Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
ziasquinn
Jan 1, 2006

Fallen Rib

leica posted:

ITB the 4AGE :clint:

Can you? Isn't the 16v 4age air flow metered? I mean, I know the blacktop is easily ITBed (as well as the silvertop if you splice a MAP sensor into the vacuum rail, and use a blacktop ECU).

But I probably don't know.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mafoose
Oct 30, 2006

volvos and dogs and volvos and dogs and volvos and dogs and volvos and dogs and vulvas and dogs and volvos and dogs and volvos and dogs and volvos and dongs and volvos and dons and volvos and dogs and volvos and cats and volvos and dogs and volvos and dogs and volvos and dogs and volvos and dogs

Your Dead Gay Son posted:

Can you? Isn't the 16v 4age air flow metered? I mean, I know the blacktop is easily ITBed (as well as the silvertop if you splice a MAP sensor into the vacuum rail, and use a blacktop ECU).

Programmable EMS can do it!

Sockington
Jul 26, 2003
I seriously doubt the usefulness of this motor.

travisray2004
Dec 2, 2004
SuprMan
World's first 4A-Ge powered bass boat!

Kotaru
Jan 17, 2004

"Serve the Hive.....
Feel the groove.
I control....
the way you move."
Seeing that timing cover makes me miss mine a bit. :(

Nodoze
Aug 17, 2006

If it's only for a night I can live without you
Don't you dare get rid of that motor

Sockington
Jul 26, 2003

Nodoze posted:

Don't you dare get rid of that motor

I'm hoping not to. I'd be nice to be able to drop this in and get things rolling.

I'm just not holding my breath.

Sockington
Jul 26, 2003
God drat crank pulley bolt is stuck on. Soaking it now.

Sockington
Jul 26, 2003
Welp. Crank bolt head is now stripped. :(

The crank pulley was already shot, so I'm not opposed to cutting that off at this point.

Preoptopus
Aug 25, 2008

Три полоски,
три по три полоски

Sockington posted:

I'm just not holding my breath.

Sockington posted:

God drat crank pulley.

Best Hobby Ever :allears:

McTinkerson
Jul 5, 2007

Dreaming of Shock Diamonds

It's unfortunate that I haven't been able to find anyone who makes an adapter for a 13B to Toyota transaxle. Because everyone knows 13B > 4-AGE

slurry_curry
Nov 26, 2003
<3mini-moni+animu^_^

Your Dead Gay Son posted:

All the 20v motors have ITB's stock(both black and silvertop), but only the blacktop can run without the airbox since it uses a MAP and not a AFM like the silvertop. Either way, I am fully behind ITB's on any mr2. The sound of the ITB's screaming right behind your head is the best sound ever.

Sockington
Jul 26, 2003
I'd like to say the eventual plan includes them, but I wouldn't mind running a stock 4A for a while to get used to the car as is.

I plan on having it a long time so I'm in no rush.

Sockington
Jul 26, 2003
Haha, this engine is just awesome.

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

^^^oh poo poo

DIY ITB's aren't too expensive these days, right? Ebay motorcycle ITB's, fabricate a mani, megasquirt. I know some Miata guys have put together ITB's on the cheap.

ziasquinn
Jan 1, 2006

Fallen Rib

Negromancer posted:

All the 20v motors have ITB's stock(both black and silvertop), but only the blacktop can run without the airbox since it uses a MAP and not a AFM like the silvertop. Either way, I am fully behind ITB's on any mr2. The sound of the ITB's screaming right behind your head is the best sound ever.

Oh yeah, I forgot to consider the horns inside the airbox leading to the throttle bodies as "ITBs", my brain just translated ITB as running without the airbox and loud and gnarly as hell. My bad.

Sockington
Jul 26, 2003

Preoptopus posted:

Best Hobby Ever :allears:

Wouldn't have it any other way.

Problem solved.

Not UF quality, but got the job done.

Boned crank pulley.

Sockington
Jul 26, 2003
Pulled the valve cover. Not the prettiest.

Inside ins't too bad.

I've got three other heads to choose from.

SweetJuicyTaco
Jun 17, 2007
sour cream on my beef
I'm no expert but that looks pretty poopy.

Sockington
Jul 26, 2003

SweetJuicyTaco posted:

I'm no expert but that looks pretty poopy.

I'm thinking I trust your diagnosis, Dr. S. JuicyTaco.

mafoose
Oct 30, 2006

volvos and dogs and volvos and dogs and volvos and dogs and volvos and dogs and vulvas and dogs and volvos and dogs and volvos and dogs and volvos and dongs and volvos and dons and volvos and dogs and volvos and cats and volvos and dogs and volvos and dogs and volvos and dogs and volvos and dogs
It doesn't look that bad...
If it really bugs you, you could always pull it apart and take it to get dipped or steam cleaned or something...

Also eBay ITBs are cheap, megasquirt is cheap. Do it!

Kotaru
Jan 17, 2004

"Serve the Hive.....
Feel the groove.
I control....
the way you move."
Really does not look too bad. Seen so many sludged 4AGES that looks almost clean enough to fill with Cheerios and eat from.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug
Is the 4AGE somehow more vulnerable to sludging? I thought it was a pretty stout motor with no overt flaws.

Kotaru
Jan 17, 2004

"Serve the Hive.....
Feel the groove.
I control....
the way you move."

Seat Safety Switch posted:

Is the 4AGE somehow more vulnerable to sludging? I thought it was a pretty stout motor with no overt flaws.

The ones I've seen are from owner neglect.

Sockington
Jul 26, 2003

mafoose posted:

It doesn't look that bad...
If it really bugs you, you could always pull it apart and take it to get dipped or steam cleaned or something...

I've got three other cylinder heads sitting under my bench. I've got a few others in better shape.

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

mafoose posted:

He sold his megasquirt :smith:

Wait, there's a bad joke in there somewhere....

Sockington
Jul 26, 2003

leica posted:

He sold his megasquirt :smith:

Wait, there's a bad joke in there somewhere....

I actually thought to email CommieGIR about it, but he never gets back to me anyways :effort:

I do have my EDIS coil, Megasquirt harness, and hall effect sensor. Just need an ECU and trigger wheel.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug
So I looked in the mail today and I found this package. It's weird, can you guys figure out who might have sent it?

After pulling off tons of Handyman's Secret Weapon I uncovered this cryptic message:

And then inside the package:

Oh! The Gay Miata Mafia. I ordered from the catalogue a few weeks ago. What else is in the package?

What the gently caress is this?

Holy poo poo.

BoostCreep
May 3, 2004

Might I ask where you keep your forced induction accessories?
Grimey Drawer
AI is starting to get reaaaaaaaaally creepy. It's like a family of inbred rednecks all competing for the affection of our own brothers and sisters. Only there are no sisters and everyone is broke from making terrible financial life decisions.

SimulatedWoodgrain
Oct 6, 2006
That actually sounds about like most car forums.

Tanz-Kommandant
Dec 25, 2009

Radio Message from HQ:
Dance Commander
:h:WE LOVE YOU:h:
While your hypothesis is spot on I am still jealous, regardless.

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

Basically a male Margaret Thatcher

BoostCreep posted:

AI is starting to get reaaaaaaaaally creepy.

I blame UF

LloydDobler
Oct 15, 2005

You shared it with a dick.

This is the least-in-denial-about-it forum that I've seen.

Viggen
Sep 10, 2010

by XyloJW

LloydDobler posted:

This is the least-in-denial-about-it forum that I've seen.

How many Volvo forums do you frequent, again?

Sockington
Jul 26, 2003
Went for a ride in a stage2 2004 STi last night. Holy gently caress that is a night and day between my old man wagon.

I remember driving a stock 2004 STi a couple years ago, but this felt awesomely different for power.

You Am I
May 20, 2001

Me @ your poasting

Viggen posted:

Volvo forums aren't about being homosexual, they are mainly forums full of posts finding ways of getting kiddie spew or food off seats.

LloydDobler
Oct 15, 2005

You shared it with a dick.

Viggen posted:

Three plus the occasional fourth and fifth from external links. Most of them pretending to be perfectly straight. Swedespeed has a thing about dropping pics of Kate Beckinsale into any thread that goes too uncomfortable.

Sockington
Jul 26, 2003

Sockington posted:

I've got three other cylinder heads sitting under my bench. I've got a few others in better shape.

blindjoe
Jan 10, 2001
how are you going to tell if one is better than the other? just because it looks cleaner, doesn't mean anything.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sockington
Jul 26, 2003
Since the heads are bucket on shim, I'm going to need a bunch of different shims to get the valves set perfectly.

In comes three extra cylinder heads. When the time comes, I'm bringing all four to a trusted machine shop and telling him to give me the best out of the set.

Me? I'm just a poor dumb insulator who wouldn't be able to tell. Honestly.

• Locked thread