Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
fatpat268
Jan 6, 2011

Kilazar posted:

Got a quick question in regards to the GC gameboy player. Since it is easy for me to find cheap one's local with no startup disc, will the GC accept a burned copy? Or do I need to bight the bullet and just search for one that actually has the disk.

And why the hell was no one able to actually hold on to their startup disk *shakes fist*

Well, fwiw, modding a GC with a xeno gc modchip is extremely easy, even for noob solderers.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kilazar
Mar 23, 2010

fatpat268 posted:

Well, fwiw, modding a GC with a xeno gc modchip is extremely easy, even for noob solderers.

I know how to solder, I just physically can't anymore. I injured my right hand a few years ago and steady is not something I can do. I can barley sign my own name when required.

That will hopefully be getting fixed in the next month. Getting a "ganglion cyst on the dorsal wrist" removed.

If I don't find a GC and player by the time I am recovered, I may then consider pursuing this!

SUPER HASSLER
Jan 31, 2005

Harlock posted:

Pretty sure I mostly read the RPG Vault and Coming Soon sections of GamePro as a kid. They even had a graphical representation of how complete a game was! I wondered how they came up with that.

Usually the publisher would just tell us :ssh:

testtubebaby
Apr 7, 2008

Where we're going,
we won't need eyes to see.

SUPER HASSLER posted:

Usually the publisher would just tell us :ssh:

Which rag did you work for?

gay skull
Oct 24, 2004

Video Power once mentioned that a kid won a SNES with Super Mario Bros. 4, leading me to believe there was a fourth Mario game that the USA didn't get until I searched for it on the internet years later. :(

Vaerai Archon
Jan 4, 2007

by Y Kant Ozma Post

ohnoitschris posted:

Video Power once mentioned that a kid won a SNES with Super Mario Bros. 4, leading me to believe there was a fourth Mario game that the USA didn't get until I searched for it on the internet years later. :(

Oh wow you too? I did the same thing.

Bing the Noize
Dec 21, 2008

by The Finn
KRIKzz has such nice handwriting.

Might post more pics later

e: sorry for the terrible lighting, but I just wanted to post this for whoever was worried the Retrogate SD2SNES cases wouldn't fit in a SFC Jr.

Bing the Noize fucked around with this message at 21:54 on Nov 14, 2012

SUPER HASSLER
Jan 31, 2005

zenintrude posted:

Which rag did you work for?

Well during my heady Bay Area years my first real job was working online/offline for GamePro; then I moved over to Ziff Davis and did things for nearly all their mags for a while, back when they still had the whole lineup. Then I moved to Houston in order to edit Newtype and now I just freelance translate all day.

triplexpac
Mar 24, 2007

Suck it
Two tears in a bucket
And then another thing
I'm not the one they'll try their luck with
Hit hard like brass knuckles
See your face through the turnbuckle dude
I got no love for you
I'd love to do design for a video game magazine. I grew up tracing covers & layouts from Nintendo Power, I guess I always wanted to be a magazine designer but didn't realize that was a job until I stumbled into it.

Caitlin
Aug 18, 2006

When I die, if there is a heaven, I will spend eternity rolling around with a pile of kittens.

Miyamotos RGB NES posted:

Do those come with my subscription? Any way to get back ones? How many have there been so far? Why do we, people who generally love technology, still want paper magazines? :iiam:

You're asking this in a thread specifically designed to celebrate defunct technology, you know. :ms:

Bing the Noize
Dec 21, 2008

by The Finn
For anyone else with SD2SNES, is there a more reliable firmware version that 0.1.4a on sd2snes.de? Top Gear 3000 doesn't start and Momotaro Dentetsu Happy stops at a "SPC7110 Check Program" screen...

Kreeblah
May 17, 2004

INSERT QUACK TO CONTINUE

Taco Defender
As far as Top Gear 3000 goes, do you have the DSP4 dump on your SD card? It doesn't come with the firmware ZIP, so you need to track it down yourself. For your other game, the SPC7110 isn't supported yet and that game is specifically listed on the incompatibility list.

Bing the Noize
Dec 21, 2008

by The Finn

Kreeblah posted:

As far as Top Gear 3000 goes, do you have the DSP4 dump on your SD card? It doesn't come with the firmware ZIP, so you need to track it down yourself. For your other game, the SPC7110 isn't supported yet and that game is specifically listed on the incompatibility list.

Oh, I sorted all my ROMs by chipset and forgot I didn't already separate out the ones the SD2SNES didn't support. Thanks for that though. I remember reading about needing a DSP4 dump already, but I forgot to do it. Thanks for that knowledge.

tvb
Dec 22, 2004

We don't understand Chinese, dude!
:siren:One week left to sign up for Retro Gaming Secret Santa!:siren:

Go here for details, you obsolete technology-loving nostalgia whores. You could end up getting the very same Christmas present you got over 25 years ago!

triplexpac
Mar 24, 2007

Suck it
Two tears in a bucket
And then another thing
I got no love for you
Christmas was such a mixed bag when I was a kid. My dad would by SNES games for us, which was really nice, but he wouldn't necessarily listen to the ones we asked for and just bought whatever.

Sometimes it worked out great, like when we got Uniracers.

Sometimes it didn't, like when we got Daffy Duck's Martian Missions.

He sure had a way of getting me games I never knew existed, like Claymates. Good times.

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

Well, I've gotten my first package of stuff from Game Stop.

Not only did I not get any original cases, they sent me five cases in a package of 16 games.

Worse, they screwed up the order and sent me Oni and Kessen 3 for the Shield and Nano Breaker. At least those two were at the bottom of my priority list.

moron izzard
Nov 17, 2006

Grimey Drawer

tvb posted:

:siren:One week left to sign up for Retro Gaming Secret Santa!:siren:

Go here for details, you obsolete technology-loving nostalgia whores. You could end up getting the very same Christmas present you got over 25 years ago!

quote:

- Visit THIS LINK HERE

This is not a link

wa27
Jan 15, 2007

Random Stranger posted:

Not only did I not get any original cases, they sent me five cases in a package of 16 games.
I have yet to receive my package, but I'm surprised you got any cases at all. My Gamestop has only sold PS2 games in paper sleeves for a while now. I ended up with 60+ games with no cases when they were liquidating them this summer.

tvb
Dec 22, 2004

We don't understand Chinese, dude!

Robolizard! posted:

This is not a link

It was copied/pasted from the old thread. Link:
http://www.elfster.com/exchange/view/7061924/eb9055/

Safari Disco Lion
Jul 21, 2011

Boss, if they make us find seven lost crystals, I'm quitting.

Random Stranger posted:

Well, I've gotten my first package of stuff from Game Stop.

Worse, they screwed up the order and sent me Oni and Kessen 3 for the Shield and Nano Breaker. At least those two were at the bottom of my priority list.

Every game I got in-store during their sale was only in a paper sleeve. Gamestop throws out a lot of excess cases/manuals.

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

Safari Disco Lion posted:

Every game I got in-store during their sale was only in a paper sleeve. Gamestop throws out a lot of excess cases/manuals.

Yeah, I know, but there were people in this thread asking about original cases.

wa27
Jan 15, 2007

Random Stranger posted:

Yeah, I know, but there were people in this thread asking about original cases.

I just got my package after posting. For 16 games, I got 15 generic cases without even a printed label. Thankfully the games themselves are in paper sleeves so I can just toss the boxes which all look the same.

Activision Anthology did come with the original case/manual.

Michael Carnage
Nov 7, 2004

To find the light you must embrace the darkness.
Got my package from RGBurgler and I rather like your kitten stationary! Also thanks for the game! I should get my hands on my order from Gamestop on Friday but judging by the weight UPS gives me I'm expecting games in paper disc sleeves. I'm looking forward to the how to make proper covers post!

Chumbawumba4ever97
Dec 31, 2000

by Fluffdaddy

Kilazar posted:

I know how to solder, I just physically can't anymore. I injured my right hand a few years ago and steady is not something I can do. I can barley sign my own name when required.

That will hopefully be getting fixed in the next month. Getting a "ganglion cyst on the dorsal wrist" removed.

If I don't find a GC and player by the time I am recovered, I may then consider pursuing this!

Yo this is kind of depressing me. Where do you live? I'll mod it for free for you and dump the GBA player disc and burn it.

Vrikkian
Apr 26, 2010

I think I'm having a stroke...
Do you want to see what it looks like for a man to pack up 90% of his gaming collection in preparation to sell because he needs to buy a new computer, as well as pay for two Master's degrees? See here:

Don't fret! I'm still warranted to be in this thread. I'm not selling everything. In fact, I'm still keeping the cream of the crop in my collection to play for years:

(This also doesn't take into the 100+ virtual games I own that are impossible to sell.)

Code Jockey
Jan 24, 2006

69420 basic bytes free

Miyamotos RGB NES posted:

Yo this is kind of depressing me. Where do you live? I'll mod it for free for you and dump the GBA player disc and burn it.

You're basically the best person fyi

So I got some interesting packages lately. One was wrapped in brown paper, which, when unwrapped..

Wait, I don't remember ordering a phone, I have a phone, and I am on T-Mobile anyway, what is this, I don't understand, did I make a drunk decision on the internet? Let's flip it over.

Holy poo poo I finally have friends hell yes I'm accepted but why are they sending me phones, I still am confused, I guess a second android would be cool for a media remote or something though, let's have a look inside...

Sweet mother of god it's an SLG3000! It wasn't a phone after all! Thank goodness.

[you're a good dude thank you for this, I can't wait to hook my DC up to it, but I'm rearranging right now and can't at the moment]

e. Also Vrikkian I wish I could help out and buy some of your lot, but I am broke as gently caress right now, and coming soon is the season of hemorrhaging money so people will love me, sooo

Code Jockey fucked around with this message at 04:24 on Nov 15, 2012

HKR
Jan 13, 2006

there is no universe where duke nukem would not be a trans ally

Going back to dreamcast region swapping, does anyone actually know where you can still find DC modchips? I don't want to deal with boot discs (In truth I don't have a single optical drive hooked up to any of the three PCs in house) and a mod chip that just takes care of it for me would be ideal.

Asbrandt
Feb 16, 2011
Is anyone familiar with AV Modding a NES Toploader the "proper" way by any chance?
I get a significant amount of conflicting information from Google, so I wouldn't mind a guide (or a link to one) from someone who knows for sure.

iastudent
Apr 22, 2008

Apologies if this was asked previously, but what for NES/SNES/Game Boy are you putting in your sell pile?

Southpaw Wusky
Oct 23, 2010

iastudent posted:

Apologies if this was asked previously, but what for NES/SNES/Game Boy are you putting in your sell pile?

Same question, but for Genesis / Saturn?

Hit or miss Clitoris
Apr 19, 2003
I HAVE BEEN A VERY NAUGHTY BOY

Same question for your GB/A games. Just put it all in SA mart and let us get you through these hard times.

Vrikkian
Apr 26, 2010

I think I'm having a stroke...
Anything you can see in the first two pictures are for sale, but I know it's hard to see the spines. I'll try to get a full list up soon, and post on SA Mart. In the interim, if there is anything you can make out that you know you want, throw me an offer via PM so we don't have to clutter up this thread if possible.

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

Here's your strange video game fact for the day: in its final year Nintendo sold 30,000 Famicoms. That year was 2004, twenty-one years after it was introduced.

Discount Viscount
Jul 9, 2010

FIND THE FISH!

Ineffiable posted:

I believe R-Type Delta, and R-Types should be available on the PSN store. (you can still buy PS1 games on the psps right?)

With a few exceptions, Irem's digital offerings have pretty much been purged from all download services as they've decided they don't like video games anymore. R-Types and R-Type Delta are among the casualties :smith:

Caitlin posted:

You're asking this in a thread specifically designed to celebrate defunct technology, you know. :ms:

This should be added to the OP: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a1C9Q5JheOE

Chumbawumba4ever97
Dec 31, 2000

by Fluffdaddy

Code Jockey posted:

You're basically the best person fyi

So I got some interesting packages lately. One was wrapped in brown paper, which, when unwrapped..

Wait, I don't remember ordering a phone, I have a phone, and I am on T-Mobile anyway, what is this, I don't understand, did I make a drunk decision on the internet? Let's flip it over.

Holy poo poo I finally have friends hell yes I'm accepted but why are they sending me phones, I still am confused, I guess a second android would be cool for a media remote or something though, let's have a look inside...

Sweet mother of god it's an SLG3000! It wasn't a phone after all! Thank goodness.

[you're a good dude thank you for this, I can't wait to hook my DC up to it, but I'm rearranging right now and can't at the moment]o

Yeah you are welcome! Like I said I bought it thinking I was going to use it but then never really did. I'd feel like an rear end putting it on eBay instead of just giving it to a goon who could use it. Glad it got there in one piece!

Random Stranger posted:

Here's your strange video game fact for the day: in its final year Nintendo sold 30,000 Famicoms. That year was 2004, twenty-one years after it was introduced.

I'm kind of annoyed it was pretty much gone from store shelves in the US in 1996 but could still be bought in Japan until Kerry was running for President. I'd think it was more popular in the US than in Japan!

Ineffiable
Feb 16, 2008

Some say that his politics are terrifying, and that he once punched a horse to the ground...

Discount Viscount posted:

With a few exceptions, Irem's digital offerings have pretty much been purged from all download services as they've decided they don't like video games anymore. R-Types and R-Type Delta are among the casualties :smith:

Ooh, yeah I forgot about that.

This probably brings up a good point on virtual/digital games: If the publisher/developer/rights go out, then yeah you lose out on more people playing that game.

With physical stuff, you can resell it, or buy a copy from someone reselling (thankfully, most of these games are just .isos of original PSX ones) But you can see a case here why some of us aren't so hot about digital purchases.

I think I still have Delta on my PS3. I should sign in with my PSP and see if I can even grab it from the download history.

RadicalR
Jan 20, 2008

"Businessmen are the symbol of a free society
---
the symbol of America."
I spy with my little eye some Sega Saturn games I would like to buy!

But I'll wait for the sale thread. Hopefully, I'll catch it in time :ohdear:

triplexpac
Mar 24, 2007

Suck it
Two tears in a bucket
And then another thing
I got no love for you
A friend of mine is in Japan right now, taunting me with images of his purchases

iastudent
Apr 22, 2008

triplexpac posted:

A friend of mine is in Japan right now, taunting me with images of his purchases

Niceeeee, how much did that run him?

From what I understand, boxed copies of Famicom/SFC stuff aren't hard to come by and are for the most part inexpensive, but if you're stuck in the US you then have to deal with the joys of shipping fees. For a bundle of SFC games I recently ordered off eBay, I had to pay more for shipping than the games themselves. :(

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

testtubebaby
Apr 7, 2008

Where we're going,
we won't need eyes to see.

Looks like the SFC cost about $43.

• Locked thread