Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
RadicalWall
May 31, 2005

I have no idea whats going on.
If you're going to command at least spend some time in explore mode learning how to build things and where specific upgrades are researched.

It's only frustrating when the commander doesn't know how to upgrade or what specific buildings do.

EDIT: And yes, always use a mic. It instantly makes you 10x better.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Crotch
Oct 16, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo
Yeah, I commed my first game the other day when nobody hopped in to the hive after about a minute. I was lucky enough to have a newbie commander on the enemy team as well, and the game went a pretty decent length. Though we lost (and I accidentally made a billion loving fade eggs somehow), the team thanked me for taking com and being communicative anyway. drat impressed with how nice the game's community is so far.

That said, I definitely recommend putting in time as a grunt before comming.

The Crotch fucked around with this message at 22:02 on Nov 9, 2012

harrygomm
Oct 19, 2004

can u run n jump?
Where was that youtube channel that had a bunch of informative videos with links at the start/end of each to each lifeform for aliens? Not in the OP and its not the unknownworlds channel either, I don't think.

RadicalWall
May 31, 2005

Here's an important note. Make sure to go into Options and turn off Easy Commanding.

All it does is make icons hover over your buildings that leads to easy misclicks and really ends up being a newbie trap.

Drone Incognito
Oct 16, 2008

There are no drones here. No way no how.

The Crotch posted:

Yeah, that's where we were playing, with the giant vent system and the double resource points in the middle (nano-something?). I'm surprised they could even get in there. I vaguely recall hearing someone say, "Hey, get on my shoulders!" and then a couple minutes later the power went out everywhere so we couldn't even recall them to help us defend/repair.

I can confirm that's what happened since I was the one who told them to jump on me and get in...

I didn't realize that particular vent system was pretty much a trap for marines, I thought we were being sneaky. It made the epic comeback so much better.

Ass_Burgerer
Dec 3, 2010

Well, this is all good tips you're all giving me, but where do I go to learn about the basics? About all I know how to do is put spore cysts down as aliens. How do I upgrade stuff? Do I have some sort of resource that I'm using? These are stuff I would like to find out without having to do trial and error.

E:

RadicalWall posted:

If you're going to command at least spend some time in explore mode learning how to build things and where specific upgrades are researched.

It's only frustrating when the commander doesn't know how to upgrade or what specific buildings do.

EDIT: And yes, always use a mic. It instantly makes you 10x better.

Oh! This is good, I'll try this.

MMF Freeway
Sep 15, 2010

Later!
This vid should help:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XvkjrPHc-tI

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸
So you have the Marines down to one room and the command chair is on about 5% health. What's the logical thing to do?

Run around in a pack of skulsk eating power nodes of course!

Saint Isz
Aug 6, 2001

octoroon posted:

The only thing this game is really missing now is voice chat roleplaying gimmicks. Anyone remember Orcish_Grunt? The guy who never dropped character of an orc over voice chat? That poo poo was hilarious.

e: OH MY GOD he still exists on Youtube https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rdzryoaXNQ0 this brings back memories!

I had never heard of him, but I just ran into that guy playing NS2 this week.

qwertyasdf
Nov 11, 2003

I pulled up the lua files and started poking around. What is the story on modifying lua files, and then putting them on a server? Do the files get checksummed and if they differ, you are put on the dreaded "community content" list? If there a way to duck that if we are not doing anything client side?

I was thinking of making some reserved slots or something. This game really needs some more admin controls, and vote scramble.

speng31b
May 8, 2010

Saint Isz posted:

I had never heard of him, but I just ran into that guy playing NS2 this week.

He's back? That is truly excellent news.

Garfu
Mar 6, 2008

Much like buttholes, families are meant to be tight.
Yes, roleplay comms are the best.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ltHb4T3nK6E

I wish I recorded his schwarzenegger impression. Spot on.

Shima Honnou
Dec 1, 2010

The Once And Future King Of Dicetroit

College Slice

octoroon posted:

This sounds like something in your computer is overheating, you really should check your temps. Typically if you can play for that long then get a lockup, you have overheating components, maybe a bad PSU or failing RAM. Almost definitely overheating.

NS2 taxes your CPU in a way most modern games do not so it could be pointing out an overheating CPU. If I were you I'd run Prime95.

Been running a test with Prime95 for the past hour and 40 minutes, no problems so far.

speng31b
May 8, 2010

Shima Honnou posted:

Been running a test with Prime95 for the past hour and 40 minutes, no problems so far.

Run it overnight and see how things go. 1:40 is pretty solid but to be sure you really ought to run it overnight. If Prime95 comes up clean follow up with Furmark for your GPU, and if you're still clean, it's probably NS2's fault or a driver issue of some kind.

alathar
Jan 6, 2004
O_o

The Crotch posted:

(and I accidentally made a billion loving fade eggs somehow)

This is happening because you're selecting an egg, and then hitting "c" for map, which causes you to start building a fade egg. I do it all the time and it is terrible :(

totalnewbie
Nov 13, 2005

I was born and raised in China, lived in Japan, and now hold a US passport.

I am wrong in every way, all the damn time.

Ask me about my tattoos.
About commanding: a lot of people are scared of commanding because it's just something that you don't have a lot of experience doing simply because of the nature of the game.

If you're communicative and responsive and people are still giving you a hard time about being bad then it's on them for not telling you what to do, especially if you've made it clear you're new.

There's basically only three good reasons you should avoid commanding:
1. You don't know the game (i.e. you don't have a basic understanding of the units, buildings, rudimentary strategy, etc).
2. You don't have a microphone. Unless you have an extra pair of hands, your keyboard is not an acceptable substitute.
3. You don't enjoy it/want to. Because it's not an obligation.

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸
4. You're going to sit in the hive/command chair doing literally nothing until forcibly ejected five minutes later.

I seem to be running into a weird run of people hopping into the command chair and then... I honestly don't know.

The last one was the most annoying, because I was commanding and I'd only hopped out to kill the couple of marines smashing our stuff that the rest of the team were ignoring. At first I was happy that someone was commanding since it meant Icould run damage control, but... yeah, no.

At least the 200 accumulated res meant I could double spawn onosses and go on a cyst/harvester rampage.

Splicer fucked around with this message at 00:44 on Nov 10, 2012

Scrub-Niggurath
Nov 27, 2007

Okay, I've been eyeballing this game for a while now, I'm a big fan of asymmetric team FPS's, but I'm a little concerned that having a single person with a poo poo ton of responsibility for the team could ruin the game quite easily. Is this true? And as a followup should I still get this game?

totalnewbie
Nov 13, 2005

I was born and raised in China, lived in Japan, and now hold a US passport.

I am wrong in every way, all the damn time.

Ask me about my tattoos.
It CAN, but more often than not, you won't notice, unless they're REALLY good or REALLY bad.

In the end, it still lies on the rest of the team to be able to execute well. If the team can't fight then a commander isn't going to win the game on his own.

You should pick it up because it's about as asymmetrical as you can get and still be pretty balanced.

MMF Freeway
Sep 15, 2010

Later!
I would say that while a good commander is awesome and will make your experience better, a bad one won't ruin it. The most annoying thing that I see is commanders that are just plain new and don't know how to do things so you end up getting upgrades real slow. That sucks, but its pretty minor compared to how good the game is overall. Get it.

whiskas
May 30, 2005
A poo poo commander with a good team has a decent chance of winning.

An amazing commander with a poo poo team is doomed to fail.

In summary, your commander will not make or break the outcome of the game, unless they are a brain dead retard.

randombattle
Oct 16, 2008

This hand of mine shines and roars! It's bright cry tells me to grasp victory!

whiskas posted:

In summary, your commander will not make or break the outcome of the game, unless they are a brain dead retard.

Yeah terrible commanders just end up following the orders from the rest of the team on what to build and stuff so it's really no big deal. Just mildly annoying.

Lastdancer
Apr 21, 2008

randombattle posted:

Yeah terrible commanders just end up following the orders from the rest of the team on what to build and stuff so it's really no big deal. Just mildly annoying.

I would call that type of person more of an inexperienced comm than a terrible one. A terrible commander wouldn't know where stuff was, and wouldn't ask either.

Alternatively, a terrible commander would have the most hosed build order and not listen to any suggestions, ever, I feel.

RadicalWall
May 31, 2005

whiskas posted:

And this is kind of what makes commanding so frustrating. If your players can't win a 1v1, or sometimes even a 2v1, there's very little you can do as a commander to turn the odds. Sometimes you just get out-played.

Sour Diesel
Jan 30, 2010

RadicalWall posted:

And this is kind of what makes commanding so frustrating. If your players can't win a 1v1, or sometimes even a 2v1, there's very little you can do as a commander to turn the odds. Sometimes you just get out-played.

This. It's a big letdown when you've plowed through the tech tree quickly only to see your guys getting owned.

randombattle
Oct 16, 2008

This hand of mine shines and roars! It's bright cry tells me to grasp victory!

RadicalWall posted:

No I disagree completely in situations like that you need to use better tactics to get aliens in cross fire situations and flank their defenses.

The problem seems to be in most games people just throw themselves repeatedly at a hallway that gets defended in an effort to master chief through the front lines and take everyone out. Cept that never ever happens and it's always a long drawn out war of attrition where the victory is the team that has other people going out and sweeping up the map. There's never a point where someone just can't do anything cause there are a lot of roles that could be filled.. Someone can't aim? Get a flamer and cover everyone. Person like to harass people? Get a jetpack and kill some cysts and take nodes. There's just always things for people to be doing that are more effective then throwing themselves repeatedly at a single spot on the map. When it comes down to it the most effective combat team in the world can be beaten with better tactical decisions and better over all strategy.

Kaal
May 22, 2002

through thousands of posts in D&D over a decade, I now believe I know what I'm talking about. if I post forcefully and confidently, I can convince others that is true. no one sees through my facade.

randombattle posted:

When it comes down to it the most effective combat team in the world can be beaten with better tactical decisions and better over all strategy.

It's a nice thought, but honestly it isn't true. All your strategy can go right down the drain if your kitted-out Marines keep on getting worked by a pair of skulks. That's kind of what makes this game so interesting.

Magres
Jul 14, 2011
You can also feed your marines effective combat tactics. One game I was playing Marine and we were getting crushed early by the Skulks - lot of us just weren't super good twitchy players and fighting a Skulk up close is almost entirely twitch and bunnyhopping.

Our comm says "Guys, move in packs of 2 and 3, and stay like ten feet apart. Don't try to shoot at Skulks on you, focus on dodging and shooting Skulks off other people. When there's a Skulk on someone, don't even bother trying to shoot it. Shoot the Marine. You'll hit the Skulk instead. I swear it works." (I agree with him, it works really well) As we roll out, he keeps feeding random people good tactical advice and we all fight better for it, and wind up winning the game.

You have to be able to give advice without pissing people off, but it's definitely nice when I'm in a situation where I'm not sure what my best move is as a grunt and my comm feeds me a good course of action to take.

BlueDestiny
Jun 18, 2011

Mega deal with it

Magres posted:

You can also feed your marines effective combat tactics. One game I was playing Marine and we were getting crushed early by the Skulks - lot of us just weren't super good twitchy players and fighting a Skulk up close is almost entirely twitch and bunnyhopping.

Our comm says "Guys, move in packs of 2 and 3, and stay like ten feet apart. Don't try to shoot at Skulks on you, focus on dodging and shooting Skulks off other people. When there's a Skulk on someone, don't even bother trying to shoot it. Shoot the Marine. You'll hit the Skulk instead. I swear it works." (I agree with him, it works really well) As we roll out, he keeps feeding random people good tactical advice and we all fight better for it, and wind up winning the game.

You have to be able to give advice without pissing people off, but it's definitely nice when I'm in a situation where I'm not sure what my best move is as a grunt and my comm feeds me a good course of action to take.

That there is a perfect example of a good comm. I was in the same situation but our comm just kept going "stop being poo poo guys you loving suck god drat you're so poo poo".

genderstomper58
Jan 10, 2005

by XyloJW
As a big fan of NS1, this game is awesome though I don't like the idea of an alien commander and it doesn't run so hot on my computer...however they're easily overlooked because this game is a blast.

A couple of questions, how do you stick yourself to a wall as a lerk? I have a feeling I missed a tutorial tip somewhere here.

Also, is there any way to mute a specific person? I tried clicking on their name in the tab menu but no dice. One whiny sperg can ruin an entire round so I just end up turning voice off every now and then when this happens. Still, lots of teamwork going on in this game even with public groups which is a nice change of pace from the regular.

Sendo
Jul 26, 2011

BULLETS CURE ISLAM posted:

A couple of questions, how do you stick yourself to a wall as a lerk? I have a feeling I missed a tutorial tip somewhere here.

Just tap shift against a wall, don't need to hold it.

genderstomper58
Jan 10, 2005

by XyloJW

Sendo posted:

Just tap shift against a wall, don't need to hold it.

Cool, figured it was something stupid obvious thanks :)

Captain Beans
Aug 5, 2004

Whar be the beans?
Hair Elf

Garfu posted:

Yes, roleplay comms are the best.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ltHb4T3nK6E

I wish I recorded his schwarzenegger impression. Spot on.

I played a game with this guy yesterday and it was amazing. He almost drops the accent when he gets really excited which actually led the marines to play better because we were trying really hard to do amazing poo poo so we could bust him on coming out the of the accent.

Not as good as announcer jim in CS though: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9aOL4MGkH1w

Captain Beans fucked around with this message at 06:09 on Nov 10, 2012

whiskas
May 30, 2005
Keep in mind that executing strategies is also dependent on having a good team. Giving waypoints, and using the mic to explain you strategy only works when your team actually listens to you.

I have seen an organized group assault fail because half the team decided to fork from the main group to go kill a gorge.

Going off on a tangent, gorges are amazing when used as bait. I was just in a game where I would happily prance around a room as a gorge, trying to look as helpless as possible, while 2 skulks were hidden in the ceiling. Marines would enter the room and get tunnel vision, heading straight for me, while the skulks drop from above and killed them.

RadicalWall
May 31, 2005

BULLETS CURE ISLAM posted:

Also, is there any way to mute a specific person? I tried clicking on their name in the tab menu but no dice. One whiny sperg can ruin an entire round so I just end up turning voice off every now and then when this happens. Still, lots of teamwork going on in this game even with public groups which is a nice change of pace from the regular.

If you hit tab to bring up the player list you can click the icon at the very left of their name to mute them.

TheMostFrench
Jul 12, 2009

Stop for me, it's the claw!

RabidWeasel posted:

Don't comm as a newbie unless nobody else wants to, also you must have a mic. Under these circumstances nobody will get mad at you and if you tell people what to do they'll usually do it!

Lots of people say you need a mic. I have one but have often commanded without actually using it - Just say what's necessary gets the job done, and at least encourage everyone else to be communicative too, you aren't the one person who has to keep everyone informed. I really like it when I have one lone ranger who wants to explore the opposite side of the map to everyone else and tell me what is happening while I am keeping 'the big push' alive, for example.

I think lots of newbies should try commanding (preferably play a couple rounds first and get the gist of what things are for), either in game or in explore mode, because there is lots they can learn about the game that they may not have known. The other day I played half a dozen rounds with the same people as alien, but a majority of that hadn't picked up on things like leap being a 2 hive skill, or that each hive opened up new abilities like carapace or silence. These are the kinds of things that the game tells you when command - Commanding acts as an unofficial tutorial for a portion of the game, in the sense that it actually has text which explains what things do, when you can get them, and how much they cost.

The worst thing really is when everyone spawns (e.g as a marine) and they all run away from the starting tech point and no one looks back, then when the game inevitably ends in 5 minutes, they all complain that there was no comm.

Foma
Oct 1, 2004
Hello, My name is Lip Synch. Right now, I'm making a post that is anti-bush or something Micheal Moore would be proud of because I and the rest of my team lefty friends (koba1t included) need something to circle jerk to.
Are there different areas of the alien you are suppose to aim for? Like Onos do you not shoot the head? what about skulks? Best way to kill a lerk?

chocolateTHUNDER
Jul 19, 2008

GIVE ME ALL YOUR FREE AGENTS

ALL OF THEM

Foma posted:

Are there different areas of the alien you are suppose to aim for? Like Onos do you not shoot the head? what about skulks? Best way to kill a lerk?

Nope. It's not really that type of game, so locational damage is pretty much non-existent.

Is anybody running this game on a pair of AMD cards using crossfire? Is so, how's the performance? Does NS2 make good use of cards in crossfire mode or is it not even worth it?

RadicalWall
May 31, 2005

TheMostFrench posted:

Lots of people say you need a mic. I have one but have often commanded without actually using it - Just say what's necessary gets the job done, and at least encourage everyone else to be communicative too, you aren't the one person who has to keep everyone informed.

Maybe, but as a commander you can hear what's happening anywhere on the map which lets you inform your team of where the enemy is and what they're doing. Being able to quickly tell people where enemies are coming from or where they're building is definitely an important role.

Using a mic just makes the game more fun for everyone.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sendo
Jul 26, 2011

chocolateTHUNDER posted:

Nope. It's not really that type of game, so locational damage is pretty much non-existent.

Is anybody running this game on a pair of AMD cards using crossfire? Is so, how's the performance? Does NS2 make good use of cards in crossfire mode or is it not even worth it?

No difference for me with crossfire on or off, that said though pretty sure I'm being limited by my CPU.

• Locked thread