Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Shirec
Jul 29, 2009

How to cock it up, Fig. I

Miijhal posted:

I wonder if making a profitable Harvest Moon puppy mill is possible?

Also, for anyone who hates herding, just give Neil tons of fodder and eventually he'll give you a bell that herds all the animals without any cutscene.

How high up on the affection scale are we talking here? I've been idly wooing him just out of boredom, and lack of dudes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Revol
Aug 1, 2003

EHCIARF EMERC...
EHCIARF EMERC...

Miijhal posted:

I wonder if making a profitable Harvest Moon puppy mill is possible?

Also, for anyone who hates herding, just give Neil tons of fodder and eventually he'll give you a bell that herds all the animals without any cutscene.

You're supposed to be able to get this blueprint eventually, but bribing Neil does get it quicker.

Fru Fru
Sep 14, 2007
We're gonna need a bigger boat...and some water.

Revol posted:

You're supposed to be able to get this blueprint eventually, but bribing Neil does get it quicker.

I have him at a yellow heart right now and the only thing he's given me is a wallpaper blueprint. So I don't know how "quick" it is.

Miijhal
Jul 10, 2011

I am so tired... I am so tired all the time...

Shirec posted:

How high up on the affection scale are we talking here? I've been idly wooing him just out of boredom, and lack of dudes.

With most NPCs that give you items, it's around 30,000 FP.

Revol
Aug 1, 2003

EHCIARF EMERC...
EHCIARF EMERC...

Miijhal posted:

With most NPCs that give you items, it's around 30,000 FP.

Some NPCs give you numerous items. Neil is one. A good NPC to befriend is the cook, he gives you a lot of recipes. The last item you get is at 30k FP, which for Neil is the bell.

Fru Fru
Sep 14, 2007
Well shouldn't yellow heart be like 40k FP? How come he doesn't give me this special bell? Do you have to give him a gift at a certain time/place? Like not when he's working?

Revol
Aug 1, 2003

EHCIARF EMERC...
EHCIARF EMERC...

Fru Fru posted:

Well shouldn't yellow heart be like 40k FP? How come he doesn't give me this special bell? Do you have to give him a gift at a certain time/place? Like not when he's working?

They just give you a gift after you gift them.

Fru Fru
Sep 14, 2007

Revol posted:

They just give you a gift after you gift them.

Ok well maybe my game is bugged. I give him stuff everyday and like I said, I haven't gotten anything useful from him.

Revol
Aug 1, 2003

EHCIARF EMERC...
EHCIARF EMERC...

Fru Fru posted:

Ok well maybe my game is bugged. I give him stuff everyday and like I said, I haven't gotten anything useful from him.

Maybe you're missing a heart event that is required?

Fru Fru
Sep 14, 2007

Revol posted:

Maybe you're missing a heart event that is required?

I've seen all of his heart events but they shouldn't be required. I assume you can get the gifts from him without dating him. Now that I think about it I haven't really gotten gifts from anyone except the tool blueprints from the blacksmith girl. I've given that chef guy so many fish and he's given me 0 recipes.

Crowbear
Jun 17, 2009

You freak me out, man!

Fru Fru posted:

I've given that chef guy so many fish and he's given me 0 recipes.

Something must be up. I gave the chef mushrooms for 10-11 days and he gave me like, 9 cookbooks (up to advanced recipes 1).

e: Also the bell is pretty poo poo, unless there's an upgraded version or something. I've taken to just watching for long stretches of sunny days, having my pets take the animals out on the first day, then telling them to stop helping until the last day so they can take the animals back in. Minimal hassle and cut-scenes, lots of outdoors time.

Miijhal
Jul 10, 2011

I am so tired... I am so tired all the time...

Crowbear posted:

Something must be up. I gave the chef mushrooms for 10-11 days and he gave me like, 9 cookbooks (up to advanced recipes 1).

e: Also the bell is pretty poo poo, unless there's an upgraded version or something. I've taken to just watching for long stretches of sunny days, having my pets take the animals out on the first day, then telling them to stop helping until the last day so they can take the animals back in. Minimal hassle and cut-scenes, lots of outdoors time.

There are two bells: one is simply labeled as a "bell", the other is the "animal bell". The former just helps you build affection with your animal. The latter is a decoration that takes all your animals outside/put them back in the barn when you ring it.

Also, just convert poison mushrooms into mushroom soup to give to the chef. It gives 500 friendship points with him.

Crowbear
Jun 17, 2009

You freak me out, man!

Miijhal posted:

There are two bells: one is simply labeled as a "bell", the other is the "animal bell". The former just helps you build affection with your animal. The latter is a decoration that takes all your animals outside/put them back in the barn when you ring it.

Oh! Well that certainly is better!

The regular bell just makes your animals waddle around chasing you for a little bit and I thought you were supposed to use that to coax them to the exit :haw:

Fru Fru
Sep 14, 2007
And I was doing so well....I really don't want to start over.

the_steve
Nov 9, 2005

We're always hiring!

I just entered my first cooking contest, used my 2-star egg soup.
During the tasting, Clement said it was terrible and then declared me the winner with my "wonderful cooking."

Not sure how I'm supposed to feel about that.

Crowbear
Jun 17, 2009

You freak me out, man!
According to some dude in a gamefaqs thread you need to have at least 10 animals on your farm in addition to sucking up to Neil to unlock the better bell.

Julet Esqu
May 6, 2007

Any reason I should hang on to "barn dirt" other than as something to stuff into Allen's mail box? It would make sense if there were a way to convert it to fertilizer, but I'm not holding my breath waiting for Harvest Moon to start making sense.

Revol
Aug 1, 2003

EHCIARF EMERC...
EHCIARF EMERC...

Crowbear posted:

According to some dude in a gamefaqs thread you need to have at least 10 animals on your farm in addition to sucking up to Neil to unlock the better bell.

Crap! You know, I think I saw that too but forgot. Sorry!

Why don't we add this to my guide?

---

ANB GUIDE PART 1
ANB GUIDE PART 2
ANB GUIDE PART 3

LIVESTOCK

- Herding your animals suck, huh? Your dog or cat can do it, but then you have that really long and unskippable cutscene. Is there any other way? Yes! The 'Animal Bell', an upgrade of the normal bell, can call all livestock in and out of their barns. I believe this is something you get late in the game, but there is a way to get it much earlier. Befriend Neil by giving him fodder every day. When you hit 30,000 FP, he'll give you the blueprint. You must also have 10 livestock as another requirement.

- Speaking of the bell, make sure you have room for your animals to get in and out. Someone on the FOGU forums thought the bell was broken. Turns out, it was because they had fencing right at the door. Sure, you can maneuver around it, but the animals can't.

- Don't leave chickens outside overnight, even if you know it'll be sunny the next day. It sounds like they don't lay eggs when left outside overnight.

- You very much will want to win the Cow Festival. One of the rewards is the classic Harvest Moon cow! Holy cow!

COOKING

- Want a lot of recipes? Befriend the cook! He gives you a lot of recipes. I suggest giving him fish. You're going to have plenty of fish anyways, since you need to be using a lot of fish traps to get all the bottles you'll need for your maker blueprints.

IMPROVEMENTS

- If you're like me, you've probably held off on upgrading your house. Why bother? You don't have a wife yet. That's all it's for right? WRONG! FOGU explains that there are additions to your house, like a bathroom, that can replenish stamina. There is also a hot bath that may also be a house addition. Well then, time to get that upgraded house ASAP!

BEES

- Improve honey production by grouping your hives into a clean set. The trick is to have four corners of four hives touching each other. FOGU has the explanation.

VILLAGERS

- Heads up if you're trying to get heart events for Yuri. You need to have the travel agency and have gone on a trip before you can get her second event, which I believe you need to see before you can start dating her. Oh, and speaking of Yuri, you can't take her to the Starry Night if you aren't dating.

Revol fucked around with this message at 17:49 on Nov 16, 2012

Fru Fru
Sep 14, 2007

Crowbear posted:

Well that gives me some hope. I only have 7 right now. But it doesn't really explain why I get no gifts from anyone.

Fru Fru
Sep 14, 2007

Revol posted:

IMPROVEMENTS

- If you're like me, you've probably held off on upgrading your house. Why bother? You don't have a wife yet. That's all it's for right? WRONG! FOGU explains that there are additions to your house, like a bathroom, that can replenish stamina. There is also a hot bath that may also be a house addition. Well then, time to get that upgraded house ASAP!

I have the upgraded house. The restroom and bath each restore half a heart each so one whole heart together. Not really a big deal since I never use all my energy anymore but that might be because I have all golden/ultra tools. I actually just spam my hammer a bunch of times to lose energy so I can get my free daily food from Neil. Then I just sell whatever he gives me.

Revol posted:

LIVESTOCK

- Don't leave chickens outside overnight, even if you know it'll be sunny the next day. It sounds like they don't lay eggs when left outside overnight.

This is definitely true.

Crowbear
Jun 17, 2009

You freak me out, man!
Well that was easy. Guess I built a lot of friendship with Neil through festivals and stuff, because I just gave him 2 fodders in spring year 2 (first gifts I've given him) and he just handed over the blueprint :haw:

It's called the Farm Bell, by the way, and it takes a bell, 3 silver, and 5 jade to make.

54 40 or fuck
Jan 4, 2012

No Yanda's allowed
I'm so selling my dog and cat on Monday now that I have the farm. Sorry, but their house takes up sooo much valuable space and I can't be bothered to walk them to the festival grounds for fetch.

Star Guarded
Feb 10, 2008

Toriori posted:

I'm so selling my dog and cat on Monday now that I have the farm. Sorry, but their house takes up sooo much valuable space and I can't be bothered to walk them to the festival grounds for fetch.
What's the point of the pet food bowl, by the way? The one you can make from a blueprint that goes in your house. I figured it would be for pets but then I built the pet house ...

Crowbear
Jun 17, 2009

You freak me out, man!

Star Guarded posted:

What's the point of the pet food bowl, by the way? The one you can make from a blueprint that goes in your house. I figured it would be for pets but then I built the pet house ...

You can have one of your pets just live in your house, and that thing will feed them automatically.

I don't think you can use them to herd if they're living anywhere but the pet house though.

Star Guarded
Feb 10, 2008

Crowbear posted:

You can have one of your pets just live in your house, and that thing will feed them automatically.

I don't think you can use them to herd if they're living anywhere but the pet house though.
Oh that's actually awesome. I guess I won't sell my dog then.

54 40 or fuck
Jan 4, 2012

No Yanda's allowed

Crowbear posted:

It's pretty much useless.
I might just sell the cat, shelf the pet house and keep my dog inside. I'm a bleeding heart for animals that aren't even real, sheesh.

Maximusi
Nov 11, 2007

Haters gonna hate
I screwed up the gardening tour pretty bad. I still have no idea what I'm supposed to do

Revol
Aug 1, 2003

EHCIARF EMERC...
EHCIARF EMERC...

Maximusi posted:

I screwed up the gardening tour pretty bad. I still have no idea what I'm supposed to do

My second time around, I followed the FOGU guide and put an object set in for 150 points. I ended up doing worse than my firs time, though. I made no money.

Fru Fru
Sep 14, 2007
For my first and only garden show so far, I used a wooden set, 2 bushes, and 2 ball topiaries. I got around 2200g from it. As long as I don't get negative FP from it, I don't really care.

Rainbow Unicorn
Aug 4, 2004

Revol posted:

My second time around, I followed the FOGU guide and put an object set in for 150 points. I ended up doing worse than my firs time, though. I made no money.

If you reused more than half of your previous garden show items, that's why. They get mad if you do that.

Revol
Aug 1, 2003

EHCIARF EMERC...
EHCIARF EMERC...

elzie posted:

If you reused more than half of your previous garden show items, that's why. They get mad if you do that.

I know, I'm pretty sure I didn't.

Official Bizness
Dec 4, 2007

wark wark wark

What do you loving mean honey comb is only available in the Spring? Why are you such a dick to me, Harvest Moon? I just wanted bees, man.

Revol
Aug 1, 2003

EHCIARF EMERC...
EHCIARF EMERC...

Official Bizness posted:

What do you loving mean honey comb is only available in the Spring? Why are you such a dick to me, Harvest Moon? I just wanted bees, man.

I found them in the fall, too.

Official Bizness
Dec 4, 2007

wark wark wark

Good. I named my character THEPAIN and I'll be very cross if that's gone to waste. <:mad:>

Fru Fru
Sep 14, 2007
Yay my game is not busted. Neil finally gave me the pattern but it still took a few days after I got 10 animals. Now I have my farm bell and my animals are running all over my farm cause I have no fences :3:

Fru Fru
Sep 14, 2007
Ok second garden tour. I used stone set; red, yellow, purple, blue, white, and pink benches; cow statue; lion topiary. 2992g and a moderate success. I think that was more than the first one at least.

Revol
Aug 1, 2003

EHCIARF EMERC...
EHCIARF EMERC...

Fru Fru posted:

Ok second garden tour. I used stone set; red, yellow, purple, blue, white, and pink benches; cow statue; lion topiary. 2992g and a moderate success. I think that was more than the first one at least.

Problem is, you've blown your load all on one garden. What will you do for your next one? The only easy set you have available will be the wood set.

Fru Fru
Sep 14, 2007

Revol posted:

Problem is, you've blown your load all on one garden. What will you do for your next one? The only easy set you have available will be the wood set.

No I can easily make the farm set and maybe the brick set by then. And I can also reuse the wood set because I didn't use it this time. I'm pretty sure you can reuse stuff, you just can't have the same two in a row. So I can alternate and leave some of these benches in if I feel like it as long as it's less than half.

Revol
Aug 1, 2003

EHCIARF EMERC...
EHCIARF EMERC...
Just started my second year. Thanks to completing the third renovation, I got the second half of the farm opened up. The spring, along with getting the gold watering can, will allow me to start really making some bank.

I need some advice on how to properly increase the star ranks of my crops. Currently, I've been placing one square of a crop onto a plot, so I'd have eight crops that I'm fertilizing at a time on one plot. Once I get the raised crop, I make that into another seed pack, and repeat. (If the crop regrows, then I just wait for the last crop to come out of it to make that into a seed to replant.) Is there a more effective way?

Also, I seem to recall from other HM games, where if you sell say, a three star potato, then all the potato seeds you can get from the store are three star. Or maybe that happens only if you sell three star seeds and not the crop? That would make more sense, otherwise the seed maker becomes redundant.

And hey... is anybody even bothering with paddies? All the paddy seeds only give you one crop per seed, and they take forever to grow, and they have no regrowth. I may as well just buy some rice at the store for whatever cooking I might need, and just keep it at that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist
I haven't been in the Harvest Moon mood since I got the 3DS. So I let my sister play it.

She's all kinds of pissed off because she had sold all her honeycombs and now she needs it for something.

Since I am only on Spring 14th, that's good to know. WILL SAVE EVERYTHING.

Will I need to save any crops or are those good to sell?

• Locked thread