Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Are you getting the Wii U?
This poll is closed.
Yes 9031 65.25%
No 1191 8.60%
Maybe 808 5.84%
I'm an idiot 460 3.32%
Waluigi 1603 11.58%
Waa 748 5.40%
Total: 13841 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

• Locked thread
Xenomorph
Jun 13, 2001
Well, I am thoroughly disappointed.

They's had 6 years to fix things.

Wii purchases are still tied to your console, not account. If your system breaks or is stolen, all purchases are lost.

Wii transfer utility only moves games & apps that are installed to the Wii's local storage (not SD card) despite the fact there isn't enough room on the Wii's local storage for games & apps. Seriously, how can I "make sure to copy all purchases back to the Wii" if there are several gigabytes of them and the Wii only has ~300MB of usable space?

Once the Wii data has been transferred (which is an incredibly slow process for just saved games), it does tell you that you can just download all your games & apps on the new Wii U.
However, once you load up the Wii store on the Wii U, you will discover that you still cannot download all your games to the Wii's internal storage, because despite buying a system with 8GB or 32GB of storage, Wii software can only use a few megs of that, forcing you to save things to the SD card again, which translates to incredibly slow loads and no update checks.

It works fine on PS3, Xbox 360, Android, iOS, webOS, etc. Why can't Nintendo do it?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Man-Thing
Apr 29, 2011

Whatever knows fear
BURNS at the touch
So I picked one of these bad boys up on a whim, and the guy at Another Castle recommended TANK!TANK!TANK! explaining, "It's a sequel to Tokyo Tank Wars" which is literally the seven words required for me to buy anything. However, I haven't unwrapped it yet and before I do, I wanted to see if anyone else bit on it and if it's worth it, or if I should return it for a different game (ZombieU? NintendoLand?)

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

Paper Jam Dipper posted:

Do you have a smartphone? Crank up the brightness and then either run on network data or play a ram eating game and tell me how much consistent hours you get.

If the Wii-U got more than three hours, they would probably be losing hundreds of dollars per console on the batteries alone.

Fair point :v: Makes me think that cradle that came in the deluxe I didn't get might have some minor value though. Oh well.

Scaly Haylie
Dec 25, 2004

Xenomorph posted:

It works fine on PS3, Xbox 360, Android, iOS, webOS, etc. Why can't Nintendo do it?

Well, we need something to complain about.

Fancy Hat!
Dec 5, 2003

In spite of how he's dressed, he ain't nobody's fool.
Boy I hope that Miiverse stuff heads to the 3DS soon in some capacity!

Tesh
Jun 30, 2002

If humans were cookies, I'd be the cookie monster.

Palmtree Panic posted:

Anybody downloaded from the eshop yet? I curious if Nano Assault Neo & Little Inferno are any good.

I bought Nano Assault Neo after watching the trailer on the eShop and it is definitely worth the price. It reminds me a lot of Super Stardust HD on PS3. Just a good twin stick shooter with a story mode, local co-op, arcade and survival modes, and leaderboards. A lot of fun!

testtubebaby
Apr 7, 2008

Where we're going,
we won't need eyes to see.

Man-Thing posted:

So I picked one of these bad boys up on a whim, and the guy at Another Castle recommended TANK!TANK!TANK! explaining, "It's a sequel to Tokyo Tank Wars" which is literally the seven words required for me to buy anything. However, I haven't unwrapped it yet and before I do, I wanted to see if anyone else bit on it and if it's worth it, or if I should return it for a different game (ZombieU? NintendoLand?)

Nintendo Land is absolutely fantastic, I've been loving ZombiU, and the reason I didn't get Tankx3 is that it doesn't have online play... thus negating it from scratching the itch I've had since Alien Front Online was taken down.

But Both NL and ZU are $60, and Tx3 is $40, so that may factor into things for you... but probably not since you bought a Wii U "on a whim."

Man-Thing
Apr 29, 2011

Whatever knows fear
BURNS at the touch

zenintrude posted:

Tankx3 doesn't have online play... thus negating it from scratching the itch I've had since Alien Front Online was taken down.
All I needed to know. I don't have company over nearly enough to justify a local MP game like TANK!TANK!TANK!

And it wasn't so much "on a whim" as "I sold off my 360 and ~60 games + kinect because I just wasn't playing anything and I already have 13 devices for NetFlix. Could've parted it out but I just didn't care and Another Castle are cool bros. It was basically $240 cash or WiiU + TANK!TANK!TANK! straight up. I wasn't gonna leave ~$80 on the table like that.

Rirse
May 7, 2006

by R. Guyovich
I'm liking Mighty Switch Force, but I'm afraid that I will burn through it. I heard the 3DS one was only two hours long before the DLC. Is that the same for the Wii U version?

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.

Rirse posted:

I'm liking Mighty Switch Force, but I'm afraid that I will burn through it. I heard the 3DS one was only two hours long before the DLC. Is that the same for the Wii U version?

Two hours is a bit of an exaggeration, but it's not a long game, no, especially if you're not interested in getting all the par times.

The Wii U version has "hyper" versions of every level which are extra-hard alternate layouts or something. I don't know if they're there from the beginning or if they're unlocked by beating all the par times or whatever.

Rirse
May 7, 2006

by R. Guyovich

PaletteSwappedNinja posted:

Two hours is a bit of an exaggeration, but it's not a long game, no, especially if you're not interested in getting all the par times.

The Wii U version has "hyper" versions of every level which are extra-hard alternate layouts or something. I don't know if they're there from the beginning or if they're unlocked by beating all the par times or whatever.

Oh that's good to hear. I just worry that I will burn through levels with nothing to unlock. Not that I'm complaining about a ten dollar game that is really good outside of the voice clips (reminds me too much of Blade Kitten).

Hamsterlady
Jul 8, 2010

Corpse Party, bitches.

Xenomorph posted:

Honestly, at this point I feel like it's not even worth going through the trouble to get my Wii stuff transferred. I'm gonna keep the thing around for homebrew stuff anyway, so it seems like a lot of trouble for nothing.

sandpiper
Jun 1, 2007

hhehehehehe
Man, the Giantbomb stream really nailed a few points home for me.

Did you guys SEE that horrible framerate on the Epic Mickey 2 WiiU port? It's chugging at like 10fps compared to a relatively flawless 360 framerate.

Well to be fair it's a launch port but man.

edit: oh this was mentioned last page

Dr. Glasscock
Apr 15, 2004

HOO-DAH!!! Fatal Wiimote blow to the face, 20 points!
Probably a little late to the party on this but I am surprised there is no digital audio out with this thing. My receiver is just mixing the audio as Pro Logic II I think. Maybe I'm crazy.

Also, weird thing, I think there is a bug with setting your Wii U Audio Output to Surround and Zombi U - there is no center channel at all when you do that, you have to set the Wii U output to Stereo for Zombi to work.

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.

sandpiper posted:

Man, the Giantbomb stream really nailed a few points home for me.

Did you guys SEE that horrible framerate on the Epic Mickey 2 WiiU port? It's chugging at like 10fps compared to a relatively flawless 360 framerate.

Well to be fair it's a launch port but man.

edit: oh this was mentioned last page

I remember someone asked Warren Spector whether there'd be a Wii U version and he said it was "literally impossible" given their schedule/budget, and then Disney announced one a week later. I guess they should have listened to Spector!

netBuff
Nov 7, 2011

by Fluffdaddy

Dr. Glasscock posted:

Probably a little late to the party on this but I am surprised there is no digital audio out with this thing. My receiver is just mixing the audio as Pro Logic II I think. Maybe I'm crazy.

Also, weird thing, I think there is a bug with setting your Wii U Audio Output to Surround and Zombi U - there is no center channel at all when you do that, you have to set the Wii U output to Stereo for Zombi to work.

As far as I understand it, the Wii U supports 6 channel PCM (uncompressed) via HDMI, which provides the best possible 5.1 sound quality. Check your settings or setup if you aren't getting surround with your receiver (and who knows, with how unfinished the whole OS seems, audio support may as well be buggy at this time).

netBuff fucked around with this message at 04:37 on Nov 19, 2012

Rirse
May 7, 2006

by R. Guyovich
Sounds like YOU CAN do multiple Wii to Wii U transfers. Some people on Gamefaqs are reporting success with this. I guess you can also move stuff from the same Wii more then once, but require a week to do this.

a new study bible!
Feb 2, 2009

BIG DICK NICK
A Philadelphia Legend
Fly Eagles Fly

Excuse me for asking once more:

1) Has anyone tested the backwards compatibility yet? The op isn't very clear, is the BC emulation or hardware? I'm assuming emulation because the OP states it needs an update to work.

2) Has anyone played Tekken Tag 2 yet? Have there been any impressions posted online?

Chronojam
Feb 20, 2006

This is me on vacation in Amsterdam :)
Never be afraid of being yourself!

Xenomorph posted:

They's had 6 years to fix things.

Wii purchases are still tied to your console, not account. If your system breaks or is stolen, all purchases are lost.

Wii transfer utility only moves games & apps that are installed to the Wii's local storage (not SD card) despite the fact there isn't enough room on the Wii's local storage for games & apps. Seriously, how can I "make sure to copy all purchases back to the Wii" if there are several gigabytes of them and the Wii only has ~300MB of usable space?

Once the Wii data has been transferred (which is an incredibly slow process for just saved games), it does tell you that you can just download all your games & apps on the new Wii U.
However, once you load up the Wii store on the Wii U, you will discover that you still cannot download all your games to the Wii's internal storage, because despite buying a system with 8GB or 32GB of storage, Wii software can only use a few megs of that, forcing you to save things to the SD card again, which translates to incredibly slow loads and no update checks.

Aw gently caress, they didn't patch all of the Wii titles ever released to be aware of the full storage capacity? :( What have they been wasting their time doing the past couple of years, making a console or something? Seriously though, the older games and things didn't even recognize SDHC and were never updated so this is expected pretty much, poo poo as it is.

sandpiper
Jun 1, 2007

hhehehehehe

WeLandedOnTheMoon! posted:

1) Has anyone tested the backwards compatibility yet? The op isn't very clear, is the BC emulation or hardware? I'm assuming emulation because the OP states it needs an update to work.

2) Has anyone played Tekken Tag 2 yet? Have there been any impressions posted online?

TTT2 was on the Giantbomb stream.

It runs fine, looks great. They brought back Tekken Ball and mario/luigi/cpt falcon/zero suit samus/peach/bowser/fox/zelda/link costumes for the cast too

ALSO new gamemodes like that one with mushrooms from mario and invincibility stars and everything

sandpiper fucked around with this message at 04:43 on Nov 19, 2012

nerdbot
Mar 16, 2012

Supercar Gautier posted:

No, it clears off the data from the original Wii.

Ahh, huh. Is the transfer irreversible?

Nevertheless, I'm sure I can do some slightly-illicit tinkering to keep everything in one place. Thanks for the info.

bloodysabbath
May 1, 2004

OH NO!

PaletteSwappedNinja posted:

I remember someone asked Warren Spector whether there'd be a Wii U version and he said it was "literally impossible" given their schedule/budget, and then Disney announced one a week later. I guess they should have listened to Spector!

Spector gave an interview where he stated that Epic Mickey was essentially the same type of game as Deus Ex because they both had "choices," and then went into a "get off my lawn" speech about these whippersnapper game developers these days with all their bloods and their violences.

So, you know, gonna love the man forever for DX, but nobody should be listening to Warren Spector these days.

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.

bloodysabbath posted:

Spector gave an interview where he stated that Epic Mickey was essentially the same type of game as Deus Ex because they both had "choices," and then went into a "get off my lawn" speech about these whippersnapper game developers these days with all their bloods and their violences.

So, you know, gonna love the man forever for DX, but nobody should be listening to Warren Spector these days.

He's right, about everything.

deptstoremook
Jan 12, 2004
my mom got scared and said "you're moving with your Aunt and Uncle in Bel-Air!"
So one thing that's unclear to me from this whole slew of peripherals is whether the stupid controller-with-a-screen is required for certain video games. Do launch titles (and future games) use that screen to display additional information about the game, and if so, does it necessitate me looking up and down? I think that would very much be a dealbreaker for me.

extremebuff
Jun 20, 2010

Wait, the Wii mode even copies the amount of memory the Wii had? It only lets you use half a gig of space even though the console has many times that?

That is HILARIOUSLY bad.

Dr. Glasscock
Apr 15, 2004

netBuff posted:

As far as I understand it, the Wii U supports 6 channel PCM (uncompressed) via HDMI, which provides the best possible 5.1 sound quality. Check your settings or setup if you aren't getting surround with your receiver (and who knows, with how unfinished the whole OS seems, audio support may as well be buggy at this time).

I have it set up a little weird since my receiver is old and doesn't have HDMI. Wii U HTMI to TV, digital optical out from TV to receiver. From what I can tell the receiver is only picking up a stereo signal, even when the Wii U is set to surround. I'm not 100% on that, I guess I could try flipping the Pro Logic II between Movie and Music to see if it does anything, if so then I assume it's not doing what it's supposed to.

Supercar Gautier
Jun 10, 2006

deptstoremook posted:

So one thing that's unclear to me from this whole slew of peripherals is whether the stupid controller-with-a-screen is required for certain video games. Do launch titles (and future games) use that screen to display additional information about the game, and if so, does it necessitate me looking up and down? I think that would very much be a dealbreaker for me.

If you fundamentally hate the concept of the Wii U's primary controller then the Wii U is probably not for you.

(the Gamepad is awesome)

Beardless Riker
Apr 14, 2005

deptstoremook posted:

I feel like this is one of the most obvious and immediately addressed things when it comes to an overview of what the Wii U is.

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

Bobnumerotres posted:

Wait, the Wii mode even copies the amount of memory the Wii had? It only lets you use half a gig of space even though the console has many times that?

That is HILARIOUSLY bad.
Shouldn't that have been obvious from the beginning once it was revealed that Wii Mode wasn't simulation or emulation? I just assumed that the Wii internal flash memory has a partition set aside for Wii OS. I mean it's literally just 1:1 Wii mode, in every way. Walled off from everything.

Playing through world 2 of NSMBU. This game is so much better than NSMB2. Also, the game actually looks fantastic in HD. Not as good as Rayman Origins, but still really pretty. Literally the only downside is the music. All of the high scores are legit. This isn't phoned in.

moron izzard
Nov 17, 2006

Grimey Drawer

nerdbot posted:

Ahh, huh. Is the transfer irreversible?

Nevertheless, I'm sure I can do some slightly-illicit tinkering to keep everything in one place. Thanks for the info.

If your wii is hacked and you can back up / restore your NAND, you could do that.

netBuff
Nov 7, 2011

by Fluffdaddy

Dr. Glasscock posted:

I have it set up a little weird since my receiver is old and doesn't have HDMI. Wii U HTMI to TV, digital optical out from TV to receiver. From what I can tell the receiver is only picking up a stereo signal, even when the Wii U is set to surround. I'm not 100% on that, I guess I could try flipping the Pro Logic II between Movie and Music to see if it does anything, if so then I assume it's not doing what it's supposed to.

In that case, what you are getting (Pro Logic 2 at least in some games) is "working as intended". The Wii U doesn't support Dolby Digital 5.1 or DTS on a system level (although some games may individually encode Dolby Digital), which is why your TVs TOSLINK port won't output more than stereo/Pro Logic 2.

If you desire digital surround, you'll have to buy a new AV receiver.

Cherokee Jack
Dec 27, 2005

WeLandedOnTheMoon! posted:

I'm not sure what the update does because I haven't grabbed it yet (lovely internet service) but BC does work out of the box. I went into Wii Mode on the Wii U and inserted Xenoblade Chronicles. It works! So did The Last Story (the only other Wii game I own).

Sorry I can't add much more than that.

edit: if the update has to do with online features or transferring files over to the Wii U I can't say, hopefully someone else can.

Dr. Glasscock
Apr 15, 2004

netBuff posted:

In that case, what you are getting (Pro Logic 2 at least in some games) is "working as intended". The Wii U doesn't support Dolby Digital 5.1 or DTS on a system level(although some games may do individually allow for Dolby Digital), which is why your TVs TOSLINK port won't output more than stereo/Pro Logic 2.

If you desire digital surround, you'll have to buy a new AV receiver.

Ah, so the signal gets to the TV and the TOSLINK just refuses to output what came in? Sucks. Though I was in the market for a new receiver soon anyways.

extremebuff
Jun 20, 2010

Quest For Glory II posted:

Shouldn't that have been obvious from the beginning once it was revealed that Wii Mode wasn't simulation or emulation? I just assumed that the Wii internal flash memory has a partition set aside for Wii OS. I mean it's literally just 1:1 Wii mode, in every way. Walled off from everything.

But even with 1:1 wii mode, they could've made the partition larger..but that would require some thought.

Also the account thing is really disappointing. There might as well not be accounts if they're system-bound :psyduck:

deptstoremook
Jan 12, 2004
my mom got scared and said "you're moving with your Aunt and Uncle in Bel-Air!"

Supercar Gautier posted:

If you fundamentally hate the concept of the Wii U's primary controller then the Wii U is probably not for you.

(the Gamepad is awesome)

Beardless Riker posted:

I feel like this is one of the most obvious and immediately addressed things when it comes to an overview of what the Wii U is.
Thanks for the worthless replies, I appreciate it. After watching the videos in the OP I get what the controller might be used for, but not how it's actually implemented and will be implemented in the future.

If I need to continually switch my focus between a screen in my hand and a TV screen, I'm not interested, but if the screen is mostly used for replicating the game image or other non-time-essential information, I guess that's OK.

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

Bobnumerotres posted:

But even with 1:1 wii mode, they could've made the partition larger..but that would require some thought.

Also the account thing is really disappointing. There might as well not be accounts if they're system-bound :psyduck:
They could have made it larger but it's probably a part of the OS reserved space so that it's consistent across both systems. Adding more space ends up leaving the Basic unit with even less free space to work with.

skog
Aug 20, 2009
Holy poo poo, off TV play is incredible.

My tag is omarxfd, I've got no frans so feel free (please) add me

sandpiper
Jun 1, 2007

hhehehehehe

deptstoremook posted:

Thanks for the worthless replies, I appreciate it. After watching the videos in the OP I get what the controller might be used for, but not how it's actually implemented and will be implemented in the future.

If I need to continually switch my focus between a screen in my hand and a TV screen, I'm not interested, but if the screen is mostly used for replicating the game image or other non-time-essential information, I guess that's OK.

The best possible application I see for it is in a game like Etrian Odyssey where you can use it like the second screen on a DS to draw a map, but it's turnbased so you can look down whenever you want.

extremebuff
Jun 20, 2010

deptstoremook posted:

That would be on a game-by-game basis. Some games will force you to look down, others will incorporate it in a smoother way.

With practically every game supporting the Pro Controller, there are going to be a lot of games that ignore the pad or have limited use for it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

deptstoremook posted:

It depends on the game. Most games have an off-TV mode that just mirrors the screen to the gamepad though, like Mario, Scribblenauts, AC3. So you can just do that.

Some games put their menus and maps on the bottom screen and take the HUD off the TV, like Batman and ZombiU.

And some games like NintendoLand and Rayman Legends need you to look at the screen.

• Locked thread