Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Nur_Neerg
Sep 1, 2004

The Lumbering but Unstoppable Sasquatch of the Appalachians

Internet Meme posted:

Haha, I had a feeling you were that guy. Guess you didn't need my cowl after all. :v:

Hah oh poo poo, hay! Yeah, a kid bought it that was all kinds of excited about rebuilding it, and wanted to go the Duc tail route. I appreciate the offer, though! My buddy's red '89 is pretty gorgeous, just needs a few really minor things to clean it up, like that working choke cable. What year's yours/what kind of shape is it in? They always seem to vary wildly between beat to gently caress and impeccable.

Nur_Neerg fucked around with this message at 17:45 on Oct 30, 2012

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

my turn in the barrel
Dec 31, 2007

I finally got rid of all the harley live to ride eagle poo poo on my bike by replacing the gascap with a flush mount and prying the medallion off the sissy bar.

I couldn't resist a bit of trailer park style and figured a high stop light might help avoid getting rear ended so I grabbed an led hitch cover and a quick connector and went to town.

my turn in the barrel fucked around with this message at 19:20 on Oct 30, 2012

AfricanBootyShine
Jan 9, 2006

Snake wins.

Mine is pretty ratty right now. I've got the parts to pretty it up (tank, cowl), but I'm going to wait until I'm a better rider to put them on. If you've read the new members section in the last few months you've definitely seen my bike/saga.

You sell it to that Hernandez kid on the forums?

Nur_Neerg
Sep 1, 2004

Internet Meme posted:

Mine is pretty ratty right now. I've got the parts to pretty it up (tank, cowl), but I'm going to wait until I'm a better rider to put them on. If you've read the new members section in the last few months you've definitely seen my bike/saga.

You sell it to that Hernandez kid on the forums?

Hah, fair enough. And yeah, that's the one. Kind of curious to see if he ends up making anything out of it.

LarryCsonka
Nov 7, 2006
Oooh, I don't go map-finding-behinding
All this Hawk GT talk has got me excited, so I need to post a pic of mine.

Deeters
Aug 21, 2007

LarryCsonka posted:

All this Hawk GT talk has got me excited, so I need to post a pic of mine.

Is this on Route 7 around New Milford/Kent? Just about every road in the northeast looks like this, but for some reason it struck me as 7.

LarryCsonka
Nov 7, 2006
Oooh, I don't go map-finding-behinding

Deeters posted:

Is this on Route 7 around New Milford/Kent? Just about every road in the northeast looks like this, but for some reason it struck me as 7.

You are exactly right, good eye. Do you ride in the area?

Snowdens Secret
Dec 29, 2008
Someone got you a obnoxiously racist av.
I do. 37/39 south of there are really fun roads and pretty this time of year. I like taking them up to 7, cutting through New Milford and then either looping back or taking 67 across to Southbury.

AfricanBootyShine
Jan 9, 2006

Snake wins.

Nur_Neerg posted:

Hah, fair enough. And yeah, that's the one. Kind of curious to see if he ends up making anything out of it.

Ha. We should go for a ride this spring.

Do you have a cheapy tire guy in the area? I need to get some tires mounted off-bike, the shadetree dudes I know out here aren't setup to balance single-sided swingarm wheels.

Nur_Neerg
Sep 1, 2004

Internet Meme posted:

Ha. We should go for a ride this spring.

Do you have a cheapy tire guy in the area? I need to get some tires mounted off-bike, the shadetree dudes I know out here aren't setup to balance single-sided swingarm wheels.

I'd be down, bet my buddy with the red Hawk would be too. Pretty sure he's also a goon. And yeah, I've been dealing with paying too much for Seattle Cycle Center to do it... My buddies had a guy, but I think he's out in Wenatchee.

BlackLaser
Dec 2, 2005

Put on a used pair of Delkevic slipons last night, PAIR block off plates last weekend and bypassed the intake flapper.

A rear stand should be waiting for me at home so I can get the chain changed out. I will probably do the 17/44-520 conversion while I'm at it. Pretty sure this is the original 18,000 mile chain. Then brake pads front and rear.

70F is cold for Florida. I might have to put my liner in my jacket. :qq:

clutchpuck
Apr 30, 2004
ro-tard

Nur_Neerg posted:

I'd be down, bet my buddy with the red Hawk would be too. Pretty sure he's also a goon. And yeah, I've been dealing with paying too much for Seattle Cycle Center to do it... My buddies had a guy, but I think he's out in Wenatchee.

Ducati Bellevue does on-bike tire changes for $60+tax - I used them for my last pair of tires and I'm still alive 9k mi later so they didn't mess it up as far as I can tell.

Deeters
Aug 21, 2007

LarryCsonka posted:

You are exactly right, good eye. Do you ride in the area?

Yeah, I'm from Bethel. I don't go up 7 very often, I usually end up taking 67 and going through random backroads from there. I think I recognized that area in your picture more from the dirt road on the other side of the river.

Nur_Neerg
Sep 1, 2004

clutchpuck posted:

Ducati Bellevue does on-bike tire changes for $60+tax - I used them for my last pair of tires and I'm still alive 9k mi later so they didn't mess it up as far as I can tell.

Total or per wheel?

Snowdens Secret
Dec 29, 2008
Someone got you a obnoxiously racist av.

Deeters posted:

Yeah, I'm from Bethel. I don't go up 7 very often, I usually end up taking 67 and going through random backroads from there. I think I recognized that area in your picture more from the dirt road on the other side of the river.

From Bethel, 58 South to Black Rock is a gorgeous route with some varying speed zones, hills, curves, water etc. Do it early in the AM on a weekend for no traffic, it gets lovely with slow movers by midday

clutchpuck
Apr 30, 2004
ro-tard

Nur_Neerg posted:

Total or per wheel?

Total, but now that I think about it, the price was for tires bought through them or via motorcycle superstore (I had to show them my MCSS receipt).

Ashex
Jun 25, 2007

These pipes are cleeeean!!!
motorcycle superstore does price matching so what I do is look up the cheapest and get them to do the price match then order the tires.

XYLOPAGUS
Aug 23, 2006
--the creator of awesome--
Up until last night, the only thing I had done to a motorcycle was change the oil and install frame sliders (bike is a '10 Ninja 250).

Last night I took the tank off and started removing junk to get to the valve cover and check / re-shim my valves. I followed the thread on kawiforums and it's working really well. When I went to bed, the valve cover was ready to come off! Looking forward to getting my hands dirty again this evening. I hope to be done with the adjustments tonight and Saturday I'll put together a carb syncing apparatus to do that as well.

The California emissions junk on this thing is really annoying. I'm thinking about removing it per another thread on Kawi forums, but I don't want to screw up the power curves or lean it out even more than it already is.

Rev. Dr. Moses P. Lester
Oct 3, 2000
Not my bike, but worth posting. We've got a 1991 BMW K100RS in our shop with a mysterious running issue. It's been there since about June and just in the last dew days we finally found the issue. It's a high mileage bike and may have been neglected for a while. Owner said he replaced the fuel pump not long before he brought it to us.

The bike runs like poo poo, as if 2 cylinders are cutting out. We did all kinds of diagnosing to it trying to figure it out, found all kinds of things wrong, but never fixed the problem. Tested the throttle position sensor, the ignition timing, compression, fuel pressure. All good. Pulled the fuel rail off and cranked the engine to watch the injectors spray into the air, and then did the same on my own K100, and the spray looked different on the problem bike. Thinner stream, less atomized. So we thought we found it there, and sent the injectors off to be cleaned. They came back with a report from the cleaner showing lovely flow before and good flow now. Put them back in the bike, took it on a long test ride, and the problem came back after a few miles.

Checked the valve clearance, found a bunch of them way off spec. Found the cam chain a bit stretched. Thought that was it again. Replaced all that poo poo, which was no small job, given it's DOHC and the valve shims are the buckets, so you have to special order all that poo poo. Put it back together, still ran like poo poo.

Luckily for testing purposes we had my K100 in the shop and another K bike with an identical ECU and coils. I swapped the ECU and coils out of the bad bike and into the other good bike, they ran great in the good bike. Put em back into the bad bike, bad bike still runs like poo poo. So at this point I was thinking, airflow sensor? Coolant temp sensor? What else could it possibly be? Spent a whole day redoing some poo poo and brainstorming with the shop owner on it, stopped working on my other projects, emailed my instructors back at MMI. Cause the bike had been here about 5 months now, and racked up a thousand dollar bill, and we still didn't even know what the problem was. Checked fuel pressure again, decided to swap out the injectors with my bike. It started up and ran good again, but then I took it on another long test ride, and the symptoms started to come back. Put the bad bike's injectors in my bike, now my bike runs like poo poo.

Ok, so injectors. But we had them cleaned and the cleaners tested them and they worked good for a while...? And it's always got good fuel pressure...? Tried swapping my entire fuel tank to the bad bike, which was some work because the electrical connectors are in the wrong place. Had to wire in some custom patch cables. Took it on a long test ride again, twice over, ran perfect. The tank did it. So now we know what the problem parts are. But why the problem?

I had always kind of ignored the tank because it had good pressure and we knew the pump had been replaced. So now we removed the cap and took a closer look at the tank. It's almost all aluminum, so not much in there to rust, but lo and behold, there was a significant amount of rusty looking sediment in the bottom of it:

That brown poo poo near the glare in the bottom right isn't a shadow, it's rust or something else with the consistency of sand.

And presumably all of it came from the single non-aluminum piece in the tank, the fuel level float arm, which looked like the underside of a truck in a junkyard:

But it's got a filter, and it's got good pressure...?

Took the filter out, it looked fine. It was new, even. Manufactured in 2011. But then I cut it open:

Doesn't look right. It's bent.

Oh, well that explains it then. You can ignore the gray specks, that's the result of me hacksawing the filter case open. But look at that filter element. I didn't bend it to get it out, it was like that before. And the poo poo on the surface:

I touched it on the spot in the middle and some of it came off, so now you can see how thick it was. Nasty poo poo. Looked like mud. After I let it sit on a counter for a while, it dried up and cracked like a dried river bed.

The pump on these bikes is supposedly capable of about 150psi. So, looks like there was a huge amount of crap in the tank that clogged the filter, and then the pump simply blew the filter out, and the crap has been clogging the injectors ever since. What's amazing though is that if the timeline the owner gave us is accurate, this filter ran for about a couple months before it came to us. It got that bad in a couple months. And the pump survived all that. Crazy. I'm just relieved as gently caress that we finally found the problem. Now we get to see how happy the owner is about another few hundred $ added to the bill for disassembling and cleaning out the tank and de-crusting that float arm.

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

I think the point is Z3n is a space cowboy on the edge of a frontier unknown to man, he's out there pushing the limits, trail braking into the abyss. Finding out where the edge of the razor is, turning to face the darkness and revving his 690 into it's vast gaze. You gotta live this to learn it bro.
Good story. My mechanic friend always says "check the last thing fixed" when there's some weird issues with a bike...it's almost never wrong. Usually the last person to work on it was close to solving the problem but there's something else that's contributing. I'm surprised whoever changed the pump didn't check the tank for rust, all things considered. Unless that somehow happened after the fact?

I get to tear into the entire garage tomorrow, pretty much...

Pulling exhaust and swapping shock on the new ZX6E, and replacing the top end. Tearing down the triumph to check the valves, changing the coolant, checking the air filter, doing a compression test, etc. Also have to pack up a bunch of SV parts. Hopefully after the day is done I'll have some idea of why the compression was low on the middle cylinder on the Triumph, and will hopefully be able to clear a spot out in the garage for the planned next acquisition...a Daytona 675 for track and maybe some street use.

Z3n fucked around with this message at 04:11 on Nov 3, 2012

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

Great story, I love the mechanical detective hunt.

Rev. Dr. Moses P. Lester
Oct 3, 2000

Z3n posted:

Good story. My mechanic friend always says "check the last thing fixed" when there's some weird issues with a bike...it's almost never wrong.
True enough, I shoulda done that. But without knowing what I know now, I think I might have looked in the tank, saw the crap, and thought, "so what? There's a filter and it still has good pressure." Not knowing how the filters are constructed, I would have assumed a clogged one would simply stop the fuel flow, rather than blowing out and letting unfiltered gas through. Are most EFI fuel filters vulnerable to this kind of failure?

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

Rev. Dr. Moses P. Lester posted:

Are most EFI fuel filters vulnerable to this kind of failure?

I don't know but the wisdom to take away is "pressurized fuel systems go wrong in more complicated ways".

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

I think the point is Z3n is a space cowboy on the edge of a frontier unknown to man, he's out there pushing the limits, trail braking into the abyss. Finding out where the edge of the razor is, turning to face the darkness and revving his 690 into it's vast gaze. You gotta live this to learn it bro.

Rev. Dr. Moses P. Lester posted:

True enough, I shoulda done that. But without knowing what I know now, I think I might have looked in the tank, saw the crap, and thought, "so what? There's a filter and it still has good pressure." Not knowing how the filters are constructed, I would have assumed a clogged one would simply stop the fuel flow, rather than blowing out and letting unfiltered gas through. Are most EFI fuel filters vulnerable to this kind of failure?

I think it's pretty rare that you end up with that level of debris in an FI bike for now...we'll probably start seeing more crap like that over the next couple of decades.

Ola posted:

I don't know but the wisdom to take away is "pressurized fuel systems go wrong in more complicated ways".

Yeah...this is why for as finicky as carbs can be, I do enjoy their relative simplicity.

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe
Started up the Honda for the first time since mid-July. Lots of rusty looking wetness spewing out of the right exhaust. Definite carb boot leak on the right side as well. Almost winter time and I doubt it'll make it to my parents' place, so I gotta start looking for storage.

Two weeks back I left the grip heaters on the Bandit on one night and didn't ride for another 2 days. Cue a bike that won't start! Popped the battery on the quick charger for 10 minutes, and I got her started up again and rode like hell to meet my friends for a movie. Now the drat grips won't heat up anymore. Controller comes on green, but no level lights at all. Right when I need them the most. Argh.

Took the Bandit out today to find oil filters, and I swear, the 2007 Bandit is some mystery bike, no one has any info at all about it except in the UK. Even though it was an official Canadian model, and I have the dual language manual and stickers on the bike to prove it! :)

clutchpuck
Apr 30, 2004
ro-tard

We had a similar experience on my wife's R1150R. She bought it, rode it to Sturgis, and commuted all fall. At some point in the winter it started running rough, dying coming down to idle, and was low on power.

We basically gave it a tune up - new oils, valve clearance, throttle body sync, double checked alternator belt, new spark plugs. Didn't help. New spark plug wires, didn't help. Cleaned all the electrical connections in the ignition system, double checked valves and TBs, didn't help. Tested the charging and ignition system and saw strong spark and good voltage. Checked compression, is fine. Watched fuel injectors work.

Finally checked the newish K&N air filter. We put it in after we returned from Sturgis and had about 1500-2000mi on it so it was like "well we checked everything else I can think of might as well check this even though it will be fine". It was the worst air filter I've ever seen. Bugs, sand, leaves, PINE CONES, and just totally clogged with sludge! Bike ran great when we put it back in, cleaned and oiled.

Takeaway: forward-facing intake snorkels and PNW fall road spray appear to be incompatible.

clutchpuck fucked around with this message at 17:33 on Nov 4, 2012

BlackLaser
Dec 2, 2005

Got my new stand in last week. I bought the Moto Stance M-6 rear stand on sale from Motorcycle Superstore for $70. No spool option on my 919 the universal swingarm mounts work fine. I've never used a stand before. I don't know what other stands do that make them worth twice as much, but this one works fine for me.

Cleaned up the bike and finished tweaking the second hand Delkevic slipons. Changed the oil and filter. Adjusted lubed the chain.

AfricanBootyShine
Jan 9, 2006

Snake wins.

Got my new tires mounted & balanced by Faron @ GixxerTek. Faron's a great guy, we shot the poo poo while he worked. Cut me a great deal, too: $40 for both.

Went to bazacko's and we wired in a temporary kill switch and hooked up the siggies... In reverse. :downs:

We nailed down the pulsing to the left side. It's probably a warped rotor, but I'm planning on cleaning the calipers next weekend just to be safe.

As it sits:

AfricanBootyShine fucked around with this message at 05:02 on Nov 5, 2012

SB35
Jul 6, 2007
Move along folks, nothing to see here.
Winterized and parked it for the next 5+ months :(

SB35 fucked around with this message at 05:38 on Nov 5, 2012

Ashex
Jun 25, 2007

Internet Meme posted:

Went to bazacko's and we wired in a temporary kill switch and hooked up the siggies... In reverse. :downs:

You found the cover for the signal or did you buy a replacement?

XYLOPAGUS
Aug 23, 2006
--the creator of awesome--
Finished my first valve adjustment ever! There was just one valve that didn't loosen up quite as much as I wanted, but its still within spec, so I'm happy.

Test rode it without the fairings and I have noticeable improvement in off-throttle response and a little beefier mid range (08+ Ninja 250).

Next up is carb sync, oil change, and new tires.

AfricanBootyShine
Jan 9, 2006

Snake wins.

Ashex posted:

You found the cover for the signal or did you buy a replacement?

Picked up a full set of knockoff Buells for the same price as a new signal.

Ashex
Jun 25, 2007

Internet Meme posted:

Picked up a full set of knockoff Buells for the same price as a new signal.

Excellent!

On-topic, finally got time to install the second horn on the bike, painfully loud now :D I was going to reconnect the stock fuel controller but the fuel tube wasn't budging from the stem on the tank, didn't want to risk snapping it so I'll get to it another day.

I found that a stem on one of the fairings is missing :/

AnnoyBot
May 28, 2001

AnnoyBot posted:

Here's my masterwork in bent aluminum bar stock, which solves both the loose light and loose fender issue:

I'm taking commissions now, so you better get your place in the queue!

So metal fatigue, especially in aluminum, is a thing. My lovely bracket broke on the freeway. Not only that but some wires came loose and shorted which blew the headlamp fuse (at least that seems to be what happened). In the rain. Somehow a single wire held on and the assembly did not fly off the bike. Something also caused it to start missing badly on 2 cylinders, like it had lost a coil. Luckily my jedi training in piloting dodgy vehicles is very strong, so I was able to limp to a safe place.

I suppose I'll redo the bracket in steel and powder coat it.

GanjamonII
Mar 24, 2001
Most all the parts are back on the bike after I wrecked it.. just need to put the foot peg and brake lever on, install the right side plastic and bar ends. oh and put in coolant and check alignment on the rear wheel.
Excited for tomorrow when I want to ride it into the office and make sure its all hanging together before the last track day of the season.

Huzzah for working on your own bike the sense of accomplishment is fantastic!

the walkin dude
Oct 27, 2004

powerfully erect.

BlackLaser posted:

Cleaned up the bike and finished tweaking the second hand Delkevic slipons. Changed the oil and filter. Adjusted lubed the chain.

Very nice! How do the Delkevics sound?

BlackLaser
Dec 2, 2005

the walkin dude posted:

Very nice! How do the Delkevics sound?

Perfect with the silencers installed. Sounds like a bike instead of a sewing machine now. I had some free debaffled mufflers previously and they were terrible. Lasted maybe 500 miles before I couldn't take it anymore.

not mine obviously
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TNnFZXjae6o

Removed the Tuono mirrors and scavenged a bar end mirror from my oil pissing CB550. Bike looks better without the big ears on it. I'll have to ride it to verify, but loved the bar end on the CB.

Have to pull the CB550 engine this winter and go through it.

GanjamonII
Mar 24, 2001

GanjamonII posted:

Most all the parts are back on the bike after I wrecked it.. just need to put the foot peg and brake lever on, install the right side plastic and bar ends. oh and put in coolant and check alignment on the rear wheel.
Excited for tomorrow when I want to ride it into the office and make sure its all hanging together before the last track day of the season.

Huzzah for working on your own bike the sense of accomplishment is fantastic!

Welp all done. Took longer than expected after dropping a bolt down into the bike somewhere around the back of the engine. Ended up taking a bunch of stuff off to find it. The only thing missing is the right rear indicator which keeps making the bike show the fault indicator light and little display on the dash. I just need one last bolt to mount it and done.

However, I'm kind of annoyed that I can't make my Corbin seat fit the bike. It is really quite frustrating that it cost near 300$ and doesn't fit even after getting them send out some modified mounting hardware. I need to take a dril to it myself I think. Not all that impressed with this.

FIrst time on the bike in about a month. Riding like a dong never felt so good.

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe
Trying to put the Bandit away for the winter. Fairings off, things disconnected, trying to get the plugs out, and then this:

#4 plug, sheared off. This sucks :(

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rev. Dr. Moses P. Lester
Oct 3, 2000
Did a little ride on my bike today. Took a pic in all 4 corners of the state:

About 592 miles, 14 hours.

My road book, since I don't have a GPS mount on the Duc yet:

Starting out at dawn:

About an hour later, northwest:

2 border patrol SUVs showed up about 1 minute after that photo. Apparently strangers on bikes with cameras makes the locals nervous. But they were all chill about it, we chatted about bikes and the evils of ethanol for a while and I left. That's Canada on the other side of that log, btw. A strange foreign land of luxury taxes and no guns.

About 3 hours later, northeast:

About 4 hours later, southeast:

Or real close anyway. Road was blocked by these guys for reasons I don't know:

About an hour later, southwest:

A more accurate representation of what time it was:

And about 4 hours later after a little snack, back home:

You can see the exact geotag on all the photos here: https://picasaweb.google.com/103239720696843243039/Vt4corners

Bike was fairly reliable. It decided it wanted to idle a couple hundred RPM higher all the time by the end of the trip. And there was a funny intermittent rattle feeling in the left foot peg during hard cornering. Still investigating that one.