Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Eight Is Legend
Jan 2, 2008

cyberia posted:

I need some help making a playlist of rock / hard rock / metal songs that could be played in a strip club / while a girl is dancing.

Unfortunately rock is not my genre of choice and I have no idea where to start looking (beyond the obvious 80s hair metal choices). So can some goons recommend me some (reasonably) modern bands, artists or specific tracks that would fit the niche of dirty, sleazy and loud rock 'n' roll.

So far the only band I've found in my own collection that is suitable is the Genitorturers and some of Devil Driver's stuff but I know there must be far more appropriate bands that I just don't know about.

Check out the newest record from Escape the Fate, I think that was pretty much the sound they were going for.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Eight Is Legend
Jan 2, 2008

Skilleddk posted:

For some reason listening to Alcest reminded me of many Jesu albums that I haven't even touched. Today I got the Envy / Jesu split, and goddamn I love the Envy stuff. Is there any more to this screamo / shoegaze / post rock thing?

Check out Amia Venera Landscape!

Cobweb Heart
Mar 31, 2010

I need you to wear this. I need you to wear this all the time. It's office policy.
Can I get some recommendations for really relaxing/beautiful, nature-inspired fingerstyle guitar?

Biaga
Oct 27, 2009
So I have been listening a lot to a local modern folk group and would love to hear more music similar to their work. I am not exactly the most familiar with the genre, so suggestions would be welcome.

The Strumbella's "the bird that fallows me"
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aCMUv-jULzE

Smarmy Coworker
May 10, 2008

by XyloJW
I've gotten into a post-hardcore / prog rock kick recently and I'm looking for bands that are along the lines of Coheed and Cambria, Chiodos/D.R.U.G.S., Chiodos' album Illuminaudio (Yesterday's Rising singer), The Fall of Troy, and A Skylit Drive but not necessarily in the same genre. I'm honestly more interested in the vocals than anything else. I think the only time I ever care about the rest is if it's an instrumental track, which is kind of a shame but I can't help it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BGN89b4CP-E
probably a good representation if I had to pick one song

Kind of broad, and I've been looking over Wikipedia's list of post-hardcore bands, and over some of the labels for the mentioned bands, but I think it would be good to see specific recommendations.

Killsion
Feb 16, 2011

Templars Rock.

Cobweb Heart posted:

Can I get some recommendations for really relaxing/beautiful, nature-inspired fingerstyle guitar?

More new agey but William Ackerman may be up your alley.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Nv5PXAAxzyE

Babies Getting Rabies
Apr 21, 2007

Sugartime Jones

Cobweb Heart posted:

You might like John Butler (and John Butler Trio) as well.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5xZw9D9c18E

H-Tail
Dec 18, 2005

"I'm not a crybaby"

Yoshifan823 posted:

I don't know exactly how to describe this, but I want stuff like Midnight City, Dance Yrself Clean or Bowie's Heroes, that sound like they should be played when you're driving at 2AM and it's perfectly dark and starry and maybe there's a little neon in the distance and you're completely at peace with the world. Not sparse, but really full sounding and almost droning, with layers. (edit: like, music that almost brings you to tears because it's emotional and awesome and...)

That's a weird rear end description, I hope someone can help me.

edit:

Los Campesinos might be what you're looking for. Also, if you're willing to put aside any previous thoughts about her, the new Ke$ha single is probably right up your alley. (edit: duh, and Nate Ruess' first band, The Format.

This is a few pages back, but I actually have this exact playlist, and I recommend Supergrass - Road to Rouen and Doves - The Last Broadcast as two albums that sort of exemplify that sound to me.

H-Tail fucked around with this message at 00:55 on Nov 15, 2012

cyberia
Jun 24, 2011

Do not call me that!
Snuffles was my slave name.
You shall now call me Snowball; because my fur is pretty and white.

Eight Is Legend posted:

Check out the newest record from Escape the Fate, I think that was pretty much the sound they were going for.

Thanks! I had a listen and really like their stuff. Will pick up the album as soon as I can.

Kaubocks
Apr 13, 2011

I'm fairly into chiptunes but they can get a bit bland when it's nothing but bleeps and bloops. I like it when artists incorporate more than just gameboy noises into songs-- namely vocals and other instruments. I'm really digging bands like The Depreciation Guild, The J. Arthur Keenes Band, and I Fight Dragons. Is there any other bands like this I should know about?

Paperhouse
Dec 31, 2008

I think
your hair
looks much
better
pushed
over to
one side

Kaubocks posted:

I'm fairly into chiptunes but they can get a bit bland when it's nothing but bleeps and bloops. I like it when artists incorporate more than just gameboy noises into songs-- namely vocals and other instruments. I'm really digging bands like The Depreciation Guild, The J. Arthur Keenes Band, and I Fight Dragons. Is there any other bands like this I should know about?

Not sure if it's quite what you're after but a couple of chiptuney bands I really like are You Love Her Coz She's Dead and YMCK. The former are sort of Crystal Castles-y and YMCK are cutesy jpop girls who drank too much fizzy pop singing over gameboys. I like them, they're not everybody's thing though

nigga crab pollock
Mar 26, 2010

by Lowtax
While we're talking about chiptunes, I've always loved video game music but i pretty much intensely dislike chiptunes. Most of the time it just seems that the artist uses the chiptunes as a lovely gimmick for mediocre music. Like they sat down and thought they were going to make something that is chiptunes and they shoehorn themselves into the genre instead of making something original that doesn't sound like ill fitting noises awkwardly slapped on top of overused chiptune sounds.

The only chiptunes i've really liked is some stuff by big giant circles and it's still really hit or miss. I love the first half of Flicker but the second half it turns into an anticlimactic and badly done drum thing. You Can Have Mine is pretty good though. They don't make me think that it's a cheap cargo-culting of NES music like most chiptunes does.

Pretty much, is there any chiptunes that isn't a gimmick?

MC Fruit Stripe
Nov 26, 2002

around and around we go
Does anyone have suggestions for dense/layered ambient? The kind of stuff where there's just a million layers if you care to look for it, but still retains the beatless, background-if-you-want, glacial qualities of ambient?

I unironically love I am sitting in a room, and Brian Eno's ambient works, and the Aphex Twin ambient albums (although I favor the 2nd to the 1st, putting me in the minority). So I'd like something in that wheelhouse, but just a little busier, while still being firmly ambient (ie - not like, The Orb's first album or Person Pitch or something)

Suspicious Dish
Sep 24, 2011

2020 is the year of linux on the desktop, bro
Fun Shoe
Tycho's Dive is one of my favorite albums because of that.

nigga crab pollock
Mar 26, 2010

by Lowtax

MC Fruit Stripe posted:

Does anyone have suggestions for dense/layered ambient? The kind of stuff where there's just a million layers if you care to look for it, but still retains the beatless, background-if-you-want, glacial qualities of ambient?

I unironically love I am sitting in a room, and Brian Eno's ambient works, and the Aphex Twin ambient albums (although I favor the 2nd to the 1st, putting me in the minority). So I'd like something in that wheelhouse, but just a little busier, while still being firmly ambient (ie - not like, The Orb's first album or Person Pitch or something)

I read dense, layered ambient and immediately thought of gas. I've never really gotten into ambient but pop is a loving incredible album

MC Fruit Stripe
Nov 26, 2002

around and around we go

Suspicious Dish posted:

Tycho's Dive is one of my favorite albums because of that.
This I hadn't heard of, but that does seem perfect from what a google tells me, so that's exactly what I need, yes, more of that!

Mister Snips posted:

I read dense, layered ambient and immediately thought of gas. I've never really gotten into ambient but pop is a loving incredible album
And yes yes yes, Gas is a great example of what I'm looking for. Very familiar with Pop, and I have casually listened to the self-titled and Zauterberg (if I'm getting that title wrong, I apologize) as background music. More like that would be great.

Suspicious Dish
Sep 24, 2011

2020 is the year of linux on the desktop, bro
Fun Shoe

MC Fruit Stripe posted:

This I hadn't heard of, but that does seem perfect from what a google tells me, so that's exactly what I need, yes, more of that!

OK, then.

Tycho - Elegy
Royksopp - Senior Living
Bonobo - Scuba (Amon Tobin Remix)
Zero 7 - Give It Away
Four Tet - Slow Jam
Ulrich Schauss - As If You've Never Been Away

No idea if these are "ambient" or "layered" enough; feel free to poke around those artists, or play with Grooveshark Radio.

Suspicious Dish fucked around with this message at 09:10 on Nov 19, 2012

bog savant
Mar 15, 2008

unending immaturity
What's some more good non-cheesy-but-still-epic drone metal like Jesu, Nadja, Boris' 'Farewell' etc etc etc?

Organic Robot
Dec 26, 2007

Fig 1.
"Blueboy sees a moth."
What are some bands that sound like either Matthew Dear or Andy Stott?

Sex Robot
Jan 11, 2011

Nothing amazing happens here.
Everything is ordinary.

I'm trying to throw together a playlist of alternative rap. Instead of giving you a long list of what I'm trying to avoid, let me show you the songs that have made it to the list so far so you get an idea.

Akira the Don - Hypocrite
Mister B - Hermitage Shanks
Reggie Watts - gently caress poo poo Stack
Professor Elemental - Fighting Trousers
Scroobius Pip - Letter from God to Man
Flobots - Handlebars

There seems to be a constant amongst my choices so far but wading through the torrent of profanity and poo poo to find the gems is getting tough. Anyone point out some diamonds in the rough?

whooping crane
Feb 12, 2012

Volvagia posted:

What's some more good non-cheesy-but-still-epic drone metal like Jesu, Nadja, Boris' 'Farewell' etc etc etc?

Sleep - Dopesmoker
Earth - Earth 2

Sleep isn't as "droney" (i.e. it's slightly more traditional metal) as Earth or Boris, but it's drat heavy, and you get lost in the riffs within a minute or two. If you like Dopesmoker, try out Electric Wizard's Dopethrone, though it's even more on the traditional side than Dopesmoker. And my personal favorite from Boris is Feedbacker, so try that if you haven't. And if you like Boris, it's only a small step to Sunn O))).

whooping crane
Feb 12, 2012

MC Fruit Stripe posted:

My favorite ambient album is Oval's 94 Diskont. Here's the beautiful first track (which is the centerpiece of the album): https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vvW6qiTkZdw

Feedbacker
Nov 20, 2004

whooping crane posted:

Sleep - Dopesmoker
Earth - Earth 2

Sleep isn't as "droney" (i.e. it's slightly more traditional metal) as Earth or Boris, but it's drat heavy, and you get lost in the riffs within a minute or two. If you like Dopesmoker, try out Electric Wizard's Dopethrone, though it's even more on the traditional side than Dopesmoker. And my personal favorite from Boris is Feedbacker, so try that if you haven't. And if you like Boris, it's only a small step to Sunn O))).

And if you like Dopesmoker, check out Om as well.

MrData
Jun 28, 2008
Been listening to these albums/bands lately:

Circus Maximus - Isolate
Pagan's Mind
Seventh Wonder

Any recommendations like this? I especially like the vocals on Isolate.

slowdave
Jun 18, 2008

Organic Robot posted:

or Andy Stott?

Check out Rivet and Claro Intelecto.

Lethemonster
Aug 5, 2009

I was hiding under your bench because I don't want to work out
I apologise as I've just looked at the type of music I've written below and realised that although in my head they all occupy the same kindof area to most other people it's probably going to look random and unhelpful.

I am looking for some dramatic, classical type music in the vein of soundtracks to films and games. My long term favourites have included;

Nobuo Uematsu's work (One Winger Angel, Jenova, Liberi Fatali, Dancing Mad)
Hans Zimmer (Dream is Collapsing, Mombasa, Mollosus)
Chemical Brothers (Come with US album, Hanna OST - Container Park)
Bear McCreary (Battlestar Galactica - Prelude to War, Kara Remembers)
Shunsuke Kida (Demon's Souls)
Philip Glass (Pruit Igeo, Metamorphosis)
Trent Reznor (Girl with the Dragon Tattoo)
Rob D (Clubbed to Death, Furious Angels)
X-Ray Dog, Audiomachine, various 'trailer music' companies.
Craig Armstrong (Ball)
John Murphy (28 days later theme)
Clint Mansell (Moon OST)
Celldweller (Under my feet, even though the opening line is so whiney)
And more traditional classics such as In the Halls of the Mountain King, O Fortuna.

I like music that is evocative. Music that helps fire off your imagination; fighting between good guys and bad guys, building tension, pulls forward emotions in you that you wouldn't feel if you were just sat there picking your nose. I always have music on when I'm writing and developing characters, scenes, settings.

I've been trying to find new stuff for a while but I seem to just end up going in circles in the collection I already have.

I would be very grateful for any suggestions anyone can offer.

Lethemonster fucked around with this message at 00:23 on Nov 21, 2012

Smarmy Coworker
May 10, 2008

by XyloJW

Volvagia posted:

Electric Wizard was mentioned and is pretty great.
Worth looking into: The Cosmic Dead, Zoroaster

Friends Are Evil
Oct 25, 2010

cats cats cats

Recently, I've been listening to a lot of Ides of Gemini and Black Math Horseman. This kind of approach to doom metal is really intriguing andn I was wondering if anyone knows of anything in this kind of vein.

slowdave
Jun 18, 2008

Volvagia posted:

The Goslings if you can handle 'em

funny way to spell
Nov 4, 2012
Anybody want to recommend something similar Have A Nice Life or A Silver Mt. Zion?

I like that dark post-rock'ish vibe they both have with vocals that are actually understandable and melodic. Music similar to Kid A / Amnesiac-era Radiohead would be cool as well. Thanks.

funny way to spell
Nov 4, 2012

Lethemonster posted:

I am looking for some dramatic, classical type music in the vein of soundtracks to films and games.

I think you'd like Angelo Badalamenti or Bernard Herrmann.

Listen to any soundtrack Badalamenti has done for Lynch, they're all top-notch. Herrmann did the soundtracks to both "Twisted Nerve" and "Taxi Driver"

Lethemonster posted:

Music that helps fire off your imagination; fighting between good guys and bad guys, building tension, pulls forward emotions
Usually any classical piece based on a fairy tale or an opera fits this category, check out Mother Goose by Ravel or Romeo and Juliet by Prokofiev.

Babies Getting Rabies
Apr 21, 2007

Sugartime Jones

Friends Are Evil posted:

Recently, I've been listening to a lot of Ides of Gemini and Black Math Horseman. This kind of approach to doom metal is really intriguing andn I was wondering if anyone knows of anything in this kind of vein.

If you don't know them already, Kylesa would be a good bet. Especially their last two albums, Static Tensions and Spiral Shadows. Kylesa has female singing/shouting as well (along with alternating male singing/shouting) and also features those more psychedelic elements I heard in the songs you linked.
For example:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sq9CglF086o (nice Sabbath shout out in the chorus, too)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WD0Ox2KqSHk
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7WLN2plIOdc (no female vocals, but man, that guitar line)

If you are also more interested in more traditional doom metal (since you mentioned the genre), the new album by Serpentine Path is drat heavy.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G0ZOa5i6t2U
Also, maybe try Omega Massif, they play instrumental doom: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pwWYfL6Pw6s

alansmithee
Jan 25, 2007

Goodness no, now that wouldn't do at all!

Sex Robot posted:

I'm trying to throw together a playlist of alternative rap. Instead of giving you a long list of what I'm trying to avoid, let me show you the songs that have made it to the list so far so you get an idea.

Akira the Don - Hypocrite
Mister B - Hermitage Shanks
Reggie Watts - gently caress poo poo Stack
Professor Elemental - Fighting Trousers
Scroobius Pip - Letter from God to Man
Flobots - Handlebars

There seems to be a constant amongst my choices so far but wading through the torrent of profanity and poo poo to find the gems is getting tough. Anyone point out some diamonds in the rough?

Your list of "rap" is so bad that I legitimately think you are either a KKK member or someone who otherwise hates black people so much it defines your existence. Like, really, that is the worst poo poo ever and you seem to think it's good? There are people who are deaf and would love the ability to hear, and you're just wasting that gift on raw garbage.

Free Weedlord
Dec 27, 2006

Not quite as powerful as timelord
Just wanna thank all the lovely people making suggestions in here, this thread has directed me towards a bunch of great stuff!

I'm looking to get into some piano stuff, now I'm doing the rounds going through Bach and Chopin and so on, but actually the reason I got interested in it in the first place was this: Deaf Center's White Lake. There's something really interesting about that song, and I was wondering if anybody could 'shortcut' me towards some stuff that is similar to this?

Go hog wild on the suggestions even if it's not completely similar and thanks in advance!

Sex Robot posted:

Sarcastic rap songs

May I suggest the Rhymenoceros?

Edit: Might not be clear but if you actually want to hear their other stuff you need to look for Flight of the Conchords since that name is just a gimmick through one episode for that song.

Another edit: Also maybe Epic Rap Battles of History

Free Weedlord fucked around with this message at 12:32 on Nov 22, 2012

The Doo Do Chasers
Dec 27, 2008

:fella:Life is overwhelming:fella:

This is really good! I really like the slowed down black metal riffs and goth girl vocals.

They sort of remind me of a spacier Joyless or LIK, though you ight have already checked those bands out

abelwingnut
Dec 23, 2002

I'm completely obsessed with the Misfits right now. Where do I go from here?

Like I feel like I could just listen to Static Age for the rest of my life and die happy. It's so loving good.

slowdave
Jun 18, 2008

Friends Are Evil posted:

True Widow?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DQN5ZDtSeR4

Sex Robot
Jan 11, 2011

Nothing amazing happens here.
Everything is ordinary.

alansmithee posted:

Your list of "rap" is so bad that I legitimately think you are either a KKK member or someone who otherwise hates black people so much it defines your existence. Like, really, that is the worst poo poo ever and you seem to think it's good? There are people who are deaf and would love the ability to hear, and you're just wasting that gift on raw garbage.

Whoa, where did race come from?

Thankyou for your opinion, It has been summarily filed under "I don't give a gently caress".

I take it that means you have no suggestions.

Free Weedlord posted:

May I suggest the Rhymenoceros?

Edit: Might not be clear but if you actually want to hear their other stuff you need to look for Flight of the Conchords since that name is just a gimmick through one episode for that song.

Another edit: Also maybe Epic Rap Battles of History

I legitimately like this stuff, I like my rap slower and weird, I like a little more complexity in the backing track. Sure I'm probably the rap equivalent of a twilight fan but whatever. Recommendation thread.

Sex Robot fucked around with this message at 23:13 on Nov 22, 2012

Radio Spiricom
Aug 17, 2009

Abel Wingnut posted:

I'm completely obsessed with the Misfits right now. Where do I go from here?

Like I feel like I could just listen to Static Age for the rest of my life and die happy. It's so loving good.

Obviously the first few Samhain and Danzig records, but for things that don't involve Glenn Danzig: the first TSOL record is great, the first White Zombie record is lyrically similar (though musically it's closer to The Birthday Party or Pussy Galore than Misfits), basically all the AFI records through The Art of Drowning, The Cramps for a Garage rock take on the same aesthetic, The Nerve Agents, Ink & Dagger...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Free Weedlord
Dec 27, 2006

Not quite as powerful as timelord

Sex Robot posted:

I legitimately like this stuff, I like my rap slower and weird, I like a little more complexity in the backing track. Sure I'm probably the rap equivalent of a twilight fan but whatever. Recommendation thread.

I'm not a rap fan myself, but I also like the music you linked more than most rap songs I hear. Sure it's white as heck, but I'd feel more awkward pretending I have "Swag".

This isn't really that similar but there's only one rap album I really like, which is Aesop Rock's 'Skelethon', and I think it goes under the category of 'slower and weird'.

Here's a couple songs from the album:
Fryerstarter
Grace