Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Are you getting the Wii U?
This poll is closed.
Yes 9031 65.25%
No 1191 8.60%
Maybe 808 5.84%
I'm an idiot 460 3.32%
Waluigi 1603 11.58%
Waa 748 5.40%
Total: 13841 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

• Locked thread
Astro7x
Aug 4, 2004
Thinks It's All Real

fivegears4reverse posted:

People don't actually want this, if the wailing and gnashing about GX's difficulty around these parts is the majority opinion.

But I'd be one of the five people who buy this theoretical new F-Zero alongside of you.
The only thing difficult about F-Zero was the story mode. First of all, I can appreciate a racing game that has a difficulty that I can't beat every single time, unlike Mario Kart's 150cc. And second, that story mode was brutal. I never got past the one level where you had to race the ghost on a track that had no walls. Stuff like that should have some difficulty curve to it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Blackbelt Bobman
Jul 17, 2004

I don't need friends! I've been
manipulatin' you since the start!
All so I can something,
something X-Blade!

.TakaM posted:

Be sure to get both Mario Galaxys, and if you manage to find the Metroid Prime Trilogy you'd be a fool not to buy it, and maybe try out one of the Zeldas.

And if you can find Metroid Prime Trilogy for under $80, you're very lucky!

g0lbez
Dec 25, 2004

and then you'll beg

Pablo Gigante posted:

Donkey Kong Country Returns is excellent.

It's a great game if you like waggling

Chronojam
Feb 20, 2006

This is me on vacation in Amsterdam :)
Never be afraid of being yourself!

g0lbez posted:

It's a great game if you like waggling

Wait, you didn't just use Ocarina and a classic controller?

g0lbez
Dec 25, 2004

and then you'll beg

Chronojam posted:

Wait, you didn't just use Ocarina and a classic controller?

The waggling was so goddamn bad in that game that it literally drove me to mod my Wii just for that very purpose. So yeah I guess I did just use Ocarina and a classic controller then.

Chronojam
Feb 20, 2006

This is me on vacation in Amsterdam :)
Never be afraid of being yourself!

g0lbez posted:

The waggling was so goddamn bad in that game that it literally drove me to mod my Wii just for that very purpose. So yeah I guess I did just use Ocarina and a classic controller then.

There you go. I played exactly one level thinking "It can't be so bad, can it?" before restarting with the classic controller.

Chaltab
Feb 16, 2011

So shocked someone got me an avatar!

Blackbelt Bobman posted:

And if you can find Metroid Prime Trilogy for under $80, you're very lucky!
It's not that much different in price than getting a used Gamecube for the first two games! Granted the New Play Control is probably worth the extra money.

quote:

So the big picture is, Hyrule is part of the Lyatt system which makes Star Fox, Star Fox 64, Star Fox Assault, and Star Fox Adventures all take place thousands of years before OoT which is the first game in chronological order in the Zelda series.
Ocarina of Time takes place after Skyward Sword and The Minish Cap!
:goonsay:

Ghosts n Gopniks
Nov 2, 2004

Imagine how much more sad and lonely we would be if not for the hard work of lowtax. Here's $12.95 to his aid.
I understand not upscaling Wii games, but it should at least stretch to 720p (Wii wide-screen was stretched in the first place, henceforth )

extremebuff
Jun 20, 2010

MrLonghair posted:

I understand not upscaling Wii games, but it should at least stretch to 720p (Wii wide-screen was stretched in the first place, henceforth )

What? The reason Wii games look so bad on modern tvs in the first place is because the image is getting stretched.

If it isn't RENDERED at a higher resolution it will look like poo poo, which isn't an easy thing to do as it would require many times the power to brute-force upres games that weren't intended to run that way.

Fergus Mac Roich
Nov 5, 2008

Soiled Meat
My computer can do it. It's a shame that the Wii U can't.

Supercar Gautier
Jun 10, 2006

It's difficult to account for how well individual games will upscale. What if the upscaling affects performance inconsistently between games, or even produces errors for some? Because that's certainly the case on an emulator.

extremebuff
Jun 20, 2010

Fergus Mac Roich posted:

My computer can do it. It's a shame that the Wii U can't.

If your PC can do F-Zero GX at 1080p with 60 fps, you have a PC that is WAY loving stronger than the U and stronger than anything Sony or Microsoft would release.

Fergus Mac Roich
Nov 5, 2008

Soiled Meat
I don't have F-zero GX but it does other GC games at 1080p and 60fps. It's just an i5 and a 6870.

For the record the 360 and PS3 were comparable to high end PCs when they were released.

Fergus Mac Roich fucked around with this message at 01:00 on Nov 6, 2012

Doug Dinsdale
Aug 31, 2003

Shorts
Comfy: {Yes}
Easy to Wear: {Yes}
Alright, we're good to go! :neckbeard:
Managed to preorder a MH3GHD + Premium bundle on Amazon Japan, so I canceled my NA unit, even though I will now have to endure three+ weeks until I get the JP unit in my mitts. I'd much rather spend the money on games, though.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Doug Dinsdale posted:

Managed to preorder a MH3GHD + Premium bundle on Amazon Japan, so I canceled my NA unit, even though I will now have to endure three+ weeks until I get the JP unit in my mitts. I'd much rather spend the money on games, though.

Actually, you'll be waiting about 5-6 weeks if you're in the US. The JPN release date is December 8.

Supercar Gautier posted:

It's difficult to account for how well individual games will upscale. What if the upscaling affects performance inconsistently between games, or even produces errors for some? Because that's certainly the case on an emulator.

This is pretty much what I assumed as well.

extremebuff
Jun 20, 2010

Fergus Mac Roich posted:

I don't have F-zero GX but it does other GC games at 1080p and 60fps. It's just an i5 and a 6870.

For the record the 360 and PS3 were comparable to high end PCs when they were released.

Well a guy tried running it at 1080p with an i7 4+ ghz quad and a GTX 580 and it would lag in some spots.

As others have said inconsistency would be a big issue. The biggest issue would be compatability. No emulator is perfect, some games simply won't run or will have terrible glitches.

The amount of effort needed to iron out all these problems just so that Wii games can have AA and maybe get smoothed out a bit is tremendous. The Wii Mode makes sure that every game works just as it did on the Wii.

Almost Smart
Sep 14, 2001

so your telling me you wasn't drunk or fucked up in anyway. when you had sex with me and that monkey
I finally saw a Wii U commercial on the television. I'm sure NSMBU will be great (I preordered it months ago), but I'm not sure that's what you should lead with if you want to demonstrate your brand new HD system.

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.

Almost Smart posted:

I finally saw a Wii U commercial on the television. I'm sure NSMBU will be great (I preordered it months ago), but I'm not sure that's what you should lead with if you want to demonstrate your brand new HD system.

People outside of niche internet communities aren't nearly as bothered by visuals as you might think, and a lot of the people who spend their time dissecting and complaining about this stuff can barely even distinguish between the various bullet points they're always trotting out. It doesn't matter.

katkillad2
Aug 30, 2004

Awake and unreal, off to nowhere
I don't ever do anything for black friday and this won't change my mind, but some of you might be interested. Apparently Old Navy is going to give a copy of SMB U to a select number of people at their stores if you are one of the first people in line and spend $40 dollars.

extremebuff
Jun 20, 2010

katkillad2 posted:

I don't ever do anything for black friday and this won't change my mind, but some of you might be interested. Apparently Old Navy is going to give a copy of SMB U to a select number of people at their stores if you are one of the first people in line and spend $40 dollars.

Those loving poor employees at old navy.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

katkillad2 posted:

A free copy of a much-desired launch title for the new Nintendo console. On Black Friday. Sweet Jesus, people are gonna die in those stampedes. I really hope they give the staff some riot gear to defend themselves or something because this is not going to end well at all. :ohdear:

moron izzard
Nov 17, 2006

Grimey Drawer
Haven't all the black friday game give aways at old navy been really disappointing and a waste of time, even for campers (due to quantity on hand)

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

I'm seriously expecting one news report at the least of a injury over this. What a insane idea.

Policenaut
Jul 11, 2008

On the moon... they don't make Neo Kobe Pizza.

Robolizard! posted:

Haven't all the black friday game give aways at old navy been really disappointing and a waste of time, even for campers (due to quantity on hand)

Yeah, they always run out of them at an insane speed even for games that aren't as hyped. I went one year at like 6 AM or whatever to get a copy of LEGO Rock Band from them and they had like 10 copies, while a total of like 100 people had lined up.

Vaerai Archon
Jan 4, 2007

by Y Kant Ozma Post
The deal isn't even that good. Most new releases Toys R Us gives you a gift card that can range anywhere from 50% of the game's value to the exact cost of the game itself.

It's also usualy not the software that's hard to find, but the hardware.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Policenaut posted:

Yeah, they always run out of them at an insane speed even for games that aren't as hyped. I went one year at like 6 AM or whatever to get a copy of LEGO Rock Band from them and they had like 10 copies, while a total of like 100 people had lined up.

And that's for a game only some people wanted (not a slight against the game itself, I just mean in terms of general interest). This is a game every parent's going to try and get for Little Timmy or Little Suzy to go with their new Nintendo for Christmas.

Joink
Jan 8, 2004

What if I told you cod is no longer a fish :coolfish:
I hope they don't even give out tickets for the copy of the game to the first few people and instead expect you to grab $40 worth of products off the shelf and mad dash for the register.

Vaerai Archon
Jan 4, 2007

by Y Kant Ozma Post

Neddy Seagoon posted:

And that's for a game only some people wanted (not a slight against the game itself, I just mean in terms of general interest). This is a game every parent's going to try and get for Little Timmy or Little Suzy to go with their new Nintendo for Christmas.

What era are you living in? Children mostly want Halo and Call of Duty. It's the adults who want Mario.

extremebuff
Jun 20, 2010

Vaerai Archon posted:

What era are you living in? Children mostly want Halo and Call of Duty. It's the adults who want Mario.

Well, to be more accurate, children want loving everything and are never satisfied.

Playing Halo makes you a cooler ten year old than playing Mario though.

Vaerai Archon
Jan 4, 2007

by Y Kant Ozma Post

Bobnumerotres posted:

Well, to be more accurate, children want loving everything and are never satisfied.

Playing Halo makes you a cooler ten year old than playing Mario though.

I dunno there seems to be a large representation of the Tween demographic in public matches.

I know this first hand because I hear them scream at me. At this point I've probably shot more children than most african wars.

Katana Gomai
Jan 14, 2007

"Thus," concluded Miyamoto, "you must give up everything you have to be my disciple."

I feel like having to listen to children on Live is a rightful punishment for playing console shooters voluntarily. Also as a non-American, I love watching Black Friday because it seems like your stores are trying to one-up each other in how many people they can get to injure each other every year, like they're having some weird dystopian challenge between them.

extremebuff
Jun 20, 2010

Katana Gomai posted:

I feel like having to listen to children on Live is a rightful punishment for playing console shooters voluntarily. Also as a non-American, I love watching Black Friday because it seems like your stores are trying to one-up each other in how many people they can get to injure each other every year, like they're having some weird dystopian challenge between them.

I stay online and get all the same crazy deals without the worry of being trampled.

quote:

I'm seriously expecting one news report at the least of a injury over this. What a insane idea.

I believe last year the Black Friday Kill Count™ was 3.

extremebuff fucked around with this message at 14:54 on Nov 6, 2012

Jut
May 16, 2005

by Ralp
Just out of interest I had a look to see how much a U would be here in Romania - a sliver under 2000 RON which is around 450-500 Euros.
Not
A
loving
Chance

Paper Jam Dipper
Jul 14, 2007

by XyloJW

Jut posted:

Just out of interest I had a look to see how much a U would be here in Romania - a sliver under 2000 RON which is around 450-500 Euros.
Not
A
loving
Chance

It would probably be cheaper for you to just get a North American Wii U and get everything shipped.

Jut
May 16, 2005

by Ralp
and get raped for import tax and nintendo's retarded region locking faff? I'm not too fussed about getting one...200 bones maybe 250 and it would be a spontaneous thing, but not 450

extremebuff
Jun 20, 2010

Jut posted:

and get raped for import tax and nintendo's retarded region locking faff? I'm not too fussed about getting one...200 bones maybe 250 and it would be a spontaneous thing, but not 450

If you want to play games, go to America. :911:

Paper Jam Dipper
Jul 14, 2007

by XyloJW

Jut posted:

500 Euros is $636 Canadian.

It's $299/$349 for a console in Canada.

Is Import Tax and shipping really going to burn you double the cost of the console?

AngryCaterpillar
Feb 1, 2007

I DREW THIS
Plus we'll be able to download probably almost all Wii U games. No import tax there. Get the Deluxe console and save 10% on the digital stuff. JOIN US JUT

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

Jut posted:

Not
A
loving
Chance
Greatest tragedy since Ceaușescu

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ghosts n Gopniks
Nov 2, 2004

Imagine how much more sad and lonely we would be if not for the hard work of lowtax. Here's $12.95 to his aid.

Jut posted:

I think it'll pay off in the end. I use videogameplus.ca and get games for free compared to what they cost in-country, if we got US WiiUs we wouldn't have to wait for a bunch of lazy European translations to get translations done too.

Just gotta find out if we'll screw ourselves over with getting accounts, buying things online or not.

• Locked thread