Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

dragoat
Mar 21, 2012

YOU STOP THAT
I noticed that The Flatliners weren't in the OP. This is probably because most of their albums aren't really ska, but Destroy to Create certainly is. I'd compare it to Choking Victim, although with considerably less metal influence.

The Flatliners - Bad News https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2pOUWwNuAo4

The Flatliners - Fred's Got Slacks https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dleB2PA1U-A

on the topic of Choking Victim-like bands, would anyone be able to suggest a few others? I quite like the fast, punk sound mixed with that good ol' ska strum pattern.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

Listen to everything from the Suicide Machines except for the two albums where they pretended they were a pop-punk band for no reason (this was temporary)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oKRBS9G3TIg
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MJ0C5wNR5jQ

The 7th Guest fucked around with this message at 07:45 on Nov 5, 2012

dragoat
Mar 21, 2012

YOU STOP THAT

Quest For Glory II posted:

Listen to everything from the Suicide Machines

Ha yeah I just got a bunch of their music, as well as Bomb the Music Industry! both of which I'm enjoying thoroughly. Ska has been one of those genres I absolutely love but didn't get exposure to many bands.

Guess that basically goes unsaid considering how... unpopular? it is, because I believe I've only ever met two other people who had even heard of ska.

Up until now I've really only listened to Streetlight, Op Ivy, Common Rider, Big D, Choking Victim and Leftover Crack. (plus some rudiments, mu330, etc)

Teemu Pokemon
Jun 19, 2004

To sign them is my real test

With full no movement clause
The Stupid Stupid Henchmen

e: Marx Revolution

e2: The Flaming Tsunamis

e3: Stuck Lucky and A Billion Ernies

It'd probably have been a good idea to make this list before posting instead of going down my itunes and adding bands as I go :kiddo:

e4: Tusker

:negative:

and I've only got one Tusker EP, but I'm adding them because this song owns bones

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_v0tZbjtY4o

Teemu Pokemon fucked around with this message at 08:23 on Nov 5, 2012

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

I'm really not a super huge expert on ska-punk. Capdown is a band that fits your criteria. I really love Wind Up Toys, although apparently hardcore Capdown fans hate it. But I dont care about those people so, I really love Wind Up Toys.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F9VLs7mYbWA

They have an awesome unique character to their sound on this CD, and when one song plays in shuffle I always have to then listen to the rest of the album. I fuckin love 'Truly Dead', 'Keeping Up Appearances', 'Community Service', and 'Terms & Conditions Apply'. If you want the really fast poo poo though, listen to the albums Act Your Rage and Pound for the Sound instead.

Those albums aren't really to my taste though, I dunno. I've never been a "the old stuff is the only good stuff" guy and usually find that when bands evolve it's usually the right call (Mad Caddies, Five Iron Frenzy, Cat Empire, Sonic Boom Six, RX Bandits).

Teemu Pokemon
Jun 19, 2004

I was going to add this into my stupid mega string post but I thought it deserved it's own one:

If you don't mind singers in different languages, definitely Talco.

Actually, gently caress that, I don't care if you like foreign bands, loving listen to Talco

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UwjprPmh5ks

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

Mazel Tov by Talco is real good. Oddly, I think Talco is the only legitimately good ska band on that Creative Commons site Jamendo. That's where I found them initially.

e: I've found other semi-obscure bands while looking for music licensing too. Searching Rumblefish led me to Tri-State Conspiracy, Subcity Dwellers, Something to Do, The Anchorage, Void Union, The Skinny, and Red Five Point Star, just to name a few.

The 7th Guest fucked around with this message at 05:58 on Nov 6, 2012

Monday_
Feb 18, 2006

Worked-up silent dork without sex ability seeks oblivion and demise.
The Great Twist
Does anyone else in the thread share my love for I Voted For Kodos's album My New Obsession? Wikipedia says it "effectively alienated them from their entire fanbase, quickly leading to the band's demise", but I've always considered it one of the best 3rd wave albums out there.

You're My Favorite is one of my favorite songs of all time.

guppy
Sep 21, 2004

sting like a byob

MondayHotDog posted:

Does anyone else in the thread share my love for I Voted For Kodos's album My New Obsession? Wikipedia says it "effectively alienated them from their entire fanbase, quickly leading to the band's demise", but I've always considered it one of the best 3rd wave albums out there.

I only ever really remember "Please Die In A Fire," which I enjoy in an angry, juvenile sort of way. Production-wise it's certainly less amateurish than Close Enough For Ska.

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

dnz posted:

I read some of the poo poo the song writer posted online around the time they released Who We Are, the impression I got was that everyone considered them an ASOB ripoff band because of Grow Up or Shut Up and he was pretty ashamed/embarassed about it.

What

They sounded nothing like ASOB!

Also re: Suicide Machines, seeing them last spring was one of the best shows I've ever been to. Just a hundred yelling assholes packed in a basement and they opened up with loving Islands and SOS and I broke my elbow during War Profiteering and goddammit that was so awesome.

Olibu
Feb 24, 2008

MondayHotDog posted:

It's been quite a few years, but I remember two separate occasions where I tried to listen to that album and couldn't even make it all the way through, and I do not remember any instance of ska in the album at all so I'm not sure it could be considered third wave.

Hobbit posted:

The Aggrolites got me into revivalist ska. I had never heard of them until I saw them open for the Dropkick Murphys a million years in the past.

You mean you're not a Yo Gabba Gabba watcher? (Yes I realize that this was probably after you found out about them.)

Hobbit
Dec 5, 2009

The Undisputed Despot
of The Atoll of Misfit Toys

Olibu posted:

You mean you're not a Yo Gabba Gabba watcher? (Yes I realize that this was probably after you found out about them.)

Yep, I can certainly say I have never watched that before, but you're right, that video was posted 3 years after I saw the Aggrolites.

What is it with ska bands showing up in children's shows? I know that both the Toasters and Dicky Barrett have done stuff with Nickelodeon. I'm half expecting Jeff Rosenstock to turn up in an episode of Spongebob one of these days.

lessthankyle
Dec 19, 2002

SKA SUCKS
Soiled Meat
YGG was created by the lead singer of The Aquabats, so he brings all his buddies in there.

no dad im not gay!
Jan 30, 2007

nach0king posted:

Rather you than me. I find Mike Park terrifying.

Really?! Are there stories out there? I'd hate to find out he's a jerk now. :( He always came across to me as a soft-spoken but very friendly and approachable person. Granted I've only met him a few times at solo and Asian Man Records-affiliated shows whenever I was in the bay area, or if he rolled through LA. Also, for the record I asked him all those questions via e-mail back in the late 90's.

guppy
Sep 21, 2004

sting like a byob
Someone on Turntable introduced me to Swedish ska band The Liptones and I am enjoying the poo poo out of them: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k4tMwrq3BsA

Olibu
Feb 24, 2008
I don't really keep up with band news lately, has there been any word on the results of Five Iron Frenzy's kickstarter (not an actual kickstarter page) for a new album?

Teemu Pokemon
Jun 19, 2004

Supposedly the album is being made now, release date sometime early next year (my guess is March-April) and then there's going to be a tour afterward.

Hobbit
Dec 5, 2009

The Undisputed Despot

guppy posted:

Someone on Turntable introduced me to Swedish ska band The Liptones and I am enjoying the poo poo out of them: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k4tMwrq3BsA

If I had heard that song without any background info I never would have suspected that band was Swedish. I am loving this band, especially the 3rd Wave tempos mixed with the 2-tone style lyrics.

Edit:
Anyone else besides me ever heard of Skip Town Matty? They were (I think they're defunct now) a pretty cool ska band local to central Pennsylvania. I rather miss having them around. The only time I got to see them was at a festival, and only four people there seemed to be into ska, so we formed a three man skank pit around the fourth guy who stood in the middle of the circle smoking.

Anyway, a song: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fS5LEcR8214
Simple, but entertaining.

Hobbit fucked around with this message at 04:19 on Nov 9, 2012

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

Hobbit posted:

If I had heard that song without any background info I never would have suspected that band was Swedish. I am loving this band, especially the 3rd Wave tempos mixed with the 2-tone style lyrics.

Edit:
Anyone else besides me ever heard of Skip Town Matty? They were (I think they're defunct now) a pretty cool ska band local to central Pennsylvania. I rather miss having them around. The only time I got to see them was at a festival, and only four people there seemed to be into ska, so we formed a three man skank pit around the fourth guy who stood in the middle of the circle smoking.

Anyway, a song: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fS5LEcR8214
Simple, but entertaining.

I saw them! I have their album! They were pretty alright.

Hobbit
Dec 5, 2009

The Undisputed Despot
I've been looking around for their first album but no one seems to be selling it anymore. Probably just end up emailing the band because Skip Town was really cool with it when I asked to use some of their music for a video, really nice guys. I know they recorded some more material after they lost the horn section but I'm not sure if it ever found its way to an album or release. Without the horn section the new songs weren't really doing it for me anyway though.

Sharon is Karen
Dec 29, 2008

dragoat posted:

on the topic of Choking Victim-like bands, would anyone be able to suggest a few others? I quite like the fast, punk sound mixed with that good ol' ska strum pattern.

Try Against All Authority. The first album is sloppy as gently caress, but fun. The next two "All Fall Down" and "24 Hour Roadside Resistance" are solid gold as far as I'm concerned. The last album was loving dumb as poo poo, though. Maybe 3 good tracks. Amazing live band on par with suicide machines and Less than Jake in terms of crowd energy and stage presence.

Dyvenix
Oct 18, 2012
The thread is pretty large, but I thought it time to drop The Homecoming Queens.

http://us.myspace.com/thehomecomingqueens

13.4 Miles from their album A Sound You Once Knew
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MlDoE_NoUPE

Fateo McMurray
Mar 22, 2003

The Amazing Royal Crowns are reuniting for night 3 of Throwdown this year. So if you like awesome music that you might not hear live again you should probably go to that one.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T6huIA7pRFs

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747
New York goons, BtMI is playing in Rochester on December 18th. Please come see them with me. I will not be dressed as a banana.

gangnam reference
Dec 26, 2010

shut up idiot shut up idiot shut up idiot shut up idiot

Dickeye posted:

New York goons, BtMI is playing in Rochester on December 18th. Please come see them with me. I will not be dressed as a banana.

I'm at school upstate, they play in Brooklyn. I go home for break and they come here. What gives, BTMI?

Fateo McMurray
Mar 22, 2003

The Dogmatics (!) night 1 and Big D night 2 added for Throwdown. This year is gonna be rad as gently caress.

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

A new Less Than Jake album just appeared on Spotify, 'Greetings and Salutations'. It appears to be combining the two small print EPs they've done since GNV FLA. I've only managed to hear part of one of the two so most of the album will be new to me.

quote:

Track listing

1. "The New Auld Lang Syne"
2. "Younger Lungs"
3. "Goodbye, Mr. Personality"
4. "A Return to Headphones"
5. "Harvey Wallbanger"
6. "Flag Holders Union"
7. "I Can't Yell Any Louder"
8. "View from the Middle"
9. "Oldest Trick in the Book"
10. "Done and Dusted"
11. "Finer Points of Forgiveness"
12. "Life Led Out Loud"

I Can't Yell Any Louder is still a cool rear end song!!

Fateo McMurray
Mar 22, 2003

That whole album is awesome. Harvey Wallbanger is my favorite.

guppy
Sep 21, 2004

sting like a byob
It's on Amazon as well, and I assume iTunes too. As someone who hates EPs, thanks for the heads up.

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

Quest For Glory II posted:

A new Less Than Jake album just appeared on Spotify, 'Greetings and Salutations'. It appears to be combining the two small print EPs they've done since GNV FLA.

That's exactly what it is, they announced it a couple months ago.

Teemu Pokemon
Jun 19, 2004

http://quoteunquoterecords.com/punk.mp3

eat your heart out tomas

Tennis Ball
Jan 29, 2009

Where are the fast breaks from? What is this? I like the fast parts. (Don't tell anyone I like bad music please)

Hobbit
Dec 5, 2009

The Undisputed Despot
I'm not exactly sure what I just listened to, but I want more.

nach0king
Jan 11, 2007

GET BACK TO WORK!!!

Dickeye posted:

That's exactly what it is, they announced it a couple months ago.

Yep, but there are two new songs, too. Flagholder's Union and View from the Middle are brand new tracks.

FateoMcSkippy posted:

That whole album is awesome. Harvey Wallbanger is my favorite.

It really is an awesome album. I love Goodbye Mr. Personality, too. Really simple song just brilliantly executed.

Hobbit posted:

I'm not exactly sure what I just listened to, but I want more.

Haha! Agreed, this is awesome. Even better than Streetlight Manifesto's cover of the same song. (For Tennis Ball's reference this is Bomb The Music Industry!'s cover of Punk Rock Girl, a song from the 80s by The Dead Milkmen).

I've been on the fence about whether or not to go see BTMI! when they tour here in December but I think this has sealed it.

nach0king fucked around with this message at 22:15 on Nov 26, 2012

Hobbit
Dec 5, 2009

The Undisputed Despot
I knew what song was being covered I just didn't know who was doing the cover. I guess Quote Unquote Records should have been a dead give away, but I didn't notice until now. I just kept thinking that Jeff Rosenstock can't be behind everything recorded today, except as it turns out, he is.

hito
Feb 13, 2012

Thank you, kids. By giving us this lift you're giving a lift to every law-abiding citizen in the world.
I guess I'm just lame and boring because I just want the whole song done like the beginning was without the screaming parts.

Hobbit
Dec 5, 2009

The Undisputed Despot
I want the screaming but only with the 8-bit as accompaniment.

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747
That is the most BtMI song ever recorded.

Dodecalypse
Jun 21, 2012

SKA SUCKS
That was amazing :allears:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fateo McMurray
Mar 22, 2003

Dickeye posted:

That is the most BtMI song ever recorded.

And that's saying something holy poo poo. I turned it off as soon as the screaming started. He just needs to stop making "music" already.