Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
kitten smoothie
Dec 29, 2001

I've had my MAXX HD off charger for about two days now (aside from two instances where out of force of habit I plugged in for 10 minutes in the car while listening to Pandora). 67% battery, and I'm using it just the same as I did the Nexus which needed to be plugged in all the drat time.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

http://www.theverge.com/2012/11/16/3653508/htc-droid-dna-review

The Droid DNA review is up.

Seriously HTC, why did you even bother?

4 1/2 hours in the battery rundown test and it can't even make it through a day of normal use. They also put a plastic plug on the USB port to seemingly rub it in your face every single time you need to charge it.

butt dickus
Jul 7, 2007

top ten juiced up coaches
and the top ten juiced up players

bull3964 posted:

4 1/2 hours in the battery rundown test and it can't even make it through a day of normal use. They also put a plastic plug on the USB port to seemingly rub it in your face every single time you need to charge it.
And yet it still manages to get a 4 in the battery life section. What would it take to score less than that?

Mighty Horse
Jul 24, 2007

Speed, Class, Bankruptcy.

bull3964 posted:

I read this and was drinking and nearly did a sitcom style spit-take.

They seriously could have made it just a tiny bit thicker and given it a battery that would at least be passable, not this joke.

Galler
Jan 28, 2008

Doctor rear end in a top hat posted:

And yet it still manages to get a 4 in the battery life section. What would it take to score less than that?
"DNA2 is an excellent phone but as it doesn't contain a battery and must be plugged in to use we've given it a battery score of 2."

Cbear
Mar 22, 2005
Yeah I'm not sure the battery will work for me. With a thunderbolt I've realized I need a decent battery.

butt dickus
Jul 7, 2007

top ten juiced up coaches
and the top ten juiced up players

Galler posted:

"DNA2 is an excellent phone but as it doesn't contain a battery and must be plugged in to use we've given it a battery score of 2."

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

Mighty Horse posted:

I read this and was drinking and nearly did a sitcom style spit-take.

They seriously could have made it just a tiny bit thicker and given it a battery that would at least be passable, not this joke.

The best part is, it's already thicker than the Razr HD MAXX.

But it's lighter.

What are you putting in your phones HTC? Perhaps we should have NOT included the wireless charging and added another 1000 mAh of battery.

Also, it's looking like the quad core S4 just isn't ready for prime time. They noted performance hiccups with it and I would be almost willing to bet that it's having the same thermal throttling issues that were reported on the Nexus 4.

It seems if you want a bulletproof reliable phone with good battery life, get one of the dual core S4 phones. If you want a mature quad core, better wait till next summer.

AppleCobbler
Feb 8, 2003
remember that time I was just chilling out and definitely not having a massive meltdown? right guys? guys??? :laugh:

Galler posted:

Battery Score: N/A

Overall: 8.7

"The DNA2 fixes what the DNA lacked, a bad battery."

On Terra Firma
Feb 12, 2008

kitten smoothie posted:

I've had my MAXX HD off charger for about two days now (aside from two instances where out of force of habit I plugged in for 10 minutes in the car while listening to Pandora). 67% battery, and I'm using it just the same as I did the Nexus which needed to be plugged in all the drat time.

How is it otherwise? I know of one other person on here that has given it rave reviews. How's the display comapared to the Gnex?

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

On Terra Firma posted:

How is it otherwise? I know of one other person on here that has given it rave reviews. How's the display comapared to the Gnex?

Display is much better. My Gnex display had some pretty apparent OLED uniformity issues, but my RAZR HD display is flawless as far as I can tell. The brightness baseline is also higher so the display isn't anywhere as dim on automatic brightness.

bull3964 fucked around with this message at 05:14 on Nov 17, 2012

kitten smoothie
Dec 29, 2001

edit: ^^ yeah, what he said.

On Terra Firma posted:

The display seems tons better than the Galaxy Nexus. The Galaxy Nexus had a problem with looking crappy and having uneven colors anywhere below 50% brightness, and I'm not seeing any of that with the HD.

Performance is snappier as well. Call quality is good and cell performance seems good as well.

All in all I'm pretty pleased with it.

I could not care less about rooting my phone or flashing alternate ROMs so the locked bootloader doesn't bug me.

Dr Blah PhD
Aug 11, 2007
Property of tithin
How about the camera on the razr maxx HD? I read some not-so-steller reviews about it, mainly its performance and low light areas and having a terrible focus.

ProjektorBoy
Jun 18, 2002

I FUCK LINEN IN MY SPARE TIME!
Grimey Drawer

bull3964 posted:

It looks like the Verge's battery rundown test keeps the screen on the entire time while basically using it uninterrupted. That's not how humans use a phone.

For something resembling regular use patterns, I like AndroidPolice.com's battery test in their review of the phone. They were a bit more reasonable in that they tested the phone without wifi as a crutch. Left sync & LTE turned on. Had a screen-on time of about 5 hours over a 24 hour period. Occasional streaming. Battery lasted plenty fine that way.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

ProjektorBoy posted:

It looks like the Verge's battery rundown test keeps the screen on the entire time while basically using it uninterrupted. That's not how humans use a phone.

For something resembling regular use patterns, I like AndroidPolice.com's battery test in their review of the phone. They were a bit more reasonable in that they tested the phone without wifi as a crutch. Left sync & LTE turned on. Had a screen-on time of about 5 hours over a 24 hour period. Occasional streaming. Battery lasted plenty fine that way.

That's the point of a battery rundown test. You subject the phone to a constant load so that you can objectively compare devices. Just using the phone in an ad-hoc manner doesn't lend itself to that sort of comparison.

When your competitors are getting 6-9 hours on the same test, it's pretty lackluster.

mrchina
Sep 8, 2004

AlexDeGruven posted:

Generally, Customer Service doesn't know dick, so make sure you get any guarantees like that in writing. Go to a corporate store and ask them the same questions and see what answers you get.

You will get hosed on this, I almost guarantee it

Well I transferred the line, didn't get hosed, and the other guy kept unlimited data...

On Terra Firma
Feb 12, 2008

bull3964 posted:

Display is much better. My Gnex display had some pretty apparent OLED uniformity issues, but my RAZR HD display is flawless as far as I can tell. The brightness baseline is also higher so the display isn't anywhere as dim on automatic brightness.

Are you or anyone else seeing the performance studders that some reviews are talking about? I saw it a little in store, but I'm wondering if that will be fixed by a patch because I'm not naive enough to believe moto will offer much in the way of backend support.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

On Terra Firma posted:

Are you or anyone else seeing the performance studders that some reviews are talking about? I saw it a little in store, but I'm wondering if that will be fixed by a patch because I'm not naive enough to believe moto will offer much in the way of backend support.

It stutters no more than my Galaxy Nexus did on ICS and is much faster at doing things like launching and installing apps.

I went from a JB phone to an ICS phone so I knew there were going to be some backsteps in UI fluidity, but JB is coming out soon enough.

negativeneil
Jul 8, 2000

"Personally, I think he's done a great job of being down to earth so far."
Twice since I got my HD MAXX, while using the phone, the screen freaks out. Over the course of maybe a quarter second, each individual horizontal line turns off at random until the whole screen is off and then it pops right back on as if nothing ever happened. I'm wondering if it's a software glitch or a hardware problem. I reeaaallly don't want to have to set up a brand new phone and transfer all my apps.

Man_of_Teflon
Aug 15, 2003

mrchina posted:

Well I transferred the line, didn't get hosed, and the other guy kept unlimited data...

How much did you sell for, out of curiosity?

mrchina
Sep 8, 2004

Man_of_Teflon posted:

How much did you sell for, out of curiosity?

$125 for the line, no phone.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

ProjektorBoy posted:

It seems people always fall over themselves trying to explain how little they actually use their phones. Sure, most workdays I don't use my phone much - an hour or so of Kindle/SA at lunch. But today I sat at a Firestone for 4 hours waiting for my car to get fixed up and I spent most of that time with my Maxx's screen on with 70% battery life to spare at the end of it. Can you really respect a phone that can't handle situations like that well?

Hell, I even brought my charger with me but there wasn't an outlet to be found. Last week I spent 10 solid hours on standby for a military exercise and the only outlet I could use wasn't located in a spot where I could sit and use my phone. It managed to last 6 hours browsing SA with 1 bar of 3G.

Tiny Timbs fucked around with this message at 06:17 on Nov 18, 2012

kbar
Aug 9, 2002

Do we have any insight as to whether the shittiness of the RAZR HD's camera is hardware or if it's software? Weirdly enough, this is turning out to be a sticking point for me re: RAZR HD vs. GS3.

If it's software and could be fixed, that seems to point toward waiting for that to happen and then picking up a RAZR HD Maxx used.

sourdough
Apr 30, 2012

kbar posted:

Do we have any insight as to whether the shittiness of the RAZR HD's camera is hardware or if it's software? Weirdly enough, this is turning out to be a sticking point for me re: RAZR HD vs. GS3.

If it's software and could be fixed, that seems to point toward waiting for that to happen and then picking up a RAZR HD Maxx used.

I can't imagine it's something that will be improved by software. The original RAZRs never got better cameras, right? I think it's just something you have to accept along with a locked bootloader if you opt for the RAZR HD, in exchange for getting nicer stock software and hardware.

Psimitry
Jun 3, 2003

Hostile negotiations since 1978
Ordered my DNA yesterday. Haters gonna hate.

modig
Aug 20, 2002
So I read all these article about how Verizon can't charge for tethering on tiered plans anymore. But I called and the lady said I needed to either upgrade to Share Everything (costs me $30/month extra) or pay for 4gb/month instead of 2gb/month (I'm currently on an old style family plan). The article also say you can use a 3rd party app and they can't block it anymore. So I guess my question is... are there any 3rd party tethering apps on the iPhone app store? Searches for "tether" and "hotspot" didn't find anything useful.

JayKay
Sep 11, 2001

And you thought they were cute and cuddly.

modig posted:

So I read all these article about how Verizon can't charge for tethering on tiered plans anymore. But I called and the lady said I needed to either upgrade to Share Everything (costs me $30/month extra) or pay for 4gb/month instead of 2gb/month (I'm currently on an old style family plan). The article also say you can use a 3rd party app and they can't block it anymore. So I guess my question is... are there any 3rd party tethering apps on the iPhone app store? Searches for "tether" and "hotspot" didn't find anything useful.

While VZW wont block the apps, Apple does. Only way to tether without paying/switching plans is to Jailbreak.

JayKay fucked around with this message at 04:10 on Nov 19, 2012

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin
My dad mentioned to me today that his current phone is broken and in repairs and that he's really sick of it anyways. He's apparently not due an upgrade until April. How much would it cost to just buy out his contract? I'd pressure him to get a razor max or max HD depending on the pricing of them, as battery life and talk time are the two most important things.

Rap Game Goku
Apr 2, 2008

Word to your moms, I came to drop spirit bombs

mastershakeman posted:

My dad mentioned to me today that his current phone is broken and in repairs and that he's really sick of it anyways. He's apparently not due an upgrade until April. How much would it cost to just buy out his contract? I'd pressure him to get a razor max or max HD depending on the pricing of them, as battery life and talk time are the two most important things.

http://www.myrateplan.com/contract_termination_fees/

So a lot, but probably less than canceling the contract and starting up a new one somewhere.

Although, if they'd let you there's got to be a break point where the ETF + discount is less than a phone outright.

sourdough
Apr 30, 2012

Psimitry posted:

Ordered my DNA yesterday. Haters gonna hate.

To be fair, the really bad battery tests are basically screen on time. As long as you know the battery will be terrible when the screen is on and much better when it's idling, no big :) No different than the Galaxy Nexus!

Psimitry
Jun 3, 2003

Hostile negotiations since 1978

RVProfootballer posted:

To be fair, the really bad battery tests are basically screen on time. As long as you know the battery will be terrible when the screen is on and much better when it's idling, no big :) No different than the Galaxy Nexus!

The way I look at it, it won't be much different from my current phone: it's on charge from when I go to bed to when I wake up, off charge until I get to work, on charge most all day at work, off charge until I go to bed.

Not too worried but I do acknowledge the short lifespan will be a pain as will the limited storage.

Big Bowie Bonanza
Dec 30, 2007

please tell me where i can date this cute boy
I'm having a bit of an issue. My bill is coming up on the 28th and I currently have a $1,200 charge because they still haven't processed my returned phone after a warranty replacement that I sent in 3 weeks ago.

I've been calling every single day asking if they've received it and the CSR usually can't even pull up tracking. I was informed when I was shipping the phone back that I could print out a smartpost label from the website and bring the package to USPS instead of Fedex, since the nearest Fedex place is an hour away from where I live.

Is it normal for them to not have tracking whatsoever on smartpost shipments? What is the turn around time on them checking out warranties? This is really frustrating, I have 3 other family members on my family plan and I can't really afford myself to have my phone shut off. If I had known it was going to turn into a nightmare like this I would've just dealt with the screen problem on my Gnex instead of trying to have it fixed.

AlexDeGruven
Jun 29, 2007

Watch me pull my dongle out of this tiny box

mrchina posted:

I'm actually glad to hear it. Still some hope for people on not getting hosed over.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

Soak test invites are going out to the Razr HD/HD MAXX

http://www.droid-life.com/2012/11/19/motorola-preparing-update-for-razr-hd-and-maxx-hd-likely-jelly-bean/

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin

Athenry posted:

http://www.myrateplan.com/contract_termination_fees/

So a lot, but probably less than canceling the contract and starting up a new one somewhere.

Although, if they'd let you there's got to be a break point where the ETF + discount is less than a phone outright.

Yeah, I've told him to go in and ask. I saw that amazon is selling Razr Maxxs for a penny, so even if the ETF is $100-150 I think it's well worth it, considering he currently has a refurb gshock thing that is terrible.

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

If you're having problems you're either holding the phone wrong or you have tiny girl hands.

mastershakeman posted:

Yeah, I've told him to go in and ask. I saw that amazon is selling Razr Maxxs for a penny, so even if the ETF is $100-150 I think it's well worth it, considering he currently has a refurb gshock thing that is terrible.

You have the verizon ETF plus the amazon ETF, plus any other possible fees.

Inudeku
Jul 13, 2008
So I have a question:

When me and my friend started our plan, I had an original Droid. I upgraded last year to a Droid 3 but it broke the other day. I try and swicth the service over to my Droid 1, and it says it's not compatible with my service. It's the exact same one. What gives?

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

They're still going to do one for the older Razr and Razr MAXX, right?

Also, be very careful when installing a leaked version JB update on your Razr HD. Since they're official signed updates they will overwrite your bootloader, potentially preventing you from returning your phone to stock.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

Fallom posted:

They're still going to do one for the older Razr and Razr MAXX, right?

It's supposed to be slated for Q1 2013. There of course are reasons to be pessimistic, but Motorola seems to be firing on on cylinders lately.

quote:

Also, be very careful when installing a leaked version JB update on your Razr HD. Since they're official signed updates they will overwrite your bootloader, potentially preventing you from returning your phone to stock.

Not going to be a problem for me :).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kitten smoothie
Dec 29, 2001

For what it's worth I did try installing the leaked RAZR HD 4.1 update, used it for a week, and had no problem going back to stock. Including the original bootloader.

The script I found that restores the stock image first flashed the old bootloader, then restarted back into the bootloader to complete the rest of the restore. The bootloader screen shows the firmware revision date, and I saw the revision date was older afterwards.

• Locked thread