Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

What's frustrating is Microsoft could have come out with a Surface Pro with an Atom in the exact same form factor as the current Surface RT (touch keyboard and everything) with possibly better performance and very minimal compromise to battery life.

Had they done that, i would have ordered on day one.

Surface Pro tablets don't all have to be 2lb half-ultrabooks with i5s. It is possible to build one with the same size/weight constraints as the Surface RT and you really wouldn't have to sacrifice much of anything.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CUNT AND PASTE
Aug 15, 2004

~see my amazon wishlistu~
Had to give up on downloading wallpaper from deviantArt because its packed in .7z format and the only app that will unpack it costs $5.

dorkanoid
Dec 21, 2004

oval office AND PASTE posted:

Had to give up on downloading wallpaper from deviantArt because its packed in .7z format and the only app that will unpack it costs $5.

http://www.7-zip.org/ ?

EDIT: Didn't see which thread I was in :v: so I guess there's no RT native app... Can't you repack on a different computer then?

Rawrbomb
Mar 11, 2011

rawrrrrr

unpack it on your main computer of choice, put it in your skydrive.

Happy_Misanthrope
Aug 3, 2007

"I wanted to kill you, go to your funeral, and anyone who showed up to mourn you, I wanted to kill them too."

Just right-click save your dick-making GBS threads nipples anime wallpaper silly.

IcedPee
Jan 11, 2008

Yarrrr! I be here to plunder the fun outta me workplace! Avast!

FREE DECAHEDRON!

Happy_Misanthrope posted:

Just right-click save your dick-making GBS threads nipples anime wallpaper silly.

The meme is making GBS threads dick nipples. Jesus christ, you aren't even trying anymore.

Also, if you're using WinRT, I'm guessing you don't have a mouse (can you use a mouse with WinRT? I'm genuinely curious about that one) so you'd have to long-press.

Macichne Leainig
Jul 26, 2012

by VG

IcedPee posted:

The meme is making GBS threads dick nipples. Jesus christ, you aren't even trying anymore.

Also, if you're using WinRT, I'm guessing you don't have a mouse (can you use a mouse with WinRT? I'm genuinely curious about that one) so you'd have to long-press.

Absolutely you can use a mouse.

I plugged in one of those Microsoft unified receivers into my Vivo Tab RT and everything (well, I didn't try any of the fancy media buttons) worked.

It's literally Windows for ARM.

GameCube
Nov 21, 2006

IcedPee posted:

The WinRT Windows RT gesture for a right-click isn't long-press, it's "tickle." Seriously.

A Frosty Witch
Apr 21, 2005

I was just looking at it and I suddenly got this urge to get inside. No, not just an urge - more than that. It was my destiny to be here; in the box.

Werthog posted:

The WinRT Windows RT gesture for a right-click isn't long-press, it's "tickle." Seriously.

Please explain this to me

GameCube
Nov 21, 2006

larchesdanrew posted:

Please explain this to me

It's a tiny little swipe. Swipe it too far and you'll either scroll or drag.

Happy_Misanthrope
Aug 3, 2007

"I wanted to kill you, go to your funeral, and anyone who showed up to mourn you, I wanted to kill them too."

IcedPee posted:

Edit: On second thought, you're right. Enough with this tomfoolery in this gadgets subforum of a comedy website.

oval office N Paste, I'm sorry. Not only did I not mean to imply you wanted to download dick-making GBS threads nipples images, I also did not want to imply you wanted to download making GBS threads dick nipples imagery.

Hope we're still cool :kiddo:

Happy_Misanthrope fucked around with this message at 20:10 on Nov 9, 2012

EvilBit
Nov 25, 2005

It is hard to get a lady to evaluate to true.

IcedPee posted:

Both the Touch Cover and the Type Cover have touchpads built-in that provide left- and right-click functionality.

CUNT AND PASTE
Aug 15, 2004

oval office N Paste, I'm sorry. Not only did I not mean to imply you wanted to download dick-making GBS threads nipples images, I also did not want to imply you wanted to download making GBS threads dick nipples imagery.

That's OK, Happy_Misanthrope, because this thread now implies that I don't know how to move files between devices, or that I have no idea how to right-click, when I was clearly expressing frustration with my no-compromises tablet.

IcedPee
Jan 11, 2008

Yarrrr! I be here to plunder the fun outta me workplace! Avast!

FREE DECAHEDRON!

Werthog posted:

Haha, holy poo poo. Seriously? I am gonna "tickle" pretty much every boob I see with one of those devices for about a week. Yes, I am an adult. Yes, I do act like a teenage boy at every opportunity.

EvilBit posted:

Both the Touch Cover and the Type Cover have touchpads built-in that provide left- and right-click functionality.

You're completely right. I forgot about the touchpads. Mostly serious question: Can you also "tickle" with the touchpad?

EvilBit
Nov 25, 2005

IcedPee posted:

You're completely right. I forgot about the touchpads. Mostly serious question: Can you also "tickle" with the touchpad?

I seem to recall it not working, but only because you can right-click to select something just as easily, if not moreso.

EvilBit
Nov 25, 2005

That's OK, Happy_Misanthrope, because this thread now implies that I don't know how to move files between devices, or that I have no idea how to right-click, when I was clearly expressing frustration with my no-compromises tablet.

You said you "gave up on downloading" the files. People stepped in to try and offer solutions. You're just being an rear end in a top hat.

Macichne Leainig
Jul 26, 2012

by VG

But you don't know how to do any of this. Because the OS never explains how to.

Happy_Misanthrope
Aug 3, 2007

EvilBit posted:

You said you "gave up on downloading" the files. People stepped in to try and offer solutions. You're just being an rear end in a top hat.

The "solution" involved performing this task on anything but the device he was actually using, or from C&P's own discovery, paying $5 to unpack a common file format that is free to unpack/pack almost everywhere else, and certainly in the (seemingly) exact same desktop environment as using a "real" Win8 system. Even that solution would require you to leave the desktop environment and explorer to use a Metro interface for navigating the file system and unpacking a file, which is pretty sub-optimal.

People can legitimately gripe about the user experience of devices, especially when they have one in their possession. This is why this is forum is a discussion sub-forum, if you want this forum to be strictly tech support, there's no need - there's already a forum dedicated for that purpose.

C&P not immediately responding with "That's a great idea! I'll go use another PC for this!" is not making GBS threads on the person making the suggestion or being deliberately stubborn, and complaining about it does not automatically mean the poster has no way to figure out a solution for themselves as well. It's simply a critique of the design of the product which should be perfectly valid - albeit in IYG, it apparently means you're weak/stubborn/nitpicky/an rear end in a top hat.

Happy_Misanthrope fucked around with this message at 22:19 on Nov 9, 2012

Happy_Misanthrope
Aug 3, 2007

Protocol7 posted:

But you don't know how to do any of this. Because the OS never explains how to.
I take it this is a jokey comment regarding the familiar critique on the lack of discoverability in Win8, but I'm actually curious as to what happens in Windows RT on the desktop when you try to open a file format it doesn't understand.

In 7, it will give you the option to search the web for an appropriate application to open the file if it can't find one on your system. It may not walk you through the steps of installing 7Zip, but it will at least direct you to the most likely website to download an app that does.

So C&P, what happened on the RT desktop when you tried to open a .7zip file? Does it just say "Na.", or does it at least direct you to the MS store to download an app? If it does that it's something I guess, although being ripped out of the desktop environment and then have to navigate a wholly different interface to perform a file operation on the desktop would still be pretty disconcerting to those new to the system (and those who just find it awkward in general).

Kazy
Oct 23, 2006

0x141 KERNEL PANIC

I take it this is a jokey comment regarding the familiar critique on the lack of discoverability in Win8, but I'm actually curious as to what happens in Windows RT on the desktop when you try to open a file format it doesn't understand.

In 7, it will give you the option to search the web for an appropriate application to open the file if it can't find one on your system. It may not walk you through the steps of installing 7Zip, but it will at least direct you to the most likely website to download an app that does.

So C&P, what happened on the RT desktop when you tried to open a .7zip file? Does it just say "Na.", or does it at least direct you to the MS store to download an app? If it does that it's something I guess, although being ripped out of the desktop environment and then have to navigate a wholly different interface to perform a file operation on the desktop would still be pretty disconcerting to those new to the system (and those who just find it awkward in general).

The Windows 8 "Open With" dialogue is Metro style and lets you search the Store now I think.

And I've been reading up on Windows 8 for ages now and I didn't know about the right-click gesture. I'm still not sure I get it :psyduck: I could have sworn it was just press-and-hold

Happy_Misanthrope
Aug 3, 2007

Kazy posted:

The Windows 8 "Open With" dialogue is Metro style and lets you search the Store now I think.
Well that's some help at least, but I can see the lack of integration with the desktop confusing the heck out of some people when they're trying to open a file from the desktop.

quote:

And I've been reading up on Windows 8 for ages now and I didn't know about the right-click gesture. I'm still not sure I get it :psyduck: I could have sworn it was just press-and-hold

Nah, MS recommends against using press-and-hold as a context action in their Metro UX guidelines, it disrupts the "fast and fluid" experience and stands in contrast to the rest of the interface which is heavily focused on swipes or..er..."tickles".

Press and hold is used quite a bit in Winphone 7.5 however.

GameCube
Nov 21, 2006

Kazy posted:

Here's the official blogpost that mentions it. Though they don't use the term, I swear I've seen the word "tickle" used by someone from Microsoft somewhere.

EvilBit
Nov 25, 2005

C&P not immediately responding with "That's a great idea! I'll go use another PC for this!" is not making GBS threads on the person making the suggestion or being deliberately stubborn, and complaining about it does not automatically mean the poster has no way to figure out a solution for themselves as well. It's simply a critique of the design of the product which should be perfectly valid - albeit in IYG, it apparently means you're weak/stubborn/nitpicky/an rear end in a top hat.

Actually, the mature thing for C&P to do would have been to appreciate the fact that people were trying to offer earnest suggestions to solve her problem and then point out that those solutions were sub-optimal. Instead she basically called out the people genuinely trying to help as sub-optimal. That's why I called her an rear end in a top hat, not because she disagrees with them.

EDIT: gender fixin'

EvilBit fucked around with this message at 23:34 on Nov 9, 2012

CUNT AND PASTE
Aug 15, 2004

she

What was confusing bit was that (modern)IE10 offered to open or save the file. I incorrectly assumed that Windows was communicating to me that it knew how to handle the file type already. It doesn't. IE just downloaded the file to %temp%, and then asks the system to open it. This is completely backwards from how every other phone/tablet I've used behaves.

Yes, it did offer to search for apps from the store that could handle it. I got three results, one was the $5 "Unpacker", the other two were Metro file managers, neither mentioned .7z compatibility in their descriptions.

I just realized this I'll have to run Disk Cleanup to wipe it out of the %temp% folder.

Anyway, all I wanted to do was to post my frustration over this because it was not immediately obvious to a Windows power user. I'm well aware that I can get out of bed and sort it out on a real computer. I felt that I shouldn't have to.

CUNT AND PASTE fucked around with this message at 23:34 on Nov 9, 2012

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

If you're having problems you're either holding the phone wrong or you have tiny girl hands.
Let the discounting begin.

http://asia.cnet.com/asus-vivo-tab-rt-discounted-to-us549-62219425.htm

Free dock and $50 off.

Fatal
Jul 29, 2004

I'm gunna kill you BITCH!!!

Protocol7 posted:

The Thinkpad Tablet 2 looks appetizing, aside from the terrible keyboard dock. Inbuilt stylus, Atom SoC. I would have totally bought that if the keyboard dock actually made it a convertible laptop instead of a tablet with a dumb keyboard dock.

You want the Thinkpad "Helix"
http://www.engadget.com/2012/10/30/thinkpad-helix-appears-on-lenovos-israeli-website/

I want the Thinkpad "Helix"

My company just became a Lenovo reseller, I hope we get these soon...

Macichne Leainig
Jul 26, 2012

by VG

Got mine for $500 and free dock from Micro Center. :v:

Fatal posted:

You want the Thinkpad "Helix"
http://www.engadget.com/2012/10/30/thinkpad-helix-appears-on-lenovos-israeli-website/

I want the Thinkpad "Helix"

My company just became a Lenovo reseller, I hope we get these soon...

I don't want that at all. 1080p on an 11.6 inch screen? I mean it looks better than the Thinkpad tablet 2, but like it's some weird combination of a tablet and a net book with the advantages of neither.

New Yorp New Yorp
Jul 18, 2003

Only in Kenya.
Pillbug

paying $5 to unpack a common file format that is free to unpack/pack almost everywhere else

I wouldn't call 7zip a "common" file format. It's unfortunate that no one has written a free program to decompress them yet, though.

Happy_Misanthrope
Aug 3, 2007

EvilBit posted:

Actually, the mature thing for C&P to do would have been to appreciate the fact that people were trying to offer earnest suggestions to solve her problem and then point out that those solutions were sub-optimal. Instead she basically called out the people genuinely trying to help as sub-optimal. That's why I called her an rear end in a top hat, not because she disagrees with them.

EDIT: gender fixin'

The mature thing.

Christ this thread has more pearl-clutching than a Peggy Noonan column.

Joe 30330
Dec 20, 2007

"We have this notion that if you're poor, you cannot do it. Poor kids are just as bright and just as talented as white kids."

As the audience reluctantly began to applaud during the silence, Biden tried to fix his remarks.

"Wealthy kids, black kids, Asian kids -- no, I really mean it." Biden said.

Ithaqua posted:

I wouldn't call 7zip a "common" file format. It's unfortunate that no one has written a free program to decompress them yet, though.

7zip is pretty common.

EvilBit
Nov 25, 2005

The mature thing.

Christ this thread has more pearl-clutching than a Peggy Noonan column.

Okay, so you really do just scoff at everything by default, regardless of any actual value or lack thereof. Got it.

commish
Sep 17, 2009

So, the two week return period is over, and I decided to keep the Surface, sold my ipad 3, and cancelled my ipad 4 order. It's just so much better for productivity, couldn't really go back to iOS, which feels a bit antiquated and limited these days. Being able to leave my house with just my tablet and know that I can do work without a problem if something comes up is just... liberating and is exactly how I want to be able to use a tablet. So far, so good.

As for the 7zip stuff going on in here, 8 zip, which is free, will support it in their next update. I know we all expected universal file support at launch, but it's coming!

Stick100
Mar 18, 2003

Ithaqua posted:

7zip is extremely common.

Kazy
Oct 23, 2006

0x141 KERNEL PANIC

Yes, it did offer to search for apps from the store that could handle it. I got three results, one was the $5 "Unpacker", the other two were Metro file managers, neither mentioned .7z compatibility in their descriptions.

Did you try to download the free ones anyway? I'm thinking while it doesn't directly mention it in the description, it had to register the filetype in order to be a result in that search.

BunLengthHotDog
Jun 30, 2003

Good Game
Doh, wrong thread

CUNT AND PASTE
Aug 15, 2004

Kazy posted:

Did you try to download the free ones anyway? I'm thinking while it doesn't directly mention it in the description, it had to register the filetype in order to be a result in that search.

No, I didn't, because I saw how the 'trial' for the other went and just stopped there. What's the point in running into the same wall three times?

I don't think they were free, either. I remember one was $1.49.

Mister Fister
May 17, 2008

D&D: HASBARA SQUAD
KILL-GORE

I love the smell of dead Palestinians in the morning.
You know, one time we had Gaza bombed for 26 days
(and counting!)
So is there a thread for x86 non-rt win 8 tablets? I tried looking on IYG and SHSC...

Kazy
Oct 23, 2006

0x141 KERNEL PANIC

Mister Fister posted:

So is there a thread for x86 non-rt win 8 tablets? I tried looking on IYG and SHSC...

I think this is the thread for that until some actually come out. ThinkPad Tablet 2 had a date of November 16, but it's been delayed again :(

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

Kazy posted:

I think this is the thread for that until some actually come out. ThinkPad Tablet 2 had a date of November 16, but it's been delayed again :(

Are all Atom processor tablets delayed or is Lenovo just having supply chain issues again?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kazy
Oct 23, 2006

0x141 KERNEL PANIC

evilweasel posted:

Are all Atom processor tablets delayed or is Lenovo just having supply chain issues again?

I think both? Samsung ATIV Smart PC (god what a dumb long name) seems to be the only one that's out, and only then in limited supply at Staples.

• Locked thread