Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
az
Dec 2, 2005

I just played some Black Ops 2 (yes kill me now) and the third mission has you shoot tanks with a Stinger. :psyduck:

And yeah what WB said, AT rockets and missiles have penetrating warheads most of the time while AA missiles are designed to shred a larger area and damage the planes frame.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Brown Moses
Feb 22, 2002

farraday posted:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=2aRRCJCgHqg

Closest I can offer you is this video of what looks like an MANPAD smoke spiral missing a plane that is probably way out of range. Some other videos of them being aimed upward, not just shown off, but I haven't seen anything showing one being fired.

BM?

Of course the Amy is also busting out the anti air.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R53WCHc8qTQ&feature=plcp

Shilka's really do look much more terrifying than the tanks, but they're tall and flat sided with paper thin armor. Basically RPG bait.

CJ Chivers did a post on SA-7s being used by the opposition that's worth a read
http://atwar.blogs.nytimes.com/2012/10/15/heat-seeking-missiles-in-syria-the-sa-7-in-action-with-rebels/

Xandu
Feb 19, 2006

It's hard to be humble when you're as great as I am.

quote:

When Ronald Neumann began his Foreign Service career in the early 1970s, he sometimes carried a pistol to protect himself. It was a reasonable precaution. American diplomats in those days lived without benefit of blast walls or security advisers, even in volatile countries, and consulates were at times housed on the ground floors of apartment buildings, with local families living on the upper stories. Neumann worked with a freedom that is scarcely imaginable for many diplomats today; he could go anywhere, by himself, and talk to anyone. In the early ’80s, when he was the deputy mission chief in Yemen, Neumann got wind of a threat to burn down the embassy building in the capital, Sana. The Arab world was in turmoil at the time, after an Israeli invasion of Lebanon and months of mounting violence. Much of the anger was directed at Americans. The embassy was easily accessible to any passer-by, an ordinary house in a residential neighborhood with no police protection. But Neumann — whose boss was out of the country at the time — did not close it down. Then things became more serious: there were rumors that angry Palestinians in Sana were planning to attack Neumann’s house. Neumann, a taciturn Vietnam veteran, took it in stride. “I brought a shotgun home from the embassy and locked the front gate,” Neumann told me. “My wife asked me if there was anything else we could do. I told her no. So she said, ‘In that case I’ve got some curtains I’ve been meaning to wash; I might as well do it now.’ I remember thinking, This is probably how they handled it when the Indian raids went down in the old West; just stay inside and mend the saddles.”

Very good anecdote

http://www.nytimes.com/2012/11/18/magazine/christopher-stevens-and-the-problem-of-american-diplomacy.html

Brown Moses
Feb 22, 2002

CJ Chivers wrote about my SA-16 and SA-24 find on the At War blog, providing lots more details.

Warcabbit
Apr 26, 2008

Wedge Regret

Warbadger posted:

I'm comparing the large caliber 88mm AA gun that was found useful against tanks in WWII (which the poster was referencing) to modern AA guns as found in places like Syria which are of substantially smaller caliber because nobody uses large caliber AAA anymore.

I was actually talking about the advanced missile systems that are now being seen in Syrian hands. The SA-16s and 24s. Sorry, easy to get my comment wrong in context. Yes, they'll threaten pilots more, but I'm thinking they might wind up actually being used as ground to ground weapons, not ground to air.

CeeJee
Dec 4, 2001
Oven Wrangler
According to the movie Syriana a Stinger missile can even sink a supertanker.

reagan
Apr 29, 2008

by Lowtax

Warcabbit posted:

I was actually talking about the advanced missile systems that are now being seen in Syrian hands. The SA-16s and 24s. Sorry, easy to get my comment wrong in context. Yes, they'll threaten pilots more, but I'm thinking they might wind up actually being used as ground to ground weapons, not ground to air.

They already covered that, too. Surface to air missiles don't work that way!

Invalido
Dec 28, 2005

BICHAELING

HoveringCheesecake posted:

They already covered that, too. Surface to air missiles don't work that way!

This one does, at least partly, having both fragmentary and shaped charge warhead(s):
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/RBS_70
Obviously not for shooting at MBT's with, more like a SAM with a limited amount of capability against thinner-skinned ground targets of opportunity.

Corny
Feb 18, 2006

i am scared
A poo poo storm has just opened in Israel/Gaza

quote:

Israel launched a military operation in Gaza on Wednesday, killing Hamas military chief Ahmed Jabari in an airstrike. Following four days of escalation on the Israel-Gaza border, Israel renewed its policy of targeted assassinations and killed the head of Hamas' military wing. Jabari, 52, was the man behind the abduction of IDF soldier Gilad Shalit in 2006.

Ahmed Jabari, head of Hamas' military wing, was killed Wednesday in a targeted strike by Israeli forces in the Gaza Strip.

The Palestinian Islamist group said an Israeli airstrike hit a car in the Gaza Strip, killing both Jabari, who ran the organization's armed wing, the Izz el-Deen Al-Qassam, and a passenger.

Israel's Shin Bet domestic intelligence service confirmed it had carried out the attack, saying it had killed Jabari because of his "decade-long terrorist activity."

IDF Spokesperson said the purpose of the strikes was to deal a heavy blow to the Hamas command and control apparatus and to the organization's terrorist infrastructure.

The incident appeared to end a 24-hour lull in cross-border violence that surged this week.

Jabari is the most senior Hamas official to be killed since Operation Cast Lead in Gaza four years ago. He has long topped Israel's most-wanted list.

http://www.haaretz.com/news/diplomacy-defense/hamas-military-chief-ahmed-jabari-killed-by-israeli-strike-1.477819

Pureauthor
Jul 8, 2010

ASK ME ABOUT KISSING A GHOST
Oh for gently caress's sake.

Darkman Fanpage
Jul 4, 2012
Well this should be fun.

Also since we don't have an Africa thread.

Uganda to pass anti-gay law as 'Christmas gift'

:ohdearsass:

Darkman Fanpage fucked around with this message at 17:34 on Nov 14, 2012

Goatman Sacks
Apr 4, 2011

by FactsAreUseless

Plucky little Israel, starting another war of aggression.

Mc Do Well
Aug 2, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

Goatman Sacks posted:

Plucky little Israel, starting another war of aggression.

Would you want rockets landing in your children's bedroom? I don't think so. :smuggo:

*F16 bombing run on densely populated urban area*

Dead Reckoning
Sep 13, 2011

McDowell posted:

Would you want rockets landing in your children's bedroom? I don't think so. :smuggo:

*F16 bombing run on densely populated urban area*
There's nothing in Law of Armed Conflict that says you have to use force proportional to your enemies' means, only force proportional to the military objective.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

Crasscrab posted:

Well this should be fun.

Also since we don't have an Africa thread.

Uganda to pass anti-gay law as 'Christmas gift'

:ohdearsass:

Grand. I hope the FRC is happy.

Adrastus
Apr 1, 2012

by toby

Dead Reckoning posted:

There's nothing in Law of Armed Conflict that says you have to use force proportional to your enemies' means, only force proportional to the military objective.

I don't think he was questioning the legality of Israeli military doctrine, just the morality.

Mc Do Well
Aug 2, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
More the absurdity of it. Israel should just annex Gaza already, or let Egypt do it.

RonaldResin
Mar 30, 2010
Hypocrisy is the word that came to my mind.

Cozy Hemp Mines
May 16, 2009

by Fistgrrl

If Hamas wants to trade Katyushas for precision airstrikes, Israel has shown that it will always take that deal. Israel, not surprisingly, was serious when it said the rocket attacks against civilians must stop. It looks like Shin Bet took care and blew up his vehicle in an intersection to avoid damage to nearby homes, a kinder and gentler Israel.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/worldnews/middleeast/israel/9678575/Moment-Hamas-military-chiefs-car-hit-by-Israeli-air-strike.html

Job Truniht
Nov 7, 2012

MY POSTS ARE REAL RETARDED, SIR

Dead Reckoning posted:

:airquote: "Force proportional to the military objective" :airquote:

Job Truniht fucked around with this message at 19:38 on Nov 14, 2012

Danger
Jan 4, 2004

all desire - the thirst for oil, war, religious salvation - needs to be understood according to what he calls 'the demonogrammatical decoding of the Earth's body'
So I guess Israel is shelling Gaza and preparing for a prolonged incursion.

Darkman Fanpage
Jul 4, 2012
Invoking "the rules", Israel mulls toppling Abbas

quote:

Israel may try to topple President Mahmoud Abbas if he carries out a plan to ask the United Nations this month to upgrade the status of the Palestinian Authority, an official said on Wednesday.

Good luck with that, Israel.

Zeroisanumber
Oct 23, 2010

Nap Ghost

Lieberman must be out of his loving mind if he thinks that that will lead to anything but war, possibly war with other states in the region. And testing Obama's patience when he's in his second term and has no love for the current Israeli government is really really stupid.

Vladimir Putin
Mar 17, 2007

by R. Guyovich
That just shows me how desperate Israel is for the PA not to join the UN and how they can't stop it with any other measure,

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

Vladimir Putin posted:

That just shows me how desperate Israel is for the PA not to join the UN and how they can't stop it with any other measure,

Its literally the Israeli's stomping their feet and throwing a temper tantrum.

They are determined to drag the Gaza strip further into Chaos, UN and US be damned.

mila kunis
Jun 10, 2011
Forget the murdered Palestinians guys, here's the real victim: the markets

http://www.washingtonpost.com/busin...73ac_story.html

Corny
Feb 18, 2006

i am scared

Vladimir Putin posted:

This has nothing to do with the PA joining the UN, this is a show in the worst way possible by Netanyahu for the election, so that his coalition can boast that they are "protecting Israel"

Friendly Factory
Apr 19, 2007

I can't stand the wailing of women

Dead Reckoning posted:

Oh good, people are whiteknighting Israel's immoral military activities again

GrizzlyCow
May 30, 2011

Corny posted:

This has nothing to do with the PA joining the UN, this is a show in the worst way possible by Netanyahu for the election, so that his coalition can boast that they are "protecting Israel"

IS that what this is about? Political cred?

I am ignorant of the history of Israel, so I must ask a simple question: What has Palestine done that was so bad that Israel need to habitually attack them?

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

GrizzlyCow posted:

I am ignorant of the history of Israel, so I must ask a simple question: What has Palestine done that was so bad that Israel need to habitually attack them?

Terrorism. :v:

In reality, its about land grabs and claiming more of the Gaza strip.

Darkman Fanpage
Jul 4, 2012

GrizzlyCow posted:

Exist.

Rent-A-Cop
Oct 15, 2004

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

That and firing rockets indiscriminately at civilian targets. Which is pretty much the entire region's hobby.

Videogame Stench
Feb 11, 2011

I'm sure this was a precise surgical strike with no damage to civilans at all ... lol

https://twitter.com/WilliamsJon/status/268802995695779840

Brown Moses
Feb 22, 2002

I should highlight the SA-24 I spotted yesterday is likely a dummy, but that raises the question why they have a dummy SA-24.

Corny
Feb 18, 2006

i am scared

GrizzlyCow posted:

Netanyahu wants to keep the lights off on the Israeli populace, so to speak. If it looks like he is doing something to protect Israel from 'un-warranted attacks' (you say israel bombed targets in the gaza strip before these attacks? shhh) he will be able to say that he is protecting Israel better than the "traitorous left-wing" will ever be able to (borrowing language from an assortment of ministers from Likud/YB)

Now, has Hamas helped anything? Absolutely not, because they are making many of the same calculations Netanyahu has. Not to say that it's some "truth-is-in-the-middle-of-the-road" bullshit, it's just that both sides are absolutely terrible people. Welcome to Israel and Palestine.

Brown Moses
Feb 22, 2002

The IDF is live Tweeting events as well, this article has some good info on that and other online activity.

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead

Corny posted:

Netanyahu wants to keep the lights off on the Israeli populace, so to speak. If it looks like he is doing something to protect Israel from 'un-warranted attacks' (you say israel bombed targets in the gaza strip before these attacks? shhh) he will be able to say that he is protecting Israel better than the "traitorous left-wing" will ever be able to (borrowing language from an assortment of ministers from Likud/YB)

Now, has Hamas helped anything? Absolutely not, because they are making many of the same calculations Netanyahu has. Not to say that it's some "truth-is-in-the-middle-of-the-road" bullshit, it's just that both sides are absolutely terrible people. Welcome to Israel and Palestine.

The weird thing about Hamas is that they're actually quite good at getting everyone to line up behind ceasefires when they sign them (albeit with the promise that they'll return the confiscated mortars and rockets after class). But they're still Hezbollah-esque assholes who get about half of their positive image from Standing Up To The Jewish Oppressors. Which yes, means that they may very well be perfectly happy to have Netanyahu in charge.

Darkman Fanpage
Jul 4, 2012

Brown Moses posted:

The IDF is live Tweeting events as well, this article has some good info on that and other online activity.

Can't wait for the day when we'll be able to stream live footage of actual combat right into our living room like it were some sort of reality TV show!

God I hate this world. :smith:

Friendly Factory
Apr 19, 2007

I can't stand the wailing of women

Crasscrab posted:

Can't wait for the day when we'll be able to stream live footage of actual combat right into our living room like it were some sort of reality TV show!

God I hate this world. :smith:

If it makes you feel any better, this is pretty much the best the world has ever been.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Darkman Fanpage
Jul 4, 2012

Friendly Factory posted:

If it makes you feel any better, this is pretty much the best the world has ever been.

Yeah, I know. But it's nowhere near perfect.

• Locked thread