Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Luchadork
Feb 18, 2010

Take a look at the masked man
Beating up the wrong guy
Oh man! Wonder if he'll ever know
Chris Benoit killed his family
Ugh, I think my Droid Incredible 2 may have just poo poo the bed for no reason.

It's rooted, running Aeroevan's CM9 rom and has been for some time. Never had any issues, ran fine under heavy use all day.

I just went to check it before bed and it was running really slow, like obviously "something is wrong" slow. I tried to reboot and it locked up, so I did a battery pull. It does the same thing every time I boot it: slow, slow, locks up.

Tried running a recovery from Wednesday, same thing. Ran a reallllly old recovery just to see what it would do, same thing.

Any advice?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fuzz
Jun 2, 2003

Avatar brought to you by the TG Sanity fund
I'm having a weird issue with tethering all of a sudden.

I'm on an HTC Thunderbolt running the last version of LiquidSmooth ROM, and Open Garden (which was usually perfectly fine for it before on my Sense root) is no longer working... I looked on the relevant threads for LiquidSmooth, but apparently the developer threw a tantrum and stopped developing for all HTC platforms, so I have no idea what's going on... I'm not using any encryption, have the app set to my phone, and my laptop is registering the network as visible, but when it tries to connect, it very quickly gets a failure message and the log in Open Garden doesn't even show an attempted connection. It has Superuser permission and everything, so I dunno wtf.

Arriviste
Sep 10, 2010

Gather. Grok. Create.

Now pick up what you can
and run.

Require More Fire posted:

Ugh, I think my Droid Incredible 2 may have just poo poo the bed for no reason.

It's rooted, running Aeroevan's CM9 rom and has been for some time. Never had any issues, ran fine under heavy use all day.

I just went to check it before bed and it was running really slow, like obviously "something is wrong" slow. I tried to reboot and it locked up, so I did a battery pull. It does the same thing every time I boot it: slow, slow, locks up.

Tried running a recovery from Wednesday, same thing. Ran a reallllly old recovery just to see what it would do, same thing.

Any advice?

Could the memory card be a factor?

NiVRaM88
May 19, 2009

Zero VGS posted:

This has nothing to do with being rooted as you correctly deduced so I have no idea why it's not in the prepaid thread. GrooveIP ($5 on market) or Talkatone (free on market) will let you place 4G/Wifi calls for free. You will need a Google Voice number to use either. You can get a free number and make outgoing calls from that if you'd like to keep incoming MMS functionality. But then your free outgoing calls will confuse friends if they pay attention to caller ID. MMS is loving stupid anyways and there's a million better ways to send media, so I'd just as soon port to GV.

Thanks for the advice. I posted here in hopes that there was a more seamless solution using the default dialer that required root or was baked into some ROM, but perhaps not.

I don't consider carrying another phone a practical solution, and I don't plan on cutting off all my iphone friends that send group MMS or random picture messages. Really I'm looking for a solution that "Just Works". I may take your advice though and ride it out with tmobile. The vonage app is serviceable for outgoing calls, and 10 cents/min overages still would equate to a far cheaper contract.

Luchadork
Feb 18, 2010

Beating up the wrong guy

Arriviste posted:

Could the memory card be a factor?

Thought of that and tried restoring/booting without it, didn't make a difference.

Here's where I'm at; if anyone has a clue, I'd appreciate it:

Currently I'm back on my CM9 ROM and it's working. What I did was install a build of Sense 4 w/ ICS that's out there for the Inc2 (ViperICS). It installed fine and restored my Google account and apps without a hitch. Ran fine. I then restored my CM9 nandroid and everything is now working smooth.

What I'm realizing is that this issue started almost 24 hours after I had ORIGINALLY installed ViperINC, decided I didn't like it, and restored to CM9. Then last night almost around 24 hours after the fact the weirdness started.

Is it possible one ROM can leave poo poo that would gently caress things up later? If so how can I wipe in a manner that assures everything is gone?

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

Thought of that and tried restoring/booting without it, didn't make a difference.

Here's where I'm at; if anyone has a clue, I'd appreciate it:

Currently I'm back on my CM9 ROM and it's working. What I did was install a build of Sense 4 w/ ICS that's out there for the Inc2 (ViperICS). It installed fine and restored my Google account and apps without a hitch. Ran fine. I then restored my CM9 nandroid and everything is now working smooth.

What I'm realizing is that this issue started almost 24 hours after I had ORIGINALLY installed ViperINC, decided I didn't like it, and restored to CM9. Then last night almost around 24 hours after the fact the weirdness started.

Is it possible one ROM can leave poo poo that would gently caress things up later? If so how can I wipe in a manner that assures everything is gone?
There's no way that can happen assuming you fully wiped data in between (which you'd have to do). There's also no way a nandroid restore can inherit problems from things done after it was made.

I suspect but have no way to verify that you have bad/failing flash storage from the way you're describing things. It definitely seems hardware-related.

Luchadork
Feb 18, 2010

Beating up the wrong guy

LastInLine posted:

There's no way that can happen assuming you fully wiped data in between (which you'd have to do). There's also no way a nandroid restore can inherit problems from things done after it was made.

I suspect but have no way to verify that you have bad/failing flash storage from the way you're describing things. It definitely seems hardware-related.

When I flash/restore I use the Rom Manager options to wipe data/cache. Is there another level of data wipe I should be doing?

As for the flash storage, I assume you mean the on-board storage?

track day bro!
Feb 17, 2005

#essereFerrari
Grimey Drawer
Ugh, so somebody gave me an old samsung galaxy i9000 which I found out is able to take cm9.

Followed the guide here upto the point where I flashed the the kernel with heimdall so I could get into recovery. Only thing is it never goes into recovery it would just constantly flash up the initial boot screen and then boot up normaly. Then it would get stuck in a bootloop.

After googling around I found this which I attempted to follow. Which involved flashing another std rom onto the phone, I did this and its some korean rom I think? But now none of the hardware buttons work apart from the power one and i cant get back into download mode because the buttons dont work.

So have I completely hosed this phone up?

nimper
Jun 19, 2003

livin' in a hopium den

a big fwiggen terd posted:

Ugh, so somebody gave me an old samsung galaxy i9000 which I found out is able to take cm9.

Followed the guide here upto the point where I flashed the the kernel with heimdall so I could get into recovery. Only thing is it never goes into recovery it would just constantly flash up the initial boot screen and then boot up normaly. Then it would get stuck in a bootloop.

After googling around I found this which I attempted to follow. Which involved flashing another std rom onto the phone, I did this and its some korean rom I think? But now none of the hardware buttons work apart from the power one and i cant get back into download mode because the buttons dont work.

So have I completely hosed this phone up?

You have not, and you can spend a few bucks to buy a USB jig that will force download mode. This will come in handy if you want to try other roms too.

Any of these will do (and you can find them in other locales if need be)

http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=sr_nr_i_0?rh=k%3Adownload+mode+jig%2Ci%3Aelectronics&keywords=download+mode+jig&ie=UTF8&qid=1352479832

track day bro!
Feb 17, 2005

#essereFerrari
Grimey Drawer

nimper posted:

You have not, and you can spend a few bucks to buy a USB jig that will force download mode. This will come in handy if you want to try other roms too.

Any of these will do (and you can find them in other locales if need be)

http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=sr_nr_i_0?rh=k%3Adownload+mode+jig%2Ci%3Aelectronics&keywords=download+mode+jig&ie=UTF8&qid=1352479832

Ah thats a big help, i'll order one of those now. :thumbsup:

Vin BioEthanol
Jan 18, 2002

by Ralp
If I have an app that I've configured to my liking and it stores those config settings in an xml file in /data/data/appname, is there a way I can re-pack the whole thing as an apk that includes my settings so that I can send an apk to my wife or friends who are non-rooted and have them just instantly be setup the same as I am?

I know an apk is a zip file, would it be just as simple as dropping that xml file somewhere into the original apk?

Titanium has something to "send backup" or soemthing but that would require them to be rooted with tibu.

Dark Solux
Dec 8, 2004

Old School Saturn God
Has anyone tried using Roam Control on a Note 2? It doesn't seem to work and occasionally will cause a ANR to the android.phone (or something to that affect) process. I have root so I know that part is working fine. It doesn't seem to matter which phone I have selected, I tried GS3, Samsung, Nexus, Other, doesn't seem to make a difference.

Fuzz
Jun 2, 2003

Avatar brought to you by the TG Sanity fund
So what ROM are the handful of Thunderbolt goons using nowadays? More importantly, do all the core features (3G/4G, GPS, camera) actually work on it?

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

When I flash/restore I use the Rom Manager options to wipe data/cache. Is there another level of data wipe I should be doing?

As for the flash storage, I assume you mean the on-board storage?
It sounds like you're wiping correctly and yes, I mean the onboard storage.

jfreder
Feb 27, 2008
What's the consensus on CM10 for the Nexus (VZW)? I finally just rooted mine so I could install AdAway but since I already had Titanium Backup and Rom Manager from when I kept CM on my OG Droid, I was wondering if it would be worth it to try out the CM10 nightlies. Any other ROMs worth picking instead of CM?

WebDO
Sep 25, 2009

jfreder posted:

What's the consensus on CM10 for the Nexus (VZW)? I finally just rooted mine so I could install AdAway but since I already had Titanium Backup and Rom Manager from when I kept CM on my OG Droid, I was wondering if it would be worth it to try out the CM10 nightlies. Any other ROMs worth picking instead of CM?

CM10 is incredibly stable on the VZW GNex, and the third monthly should come out in a day or two if you want to start with the "more stable" build. It's not to say the nightlies are unstable, but the monthly builds are supposed to have even more bug fixing/etc. I hesitantly stepped into the realm of CM10 and I can unequivocally say that I want to go back in time and punch myself in the face for my hesitation. CM10 made the GNex an entirely different phone for me, better on all fronts.

Dr. Despair
Nov 4, 2009

39 perfect posts with each roll.

jfreder posted:

If you want a more stock experience check out http://www.peteralfonso.com/ . Very stable, nothing fancy.

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

They just reverted to the stock 4.1.2 kernel due to CM10 being so sluggish on the Galaxy Nexus. It will be in the next nightly. I'm running an experimental build of the 110912 nightly with the AOSP kernel and it's pretty obvious why they're doing it. Hopefully they'll have all the kernel mods put back in by the time the M3 drops.

DaveKap
Feb 5, 2006

Pickle: Inspected.

So I'm trying to get my HTC EVO 3D into S-OFF. It's HBOOT 1.58, unlocked, rooted, and I'm using the wire trick from this video:
http://youtu.be/tRj47iFQvbE?t=4m36s
The problem is, if you look at the timestamp from that video, you'll see the "waiting device..." dialogue that eventually gets to 10/45. Unfortunately, for me, it just keeps hitting 45 and retrying over and over. Although the phone normally shows up in my device manager as My HTC, it's missing while JuopunutBear is on my screen. The phone connects (My Computer sees it as a drive) but it's not showing up according to whatever else is trying to read it, I guess? Can anyone help me out here?
Edit: Here's a picture of what happens.

DaveKap fucked around with this message at 04:57 on Nov 11, 2012

tonic
Jan 4, 2003

Anyone else running CM10 (nightlies) on a SGS3? Does your battery life suck or is it just me?

I finally disabled maps and that seems to have helped some, but I get 5+ percent of battery drain/hour even without that. Seems "Android System" is 2nd biggest utilizer behind the screen. This happens even with a fresh install with only a few apps running the default launcher.

Thinking I should just go back to stock, but I really really hate Touchwiz :argh:

Civil
Apr 21, 2003

Do you see this? This means "Have a nice day".

DaveKap posted:

So I'm trying to get my HTC EVO 3D into S-OFF. It's HBOOT 1.58, unlocked, rooted, and I'm using the wire trick from this video:
http://youtu.be/tRj47iFQvbE?t=4m36s
The problem is, if you look at the timestamp from that video, you'll see the "waiting device..." dialogue that eventually gets to 10/45. Unfortunately, for me, it just keeps hitting 45 and retrying over and over. Although the phone normally shows up in my device manager as My HTC, it's missing while JuopunutBear is on my screen. The phone connects (My Computer sees it as a drive) but it's not showing up according to whatever else is trying to read it, I guess? Can anyone help me out here?

Do you have HTC sync installed? If so, get rid of it. When I did the wire trick when I had a sensation, the only drivers I had installed were the android SDK and the bare minimum to get ADB running.

The wire trick kicked my rear end and it took over an hour to finally get the timing right, along with needing to fashion an insulated wire, like they show. Hardest root I've ever done.

DaveKap
Feb 5, 2006

Civil posted:

Do you have HTC sync installed? If so, get rid of it. When I did the wire trick when I had a sensation, the only drivers I had installed were the android SDK and the bare minimum to get ADB running.

The wire trick kicked my rear end and it took over an hour to finally get the timing right, along with needing to fashion an insulated wire, like they show. Hardest root I've ever done.
I did have it installed, getting rid of it, and sync manager, now.
And now I have to reimage my phone because every time this stupid thing happens there's no way to boot back up. Weeeee...
Edit: Still doing the same thing. :( Guess I need to wipe every ADB related thing off my computer huh.. Seriously, I already have wire and the trick looks like it'll be no problem, it's everything leading UP to the trick that's taken 4 hours out of my Saturday. This is such a pain in the rear end.

Edit2: So I'm reading elsewhere that if I have the phone unlocked, I don't need S-Off anyway because the unlock/root combo allows me to flash whatever I want anyway. Is this true?

Edit3: I guess it is required, because the CleanROM I tried got stuck in a reboot loop and now I can't get any ROMs to work because when they flash on, I get stuck on the HTC logo. gently caress. :( (Edit4: Fixed via recovery. I'm taking a break from this poo poo.)

DaveKap fucked around with this message at 09:00 on Nov 11, 2012

Darkwing_Duck
Aug 22, 2002

Boldly going where no beer has gone before.
Thanks for the thread that actually explains this all in one central location. I have an HTC Thunderbolt (I know, lol) that I have run the Dev unlock on, but have not completely rooted yet. I figure since the warranty is up, and it looks like I will be switching to a GSIII around the holidays unless there is something better by then, I might as well try rooting my Thunderbolt first.

Does SuperOneClick work on the TB? Also, can anyone recommend a mod, since everyone I talk to about rooting always recommends Cyanogen, which of course does not have a Thunderbolt ROM. Thanks goons.

Nerdrock
Jan 31, 2006

tonic posted:

Anyone else running CM10 (nightlies) on a SGS3? Does your battery life suck or is it just me?

I finally disabled maps and that seems to have helped some, but I get 5+ percent of battery drain/hour even without that. Seems "Android System" is 2nd biggest utilizer behind the screen. This happens even with a fresh install with only a few apps running the default launcher.

Thinking I should just go back to stock, but I really really hate Touchwiz :argh:

Yeah. Then again, I've always thought battery life was poo poo. It does seem to be a little worse lately though.

ExcessBLarg!
Sep 1, 2001

tonic posted:

Anyone else running CM10 (nightlies) on a SGS3?
Which model?

tonic posted:

Does your battery life suck or is it just me?
It's comparable to stock for me. How much is the device "awake"?

tonic
Jan 4, 2003

ExcessBLarg! posted:

Which model?

It's comparable to stock for me. How much is the device "awake"?

SGH-I747 (AT&T). Looks like it's "awake" around half time time, perhaps more than it should be?

I only ran the stock for a week or so, so maybe I'm misremembering. It just seems like CM10s battery life has gotten worse with successive builds. It was definitely better in some of the late-September builds than it is in the 1107 that I'm currently running.

I thought it was just Maps that was causing it, but I still get a good amount of battery drain (when not using the phone) with Maps disabled.

Nerdrock posted:

Yeah. Then again, I've always thought battery life was poo poo. It does seem to be a little worse lately though.

Yeah, maybe I'm just comparing it too much in my mind to my old iPhone 4S. I'll quit obsessing over it.

tonic fucked around with this message at 20:28 on Nov 11, 2012

Squatch Ambassador
Nov 12, 2008

What? Never seen a shaved Squatch before?
Are you in an area with spotty hspa or lte? The only time I have battery issues on my S3(SGH-I747M) is when it's constantly swapping due to poor connection. (Joys of living in a building with metal siding, and Rogers)

Tahm Bwady
Aug 7, 2008

Its 1 thing to jump and be able to land on 2 feet but I had no idea I was landing in Heaven.Hope all is well on this good Friday
Wow. Think I just bricked my Galaxy Nexus. Tried to load flash AOKP and it failed but when it rebooted it stuck on the Google boot screen. I have no way of manually getting into the bootloader because my volume up button is broken. Do I have any options here?

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
ASK ME ABOUT HOW HUMAN LIVES THAT MADE VIDEO GAME CONTROLLERS ARE WORTH MORE
Lipstick Apathy
Open it up and use a piece of wire to temporarily bridge the jumper for the volume button?

Frozen Peach
Aug 25, 2004

garbage man from a garbage can

Tahm Bwady posted:

Wow. Think I just bricked my Galaxy Nexus. Tried to load flash AOKP and it failed but when it rebooted it stuck on the Google boot screen. I have no way of manually getting into the bootloader because my volume up button is broken. Do I have any options here?

You might be able to use ADB to reboot to recovery. Just connect it to your computer while it's booting and try to connect to ADB with it. Then run adb reboot recovery

DaveKap
Feb 5, 2006

Okay after doing some more researching, here is where I'm stuck:
In order to gain S-Off, I need to have stock RUU. The only stock RUU I can find for the EVO 3D is 2.08.651.2, which HTC refuses to downgrade my phone to. My current stock RUU is 2.89.651.2. I'm able to flash to a deox'd, rooted version of the 2.89 rom but I am unable to flash to a deox'd, rooted version of 2.08 nor am I able to find a stock, rooted version of 2.89.
So, where the hell is my Google blind spot here? Can someone link me to a stock RUU that won't fail when I try to flash it and will allow me to get S-Off?

Tahm Bwady
Aug 7, 2008

Its 1 thing to jump and be able to land on 2 feet but I had no idea I was landing in Heaven.Hope all is well on this good Friday

Frozen-Solid posted:

You might be able to use ADB to reboot to recovery. Just connect it to your computer while it's booting and try to connect to ADB with it. Then run adb reboot recovery

worked just perfectly. Now I have to find a way to flash AOKP without nearly soft bricking my phone :v:

Frozen Peach
Aug 25, 2004

Tahm Bwady posted:

worked just perfectly. Now I have to find a way to flash AOKP without nearly soft bricking my phone :v:

Have you tried to wipe your system, data, and cache before flashing? If it's a new ROM, you have to do it... but if something is just broken in your current build, or incompatible with the update, you might still have to do it.

Tahm Bwady
Aug 7, 2008

Frozen-Solid posted:

Have you tried to wipe your system, data, and cache before flashing? If it's a new ROM, you have to do it... but if something is just broken in your current build, or incompatible with the update, you might still have to do it.

Yeah, everything's wiped. In Clockwork recovery it says that the "symlinks failed"

Frozen Peach
Aug 25, 2004

Tahm Bwady posted:

Yeah, everything's wiped. In Clockwork recovery it says that the "symlinks failed"

Not sure why it'd do that then. You're beyond my knowledge.

In other news: CM10 for the GSM Nexus now has the 3.0 kernel. It's pretty drat awesome, and I'm seeing pretty significant battery increase.

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

Frozen-Solid posted:

Not sure why it'd do that then. You're beyond my knowledge.

In other news: CM10 for the GSM Nexus now has the 3.0 kernel. It's pretty drat awesome, and I'm seeing pretty significant battery increase.
You mean the stock 4.2 kernel, but yeah it's a pretty significant bump over the updated kernel in use across the rest of CM10.

Frozen Peach
Aug 25, 2004

LastInLine posted:

You mean the stock 4.2 kernel, but yeah it's a pretty significant bump over the updated kernel in use across the rest of CM10.

Didn't CM10 used to still be on the 2.6 kernel?

Either way, it's a new(er) kernel.

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

Frozen-Solid posted:

Didn't CM10 used to still be on the 2.6 kernel?

Either way, it's a new(er) kernel.
No, it was on a newer kernel and they're moving back to whatever the stock kernel is. I'm out but I'll link the discussion when i get in. The intention is to quit bumping the kernel version when there's no compelling reason to do so.

Skeezy
Jul 3, 2007

Milestone 3 isn't out yet right? Thought it was supposed to be by tonight.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ExcessBLarg!
Sep 1, 2001

tonic posted:

SGH-I747 (AT&T). Looks like it's "awake" around half time time, perhaps more than it should be?
Depending on what you're doing, it shouldn't be "awake" much more than you have "screen on".

If "screen on" time is significantly worse than stock, that could be. It also depends what you're comparing it against, e.g., if "stock" is ICS, then you'll definitely experience increased power consumption as a result of butter.

If you have a bunch of "awake" time outside "screen off" then there's another problem. One thing is that "low power audio" was disabled until very recently, I think last night's nightly. So if you listen to a lot of music, that may actually explain it.

FWIW, CM on the SGS3 is definitely a work in progress. The main features all work, but there's a lot of fine tuning that's still taking place or is planned for the near future.

Skeezy posted:

Milestone 3 isn't out yet right?
There's no/not going to be an M3.