Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Bob NewSCART
Feb 1, 2012

Outstanding afternoon. "I've often said there's nothing better for the inside of a man than the outside of a horse."

Does anyone know if chief Keef is actually a gangster or does he just talk about it? I know he got arrested for showing a gun to a cop but other than that I don't know if he's really good at pretending or he's actually real

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bliggers-
Dec 1, 2006
Back in business

I AM BRAWW posted:

Speaking of that (what I bolded), has anyone else watched those "GD's asking for money from Rick Ross due do him namedroping Larry Hoover and having a 6 point star with his face on his album cover. " ? Basically if you did not know, GD's (gangster disciples) 'leader' is Larry Hoover and one of their gang signs is a 6 point star, so they're making GBS threads all over Rick Ross now. I'm pretty sure there are 3 videos that surfaced of GD's in Alabama, Georgia and.. I forget the other, can't post links to 'em due to being on my phone. Anyways, it looked pretty funny especially since they were demanding checks and saying they're going after the whole Maybach music group.

That is the funniest loving poo poo. No, you cannot claim royalties over the fair use of your image or brand when your "brand" is a loving international cocaine cartel.

In other news and since I didn't see it posted, here's Chief Keef's Finally Rich tracklisting:

1. Love Sosa
2. Hallelujah
3. I Don't Like feat Lil Rees
4. No Tomorrow
5. Hate Bein Sober feat Wiz Khalifa and 50 Cent
6. Kay Kay
7. Laughin to the Bank
8. Diamonds feat French Montana
9. Ballin
10. Understand Me feat Young Jeezy
11. 3 Hunna feat Rick Ross
12. Finally Rich

No "bang" or "I don't know dem" but 3 hunna with rawse should be miles better than the original with Soulja Boy.

Bob NewSCART
Feb 1, 2012

Outstanding afternoon. "I've often said there's nothing better for the inside of a man than the outside of a horse."

Also if anyone is interested in that scene Fredo Santana is a lot more hosed up than Chief Keef. I linked one of his videos earlier in this thread "War"

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cSgmUpHmogw

temple
Jul 29, 2006

I have actual skeletons in my closet

Bob NewSCART posted:

Does anyone know if chief Keef is actually a gangster or does he just talk about it? I know he got arrested for showing a gun to a cop but other than that I don't know if he's really good at pretending or he's actually real
Anyone screaming BD and in Chicago had better well be one. Otherwise, who cares if he is like really really really really a gangsta.

temple fucked around with this message at 02:47 on Nov 14, 2012

John Brown
Jul 10, 2009

EDIT: This poo poo is tiring so let's keep it moving.

John Brown fucked around with this message at 02:54 on Nov 14, 2012

7 RING SHRIMP
Oct 3, 2012

Bob NewSCART posted:

Also if anyone is interested in that scene Fredo Santana is a lot more hosed up than Chief Keef. I linked one of his videos earlier in this thread "War"

Yeah I remember you posted this a couple weeks ago or something. Dude is crazy.

temple
Jul 29, 2006

I have actual skeletons in my closet

John Brown posted:

EDIT: This poo poo is tiring so let's keep it moving.

Its tiring because we are bumping up against the real issues. People care so it bothers them. I'd rather see people come out of hiphop threads and the hiphop bubble and talk about this stuff more often. But trying to balance music with social issues gets anyone down.

Tolkien minority
Feb 14, 2012

Bob NewSCART posted:

I don't really know anything about drill music or the chicago music scene, but this just sounds like sub-par trap music. Why would I ever listen to this over gucci, yo gotti, t.i. etc. Even the beat sounds like a lovely lex luger clone or something.

Bob NewSCART
Feb 1, 2012

Profondo Rosso posted:

I don't really know anything about drill music or the chicago music scene, but this just sounds like sub-par trap music. Why would I ever listen to this over gucci, yo gotti, t.i. etc. Even the beat sounds like a lovely lex luger clone or something.

I'm talking about the fact that he has multiple automatic weapons/extended clip pistols in the video

Is there any way to check out more young chop? hes dirty

Plum Chaser
Jul 2, 2011

by Lowtax

the black husserl posted:

I guess we'll to agree to disagree. Kendrick raps specifically and explicitly about delighting in violence. Keef threatens his enemies with "you gon get slumped over".

I don't think either of them are actually criminals. Did Keef or his crew really beat a woman? That's majorly hosed up, got a link?

I've always thought of Kendrick as kind of wanting to 'expose' how it was where he was raised, in Compton. He keeps it real, and by doing so he mentions violent activities such as gangbanging, home invasion, gang activites, etc.

But I don't think he does it in the same way as Keef does. The latter seems to kind of 'promote' it, not really giving a drat about it. Going as far as showing guns in his videos, repping his affiliation with the BD's, and so on.

While Kendrick is, like I said earlier, 'exposing' it. A couple lines kind in GKMC show that, one of the top of my head is in Art of Peer Pressure (song about how you act different when you're with your friends, in this case Kendrick robs a house, jumps people and smokes weed due to being 'with the homies') where he says he never was a gangbanger, but he never was a stranger to the folk neither.

Anyways, here's the video of Lil Reese beating up a girl who asked him to leave her house.

And to keep the music discussion moving, I haven't seen anyone post/talk about Ice Cube's single off of his new album coming out in 2013. Thoughts on it?

Slackerish
Jan 1, 2007

Hail Boognish

Bob NewSCART posted:

that, then violated his probation (although he did it for a Pitchfork video, lol), the whole Lil Reese beating up a woman thing (although that's just more mega hosed-up IMO) and he was under investigation for murder for a brief period of time (that stimmed basically from Chicago cops being racist and sayng 'well they had twitter beef so he might have done it').

but I mean, he's 17 and still has more "cred" than a lot of mainstream rappers, especially his age. He is 17 and from the ghetto in Chicago which is known for being mega hosed up so I'd say he's pretty "real."

Tolkien minority
Feb 14, 2012

Slackerish posted:

that, then violated his probation (although he did it for a Pitchfork video, lol), the whole Lil Reese beating up a woman thing (although that's just more mega hosed-up IMO) and he was under investigation for murder for a brief period of time (that stimmed basically from Chicago cops being racist and sayng 'well they had twitter beef so he might have done it').

but I mean, he's 17 and still has more "cred" than a lot of mainstream rappers, especially his age. He is 17 and from the ghetto in Chicago which is known for being mega hosed up so I'd say he's pretty "real."

important things to know about an artist: how real are they? how much street cred does he really have?

minor details: do I enjoy listening to the music?

this is almost as bad as a HIP HOP VS RAP discussion

thathonkey
Jul 17, 2012
also this exact same discussion has already happened, about 10 pages back or so

on an unrelated note: T.I. has put out a fairly bad remix of Clique. I guess I'll link it. Like why even bother putting something like this out? T.I. why man?

Boywhiz88
Sep 11, 2005

floating 26" off da ground. BURR!

thathonkey posted:

Btw I'm seeing Flocka in a couple of weeks... he is on some tour called "Waka & Friends" or something like that. Here is the full billing:

Line-up
Waka Flocka Flame
Wooh Da Kid
Reema Major
The Friends Fans

Anybody heard of any of these other people by chance or seen Waka before? I don't know what to expect. It is probably going to be awful, whatever.

Everyone was underwhelming except for Flocka. But it was hella fun and he didn't derive much from Flockaveli, Salute Me or Shoot Me 4, some Triple F Life and a few Lebron Flocka James 2 songs. A lot of energy and a lot of fun!

ashgromnies
Jun 19, 2004

dieFALKENATOR posted:

alansmithee >>> everyone else in the thread, it is honestly embarrassing to see kids try and step to

uhh, content, oh yeah - man, I love Green Ova & affiliates, of all these post-OF underground conglomerations (Greedhead, A$AP, Rvidxr Klvn, etc) they are the most prolific and the best bet for a good time... so sad Squadda deleted his youtube and twitter, he was the only rapper following me

anyway!

this 100s album Ice Cold Perm http://www.datpiff.com/100s-Ice-Cold-Perm-mixtape.409447.html is brilliant, stone cold macking (I say album because I bought it off bandcamp before it went on datpiff, livemixtapes, etc) Joe Wax produces the whole thing, heavy on the synths in a way I haven't heard since... what was that thing Kool Keith and Ice-T did together? Since that.

No one else has been talking about it but drat I am really feeling this album. (ok mixtape but it's more an album, you guys were talking about Mannie Fresh producing whole albums, well, dude's not Mannie but holy poo poo this is seriously good)

Production is awesome. Can't wait to play this in the car.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K6QSGtuTItM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nVpaHs-LKDQ

Slackerish posted:

I dunno I think the beef went deeper than just Twitter. http://newmediarockstars.com/2012/09/rap-beef-plays-out-on-youtube-twitter-ends-in-murder-the-lil-jojo-and-chief-keef-story/ and I recall there being a fight like the night before the shooting between their crews but I can't find the story again underneath all the coverage of the murder.

ashgromnies fucked around with this message at 05:53 on Nov 14, 2012

Tolkien minority
Feb 14, 2012

ashgromnies posted:

No one else has been talking about it but drat I am really feeling this album.

Production is awesome. Can't wait to play this in the car.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K6QSGtuTItM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nVpaHs-LKDQ

Ice cold perm owns, I posted it when it was released but no one seemed to listen to it/care :(

The entire thing is solid with no real weak tracks, but the stand outs are definitely My activator, Slow Drip & Power. "Romeo and Juliet, hot sex" is probably one of the funniest/my favorite hooks this year. The entire album is a cool fusion of the newer bay area rap sound with a more early 90 pimped out sound.

slow drip video:https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UhRuFhcfTK8&hd=1

edit: I think that kool keith project is analog brothers

double edit: ahaha relistening to pimp to eat (analog brothers) theres even a song about perms on the album. Also kool keith used to loving rip poo poo

Tolkien minority fucked around with this message at 06:17 on Nov 14, 2012

The Doo Do Chasers
Dec 27, 2008

:fella:Life is overwhelming:fella:

Bob NewSCART posted:

I'm talking about the fact that he has multiple automatic weapons/extended clip pistols in the video

Is there any way to check out more young chop? hes dirty

He did the first half of the new Doe Boy tape with Lex Luger doing the other half an really branching out (its not that great sounding but at least he's trying something new with his sound). Chop also has a group called 8TMG that has one tape and another one coming out sometime soon.

het
Nov 14, 2002

A dark black past
is my most valued
possession

temple posted:

I've been at work and all...

I like the article about Chicago violence and Chief Keef. Its good to point out the cultural distance between music journalists and hiphop's violent subject matter. But its nothing new. Cats are dying every day in the street. Don't get hussy about it because you just woke up and realized it. Raising awareness is lame, trying to shame some sites for discussing only music is lame. It was the music that got your attention. Get over your guilt and either focus on the music or focus on the issues. But don't weep because that accomplishes zilch except make you feel better about yourself.
You say it's good to point out the cultural distance and then spend the rest of the paragraph criticizing doing exactly that. I don't think it's a one-or-the-other kind of deal, and I think that sites that have that cultural distance then distance their readers without their readers necessarily being aware of it. You can listen to the music and enjoy it and still be aware of the issues (the fact that this discussion is happening here is evidence of that).

quote:

I think those sites genuinely appreciate the nihilism and desperation of Chicago drill music. Its something to behold. That's music appreciation. As long as they respect something, I'm for it. That's why Rap Genius pisses me off so much. Those guys just seem like they don't really care about anything, except making money and being the next Zuckerbergs.
I think obviously the people running Rap Genius are awful, but I'm pretty ambivalent about the existence of such a site in general. The fact that it's rap-centric when general sites like this have existed for many years is probably indicative of some endemic bias, but the general idea of informing people of the meanings behind lyrics seems more or less to be a good thing even if I think it's really nerdy and missing the point a lot of the time.

temple posted:

Which, I'll just say America is hosed up and you can't start criticizing hiphop without looking at the big picture. Bloggers, artists, fans...those are small beans and unfair to target when you look at how hiphop mirrors society more so than it informs.

That was the most shameful thing and crystalizes the whole issue. But don't blame Pitchfork. They are just playing their role. Chief Keef, the viewers, errybody is guilty on some level for that happening.
I get your point that there's often a double standard when it comes to criticism of hip hop but I don't really get the "don't blame Pitchfork" part. I guess I don't understand what you think a proper discussion of these issues would be. Talking about any one part of the problem is implicitly damning it more than others, but how do we talk about the larger issues without at some point talking about specifics?

THNDRTHF
Apr 14, 2004

so much for
bein' optimistic

THNDRTHF on page 397 posted:

goons judging what's "really hood" itt

Profondo Rosso posted:

important things to know about an artist: how real are they? how much street cred does he really have?

het
Nov 14, 2002

A dark black past
is my most valued
possession
I miss Jock Mocken.

7 RING SHRIMP
Oct 3, 2012

Which one of you did this?

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3517314

Bstyles posted:

I apologize if I am being incoherent right now and the grammar isn't correct. The details aren't too clear right now for me. However, I got into a fight with a group of people and got knocked out.(I now know what "lights being knocked out" means. I was in the hospital for 28 hours. I suffered a severe concussion from what the doctor told me, no xrays no nothing(I think my jaw is broke).

A random stranger saw me knocked out for about 5 minutes then decided to call 911. I woke up in an ambulance then went back to "sleep". I woke up in Grady Hospital in Atlanta. The nurses and doctors didn't do much for me, I don't think. I remember waking up again around 5 in the morning and asked for a cup of water because I was so dehyrdated and it took the nurse 15 minutes just to give me the cup of water. Anyway, me not really knowing anything on why I was there I refused to sign any type of paperwork they offered me.

Will the hospital charge me still? Again, sorry if i'm not making any sense in this post.

cardedagain
Aug 28, 2006

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VG1cb-G0Jj0

live performance from Lil Ugly Mane somewhere in that video.

THNDRTHF
Apr 14, 2004

so much for
bein' optimistic

het posted:

I miss Jock Mocken.

sorry het now that kendrick lamar is out there's no more rap to talk about

Slackerish
Jan 1, 2007

Hail Boognish

Profondo Rosso posted:

I was just answering the dude's question, I don't like Chief Keef very much cause I find him boring (though this is based off of what very little of him I've listened to), his street cred has nothing to do with it.

thathonkey
Jul 17, 2012
I dislike Chief Keef because he loving sucks at rapping, mainly. Young Chop on the other hand, that dude has skills. I hope he starts producing for some real talent.

Oh and Bstyles got jumped I guess, dude lives in Atlanta and thinks it is OK to say the n-word I honestly can't imagine an altercation ever arising

farmtrill
Feb 2, 2006

Profondo Rosso posted:

see this is what im not understanding myself. can someone who is into 'drill' please clarify?

is it just a handy name for the music coming out of chicago or are people claiming it as a new sound entirely? im not very knowledgeable on the whole thing but everything ive heard just seems to be dudes rapping about beating people up and shooting them over trap beats, rather than rapping about selling crack. other than that i cant really tell the difference

THNDRTHF
Apr 14, 2004

so much for
bein' optimistic
new Obie Trice poo poo:

http://www.hiphopdx.com/index/singles/id.22720/title.obie-trice-no-disrespect

The the high pitch noise in the beat is a little too repetitive for me. He still killin it the same as always tho.

bows1
May 16, 2004

Chill, whale, chill

haha *sigh* BStyles

thathonkey
Jul 17, 2012
Obie Trice is the man. Didn't know he was still active, is he working on a project these days?

doctor thodt
Apr 2, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Big Boi sounds a lil sore about Andre.
http://blogs.villagevoice.com/music/2012/11/big_boi_outkast_vicious.php?page=2

thathonkey
Jul 17, 2012
Yeah I'm pretty much done dreaming on another Outkast album. Sigh. Andre still kills just about every feature he does. He single handedly made Carter IV have a track worth listening to on it, for me at least.

The Doo Do Chasers
Dec 27, 2008

:fella:Life is overwhelming:fella:

farmtrill posted:

see this is what im not understanding myself. can someone who is into 'drill' please clarify?

is it just a handy name for the music coming out of chicago or are people claiming it as a new sound entirely? im not very knowledgeable on the whole thing but everything ive heard just seems to be dudes rapping about beating people up and shooting them over trap beats, rather than rapping about selling crack. other than that i cant really tell the difference

Its the former pretty much, unless I'm missing something too.

bows1
May 16, 2004

Chill, whale, chill
Roommate is interviewing Gunplay in a few minutes.

Anyone have any questions for him? He might be able to sneak a few in

UP AND ADAM
Jan 24, 2007
I don't know how interested anyone would be in Heems from Das Racist answering questions on reddit, but he's doing that now. Being an "underground" rap sensation must be so tiresome in the year 2012.

Anyways, he released a solo mixtape today too. http://www.livemixtapes.com/mixtapes/19658/heems-wild-water-kingdom.html I haven't listened yet.

the black husserl
Feb 25, 2005

bows1 posted:

Ask him if he thinks of himself as theatrical, or a performer, or if he considers himself similar to Busta Rhymes.

UP AND ADAM posted:

Anyways, he released a solo mixtape today too. http://www.livemixtapes.com/mixtapes/19658/heems-wild-water-kingdom.html I haven't listened yet.

This is dire. He wastes so many good beats, especially the title track.

the black husserl fucked around with this message at 23:14 on Nov 14, 2012

blitzkreig.bmp
Aug 7, 2008

Rottin' and Rollin'

bows1 posted:

Ask him about his hair.

Tolkien minority
Feb 14, 2012

i dont understand why das racist blew up. I understand they rock the whole lazy rapping style but they just arent very... good at it. literally every feature I have heard from them has killed the song

Boywhiz88
Sep 11, 2005

floating 26" off da ground. BURR!
Ask him if we can get Gunplay x Metro Zu soon!!! I know it's too late. But I'd kill for that.

Tolkien minority
Feb 14, 2012

Boywhiz88 posted:

Ask him if we can get Gunplay x Metro Zu soon!!! I know it's too late. But I'd kill for that.

You're Welcome :smug:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hxm4Hhq5PPw&hd=1

this may not have been what you were looking for

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bob NewSCART
Feb 1, 2012

Can anyone who fucks with MF Doom recommend me some poo poo to get into

• Locked thread