Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

maxmars
Nov 20, 2006

Ad bestias!

rio posted:

My NEX-5N screen is getting to the point where the coating peeling off and small scratches are becoming an issue. I baby the camera overall so it is disappointing to see after trying to take care of it and it not being some el cheapo piece of electronics.

I have seen a couple YouTube videos of people buying a 10 dollar glass screen, taking off the stock one and replacing it but I'm wondering if anyone hear has done it or could recommend replacement screens?

I also have this problem. Anyone? Thanks!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bouillon Rube
Aug 6, 2009

Zurich posted:

I'm a total idiot and wasn't careful enough with my GF1 on vacation - seems like I have sand in my 20mm pancake lens. You can hear it grinding when you adjust the focus. Photos are fine, but how can I get it repaired? Any idea how much it would cost?

If you're brave you can try taking it apart yourself...
http://www.imaging-resource.com/news/2012/10/29/dissected-panasonics-lumix-g-14mm-and-20mm-prime-lenses

If it still works I wouldn't really bother though. I've had sand in a Canon EF 50mm f/1.8 for several years, and other than the obnoxious grinding noises it's fine.

Bouillon Rube fucked around with this message at 15:53 on Nov 3, 2012

Solo Bentley
Dec 4, 2006
talk done

rio posted:

My NEX-5N screen is getting to the point where the coating peeling off and small scratches are becoming an issue. I baby the camera overall so it is disappointing to see after trying to take care of it and it not being some el cheapo piece of electronics.

I have seen a couple YouTube videos of people buying a 10 dollar glass screen, taking off the stock one and replacing it but I'm wondering if anyone hear has done it or could recommend replacement screens?

maxmars posted:

I also have this problem. Anyone? Thanks!

I've done the replacement twice, on a Nex 5 and 5n. It's super simple. Just peel back the screen that's on your nex now using a credit card for leverage if you need to, then stick the glass protector on. I did it in a steamy bathroom to try to neutralize dust particles.

This is the seller I bought it from on ebay. Took about 2-3 weeks to arrive in Toronto, Canada.
[url]http://www.ebay.com/itm/JYC-Pro-LCD-Screen-glass-protector-for-Sony-NEX3-NEX5-/250880356468?ssPageName=ADME:L:OC:ca:3160[/url]

Also, whatever7 was nice enough to document the process with pictures earlier in this thread. http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3410935&userid=0&perpage=40&pagenumber=18#post399449993

Pompous Rhombus
Mar 11, 2007
Yodobashi :argh:

Have the X-E1 on display with the kit. Ok, cool. Have the three primes sitting next to it on tethers. Go to mount the 35mm f/1.4 and there's cardboard and stuff inside the lens. They're nonfunctional display models. Down the row is the X-Pro1, with the 35mm f/1.4 mounted, also tethered, and they're too far away to get one on the other.

Overall impression is fairly positive so far. Ideally I guess I'd like to rent one for a weekend first, but that kinda sucks in Japan AFAIK.

Pompous Rhombus fucked around with this message at 03:41 on Nov 4, 2012

rio
Mar 20, 2008

Solo Bentley posted:

I've done the replacement twice, on a Nex 5 and 5n. It's super simple. Just peel back the screen that's on your nex now using a credit card for leverage if you need to, then stick the glass protector on. I did it in a steamy bathroom to try to neutralize dust particles.

This is the seller I bought it from on ebay. Took about 2-3 weeks to arrive in Toronto, Canada.
[url]http://www.ebay.com/itm/JYC-Pro-LCD-Screen-glass-protector-for-Sony-NEX3-NEX5-/250880356468?ssPageName=ADME:L:OC:ca:3160[/url]

Also, whatever7 was nice enough to document the process with pictures earlier in this thread. http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3410935&userid=0&perpage=40&pagenumber=18#post399449993

Thanks a lot - I think I will trying this sometime in the next few weeks. I was originally hesitant about possibly damaging the LCD in the process but that looks like it is not much of an issue.

Did you notice any more noticeable reflection from the glass? I assume that what is peeling is a layer that is meant to reduce reflection so I didn't know if I should expect more reflection interference after the switch.

Solo Bentley
Dec 4, 2006
talk done
It might feel as if you will damage the LCD since it would flex upwards as you pull off the old screen, but the credit card helps a lot to reduce that flex. Just slide it under the protector as you're pulling it off.

I would say the amount of reflection is equal between screens, but definitely do the swap. The screen looks so much better, is much tougher to scratch, and you don't feel like a slob that can't take care of your equipment when you're showing off your photos.

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

I find it really odd that Sony would opt for such a crummy screen "protector" and yet stick it on there so good.

maxmars
Nov 20, 2006

Ad bestias!
Thank you very much, I will definitely get one.

Aargh
Sep 8, 2004

I'm starting to seriously consider selling off all my Canon gear to fund another lens for the X-Pro 1. Any of you guys get rid of a DSLR when you went mirrorless rather than keeping it around? Anything you miss?

mes
Apr 28, 2006

I didn't buy into a system, just a camera rather (the X100) and the biggest differences or trade-offs was the AF speed and different types of optical viewfinder. The XPro 1 (and the X100) offer the EVF as well as the OVF so that helps when you need to frame something more critically, but that doesn't really replace looking through the lens like you would with a SLR for me personally.

Ultimately it was worth it to me because I took more pictures with my camera just because I was more willing to take my camera out with me rather than leaving it in a bag at home.

Aargh
Sep 8, 2004

Mest0r posted:

I didn't buy into a system, just a camera rather (the X100) and the biggest differences or trade-offs was the AF speed and different types of optical viewfinder. The XPro 1 (and the X100) offer the EVF as well as the OVF so that helps when you need to frame something more critically, but that doesn't really replace looking through the lens like you would with a SLR for me personally.

Ultimately it was worth it to me because I took more pictures with my camera just because I was more willing to take my camera out with me rather than leaving it in a bag at home.

I've already bought the X-Pro 1, had it about a month and love it. I've just kept my old 40D kicking around as its got a Tamron 17-50 on it and I occasionally have to shoot exhibitions and events for work. What I'm thinking is to sell the 40D, 17-50, 50 1.8, Batteries cards the lot (tho keep my speedlight) and use the money to either pick up the new 14mm or the new 18-55, then grab the 10-24 the it comes out.

jsmith114
Mar 31, 2005

The NEX 3 is so cheap now. If video isnt my thing and I am OK with a vey slightly larger (plastic) body, is there another reason I am missing not to get a NEX 3 over a 5?

luchadornado
Oct 7, 2004

A boombox is not a toy!

Aargh posted:

I'm starting to seriously consider selling off all my Canon gear to fund another lens for the X-Pro 1. Any of you guys get rid of a DSLR when you went mirrorless rather than keeping it around? Anything you miss?

I sold my T2i, 10-22, 17-40L, 50, and 18-55 to get an X100. As much as I like the X-E1, I feel disconnected from the scene when using the EVF instead of the OVF, so the OVF is the only way I shoot now. The AF speed has been the big annoyance for me. Watching videos of the new firmware it seems that it's been made a lot better on the X-Pro 1 and X-E1. I'm also going to second that I take the camera a lot more places. I was afraid to lug the DSLR in cities and non-photography trips - and now I take the X100 almost everywhere.

Startyde
Apr 19, 2007

come post with us, forever and ever and ever

Aargh posted:

Sold my D200 when I bought into MFT, kept my N90ses for Tri-X. I do miss the VF but I'm going too blind to focus anyway. I picked up one of those eveready-style leatherette cases that fits around the body and 20mm pancake so it's with me 90% of the time.

mes
Apr 28, 2006

Aargh posted:

I've already bought the X-Pro 1, had it about a month and love it. I've just kept my old 40D kicking around as its got a Tamron 17-50 on it and I occasionally have to shoot exhibitions and events for work. What I'm thinking is to sell the 40D, 17-50, 50 1.8, Batteries cards the lot (tho keep my speedlight) and use the money to either pick up the new 14mm or the new 18-55, then grab the 10-24 the it comes out.

Doh, I thought you didn't have the XPro 1 yet. It sounds like you're just asking the internet permission for what you have set in your mind to do anyway. You can probably try shooting with the XPro 1 for work and see if that works out for you to begin with.

Bob Socko
Feb 20, 2001

jsmith114 posted:

The NEX 3 is so cheap now. If video isnt my thing and I am OK with a vey slightly larger (plastic) body, is there another reason I am missing not to get a NEX 3 over a 5?
Try holding them in a store first, just to be sure. I found the 5 series much more comfortable than the 3 due to the 5's larger grip.

There are other differences, sure, but ergonomics are a big deal.

Aargh
Sep 8, 2004

Mest0r posted:

Doh, I thought you didn't have the XPro 1 yet. It sounds like you're just asking the internet permission for what you have set in your mind to do anyway. You can probably try shooting with the XPro 1 for work and see if that works out for you to begin with.

Yeah that's pretty much true about asking the internet. I used the X-Pro for some shots a couple of weeks ago and it was great, just i only have the 35mm so i still had to carry the 40D with me for wide angle shots. Oh well its only money right?

whatever7
Jul 26, 2001

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Bob Socko posted:

Try holding them in a store first, just to be sure. I found the 5 series much more comfortable than the 3 due to the 5's larger grip.

There are other differences, sure, but ergonomics are a big deal.

When I crossshopped the Nex3 and the Nex5, the Nex5 was 100-150 more expensive than the Nex3. As soon as I realized the N5 didn't have bigger battery than the N3 I brought an used N3.

If anyone want a Nex body now. The new Nex-5n give the most bang to the buck (450 with kit lens on newegg.)

I have cracked the back LCD screen of the N3 after two years of usage btw. I am keeping it alone with a XE-1 on order.

I am very excited about the XE-1 actually. I think its the "perfect" APSC system for me. This is the first time I order a new camera body in the last 6 years.

edit: btw for people who have Asian connection, right now you can get the black NEX 1855 for pretty cheap in HK or China. I paid about 125 for mine (¥RMB 780)

whatever7 fucked around with this message at 09:46 on Nov 5, 2012

Ropes4u
May 2, 2009

Startyde posted:

Sold my D200 when I bought into MFT, kept my N90ses for Tri-X. I do miss the VF but I'm going too blind to focus anyway. I picked up one of those eveready-style leatherette cases that fits around the body and 20mm pancake so it's with me 90% of the time.

Do you miss the Nikon? I am a few days away from ordering an OMD instead of a D7000...

Startyde
Apr 19, 2007

Ropes4u posted:

Do you miss the Nikon? I am a few days away from ordering an OMD instead of a D7000...

Nope. The 20 is as good or better than my favorite early 50 f/2, my other favorite lenses are adaptall or M42 anyway so I use them. I do miss having a front wheel, which is present on the Oly. I also miss a good short throw zoom but that's because I'm a dirty poor and won't be buying the 12-35mm.

Having a pair of D70s die on me, that didn't meter with most of my lenses anyway, and then the lackluster performance of the D200 left a bad taste in my mouth. So it wasn't difficult for me to jump ship. I regret nothing and will probably pick up a GX1 while I wait for the OMD2 to drop so I can get an OMD. :v:

Ropes4u
May 2, 2009

Startyde posted:

Nope. The 20 is as good or better than my favorite early 50 f/2, my other favorite lenses are adaptall or M42 anyway so I use them. I do miss having a front wheel, which is present on the Oly. I also miss a good short throw zoom but that's because I'm a dirty poor and won't be buying the 12-35mm.

Having a pair of D70s die on me, that didn't meter with most of my lenses anyway, and then the lackluster performance of the D200 left a bad taste in my mouth. So it wasn't difficult for me to jump ship. I regret nothing and will probably pick up a GX1 while I wait for the OMD2 to drop so I can get an OMD. :v:

Thank you for the response, I keep hearing the same thing on the Internet. But dropping $1200 on the wrong camera is a fear I live with for now.

krackmonkey
Mar 28, 2003

when the going gets weird, the weird turn pro...

Ropes4u posted:

Thank you for the response, I keep hearing the same thing on the Internet. But dropping $1200 on the wrong camera is a fear I live with for now.

I lucked out and found my OM-D body for $749 used with about 800 clicks on it, leaving me with the difference a kit would have cost me to put into the much superior 45/1.8.

I see Olympus is giving the 45 as a bonus to OM-D buyers across the pond, it astounds me that they aren't making a similar offer here for the holiday season, as it would be a huge boon to sales, I'd think.

Ropes4u
May 2, 2009

krackmonkey posted:

I lucked out and found my OM-D body for $749 used with about 800 clicks on it, leaving me with the difference a kit would have cost me to put into the much superior 45/1.8.

I see Olympus is giving the 45 as a bonus to OM-D buyers across the pond, it astounds me that they aren't making a similar offer here for the holiday season, as it would be a huge boon to sales, I'd think.

I think I will buy the 12-50 and then add the 600ft flash 60mm macro and 45mm lens later.

Startyde
Apr 19, 2007

Ropes4u posted:

Eh, look for regret in a purchase and you'll find it every time.
The D is new enough that you'll get 95% of what you paid if you hate it and sell it before xmas. I wouldn't buy from a place without a good return policy, in any case.

Bouillon Rube
Aug 6, 2009

Ropes4u posted:

I think I will buy the 12-50 and then add the 600ft flash 60mm macro and 45mm lens later.

Uh that flash sounds kind of dangerous dude.

Ropes4u
May 2, 2009

Augmented Dickey posted:

Uh that flash sounds kind of dangerous dude.

Sh-t fl-600 flash!

Random Task
Mar 23, 2012
ASK ME ABOUT BEING A WORTHLESS GODDAMN DEADBEAT AND RUINING CHRISTMAS IN DORKROOM. NO SERIOUSLY, ASK ME, SO I CAN EXPLAIN MYSELF.
So it looks like the new Olympus 17mm f/1.8 has suddenly appeared out of nowhere and will show up in stores quite soon. I'm just itching to put in a pre-order, although I'm wondering if it'll really be worth the rumored $500. Latest 43rumors suggests it might be $700, but there's no way I'm shelling out that kind of money. I might sell off the 20mm/1.7 if this lens is good enough...

Turnquiet
Oct 24, 2002

My friend is an eloquent speaker.

Now that my wife's Galaxy S3 is taking better quality photos than our Panasonic DMC-TZ5 (seriously, that thing just cannot figure out CFL lighting), I am thinking of picking up a new P&S-style for Christmas. Amazon has the PEN E-PL1 for $269, and reviews indicate it is pretty good. I want something that is markedly better than any cellphone camera and my old P&S.

This will be used to shoot kids, family events, staged baby photos, things like that. Am I on the right track for quality photos for a pretty good value? I like the idea of it running in dummy mode but still allowing fine control if you wander the menu. I am no photographer, so I don't really feel the need to quick adjust those settings with dials on the body, so no worries there. I just need to take some shots to put in a photo album that wont look like rear end.

Ropes4u
May 2, 2009

Turnquiet posted:

Now that my wife's Galaxy S3 is taking better quality photos than our Panasonic DMC-TZ5 (seriously, that thing just cannot figure out CFL lighting), I am thinking of picking up a new P&S-style for Christmas. Amazon has the PEN E-PL1 for $269, and reviews indicate it is pretty good. I want something that is markedly better than any cellphone camera and my old P&S.

This will be used to shoot kids, family events, staged baby photos, things like that. Am I on the right track for quality photos for a pretty good value? I like the idea of it running in dummy mode but still allowing fine control if you wander the menu. I am no photographer, so I don't really feel the need to quick adjust those settings with dials on the body, so no worries there. I just need to take some shots to put in a photo album that wont look like rear end.

$199 at Cameta Camera

http://www.cameta.com/Olympus-PEN-E-PL1-Micro-4-3-Digital-Camera-14-42mm-Lens-Black-Black-Factory-Demo-52477.cfm

Turnquiet
Oct 24, 2002

My friend is an eloquent speaker.

Nice, but it is a refurb, and out of stock to boot.

Edit- Actually, I can get a new body plus a lense and a butt ton of accessories for a decent price at that place. Is Cameta well regarded?

Turnquiet fucked around with this message at 00:53 on Nov 12, 2012

Ropes4u
May 2, 2009

Turnquiet posted:

Nice, but it is a refurb, and out of stock to boot.

Edit- Actually, I can get a new body plus a lense and a butt ton of accessories for a decent price at that place. Is Cameta well regarded?

If a refurb. is acceptable call em. Cameta is well regarded and you can buy with confidence.

Random Task
Mar 23, 2012
ASK ME ABOUT BEING A WORTHLESS GODDAMN DEADBEAT AND RUINING CHRISTMAS IN DORKROOM. NO SERIOUSLY, ASK ME, SO I CAN EXPLAIN MYSELF.
Ugh, no. Please don't. The successors are better cameras with a better kit lens for a trivial amount of extra money:
http://www.cameta.com/Olympus-PEN-E-PL2-Micro-4-3-Digital-Camera-14-42mm-II-Lens-Silver-Factory-Demo-63980.cfm
http://www.cameta.com/Olympus-PEN-E-PL3-Micro-4-3-Digital-Camera-14-42mm-II-Lens-Black-Factory-Demo-65952.cfm

Radbot
Aug 12, 2009
Probation
Can't post for 3 years!
Is the NEX-5N currently the best bang-for-the-buck for someone looking for a sub $1K EVIL camera? Any odds on it dropping below $470 any time this year?

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

Maybe, but consider the Panasonic GX1, it's $460 now with the (good) 14-42 kit on amazon.

Doodarazumas
Oct 7, 2007

Radbot posted:

Is the NEX-5N currently the best bang-for-the-buck for someone looking for a sub $1K EVIL camera? Any odds on it dropping below $470 any time this year?

It's been on sale in various places for 420-440 about 3 times in the last month, if you're willing to check slickdeals frequently and wait a few weeks you should be able to grab one for around that.

getsuga
Dec 31, 2007

Radbot posted:

If you're going for bang for buck and are okay with manual focusing there's nothing better. It has better low light performance, better DOF control, and DR than every m43 (neck and neck with the OM-D but that's 1k). Focus peaking + Tap to zoom and the small native flange distance (basically every lens is compatible) make it arguably the best MF digital body on the market. Being able to buy quality 24mm f2.8, 50mm f1.4, and 85mm f1.8 prime lenses for less than $200 a pop is also pretty sweet, So basically what I'm saying is, if you're not doing sport photography or bird watching, the nex 5n for $470 is pretty amazing

RustedChrome
Jun 10, 2007

"do not hold the camera obliquely, or the world will seem to be on an inclined plane."
Sony is putting it to the DSLR users in Oz.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LApO_BDRE8M

Radbot
Aug 12, 2009
Probation
Can't post for 3 years!

spankmeister posted:

Maybe, but consider the Panasonic GX1, it's $460 now with the (good) 14-42 kit on amazon.

I'd be willing to go for it as I've have good luck with Panasonic stuff, but why choose the GX1 over the NEX-5?

Doodarazumas posted:

It's been on sale in various places for 420-440 about 3 times in the last month, if you're willing to check slickdeals frequently and wait a few weeks you should be able to grab one for around that.

I missed that ~$430 deal on eBay via buyDig a few weeks ago - I hope something similar comes back! I've already set up my deal alert on SlickDeals. I'm just worried that I'll run into a situation that sometimes happens with camera equipment - I'll wait long enough that it just becomes hard to find instead of cheaper.

getsuga posted:

If you're going for bang for buck and are okay with manual focusing there's nothing better. It has better low light performance, better DOF control, and DR than every m43 (neck and neck with the OM-D but that's 1k). Focus peaking + Tap to zoom and the small native flange distance (basically every lens is compatible) make it arguably the best MF digital body on the market. Being able to buy quality 24mm f2.8, 50mm f1.4, and 85mm f1.8 prime lenses for less than $200 a pop is also pretty sweet, So basically what I'm saying is, if you're not doing sport photography or bird watching, the nex 5n for $470 is pretty amazing

The low light, high ISO performance I've seen is almost freakishly good for such a small camera, the larger sensor offers a better crop ratio for my MD Minolta lenses, but like you said, the focus peaking is so cool. I tried it for the first time yesterday, and (although it's cliche) it seems nothing short of revolutionary for an MF lens shooter.

I think I'd still keep the kit lens around for when I'm feeling lazy (and considering I've not found the body significantly cheaper than the kit), but that focus peaking has me nearly-literally creaming my jeans. I've tried to get by on my Panasonic GF3 but the magnified-area Focus Assist just isn't cutting it for my tired eyes. And how fun is it to find old-rear end lenses, from CCTV to Vivitar Series 1?

Thanks a lot for the input, ladies and gents.

Shmoogy
Mar 21, 2007

RustedChrome posted:

Sony is putting it to the DSLR users in Oz.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LApO_BDRE8M

I admit that I laughed at the ad, but I've been seeing a trend in which companies are almost attacking people in their ads. I don't think that it's really a technique which is going to get people to switch to their product.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Empty Pockets
Jun 11, 2008

Radbot posted:

And how fun is it to find old-rear end lenses, from CCTV to Vivitar Series 1?

Just be careful with anything c mount (CCTV and old cinema lenses). They probably won't cover the sensor fully.