Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

seorin
May 23, 2005

2 Sun's Dusk (Day 78)
Of the Seven Visions of Seven Trials of the Incarnate, I have now fulfilled the Fifth Trial.
I think there are two reasons I can't bring myself to ever back an MMO kickstarter. First, they're easily the most likely gaming kickstarter to fail even after funding. Second, they're the only kickstarter where you actually won't get the game at the end. I've seen them offering beta access and a certain length of subscription time, but that just doesn't grab me the same way as getting a copy of a normal game, even though I play and enjoy MMOs.

I also really question the long term success of their game if they're relying on a subscription model in 2012 (let alone whatever year they think they'll be ready to release).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

King Burgundy
Sep 17, 2003

I am the Burgundy King,
I can do anything!

Illessa posted:

Seems to be a lot of stuff in the Interesting-But-Doomed category at the moment

MaK - http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1125462381/mak - Mario Galaxy meets Little Big Planet?

Wow, this looks so pretty. The breakdancing robot video totally sold me. It is a shame it looks like it probably won't make it.

Smarmy Coworker
May 10, 2008

by XyloJW

Illessa posted:

Sui Generis - http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1473965863/sui-generis - physics-centric open world fantasy RPG, kind of thing I'm generally very sceptical of, but the video made me sit up and take notice, especially the possibilities of the combat.

Looks silly as poo poo but the tech and the ideas for it are great. I would love to see this funded.

Cicero
Dec 17, 2003

Jumpjet, melta, jumpjet. Repeat for ten minutes or until victory is assured.
Nice, but really the hardware sounds like it's the easier part of this project. I'm much more worried about the software layer. Making a new digital storefront and game distribution/management platform is hard, and around the time the kickstarter started I believe they hadn't even begun on it.

Fergus Mac Roich
Nov 5, 2008

Soiled Meat
I feel like I'm not as down on the Ouya as most people. I have no doubt that they'll miss their Spring release because man that is a tight schedule to keep but I can see it being a real thing and kind of cool.

Megazver
Jan 13, 2006

TychoCelchuuu posted:

It would be more compelling if the people didn't run like robots and fight like drunken four year olds. Dynamic animation is hard as gently caress and I'm sure given time and money they could iron this stuff out, so it's unfortunate that they don't have the support they need to make it look super polished before asking for money from backers, but when your characters keep their torsos almost entirely rigid while running and when the majority of the weapon swing is done by the arm without the rest of the body really participating, you enter a sort of animation uncanny valley where it looks much worse than Diablo style "everyone just wails on each other."

I think more important problem is that they simply don't have a half-way decent writer on their team. The story description is nothing but a pile-up of generic salespeak that could be applied to any game ever.

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

You try to be happy when everyone is summoning you everywhere to "be their friend".

Fergus Mac Roich posted:

I feel like I'm not as down on the Ouya as most people. I have no doubt that they'll miss their Spring release because man that is a tight schedule to keep but I can see it being a real thing and kind of cool.

Ditto. I mean, sure, it may turn out to be a dud, but I'd like to hope it won't. Silly naive optimism, I guess.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Cicero posted:

Nice, but really the hardware sounds like it's the easier part of this project. I'm much more worried about the software layer. Making a new digital storefront and game distribution/management platform is hard, and around the time the kickstarter started I believe they hadn't even begun on it.

Is it possible they might hook into Google Play for the hard stuff of the buying/distributing itself, and have selecting a game for purchase basically just launch the Play purchase page? I don't believe it'd be unknown or against the Play rights of use, and I think Google'll let you restrict apps to one device.

Sigma-X
Jun 17, 2005

Fergus Mac Roich posted:

I lump it into the same horseshit bracket that the 900 back ordered-forever Linux handhelds live in- there will technically be a product at the end but it's a lovely idea run poorly.

XboxPants
Jan 30, 2006

Steven doesn't want me watching him sleep anymore.

MikeJF posted:

Is it possible they might hook into Google Play for the hard stuff of the buying/distributing itself, and have selecting a game for purchase basically just launch the Play purchase page? I don't believe it'd be unknown or against the Play rights of use, and I think Google'll let you restrict apps to one device.

Well, if they did that, they wouldn't be able to take a cut off the profits on purchases unless it was an ADDITIONAL 30% on top of the existing Google play fee. Which, I mean, I guess that's "possible".

Doesn't look like the direction they're going, though.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

I'm grumpy that - well, let's be honest, my S3 is probably more powerful than the OUYA will be, and it can HDMI out to the TV, and have bluetooth controllers - I feel irritated buying another android device when there's no massive technical reason I should have to. (Except for all the massive reasons that there are.)

I kinda just wish there was a console dock I could drop this or other high-end phone into and have it turn into a console. But that'd require coordination and also probably phone makers not having stupid software customization.

MadJackMcJack
Jun 10, 2009

seorin posted:

I think there are two reasons I can't bring myself to ever back an MMO kickstarter. First, they're easily the most likely gaming kickstarter to fail even after funding. Second, they're the only kickstarter where you actually won't get the game at the end. I've seen them offering beta access and a certain length of subscription time, but that just doesn't grab me the same way as getting a copy of a normal game, even though I play and enjoy MMOs.

I also really question the long term success of their game if they're relying on a subscription model in 2012 (let alone whatever year they think they'll be ready to release).

They seem to be going for a Guild Wars 2-style scheme where it's F2P with cosmetic microtransactions, which is smart because after the failure of Old Republic it's pretty obvious that subscriptions are a no-go these days.

I agree that an MMO Kickstarter is a risky proposition, but the fact that they have a working alpha already is encouraging. Ah well, I knew the risks when I signed up.

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

Until I see a low budget MMO actually be fun to play with a decent population, I'm going to be too skeptical to support one on kickstarter. Every single indie/low budget MMO I've seen or played has been just terrible.

One Eye Open
Sep 19, 2006
Am I awake?
Dominique Pamplemousse dev, Deirdra Kiai, has been interviewed for a podcast, and talks about her Indiegogo campaign and Kickstarter: http://radio.indiegamemag.com/2012/11/01/voices-of-the-devs-deirdra-kiai/

It seems she wrote the engine she uses too!

Al!
Apr 2, 2010

:coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot:

Haha, PCBs are the heart and the soul of the Ouya experience? Not, I dunno games or anything? Still, pretty surprised they've even got this far already but it's probably too early for their complete meltdown.

hemale in pain
Jun 5, 2010

Dr. Video Games 0031 posted:

Until I see a low budget MMO actually be fun to play with a decent population, I'm going to be too skeptical to support one on kickstarter. Every single indie/low budget MMO I've seen or played has been just terrible.

The big problem I see is that fully funded big dev teams can't even put out a half decent product which can keep my interest for more than a month. MMO and indie doesn't mix, I'm not even sure the MMO formula even works with anything outside of what Planetside 2 is doing.

coffeetable
Feb 5, 2006

TELL ME AGAIN HOW GREAT BRITAIN WOULD BE IF IT WAS RULED BY THE MERCILESS JACKBOOT OF PRINCE CHARLES

YES I DO TALK TO PLANTS ACTUALLY

Sigma-X posted:

I lump it into the same horseshit bracket that the 900 back ordered-forever Linux handhelds live in- there will technically be a product at the end but it's a lovely idea run poorly.

This. Hardware is hard, and unless the OUYA team are all secret veterans of embedded system design, they're pretty much destined to fail. It'll either never ship, miss many of its specs, or have a price point way beyond what was promised.

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

:hmmorks: :orks:

Hm, what happened to the OUYA thread? Anyway, I don't have much of an opinion about the OUYA other than I pledged for it earlier on and then quickly canceled said pledge, but I'd like to chim that, yes, hardware is hard, which is why it's surprising they got a PCB ready on such short notice. It doesn't excuse any of the bullshit surrounding the project, but it's certainly a step towards an actual product.

The Gripper
Sep 14, 2004
i am winner

Al! posted:

Haha, PCBs are the heart and the soul of the Ouya experience? Not, I dunno games or anything? Still, pretty surprised they've even got this far already but it's probably too early for their complete meltdown.
It does sound a bit (very) silly, considering their goals.

coffeetable posted:

This. Hardware is hard, and unless the OUYA team are all secret veterans of embedded system design, they're pretty much destined to fail. It'll either never ship, miss many of its specs, or have a price point way beyond what was promised.
Veterans, or just shuffling around existing designs (which it looks like they've done).

I'm not really sure what OUYA is going to bring to the table that other boards can't do already, other than packaging it specifically for games (and bringing in developers because of that). You could take the Odroid-X board and package it in a console and it'd probably do the job as-is, currently.

I don't know how they're going to keep the price down, Odroid-X is a bare board @ $129 with a quad-core (not unreasonable), add game system development costs as well as packaging to that and it's going to shoot that right up.

Shalinor
Jun 10, 2002

Can I buy you a rootbeer?

Saoshyant posted:

Hm, what happened to the OUYA thread? Anyway, I don't have much of an opinion about the OUYA other than I pledged for it earlier on and then quickly canceled said pledge, but I'd like to chim that, yes, hardware is hard, which is why it's surprising they got a PCB ready on such short notice. It doesn't excuse any of the bullshit surrounding the project, but it's certainly a step towards an actual product.
It got taken down until there was actual news. Now that there is, Xbox Pants was going to make a new one, I believe.

EDIT:

Awesome, Sir, You Are Being Hunted has a kickstarter now. It's a cool looking survival/exploration shooter. Think S.T.A.L.K.E.R, but in a procedural English countryside, in a Steampunk world.

Shalinor fucked around with this message at 15:26 on Nov 5, 2012

Illessa
Aug 31, 2012

King Burgundy posted:

Wow, this looks so pretty. The breakdancing robot video totally sold me. It is a shame it looks like it probably won't make it.

I know, of all the struggling Kickstarters I've supported this is maybe the one that makes me saddest. Combining that Minecraft/Little Big Planet/Gary's Mod creativity with relative gravity, a neat aesthetic and a plot, just seems perfect to me. The devs are still maintaining a very upbeat attitude in the comments at least.

ARACHNOTRON posted:

Looks silly as poo poo but the tech and the ideas for it are great. I would love to see this funded.

Yep, animation is really janky and the plot update is awful (which should make it a write-off for me), but when I watch the way the skeleton skitters across the floor from the spell, or the visible weight and momentum of the giant's flail in the fight at the end, I can see where they're coming from about the combat getting very visceral, and I want to see that in an actual game.

Saoshyant posted:

Anyway, I don't have much of an opinion about the OUYA other than I pledged for it earlier on and then quickly canceled said pledge

I was faintly surprised when Ouya was running that it didn't have a negative pledges day. Almost everyone I follow on Kickstarter pledged to it in the initial rush. All but one of them backed out by the end. But yeah the PCB is a pretty good sign that they're on track to produce *something*. Like all these impulse buy gaming devices, it doesn't mean what comes out at the end will be worth owning, but I'm happy to watch from the sidelines.

Yodzilla
Apr 29, 2005

Now who looks even dumber?

Beef Witch

TychoCelchuuu posted:

It would be more compelling if the people didn't run like robots and fight like drunken four year olds. Dynamic animation is hard as gently caress and I'm sure given time and money they could iron this stuff out, so it's unfortunate that they don't have the support they need to make it look super polished before asking for money from backers, but when your characters keep their torsos almost entirely rigid while running and when the majority of the weapon swing is done by the arm without the rest of the body really participating, you enter a sort of animation uncanny valley where it looks much worse than Diablo style "everyone just wails on each other."

Yeah the tech they're showing looks nice (save for the weird walking/running animation) but I have no idea if what they're building will end up as an actual compelling game. As far as I can tell there's not a whole lot of that side done.

Shalinor posted:

Awesome, Sir, You Are Being Hunted has a kickstarter now. It's a cool looking survival/exploration shooter. Think S.T.A.L.K.E.R, but in a procedural English countryside, in a Steampunk world.

Uh excuse me sir it specifically states right there on the page that this game is tweedpunk, not steampunk. Sounds like a neat idea for a game though.

Yodzilla fucked around with this message at 15:46 on Nov 5, 2012

Bieeanshee
Aug 21, 2000

Not keen on keening.

Grimey Drawer
Screw it, I just pulled my pledge from Hero-U. Judging from the tone and content of their frequent updates, the Coles went out to lunch sometime during the Nineties and haven't been back since.

Shalinor
Jun 10, 2002

Can I buy you a rootbeer?

Bieeardo posted:

Screw it, I just pulled my pledge from Hero-U. Judging from the tone and content of their frequent updates, the Coles went out to lunch sometime during the Nineties and haven't been back since.

Hero-U's Latest Update posted:

:words:

And there is a big issue with the “Simulated World” concept. While a good Pen & Paper RPG Game Master will have no problem to satisfy all your desires and turn them into an adventure with some twists and climaxes without you knowing it, a computer just CAN’T. Elder Scrolls games can be great fun, but only if you accept the fact that almost EVERY problems are solved through combat tactics. The world is simulated through the perspective of a fighter.

This explains why I’m interested in the Hero-U project - because while simulating a world like a Pen & Paper RPG Game Master does is impossible with a computer program (even with the multi-millions dollar budgets Bethesda Softworks grant for their games), mixing mechanics from Adventure Games and Computer RPGs would still be a GREAT experience, especially if you try to do more than “just” including stats and combats to a classic Adventure Game (which is a good start but sill a Adventure Game, not an RPG).

To me, the best Computer RPG someone could possibly program would be one that replaces the problems (really fun to solve in P&P RPGs but impossible to be told properly by an artificial intelligence, other than finding the best solution to slay everything that stands in your way) with the puzzles of an Adventure Game, assuming that those puzzles would have 3 or 4 different solutions, and that ALL those different solutions would reach the quality of a good movie in terms of storytelling.

:words:

... yeah, they basically just lost me. Impossible? Have they even played an RPG in the last 10 years? Hell, did they play any RPGs that were contemporaries of Hero's Quest even? Ultima 7 was approaching that style of system back in the 90's, for pete's sake. Have they never seen a Spiderweb Software game, which are done at a budget level miniscule compared to what Hero-U is asking - Avernum, etc?

This reads like someone who hasn't played games this millenia, and honestly thinks that Bethesda's approach is just "what all those kids think RPGs are these days" or something. I don't think they even get that there's a difference between RPGs and ARPGs.

Shalinor fucked around with this message at 17:37 on Nov 5, 2012

DStecks
Feb 6, 2012

Holy poo poo, that's an official PR post? That would be a stupid thing to post on a forum, let alone say in your official capacity as a game creator. Not only are they saying "gently caress it, we can't do it, it's impossible", they're wrong about that.

I haven't been following Hero-U at all, but that kind of discussion seems indicative of a game in pre-preproduction, it screams "We have no idea what we're doing but guys you know what would be fuckin' awesome?", like some highschooler telling you his idea for the best game ever.

Megazver
Jan 13, 2006
What's wrong with "you can't make the computer be the DM?"

MadJackMcJack
Jun 10, 2009
TBH, I never saw the appeal of that Hero-U game considering the pitch video was a bunch of caricatures of people I've never heard of and what looked like my mad Aunt and Uncle back from their latest trip to Darkest Africa with stories about "those wacky natives". Plus Project Eternity aside (because it's loving Obsidian) I don't like committing to a Kickstarter without at least a working prototype.

DStecks
Feb 6, 2012

Megazver posted:

What's wrong with "you can't make the computer be the DM?"

Left 4 Dead would like a word with you.

Megazver
Jan 13, 2006

DStecks posted:

Left 4 Dead would like a word with you.

A bit of randomization and stat tracking in an action game does not a DM make.

Great Joe
Aug 13, 2008

A slight adjustment, then: "You can't make the computer the DM for more than combat"

seorin
May 23, 2005

2 Sun's Dusk (Day 78)
Of the Seven Visions of Seven Trials of the Incarnate, I have now fulfilled the Fifth Trial.
I don't think anyone has linked this yet: Rainfall: The Sojourn.

It's a 2D action RPG with great looking pixel art, character designs that aren't blatantly offensive, and it even looks like they're putting some effort into the writing. What they have so far looks very professional. I'm really impressed.

DStecks
Feb 6, 2012

Megazver posted:

A bit of randomization and stat tracking in an action game does not a DM make.

It's a start. Wolfenstein 3D didn't have 90% of the features that are an integral part of modern shooters. NES game AI was mostly limited to "Walk left/Walk right", but now we can make AIs that can't be beaten at chess. You could make a DM AI. Eventually.

Megazver
Jan 13, 2006

YourAverageJoe posted:

A slight adjustment, then: "You can't make the computer the DM for more than combat"

So, basically, what the Hero-U post said?

DStecks posted:

It's a start. Wolfenstein 3D didn't have 90% of the features that are an integral part of modern shooters. NES game AI was mostly limited to "Walk left/Walk right", but now we can make AIs that can't be beaten at chess. You could make a DM AI. Eventually.

A DM AI would need to create characters and plot and write dialogue on fly. It's not going to happen until we get real AI.

DStecks
Feb 6, 2012

Megazver posted:

So, basically, what the Hero-U post said?

A DM AI would need to create characters and write dialogue on fly. It's not going to happen until we get real AI.

You're talking about a perfect DM AI, I'm just talking about something good enough to work. Characters can be procedurally generated, and dialogue could be mostly canned but with a thesaurus or something. It doesn't all need to be from scratch, just enough to fool the player. I don't mean to suggest this would be easy, but it's quite possible.

Megazver
Jan 13, 2006

seorin posted:

It's a 2D action RPG with great looking pixel art, character designs that aren't blatantly offensive, and it even looks like they're putting some effort into the writing. What they have so far looks very professional. I'm really impressed.

This seems really good, if you're into JRPGs. I'm not, but I wish them well. I think they're going to get their 6k soon.

Orzo
Sep 3, 2004

IT! IT is confusing! Say your goddamn pronouns!
Wow, they really nailed the SNES look. I'm not into JRPGs either but their art is spot-on and 6k isn't asking very much.

Wendell
May 11, 2003

DStecks posted:

You're talking about a perfect DM AI, I'm just talking about something good enough to work. Characters can be procedurally generated, and dialogue could be mostly canned but with a thesaurus or something. It doesn't all need to be from scratch, just enough to fool the player. I don't mean to suggest this would be easy, but it's quite possible.

Well that's just picking nits, and it's certainly no reason to be all "Ugh!! They don't know what they're talking about and the game they're making will probably suck!!!"

Megazver
Jan 13, 2006

DStecks posted:

You're talking about a perfect DM AI, I'm just talking about something good enough to work. Characters can be procedurally generated, and dialogue could be mostly canned but with a thesaurus or something.

Except that's just not going to work. You go through the canned dialogue (the only good thing about this system, since it was written by humans) once, then it's just the same poo poo over and over. Here, this is what Chris Crawford ended up with after twenty years of pursuing this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yXhH9EviQV8

Fascinating, isn't it? I can't wait for it to replace Chris Avellone's dialogue and character work! Years and years of content, instead of a few weeks!

Dr. Quarex
Apr 18, 2003

I'M A BIG DORK WHO POSTS TOO MUCH ABOUT CONVENTIONS LOOK AT THIS

TOVA TOVA TOVA
Yeah, there is plenty to find worrying about Hero-U, but their entirely reasonable points that computer games have still not begun to approach the infinite variability that a human Dungeon Master could bring to a game in the 1970s is entirely accurate. I have no idea how this is a controversial statement. A computer game as we currently conceptualize it cannot completely change the game based on the capricious decisions of the player, whereas a tabletop role-playing campaign could change its entire rule-system half-way through if the players decided they did not like the current one.

It would be like the dream of playing Grand Theft Auto and being able to enter one neighborhood and play Thief instead, or to hop in an airplane and fly off to World War II Britain. It is theoretically conceivable that a game can get to the point that it can be anything you want it to be, but saying we are not there yet is entirely true.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fergus Mac Roich
Nov 5, 2008

Soiled Meat

seorin posted:

Wow, I love the look of this game. I won't be backing as I'm not sure if it's my thing, though.