Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Are you getting the Wii U?
This poll is closed.
Yes 9031 65.25%
No 1191 8.60%
Maybe 808 5.84%
I'm an idiot 460 3.32%
Waluigi 1603 11.58%
Waa 748 5.40%
Total: 13841 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

• Locked thread
Admiral H. Curtiss
May 11, 2010

I think there are a bunch of people who can create trailing images. I know some who could do this as if they were just going out for a stroll.

Nintendo makes the best menu music. This is incredibly catchy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Disappointing Pie
Feb 7, 2006
Words cannot describe what a disaster the pie was.
So does anyone think that the ability to play Wii games on the gamepad is a no-brainer to be patched in at some point?

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.
Long answer: maybe, if. Short answer: no, because.

Supercar Gautier
Jun 10, 2006

Disappointing Pie posted:

So does anyone think that the ability to play Wii games on the gamepad is a no-brainer to be patched in at some point?

I think if they could do it, they already would have. The problem is that Wii mode is dependent on deactivating all aspects of the system not present in the original Wii, and it's not clear whether it's remotely feasible to create a version of Wii mode that adds a video signal to the Gamepad.

Disappointing Pie
Feb 7, 2006
Words cannot describe what a disaster the pie was.

Supercar Gautier posted:

I think if they could do it, they would. The problem is that Wii mode is dependent on deactivating all aspects of the system not present in the original Wii, and it's not clear whether it's remotely feasible to create a version of Wii mode that includes a video signal to the Gamepad.
Yeah I know it just seems like that is something so simple that they would try really hard to do because it would make so many people so very very very happy. I mean Xenoblade Chronicles on my gamepad? holy crap.

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

Depends on if it's even feasible. I wouldn't be surprised if Nintendo honored any Wii shop purchases by giving you a duplicate Wii U version where applicable (Virtual Console, for example).

I mean, I wouldn't be surprised if they DIDN'T either.

I'm not really sure just how much effort Nintendo really wants to put into replenishing the VC library AGAIN, when their VC efforts on 3DS so far have been really.. REALLY poor. (A whole MONTH of 8bit games!! Haha now none for 6 months gently caress YOU - nintendo)

Although with the upgrade in power over the original Wii, Nintendo might not have to worry about making special individually-wrapped emulators anymore, and could surprise us by just throwing a shitload of VC titles up.

Wait a minute what am I saying they haven't even talked about VC on Wii U i bet it isn't even going to exist

bluegoon
Mar 5, 2010

by Pragmatica
OK, so, the WiiU has some games lined up for launch, but how long would something totally crazy like smash brothers, Zelda, a new 3D Mario, or Starfox traditionally take to appear? The only title currently on the launch lineup I'm even remotely interested in is the ZombiU game. But I'm a sucker for big Nintendo AAA 1st party games.

Also, do you guys think they will have to be a lot more aggressive in the release amounts with their first party titles this time around?

AngryCaterpillar
Feb 1, 2007

I DREW THIS

Quest For Glory II posted:

Wait a minute what am I saying they haven't even talked about VC on Wii U i bet it isn't even going to exist

Yes they have? http://www.slashgear.com/nintendo-details-wii-u-storage-limits-and-no-wii-gamepad-screen-play-14257022/

I hope there's rumble support for the N64 games. Too bad the lack of an analogue trigger will make GC games difficult to emulate.

Hamsterlady
Jul 8, 2010

Corpse Party, bitches.
So I was at Walmart today and said "Hey, I'll pay off my layaway now so I don't have to go through any hassle tomorrow night when I pick it up.". Unfortunately, a layaway is not a preorder and you have to leave at least $0.01 on the account or else their system will reject the sale since it's all designed for you to pick it up the day you pay it off.

More unfortunate: not only did I not know that, the person who took care of me didn't know it, and neither did the manager she called for assistance, who overrode the system and then said "Wait, this isn't out yet, we can't give it to you."

Now I have to hope he left a note or something so the manager working tomorrow night will be able to get me my system without too much trouble.

Disappointing Pie posted:

Man, I don't care about Wii stuff at all, I just want to be able to play my Virtual Console games (Super Metroid, specifically) while lying in bed.

AngryCaterpillar
Feb 1, 2007

I DREW THIS

DarkHamsterlord posted:

So I was at Walmart today and said "Hey, I'll pay off my layaway now so I don't have to go through any hassle tomorrow night when I pick it up.". Unfortunately, a layaway is not a preorder and you have to leave at least $0.01 on the account or else their system will reject the sale since it's all designed for you to pick it up the day you pay it off.

More unfortunate: not only did I not know that, the person who took care of me didn't know it, and neither did the manager she called for assistance, who overrode the system and then said "Wait, this isn't out yet, we can't give it to you."

Now I have to hope he left a note or something so the manager working tomorrow night will be able to get me my system without too much trouble.

You mean they might think you picked it up already? I think you'll be fine since the unit in the back probably has your name on it.

Hamsterlady
Jul 8, 2010

Corpse Party, bitches.

AngryCaterpillar posted:

You mean they might think you picked it up already? I think you'll be fine since the unit in the back probably has your name on it.

Oh yeah, that's true. I didn't even think of that.

a new study bible!
Feb 2, 2009

BIG DICK NICK
A Philadelphia Legend
Fly Eagles Fly

Anyone have an idea about deluxe systems stocked for walk in customers? I figure I might drive to one of the lovely walmarts nearby tomorrow night, but I don't really want to bother if I'll likely only be able to grab a basic. I have a deluxe model preordered from an online retailer, so really I am just being impatient.

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.

Although with the upgrade in power over the original Wii, Nintendo might not have to worry about making special individually-wrapped emulators anymore, and could surprise us by just throwing a shitload of VC titles up.

That's not a power thing, it's just Nintendo prioritising accurate emulation over everything else. The slugging release schedule is a deliberate sales strategy and one that third-party publishers don't really have much say about.

bluegoon posted:

Also, do you guys think they will have to be a lot more aggressive in the release amounts with their first party titles this time around?

That depends what you mean by "release amounts"...

If you're asking whether they'll print tons of copies of each game so they won't be sold out at launch then the answer is probably "no", but everything's getting a simultaneous digital release so that won't necessarily be a huge deal.

If you're asking whether they'll be releasing big first-party titles more regularly than they did with Wii then my guess is "probably not", but there'll hopefully be more smaller digital titles in between, as there has been on 3DS.

Stealthed Zombie
Dec 21, 2007

And Introducing:
Dean "Titty Master" Ambrose
I'm going into mini panic mode here in NYC. I'm sure everything will be fine, I pre-ordered at a Gamestop at Union Square. Haven't gotten any calls regarding things not going as planned but I'm still worried I'll roll in there Sunday and they'll be like OOPS WE hosed UP.

I think I might go in and pay it off tomorrow just so that's all taken care of and I can have them reassure me that everything will be cool.

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

PaletteSwappedNinja posted:

That's not a power thing, it's just Nintendo prioritising accurate emulation over everything else. The slugging release schedule is a deliberate sales strategy and one that third-party publishers don't really have much say about.
I'm sure that someone on Nintendo's payroll says that this sales strategy works, but... I refuse to believe it.

It doesn't explain, at all, why they go weeks without adding VC titles. I don't think that people become so starved for retro content that they will just buy anything retro if it comes out. I don't want Ninja Gaiden when that comes out in February or whenever, I want Wario Land 2 when it comes out in 2016.

Anyway, Giant Bomb plays Nintendo Land, aka "Giant Bomb listens to the kickass Nintendo Land music the whole time"

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7tRan7ynJkM

The music is good as heckkk

This article doesn't say anything about Virtual Console titles in the Wii U eShop, designed specifically for the Wii U, which is what I was talking about. Nintendo has only said that "select" retail titles will be available on eShop on day 1. They've said nothing about VC.

The 7th Guest fucked around with this message at 05:33 on Nov 17, 2012

Folt The Bolt
Feb 21, 2012

Nothing exciting to see here. Move along.

Anyway, Giant Bomb plays Nintendo Land, aka "Giant Bomb listens to the kickass Nintendo Land music the whole time"

That Nintendo Land loading music... :allears:

CubsWoo
Aug 17, 2005

Where the big boys RAAAAAAARRRRRRRRRGH FUCK YOU

DarkHamsterlord posted:

Oh yeah, that's true. I didn't even think of that.

The same thing happened to me today, the layaway manager just told me to hold on to the payoff receipt because, in her words, "You paid it off on the 16th and there's no way we can sell it to you before then, so just hang on to the receipt from today and they'll be able to get it from the back for you."

CubsWoo fucked around with this message at 06:04 on Nov 17, 2012

Republicans
Oct 14, 2003

- More money for us

- Fuck you

WeLandedOnTheMoon! posted:

Anyone have an idea about deluxe systems stocked for walk in customers? I figure I might drive to one of the lovely walmarts nearby tomorrow night, but I don't really want to bother if I'll likely only be able to grab a basic. I have a deluxe model preordered from an online retailer, so really I am just being impatient.

Walmart, Target and similar stores in relatively low population areas will be your best bet. I was gonna wait until MHTU in March but my sister is bringing her fiance his son over for thanksgiving and I can't help myself from trying to play the cool uncle so I'm gonna camp out at the local Fred Meyer. I know they'll have them for walk-in customers for their midnight launch so it's just a matter of how soon the line starts and how crazy it'll get. I wonder if they have free wi-fi...

AngryCaterpillar
Feb 1, 2007

I DREW THIS

This article doesn't say anything about Virtual Console titles in the Wii U eShop, designed specifically for the Wii U, which is what I was talking about. Nintendo has only said that "select" retail titles will be available on eShop on day 1. They've said nothing about VC.

It does, look:

quote:

As for GamePad limitations, according to Nintendo the Wii mode will only support the TV as display, not the tablet controller’s own 7-inch screen. However, a new Wii U Virtual Console game is in the pipeline, that will support the feature.

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

In the pipeline suggests not available anytime soon :/

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

Giant Bomb isn't going to get ripped apart for doing that right? I mean it was funny but would suck if they screwed themselves just to share music.

AngryBooch
Sep 26, 2009

ThisIsACoolGuy posted:

Giant Bomb isn't going to get ripped apart for doing that right? I mean it was funny but would suck if they screwed themselves just to share music.

Embargo on the WiiU is up on Sunday anyway and they've already got a live stream of every WiiU launch game (except maybe Funky Barn) set up. I guess Nintendo could stop sending them games to review early or something but I don't think anyone's going to care about that video.

Crowbear
Jun 17, 2009

You freak me out, man!
They were sort of within the ten 30 second clip limit :colbert:

Also the Giant Bomb guys have Quick Looks of NSMB, Nintendoland, and ZombiU going up as soon as the embargo ends at 12:01 pacific Sunday morning, and the livestream starts at 11am pacific. They've said they'll show off every launch game they can get their hands on.

That stream is basically going to decide whether I bother to pick a Wii U up before MH launches.

e: It will be a TRAVESTY if they don't get to show off Funky Barn. I have no idea what Funky Barn is but still!

Haruharuharuko
Mar 24, 2008

Yeah I lied; so what is the truth?

DarkHamsterlord posted:

Man, I don't care about Wii stuff at all, I just want to be able to play my Virtual Console games (Super Metroid, specifically) while lying in bed.

Ok as someone who currently works at Wal-Mart...shut up it's $12 a week for insurance I have real job but they don't offer insurance...if they give you any guff have them call the CSM on duty (or salaried manager) and at worst threaten to call corporate, you'll be taken care of in a blink.

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

This poo poo is funky fresh, right here. :toot:

Bleep
Feb 7, 2004

This is so amazingly awkward.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jkaYNtD55-I

katkillad2
Aug 30, 2004

Awake and unreal, off to nowhere

Tri-Force exposed.

I didn't see it posted yet, but it looks like Newegg has some bundles available: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produ...Order=BESTMATCH

Edit: Well the White Wii U is still available anyways.

katkillad2 fucked around with this message at 08:23 on Nov 17, 2012

Dr. Glasscock
Apr 15, 2004

HOO-DAH!!! Fatal Wiimote blow to the face, 20 points!

katkillad2 posted:

Tri-Force exposed.

I didn't see it posted yet, but it looks like Newegg has some bundles available: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produ...Order=BESTMATCH

Edit: Well the White Wii U is still available anyways.

God damnit, no Deluxes! I gotta say, it's pretty loving annoying that there's 2 versions of the system this time around. I don't give a poo poo about the color but I do not want a basic system, so obnoxious! That's all that's ever left.

AngryCaterpillar
Feb 1, 2007

I DREW THIS

Reggie posted:

What do you want on the Wii U?

Analogue triggers :(

japtor
Oct 28, 2005
Nintendo translated stuff that's been on the Japanese page for a while:
http://www.nintendo.com/wiiu/built-in-software/

May or may not be new stuff on there...or at the least it should (hopefully) all be translated properly instead of relying on funky machine translations.

Republicans
Oct 14, 2003

- More money for us

- Fuck you

Before I pull the trigger on the white bundle at newegg, can you even install games from the discs onto hard drive space or is it just for digital downloads? I don't see myself buying anything ever off the eshop so installing from the disc is the only reason I want the 32GB over the 8.

Mennonites Revenge
Feb 13, 2012

Lack of electricity... is my destiny...
There's been no word on installing from disc, so it seems unlikely, at least for now.

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.

Republicans posted:

Before I pull the trigger on the white bundle at newegg, can you even install games from the discs onto hard drive space or is it just for digital downloads? I don't see myself buying anything ever off the eshop so installing from the disc is the only reason I want the 32GB over the 8.

Wii U discs hold 25GB of data, so 32GB over 8GB isn't really gonna make a whole lot of difference; you'll need an external hard drive either way.

Republicans
Oct 14, 2003

- More money for us

- Fuck you

PaletteSwappedNinja posted:

Wii U discs hold 25GB of data, so 32GB over 8GB isn't really gonna make a whole lot of difference; you'll need an external hard drive either way.

Yeah but most Wii U games will almost certainly never be that big anyways. Bought the white bundle since it has the 3 games I'd actually end up buying anyways and it saves me the hassle of camping in line.

My little step-nephew is gonna be so jazzed when he sees this on Thanksgiving. First thing he said to me when we first met a little while ago was he beat my high score on the copy of New Super Mario Bros. I gave my sister way back. :3:

That Fucking Sned
Oct 28, 2010

There's a lot Nintendo could do to improve their backwards compatibility, but it seems that right now they are just trying to get it up and running as quickly as possible.

Since the PS3 is still running the OS while it's playing PSOne and PS2 games, it allows them to take advantage of the new hardware. You can use the new wireless controllers, you can create virtual memory cards on your hard drive, you can view the games' original manuals and you can even play the same PSOne game on both your home console and your portable system.

There is no reason why Nintendo couldn't do the same for either their virtual console or Wii backwards compatibility. It's ridiculous that the Gamecube controller, Classic controller, Pro controller and GamePad all have nearly identical control layouts, but aren't cross-compatible. I can understand Nintendo removing Gamecube ports, but they could have made built-in Wavebird receivers so you can still use the controller for games that support it.

I'm not looking forward to trying to remember which of my virtual console games support the Pro controller, and which will require me to go out and buy a classic controller pro now that my Gamecube controller is obsolete.

AngryCaterpillar
Feb 1, 2007

I DREW THIS

That loving Sned posted:

There's a lot Nintendo could do to improve their backwards compatibility, but it seems that right now they are just trying to get it up and running as quickly as possible.

Since the PS3 is still running the OS while it's playing PSOne and PS2 games, it allows them to take advantage of the new hardware. You can use the new wireless controllers, you can create virtual memory cards on your hard drive, you can view the games' original manuals and you can even play the same PSOne game on both your home console and your portable system.

There is no reason why Nintendo couldn't do the same for either their virtual console or Wii backwards compatibility. It's ridiculous that the Gamecube controller, Classic controller, Pro controller and GamePad all have nearly identical control layouts, but aren't cross-compatible. I can understand Nintendo removing Gamecube ports, but they could have made built-in Wavebird receivers so you can still use the controller for games that support it.

I'm not looking forward to trying to remember which of my virtual console games support the Pro controller, and which will require me to go out and buy a classic controller pro now that my Gamecube controller is obsolete.

Maybe somehow, they'll design a way to save VC licences from the Wii mode onto the SD card, and get the Wii U OS to recognise the old purchases. With luck they won't make people buy everything again, and old VC collections will be newly playable with the Wii U controllers.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"
Wavebird's aren't that common, so it's not really a cost-effective thing. The Pro and GamePad aren't things a Wii would recognise either, so they're out. The virtual memory cards thing the PS3 does is a pretty simple software thing that just points the memory card's "port" to a properly-formatted file on the hard drive masquerading as the real thing.

You won't see cross-compatibility between the 3DS and WiiU VC's, however. They're coded to different operating systems (The PSP's is basically identical to the PS3's, and the PSOne/2 games are run by an emulator compatible to both so they're interchangeable. The same most likely applies to the Wii's and WiiU's).

I'm not saying they might not do something to improve or change it later, but this is basically why it is as it is now - It's simple and unlikely to break.

edit:

AngryCaterpillar posted:

Maybe somehow, they'll design a way to save VC licences from the Wii mode onto the SD card, and get the Wii U OS to recognise the old purchases. With luck they won't make people buy everything again, and old VC collections will be newly playable with the Wii U controllers.

It'd be much simpler than this, assuming the Wii storage is a part of the main drive (not impossible, given the Wii only had 512mb of storage). All you'd need is a bit of software that could read the Wii storage section and pass it to the WiiU's licenses.

Neddy Seagoon fucked around with this message at 12:25 on Nov 17, 2012

MeatRocket8
Aug 3, 2011

What Launch titles are you guys buying?

Monster w21 Faces
May 11, 2006

"What the fuck is that?"
"What the fuck is this?!"
New Super Mario Bros. U
ZombiiU
Nintendo Land

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kojicolnair
Mar 18, 2009
I am also getting Super Mario Bros. U, ZombiU and Nintendo Land of course, as well as Batman. Says mine should be delivered on Wednesday, which is a bit later than I'd like but oh well.

• Locked thread