Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Are you getting the Wii U?
This poll is closed.
Yes 9031 65.25%
No 1191 8.60%
Maybe 808 5.84%
I'm an idiot 460 3.32%
Waluigi 1603 11.58%
Waa 748 5.40%
Total: 13841 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

• Locked thread
Chronojam
Feb 20, 2006

This is me on vacation in Amsterdam :)
Never be afraid of being yourself!

Gendo posted:

People can be frustrated that Nintendo made questionable decisions on a chunk of hardware that costs as much as the WiiU does. Stop tying your identity into a toy manufacturer.

People are literally making things up or acting surprised about known shortcomings not on the first E3 showing, not on the second E3 showing, but actually post-release. It's a little absurd to get angry or act betrayed because the controller has physical affordances for a battery larger than the one it shipped with, but that's where things have gone.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bar Mitzvah
Feb 24, 2009

Paper Jam Dipper posted:

Is anyone really denying that Nintendo released a late seventh generation console?

The problem lies in what the eighth generation is supposed to look like and if the top end PC games have any indication it won't be a major leap. It won't even be an X-Box to 360 leap.

It is more powerful than a 360 or PS3 but not by much. The problem comes in with people trying to decide how much more powerful it is based on rush ports and first year games.

From where the industry seems to be going, Nintendo has released a console with current gen at current gen pricing while the next Sony and Microsoft consoles will have no choice but to increase the price of their consoles and the individual games in order for any developer to make a profit, thus making gamers decide whether they want to spend double on their gaming input every year just to have the top console tech.

EDIT: I'm going to keep this here but yeah end of discussion

I disagree about the visual difference between current and next gen. Battlefield 3 on PC at ultra settings is a HUGE leap over current gen and that game is a year old. Visually, it's practically a different game.

toxicsunset
Sep 19, 2005

BUY MORE CRABS

Chronojam posted:

People are literally making things up or acting surprised about known shortcomings not on the first E3 showing, not on the second E3 showing, but actually post-release. It's a little absurd to get angry or act betrayed because the controller has physical affordances for a battery larger than the one it shipped with, but that's where things have gone.

The hardware specifics were kept deliberately secret by Nintendo so it wasn't previously known or even possible to have known they'd use cheap RAM. It's not the fact alone that a physically larger battery could have fit, it's the fact they went with a 1500mAh battery when even 2200mAh battery couldn't have raised the cost of the drat thing by a significant amount

TaurusOxford
Feb 10, 2009

Dad of the Year 2021

Boten Anna posted:

YOU CAN RIDE YOSHI FOR FUCKS SAKE ITS BEEN HOW LONG LIKE 20 YEARS gently caress

You could ride Yoshi in the Wii game...

Gendo
Feb 25, 2001

His place shall never be with those cold and timid souls who know neither victory nor defeat.

Chronojam posted:

People are literally making things up
Like this is the first time you can buy premiere titles with a click?

Stop being silly, thread. Enjoy your new toy regardless of whoever may be disappointed with it.

netBuff
Nov 7, 2011

by Fluffdaddy

Boten Anna posted:

Yeah I'm referring more to poo poo posts like this: http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?noseen=0&threadid=3507212&perpage=40&pagenumber=132#post409743701

As I said I'm interested in what the Wii U can and can't do, but NINTENDO IS loving US AGAIN combined with "future unannounced console from competitor is going to be perfect" is obnoxious bullshit.

You are being absolutely ridiculous. I don't see how my post was a "shitpost" or in the tone of "NINTENDO IS loving US AGAIN", or even "future unannounced console from competitor is going to be perfect".

I brought up quite a few reasonable grievances with the system that haven't been highlighted all that much so far (everyone knows about the slowness, bugs and lack of a real account system). Am I only allowed to write positive things about obviously substandard Nintendo hardware? Can I not be miffed about the fact that the Wii U lacks support for quite a few audio/video features absolutely standard on practically every other device (console or media)?

You are also not defending the Wii U in any way in claiming next generation consoles aren't going to be "that big a leap". That doesn't matter to this launch, and that doesn't correct the (user-facing, I'm not talking about available power) issues present in the hardware.

Chance
Apr 28, 2002

toxicsunset posted:

How discussion of the Wii-U hardware in the Wii-U thread is a "derail" is beyond me.

I think the derail is people frothing at the mouth over what is a very typical console launch (not just nintendo specific). System comes out, there is a good first party game, some ok but maybe not great third party games. System features are not fully polished, ports are iffy, and after the initial omg something new, people loop back to "why did I spend this money, what has this got over my other options".

Of course this is a nintendo console so also throw in the doomsayers, nintendo is dying like pc gaming is :V, the people who think that any nintendo console is meant to actually be directly comparable to competitors systems (even though nintendo has been pretty drat clear they do this crazy poo poo to avoid exactly that), and comparing to future consoles we know nothing about except fanboy dreams.

It's a new nintendo system, it's likely you know everything you need to know from that statement alone whether you should get this or not. Which of course doesn't mean poo poo about getting other systems, everyone here is already reading this presumably on pc/mac, so you've already got one alternate platform, may as well get as many as you feel sates your game lust.

Seaniqua
Mar 12, 2004

"We'll see how the first year goes. But people better get us now, because we're going to keep getting better and better."

Gendo posted:

Enjoy your new toy regardless of whoever may be disappointed with it.

Its web browser is perfect for showing me that FireJerryKill.com hasn't been updated in a month:smith:

extremebuff
Jun 20, 2010

Bar Mitzvah posted:

I disagree about the visual difference between current and next gen. Battlefield 3 on PC at ultra settings is a HUGE leap over current gen and that game is a year old. Visually, it's practically a different game.

Our eyes are pretty different then. It looks a hell of a lot prettier, for sure, but it's mostly in small details, and needing double(or more) the hardware for tiny increments in visual fidelity is pretty bad.

Not that it's BF3's fault, that's just the reality. The major things like HDR, colors, texture resolution, etc. have all hit their caps/massive diminishing returns and all that's left are tiny details like better motion blur, ambient occlusion, physics, etc. which all tend to be very taxing on machines for what amount to be tiny details most people don't notice.

extremebuff fucked around with this message at 22:50 on Nov 19, 2012

Boten Anna
Feb 22, 2010

Gendo posted:

Like this is the first time you can buy premiere titles with a click?

Stop being silly, thread. Enjoy your new toy regardless of whoever may be disappointed with it.

Yeah I left out a phrase in my original post that mangled my intent and I corrected later, excuuuuuuuuse me princess. No system has had full retail games for download at launch, and no purchase-and-download system (including Nintendo's previous ones) hasn't been something of a clusterfuck at and around launch. That Nintendo managed to launch a store with full retail titles and not have it crash with launch traffic is impressive and a worthy observation.

Monster w21 Faces
May 11, 2006

"What the fuck is that?"
"What the fuck is this?!"
I have a NintendoLand Retro theme ringtone for anyone with an iPhone if they want it.

Anyone know where I can host it?

netBuff
Nov 7, 2011

by Fluffdaddy

Bobnumerotres posted:

Our eyes are pretty different then. It looks a hell of a lot prettier, for sure, but it's mostly in small details, and needing double the hardware for tiny increments in visual fidelity is pretty bad.

Current generation consoles suffer from quite a few obvious visual flaws: Extreme pop-in, low-res textures, tearing, dithering, heavy framerate drops: Better graphics aren't everything, the next generation of consoles will also potentially allow for more reliable performance.

Boten Anna posted:

Yeah I left out a phrase in my original post that mangled my intent and I corrected later, excuuuuuuuuse me princess. No system has had full retail games for download at launch, and no purchase-and-download system (including Nintendo's previous ones) hasn't been something of a clusterfuck at and around launch. That Nintendo managed to launch a store with full retail titles and not have it crash with launch traffic is impressive and a worthy observation.

Well, update servers were extremely slow yesterday and today. And I don't think at this point there's much of an argument for buying digitally on the Wii U, with the lack of transferable accounts.

Digital downloads are also nothing new or impressive, I bought Mass Effect 3 day one on PSN.

The Glumslinger
Sep 24, 2008

Coach Nagy, you want me to throw to WHAT side of the field?

Hair Elf

Bobnumerotres posted:

Our eyes are pretty different then. It looks a hell of a lot prettier, for sure, but it's mostly in small details, and needing double the hardware for tiny increments in visual fidelity is pretty bad.

Not that it's BF3's fault, that's just the reality. The major things like HDR, colors, texture resolution, etc. have all hit their caps/massive diminishing returns and all that's left are tiny details like better motion blur, ambient occlusion, physics, etc. which all tend to be very taxing on machines for what amount to be tiny details most people don't notice.

Really, a lot of that is making a game for consoles and then just letting you do some minor tuning on better systems, as opposed to building the game for better systems.

Policenaut
Jul 11, 2008

On the moon... they don't make Neo Kobe Pizza.

Boten Anna posted:

Yeah I left out a phrase in my original post that mangled my intent and I corrected later, excuuuuuuuuse me princess. No system has had full retail games for download at launch, and no purchase-and-download system (including Nintendo's) hasn't been something of a clusterfuck at and around launch. That Nintendo managed to launch a store with full retail titles and not have it crash with launch traffic is impressive and a worthy observation.

Do portable consoles count? Because Vita had that day 1.

Paper Jam Dipper
Jul 14, 2007

by XyloJW

netBuff posted:

Current generation consoles suffer from quite a few obvious visual flaws: Extreme pop-in, low-res textures, tearing, dithering, heavy framerate drops: Better graphics aren't everything, the next generation of consoles will also potentially allow for more reliable performance.

At an increased cost that will make it impossible for game developers/publishers to make profit at $60 per game.

PaulD1980
Sep 24, 2009
It's a Nintendo machine, it plays Nintendo games. Thats good enough for me!

Gendo
Feb 25, 2001

His place shall never be with those cold and timid souls who know neither victory nor defeat.

Boten Anna posted:

Not enough homes had bandwidth availability to make that practical at release. The purchase and installation structure was already in place. It was just a question of waiting for the pipes to get fat enough.

Fat.

Seaniqua posted:

Its web browser is perfect for showing me that FireJerryKill.com hasn't been updated in a month:smith:
I've been busy. :( I'm writing something right now though!

Zomodok
Dec 9, 2004

by Y Kant Ozma Post

Boten Anna posted:

Yeah I left out a phrase in my original post that mangled my intent and I corrected later, excuuuuuuuuse me princess. No system has had full retail games for download at launch, and no purchase-and-download system (including Nintendo's) hasn't been something of a clusterfuck at and around launch. That Nintendo managed to launch a store with full retail titles and not have it crash with launch traffic is impressive and a worthy observation.

This is the first system to launch where that business practice is part of the norm so I really don't understand why this is such a huge deal to you or anybody in any shape or form.

Just because people have problems with the console, business decisions, or whatever other practice that Nintendo does doesn't automatically revoke whatever feelings that you had for the console.

netBuff
Nov 7, 2011

by Fluffdaddy

Policenaut posted:

I don't see why it matters whether the feature was there day one or not: The Wii U is competing against today's PS3 (which has plenty of games available for digital downloads) and Xbox 360. A consumer rightfully won't care for how long a feature has been available on the platform: It's available today (and I don't think digital downloads on consoles are a huge business factor at this point in time).

Paper Jam Dipper posted:

At an increased cost that will make it impossible for game developers/publishers to make profit at $60 per game.

Better graphics = increased development cost.
Current gen graphics with better performance on next gen systems = lower development cost.

You are equating two things that aren't necessarily connected.

PaulD1980 posted:

It's a Nintendo machine, it plays Nintendo games. Thats good enough for me!

I feel like this is the right attitude in relation to the Wii U.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

toxicsunset
Sep 19, 2005

BUY MORE CRABS

Boten Anna posted:

Because you're comparing it with 7 year old consoles. I don't know how to make this clear. It shouldn't be lauded at this point, it's expected. New technology should at least launch with the ability to do what older technology is doing. With Xbox Live and Steam paving the way for "how to do things right" in so many regards, and for Nintendo to have eschewed them and decided to do them their own, stupid way (talking specifically about the importance of unified chat systems and Nintendo's odd decision to continue system-binding accounts/downloads) just seems stubborn and silly.

Boten Anna
Feb 22, 2010

Policenaut posted:

I guess this is true, and if I expanded my definition it would start being a bit of a stretch :v: Home console?

I do think it's cool in general that technology and the public internet are to the point where stores with hotly anticipated 5GB downloads work smoothly on launch day. This was definitely not true not that long ago.

extremebuff
Jun 20, 2010

Paper Jam Dipper posted:

I think he was just talking about being able to pump out current-gen visuals but at great framerates and resolutions.

Uncharted 3 is flipping gorgeous but the resolution is stretched and there are parts of the game where the framerate suffers. So the software is reaching the point where it's running the hardware hot and raw, and a bit more breathing room would be all that's needed for FAR better visual quality in terms of performance.

thefncrow
Mar 14, 2001

Chance posted:

the people who think that any nintendo console is meant to actually be directly comparable to competitors systems (even though nintendo has been pretty drat clear they do this crazy poo poo to avoid exactly that)

The problem is that this is Nintendo's big pitch on the WiiU, that they'll create a system which will be able to handle all the big multiplatform games, so you might as well just buy our system because we'll have all the multiplatforms plus our exclusives.

Nintendo's entire marketing strategy is defined around trying to regain enough of the hardcore demographic that their system doesn't die out 2 years before the other systems because they don't have the third-party support to keep that crowd engaged after the casuals burn themselves out on WiiSports.

Nintendo basically cannot afford a repeat of the Wii. The lack of software sales will kill them, and they will be even less buoyed by strong hardware sales than they were last time because last time they were selling Wiis at a profit and the WiiU is instead being sold at a loss.

Gendo
Feb 25, 2001

I have mixed emotions about digital delivery. The technology is neat and I love the idea of immediate availability without waiting for replication, but I also like owning physical media and I don't like giving up control.

As long as there's an option to purchase either way I suppose it doesn't matter.

toxicsunset
Sep 19, 2005

BUY MORE CRABS

Gendo posted:

I have mixed emotions about digital delivery. The technology is neat and I love the idea of immediate availability without waiting for replication, but I also like owning physical media and I don't like giving up control.

As long as there's an option to purchase either way I suppose it doesn't matter.

I used to think this way, too. I was really against it. I don't know how to explain what happened to me other than "Steam".

Then again I was a habitual loser of discs or serial codes and whatnot for PC games. Also used to be an avid DVD collector but then I got Netflix and, well.. now I don't know what I bothered amassing 800 DVDs for in the first place. The only thing you really "lose" is that gratification of having spent money and having something, physically, in your hand to show for it.

toxicsunset fucked around with this message at 22:58 on Nov 19, 2012

Paper Jam Dipper
Jul 14, 2007

by XyloJW

thefncrow posted:

Nintendo basically cannot afford a repeat of the Wii. The lack of software sales will kill them

Yes they can. They can afford a repeat of the Wii for the next 50 years.

Do people here really think that the negative 2011 and 2012 for Nintendo negates all of the money they made between 2005 and 2010?

extremebuff
Jun 20, 2010

Gendo posted:

My only hang-up about buying digital games is that you can't lend or sell it. So if I'm getting a game that's fifty+ dollars, that's an absolute no-no.

For games that are under 15 bucks, it's perfect.

Ghosts n Gopniks
Nov 2, 2004

Imagine how much more sad and lonely we would be if not for the hard work of lowtax. Here's $12.95 to his aid.

Monster w21 Faces posted:

I have a NintendoLand Retro theme ringtone for anyone with an iPhone if they want it.

http://www.tindeck.com , my mouth, my heart and my phone.

Utnayan
Sep 26, 2002
PROUD MEMBER OF THE RAPIST DEFENSE BRIGADE! DO NOT BE MEAN TO RAPISTS, OR I WILL VOTE FOR THEM WITH EVER INCREASING VIGOR!

I would agree but in this case there is more to the lackluster launch here than meets the eye. And I like the machine so far and look forward to more 1st party games. With that said, some notable issues, some matter, some may not - but either way it just screams unfinished:

* Amazon, Hulu, and Youtube not functional. (There really should be no reason for this given consoles out since 2004 have had this functionality for a while)

* Overlay issues on displays. (This can be fixed for the User Interface screen by reducing the image in settings, but for games, it remains - and there are no options to fix this in game options. (Happening to quite a few folks)

* No Optical out/Ethernet Port (Debatable)

* Very slow and sluggish user interface. While it is easy to navigate, the objective measuring sstick here would be speed. It is ungodly slow to open a channel, and loading a game seems to take much longer than on PC or any other console currently.

* Battery on the Pad was obviously scaled down as noted in several pictures. This can be offset though with a relatively long AC Cable to plug your pad into at least.

* Lack of DD/DTS. However as illustrated above, LPCM is better, however, some may not have access to newer receivers and rely on optical input/output with DD/DTS licensing.

* System tied - not account based (This one is just flat out retarded)

* The transfer tool is horribly slow. Wii to Wii U transfers are taking forever - not because of network - just because it is poorly engineered.

Anyway, as far as current gen and PC ultra settings, the difference is huge. Higher resolution, tesselation, better lighting, HDR, occlusion, etc. Anyone who doesn't see this (Take a look at Crysis 2 between 360 and PC with all upgrades - HD pack, DX 11 kit) it is a major difference. While the Wii U just caught up to the 360 and PS3 here, it's more of them concentrating on a new way to play games. Time will tell or not if it will pan out. Until then, I am guessing we will see the next gen for Sony and Microsoft be powerful enough to catch up to current day computer systems and DX 11 specs with higher end graphical processing power.

The Wii U just isn't it. But it was never supposed to be. Hopefully it doesn't bite them in a year.

\/\/\/ Yeah Steam did it for me as well. Unforutnately, the marketplace on Xbox is a joke - their sales are anything but, and they are most definitely not good deals. Sony seems to have figured it out however with free games when subscribed to plus, and some overall good deals and sales that actually * are * good deals.

Microsoft has a lot to learn from Valve and why it is so popular.

Utnayan fucked around with this message at 23:04 on Nov 19, 2012

Fatal
Jul 29, 2004

I'm gunna kill you BITCH!!!

Gendo posted:

Console games are still in the realm of being sold back to gamestop/Amazon/whatever which is why I'm not a big fan of digital distribution on systems like the WiiU. Hopefully they can compete with sale prices (price matching Amazon/Gamestop) which would make me feel alot better.

Still though, Amazon botched my delivery of Mario (arrival of Wednesday) so I just bought it through the WiiU store. Can't beat that convenience.

toxicsunset posted:

I used to think this way, too. I was really against it. I don't know how to explain what happened to me other than "Steam".

Steam has sold it for me too for PC games, I think it's the sales and the massive library to choose from. If Nintendo can capitalize (big if) on their gigantic backlog and pump out games consistently they will have digital distribution in the bag for the Wii U. I hope that's the case.

Fatal fucked around with this message at 23:03 on Nov 19, 2012

Chaltab
Feb 16, 2011

So shocked someone got me an avatar!

Boten Anna posted:

As someone who is in the same boat, play NSMBU. It's way better than NSMB2. YOU CAN RIDE YOSHI FOR FUCKS SAKE ITS BEEN HOW LONG LIKE 20 YEARS gently caress
It's been less than three.

Someone didn't play Mario Galaxy 2 or NSMBWii apparently.

Chronojam
Feb 20, 2006

This is me on vacation in Amsterdam :)
Never be afraid of being yourself!

Gendo posted:

What I really liked about Steam circa 8 years ago when we were all rushing to get HL2 was the fact it let you burn your own media painlessly from its own interface. Plus it has offline mode for when the network was being flakey. Somehow this kind of thing hasn't quite caught on well enough, and instead publishers saddle us with increasingly more atrocious DRM every year.

Boten Anna
Feb 22, 2010

thefncrow posted:

Nintendo's entire marketing strategy is defined around trying to regain enough of the hardcore demographic that their system doesn't die out 2 years before the other systems because they don't have the third-party support to keep that crowd engaged after the casuals burn themselves out on WiiSports.

My theory is that the "hardcore crowd" outside of a some segments don't want to and never really will want to like Nintendo and Nintendo would be foolish to try to please them and they know it. However, my optimistic prediction is that with the attitude Nintendo has shown so far toward third party developers is that the Wii U isn't going to be the console of AAA multiplatforms but it's going to end up being basically the Steam Console in that given their attitude toward indie and small developers, smaller and indie games will flourish while Sony and Microsoft continue chasing the AAA dragon.

Thanks to app stores everywhere, the "Wii Sports casual players" that pick this thing up eventually will be comfortable with buying downloaded games, and the casual segment will lap up the lower prices and simpler ambitions of the shop offerings, and even those of us who are a bit more involved will gravitate toward e-Shop versions of these indie games due to a combination of pad support, developer enthusiasm and support, and it being really easy to play on a TV.

This is all of course assuming that the console is engaging enough and gets traction, but the buzz and popularity so far bode well for this I think.

Gendo
Feb 25, 2001

When is the next big wave of titles going to hit? Q1 2013? I'm still holding off until I see another title or two that really interest me but it's kind of tempting to make a move now prior to the holidays since I'll have tons of guests running through the house.

extremebuff
Jun 20, 2010

Utnayan posted:

The Wii U just isn't it. But it was never supposed to be. Hopefully it doesn't bite them in a year.

Well aren't the specs still not really known? We know all about the RAM, but not the eDRAM, the GPU is stronger than the 360's but no one knows by how much, and the CPU is still a mystery. Hopefully some third party leaks everything.

quote:

Somehow this kind of thing hasn't quite caught on well enough, and instead publishers saddle us with increasingly more atrocious DRM every year.
It's to reward pirates, obviously.

Macintosh HD
Mar 9, 2004

Oh no its today

Monster w21 Faces posted:

Dropbox might work. Also, yes, very interested. :)

On a side note, has ANYTHING been said about being able to use a Gamepad and a Wiimote for two player NSMBU? I know that it forces you to have two Wiimotes, but has anything been said about patching that behavior away? It seems like a money-grab, as the Gamepad has all the necessary buttons to function as a Wiimote.

I only have one Wiimote. :smith:

Supercar Gautier
Jun 10, 2006

Gendo posted:

When is the next big wave of titles going to hit? Q1 2013? I'm still holding off until I see another title or two that really interest me but it's kind of tempting to make a move now prior to the holidays since I'll have tons of guests running through the house.

I think Pikmin 3, Rayman Legends, and Wonderful 101 are the anticipated Q1 titles. Nintendo haven't announced much beyond that, aside from SSB and Bayonetta 2 being somewhere off in the distance.

parasyte
Aug 13, 2003

Nobody wants to die except the suicides. They're no fun.

Gendo posted:

There's a set of (mostly licensed) titles coming Dec 4th, but after that it looks bone dry until Q103 releases start getting dated.

Utnayan
Sep 26, 2002
PROUD MEMBER OF THE RAPIST DEFENSE BRIGADE! DO NOT BE MEAN TO RAPISTS, OR I WILL VOTE FOR THEM WITH EVER INCREASING VIGOR!

Gendo posted:

When is the next big wave of titles going to hit? Q1 2013? I'm still holding off until I see another title or two that really interest me but it's kind of tempting to make a move now prior to the holidays since I'll have tons of guests running through the house in the holidays.

A couple new games are going to hit when the other regions launch. But yeah, I would steer more towards March of 2013 before you see some other titles hit the market that may steer you down the Wii U path. My guess is we won't see first party titles for Zelda and Metroid for quite some time.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bombadilillo
Feb 28, 2009

The dock really fucks a case or nerfing it.

Gendo posted:

Nintendoland is pretty much the definitive party game. Ghost mansion will have everyone laughing and yelling in no time.

• Locked thread