Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Cate the Great
Nov 16, 2012

Wiz posted:

I also use it as a means to control the goals of AI countries, so they will have periods of expansion, colonial conquest, heavy industrialization, etc.

I really like that a lot, but I don't own Vicky 2 yet. Did you make this game actually fun? I only really enjoy CK2 and EU3 since I enjoy role playing as nobility. When I play princess, it is a "real" one. ;)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wiz
May 16, 2004

Nap Ghost

Cate the Great posted:

I really like that a lot, but I don't own Vicky 2 yet. Did you make this game actually fun? I only really enjoy CK2 and EU3 since I enjoy role playing as nobility. When I play princess, it is a "real" one. ;)

In my personal opinion, V2 is not fun vanilla because of poor balance, nonsensical expansion and lack of control over the economy. I find V2+ to be quite fun. So yes, I think I made it fun (although it should be noted I haven't released my mod yet, and won't until the end of the LP).

Cate the Great
Nov 16, 2012

Wiz posted:

In my personal opinion, V2 is not fun vanilla because of poor balance, nonsensical expansion and lack of control over the economy. I find V2+ to be quite fun. So yes, I think I made it fun (although it should be noted I haven't released my mod yet, and won't until the end of the LP).

I'll think about purchasing it later then. You're a dear Wiz. :)

The Saurus
Dec 3, 2006

by Smythe

Wiz posted:

I also use it as a means to control the goals of AI countries, so they will have periods of expansion, colonial conquest, heavy industrialization, etc.

For republican countries, do the new ruler traits change with every change of government?

Thug Lessons
Dec 14, 2006

I lust in my heart for as many dead refugees as possible.

The Saurus posted:

For republican countries, do the new ruler traits change with every change of government?

Like he said before there's no way to detect those changes, but they get periodic national priorities to compensate.

az
Dec 2, 2005

Sorry if it's been asked already: how is it looking with regards to population growth? Can you grow the Azeri population quickly and how important is it to have a large population in Vicky 2?

WhitemageofDOOM
Sep 13, 2010

... It's magic. I ain't gotta explain shit.

az posted:

Sorry if it's been asked already: how is it looking with regards to population growth? Can you grow the Azeri population quickly and how important is it to have a large population in Vicky 2?

Population is more important than anything, which is absurd for the Victorian period.

JT Jag
Aug 30, 2009

#1 Jaguars Sunk Cost Fallacy-Haver
So last I heard, Azerbaijan and Persia were both controlled by (distantly related) branches of the same family. Is there any logistically feasible possibility that the two countries could unite? It'd help with Azerbaijan's demographic problems some.

burnishedfume
Mar 8, 2011

You really are a louse...

JT Jag posted:

So last I heard, Azerbaijan and Persia were both controlled by (distantly related) branches of the same family. Is there any logistically feasible possibility that the two countries could unite? It'd help with Azerbaijan's demographic problems some.

But it would make us a great power, plus any sort of merge like that would give Persia the upper hand; there is no way Azerbaijan would be the dominant partner in that union and so it would effectively be a game over.

Patter Song
Mar 26, 2010

Hereby it is manifest that during the time men live without a common power to keep them all in awe, they are in that condition which is called war; and such a war as is of every man against every man.
Fun Shoe
Since we were chatting about women's suffrage earlier, I thought this was relevant:

Ottsky
Nov 16, 2012

JT Jag posted:

In all seriousness, that wouldn't help in any way besides religion, and that's not the important thing in Vic2, as it would put Azeri once more as a minority culture (the Farsis/Persians would suddenly way outnumber actual Azeris) and would leave us probably worse off than would be necessary. Plus, As DrProsek said, the Persians are significantly larger than us, and would more than likely be the 'winners' in such a situation.

ManicMarine
Oct 9, 2012

az posted:

I've been playing a game as the Ottomans, and it's been a major pain because of how low my population is compared to how many nations I control. I was involved in a Great War, France Italy and Austria vs UK, Germany and Ottomans. The French started it over control of Alsace-Lorraine (what else?). Due to my low population, I had to give up a lot of the Balkans to Austrian control because I simply didn't have the troops to push them back, even with 100% force limit and mobilization. I only won because German-British alliance is pretty good.

Point is, low population is a major pain, it inhibits both your military might and your industry. Anatolia is not the most populous of regions, so I assume Wiz is having/will have similar problems.

TildeATH
Oct 21, 2010

by Lowtax

Ottsky posted:

In all seriousness, that wouldn't help in any way besides religion, and that's not the important thing in Vic2, as it would put Azeri once more as a minority culture (the Farsis/Persians would suddenly way outnumber actual Azeris) and would leave us probably worse off than would be necessary. Plus, As DrProsek said, the Persians are significantly larger than us, and would more than likely be the 'winners' in such a situation.

Is there any way to go Maximum Rwanda and oppress the overwhelming majority ethnic group until the whole place comes apart at the seams*?

Because that would be fun.

* Yes, I know there were strong environmental reasons for that.

HerraS
Apr 15, 2012

Looking professional when committing genocide is essential. This is mostly achieved by using a beret.

Olive drab colour ensures the genocider will remain hidden from his prey until it's too late for them to do anything.

JT Jag posted:

The Persians just told Tunga to get bent when he asked them to join in the war against Russia. Can't remember exactly how long they've been separated but any peaceful unification is just not happening.

NihilCredo
Jun 6, 2011

iram omni possibili modo preme:
plus una illa te diffamabit, quam multæ virtutes commendabunt

Pakled posted:

Individual rulers don't really appear in the game at all in a substantial way, beyond Wiz's mod. You don't get ruler stats like in CK or EU3, all you get is what party is in power. Some rulers appear in flavor events and such, for instance, I think Victoria gets a "Victoria has ascended to the Throne" and a "Queen Victoria's Diamond Jubilee" event that give negligible bonuses and are just there for flavor.
If you play as the Papal States you also still get "The crown prince has married!"-type events because hey, it's a monarchy right? :downs:

Patter Song
Mar 26, 2010

Hereby it is manifest that during the time men live without a common power to keep them all in awe, they are in that condition which is called war; and such a war as is of every man against every man.
Fun Shoe

Pakled posted:

Individual rulers don't really appear in the game at all in a substantial way, beyond Wiz's mod. You don't get ruler stats like in CK or EU3, all you get is what party is in power. Some rulers appear in flavor events and such, for instance, I think Victoria gets a "Victoria has ascended to the Throne" and a "Queen Victoria's Diamond Jubilee" event that give negligible bonuses and are just there for flavor.

It does have one practical impact: Hanover starts out a British satellite, but the crowning of Victoria event ends that relationship.

Jesenjin
Nov 12, 2011
Wiz, if ruler's personality changes every 20 for monarchy, what is the deal for democratic governments? Do they change every 5 years or is model a bit different?

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Delicious and Informative!
:3:

Wiz posted:

Hopefully Paradox will have fixed the demand issue by that time.

WhitemageofDOOM posted:

Population is more important than anything, which is absurd for the Victorian period.
More important than anything? It doesn't really outweigh being uncivilized does it? I'm not sure about it being that absurd either, the trend in the period is for the countries with larger population to rise to the top, assuming similar levels of technology. Obviously it's not the only thing that matters, but it is a very important factor anyway.

the JJ
Mar 31, 2011

Jesenjin posted:

Wiz, if ruler's personality changes every 20 for monarchy, what is the deal for democratic governments? Do they change every 5 years or is model a bit different?

I think there's already the party system to handle that sort of thing.

WhitemageofDOOM
Sep 13, 2010

... It's magic. I ain't gotta explain shit.

A Buttery Pastry posted:

More important than anything? It doesn't really outweigh being uncivilized does it?

No, but if china civilizes the game literally snaps in half like a twig. (Actually, china already sorta does snap the game in half like a twig, because of it's 100k artisan stacks it does wonky loving things to finished goods.)

quote:

I'm not sure about it being that absurd either, the trend in the period is for the countries with larger population to rise to the top, assuming similar levels of technology. Obviously it's not the only thing that matters, but it is a very important factor anyway.

"Assuming similar levels of technology"
and similar levels of capital investment
and similar levels of social mobility
and similar levels of....

There's a lot of "ands and buts" in that statement that boil down to "Population wasn't that big a deal.".

Remember it was Britain that was at the heart of the industrial revolution.
Not Russia, India and China.
There are a lot of countries in the game that it is hard to industrialize as because of low population that historically did industrialize, and a lot of countries industrializing is a cake walk that didn't industrialize at all or until the end of the period. (Russia, Austria, i'm looking at you.)

WhitemageofDOOM fucked around with this message at 10:50 on Nov 18, 2012

Hefty Leftist
Jun 26, 2011

"You know how vodka or whiskey are distilled multiple times to taste good? It's the same with shit. After being digested for the third time shit starts to taste reeeeeeaaaally yummy."

Oh, Wiz. :allears:

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Delicious and Informative!
:3:

WhitemageofDOOM posted:

No, but if china civilizes the game literally snaps in half like a twig. (Actually, china already sorta does snap the game in half like a twig, because of it's 100k artisan stacks it does wonky loving things to finished goods.)
I got you! You admitted that there was something more important than population. ;)

But really, don't think I believe population isn't too important, that might very well be the case (been some time since I played the game), but it should be a major factor. Just not to the degree that it can trump anything else.

WhitemageofDOOM posted:

Remember it was Britain that was at the heart of the industrial revolution.
Not Russia, India and China.
There are a lot of countries in the game that it is hard to industrialize as because of low population that historically did industrialize, and a lot of countries industrializing is a cake walk that didn't industrialize at all or until the end of the period. (Russia, Austria, i'm looking at you.)
Oh, you're talking about industrialization specifically. I was thinking warfare as well, where you would really only need enough industry to arm your troops with relatively modern weapons, and to build enough railroads to transport your troops. Which is pretty much what Russia did in real life, wasn't it? They might not have really gotten on the industrialization train until rather late, but their sheer population helped hide those deficiencies.

As for the low pop countries and their difficulties industrializing, that's down to how the markets work isn't it? The whole lack of regional markets and ability to keep raw materials within your borders and so on.

Wiz
May 16, 2004

Nap Ghost
EDIT: The first run of Vicky 2 was retconnected and I decided to play March of the Eagles for the Revolutionary Wars instead. See OP for links.

Wiz fucked around with this message at 05:22 on Jan 26, 2014

Tamerlame
Oct 20, 2012

Interesting, is there any chance to exchange Crimea for our Jews in the conference?

sniper4625
Sep 26, 2009

Loyal to the hEnd
Voteessss.

After the end of the Second Revolutionary War, Europe was split into two - East and West. This marked the beginning of the period known as the Cold War. (maybe?)

YF-23
Feb 17, 2011

My god, it's full of cat!

So Borealia needs flags. Flagchat and flag making time woop woop :woop:

karmicknight
Aug 21, 2011

lullelulle posted:

Interesting, is there any chance to exchange Crimea for our Jews in the conference?

That should be our unstated goal, Crimea for historical Astrakhan.

Also, I really like the Borelia Union in North American, let's hope it can stand the Mexican tide.

Pakled
Aug 6, 2011

WE ARE SMART
I've been reading about the Paris Peace Conference that ended World War I recently. With this fresh in my mind, I can't imagine this conference going well for us.

Average Lettuce
Oct 22, 2012

What's the capital of Borealia?

Also, we need to start to get our diplomacy going in Europe, or we won't stand a chance against Russia.

Cate the Great
Nov 16, 2012

Why do you guys want Astrakhan so back? Wouldn't it be neater if we had a Jewish state instead of just having them be "ours"?

Also I'm sure we have some diaspora still around Azerbaijan, it's not like people never move :)

Keeper Garrett
May 4, 2006

Running messages and picking pockets since 1998.
I am loving the backwards Europe map! Reactionary French novelist Emile Zola in a few decades anyone?

ZiegeDame
Aug 21, 2005

YUKIMURAAAA!

Cate the Great posted:

Why do you guys want Astrakhan so back? Wouldn't it be neater if we had a Jewish state instead of just having them be "ours"?

Because they aren't an independent state, they're part of Russia. And we don't know what will happen to them in the hands of the Russians.

Do you think we could get our Jews back if we agreed to establish a democratic parliament?

spacebard
Jan 1, 2007

Football~
Murad's going to have a heart-to-heart with the Russian president about "modernization". A brilliant and cunning plan that will cripple the Russian economy with debt and iron.

theblastizard
Nov 5, 2009
What are the odds that Germany Anschlusses the hell out of Bavaria as a reaction to having two Revolutionary borders?

my dad
Oct 17, 2012

this shall be humorous

spacebard posted:

Murad's going to have a heart-to-heart with the Russian president about "modernization". A brilliant and cunning plan that will cripple the Russian economy with debt and iron.

But will it get us our Jews back?

skipThings
May 21, 2007

Tell me more about this
"Wireless fun-adaptor" you were speaking of.

Cate the Great posted:

We need to obsess about something, no?

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011
This is a really cool setup now, but it's looking grim for Azerbaijan. Now that their western borders are entirely revolutionary client states, the number one place for Russia to expand their own borders looks like us, and Europeans being Europeans it's likely the Great Powers will just hand over a bunch of our territory without asking us. Maybe Murad could declare Azerbaijan a revolutionary state and join the winning team?

Top Hats Monthly
Jun 22, 2011

People are people so why should it be, that you and I should get along so awfully blink blink recall STOP IT YOU POSH LITTLE SHIT
East vs West 150 years early.

Tamerlame
Oct 20, 2012

Cate the Great posted:

Also I'm sure we have some diaspora still around Azerbaijan, it's not like people never move :)

Because it's rightful Azeri clay.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ZiegeDame
Aug 21, 2005

YUKIMURAAAA!
On subjects unrelated to Jews, did I read that correctly in that Zhen and Japan aren't going to be part of these peace talks? If so, we're even more hosed.

• Locked thread