Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
SilentD
Aug 22, 2012

by toby

abagofcheetos posted:

Sony better have someone competent (ie western) design their OS for the PS4... I'm sorry but the Japanese have no idea what the hell they are doing.

What's so bad about the XMB? I find the 360's to be a mess.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Code Jockey
Jan 24, 2006

69420 basic bytes free
Yeah I really like the XMB, I just wish... it... worked better.

Policenaut
Jul 11, 2008

On the moon... they don't make Neo Kobe Pizza.

The XMB loads for poo poo because it's a Frankenstein monster that Sony's rigged into something much more expansive than they originally conceived. Seriously it used to load super fast around the time it came out, but as they kept adding new features and updates it just got slower.

abagofcheetos
Oct 29, 2003

by FactsAreUseless

SilentD posted:

What's so bad about the XMB? I find the 360's to be a mess.

It is so shoddily programmed though. I mean look at how hosed up the trophies process is... everything about XMB is so clunky. The last Xbox dash I've used was probably back in 2009 or 2010, but it was at least smooth and put together. You could tell they designed it with multitasking and constant connectivity in mind. Meanwhile XMB feels like you are using some half-assed hacked together project whenever you try to do multiple things at once... mainly because technically you are.

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

Congratulations The One Concern!!!

You're addicted to Ivory!!

and...oh my...could you please...
oh my...

Grimey Drawer

Code Jockey posted:

Yeah this. The design of the XMB is nice, simple, straight forward, it's easy to get around and every thing is in a good place but every aspect of it loads so so slowly. If it ran well it would be fantastic. It's really it's only problem. I actually hope they don't overhaul it next gen and just make it work but I'm sure we'll get something way, WAY worse.

Code Jockey
Jan 24, 2006

69420 basic bytes free

axleblaze posted:

Yeah this. The design of the XMB is nice, simple, straight forward, it's easy to get around and every thing is in a good place but every aspect of it loads so so slowly. If it ran well it would be fantastic. It's really it's only problem. I actually hope they don't overhaul it next gen and just make it work but I'm sure we'll get something way, WAY worse.

Well, dunno how you feel about the store overhaul, but I wonder if that's a sign of what's to be?

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

oh my...

Grimey Drawer

Code Jockey posted:

Well, dunno how you feel about the store overhaul, but I wonder if that's a sign of what's to be?

I don't hate the ideas the new store is trying like some people seem to but it's implemented worse than the XMB. It's really slow and doing anything takes way to many button presses.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Code Jockey posted:

I usually play on 360 and every time I turn on my PS3 I breath a sigh of relief when I see a UI, then all of a sudden a little message appears in the corner "software update required and you can't play your game for 2 hours"

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

NESguerilla posted:

I usually play on 360 and every time I turn on my PS3 I breath a sigh of relief when I see a UI, then all of a sudden a little message appears in the corner "software update required and you can't play your game for 2 hours"

Plus downloading that for you automatically is almost the best part.

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.
What's wrong with you fuckers' Ps3s or Internet that software updates keep you out of the game for 2 hours??

Wired, those things never take me more than 20 min. Wireless, maybe 40?

Shalinor
Jun 10, 2002

Can I buy you a rootbeer?

Feenix posted:

What's wrong with you fuckers' Ps3s or Internet that software updates keep you out of the game for 2 hours??

Wired, those things never take me more than 20 min. Wireless, maybe 40?
When you just finished work, spent the last 40 minutes cooking dinner, have the family situated, you've got a movie in mind, everybody's sitting down to eat and watch, and you're starting the PS3 to do netflix an- PATCH TIME!

... it is unpleasant. 20 minutes is a long drat time to have sprung out of nowhere. I imagine the parents that do gaming after kids go to sleep have it even worse - I've still got way bigger time windows for gaming than they do.

Contrast this with the Xbox, which even if it does patch, usually doesn't take more than a few minutes. PS3, it's a crapshoot whether it'll be a fast patch or a 20-40 minute monstrosity. (I vaguely recall the reason being, PS3 can't do delta patching, whereas the 360 was designed to use just that across the board)

EDIT: All of that to the side, I still prefer Sony's store at this point to Microsoft's sprawl of ads and bullshit. Sony's store sometimes has issues, but it's clean, fast, looks nice, and if I'm seeing ads, at least they're not for Axe Body Spray or some bullshit. I've got more faith in Sony than in MS for coming up with a gamer-friendly OS next generation... Xbox is going to be a mash of crap aimed at casuals using Kinect again.

Shalinor fucked around with this message at 03:38 on Nov 9, 2012

quakster
Jul 21, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
It took me slightly below four minutes to download a 173 MB game patch yesterday. The PS3 Netflix app is really tiny, if it takes your net 20 minutes to update, burn your ISP's place of operation down and salt the earth.

Jimbot
Jul 22, 2008

Shalinor posted:

EDIT: All of that to the side, I still prefer Sony's store at this point to Microsoft's sprawl of ads and bullshit. Sony's store sometimes has issues, but it's clean, fast, looks nice, and if I'm seeing ads, at least they're not for Axe Body Spray or some bullshit. I've got more faith in Sony than in MS for coming up with a gamer-friendly OS next generation... Xbox is going to be a mash of crap aimed at casuals using Kinect again.

How else are gamers going to find out that if they use AXE BODY SPRAY they become chick magnets?!*

*This post was brought to you by Axe Body Spray in association with MNT Dew and Dorritos!

In all seriousness, my Xbox 360 has been dead for a year and a half, so it died before ads to plastered all over the drat thing. But I never realized how bad it was when I was playing on a friend's a month or so ago. Why do people put up with that poo poo? Doubly so if you're a Gold member. Unless they have no/less ads if you're Gold?

It's a hard choice but I'd go slow accessing than riddled with ads. Even then, I really don't access the XMB too often when I'm playing a game and that's when it is at its slowest.

Ellaybee
Jun 17, 2005

How likely is Tokyo Jungle ever to get the patched enabling Remote Play, now that it's been out for a month and a half?

Neon Knight
Jan 14, 2009

Ellaybee posted:

How likely is Tokyo Jungle ever to get the patched enabling Remote Play, now that it's been out for a month and a half?

It has been out since June in Japan. I wouldn't hold out specifically for that. I don't have a Vita but I imagine Tokyo Jungle would be great on it though.

Policenaut
Jul 11, 2008

On the moon... they don't make Neo Kobe Pizza.

Tokyo Jungle was already confirmed to be receiving a Remote Play patch, but it hasn't come out yet.

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.

Shalinor posted:

When you just finished work, spent the last 40 minutes cooking dinner, have the family situated, you've got a movie in mind, everybody's sitting down to eat and watch, and you're starting the PS3 to do netflix an- PATCH TIME!

... it is unpleasant. 20 minutes is a long drat time to have sprung out of nowhere. I imagine the parents that do gaming after kids go to sleep have it even worse - I've still got way bigger time windows for gaming than they do.

Contrast this with the Xbox, which even if it does patch, usually doesn't take more than a few minutes. PS3, it's a crapshoot whether it'll be a fast patch or a 20-40 minute monstrosity. (I vaguely recall the reason being, PS3 can't do delta patching, whereas the 360 was designed to use just that across the board)

I'm not saying it's not lame to sometimes get hit with that (Get Plus!!) I was just responding to claims that it was 2 hours.

Ellaybee
Jun 17, 2005

Neon Knight posted:

It has been out since June in Japan. I wouldn't hold out specifically for that. I don't have a Vita but I imagine Tokyo Jungle would be great on it though.

Policenaut posted:

Tokyo Jungle was already confirmed to be receiving a Remote Play patch, but it hasn't come out yet.

I suppose I should have mentioned that I'd already bought it but was hoping to be able to play it on my Vita, and that I knew that the patch had been announced 6 weeks ago but I hadn't heard anything about it since. I've kinda been putting off playing more of it until the patch is offered, since it seems like the kind of game that I'd prefer on a handheld. Just seems like it would be the kind of patch that wouldn't depend on any localization, and since it was already live in Japan, I wondered why it hadn't surfaced yet.

That said, I do appreciate you guys answering.

whaley
Aug 13, 2000

MY DOODOO IS SPRAYING OUT
Everything else is so fantastic about Okami that I can forgive the game for being extremely easy. There's a lot more to do besides fighting stuff anyway

Bleep
Feb 7, 2004

Aphrodite posted:

The Clover/Platinum MO.

"This game would be great, if..."

Bayonetta and Vanquish are great, don't make me cry.

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug

weird bleep posted:

Bayonetta and Vanquish are great, don't make me cry.
Yeah seriously, how do you finish that sentence with those two games? "Bayonetta would be awesome if on top of stylishly killing a bunch of badass angels, you also got to punch a god into the sun...no wait, you can do that".

That Fucking Sned
Oct 28, 2010

Bayonetta would be great if the PS3 port was any good. Unfortunately, my 360 is now dead, so I just have to hope that the first game gets a WiiU port.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

quakster posted:

It took me slightly below four minutes to download a 173 MB game patch yesterday. The PS3 Netflix app is really tiny, if it takes your net 20 minutes to update, burn your ISP's place of operation down and salt the earth.

The Ps3 is pretty much a crapshoot as far as download speed goes. I consistently get about 37 mbps on every device I have except the ps3 which maxes out at 10 and can go down to dial up speeds. Pretty hard to blame that one on my ISP.

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug
The new PS store makes you get through literally four more screens than the old one between your first click to download something and when you can start it downloading, even for free things.

Also Resident Evil 5 free for PS+ users. Yay...I guess? I suppose I'll give mercenaries mode or whatever a try, that's worth something right?

edit: vvv only the US store has changed still, right? The Japanese one hasn't anyway.

Samurai Sanders fucked around with this message at 09:33 on Nov 9, 2012

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

The new PS store doesn't hurt my eyes like the old one so it's ok in my book.

Discount Viscount
Jul 9, 2010

FIND THE FISH!

Samurai Sanders posted:

The new PS store makes you get through literally four more screens than the old one between your first click to download something and when you can start it downloading, even for free things.

Yeah, when it first hit I thought it was alright, it looked different and slick but things seemed organized similar to how they were before, but today I downloaded the Epic Mickey 2 demo and it seemed like a hell of a lot of steps having to go to the cart and confirm and check out. And taking up half the vertical space on a screen with a wide aspect ratio to display bigass banners for certain sections of the store is dumb as gently caress. Now that I've used it some the only thing I really like are the nice big icons, everything else is a downgrade.

As for games, god drat Persona 3 FES for $5 is tempting even though I already have it on PS2 and I probably won't ever find the time/will to play/start it again.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

quakster posted:

I believe they were talking about a system update, not a patch.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Samurai Sanders posted:

Yeah seriously, how do you finish that sentence with those two games? "Bayonetta would be awesome if on top of stylishly killing a bunch of badass angels, you also got to punch a god into the sun...no wait, you can do that".

If it was marketable.

Honest Thief
Jan 11, 2009

Aphrodite posted:

If it was marketable.

that's cold.

I wonder how much Nintendo had to shell out for it, probably not that much.

GUI
Nov 5, 2005

Bayonetta was one of the few games Sega had slightly competent advertising for. Not hard since the main reason for the sales was probably the Cheesecake main character.

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

oh my...

Grimey Drawer

Samurai Sanders posted:

Bayonetta would have been great if the story wasn't garbage and the goal of the games presentation didn't seem to be trying to make the player feel as embarrassed as possible for playing the game.

That wasn't too hard.

Note: I do think Bayonetta is probably the best action game this gen, but I'm just saying it still had it's own special problems.

Wrist Watch
Apr 19, 2011

What?

I think there's a strong correlation between people who cared about the story in Bayonetta and people who felt embarrassed playing it.

I dunno, I'm gonna go breakdance angels to death regardless of who's watching me unless it's my 9 year old brother or something. I'd be more embarrassed having my parents watch me play Skullgirls than Bayonetta, honestly. The only part that genuinely made me uncomfortable was when I beat the game and got treated to that really long cutscene of her pole-dancing. Otherwise who really gives a poo poo if the story's dumb, when it isn't an excuse to get new powers like turning into a panther or something it's an excuse to shove your fists into something.

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

oh my...

Grimey Drawer
I feel compelled to watch the story in any game I play. I like having the context for my actions. I found Bayonetta's story almost unbearable to sit through. It's pretty terrible on all levels. Yes, it's skippable but what's there is utter poo poo on pretty much every level. It's not like it's a Mario situation where there is no story because there's alot of story in that game and it's all pretty bad. It's a horrible mix of humor that isn't funny and incomprehensible, vague anime garbage. Even the cut scenes where that are just you doing something badass fall really flat in that game.

I agree it's a flaw that can easily be ignored if you want to but it is still a flaw in the game.

Also, I agree Skullgirls is more embarrassing and that there are many games more embarrassing to play than Bayonetta but I don't see how that doesn't mean that Bayonetta isn't still a lil embarrassing to play.

As I said, I really like Bayonetta, but it was being presented as a game without any flaws and that's really only true if you choose to ignore some parts of the game.

Oh and the QTEs are absolute poo poo. Possibly some of the worst I've encountered. They're kept to a minimum but they're quick, hard to see and instant death.

Fiendish Dr. Wu
Nov 11, 2010

You done fucked up now!
I haven't played any games on my ps3 in a long time. Now, after owning and watching The Avengers on blu several times with the kids (6 years old), he wants some spiderman or avengers game. Is Marvel Ultimate Alliance 2 my only real option for pretty easy to play, generic superhero-beat-up-everybody game? Is Spiderman Shattered Dimensions good? Thinking he might like the MvC stuff, but it might be a bit much right now.

Shirkelton
Apr 6, 2009

I'm not loyal to anything, General... except the dream.

Fiendish Dr. Wu posted:

I haven't played any games on my ps3 in a long time. Now, after owning and watching The Avengers on blu several times with the kids (6 years old), he wants some spiderman or avengers game. Is Marvel Ultimate Alliance 2 my only real option for pretty easy to play, generic superhero-beat-up-everybody game? Is Spiderman Shattered Dimensions good? Thinking he might like the MvC stuff, but it might be a bit much right now.

Get Marvel Ultimate Alliance 1 and 2 and play co-op. Bam. There's also that Spider-man, more kid-friendly game; Friend or Foe? Might want to check that out.

Liar Lyre
Jun 3, 2011

Here to deliver
~Bad Opinions~

Ultimate Alliance 2 is easy and fun. Shattered Dimensions is pretty cool too, but it can be a bit tricky.

Matt Zerella
Oct 7, 2002

Norris'es are back baby. It's good again. Awoouu (fox Howl)

Aphrodite posted:

Every similar device's western developed OS that I can think of (The 360's, the Vita's, iOS) is worse than the XMB.

You're right on the first two.

The Vita especially, holy gently caress its an eyesore. Not to mention one big anime machine.

Fiendish Dr. Wu
Nov 11, 2010

You done fucked up now!

Dan Didio posted:

Get Marvel Ultimate Alliance 1 and 2 and play co-op. Bam. There's also that Spider-man, more kid-friendly game; Friend or Foe? Might want to check that out.

Liar Lyre posted:

Ultimate Alliance 2 is easy and fun. Shattered Dimensions is pretty cool too, but it can be a bit tricky.

MUA/MUA2 is about all I came up with in my google search before posting here, and I'm a little surprised that there hasn't been anything new like that since 2009. But either way, I remember it being awesome and will definitely be getting it. Just wanted to ask first, thanks!

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

The MUA developers lost the license.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Liar Lyre
Jun 3, 2011

Here to deliver
~Bad Opinions~

Shame because MUA2 was the most refined of the series.

• Locked thread