Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dr. Furious
Jan 11, 2001
KELVIN
My bot don't know nuthin' 'bout no KELVIN

Shlapintogan posted:

I see what looks like oranges

Those are rare there.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

I've got the GCCX DVDs coming this weekend (finally!). What's the method for ripping these things into per-challenge video files that all the cool kids use nowadays?

Mayor McCheese
Sep 20, 2004

Everyone is a mayor... Someday..
Lipstick Apathy
I seriously love how often Seinfeld is brought up in these threads. Worlds are colliding.

Tobaccrow
Jan 21, 2008

Don't smoke, kids... Unless you have to.

Caitlin posted:

It's less sad when you actually play Animal Crossing because the game has a Mom who sends you presents anyway and they probably thought those were from their mother. But it's still sweet that they got that impression.
Someone always points that out, but letters from the in-game mom don't stack up in your absence. When you come back after a long time, you'll probably have one from maybe your last birthday and that's it.

Anyway, I bet the PaRappa challenge is going to beat every level with "Cool" rating and unlock the bonus thing. Arino will not be told this until he's spent a few hours beating the game on Easy and Normal. Personally, I've never been able to get "Cool" at all in level 2. Unless there's a simple method to pulling it off and the staff tells him about it, it's gonna be tough.

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.
They're gonna punctuate the challenge with footage from the in-house AD rap battle.

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

PaletteSwappedNinja posted:

They're gonna punctuate the challenge with footage from the in-house AD rap battle.

Without AD Itou this isn't going to be nearly as much fun as it could have been.

zari-gani
Sep 6, 2004

How much do you want it? ;-*
For those interested, the blurb on Fuji TV:

A special episode to commemorate the 150th broadcast...
Challenging Parappa the Rapper on the Playstation!
A monumental rhythm game that even gained popularity among women with its cute characters.
It requires fast reflexes and a sense of rhythm. A tough fight for Chief Arino!
He tackles various unusual? methods in order to get the rhythm down.
Will the middle-aged rapper Arinoppa be able to clear it?!

For the arcade trip,
We go to "Toy Park Masamiya" in Koutou.
Check out all kinds of toys at a shopping street called "Noraku Road."
We'll also play a certain game that is a staple of lowtown arcades!

In the new segment "Barcode Gambler,"
Two famous historical sims duke it out.
It's a close battle...!
Will Chief Arino's prediction hit the mark?

And of course, 1990 GB.
Stay tuned!

Meme Emulator
Oct 4, 2000

zari-gani posted:

In the new segment "Barcode Gambler,"
Two famous historical sims duke it out.
It's a close battle...!
Will Chief Arino's prediction hit the mark?

Placing bets: Romance of the Three Kingdoms vs Nobunagas Ambition

TheGreenAvenger
Jun 23, 2005

I killed Chin the Conqueror.
I am definitely so excited for this episode that I'm gonna want to watch the raw.

Ineffiable
Feb 16, 2008

Some say that his politics are terrifying, and that he once punched a horse to the ground...

Whatever happened to that streaming site? Do we have a way to watch this challenge live?

joek0
Oct 13, 2011
The game itself is great for episode #150, but I hope they do some great things for the milestone episode. Episode #100 had some great moments for that milestone episode. And going to Korea for #50 was great as well.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0MVEPy0g_yw
Can someone explain this Yoiko cartoon to me. I love the artist's interpretation of Arino and Hamaguchi.

joek0 fucked around with this message at 01:53 on Nov 16, 2012

Corridor
Oct 19, 2006

It even gained popularity among women with its cute characters.

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

joek0 posted:

Can someone explain this Yoiko cartoon to me. I love the artist's interpretation of Arino and Hamaguchi.
I don't know anything about it specifically but it appears to be Crayon Shin-Chan

TheGreenAvenger
Jun 23, 2005

I killed Chin the Conqueror.
^^^Yeah it's shin-chan, which functions very much like the Simpsons in Japan, with guest stars and all. (They did a crossover with Kamen Rider Fourze, which I recently watched ha ha.)

Yoiko are practicing for an audition for a TV program, and Shin is their test audience. He thinks their jokes are old and lame, just like the 'wi' character in their group name. Then he does some jokes for them. They're kind of... "Take my wife, please."-esque. Then they say they're going to use his jokes as inspiration, and they do. Shin says, "I don't get the jokes these young people think are funny these days."

Now I kind of want to actually see some sketches by Yoiko.

Bocc Kob
Oct 26, 2010

Corridor posted:

It even gained popularity among women with its cute characters.

What woman would ever play a rhythm game. :colbert:

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

Bocc Kob posted:

Please. Women aren't into real games. All they play are rhythm games, flash based puzzle games, and Farmville. :biotruths:

Gutcruncher
Apr 16, 2005

Go home and be a family man!

Bocc Kob posted:

Beyonce
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rEYpflE1mJk

Bocc Kob
Oct 26, 2010
Beyonce is bad at acting.

Hirayuki
Mar 28, 2010

TheGreenAvenger posted:

Yoiko are practicing for an audition for a TV program, and Shin is their test audience. He thinks their jokes are old and lame, just like the 'wi' character in their group name. Then he does some jokes for them. They're kind of... "Take my wife, please."-esque. Then they say they're going to use his jokes as inspiration, and they do. Shin says, "I don't get the jokes these young people think are funny these days."
And their Kansai dialect is way stronger than in real life, played up to reinforce the "Kansai people = manzai comedy duos" thing. Remember when Arino was laughing at the Osaka businessman's dialect in Night of the Sickle Weasel? It's kind of like that (and a similar stereotype).

Hirayuki fucked around with this message at 02:40 on Nov 16, 2012

zari-gani
Sep 6, 2004

How much do you want it? ;-*

Hirayuki posted:

Remember when Arino was laughing at the Osaka businessman's dialect in Night of the Kamaitachi? It's kind of like that (and a similar stereotype).

I had a ton of fun exaggerating the southernisms for that.

Y'all are talkin' 'bout recession this, recession that.

fenix down
Jan 12, 2005

The phone calls to Kibe during Wing of Madoola are my new favorite thing.

GidgetNomates
May 6, 2010

I love this hobby:
stealing your mother's diary

Ineffiable posted:

Whatever happened to that streaming site? Do we have a way to watch this challenge live?

Freshverse has been down since about May or so. I found few alternate streams through sopcast but those have since gone down. Someone on the Freshverse forums found a way to access streams of certain Japanese TV channels but the one GCCX airs on didn't seem to be there.

So yeah, if anyone finds a place to watch it please share.

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

joek0 posted:

YONEKO

I fuckin' love Crayon Shinchan. Too bad the only thing they ever sold was that atrocious poo poo that ran on Cartoon Network. JN Productions did a great sub job for the show when it ran in Hawaii.

Erwin Tuwonwon
Oct 30, 2011

That Ring Ring Tactics kid is gonna give Arino attention one way or another.

Tupperwarez
Apr 4, 2004

"phphphphphphpht"? this is what you're going with?

you sure?

The White Dragon posted:

YONEKO

I fuckin' love Crayon Shinchan. Too bad the only thing they ever sold was that atrocious poo poo that ran on Cartoon Network. JN Productions did a great sub job for the show when it ran in Hawaii.
In the pre-bittorrent days when I was in college, our anime club had a bunch of tapes of Shin-chan donated by some guys from Hawaii, recorded straight from TV, sometimes with commercials.

When you want arare
Better have it your way
And make sure it's Tomoe!

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!
Man, I scoured the internet and only ever found ten episodes of the old subs in a torrent. There were a few on some... poo poo, MSN Video site, I think? It was the age of the VHS where every tape was disposable and the only people with capture software were industry professionals, and by the time capture software became common, most of the home viewers' tapes were overwritten or tossed in the trash.

And there's pretty much a 0% chance JN Productions or KIKU-TV would ever let anyone touch their master reels :smith:

Bocc Kob
Oct 26, 2010

GidgetNomates posted:

Freshverse has been down since about May or so. I found few alternate streams through sopcast but those have since gone down. Someone on the Freshverse forums found a way to access streams of certain Japanese TV channels but the one GCCX airs on didn't seem to be there.

So yeah, if anyone finds a place to watch it please share.

I had Sopcast for two days before they went down. It was the happiest evening I ever spent. :negative:

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

joek0 posted:

If only TV-Nihon had subtitled this before Game Center CX!

FireCar
Sep 20, 2002

What's this?!
Not really related to the current topic, but Shigeru Miyamoto turns 60 today. Thank you for helping establish a company that provided the foundation that allowed Arino to make GCCX.

Paper Lion
Dec 14, 2009

and videogames. Thanks for literally saving videogames from dying. That's a big one ole shiggy did.

Mister Chief
Jun 6, 2011

FireCar posted:

Not really related to the current topic, but Shigeru Miyamoto turns 60 today. Thank you for helping establish a company that provided the foundation that allowed Arino to make GCCX.

Nintendo was established in the 1880s dude.

RabidWeasel
Aug 4, 2007

Cultures thrive on their myths and legends...and snuggles!
I took that to mean "establish in the videogames industry" rather than actually you know set up the company.

scrub lover
Apr 22, 2005

univbee posted:

If only TV-Nihon had subtitled this before Game Center CX!
Turn on captions > Japanese (transcribed) > Translate captions

Now it all makes sense.

MUTEkI
Oct 12, 2012

Uncle Jenkins posted:

Turn on captions > Japanese (transcribed) > Translate captions

Now it all makes sense.

Translation note: 273km is almost 170 miles

Silentman0
Jul 11, 2005

I have a new neighbor. Heard he comes from far away

The White Dragon posted:

Too bad the only thing they ever sold was that atrocious poo poo that ran on Cartoon Network.

You shut your whore mouth!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f311XTtqPgc

KingShiro
Jan 10, 2008

EH?!?!?!

Yes! It sucks that it just expired on Netflix :(

-

Can't wait for 150

FireCar
Sep 20, 2002

What's this?!

RabidWeasel posted:

I took that to mean "establish in the videogames industry" rather than actually you know set up the company.

Yup. That's pretty much what I was meaning. He established their current presence in the video game industry.

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

FireCar posted:

Yup. That's pretty much what I was meaning. He established their current presence in the video game industry.

Actually, I'd say Gunpei Yokio did that since he established Nintendo's games division and masterminded the hardware that made Nintendo dominant.

FireCar
Sep 20, 2002

What's this?!

Random Stranger posted:

Actually, I'd say Gunpei Yokio did that since he established Nintendo's games division and masterminded the hardware that made Nintendo dominant.

But while I can try and make the argument that good hardware needs good software to complement it, I can say that without both people, the Nintendo we would have now wouldn't be near as good.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arthur D Wolfe
Sep 26, 2007

"Holy shit you are a
loathsome jerk, Arthur.
"

Random Stranger posted:

But we will never be able to wish Gunpei a great 60th birthday. :(

Speaking of birthdays, has Arino brought up the subject of retiring from the show due to age? I know that we briefly discussed his eventual retirement a few pages back, but I am curious if there is anything conclusive to be found. I know that most Japanese shows tend not to make this sort of thing known until the last minute, but there are usually some clues beforehand.