Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Tasoth
Dec 13, 2011

Rap Music and Dope posted:

Wow thanks for all the replies! I guess I got to do some grinding and get healed from the undead lady. I was really worried I fell through a spot in the map and getting cursed this early would lead to so much loving trouble but it's not problem it's just :darksouls:

Also, having ten humanity noticeably increases the curse resistance bar. I actually don't mind running the Depths as the basilisk portion nets a 2k souls for little trouble.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

casual poster
Jun 29, 2009

So casual.

MoonwalkInvincible posted:

He's wearing the Silver Serpent ring.

I did not know that did that :psyboom:

So, to get into the Warrior of Sunlight covenant you still need to have 25 in your faith stat, right? (I know about the -5 for every person you helped complete a boss, I was just hoping a patch had lowered it)

raton
Jul 28, 2003

by FactsAreUseless

casual poster posted:

I did not know that did that :psyboom:

So, to get into the Warrior of Sunlight covenant you still need to have 25 in your faith stat, right? (I know about the -5 for every person you helped complete a boss, I was just hoping a patch had lowered it)

A patch did lower it. The first patch. A million years ago. You used to have to have 50.

Akuma
Sep 11, 2001

Remember when you couldn't see how many souls you needed to go up a level? I feel like the game fucks with you less these days.

tractor fanatic
Sep 9, 2005

Pillbug
Welp, apparently the Anor Londo firekeeper can parry.

Bonaventure
Jun 23, 2005

by sebmojo

Rap Music and Dope posted:

Wow thanks for all the replies! I guess I got to do some grinding and get healed from the undead lady. I was really worried I fell through a spot in the map and getting cursed this early would lead to so much loving trouble but it's not problem it's just :darksouls:

The same thing just happened to me. I would suggest going to Oswald in the bell tower of the undead parish for your curse removal item. He sells them a lot cheaper.

Worldwide Panther
Jul 20, 2010

Go see the stars!

tractor fanatic posted:

Welp, apparently the Anor Londo firekeeper can parry.

Doesn't she have the parrying dagger?

zonar
Jan 4, 2012

That was a BAD business decision!
Just bumped into the "invade as a white phantom" glitch - unfortunately, it happened to a guy I'd unfairly ganked about twice before :downs: Was slightly awkward, but I died to O&S anyway but helped him through the level, so I was cool with it.

Back to Darkwraithing.

casual poster
Jun 29, 2009

So casual.

Sheep-Goats posted:

A patch did lower it. The first patch. A million years ago. You used to have to have 50.

Yeah I remember that, had this poo poo since day 1!

Any SL141 PS3 players need help with ANY boss in the game????

HnK416
Apr 26, 2008

Hot diggity damn!
Quick question, I just farmed for the past hour to get enough humanity to open the shortcut to Lost Izalith, so I don't have to kill my bro Solaire. I know you have to kill all 9 chaos bugs and get the sunlight maggot, but is that all?

Robot Randy
Dec 31, 2011

by Lowtax
You can also trade Snuggly a Cracked Red Eye Orb for two Purging stones.

gtrmp
Sep 29, 2008

Oba-Ma... Oba-Ma! Oba-Ma, aasha deh!

HnK416 posted:

Quick question, I just farmed for the past hour to get enough humanity to open the shortcut to Lost Izalith, so I don't have to kill my bro Solaire. I know you have to kill all 9 chaos bugs and get the sunlight maggot, but is that all?

If you have the maggot (or technically, if you killed the bug that drops the maggot), he's safe.

Inside Out Mom
Jan 9, 2004

Franklin B. Znorps
Dignity, Class, Internet
Voted, no stickers. :mad:

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

gtrmp posted:

If you have the maggot (or technically, if you killed the bug that drops the maggot), he's safe.

Good news: I saved my good friend Solaire. :v:
Bad news: I learned that the titanite demon at the end of the tunnel can survive 3 soul spears and 3 dark beads. :gonk:

HnK416
Apr 26, 2008

Hot diggity damn!

RBA Starblade posted:

Good news: I saved my good friend Solaire. :v:
Bad news: I learned that the titanite demon at the end of the tunnel can survive 3 soul spears and 3 dark beads. :gonk:

Yea...summabitch can also take 10 Great Lightning Spears. But yessss, Solaire is saved!
Wait, what if I leave the area and come back?

Kalsco
Jul 26, 2012

HnK416 posted:

Yea...summabitch can also take 10 Great Lightning Spears. But yessss, Solaire is saved!
Wait, what if I leave the area and come back?

You're good, in regards to saving Solaire. The maggots and Titanite Demon respawn, but as long as you've killed the maggot that drops the Sunlight Maggot Solaire is safe from harm.

casual poster
Jun 29, 2009

So casual.
Damnit, whats the closest warp to Nito? Besides the one in his lair (I have to fight the NPC before him to get some loot).

HnK416
Apr 26, 2008

Hot diggity damn!
Okay, awesome. aside from the 30 humanity I farmed to unlock that shortcut, I really don't want my buddy Sunbro to die. :shobon:

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

casual poster posted:

Damnit, whats the closest warp to Nito? Besides the one in his lair (I have to fight the NPC before him to get some loot).

Firelink. Before you ask, yes, that does include the new warps added by the DLC. It's still a massive pain in the rear end to get down to Vamos.

e: I'm wrong. :v:

Arist fucked around with this message at 03:04 on Nov 7, 2012

Buck Turgidson
Feb 6, 2011

𓀬𓀠𓀟𓀡𓀢𓀣𓀤𓀥𓀞𓀬
I hope the next game in the souls series goes back to the way Demon's Souls messaging and bloodstains. Having to bind an item to use messages just means that fewer players bother with them, and the bloodstain ghosts in this game are pretty hard to see sometimes. Anyway I just recently played Demon's Souls and those things stuck out when I went back to Dark Souls. Thank god world tendency is gone!

Oh and closest warp to Nito is the first Tomb of the Giants bonfire, the one near Patches that you can warp to. Or at least I think so.

Also I have never saved Solaire... everyone knows Laurentius and Siggy are the true sunbros.

Buck Turgidson fucked around with this message at 03:05 on Nov 7, 2012

casual poster
Jun 29, 2009

So casual.
I don't think that is one :[ I can't find it

gtrmp
Sep 29, 2008

casual poster posted:

The bonfire right before Patches is warpable. If you can't warp there, you just haven't lit that bonfire yet.

casual poster
Jun 29, 2009

So casual.

gtrmp posted:

The bonfire right before Patches is warpable. If you can't warp there, you just haven't lit that bonfire yet.

Damnit. Thanks.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Dark Bead makes large bosses disgusting easily. I two shot the centipede demon.

e: Anyone figure out gravelord phantoms? I've been cursed three times and never realized it until someone else killed the gravelord. Do they not always appear because of a bug or something?

RBA Starblade fucked around with this message at 03:42 on Nov 7, 2012

Scrree
Jan 16, 2008

the history of all dead generations,

RBA Starblade posted:

e: Anyone figure out gravelord phantoms? I've been cursed three times and never realized it until someone else killed the gravelord. Do they not always appear because of a bug or something?

A developer confirmed that black phantoms only appear for NG+ characters. He also added something like 'Yeah we could have done that a little better' so hopefully in the next D-Souls game they flesh out that mechanic more.

edit: gently caress it, I'll pull the quote:

IGN Article posted:

I asked Miyazaki about some more specific ongoing aspects of Dark Souls play, such as the Gravelord covenant – is it true players can only see the black phantoms in NG+ and above? “That is almost true,” Miyazaki almost answers. “In Dark Souls' design the position of enemies is fixed, so we could have intended to make the effect of Gravelord Covenant a new element seen in the second try after the game's ending. To be honest, I suppose I could have made it better.”

Scrree fucked around with this message at 03:52 on Nov 7, 2012

Nahxela
Oct 11, 2008

Execution

MoonwalkInvincible posted:

Basically, gently caress WoG spammers, but especially gently caress WoG spammers who summon a white phantom WoG spammer.
One time I went into 2v2 PVP Arena Mode. My opponents were a WoG Spammer, his teammate a Pursuers user :negative:
Dodge one, get slammed by the other.

RBA Starblade posted:

Yeah, Gravelord Phantoms are fairly buggy. Apparently they have higher success rates of appearing in NG+(x)?

gtrmp
Sep 29, 2008

Scrree posted:

A developer confirmed that black phantoms only appear for NG+ characters. He also added something like 'Yeah we could have done that a little better' so hopefully in the next D-Souls game they flesh out that mechanic more.

The phantoms might be restricted to NG+ characters, but the Gravelord connection itself definitely isn't. I saw Gravelord symbols twice on my first run with my first character, once in the Parish and once in the Royal Wood.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

gtrmp posted:

The phantoms might be restricted to NG+ characters, but the Gravelord connection itself definitely isn't. I saw Gravelord symbols twice on my first run with my first character, once in the Parish and once in the Royal Wood.

Yeah, that seems to be the case. At least, the gravelord can invaded. I've had them killed without my knowledge on regular NG.

At level 80 what's my best bet for co-op?

e: I'm curious about the Dark Souls' world's layout. Ash Lake shows loads of world-trees and that the whole game takes place on a single one, mostly. The Undead Asylum's not in Lordran, right? Lordran's its own tree? So is the Undead Asylum part of another world-tree? With Lordran you can see the forest and roots almost everywhere, but the asylum's in the middle of a massive mountain range. Oolacile was apparently right next door to Lordran and on the same tree, but I don't think the other nations are.

RBA Starblade fucked around with this message at 04:19 on Nov 7, 2012

Schwartzcough
Aug 12, 2009

Don't tease the Octopus, kids!
So I managed to beat the 4 Kings on my SL1 playthrough. Took me about 20 tries, because the bastards kept spamming their magic moves before I could get close to them, then the Darkwraiths outside would occasionally one-shot me as I got impatient and just ran through every time. When I finally won it only took me 4 Estus flasks.

I had never really invaded before, so I celebrated by trying out my new red eye orb in the depths. I am terrible at PvP, so I was really surprised how many people I managed to kill who were in NG+, decked out in full DLC gear, etc. I guess people really get terrified of invaders.

I ran into one guy who was clearly in NG, so I switched to an unupgraded battle axe, to give him a fair fight. Wow, unupgraded weapons suck. After I'd backstabbed him about 15 times, with him continually running off and healing, it started to feel like I was just being mean. I great combusted him to put him out of his misery. Sorry dude!

raton
Jul 28, 2003

by FactsAreUseless

RBA Starblade posted:

Yeah, that seems to be the case. At least, the gravelord can invaded. I've had them killed without my knowledge on regular NG.

At level 80 what's my best bet for co-op?

e: I'm curious about the Dark Souls' world's layout. Ash Lake shows loads of world-trees and that the whole game takes place on a single one, mostly. The Undead Asylum's not in Lordran, right? Lordran's its own tree? So is the Undead Asylum part of another world-tree? With Lordran you can see the forest and roots almost everywhere, but the asylum's in the middle of a massive mountain range. Oolacile was apparently right next door to Lordran and on the same tree, but I don't think the other nations are.

I think they're actually all on the same bigass tree, just the asylum is on a different branch. I have no evidence for this, it's just my opinion. Anyway, I want to find the little Japanese man that thought that poo poo up and drink a barrel of whiskey with him.

HnK416
Apr 26, 2008

Hot diggity damn!
Just beat Seath for the first time, it was a lot easier than I though it'd be. Just ran behind it constantly whackin' at it's tail. Didn't even drop below half health. Only downside is apparently I wasn't hitting the right spot on the tail, so no Moonlight sword.

FrickenMoron
May 6, 2009

Good game!
You need to hit the very tip.

TaurusOxford
Feb 10, 2009

Dad of the Year 2021

HnK416 posted:

Just beat Seath for the first time, it was a lot easier than I though it'd be. Just ran behind it constantly whackin' at it's tail. Didn't even drop below half health. Only downside is apparently I wasn't hitting the right spot on the tail, so no Moonlight sword.

You have to hit closer to the tip of the tail, not the base of it.

Edit: Beaten. I need to refresh more often.

HnK416
Apr 26, 2008

Hot diggity damn!
Yea, I figured that was the case. Also, hooray for me, I just beat Dark Souls for my very first time! :toot: Gwyn was very fun, despite his apparent ease of cheese, and it was awesome watching Solaire take him out. Gwyn dodged a Lightning Spear just in time for Sunbro to do a leaping attack to his face.
Right, two questions:
What if you Homeward out of the Kiln, and what if you simply quit and restart?

HnK416 fucked around with this message at 08:18 on Nov 7, 2012

lesbian baphomet
Nov 30, 2011

HnK416 posted:

What if you Homeward out of the Kiln, and what if you simply quit and restart?

If you've beaten Gwyn, I think using Homeward takes you to the bonfire that appears in his room. And quit/restart should just leave you wherever you were standing.

I'm not sure of that, though, and Homeward might even be a way to reset the boss fight.

HnK416
Apr 26, 2008

Hot diggity damn!
Yea I wasn't really thinking while I was in the Kiln, and right after Gwyn I thought. "Aww yea, now I can go finish grind-..."

Akuma
Sep 11, 2001

I'm positive Homeward Bone doesn't work. Once you beat him you're stuck.

TaurusOxford
Feb 10, 2009

Dad of the Year 2021

HnK416 posted:

Yea I wasn't really thinking while I was in the Kiln, and right after Gwyn I thought. "Aww yea, now I can go finish grind-..."

Well enjoy grinding on NG+. On the plus side, everything will give you 3-5 times as many souls.

Honest Thief
Jan 11, 2009
What's the level cap for PvPing nowadays?
I've started a new DEX/INT character and I'm thinking about my build. Speaking of which, you can't parry crit Four Kings right? Don't think my dagger will do anything to them then.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TaurusOxford
Feb 10, 2009

Dad of the Year 2021

Honest Thief posted:

What's the level cap for PvPing nowadays?
I've started a new DEX/INT character and I'm thinking about my build. Speaking of which, you can't parry crit Four Kings right? Don't think my dagger will do anything to them then.

100-120 as far as I can tell. Any higher any you're pushing it. As for the kings, your dagger won't do poo poo.

• Locked thread