Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Fluffdaddy
Jan 3, 2009

Anyone have any tips on getting the NES Zapper to work on a LCD HDTV or am I just poo poo out of luck?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zeether
Aug 26, 2011

Neddy Seagoon posted:

How rare/pricy is a complete Shenmue in the US, out of curiosity?
Mine is probably worth way less because of the crack :( I'm not planning on selling it though because Shenmue owns and you can play Space Harrier in it.

Fluffdaddy posted:

Anyone have any tips on getting the NES Zapper to work on a LCD HDTV or am I just poo poo out of luck?
You're SOL, unfortunately. The Zapper needs a CRT to work because of the way it reads light. GunCons are also useless with LCD TVs for the same reason.

Zeether fucked around with this message at 22:33 on Nov 8, 2012

Hit or miss Clitoris
Apr 19, 2003
I HAVE BEEN A VERY NAUGHTY BOY

Fluffdaddy posted:

SOL, the NES Zapper won't work off of a CRT. I know how it feels, I've had Baby Boomer and Gumshoe for months and I won't ever get to play them, far as I can tell.

SUPER HASSLER
Jan 31, 2005

Vaerai Archon posted:

So I just got a big haul for free. Someone gave me an Apple II with a few dozen games with it, complete with the old as hell Apple printer and monitor. There's roughly 7 boxes worth of stuff but there's a load of Adventure games on 5 1/4 floppy disks.

Cool! I still have a weakness for old A2 crap.

Fluffdaddy
Jan 3, 2009

Hit or miss Clitoris posted:

SOL, the NES Zapper won't work off of a CRT. I know how it feels, I've had Baby Boomer and Gumshoe for months and I won't ever get to play them, far as I can tell.

:(. I guess I am going to have to buy one of these:

and hook it up using these:

to truly recreate me playing the NES in 1985 :smith:

al-azad
May 28, 2009

SUPER HASSLER posted:

Cool! I still have a weakness for old A2 crap.

Apple 2 was amazing back in the day because the UI was so crisp and sharp. There's only one way to play Might and Magic 1 and that's on an A2.

Code Jockey
Jan 24, 2006

69420 basic bytes free

Fluffdaddy posted:

See, this guy gets the spirit of the thread. :v:

Emulation can't reproduce... that.

Growing up, the stand my TV sat on had a little shelf and it was STUFFED with those RF GAME/TV switches. Stuffed. I have no idea where my dad got them. :psyduck:

[unless he's like me, and just used to buy up poo poo just in case, like I hoard things now]

EgillSkallagrimsson
May 6, 2007

Code Jockey posted:

Growing up, the stand my TV sat on had a little shelf and it was STUFFED with those RF GAME/TV switches. Stuffed. I have no idea where my dad got them. :psyduck:

[unless he's like me, and just used to buy up poo poo just in case, like I hoard things now]

If your house was like mine, every single one would have been missing at least one of the Y connectors, too.:argh:

moron izzard
Nov 17, 2006

Grimey Drawer

Code Jockey posted:

emulators with hlsl support can. I don't know why you would but you can push it to that level of degradation if you want.

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

EgillSkallagrimsson posted:

If your house was like mine, every single one would have been missing at least one of the Y connectors, too.:argh:

You just fix that with a bit of stripped copper wire and electrical tape.

Or at least that's how I fixed it.

Code Jockey
Jan 24, 2006

69420 basic bytes free

Robolizard! posted:

emulators with hlsl support can. I don't know why you would but you can push it to that level of degradation if you want.

Personally? I kind of like how signal degradation looks, though that's pure nostalgia. Kind of miss what a proper old cheap CRT TV with RF would do to my NES's signal and how it'd make games look, you know? And there are those games designed with those effects in mind, can't remember which ones but certain color choices/combinations were picked due to how they'd end up looking, or something like that.

Nowadays, my preferred visual enhancement of choice is scanlines, but sparingly. Not so much with NES games, but TG16 and NeoGeo? yes please.

Zeether
Aug 26, 2011

RF switches are worse when the console requires them due to some loving stupid proprietary jack (Magnavox Odyssey and its Pong twin the Wonder Wizard) or the RF switch itself is hardwired into the console or part of the power supply :gonk:

Code Jockey
Jan 24, 2006

69420 basic bytes free
The RF switch that came with the TI-99 I bought is the largest goddamn RF switch I have ever seen. It is also busted or the console is, because video output is all weird. One of my many projects, to fix someday.

But yeah. I could swing that thing around as a weapon.

cosmicjim
Mar 23, 2010
VISIT THE STICKIED GOON HOLIDAY CHARITY DRIVE THREAD IN GBS.

Goons are changing the way children get an education in Haiti.

Edit - Oops, no they aren't. They donated to doobie instead.

Random Stranger posted:

You just fix that with a bit of stripped copper wire and electrical tape.

Or at least that's how I fixed it.

I just wrapped the exposed copper wire directly around the screw on the TV.

Chumbawumba4ever97
Dec 31, 2000

by Fluffdaddy
Thought you guys might like this rom

http://retroquestgames.com/archives/835

cosmicjim
Mar 23, 2010

Aside from the technical aspect of it, graphically that is a piss poor representation of what a 16 bit update should be. And if you don't agree, think about what 16 bit mario from SMW actually looks like, and look at the original donkey kong to see how menacing he was compared this shabby update.

Fluffdaddy
Jan 3, 2009

cosmicjim posted:

Aside from the technical aspect of it, graphically that is a piss poor representation of what a 16 bit update should be. And if you don't agree, think about what 16 bit mario from SMW actually looks like, and look at the original donkey kong to see how menacing he was compared this shabby update.

Way to suck the fun out of that neat little update.

Code Jockey posted:

Better than my dad:

:argh: You're going to mess the TV up with that game system!

Chumbawumba4ever97
Dec 31, 2000

by Fluffdaddy

cosmicjim posted:

I was posting from my phone from class; I didn't have a chance to play it. It was just released; sorry :shobon:

cosmicjim
Mar 23, 2010

Miyamotos RGB NES posted:

I was posting from my phone from class; I didn't have a chance to play it. It was just released; sorry :shobon:

Just making discussion:) And offering an opinion. No reason to apologize.

codenameFANGIO
May 4, 2012

What are you even booing here?

I liked everything except Mario himself (who they should really make sure looks as good as possible). I understand that they're basing it exclusively on the original game, and under those merits , DK and Pauline look great. The whole thing really reminds me artwise of Double Dragon Neon on XBLA, which has a very 80's, punky kinda vibe.

But drat, Mario. Horrible. Besides that it looks like a fun idea and I am going to play it at least once!

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Fluffdaddy posted:

You don't need an RF Switch. (Not unless the CRT you buy has screw connections for the prongs in the picture you showed, and god help you if you do because they're crap). You can get a cable that has a standard coaxial plug on one end and an RF antenna socket on the other. Just connect the coaxial plug to the Nintendo's RF-out port and the other to the TV's RF socket (All the RF switch was ever for was so you could switch between the TV and the console).

Fluffdaddy
Jan 3, 2009

Neddy Seagoon posted:

You don't need an RF Switch. (Not unless the CRT you buy has screw connections for the prongs in the picture you showed, and god help you if you do because they're crap). You can get a cable that has a standard coaxial plug on one end and an RF antenna socket on the other. Just connect the coaxial plug to the Nintendo's RF-out port and the other to the TV's RF socket (All the RF switch was ever for was so you could switch between the TV and the console).

I was making a joke. I am over 30 and remember how video games work.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Fluffdaddy posted:

I was making a joke. I am over 30 and remember how video games work.

Ah, sorry. Just trying to be helpful.

iastudent
Apr 22, 2008

Alright, I finally pulled myself away from the Wizardry Online beta long enough to snap some shots of the COYAs. You'll have to forgive some differences in quality, my camera is old and sucks rear end and I don't know where I stowed my scanner for now.

For starters, here's the back covers since I already showed the front. It may be hard to tell but the one for Wiz 3 shows a mage being chased by some pig-demon lady.

Something interesting if you take off the dust jackets. 2 gets some more cover artwork while 3 gets... just a title. :geno:

Table of contents and copyright info for 2 and 3, respectively. Also I changed to my table cause the lighting in my "game room" is awful and the camera flash kept obscuring the text.

The Dramatis personć for 2 and 3. I'm sensing some twin shenanigans are happening in 2 based on the main char's portrait and the one underneath that.

2 has some pretty drat :black101: art for monster encounters.

3 gets some action as well, but that's not all...

3 also has... other things. :stare:

As well as halflings melting. At least, I hope that's just a halfling. :stonk:

Finally, the end pages of both books have what look like stat tables, which makes me wonder if the books function similarly to the Fighting Fantasy series.

I'm itching to get these fully scanned but I'm out of town most of this weekend so I won't be able to get started on it until sometime next week. Also, if anyone happens to by chance have a copy of the Wiz I book or knows where to get a copy, I'll gladly make you a deal for it. :shobon:

al-azad
May 28, 2009

iastudent posted:

3 also has... other things. :stare:

Stay classy, Japan!

Katana Gomai
Jan 14, 2007

"Thus," concluded Miyamoto, "you must give up everything you have to be my disciple."

That's a Boa Constrictor (altough it's not doing a very good job constricting), The Internet has just ruined your mind.

Quidthulhu
Dec 17, 2003

Stand down, men! It's only smooching!

SARGSS town!

Shipping Preference Would prefer Non-International (USA only.)
Consoles: NES, SNES, Genesis, Dreamcast, N64, Saturn, PS2, PS1, Gamecube, DS, GBA
Favorite genres of game: I like obscure RPGs. And quirky games. And anything fun and weird that might be enjoyable.
Any specific requests: IF I were to go out on a limb: I really want a TG-16. I have always found the system interesting, but have no idea where to start and have never played one. It's on my "to branch into" list, but I realize it might be a longshot with the pricepoint. :) Other than that, anything that might be interesting would be rad. I am working on getting a complete Genesis collection sometime in the future, so random Genesis games would be fun!

Awesomonster
Feb 26, 2008

Because there's always an ending.
Man, if I had the money, I'd buy everyone who wanted one a TG-16. I actually technically have two, my brother stole mine (mainly to play Order of the Griffon again, which I kindly bought for him after he stole it because he forgot he sold our original copy <:mad:>) so I made him eat the cost of a replacement. If I ever get mine back (or buy a Duo someday), I'm definitely going to send the spare to someone in here who needs one.

Chumbawumba4ever97
Dec 31, 2000

by Fluffdaddy

Awesomonster posted:

Man, if I had the money, I'd buy everyone who wanted one a TG-16. I actually technically have two, my brother stole mine (mainly to play Order of the Griffon again, which I kindly bought for him after he stole it because he forgot he sold our original copy <:mad:>) so I made him eat the cost of a replacement. If I ever get mine back (or buy a Duo someday), I'm definitely going to send the spare to someone in here who needs one.

I'll buy it/trade for one in a heartbeat.

The guy who did my NES RGB mod swears he knows the permanent fix for the PC Engine CD ROM (I recall you guys telling me not to get it due to them being very defective). I'll see if he's cool with telling me how he does it!

EgillSkallagrimsson
May 6, 2007

cosmicjim posted:

I just wrapped the exposed copper wire directly around the screw on the TV.

Same here. Some of the positions that those old TV's placed those screws in made it a huge pain sometimes, though.

Fluffdaddy posted:

Better than my dad:

:argh: You're going to mess the TV up with that game system!

This, too. It took me until the SNES era to convince my parents to let me hook my game system up to the "good" tv instead of some ancient pos yard sale find. It was a glorious day when I finally got to ditch rf adapters forever.

Genpei Turtle
Jul 20, 2007

Katana Gomai posted:

That's a Boa Constrictor (altough it's not doing a very good job constricting), The Internet has just ruined your mind.

No, it's just Japan. That caption pretty much confirms it. Especially the part at the end where it outright says "SEXY!"

HKR
Jan 13, 2006

there is no universe where duke nukem would not be a trans ally

EgillSkallagrimsson posted:

Same here. Some of the positions that those old TV's placed those screws in made it a huge pain sometimes, though.

This, too. It took me until the SNES era to convince my parents to let me hook my game system up to the "good" tv instead of some ancient pos yard sale find. It was a glorious day when I finally got to ditch rf adapters forever.

My parents refused to let me have more then one game system hooked up at the time because they thought more wires = instant fire. Their concern wasn't too many things improperly plugged into wall sockets, their concern was too many power and av cords next to each other could spontaneously combust at any second.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

HKR posted:

My parents refused to let me have more then one game system hooked up at the time because they thought more wires = instant fire. Their concern wasn't too many things improperly plugged into wall sockets, their concern was too many power and av cords next to each other could spontaneously combust at any second.

You were the lucky kid that had both a Nintendo and a Sega/Playstation console at the same time, weren't you? :negative:

the wizards beard
Apr 15, 2007
Reppin

4 LIFE 4 REAL
In Europe we had these

I had a few of these chained into each other. I always wondered what "Spiel" meant.

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

:hmmorks: :orks:

It means "game" in German. :ms:

Silhouette
Nov 16, 2002

SONIC BOOM!!!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2ChjLMbXVrU

This one's for you, Hamburglar :v:

Kilazar
Mar 23, 2010
My friend is always looking out for me. He doesn't collect, but he knows I do.

quote:

From the clist add he linked me

i have a super nintendo entertainment system power cord av cable and 3 controllers
it all works but its old so u have to turn it off and on a couple time to get the
game to play

castlevania dracula X
batman forever
bubsy 2
top gear 2
f-zero
super mario world
donkey kong country
super baseball 2020
dr franken
animaniacs
nba jam
ncaa football
super mario all stars
family fued

He just dropped the bag on my doorstep this morning. The Dracula x has no label, but I think from the way the marker was applied, that it really is an original. The marker shows ware the same as the non markered surface areas of the cartridge. So either it was applied a long time ago when the label got borked, or this dude was a really good con artist. I'll test tonight to see if it works!

The super mario all stars is the dual cart that has super mario world as well!

He paid this dude $50 for the lot. Called it my christmas present :D If dracula x actually works, I will need to find a good site to get a reproduction label made.

Kilazar fucked around with this message at 17:17 on Nov 9, 2012

Zaii
Nov 6, 2005

Check it out, I downloaded a little dance!

Saoshyant posted:

It means "game" in German. :ms:

Or, PLAY.

Set your RF unit stun PLAY :D

Katana Gomai
Jan 14, 2007

"Thus," concluded Miyamoto, "you must give up everything you have to be my disciple."

Genpei Turtle posted:

No, it's just Japan. That caption pretty much confirms it. Especially the part at the end where it outright says "SEXY!"

Can you translate the whole thing because my Japanese isn't good enough for that and I can't make out where it's supposed to say that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Doug Dinsdale
Aug 31, 2003

Shorts
Comfy: {Yes}
Easy to Wear: {Yes}
Alright, we're good to go! :neckbeard:

Katana Gomai posted:

Can you translate the whole thing because my Japanese isn't good enough for that and I can't make out where it's supposed to say that.

193: The constrictors slithered and bound Asha’s (sp) snug body. Gulp… Sexy…

• Locked thread