Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Are you getting the Wii U?
This poll is closed.
Yes 9031 65.25%
No 1191 8.60%
Maybe 808 5.84%
I'm an idiot 460 3.32%
Waluigi 1603 11.58%
Waa 748 5.40%
Total: 13841 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

• Locked thread
Chronojam
Feb 20, 2006

This is me on vacation in Amsterdam :)
Never be afraid of being yourself!

Bobnumerotres posted:

Wait, the Wii mode even copies the amount of memory the Wii had? It only lets you use half a gig of space even though the console has many times that?

That is HILARIOUSLY bad.

Yeah. And I've heard that some software developers like Valve still put out 32-bit software. I mean, what the gently caress, I've got over 16 gigs of RAM here and their shoddy software only ever uses 2 gigs! :argh:

(The Wii had no operating system, and third parties aren't going to rebuild their software just for the Wii U)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

extremebuff
Jun 20, 2010

Chronojam posted:

Yeah. And I've heard that some software developers like Valve still put out 32-bit software. I mean, what the gently caress, I've got over 16 gigs of RAM here and their shoddy software only ever uses 2 gigs! :argh:

(The Wii had no operating system, and third parties aren't going to rebuild their software just for the Wii U)

I'm talking about hard disk memory.

Dr. Glasscock
Apr 15, 2004

HOO-DAH!!! Fatal Wiimote blow to the face, 20 points!
What is that square icon on the Game Pad under the D-Pad supposed to be? Just some random graphic? It's weird.

Also the Miiverse looks like it imploded. Taking forever to load and every game is empty. Weird.

Dr. Glasscock fucked around with this message at 05:04 on Nov 19, 2012

A True Jar Jar Fan
Nov 3, 2003

Primadonna

This thread moves fast so forgive me if this has already been asked, but can someone tell me if the WiiU can output through both HDMI and composite/component cables at the same time? My TV doesn't have any kind of audio out at all, so this is the only way for me to hook a console up to my sound system.

Chronojam
Feb 20, 2006

Bobnumerotres posted:

I'm talking about hard disk memory.

I was going to rail about how SD-aware Wii games don't support SDHC unless built with later libraries, but that's hardly an analogy. It's more an example of the fact the Wii had no unified system; your software had the libraries it was built against, and that was it.

Happy Blue Cow
Oct 23, 2008

I have moooore respect for
Mr. Carpainter then others. Even if I become someone's steak dinner, I'll still respect him.

Surlaw posted:

This thread moves fast so forgive me if this has already been asked, but can someone tell me if the WiiU can output through both HDMI and composite/component cables at the same time? My TV doesn't have any kind of audio out at all, so this is the only way for me to hook a console up to my sound system.

No. The audio/video tied to HDMI or component, no option for one on either.

and yes, that's terrible

a new study bible!
Feb 2, 2009

BIG DICK NICK
A Philadelphia Legend
Fly Eagles Fly

Cherokee Jack posted:

I'm not sure what the update does because I haven't grabbed it yet (lovely internet service) but BC does work out of the box. I went into Wii Mode on the Wii U and inserted Xenoblade Chronicles. It works! So did The Last Story (the only other Wii game I own).

Sorry I can't add much more than that.

edit: if the update has to do with online features or transferring files over to the Wii U I can't say, hopefully someone else can.

Thanks, good to know.

Terrapin
Aug 25, 2003

Dr. Glasscock posted:

What is that square icon on the Game Pad under the D-Pad supposed to be? Just some random graphic? It's weird.

Also the Miiverse looks like it imploded. Taking forever to load and every game is empty. Weird.

The graphic is the Near Field Communication

parasyte
Aug 13, 2003

Nobody wants to die except the suicides. They're no fun.

Chronojam posted:

I was going to rail about how SD-aware Wii games don't support SDHC unless built with later libraries, but that's hardly an analogy. It's more an example of the fact the Wii had no unified system; your software had the libraries it was built against, and that was it.

HackMii did a post on this back in 2009. Capabilities added to the Wii software go in later versions of the common libraries and were never backported to older versions, which is why when you eject the disc with Twilight Princess booted the disc slot LED will not blink. The only times older versions were touched were to fix security issues, like the Twilight Hack.

Almost Smart
Sep 14, 2001

so your telling me you wasn't drunk or fucked up in anyway. when you had sex with me and that monkey
I really like how the pro controller feels in my hand, but the button placement is going to take some getting used to. I can definitely see my thumb cramping up after prolonged play. Nintendo already aped so much of the 360 pad I kind of wish they just said "gently caress it" and mirrored the stick placement too.

A True Jar Jar Fan
Nov 3, 2003

Primadonna

Happy Blue Cow posted:

No. The audio/video tied to HDMI or component, no option for one on either.

and yes, that's terrible
Thanks, that's pretty annoying. I wasn't planning on picking one up right away but this will definitely make me hold off until I upgrade my TV.

Chumbawumba4ever97
Dec 31, 2000

by Fluffdaddy
Am I the only one surprised by how incredible the controller's speakers are? I mean I know the original Wii had laughably bad ones but that was more for gimmicky sound effects. Not only does this gamepad have the same sound quality (obviously) of the Wii U game you are playing, but holy hell it is LOUD. VERY LOUD.

extremebuff
Jun 20, 2010

Miyamotos RGB NES posted:

Am I the only one surprised by how incredible the controller's speakers are? I mean I know the original Wii had laughably bad ones but that was more for gimmicky sound effects. Not only does this gamepad have the same sound quality (obviously) of the Wii U game you are playing, but holy hell it is LOUD. VERY LOUD.

I wouldn't blast it all day if I were you. I know it's a Nintendo product but tiny speakers don't tend to last very long, and replacing a WiiU controller probably won't be easy.

Argue
Sep 29, 2005

I represent the Philippines

Quest For Glory II posted:

Playing through world 2 of NSMBU. This game is so much better than NSMB2. Also, the game actually looks fantastic in HD. Not as good as Rayman Origins, but still really pretty. Literally the only downside is the music. All of the high scores are legit. This isn't phoned in.

I don't mind the wah-wahs, and to be honest, they've grown on me, but please tell me the music is new. Not a single NSMB2 level had new music.

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

Is Miiverse broken or just painfully slow right now? Also, how do you check to see if anyone has added you?

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

Argue posted:

I don't mind the wah-wahs, and to be honest, they've grown on me, but please tell me the music is new. Not a single NSMB2 level had new music.
There is some new music and some recycled. I will say that the recycled music has at least had some touches done to it (the castle music removed the BAHs for example).

I think the two reused tracks that pop up the most are the Haunted House music and Castle music.

moron izzard
Nov 17, 2006

Grimey Drawer

Surlaw posted:

Thanks, that's pretty annoying. I wasn't planning on picking one up right away but this will definitely make me hold off until I upgrade my TV.

They have breakouts and switches that also have breakouts

Chronojam
Feb 20, 2006

parasyte posted:

HackMii did a post on this back in 2009. Capabilities added to the Wii software go in later versions of the common libraries and were never backported to older versions, which is why when you eject the disc with Twilight Princess booted the disc slot LED will not blink. The only times older versions were touched were to fix security issues, like the Twilight Hack.

This does a really good job of explaining it all, thanks.

Alteisen
Jun 4, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

ImpAtom posted:

So I saw an article earlier about Ninja Gaiden 3 for the WiiU being less lovely than the 360/PS3 versions. Is there anything backing that up?

Like Palette said its just turd polishing, they essentially added some mechanics they removed like upgrading and slightly faster combat but everything else is exactly the same, you still move in a straight line mowing down enemies and the difficulty is all wrong, also EXTREME CLOSEUPS when you dismember someone. Stupid QTE's are still there, auto aim when you use any ranged weapon, like I said, small tweaks that amount to nothing in the end.

Its just bad, the Ayane sections add nothing either.

A True Jar Jar Fan
Nov 3, 2003

Primadonna

Robolizard! posted:

They have breakouts and switches that also have breakouts
I have no idea what this means and Google didn't help me much so any further explanation would be really appreciated, thanks!

Spraynard Kruger
May 8, 2007

My universal remote missed turning my receiver on and it took me and my friends about a half an hour to notice there was a problem.

Underwhelmed
Mar 7, 2004

Nap Ghost

After playing on the WiiU using a Wiimote, I have come to the conclusion that at least half of why the Wiimotes sounded like poo poo was the Wii's fault, not the actual speaker. While it is still really tinny, it is at least clear when playing WiiU games like NSMBU.

I want to also agree that NSMBU is as goddamn awesome as advertised. It feels like that near-perfect mix of SMB3, SMW, and the first NSMB. I have enjoyed playing around with ZombiU and Scribblenauts, but Mario is the clear best so far.

sandpiper
Jun 1, 2007

hhehehehehe

Alteisen posted:

Like Palette said its just turd polishing, they essentially added some mechanics they removed like upgrading and slightly faster combat but everything else is exactly the same, you still move in a straight line mowing down enemies and the difficulty is all wrong, also EXTREME CLOSEUPS when you dismember someone. Stupid QTE's are still there, auto aim when you use any ranged weapon, like I said, small tweaks that amount to nothing in the end.

Its just bad, the Ayane sections add nothing either.

It also has a sort of muddy lowres look to it compared to the other console versions, which I discovered very recently. Is this true?

extremebuff
Jun 20, 2010

sandpiper posted:

It also has a sort of muddy lowres look to it compared to the other console versions, which I discovered very recently. Is this true?

Yes. Almost every site reported that it had muddy textures compared to other versions, and there are points where the framerate drops.

NG3, awful as it was, ran perfectly on the PS3/360, and while it wasn't the prettiest game, it looked very crisp.

Ageofbob
Sep 16, 2011
So I preordered about a week ago, was only the second person who preordered by the way, and I go up to the shop... and it's closed. :mad:

I have to wait til tomorrow, after school, to experience the five hour downloads and constant crashing and errors!

I know that's not as bad as some other folks in here, but what kind of store just closes for an entire day! And on a launch day as well! Oh well, I suppose they cant be bothered to open for the two people who pre-ordered :(

CubsWoo
Aug 17, 2005

Where the big boys RAAAAAAARRRRRRRRRGH FUCK YOU
Club Nintendo coins are now redeemable for Eshop purchases and from scanning the list it looks like every single downloadable title qualifies for coins.

Static Rook
Dec 1, 2000

by Lowtax
So I made a Club Nintendo account and linked my Wii U to it. How soon do the coins show up? (I'm frantically searching through my old game cases for those little PIN fliers to build up my coins.)

Rirse
May 7, 2006

by R. Guyovich
Hooray, I am happy to report you CAN over two Wiis to the same Wii U. It merged the content from both Shop Channels into one. :toot:

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.

CubsWoo posted:

Club Nintendo coins are now redeemable for Eshop purchases and from scanning the list it looks like every single downloadable title qualifies for coins.

Do you mean you can redeem Club Nintendo coins for any digital game, or just the select ones they make available every few weeks (something they've been doing for a while now)?

extremebuff
Jun 20, 2010

http://www.ign.com/articles/2012/11/18/making-friends-with-wii-u

The bad news about the console is just stacking up.

I can't wait for Monster Hunter to come out so I can just play that and ignore all the retarded stuff Nintendo has done.

parasyte
Aug 13, 2003

Nobody wants to die except the suicides. They're no fun.

Static Rook posted:

So I made a Club Nintendo account and linked my Wii U to it. How soon do the coins show up? (I'm frantically searching through my old game cases for those little PIN fliers to build up my coins.)

It took mine about an hour to register the survey on the club site.

Boten Anna
Feb 22, 2010

I'm really tempted to get Assassin's Creed for the U, is it pretty much the same as the ps3/etc. versions or is there anything different?

I haven't played any AC before but going around killing white people sounds rad.

Shadowfyst
Jun 8, 2003

CubsWoo posted:

Out of curiosity, what are the coin costs for the games?

Akileese
Feb 6, 2005

parasyte posted:

It took mine about an hour to register the survey on the club site.

It's been a few hours for me and the survey still isn't showing up despite it being linked.

Dr. VooDoo
May 4, 2006

Bobnumerotres posted:

I can't wait for Monster Hunter to come out so I can just play that and ignore all the retarded stuff Nintendo has done.

There's also the ability to send out friend requests with those you've recenty played an online game with from the miiverse as well. Really I don't get why people are upset about this. It's like the same way I do it in xbox live. I type in someones name and they get a request or if I've played with them I find their name in recent players and send one. If you were to type out ever single step like "Click profile" and "click send request" the xbox live add a friend would look long as well

moron izzard
Nov 17, 2006

Grimey Drawer

Surlaw posted:

I have no idea what this means and Google didn't help me much so any further explanation would be really appreciated, thanks!

I've seen a few boxes that will decode and break out the audio into 2 rca jacks or an optical jack - hdmi audio extractor would be the keywords on ebay. I have no idea how this might affect latency or anything like that.

Boten Anna
Feb 22, 2010

Bobnumerotres posted:

Jeez histrionic much?

Summary of the article: adding people through friends list is bad unless you mutually add each other. To make a proper request with a notification, search for them using the user menu on miiverse and add them there.

Heran Bago
Aug 18, 2006

Anyone have some good disassembled pics of the console or tablet?

VV Hot drat thanks Robolizard!!

Heran Bago fucked around with this message at 06:11 on Nov 19, 2012

moron izzard
Nov 17, 2006

Grimey Drawer

Heran Bago posted:

Anyone have some good disassembled pics of the console or tablet?

http://www.anandtech.com/show/6465/nintendo-wii-u-teardown

http://www.pcper.com/reviews/General-Tech/Nintendo-Wii-U-Teardown-Photos-and-Video

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bluegoon
Mar 5, 2010

by Pragmatica
OK, this loving xbox froze mid-show for the last loving time, can the WiiU play videos from something like Tversity? I'm in South Africa, no Netflix, Hulu, all that white people poo poo is barred from usage because Africa. Is there any way to stream media hosted on a PC or portable drive to this machine?

• Locked thread