Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Restaurant de Nouvelles "À Table" Proudly Presents:
A Climactic Encounter Ending on 1 Negate and a Dream

Spincut posted:

Yay, I'm finally preordering 13th Age!

...or at least, I would be, if my card didn't keep getting declined. Hmm.

This happened to me. Your card company might have issue with it because of Pelgrane not being based in the good ol' US of A. I pay for mine through either paypal or amazon payments, can't remember which.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Spincut
Jan 14, 2008

Oh! OSHA gonna make you serve time!
'Cause you an occupational hazard tonight.

ZenMasterBullshit posted:

This happened to me. Your card company might have issue with it because of Pelgrane not being based in the good ol' US of A. I pay for mine through either paypal or amazon payments, can't remember which.

Yeah, I got a call from my bank, verified the attempted charge, then tried again and it worked. Skimming the PDF now and it looks pretty dang awesome.

Pyradox
Oct 23, 2012

...some kind of monster, I think.

Red_Mage posted:

I am so thrilled about Nightfall hitting the tarot deck goal, because while the random icon die, and the icon roll are great, my favorite D&D 'thing' was the way that Ravenloft used a Tarot deck to control adventure elements and setting elements. Getting to make that come to life and interact with the icon system is something I am absolutely thrilled about.

For the record if anyone does like what they see as we work on nightfall, we will have a "late preorder" system in place for the game and all the different extras.

Wait, the Tarot deck is a game mechanic, not just a thematic addon?

That sounds pretty cool. I've got to look into that.

NinjaDebugger
Apr 22, 2008

Pyradox posted:

Wait, the Tarot deck is a game mechanic, not just a thematic addon?

That sounds pretty cool. I've got to look into that.

It's both. Technically you don't HAVE to use a tarot deck. For an example of how something like this works, you can take a look at the original Castle Ravenloft module, or the 4e box set Madness at Gardmore Abbey.

Mustache Ride
Sep 11, 2001

The first of three Paint the Town surveys is up.

Paint the Town Survey 1

ack
Mar 16, 2007
ack ack ack ack

Mustache Ride posted:

The first of three Paint the Town surveys is up.

Paint the Town Survey 1

I just hope Santa Cora gets the hate...

Bedlamdan
Apr 25, 2008

ack posted:

I just hope Santa Cora gets the hate...

It's fine, we're all going to be way too busy voting for Horizon instead. :colbert:

Pyradox
Oct 23, 2012

Bedlamdan posted:

It's fine, we're all going to be way too busy voting for Horizon instead. :colbert:

Horizon sounds awesome, but I'm hoping Drakkenhall comes second because monsters and intrigue are two of the best things.

NinjaDebugger
Apr 22, 2008

Pyradox posted:

Horizon sounds awesome, but I'm hoping Drakkenhall comes second because monsters and intrigue are two of the best things.

Horizon sounds boring as poo poo. I'm pretty much on the side of Drakkenhall and Axis. Axis at least has the Crusader going for it, and the Crusader owns.

Pyradox
Oct 23, 2012

NinjaDebugger posted:

Horizon sounds boring as poo poo. I'm pretty much on the side of Drakkenhall and Axis. Axis at least has the Crusader going for it, and the Crusader owns.

This is true, The Crusader does own. I just like the idea of a city half made of magic and intersecting dimensions. Sounds fun/weird as hell.

Dionysos510
Sep 10, 2012
#1: Horizon
#2: Drakkenhall

I Hate this Town: Santa Cora

"City of Weird Magic" and "City of Monsters" are concepts with tons of possibilities. So is "City of Heavenly Goodness", but it is ten times funnier if it is presented in a relentlessly negative manner.

SageNytell
Sep 28, 2008

<REDACT> THIS!
When I think of their description of Horizon, I think 'Magic EPCOT' which is too good to pass up. Drakkenhall will probably get my vote next time around.

Definitely hoping that Santa Cora gets the 'I hate this town' nod, though.

I made a little bet that it looks like I'm going to lose based on another Kickstarter, though I'll be happy either way, so I may be running a Skype game of 13th Age. Rough premise: "The Priestess' daughter's been kidnapped by the Lich King! Are you bad enough dudes to raid Necropolis and save The Priestess' Daughter?"

Pyradox
Oct 23, 2012

SageNytell posted:

When I think of their description of Horizon, I think 'Magic EPCOT' which is too good to pass up. Drakkenhall will probably get my vote next time around.

Definitely hoping that Santa Cora gets the 'I hate this town' nod, though.

I made a little bet that it looks like I'm going to lose based on another Kickstarter, though I'll be happy either way, so I may be running a Skype game of 13th Age. Rough premise: "The Priestess' daughter's been kidnapped by the Lich King! Are you bad enough dudes to raid Necropolis and save The Priestess' Daughter?"

I can only hope that every single character will be based on an 80s action hero of some kind.

Also it would be funny as hell to see Santa Cora slandered by say, cultists working for the Diabolist. Primarily because the Diabolist to me seems like black comedy incarnate and I hope that's not just my interpretation.

Spincut
Jan 14, 2008

Oh! OSHA gonna make you serve time!
'Cause you an occupational hazard tonight.
I'm going to be running through Blood & Lightning on Friday with my usual group of D&Ders. I'm really excited! Anything about the adventure I should know before going into it?

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!
... poo poo, wrong thread

Fur20 fucked around with this message at 03:53 on Nov 7, 2012

General Ironicus
Aug 21, 2008

Something about this feels kinda hinky
I'm throwing my players into an enclosed space that nobody knows s actually infested with demons. Here's my idea for an encounter in a demon egg clutch.

Eggs are mooks with a 10 for each defense and 5 HP each.
At the start of every round, roll 1d6 for each egg there is. Every result less than or equal to the escalation die value represents 1 egg that hatches into a Dretch (level 3 mook).

The idea is to have the eggs as benign-looking threat, until mooks start pouring out of them. That's why it works like the wood elf racial, but the d6 stays constant. Any thoughts, suggestions?

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

General Ironicus posted:

I'm throwing my players into an enclosed space that nobody knows s actually infested with demons. Here's my idea for an encounter in a demon egg clutch.

Eggs are mooks with a 10 for each defense and 5 HP each.
At the start of every round, roll 1d6 for each egg there is. Every result less than or equal to the escalation die value represents 1 egg that hatches into a Dretch (level 3 mook).

The idea is to have the eggs as benign-looking threat, until mooks start pouring out of them. That's why it works like the wood elf racial, but the d6 stays constant. Any thoughts, suggestions?

1d6 for every egg is a lot of rolling. Just roll 1d6; the lower of that roll or the escalation die in eggs open every round.

General Ironicus
Aug 21, 2008

We play on a virtual tabletop so number of dice doesn't really enter into it, but that does seem a much better solution anyway.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011
Okay, since it's come up in this thread a few times, I tried my hand at putting together a set of Forgotten Realms icons equivalent to the ones in the Escalation Edition. This is circa 1372 DR, the 3e campaign setting's date.

The Archmage: Even though the Escalation Edition suggests Elminster, he's actually a terrible choice. El is a loner with little to no political power base. Khelben Arunsun is the better choice, as he has a substantial amount of followers. Depending upon which way you want to play it, he leads the Moonstars or is a High Harper. The Moonstars are probably a better option, since that gives some friction with any possible Harper icon you might use.
The Emperor: This is probably the hardest one to use in the Realms, as there are no world-spanning empires like the Dragon Empire. The Dragon Empire is pretty small, actually. You're best suited to determine what region of the Realms you're going to play in and figure out who the most prominent source of unitary law & order there. In the Sword Coast North, this is Piergeron and the Lord's Alliance. In the Dalelands, pick your favourite of Mourngrym or Randal Morn. Alusair is simplest as Cormyr's Steel Regent.
The Elf Queen: Queen Amlaruil fits even if the Retreat is over (just reverse that if you want the motivations to exactly match.) Note that Eilistraee's worshipers are permitted on Evermeet (I think this is from Elves of Evermeet or Eilistraee's entry in Demihuman Deities, Elaine might have touched on it in Evermeet: Island of Elves.) If your players are really crazy for drow, consider using Qilue Veladorn instead.
The Dwarf King: This describes Bruenor as of 1373 to a t. There's no real king of all dwarves, unlike for elves, so it comes down to regions again. The Great Rift offers a very prominent dwarven kingdom in the South, and I think there's the remnants of one in the Lands of Intrigue.
The Orc Lord: King Obould Many-Arrows is the best example. If your game isn't set near the Spine of the World, then you'll have to invent one. Thar, for example, could host a grey Orc horde, or it might not be Orcs at all. The Sythilissian Empire would fit very well here for games set in Amn or Tethyr. If you want a real twist, Shou Expatriates (see Unapproachable East) could be an advance force for Yamun Kaman's successor.
The Crusader: Here's a curveball. Use the Zhentarim here. Either Fzoul Chembryl or Sememmon's factions work really well; you'd have to stretch things a little to have Manshoon do this sort of thing. It'll be a bit darker, but the Zhentarim are quite happy to help out local communities towards their own ends.
The Diabolist: Sarya Dlardrageth fits. Soneillon works even better, but only if your game is set in Impiltur (see Champions of Ruin.) Also consider Eltab maybe subverting the Zulkir of Conjuration or something.
The Great Gold Wyrm: Cosmologically, this should be Dendar the Night Serpent. :nyoron: Consider instead emphasizing the holy paladin aspect. High priests of Torm or Tyr work quite well, but a slightly-mad priest of the sunsetting Lathander might work even better. (There's a writeup of this last option in Power of Faerun.)
The High Druid: Again, there's no global druid leader. Easy regional icons are Turlang in the High Forest, the Nentyarch in the Great Dale, or the Emerald Enclave. (For bonus points in 1374 DR or later, you could make a case for Coronal Ilsevele in Cormanthyr.)
The Lich King: Although thematically dissonant, High Prince Telamont fits this really well. You could alternatively use Szass Tam, or Larloch (see Lords of Darkness.) Shoon VII would be a hilariously awesome choice for this.
The Priestess: No one has this big a reach in the Chondathan pantheon. Choose your favourite of Sune/Lathander/Torm/Tyr/Selune/Waukeen/Tymora, use their high priest (there's a listing of these in the 2e deity books.)
The Shadow Prince: Drizzt :suicide: For something less gag-worthy, just make up cults of Finder Wyvernspur for something really fun along these lines. Alternatively, you could use Erevis Cale, or even Elaith Craulnober.
The Three: Pick your favourite dragon or dragon-related organization. (Well, excepting Zunderaezylym or like, Valamaradace.) I'd probably use Tchazzar, the Sisterhood of Essembra, or Jalanvaloss in Waterdeep.

Special note: You can really use the Harpers as a freebie for any heroic or ambiguous icon. Just pick your region, a High Harper that seemed interesting, and theme the local branch as you want. You can settle Mintiper Moonsilver down for an easy icon in the North or around the Sea of Fallen Stars.

Ultimately, the idea of Icons match the Realms' shadowy power structures really well, even if specific ones don't work at all. Just remember it's as much about the organization as the individual icon, and have fun playing the Realms your way.

NinjaDebugger
Apr 22, 2008

Arivia posted:

Ultimately, the idea of Icons match the Realms' shadowy power structures really well, even if specific ones don't work at all. Just remember it's as much about the organization as the individual icon, and have fun playing the Realms your way.

Or you could abandon trying to force the powerful people and organizations of FR into the standard set of icons and make each appropriately powerful organization its own Icon.

100 degrees Calcium
Jan 23, 2011

Either way would work. There's nothing wrong with establishing equivalents. The Icons are some very recognizable fantasy adventure archetypes, and I think FR benefits from that. It may help people newer to the setting identify with it as well.

Strontosaurus
Sep 11, 2001

Do you guys have any tips for running a 13A campaign with absolutely minimal preparation? I volunteered to run a game but realistically I'm too busy to do more than like an hour of prep work each wee. I'm pretty good at improvisation but usually I run more rules-lite games.

waderockett
Apr 22, 2012

Strontosaurus posted:

Do you guys have any tips for running a 13A campaign with absolutely minimal preparation? I volunteered to run a game but realistically I'm too busy to do more than like an hour of prep work each wee. I'm pretty good at improvisation but usually I run more rules-lite games.

The revised icon relationship rules in EE v5, along with the PC's backgrounds and One Unique Things, might take care of a lot of the heavy lifting for you. At the beginning of each session, roll to see which icons get involved (or roll at the end of the previous session so you have time to think about it.) Each monster is associated with an icon, so those rolls could also tell you what sorts of creatures will show up.

Spincut posted:

I'm going to be running through Blood & Lightning on Friday with my usual group of D&Ders. I'm really excited! Anything about the adventure I should know before going into it?

When I ran it, I changed a few things to give the players more freedom to act and more chances to be badasses. For example, there's a powerful authority figure giving orders to the PCs in the adventure, and I had her knocked out by a chunk of falling masonry as soon as trouble started so the party could take command. I also had a slew of mooks descend the tower to meet the party halfway up the stairs so it wasn't just, "You run and run and run, and arrive just in time to see the bad guy fly away."

Also: true magic items in 13th Age are cool, so have fun with Glaezentorg.

IN ADDITION: Thanks, guys, for the advice on my own upcoming campaign. Here it is on Obsidian Portal:

http://www.obsidianportal.com/campaigns/blackmarch

http://www.obsidianportal.com/campaigns/blackmarch/campaign_forum_topics/appendix-n

100 degrees Calcium
Jan 23, 2011

I have a question for those of you more experienced with PbP games. The Icon Relationship rules promote rolling to see which relationships will play a role in the session. For a PbP game, what would you use in place of a session?

General Ironicus
Aug 21, 2008

Full heal-ups could take that place, they're already such a natural place to break sessions.

waderockett
Apr 22, 2012

The White Dragon posted:

... poo poo, wrong thread

However, it did prompt me to download the Skull & Shackles Player's Guide in case it has piratical ideas I can steal for my 13th Age campaign.

Strontosaurus
Sep 11, 2001

waderockett posted:

The revised icon relationship rules in EE v5, along with the PC's backgrounds and One Unique Things, might take care of a lot of the heavy lifting for you. At the beginning of each session, roll to see which icons get involved (or roll at the end of the previous session so you have time to think about it.) Each monster is associated with an icon, so those rolls could also tell you what sorts of creatures will show up.

Thanks! I'll let you guys know how it turns out. First session should be this Sunday. The party right now is a musical glass automaton set free from the palace of the Elf Queen, a paladin of the Lich King with a sweet skeletal arm and a lust for power, and a gnome pirate-sorcerer whose incredibly vague Unique is that he's "The Fire First Mate of the Sea," prompting me to establish that all gnomes are aquatic/sea-faring (and fond of snatching) and that halflings - rumored to be anciently related to the current gnomes - are completely extinct (if in fact they ever existed).

moths
Aug 25, 2004

I would also still appreciate some danger.

waderockett posted:

When I ran it, I changed a few things to give the players more freedom to act and more chances to be badasses.

Run-as-written, this adventure was the low point of the playtest (which we otherwise enjoyed). Canned adventures are always a drag, but I think we were instructed not to go too-far off-script and man...

-Deliberate fake-out wastes of player's time!
-Accompany this NPC as she does the adventure for you!
-Videogame cutscenes in which the villains are invincible!
-Nothing that makes 13th Age unique!

If we hadn't played a few sessions before, I'm sure my players would have been less excited about the system. Please reconsider just tearing these pages out and putting more monsters in.

Or put a sidebar in encouraging DMs to use this adventure only as a suggestion, and affirm that they can change it up to allow the players more participation! New DMs may not realize that! (Or by-the-book DMs - whether it's because it's a playtest or they just roll that way.)

moths fucked around with this message at 03:23 on Nov 8, 2012

Bedlamdan
Apr 25, 2008

Strontosaurus posted:

all gnomes are aquatic/sea-faring (and fond of snatching) and that halflings - rumored to be anciently related to the current gnomes - are completely extinct (if in fact they ever existed).

I am stealing that for my game. drat, that actually makes them interesting.

waderockett
Apr 22, 2012

moths posted:

Please reconsider just tearing these pages out and putting more monsters in.

Or put a sidebar in encouraging DMs to use this adventure only as a suggestion, and affirm that they can change it up to allow the players more participation! New DMs may not realize that! (Or by-the-book DMs - whether it's because it's a playtest or they just roll that way.)

Rob is revising the adventure based on the playtest feedback as well as his demo experiences at Gen Con and PAX. He says the adventure in the published game won't be railroad-y and will showcase what makes 13th Age unique.

moths
Aug 25, 2004

I would also still appreciate some danger.

Ok, e xcellent. I may have made the exact same post earlier in this thread with the same response, this feels very deja vu-y.

Tollymain
Jul 9, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I have an idea for a One Unique Thing, but I'm not sure it's necessarily OUT material...

This is Rodrigo Santiago del Maestro de la Danza, the self-proclaimed greatest dancer (and possibly greatest ego) the Empire has ever known.
His tentative OUT is that he actually is the best dancer in history, nobody actually knows it yet at the start of the campaign :ssh:

Etherwind
Apr 22, 2008
Probation
Can't post for 41 days!
Soiled Meat
If that's not One Unique Thing material, I don't know what is.

long-ass nips Diane
Dec 13, 2010

Breathe.

Drakkenhall, more like Drakkenballs

Dionysos510
Sep 10, 2012
I was hoping for Horizon, but Drakkenhall was my second choice so I'm not that disappointed. And Horizon was a close second. Let's push it over the top on the next one!

Mors Rattus
Oct 25, 2007

FATAL & Friends
Walls of Text
#1 Builder
2014-2018

Three Supremacy, as always. Horizon's cool, but I just love the Three.

Overemotional Robot
Mar 16, 2008

Robotor just hasn't been the same since 9/11...
I personally voted for Drakkenhall, as I think it's got a lot of potential. I've been flavoring it as a city inside a massive dungeon that is always shifting, so it is impossible to map. Stores can disappear for days, people can be trapped in their homes only to appear on the other side of the city days later, and underneath it all is the most massive treasure horde of all time.

Bedlamdan
Apr 25, 2008
Santa Cora is in last place, where it belongs. :dance:

NinjaDebugger
Apr 22, 2008

Overemotional Robot posted:

I personally voted for Drakkenhall, as I think it's got a lot of potential. I've been flavoring it as a city inside a massive dungeon that is always shifting, so it is impossible to map. Stores can disappear for days, people can be trapped in their homes only to appear on the other side of the city days later, and underneath it all is the most massive treasure horde of all time.

It certainly has more potential than yet another wizard city based on an Escher painting.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ack
Mar 16, 2007
ack ack ack ack

NinjaDebugger posted:

It certainly has more potential than yet another wizard city based on an Escher painting.

Agree with this, it's the reason I'll be voting for Axis in the second round. I'd love the contrast between chaotic monster town and the empire's capital.
Santa Cora seems well placed in it's way to get the hate.

• Locked thread