Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Miijhal
Jul 10, 2011

I am so tired... I am so tired all the time...

iastudent posted:

The Pier Solar guys just announced a kickstarter for a HD version.

Okay, those HD screenshots/mockups are kind of hideous looking. There's like three different resolutions going on there.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wendell
May 11, 2003

I see no reason for them to make it "HD" anyway. People would just as happily pay for the current version if they released that on PC at a price comparable to Zeboyd's games.

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

Miijhal posted:

Okay, those HD screenshots/mockups are kind of hideous looking. There's like three different resolutions going on there.
God drat, the one with the guy by the bed is nasty.

... oh god all of the full shots look horrible. Low-rez pixely dudes standing on high-res painted-looking backgrounds. Maybe they haven't gotten all the HD assets done yet? But if so why would they make mockups like THESE? :barf:

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

Weren't people excited because their gimmick was that they released it only as a Genesis game?

casual poster
Jun 29, 2009

So casual.

THE AWESOME GHOST posted:

Weren't people excited because their gimmick was that they released it only as a Genesis game?

I remember hearing, at least when this thread talked about it, that most people hated it because of this exact reason. It's a horrible idea from a business perspective, they're limiting themselves to gamers who still have a working genesis laying around.

In recent news, I accidently picked up Gungnir thinking it was a different game (no internet until recently because of the hurricane), rpgamer gave it a decent score, anyone else like it? I'm probably going to play it anyway, it's just not at the top of my list. I've never played anything in this series before.

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

I think it's a novel idea, but it's complete nonsense that they aren't making it playable in any other way (except for emulation, I guess?).

It's pretty much the ultimate insult that the game itself isn't actually very good, though.

Levantine
Feb 14, 2005

GUNDAM!!!
Somebody seems to think it's a good idea, the kickstarter is up to 44000 in like 2 days. I might donate just because a digital version is exactly what I wanted from these guys in the first place and 15 bucks doesn't seem like that much.

Admiral H. Curtiss
May 11, 2010

I think there are a bunch of people who can create trailing images. I know some who could do this as if they were just going out for a stroll.

Zereth posted:

... oh god all of the full shots look horrible. Low-rez pixely dudes standing on high-res painted-looking backgrounds. Maybe they haven't gotten all the HD assets done yet? But if so why would they make mockups like THESE? :barf:

They apparently seem to think it's a good idea, read the blurb under Art Direction on the Kickstarter:

quote:

When we first sat down to conceptualize Pier Solar HD, one of our initial goals was to adapt the new HD art direction with our preexisting 16-bit gameplay. We did this by merging the rich charm of retro sprites with crisp HD backgrounds. The sharp blend of each art style unites to provide an enchanting, aesthetic atmosphere never before seen. Sure, other developers have made "modernized" retro, pixel based games - but as far as we know, never before has a game been developed entirely with a mixture of both art styles, from beginning to end. This is one of the most exciting aspects of Pier Solar HD and we think it is going to send every player straight to retro heaven.

It looks terrible if you ask me.

flyboi
Oct 13, 2005

agg stop posting
College Slice
After having played it almost all the way through and losing my save near the end I can honestly say the game is not worth any money. The story is cliche to the likes of Zybourne Clock and the mechanics are heavily stacked against the player to the point of being infuriating.

There's places where to progress in puzzles you have to walk behind columns to tiles that you cannot see. After being pissed for long enough I just gamefaqs the thing because it was such a horribly laid out game.

Levantine
Feb 14, 2005

GUNDAM!!!
That's disappointing. Maybe I'll check it out if I have some free points left over in 2014 or something.

Back on the topic of Shining Force 3, I'm totally digging the prospect of playing the entire series. I had one hard crash in Scenario 1 on entering Flagard, but switching to the original disc seemed to fix that. I'm sure there are more crashes going forward but if making a hard save and swapping is an option it seems like a small thing.

Other than loading Julian up with stat items for Scenario 2, is there anything else I should be aware of that can help me out later? Also, what level should I promote Julian? I got him to 14 in Scenario 1 (easier than I thought) and sent him on with a Brave Apple and a few other stat items. Should I try to get him to 20?

Rascyc
Jan 23, 2008

Dissatisfied Puppy

Levantine posted:

That's disappointing. Maybe I'll check it out if I have some free points left over in 2014 or something.

Back on the topic of Shining Force 3, I'm totally digging the prospect of playing the entire series. I had one hard crash in Scenario 1 on entering Flagard, but switching to the original disc seemed to fix that. I'm sure there are more crashes going forward but if making a hard save and swapping is an option it seems like a small thing.

Other than loading Julian up with stat items for Scenario 2, is there anything else I should be aware of that can help me out later? Also, what level should I promote Julian? I got him to 14 in Scenario 1 (easier than I thought) and sent him on with a Brave Apple and a few other stat items. Should I try to get him to 20?
Are you using SSF to play this or did you dig out a chipped sega saturn?

The idea of replaying SF in fanglish again is enticing.

Levantine
Feb 14, 2005

GUNDAM!!!

Rascyc posted:

SSF (my Saturn died :( ), whatever the current version it is. Runs really well on my PC too aside from some strange black textures in battle scenes when you're on a different terrain than the enemy. And a weird sound issue with one specific instrument that sounds a bit flat in some areas but other than that, it's great!

Wendell
May 11, 2003

Hakkesshu posted:

I think it's a novel idea, but it's complete nonsense that they aren't making it playable in any other way (except for emulation, I guess?).

It's pretty much the ultimate insult that the game itself isn't actually very good, though.

Naw, it doesn't work in any emulators.

flyboi
Oct 13, 2005

agg stop posting
College Slice

Rascyc posted:

You don't really need a chip to play Saturn "backups."

Just open it up and tape the drive open portion so it's always closed and you can do a disc swap with a retail game.

MockingQuantum
Jan 20, 2012

Levantine posted:

Somebody seems to think it's a good idea, the kickstarter is up to 44000 in like 2 days. I might donate just because a digital version is exactly what I wanted from these guys in the first place and 15 bucks doesn't seem like that much.

Unfortunately if my personal friends that are gamers are any indication, a LOT of people will shell out money for anything that isn't a 3D action-RPG Fable or DA clone, so pretty much anything pixelated and nostalgic will get money thrown at it. Even more unfortunately, I'm kind of one of those people and still tempted to back the project, even with all the terrible things I've heard about it.

Rascyc
Jan 23, 2008

Dissatisfied Puppy
Anyone trying Ragnarok Tactics? I think it comes out today on PSP PSN (but not Vita I imagine).

Unfortunately there's literally nothing on youtube about it except some dinky 50 minute trailer.

Troffen
Aug 17, 2010

http://blog.us.playstation.com/2012...able-on-ps-vita

I guess Sony finally realized making their new games actually playable on their new poo poo is a good idea! (I'd like too see some goon words on it too)

Rascyc
Jan 23, 2008

Dissatisfied Puppy
Man that launch trailer is awful. Looks like something only Ragnarok fans would like.

iastudent
Apr 22, 2008

I didn't see any mention of it in MMO HMO, but Sony started the closed beta of Wizardry Online last week and I got invited in just today. I'm sure there's not a whole lot that can be openly discussed about it for now but I was just curious if anyone else signed up or got accepted.

Levantine
Feb 14, 2005

GUNDAM!!!

Rascyc posted:

Man that launch trailer is awful. Looks like something only Ragnarok fans would like.

I dunno, it kind of has that Jeanne de Arc style going for it and it's kind of pretty. I'd be willing to give it a shot based on that trailer. Then again, it is an Aksys game...

Gwyrgyn Blood
Dec 17, 2002

Levantine posted:

I dunno, it kind of has that Jeanne de Arc style going for it and it's kind of pretty. I'd be willing to give it a shot based on that trailer. Then again, it is an Aksys game...

Aksys is not a developer. It was made by some combination of GungHo Online Entertainment, Apollosoft, and Chime. None of whom I know anything about myself. :I

Levantine
Feb 14, 2005

GUNDAM!!!

Gwyrgyn Blood posted:

Aksys is not a developer. It was made by some combination of GungHo Online Entertainment, Apollosoft, and Chime. None of whom I know anything about myself. :I

That makes sense; I just see Aksys and I see grind. I'll wait to see some impressions before dropping 30 bucks on it.

On the topic of Shining Force 3 - I'm nearing the end of Scenario 1 and I have a couple of questions. First, what are the Cut Flowers for? I never did figure that one out. Two, do any characters make the transition between scenarios (other than Julian)? I want to load them out with items if I can. And three, which is the best weapon for Synbios at the end? The Phoenix Sword seems to have some great resists but the Justice Sword seems more powerful.

Gwyrgyn Blood
Dec 17, 2002

I think you can give it to a random minor NPC somewhere near the end of Episode 1 for a small bit of extra dialog? That's all I remember anyway. In Episode 2 you need one to get a ruins map.

And yes, every character will be back in Scenario 3.

Paperhouse
Dec 31, 2008

I think
your hair
looks much
better
pushed
over to
one side
If I like playing Playstation 1 era jRPGs is Shining Force 3 a good game to check out? I've played pretty much every good RPG for the Playstation, and never played a Saturn in my life

Levantine
Feb 14, 2005

GUNDAM!!!

Paperhouse posted:

If I like playing Playstation 1 era jRPGs is Shining Force 3 a good game to check out? I've played pretty much every good RPG for the Playstation, and never played a Saturn in my life

It's an excellent game. It's the same company that went on to do Golden Sun/Beyond the Beyond (which I like so YMMV) so if you've played those you'll be familiar with how they do weapon crafting and class promotion. It's a tactical RPG and still holds up well today.

Wendell
May 11, 2003

Levantine posted:

It's an excellent game. It's the same company that went on to do Golden Sun/Beyond the Beyond (which I like so YMMV) so if you've played those you'll be familiar with how they do weapon crafting and class promotion. It's a tactical RPG and still holds up well today.

Hahaha, wow. Okay, ignore this slander! It's a good game, and if you've played the previous games in the series (or Fire Emblem) you know what you're getting into. Traditional RPG town exploration, with fun tactical battles. Death is not permanent.

I can't believe I just saw someone use Beyond the Beyond as a selling point.

Levantine
Feb 14, 2005

GUNDAM!!!

Wendell posted:

Hahaha, wow. Okay, ignore this slander! It's a good game, and if you've played the previous games in the series (or Fire Emblem) you know what you're getting into. Traditional RPG town exploration, with fun tactical battles. Death is not permanent.

I can't believe I just saw someone use Beyond the Beyond as a selling point.

No no, I like Beyond the Beyond; I was only using it as a comparison for game systems, not as a selling point. I get why people don't like it, I really do. I just don't feel the same way.

Levantine
Feb 14, 2005

GUNDAM!!!
Ok, back to Shining Force 3: the translation is actually really good for the rough state it's in. The dialog is a bit stuffy but overall really good. A couple of crashes that can be resolved by hard-saving and using an unpatched disc don't really get in the way of enjoyment. And holy hell I had forgotten how much better Scenario 2 looks than the first. Things have textures! It's such a stark improvement that it was a bit shocking.

Question about stat gains though for anyone who has played (or remembered): it feels like the gains are a bit different the second. Should I wait past 10 to promote? I feel like my army is a bit lower powered then Synbios at the same point.

Rascyc
Jan 23, 2008

Dissatisfied Puppy

Levantine posted:

Ok, back to Shining Force 3: the translation is actually really good for the rough state it's in. The dialog is a bit stuffy but overall really good. A couple of crashes that can be resolved by hard-saving and using an unpatched disc don't really get in the way of enjoyment. And holy hell I had forgotten how much better Scenario 2 looks than the first. Things have textures! It's such a stark improvement that it was a bit shocking.

Question about stat gains though for anyone who has played (or remembered): it feels like the gains are a bit different the second. Should I wait past 10 to promote? I feel like my army is a bit lower powered then Synbios at the same point.
Synbios' army is just overpowered as hell if all you're feeling, heh. It's not a bad idea to promote at 12 if you are willing to do a little egressing and it's not too excrutiating, but generally the game is balanced that you promote at 10. I always promoted at 10 in SF3 to keep at least a little challenge in the game. Anything passed 12 usually requires gimmick leveling - e.g., hitting the invincible vandal for hours ad nasuem in scenario 1.

And yeah, scenario 1 is honestly the lowest point of the trilogy from what I remember regarding the gameplay. Did some of the SSF graphic glitches clear up in scenario 2/3? I only see magic effects maybe half the time as I near the end of scenario 1 in my replay.

Levantine
Feb 14, 2005

GUNDAM!!!

Rascyc posted:

Synbios' army is just overpowered as hell if all you're feeling, heh. It's not a bad idea to promote at 12 if you are willing to do a little egressing and it's not too excrutiating, but generally the game is balanced that you promote at 10. I always promoted at 10 in SF3 to keep at least a little challenge in the game. Anything passed 12 usually requires gimmick leveling - e.g., hitting the invincible vandal for hours ad nasuem in scenario 1.

And yeah, scenario 1 is honestly the lowest point of the trilogy from what I remember regarding the gameplay. Did some of the SSF graphic glitches clear up in scenario 2/3? I only see magic effects maybe half the time as I near the end of scenario 1 in my replay.

No graphic issues at all in Scenario 2 so far. SSF runs it better than Scenario 1 honestly. 2 doesn't have the weird terrain graphical bug that the first one has.

I ended up promoting Medion and Julian at 17. There are so many Spark casting Masked Monks that give 49 exp per kill up to about level 16 that it's trivial to get them that high. I used the Rainblood battle (basement side) to level my force a bit. I was getting kicked around pretty hard beforehand.

One thing I've notice is that the "gimmick" battles ratchet up in Scenario 2. Some good, some bad but way more creative than the first scenario. You are absolutely right about the first being the low point. It's certainly not bad but it gets so good later on that it feels criminal Sega didn't localize them.

Wendell
May 11, 2003

My RPG loving friends, prepare yourselves for The Magical Realms of Tír na nÓg: Escape from Necron 7 – Revenge of Cuchulainn: The Official Game of the Movie – Chapter 2 of the Hoopz Barkley SaGa, the sequel to the 2008 edutainment tour de force Barkley, Shut Up and Jam: Gaiden.

Chef Boyardee
Oct 25, 2007

freindly
As lead designer and musician at Tales of Game's, I can promise you that Barkley 2 will be just as, if not more mediocre than the original.

MMF Freeway
Sep 15, 2010

Later!

I know it sounds cliche but: day loving one.

O__O
Jan 26, 2011

by Cowcaster

Chef Boyardee posted:

As lead designer and musician at Tales of Game's, I can promise you that Barkley 2 will be just as, if not more mediocre than the original.

Good luck to you guys. I'm not exaggerating when I say the first game had one of the best battle systems in a rpg I've played, and was a great game aside from being really funny. Semper Games.

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

Chef Boyardee posted:

But yeah, I think Kawazu is one of the best people to ever make games and the project I'm working on is basically a huge love letter to him. I just wish Square Enix would let him out of his cubicle every once in a while for fresh air and maybe a new game or two.

I wonder if this is related.

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

Chef Boyardee posted:

I know you guys are doing a kickstarter but as a non-US resident can I just mail you $100 and you give me the game now

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

I know you guys are doing a kickstarter but as a non-US resident can I just mail you $100 and you give me the game now

Non-Americans can participate in Kickstarter.

fronz
Apr 7, 2009

Lipstick Apathy

Skwirl posted:

Non-Americans can participate in Kickstarter.

It requires an amazon payments account to either run a kickstarter or donate. Amazon payments accounts are american-only.

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

My favourite little monsters

Francois Kofko posted:

It requires an amazon payments account to either run a kickstarter or donate. Amazon payments accounts are american-only.

I'm Canadian and I participate in them all the time.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wendell
May 11, 2003

Morpheus posted:

I'm Canadian and I participate in them all the time.

Moi aussi.