Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Sammich
Sep 30, 2012

I mean, what else am I gonna do? I sit up here and I read the labels. Light goes on... Light goes off... That's pretty much my day.
I'm utterly unsurprised that an app that tells you when it's okay to pee during movies now has the McElroy brothers' endorsement.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Duke
May 19, 2004

The Angel from my Nightmare

I goOoot a hankerin for a spankerin!

Holy poo poo, Justin as Paul Bearer in 50 Shades of Grey and the resulting squeals of laughter may be one of the funniest things I've ever heard on this show. Episode 120 in case anyone asks.

"I felt myself begin to Slimer..."

InspectorCarbonara
Jul 2, 2010

Evening, patrolmaaan.

The Duke posted:

I goOoot a hankerin for a spankerin!

Holy poo poo, Justin as Paul Bearer in 50 Shades of Grey and the resulting squeals of laughter may be one of the funniest things I've ever heard on this show. Episode 120 in case anyone asks.

"I felt myself begin to Slimer..."
That whole part was another in a long series of MBMBAM sections that are incredibly awkward to listen to while in public between all the suppressed laughter.

I mean, I knew how popular that book was but until that episode I had never actually heard any lines from it. :stare:

Sammich
Sep 30, 2012

I mean, what else am I gonna do? I sit up here and I read the labels. Light goes on... Light goes off... That's pretty much my day.

Pyrovile posted:

That whole part was another in a long series of MBMBAM sections that are incredibly awkward to listen to while in public between all the suppressed laughter.

I mean, I knew how popular that book was but until that episode I had never actually heard any lines from it. :stare:

Oh man. Oh man oh man. Let Gilbert Gottfried read you some more lines.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5K1RcKJVbHA

Sammich
Sep 30, 2012

They're doing an AMA today as part of a fund drive http://www.reddit.com/r/IAmA/comments/11if8h/i_am_the_mcelroy_brothers_hosts_of_my_brother_my/

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

What a horrible thread to have a post.
This might not be the proper thread for it, and if so I apologize, but does anyone else think that the amounts of money that Maximum Fun is asking for during their pledge drive (120 and 240 dollars a year for "Silver" and "Gold", respectively) are kind of...crazy? I noticed they aren't even halfway to making their numbers, and I can't help but feel that the relatively high minimum amount of money they are willing to accept (there's literally no way to pledge less than 10 bucks a month that I can see right now) is part of the problem.

Poopy Palpy
Jun 10, 2000

Im da fwiggin Poopy Palpy XD

Megaman's Jockstrap posted:

This might not be the proper thread for it, and if so I apologize, but does anyone else think that the amounts of money that Maximum Fun is asking for during their pledge drive (120 and 240 dollars a year for "Silver" and "Gold", respectively) are kind of...crazy? I noticed they aren't even halfway to making their numbers, and I can't help but feel that the relatively high minimum amount of money they are willing to accept (there's literally no way to pledge less than 10 bucks a month that I can see right now) is part of the problem.

Yeah, I'm a donor at $5/month and I was willing to bump that up a little bit during the last pledge drive due solely to how amazing the MBMBAM bonus episode was, but the next step up was $10 and I wasn't really looking to double my donation. At some point in the past there was an option to donate at an arbitrary level, but that must have disappeared two or three pledge drives ago.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth
Yea I love most all of MaxFun and think they're great and all but shifting the amounts like they did really does make it harder to donate to them. I totally want to support them because they deserve money, but if the only way to boost it is to double my funding or pay triple digits to the not even highest level rungs I just plain can't.

cbirdsong
Sep 8, 2004

Commodore of the Apocalypso
Lipstick Apathy
Yeah, I don't know why they've removed the lower levels for this tiny drive. $10 a month is a lot, relatively speaking.

Ojjeorago
Sep 21, 2008

I had a dream, too. It wasn't pleasant, though ... I dreamt I was a moron...
Gary’s Answer
Yeah, if I could throw them a flat $20 or whatever I'd have no problem with it, but $10 monthly is a lot considering MBMBAM is the only thing on the network I don't think is terrible.

Kaptain K
Nov 2, 2007

I must admit, I am fond of you humans.

May you enjoy serendipity,

And may the Age of Fire perpetuate.
Do they ever give advice? According to the sampler they just read Yahoo Answers and riff on it.

VDay
Jul 2, 2003

I'm Pacman Jones!
/\/\ It's about 2-to-1 of them answering user questions and making fun of yahoo answers. The yahoo answers are usually just thrown in there every couple of questions to change things up.

Yeah there's nothing wrong with having the ridiculous $200/month option if someone decides that they hate money and want to donate it all to maxfun but not having simple "Donate $5/10/20" one-time options is pretty silly. I can't believe that enough people go "Well I guess I'll just donate 5 bucks every month instead of donating $10 once" to make the lack of those options worth it for them.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

Kaptain K posted:

Do they ever give advice? According to the sampler they just read Yahoo Answers and riff on it.

There is advice, but the majority of the show is them goofing on yahoo poo poo. The ratio of Yahoo to listener questions is fairly even though, and they do try to help the listeners in a jokey style so like, it's not Ask Abby or anything but there is some helpful advice in there.

Also it's not Ask Abby because you're not 90 when you consume it.

Jippa
Feb 13, 2009

Megaman's Jockstrap posted:

I forget the jargon, but in free too play computer games, it's some tiny percentage of users (like 5% or less) spending huge amounts of money that makes up a large portion of the income.

It is a weird business model I agree, but it seems to work.

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

What a horrible thread to have a post.

Jippa posted:

I forget the jargon, but in free too play computer games, it's some tiny percentage of users (like 5% or less) spending huge amounts of money that makes up a large portion of the income.

People who spend huge amounts of money on free-to-play games are called "whales".

That's not exactly what they are doing here, though, because they don't even give me the option to spend a small amount of money. You're either a whale or nothing at all.

inferis
Dec 30, 2003

While they encourage monthly donations because it's really important for figuring out how much they can pay their hosts you can also give a one time donation here https://people.maximumfun.org/civicrm/contribute/transact?reset=1&id=11

Thelonius Van Funk
Apr 7, 2007
Oh boy
I also have a feeling that if they more prominently featured the one-time donations a lot of people would do that instead of a monthly and that could easily lead to having to do more pledge drives every year. I think it's a calculated risk in that they most likely get less money overall, but it's at a much more constant rate

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

Thelonius Van Funk posted:

I also have a feeling that if they more prominently featured the one-time donations a lot of people would do that instead of a monthly and that could easily lead to having to do more pledge drives every year. I think it's a calculated risk in that they most likely get less money overall, but it's at a much more constant rate

Yea, they need a constant money flow, so it makes sense to focus on monthly stuff, nice to see the one time options still around though.

Also, on topic, loved this week's episode, the 'I don't call him daddy' random riffs were great.

dancehall
Sep 28, 2001

You say you want a revolution
The arguing about ghosts early in the Halloween episode got things off to a slow start, but the improvised ghost stories and "blast my caaaaaache!" were vintage MBMBaM bits. Great episode.

kuddles
Jul 16, 2006

Like a fist wrapped in blood...
Yeah, I'm a week behind on my podcast rotation so I only got to listen to it last night, but that Hallowe'en episode is easily one of the best they have ever done. There are a couple moments in the second half that I almost broke out crying.

Kinda miss the Girl Talk closer, though.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth
Hey guys this MBMBAM is all about death and insulting celebs but it has a five minute bit about Travis wanting to be the worst Iron Man who poops himself and it had me in tears so, basically, the best show.

Song For The Deaf
Aug 10, 2006

I HAVE TO USE MY SOUND SWORD NOW.
Contender for best ep ever.

marhom
Jul 1, 2004

bear is driving

Glitterbomber posted:

Hey guys this MBMBAM is all about death and insulting celebs but it has a five minute bit about Travis wanting to be the worst Iron Man who poops himself and it had me in tears so, basically, the best show.

Griffin's insanely enthusiastic "WATCH ME SHOOT MY BEAMS oh wait I don't have any beams? I'm just made of steel? gently caress me." is basically the best the show has ever been.

Beard Yawn
Apr 11, 2011

You would make a good Dalek.
Griffin basically has the best delivery on every line ever. "I love you Poppop. You're 22." had me rolling on the floor.

Song For The Deaf posted:

Contender for best ep ever.

Yeah but you're biased. :haw:

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

marhom posted:

Griffin's insanely enthusiastic "WATCH ME SHOOT MY BEAMS oh wait I don't have any beams? I'm just made of steel? gently caress me." is basically the best the show has ever been.

AVENGERS ASSEMBLE, I have pooped and peed in here a month ago.

Seriously this was a knockout episode, their genuine sounding exasperation and confusion at the end made it even better.

Song For The Deaf
Aug 10, 2006

"Travis, you've been grief-eating for like a decade now and it's not cool."

dancehall
Sep 28, 2001

You say you want a revolution
What if the five people you meet in heaven are 'N Sync?

Homeless Wonder
Sep 26, 2005
Not a stupid newbie
The Bronze Man goof made me make a fool of myself on the bus yesterday. I swear I am not crazy fellow commuters :shobon:

Roach Warehouse
Nov 1, 2010

Supes jealous that Justin got his hands on the Spacejam novelisation.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth
First prize, in this race around the world, this bronze sex prisoner.

What is last prize?

The Duke
May 19, 2004

The Angel from my Nightmare

I was outright cackling during the Halloween episode when Griffin went on that rant about 'blasting his cache'. He really does have the best delivery.

I'm pretty sad they are no longer sponsored by Extreme Restraints :( Haven't heard the newest one so I don't know if they're back or not but that truly was one of the best series of ads I've heard on a podcast.

Mogambo
Jan 6, 2011

:hurr:
This has been a public service announcement to put me on ignore.

The Duke posted:

I'm pretty sad they are no longer sponsored by Extreme Restraints :( Haven't heard the newest one so I don't know if they're back or not but that truly was one of the best series of ads I've heard on a podcast.

The Man Grate on the Proopcast was a close second. I kept waiting and waiting for the day they would finally realize that he was making fun of their dumb product the whole time.

RIP Extreme Restraints 2012-2012

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth
Extreme Restraints is back but maybe as a one time thing.

I hope they didn't stop because of jokes, I'd think people who get off on having their dicks zapped would be able to take a joke!

Oh and speaking of people into hosed up stuff, the whole first question revolves around them being baffled by a 'teen baby'.

sexpig by night fucked around with this message at 21:33 on Nov 26, 2012

Daius
Sep 10, 2010

I'm not sure why they keep answering Yahoo questions about people who have really weird fetishes if they've already decided that they can't really make fun of them. You could tell in this episode that they found the concept of teen babies super creepy but just held back kind of awkwardly and tiptoed around fully goofing on it.

Basically what I'm saying is the McElroys are too nice which is barely even a criticism, I'm just confused as to why they choose to continue taking these types of Yahoos.

Song For The Deaf
Aug 10, 2006

All horse questions, all the time.

Urk!
Sep 5, 2008

goobers

Daius posted:

I'm not sure why they keep answering Yahoo questions about people who have really weird fetishes if they've already decided that they can't really make fun of them. You could tell in this episode that they found the concept of teen babies super creepy but just held back kind of awkwardly and tiptoed around fully goofing on it.

Basically what I'm saying is the McElroys are too nice which is barely even a criticism, I'm just confused as to why they choose to continue taking these types of Yahoos.

It's got to be weird and difficult to do comedy podcasts while worrying about offending your fanbase. It's the internet; anyone could potentially be a subscriber.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

Daius posted:

Honestly I found them trying to be respectful of gross people to be the funniest part of them dealing with them. Like, straight up giving out websites to ugly geocities sites and just laughing at the names was great. There are tons of places to go for good old fashioned mockery, but hearing someone trying to tactfully call someone gross is delightful.

Moscow Mule
Dec 21, 2004

Nothing beats the taste sensation when maple syrup collides with ham.

plastered quack posted:

It's got to be weird and difficult to do comedy podcasts while worrying about offending your fanbase. It's the internet; anyone could potentially be a subscriber.

They've probably already annihilated their unk & peepum demographic.

Awesomonster
Feb 26, 2008

Because there's always an ending.
Also anyone named Ron.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jabronie
Jun 4, 2011

In an investigation, details matter.
Osama Bin Laden II? But terrorists hate cliches!

• Locked thread