Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Are you getting the Wii U?
This poll is closed.
Yes 9031 65.25%
No 1191 8.60%
Maybe 808 5.84%
I'm an idiot 460 3.32%
Waluigi 1603 11.58%
Waa 748 5.40%
Total: 13841 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

• Locked thread
Gutcruncher
Apr 16, 2005

Go home and be a family man!

Palmtree Panic posted:

Is the Batman Arkham City port any good or is it shoddy? I never played any of the Arkham games so I figured I might as well start now.

It was mentioned earlier in the thread that it was a bad port. Also in case anyone else missed it, Epic Mickey 2 is a terrible port.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bombadilillo
Feb 28, 2009

The dock really fucks a case or nerfing it.

Any goon hands on with Arkham? Because I saw some reviews that said it was a bad port and other reviews that said it was the "definative version of the game".

Fergus Mac Roich
Nov 5, 2008

Soiled Meat

Bombadilillo posted:

Any goon hands on with Arkham? Because I saw some reviews that said it was a bad port and other reviews that said it was the "definative version of the game".

The framerate looked absolutely gnarly on the Giant Bomb stream.

Shadowgate
May 6, 2007

Soiled Meat
Is anyone else having issues where the Wii U will lock up and emit a constant tone? It's happened three times now playing Nintendo Land games and I don't know if I have a hardware issue or if the game is just crashing?

I can't find any references to it online.

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

My favourite little monsters

Shadowgate posted:

Is anyone else having issues where the Wii U will lock up and emit a constant tone? It's happened three times now playing Nintendo Land games and I don't know if I have a hardware issue or if the game is just crashing?

I can't find any references to it online.

That happened to my friend once when he rebooted after applying the patch, but he hasn't had any problems after restarting the system (via unplugging the power cable - wouldn't turn off any other way)

Bombadilillo
Feb 28, 2009

This is concerning, theres a really high percentage of goons having problems with their consoles.

Mine worked fine yesterday, connected to my router easily, went online, powered off and on multiple times, bought games, no hitches so far.

:ohdear: Im scared I'm in for a huge failure because its working so well right now.

Shadowgate
May 6, 2007

Soiled Meat
Ahh so I did find a couple threads with this problem:

http://techforums.nintendo.com/message/78453#78453
http://techforums.nintendo.com/message/78440#78440

I guess it's a software issue then?

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

My favourite little monsters

Bombadilillo posted:

This is concerning, there's a really high percentage of goons having problems with their consoles.

Not really, you just hear about the ones with problems more than the ones without. So far it looks the same as with any other console launch.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Bombadilillo posted:

This is concerning, theres a really high percentage of goons having problems with their consoles.

Mine worked fine yesterday, connected to my router easily, went online, powered off and on multiple times, bought games, no hitches so far.

:ohdear: Im scared I'm in for a huge failure because its working so well right now.

One thing to remember:

You don't hear people going onto forums and going "Yeah, my system is working fine" as regularly as you hear people going "Something is wrong." This is true of every single electronic launch since the internet was created. The people who are going to be posting are going to be posting about problems they had, not when everything is working great, aside from the occasional "Yeah, this is working fine and I like it because(X)" sort of reviews.

This happens with every system launch. Just take a deep breath and relax. If your system is working fine it is likely to continue to work fine.

Stealthed Zombie
Dec 21, 2007

And Introducing:
Dean "Titty Master" Ambrose

ImpAtom posted:

One thing to remember:

You don't hear people going onto forums and going "Yeah, my system is working fine" as regularly as you hear people going "Something is wrong." This is true of every single electronic launch since the internet was created. The people who are going to be posting are going to be posting about problems they had, not when everything is working great, aside from the occasional "Yeah, this is working fine and I like it because(X)" sort of reviews.

This happens with every system launch. Just take a deep breath and relax. If your system is working fine it is likely to continue to work fine.

This is something I have to constantly keep in mind every time I hear people talking about issues. The Internet creates a situation where the ratio of people without problems is overshadowed by those who do because those who don't, as you said, don't go around making posts like "Update: Everything still cool"

Not to say there couldn't be a wider spread issue that suddenly appears this week as it goes on, but it's just something to keep my sanity in check haha.

Ancillary Drone
Nov 30, 2004

fast hackem
http://techforums.nintendo.com/message/78446#78446

"My Gamepad seems to be stuck in debug mode"

Neat pics!

ONE YEAR LATER
Apr 13, 2004

Fry old buddy, it's me, Bender!
Oven Wrangler

Stealthed Zombie posted:

So when I get home I'll be able to post dumb things like: "I beat this level without getting hit guys!"?

Because aside from not seeing anyone else's poo poo, I couldn't post from within games either.

I was able to go from the Zelda minigame right to making a post about it in Miiverse and then right back into the game about 45 minutes ago, so you should be ok when you get home.

Revol
Aug 1, 2003

EHCIARF EMERC...
EHCIARF EMERC...

Underwhelmed posted:

"Cheap" probably means "light" which to many people means "flimsy" but honestly the controller is the best thing about the console. It feels good in the hands, all of the buttons and are placed in such a way that they are easy to hit, and the screen is at least as responsive as 3DS maybe more.

That's good to hear. And really, the thing just looks heavy as hell, so to hear otherwise is cool.

Dr. Glasscock
Apr 15, 2004

HOO-DAH!!! Fatal Wiimote blow to the face, 20 points!

quiggy posted:

So what's the goon consensus on ZombiU? poo poo, good launch title, or actually good game? I've got Mario Bros U and NintendoLand and want something a little more... substantial.

Reviews seem all over the map. I have the game and absolutely love it. Most of my Wii U time has gone into it. It's like a combination of Resident Evil and Dark Souls mashed into an FPS. It has a slow, deliberate pace god GODDAMN is it loving tense. The GamePad functionality is awesome and makes a great case for the Wii U. It's not the "Red Steel" of the Wii U, I feel like it is legitimately a pretty good game. It's no without it's issues, but drat is it cool.

I also can't stress the Dark Souls inspiration enough, it really does successfully pull a number of things from that game. The multiplayer sounds like it's pretty awesome as well.

Supercar Gautier
Jun 10, 2006

TIP: The console really flips out more than it ought to if you disconnect your external hard drive while the power is on, so if you're doing something that might jiggle the USB cable, do it with the system off.

Bombadilillo
Feb 28, 2009

Stealthed Zombie posted:

This is something I have to constantly keep in mind every time I hear people talking about issues. The Internet creates a situation where the ratio of people without problems is overshadowed by those who do because those who don't, as you said, don't go around making posts like "Update: Everything still cool"

Not to say there couldn't be a wider spread issue that suddenly appears this week as it goes on, but it's just something to keep my sanity in check haha.

Your right, thats true, like when I scope resturaunts on yelp, theres a certain precentage of 1 stars for bad service complaints that I ignore.

Do launch consoles really fail more then the next group manufactured or is that just a myth perpetuated by this?

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

I'm sure launch units do fail more often but it's probably not a giant disparity. The Xbox 360 might have been an unusual circumstance because it was a fundamental overheating problem.

shoplifter
May 23, 2001

bored before I even began

Bombadilillo posted:

Do launch consoles really fail more then the next group manufactured or is that just a myth perpetuated by this?

Anectodal, but pretty much every console I've owned since 1989 with the Genesis was a release date model. A grand total of one of them failed (OG Xbox) and that was actually dead out of the box.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Bombadilillo posted:

Your right, thats true, like when I scope resturaunts on yelp, theres a certain precentage of 1 stars for bad service complaints that I ignore.

Launch hardware in general is more likely to fail, but not in any significant way unless there's something VERY wrong. It's just the fact that it is new and kinks haven't yet been worked out in the process.

I've had launch consoles since the SNES days and never had one fail on me. The worst was my Wii which got ridiculously hot.

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

Can I make a Mario u megathread? Does it deserve one? I wanna talk with goons about speedrunning level sin the challenge mode and it feels kinda strange with all the console problems going on.

(Also 50.87 in Acorn Plains speed run. I wonder if it's even possible to go faster)

Stealthed Zombie
Dec 21, 2007

And Introducing:
Dean "Titty Master" Ambrose

ThisIsACoolGuy posted:

Can I make a Mario u megathread? Does it deserve one? I wanna talk with goons about speedrunning level sin the challenge mode and it feels kinda strange with all the console problems going on.

(Also 50.87 in Acorn Plains speed run. I wonder if it's even possible to go faster)

I've gotta say, before you make that thread incase it doesn't happen, I don't like how some of the challenges have a hard limit. What if I want to try and survive for more than 50 seconds of fireballs??

Rirse
May 7, 2006

by R. Guyovich
Speaking of new threads, can someone make a new Nintendo Download thread (maybe a warning about accounts tied to one system still) since the old one got closed with no warning.

Supercar Gautier
Jun 10, 2006

ImpAtom posted:

Launch hardware in general is more likely to fail, but not in any significant way unless there's something VERY wrong. It's just the fact that it is new and kinks haven't yet been worked out in the process.

I've had launch consoles since the SNES days and never had one fail on me. The worst was my Wii which got ridiculously hot.

Another thing to consider at launch is that firmware bugs can pop up without there being anything fundamentally wrong with the hardware unit. We'll have to wait and see how diligent Nintendo is about patching the OS (if I recall correctly, there were plenty of updates in the Wii's early days, and it didn't have nearly as good a built-in infrastructure for patching as the Wii U does).

Underwhelmed
Mar 7, 2004

Nap Ghost

Supercar Gautier posted:

Another thing to consider at launch is that firmware bugs can pop up without there being anything fundamentally wrong with the hardware unit. We'll have to wait and see how diligent Nintendo is about patching the OS (if I recall correctly, there were plenty of updates in the Wii's early days, and it didn't have nearly as good a built-in infrastructure for patching as the Wii U does).

Seeing that there are already software updates for 3 of the 4 games I have, fills me with both hope and trepidation. There is such a fine line between "fix things that need fixing" and "poo poo out half finished titles that we may or may not patch later".

ONE YEAR LATER
Apr 13, 2004

Fry old buddy, it's me, Bender!
Oven Wrangler

Underwhelmed posted:

Seeing that there are already software updates for 3 of the 4 games I have, fills me with both hope and trepidation. There is such a fine line between "fix things that need fixing" and "poo poo out half finished titles that we may or may not patch later".

By removing the costs of patching games Nintendo is encouraging people to support their titles post launch. Look at the whole to-do with Fez and not patching it because of the costs.

flyboi
Oct 13, 2005

agg stop posting
College Slice

ImpAtom posted:

One thing to remember:

The Microsoft Surface I purchased at launch ad a dead pixel and I had to wait 2 weeks to get my fixed one. ALL SURFACES ARE BROKEN PILES OF TRASH OK? I KNOW THIS FIRST HAND!

Boten Anna
Feb 22, 2010

Boten Anna posted:

Also I like how it's been completely glossed over that for the first time in the history of console gaming, there are multigigabyte AAA titles up for download and the process of purchasing and downloading them is smooth and not fraught with peril. It's pretty remarkable that we got to this point.

Left out something important here: it's amazing that this is there and working smoothly on Day 1 in particular.

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

ChocNitty posted:

For those that missed out on the launch, or are dealing with a tight budget ,I introduce the JDXS5100:

I can't wait until Ashens reviews this.

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

Never made a thread before, so hope it's alright

Mario U's very own thread

extremebuff
Jun 20, 2010

^^^^^^ That is uncanny.

Why aren't there individual threads for the games up already? Pretty unusual.

extremebuff fucked around with this message at 20:01 on Nov 19, 2012

Static Rook
Dec 1, 2000

by Lowtax

ThisIsACoolGuy posted:

I'd be down for a Mario thread. If the new game by itself wouldn't be enough, maybe a New Super Mario Bros Megathread or something. I think it'd be fine either way. We could probably use a Zombi U thread, too. If no one else is planning on it, I may give it a shot this evening (if I'm not too busy playing it).

EDIT good stuff!

EDIT EDIT

Also, stuff like Sonic Racing, AC3, and Black Ops 2 already have threads. And the remainder like Tank!Tank!Tank! or Funky Barn don't really need them. (Did anyone dare to try Funky Barn?)

Static Rook fucked around with this message at 20:03 on Nov 19, 2012

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

Bobnumerotres posted:

For which games? ZombiU and NSMBU seem like the only worthy ones. NintendoLand could have a thread but it would mostly just be people saying "I liked Pikmin" or "I didn't like Yoshi" and not much else.

Katana Gomai
Jan 14, 2007

"Thus," concluded Miyamoto, "you must give up everything you have to be my disciple."

Bobnumerotres posted:

Because people are deathly afraid of making new threads and instead ask why there aren't any threads.

extremebuff
Jun 20, 2010

Katana Gomai posted:

Because people are deathly afraid of making new threads and instead ask why there aren't any threads.

Well, I would be the last person to make a Mario U thread since I think it's a 20 dollar game at best. I don't know much about Zombi U, and everything else is a port or unworthy of a thread.

...Nano assault neo thread?

quote:

and it feels kinda strange with all the console problems going on.
What problems?

katkillad2
Aug 30, 2004

Awake and unreal, off to nowhere
I'd rather have individual game threads honestly, anything to get away from complaints about the same 2 or 3 things every page.

I'm super surprised how awesome Nintendoland is. I spent like 3 hours playing metroid blast and pikmin is awesome as well...and this is only the single player stuff.

Bobnumerotres posted:

Well, I would be the last person to make a Mario U thread since I think it's a 20 dollar game at best. I don't know much about Zombi U, and everything else is a port or unworthy of a thread.

I thought you gave up on the Wii U until Monster Hunter? You don't have to read this thread you know.

24-7 Urkel Cosplay
Feb 12, 2003

So VC games are only accessible through the Wii channel, correct? I really hope we get some sort of VC U.

Supercar Gautier
Jun 10, 2006

Boten Anna posted:

Left out something important here: it's amazing that this is there and working smoothly on Day 1 in particular.

Seriously, this is a console where on launch day you can download a brand new Mario game with high-quality graphics, and play it IN BED on a 6-inch screen. While playing, you can pause to check on your Assassin's Creed download, and when it finishes you can also play that IN BED.

NINTENDO IN BED.

Chunk posted:

So VC games are only accessible through the Wii channel, correct? I really hope we get some sort of VC U.

Iwata has said there are plans for a Wii U Virtual Console. What those plans are is still yet to be revealed. Schedule? Gamecube games? Free updates for VC games you already own, to play them from the Gamepad? Paid updates? Nobody knows.

quiggy
Aug 7, 2010

[in Russian] Oof.

katkillad2 posted:

I'd rather have individual game threads honestly, anything to get away from complaints about the same 2 or 3 things every page.

I'm super surprised how awesome Nintendoland is. I spent like 3 hours playing metroid blast and pikmin is awesome as well...and this is only the single player stuff.

We were playing five-player Luigi's Mansion. It is unbelievably fun. Mario Chase is also really really good as a party game.

Man-Thing
Apr 29, 2011

Whatever knows fear
BURNS at the touch

Supercar Gautier posted:

NINTENDO IN BED.
Truly, we have reached the promised land.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

katkillad2 posted:

Even Mario Chase was kind of fun even though it was the most basic game in the whole package.

I'm still going through those games because I've been too hooked on Pikmin. Pikmin is the best game, easily.

• Locked thread