Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Are you getting the Wii U?
This poll is closed.
Yes 9031 65.25%
No 1191 8.60%
Maybe 808 5.84%
I'm an idiot 460 3.32%
Waluigi 1603 11.58%
Waa 748 5.40%
Total: 13841 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

• Locked thread
Chronojam
Feb 20, 2006

This is me on vacation in Amsterdam :)
Never be afraid of being yourself!

greatn posted:

So ever since Geoff Knightly tweeted that the Wii update is 5 GB everyone on the internet is taking this as canon. That can't be true right? I think someone here showed their used bandwidth for downloading it was closer to 1 GB?

I am worried about my power going out during update nd bricking the system though. Not that I have anything really prone to that in my area, but who knows.

poo poo happens, but if you're concerned, buy a UPS and just use it for your computer afterwards; they're not expensive and are handy especially if you ever get summer brownouts from too many A/C units in the neighborhood. If you're in an apartment your renter's insurance should cover a replacement, also.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Almost Smart
Sep 14, 2001

so your telling me you wasn't drunk or fucked up in anyway. when you had sex with me and that monkey

Ulio posted:

What's up with this ZombiU? I am hearing its the surprise of the launch titles or something.

Surprise! It's only so-so. People expecting a break-out hit and people expecting diarrhea in a disc format will both be disappointed.

VanillaGorilla
Oct 2, 2003

Managed to get my Deluxe this morning, with NMSBU and ZombiU. Picked up a new Wii-mote and a pro controller, as well. Been having a blast all afternoon, and the wife and I had a great time playing Mario and Nintendoland together.

Maybe I'm weird, but I read a lot of the various complaints across different sites, and I just don't get it. A lot of people seem to be upset that the WiiU isn't some monster powerhouse of a game machine, but I'm not sure why they ever expected it to be. I plan on buying a 720 when it comes out, too, and I feel like I'll pretty much be set between the two.

If you're the kind of person that's going to potentially have the WiiU as your sole console, then I'm wagering you're not all that concerned about what's under the hood anyway. Given the first-party support it's going to receive, I'm sure the casual audience that loved the Wii will like this too. Hell, NintendoLand is about 4x as fun as Wii Sports ever was (and HD Mario is absolutely gorgeous)!

edit: in response to the above, it's a pretty solid game. It definitely nails down the atmosphere and the tension. I can see why people are complaining, though - the combat isn't anything remarkable and it's pretty surprising that they didn't incorporate more melee weapons. That being said, the beauty of the combat is that it succeeds in making you feel more like one of the struggling survivors from The Walking Dead, and less like Duke Nukem.

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax
Well most of the houses in my neighborhood are gas heating and it's winter, so there shouldn't be too much of an electric drain on our circuit. I think I'll risk it.

KIM JONG TRILL
Nov 29, 2006

GIN AND JUCHE
That makes 3/3 in system lockups when downloading in the background and doing anything else.

Guess I'll just leave it alone until it downloads.

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax

KIM JONG TRILL posted:

That makes 3/3 in system lockups when downloading in the background and doing anything else.

Guess I'll just leave it alone until it downloads.

What's the ventilation situation in your console area? Is it in an entertainment cabinet of any sort? That's the only thing I can think of, apart from shoddy software, or bad heat dispersal on the console itself, if it is in some place where it can't effectively ventilate and doing two things at once is too hot.

scottus
Jul 31, 2012

Palmtree Panic
Jul 28, 2007

He has no style, he has no grace
Did anyone else have a bitch of a time trying to connect to the internet? The only way I could connect was to manually enter everything, the ip address, dns, even the ssid. I thought I kept entering the wrong security code, but I double checked with my 3DS and had absolutely no problems connecting there.

Anybody downloaded from the eshop yet? I curious if Nano Assault Neo & Little Inferno are any good.

KIM JONG TRILL
Nov 29, 2006

GIN AND JUCHE

greatn posted:

What's the ventilation situation in your console area? Is it in an entertainment cabinet of any sort? That's the only thing I can think of, apart from shoddy software, or bad heat dispersal on the console itself, if it is in some place where it can't effectively ventilate and doing two things at once is too hot.

It's open air.

Ulio
Feb 17, 2011

VanillaGorilla posted:

edit: in response to the above, it's a pretty solid game. It definitely nails down the atmosphere and the tension. I can see why people are complaining, though - the combat isn't anything remarkable and it's pretty surprising that they didn't incorporate more melee weapons. That being said, the beauty of the combat is that it succeeds in making you feel more like one of the struggling survivors from The Walking Dead, and less like Duke Nukem.

The surviving part sounds definitely neat, no zombie game has actually hit that.

Seems like from responses in this thread, average game with a few good elements.

Matlock
Sep 12, 2004

Childs Play Charity 2011 Total: $1755
http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=500411

This is either fake or looks like it could be really, really bad. Really fast.

On the other hand, Yoshi and Metal Gear games coming to Wii U!

Matlock fucked around with this message at 02:12 on Nov 19, 2012

Revol
Aug 1, 2003

EHCIARF EMERC...
EHCIARF EMERC...
Frozenbyte: Wii U indies set their own eShop prices, sale dates

quote:

Nintendo overhauled more than just its controller with the Wii U – it also revamped how it handles indie developers and eShop games. Frozenbyte (Trine 2) marketing manager Mikael Haveri tells IGN that Nintendo's foray into modern distribution puts it on par with established companies such as Steam and Apple.

"We have the power to price our products as we please, with just some basic guidelines from the big guys," Haveri says. "The step to this is purely from Nintendo's side and they clearly see that [their] previous installments have not been up to par. We can set our own pricing and actually continuing on that by setting our own sales whenever we want. It is very close to what Apple and Steam are doing at the moment, and very indie friendly."

Developers don't need to pay to patch their games on Wii U, either.
Recently Fez developer Polytron called out XBLA for charging "tens of thousands of dollars" for patches following the first, free one. Nintendo's infinitely free patching could be a large draw for indies.

"Simply put, they've told us that there are no basic payments for each patch (which were pretty high on most platforms) and that we can update our game almost as much as we want,"
Haveri says. "For indie developers this is huge."

Oh thank GOD

The Brown Menace
Dec 24, 2010

Now comes in all colors.

Has anyone mentioned that apparently some dude managed to access some sort of Miiverse admin panel and can delete admins at will now?

Edit:

Matlock posted:

drat you. :argh:

Bland
Aug 31, 2008

Winner Of The TRP I dont actually remember the contest im pretty high right now here's your venkys tag

Matlock posted:

The moment people started asking he make video proof he posted "fun is over. They fixed it. Last news out of this is that they can apparently update or fix Miiverse on the fly."

He is undoubtedly full of poo poo

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

:science:
Soiled Meat

That sounds awesome, I'm glad there's some good news coming out of this launch because if the Giant Bomb stream is any indication the Wii U is going to have a rough first few months (or it could just be the GB thread making everything sound terrible)

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.
Good-Feel (the Kirby's Epic Yarn/Wario Land Shake devs) have been rumoured to be working on a HD Yoshi platformer for ages now, so I'm guessing that leak/"leak" is just playing on those old rumours.

Alternately, it could be real, in which case I'll be really happy.

nerdbot
Mar 16, 2012

On one hand I think it's kind of bullshit, on the other hand I wouldn't be surprised either.

loving NeoGAF users are the worst kind of gamers though, jesus christ. Being flogged by pool noodles with large knives taped to them is preferable to reading these idiots, but here I am doing it anyway.

Commissar Ken
Dec 9, 2006

Children STILL love me, dammit!

I think the only thing I can honestly say i'd really wish ZombiU had that it doesn't is more connected areas. You go to each area by way of fast travel sewer grate, some areas are smaller some are larger, some are pretty much a labyrinth setup. Just no way to go between two areas without fast traveling. It's not much but it's my one gripe so far, other than that it's an actual factual survival horror game. Its fun if you really enjoy that instead of action horror.

And yes there is variety. Between regular zombies and helmet zombies and attention whore zombies i've seen so far i've had to fight/run/plan accordingly in different spots.

Commissar Ken fucked around with this message at 02:22 on Nov 19, 2012

Paper Jam Dipper
Jul 14, 2007

by XyloJW

nerdbot posted:

On one hand I think it's kind of bullshit, on the other hand I wouldn't be surprised either.

loving NeoGAF users are the worst kind of gamers though, jesus christ. Being flogged by pool noodles with large knives taped to them is preferable to reading these idiots, but here I am doing it anyway.

The Bayonetta 2 threads there were some of the best internet reading I've done all year.

DARPA Dad
Dec 9, 2008
Is Miiverse being a pile of poo poo for anyone else? Pops up an error code whenever I try to post a message.

Conclusions
Oct 18, 2003

The ball of yarn will be on your desk by Friday.
Hang on, I'm confused.

While you can't transfer accounts, can you still transfer Miis between consoles? Does that mean I can't go over to a friend's house and use my own Mii on Nintendoland?

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax
So Jim Sterling posted something really stupid on the Batman Miiverse board

Jim Sterling posted:

My favorite part was when the Batted Man kicked Doc Ocktopus in the face and said SHUT UP YOU IDIOT!

This is reputedly the first Wii U Miiverse post deleted by a moderator. Some nerds are up in arms about this. But it's a really loving stupid post and I'm glad it got moderated. If that were the first post in any Batman thread here it would probably net a probation. It was said to be taken down for "violent content" but honestly if Nintendo is going to take down uncreative stupid poo poo like that more power to them, come up with whatever excuse you want.

Paper Jam Dipper
Jul 14, 2007

by XyloJW
Noooo Nintendo is ruining my FREEDOM OF DUMB SPEECH

Commissar Ken
Dec 9, 2006

Children STILL love me, dammit!

Got a question. Played a bit this morning and afternoon and completely forgot that I didn't transfer over my Wii stuff. Going in there there's some veiled comments about software on the WiiU being wiped. If I do a Wii transfer now will it wipe all my save data/mii/whatever i've already put on the WiiU or will it just wipe the Wii menu stuff? Anyone do a wii transfer after playing awhile?

moron izzard
Nov 17, 2006

Grimey Drawer
Oh lord that mickey mouse framerate.

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

JSnake posted:

Is Miiverse being a pile of poo poo for anyone else? Pops up an error code whenever I try to post a message.

Yeah, while playing Mario I get the message after every other level and... a handful of drawings gone to waste. Golly this is frustrating.

Crowbear
Jun 17, 2009

You freak me out, man!

Robolizard! posted:

Oh lord that mickey mouse framerate.

That is one of the worst things I've ever seen.

Do not buy Epic Mickey on the Wii U, it has HORRENDOUS framerate issues that aren't present in the other versions.

Cherokee Jack
Dec 27, 2005

VanillaGorilla posted:

I don't know why I bought this game because when it comes to survival horror I'm a massive pussy. I do like the atmosphere, though. Feels really oppressive at times. Even if there's nothing in my immediate area I sneak around as if my life depended on it (though I suppose it really does).

Supercar Gautier
Jun 10, 2006

Commissar Ken posted:

Got a question. Played a bit this morning and afternoon and completely forgot that I didn't transfer over my Wii stuff. Going in there there's some veiled comments about software on the WiiU being wiped. If I do a Wii transfer now will it wipe all my save data/mii/whatever i've already put on the WiiU or will it just wipe the Wii menu stuff? Anyone do a wii transfer after playing awhile?

It doesn't wipe your Wii U data. In fact, it's pretty much completely unrelated to any Wii U data. It just loads your Wii stuff into the fenced-off Wii Mode on your console, and clears that data from the original Wii it came from.

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

I bought that Nano Assault game on the Wii U eShop or whatever the gently caress it's called, partly because I'd seen people posting about it here and mostly because I wanted to see how the shop worked. Nice that they let you use points or just pay the exact amount, no overage bullshit like with XBox Live.

I've decided that Nano Assault reminds me of Street Fighter 2010 from my glory days as a kid in more ways than one:

- The whole 'exit the level on time after beating the baddies or you lose anyway' thing
- Being really fuckin weird :psyduck:
- Being HARD AS HELL seriously the perspective shifts give me a headache :(

Fun game though. Being fully playable on the tablet is a definite plus.

Speaking of the tablet, is anyone else finding the battery life on that thing to be very short? I get two, maybe three hours before the battery light goes red, and maybe another half hour before I start getting the pad randomly restarting or whatever.

nerdbot
Mar 16, 2012

So hey, could someone explain to me the way Wii System Transfer stuff works?

I ask because my Wii broke in September--it'll start up, but it gives me a "Wii console save memory is corrupted" issue any time I try to start up any game or channel or linger on the menu for too long. All my stuff is still there on the system just fine, it seems to just be a console problem, and I haven't been able to scrounge up the money to get it repaired.

I'm asking because I don't know if I should bother getting it repaired if I can transfer my data to my Wii-U with no hoopla involved, whenever the hell I get one. (I...probably will have to repair it EVENTUALLY so I can play my Gamecube games, but that's another story)

Supercar Gautier
Jun 10, 2006

nerdbot posted:

So hey, could someone explain to me the way Wii System Transfer stuff works?

I ask because my Wii broke in September--it'll start up, but it gives me a "Wii console save memory is corrupted" issue any time I try to start up any game or channel or linger on the menu for too long. All my stuff is still there on the system just fine, it seems to just be a console problem, and I haven't been able to scrounge up the money to get it repaired.

I'm asking because I don't know if I should bother getting it repaired if I can transfer my data to my Wii-U with no hoopla involved, whenever the hell I get one. (I...probably will have to repair it EVENTUALLY so I can play my Gamecube games, but that's another story)

It doesn't sound like you'd be able to perform the transfer.

The way it works is: Transfer software is downloaded to both consoles. You start up the software on the Wii U, and it preps your SD card. Then you start up the software on the original Wii, and use it to copy your data onto the prepped SD card. Then you return the SD card to the Wii U.

Weirdly, while save data is carried over on the SD card, software is not; instead, all your software is redownloaded for you. I suppose that's meant to ensure that you can't possibly bring over any unauthourized programs.

testtubebaby
Apr 7, 2008

Where we're going,
we won't need eyes to see.

Anyone have a method to make the F-Zero attraction in Nintendo Land not lose connectivity all the time and force me to hold the controller sideways half of the time when it reorients?

I'm sitting like 3 feet from the drat console and I'm holding the pad the way it's displayed.

moron izzard
Nov 17, 2006

Grimey Drawer

Supercar Gautier posted:

The way it works is: Transfer software is downloaded to both consoles. You start up the software on the Wii U, and it preps your SD card. Then you start up the software on the original Wii, and use it to copy your data onto the prepped SD card. Then you return the SD card to the Wii U.

Weirdly, while save data is carried over on the SD card, software is not; instead, all your software is redownloaded for you. I suppose that's meant to ensure that you can't possibly bring over any unauthourized programs.

What if you are using the wii sd card channel to hold games - will it pick up that stuff?

Bombadilillo
Feb 28, 2009

The dock really fucks a case or nerfing it.

Played a tiny bit of Nano assault. Its amazing from what ive seen. Plus for everyone who got a pro controller, you can 2 player, on tv with pro and gamepad for other player. Its really fun, just played a level to see how it was, its real fun.

nerdbot
Mar 16, 2012

Supercar Gautier posted:

Ahh, alright. Thanks for the explanation! That works well enough. This wouldn't be necessary if stuff like Brawl's save data was copyable, but hey, you work with what you got I guess.

Just to make sure, theoretically I could keep all my data on both systems if I wanted? If I have to move EVERYTHING to my Wii-U I guess I would, but I would prefer that.

Paper Jam Dipper
Jul 14, 2007

by XyloJW

Ciaphas posted:

Speaking of the tablet, is anyone else finding the battery life on that thing to be very short? I get two, maybe three hours before the battery light goes red, and maybe another half hour before I start getting the pad randomly restarting or whatever.

Do you have a smartphone? Crank up the brightness and then either run on network data or play a ram eating game and tell me how much consistent hours you get.

If the Wii-U got more than three hours, they would probably be losing hundreds of dollars per console on the batteries alone.

Akileese
Feb 6, 2005

Since a ton of people picked up Sonic Racing would anyone like to get a race together in a bit? Is that even possible?

Paper Jam Dipper
Jul 14, 2007

by XyloJW

Akileese posted:

Since a ton of people picked up Sonic Racing would anyone like to get a race together in a bit? Is that even possible?

When I pick up my already paid for copy you are on.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Supercar Gautier
Jun 10, 2006

Robolizard! posted:

What if you are using the wii sd card channel to hold games - will it pick up that stuff?

It recognizes them, but for some bonkers reason it won't let you run them without redownloading. Why that is, and why that couldn't be done during the mass-redownload that takes place for your on-console software, I have no idea.

Incidentally, you're limited to the same amount of internal storage the Wii had, and still have to use a card for anything beyond that.

nerdbot posted:

Just to make sure, theoretically I could keep all my data on both systems if I wanted? If I have to move EVERYTHING to my Wii-U I guess I would, but I would prefer that.

No, it clears off the data from the original Wii.

• Locked thread