrow posted:

He's purposely pronouncing it as if it was romanized Japanese as a joke. He knows what it says, guys.

I think he was trying to pronounce it with (Japanese version of) a French or Italian accent. I'm not sure what was the first episode it happened though, although I'd imagine it's one where he was encountering a lot of Gamé Obellas.

These GNG games are pure sadistic nightmare fodder. Even D. Souls games don't say "Now play New Game+ if you want a real ending!" Buncha quarter-munchin bullshit!

zari-gani
Sep 6, 2004

OnimaruXLR posted:

I think he was trying to pronounce it with (Japanese version of) a French or Italian accent.

"Gamé obera" ガメオベラ is when he's reading it as though it's romanized Japanese. "Gamé občre" ガメオベール is when he puts a French twist on it (first appears during Metal Storm).

Since you're here, is there any chance of you translating more eps? :3:

Shock Trooper
Oct 24, 2006

TERROR BALTIMORE
Super Ghouls n Ghosts having limited continues sure is harsh. Makes me wonder why they didn't just let Arino use the level select code to restart at the level he last reached, like in Contra.

Obeast
Aug 26, 2006
Ő_~ ANIME BABE LOVER 2000 ~_Ő
The SGNG episode was a great way to end that trilogy. I remember my brothers renting it a long time ago, but I don't remember that much about it aside from the shifting landscape in the first level. I think I did play a little bit on an emulator a couple years ago, but I never got past the first level (I'm sure I could now that I'm somewhat better at retro games, but I kinda doubt I'd even finish the entire game). Thank you guys once again for another awesome job. :)

Also, is the stage 1 music of these games stuck in anyone else's head now?

VVVV That's true... I blame my lack of experience in the GNG series. :shobon:

Obeast fucked around with this message at 11:40 on Nov 5, 2012

TeaJay
Oct 9, 2012

Obeast posted:

Also, is the stage 1 music of these games stuck in anyone else's head now?

I think it's the single most memorable game music themes, like, ever, so yes.

makere
Jan 14, 2012
Hurrah, Season 7 is now completely subbed, thanks for all the hard work. :hfive:

Keyboard Kid
Sep 12, 2006

If you stay here too long, you'll end up frying your brain. Yes, you will. No, you will...not. Yesno, you will won't.

Shock Trooper posted:

Super Ghouls n Ghosts having limited continues sure is harsh. Makes me wonder why they didn't just let Arino use the level select code to restart at the level he last reached, like in Contra.

It's not really limited. You pick up the money bags to get continues, which is pretty much infinite if you know about it.

zari-gani
Sep 6, 2004

The teacher-student's Princess Tomato challenge translation project has been declared dead, freeing it up for us. Since Nagoyan and I are working to fill up the gaps in the first 10 seasons, expect to see this one released soon! Hopefully you'll enjoy it more than Arino and the staff did!

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Keyboard Kid posted:

It's not really limited. You pick up the money bags to get continues, which is pretty much infinite if you know about it.

Yeah, you only risk running out of continues on stages with no moneybags. Which almost happens to poor Arino.

Crotch Bat
Dec 6, 2003

Much like with everything else in life, the Euros seem to have more sense on how to do things in a fun atmosphere without sucking the soul out of the event.

zari-gani posted:

The teacher-student's Princess Tomato challenge translation project has been declared dead, freeing it up for us. Since Nagoyan and I are working to fill up the gaps in the first 10 seasons, expect to see this one released soon! Hopefully you'll enjoy it more than Arino and the staff did!

I love when you can tell the difference between Arino's "I'm tired and this game is hard(but fair) and I just wanna go home" and "I'm tired and this game is hard(and boring) and a bunch of unfair bullshit and I just wanna go home" faces.

That one is so the latter.

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

zari-gani posted:

It's astounding to me how few untranslated episodes are left. Two years ago we wondering if we'd ever get another episode...

Ineffiable
Feb 16, 2008

Some say that his politics are terrifying, and that he once punched a horse to the ground...

Random Stranger posted:

It's astounding to me how few untranslated episodes are left. Two years ago we wondering if we'd ever get another episode...

It's kind of exciting to think that one day this will be like translations for new anime series airing, that we wait for a new episode to air just so we can translate and release it.

zari-gani
Sep 6, 2004

Crotch Bat posted:

I love when you can tell the difference between Arino's "I'm tired and this game is hard(but fair) and I just wanna go home" and "I'm tired and this game is hard(and boring) and a bunch of unfair bullshit and I just wanna go home" faces.

That one is so the latter.

To be fair, I'll post a screenshot of Arino reacting to the part that made him laugh hardest.

He's reacting to a line that's not even in the American version (I just checked on my copy of the game). That's one thing I will say about this episode -- it's interesting seeing the small differences between the Japanese and censored English version.

ETA: I J-Googled that line and found out the line was changed (I don't know to what) in the Japanese GBA and VC releases. Wonder why... it wasn't scandalous or potentially offensive or anything.

zari-gani fucked around with this message at 00:55 on Nov 6, 2012

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

zari-gani posted:

That's one thing I will say about this episode -- it's interesting seeing the small differences between the Japanese and censored English version.

I don't know why Nintendo of America made them cut that. It's only grapefruit boobs!

Ineffiable posted:

It's kind of exciting to think that one day this will be like translations for new anime series airing, that we wait for a new episode to air just so we can translate and release it.

We're probably still a year out from that (assuming everything continues as it has). If Arino really does retire from the show after ten years then we'd catch up with him right as he quit...

And that just reminded me that we missed it. November 4, yesterday, was the ninth anniversary of Game Center CX.

Mister Chief
Jun 6, 2011

Has he ever mentioned 10 years as being a stopping point for him?

Crotch Bat
Dec 6, 2003

Much like with everything else in life, the Euros seem to have more sense on how to do things in a fun atmosphere without sucking the soul out of the event.
I mean as much as seasons 1-12 have been done, there's still like 40 episodes from just the most recent seasons which we can look forward to not to mention the show isn't over so that number will continue to grow(and shrink and grow and so on).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

zari-gani
Sep 6, 2004

Random Stranger posted:

I don't know why Nintendo of America made them cut that. It's only grapefruit boobs!

That was an orange, and fortunately none of that part was changed in the English version.

Random Stranger posted:

And that just reminded me that we missed it. November 4, yesterday, was the ninth anniversary of Game Center CX.

The show and Kan says it's the 10th anniversary though. Because they're counting Season 1, I guess?

Mister Chief posted:

Has he ever mentioned 10 years as being a stopping point for him?

He did in the 5th book.