Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Are you getting the Wii U?
This poll is closed.
Yes 9031 65.25%
No 1191 8.60%
Maybe 808 5.84%
I'm an idiot 460 3.32%
Waluigi 1603 11.58%
Waa 748 5.40%
Total: 13841 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

• Locked thread
Paper Jam Dipper
Jul 14, 2007

by XyloJW

skywalker6705 posted:

I'd like some feedback on this. It's a bit of a rant, but after seeing the teardowns and the reduced gamepad battery, I'm really disheartened.

Seriously folks. The battery is pretty much the same quality you'll find in any Apple or Samsung phone product today. Jack up your screen brightness, jack up your volume and go play a AAA phone game or just use your network data straight without interruption and tell me how much juice you get. Or gently caress, how many people here get more than three hours on their laptop with everything set to high?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

thefncrow
Mar 14, 2001

Chronojam posted:

It's odd that they won't confirm support for any of the major consoles, and have explicitly said to third parties to not plan on developing with UE4 for a long while. That's why I assume they're playing coy, and want to see people get off to a good start with one or two solid UE3 titles on the new consoles before letting them really move up.

Epic also is known for playing to the hardware manufacturers to encourage them to build as powerful a machine as possible. There's a very real angle to this that Epic won't commit to UE4 running on any of the consoles as a way to apply pressure to MS/Sony to push the specs on the new hardware.

I imagine once the hardware is finalized and production is underway, you'll end up with Epic confirming support for all the hardware platforms.

testtubebaby
Apr 7, 2008

Where we're going,
we won't need eyes to see.

Anyone else's Miiverse giving them a really weird screen?

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:
I'm sure developers will get the hang of it. It just frustrates me because most people at this time don't even realize the Wii U isn't the Wii, everyone still thinks it's a $299 tablet that is portable but you can connect to your Wii also. If extra effort was put into having these early ports be the definitive versions of their respective games it would very quickly turn heads.

Fatal posted:

Looks like a tripod mount or something, wonder what it's going to be used for?

:tinfoil:

ElProducto
Oct 9, 2001
if you want to live low, live low

Chronojam posted:

Why do you think that UE4 will not easily port to the Wii U, out of curiosity? Everything I know from experience with UE3 and available info on UE4 seems to suggest otherwise.

Obviously I don't know anything, but it seems to me that if it was that easy, Epic would just do it. They're putting full support behind UE3, it seems to me that devs would just want to use that.

skywalker6705
Mar 16, 2006

"I can't fit my meat into my new shorts!"

Toad King posted:

I think this issue with the RAM being slow is eventually going to turn into a non-issue once more devs get to understand the Wii U architecture. A couple devs have already at least one dev saying they were impressed by the Wii U's memory architecture, among other things. The truth is, like any new console, it will take time for developers to understand all the tricks to getting the most out of the system. People who are going "LOL The Wii U will never be better than 360/PS3 I mean look at the RAM speed!" most likely have never done any development of any kind and are just saying poo poo because they see a bigger number without knowing the meaning behind it.

But it's not one number that's getting people hung up here man. And if you understand why they started moving CPU and GPU into one die in modern chips, and why the PS3s shared memory choices were a huge burden when it launched, then you probably also understand why RAM latency could be an actual issue despite it's capacity. No one is saying the Wii U will never have great games. It has great games now! :D But there are limits to how far a set of parts can take you. And very importantly, we know these parts, they are ALL off the shelf. I have no doubts they'll be able to play games on par with 360 and PS3 mostly. But people's expectations of this being just flat out more powerful were mistaken, and that won't change going forward. It has a newer GPU, and it will be able to show that in the right titles. But ports from current gen titles are not going to be as fluid as they should be without being very specifically tailored to these new limitations.

Paper Jam Dipper posted:

Seriously folks. The battery is pretty much the same quality you'll find in any Apple or Samsung phone product today. Jack up your screen brightness, jack up your volume and go play a AAA phone game or just use your network data straight without interruption and tell me how much juice you get. Or gently caress, how many people here get more than three hours on their laptop with everything set to high?

Battery quality is not an issue at all. But powering a 480p screen, and doing no rendering on the gamepad itself, it should last longer than 3 hours. People are complaining about the 1500mAh, because that is quite low compared to the 2100mAh battery standard in most smartphones even.

You are comparing a wireless *display* to wireless *devices*. They're not the same, and their power requirements aren't even close.

skywalker6705 fucked around with this message at 02:46 on Nov 20, 2012

Paper Jam Dipper
Jul 14, 2007

by XyloJW

Toad King posted:

A couple devs have already at least one dev saying they were impressed by the Wii U's memory architecture, among other things.

quote:

More specifically, we’ve heard rumors about the CPU, that it’s supposedly the weakest link of the system. Word has spread that it’s some sort of Broadway (Wii CPU) but in a three-core configuration and improved. Others have argued that based on its reduced size seen in recent pictures and the overall low consumption of the unit, it is not very powerful. Have you encountered any problems during your development because of this component or is it efficient enough?

We didn’t have such problems. The CPU and GPU are a good match. As said before, today’s hardware has bottlenecks with memory throughput when you don’t care about your coding style and data layout. This is true for any hardware and can’t be only cured by throwing more megahertz and cores on it. Fortunately Nintendo made very wise choices for cache layout, ram latency and ram size to work against these pitfalls. Also Nintendo took care that other components like the Wii U GamePad screen streaming, or the built-in camera don’t put a burden on the CPU or GPU.

But but but the number isn't bigger...

Toad King
Apr 23, 2008

Yeah, I'm the best

zenintrude posted:

Anyone else's Miiverse giving them a really weird screen?

That looks like a classic case of a webpage's stylesheet not loading. Seeing as Miiverse is basically a webapp, try loading a different page, or exiting Miiverse and loading it again.

netBuff
Nov 7, 2011

by Fluffdaddy

Paper Jam Dipper posted:

People trying to sell you a game for a system aren't going to trash-talk it.

In the end, it seems very likely that third party support for this system is going to be pretty irrelevant: I'm buying it for the Nintendo games.

Toad King
Apr 23, 2008

Yeah, I'm the best

skywalker6705 posted:

But it's not one number that's getting people hung up here man. And if you understand why they started moving CPU and GPU into one die in modern chips, and why the PS3s shared memory choices were a huge burden when it launched, then you probably also understand why RAM latency could be an actual issue despite it's capacity. No one is saying the Wii U will never have great games. It has great games now! :D But there are limits to how far a set of parts can take you. And very importantly, we know these parts, they are ALL off the shelf. I have no doubts they'll be able to play games on par with 360 and PS3 mostly. But people's expectations of this being just flat out more powerful were mistaken, and that won't change going forward. It has a newer GPU, and it will be able to show that in the right titles. But ports from current gen titles are not going to be as fluid as they should be without being very specifically tailored to these new limitations.

If you bothered to read the article I linked, the Nano Assault devs actually said their memory architecture has lots of features to help negate the traditional issues of RAM latency. (I'm pretty sure this has a lot to do with the huge amount of eDRAM on the CPU/GPU die.)

Macintosh HD
Mar 9, 2004

Oh no its today
I apologize if this was covered, but this thread went from five or so replies a day to exploding overnight (funny what a launch will do). Has anyone been able to actually find this "day one" Rayman demo that they were so jazzed to tell us about? It just doesn't seem to be anywhere.

Also, hand me a mini Yoshi and there's a very good chance I'm going to throw it into a pit.

skywalker6705
Mar 16, 2006

Toad King posted:

If you bothered to read the article I linked, the Nano Assault devs actually said their memory architecture has lots of features to help negate the traditional issues of RAM latency. (I'm pretty sure this has a lot to do with the huge amount of eDRAM on the CPU/GPU die.)

I did actually bother to read the article. And I believe what he says. But he's also developing downloadable sub 100mb titles. I don't expect those titles are going to really stress the bounds of a system.

It's like reading a report on how amazing the 360's hardware is by the guy who made Geometry Wars.

When you start talking about games that have much larger ram requirements like GTAIV it could be a whole different ballgame. Again, I'm hoping for the best, and I DO expect games like GTAIV will wind up running beautifully in time. But to just say it's not a bottleneck because you can sidestep it misses the point. It limits where the games can go moving forward, and when GTAVI launches in 3 to 5 years, I do NOT expect to see a Wii U version.

moron izzard
Nov 17, 2006

Grimey Drawer
is the nintendo network sign in the same as your club nintendo sign in, or are they separate? having trouble linking up my account

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

Paper Jam Dipper posted:

Seriously folks. The battery is pretty much the same quality you'll find in any Apple or Samsung phone product today. Jack up your screen brightness, jack up your volume and go play a AAA phone game or just use your network data straight without interruption and tell me how much juice you get.

7 hours at full brightness and using data constantly in a low signal environment, because it's 2012 and my phone has a 3300 mAh battery. While it's doing that it also has to do a lot more since it's a full-fledged computer and not, you know, a controller.

poo poo, my PSP had a battery with more capacity in it.

suddenlyissoon
Feb 17, 2002

Don't be sad that I am gone.
Well, I guess I'm about to find out how they handle club nintendo transfers with broken Wii U's.

gently caress this poo poo :(

Crowbear
Jun 17, 2009

You freak me out, man!

Paper Jam Dipper posted:

One of the Warriors Orochi devs said that they had trouble with the Wii U version because of its relatively weak CPU. Just because one developer didn't have an issue with it doesn't mean it's not going to be a problem for certain types of games.

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

Smuckles posted:

I apologize if this was covered, but this thread went from five or so replies a day to exploding overnight (funny what a launch will do). Has anyone been able to actually find this "day one" Rayman demo that they were so jazzed to tell us about? It just doesn't seem to be anywhere.
There aren't any demos on eShop, I don't know who said that there were in this thread but they were wrong. Rayman isn't even an entry in the shop at all other than the 3DS titles.

skywalker6705 posted:

I did actually bother to read the article. And I believe what he says. But he's also developing downloadable sub 100mb titles. I don't expect those titles are going to really stress the bounds of a system.
Well that's kind of a fallacy isn't it. It's not like this is the developer of a tile-based pixel art game. You can procedurally generate your content and have tons of complexity in a tiny filesize, after all. That's just a bad argument to bring to the table.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007

Robolizard! posted:

is the nintendo network sign in the same as your club nintendo sign in, or are they separate? having trouble linking up my account

They're separate, make a new network ID, after that you can link your club nintendo account to it.

GameboyHero
Apr 11, 2010

Robolizard! posted:

They're both separate, though you can link your club nintendo account to it.

So I bought this particular hard drive the day I picked up the WiiU and it recognized it when i plugged it in but trying to download or move stuff to it and it freaks out.

Maybe it's due to it being a USB 3.0? I'm not 100% sure. I remember one of the directs saying that I need to get a Y-Cable or something? Anyone know one that will work with this one or will any do.

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.

Quest For Glory II posted:

There aren't any demos on eShop, I don't know who said that there were in this thread but they were wrong. Rayman isn't even an entry in the shop at all other than the 3DS titles.

Ubisoft said there'd be demos for ZombiU and Rayman at launch, a day or two before it came out. It's probably a case of Nintendo giving them a date and then not following through, which they do all the time.

Liam Acerbus
Sep 17, 2007

Crowbear posted:

One of the Warriors Orochi devs said that they had trouble with the Wii U version because of its relatively weak CPU. Just because one developer didn't have an issue with it doesn't mean it's not going to be a problem for certain types of games.

IIRC, he later clarified the statement and said that it was just the clock speed that was lower than what people might expect. It's new architecture that takes some figuring out, apparently. Aside from that, I haven't heard a ton of negative comments about the hardware from devs.

It's unfortunate a lot of the launch ports seem to be shoddily made.

Crowbear
Jun 17, 2009

You freak me out, man!

Liam Acerbus posted:

IIRC, he later clarified the statement and said that it was just the clock speed that was lower than what people might expect. It's new architecture that takes some figuring out, apparently. Aside from that, I haven't heard a ton of negative comments about the hardware from devs.

It's unfortunate a lot of the launch ports seem to be shoddily made.

Really? I've looked around a bit and can't find anything from him since the interview I was talking about from late september.

You remember where you saw that? I'd be be happy to be wrong about the strength of the CPU.

skywalker6705
Mar 16, 2006

Quest For Glory II posted:

Well that's kind of a fallacy isn't it. It's not like this is the developer of a tile-based pixel art game. You can procedurally generate your content and have tons of complexity in a tiny filesize, after all. That's just a bad argument to bring to the table.

I'm fully aware you can. Are you claiming he did? Because I have trouble believing that. I seriously doubt Nano Assault Neo is occupying the entire 1gb memory footprint and requiring the read/write demands a AAA high speed open world title would. Moreover, work by a close third party partner from a smaller studio for downloadable titles is a bit different from work on a high profile third party title by studios not specialized for the hardware.

This is apples and oranges. Stop saying oranges and oranges.

edit: Regardless, I'm sick of this. I think the hardware was an unnecessary limitation. Not one they can't overcome to stand on par with current gen consoles, but one that will ultimately prevent them from really getting out ahead of those consoles in any significant fashion. That's all.

Lets talk about NSMBU instead and how it looks awesome and I want to play it.

skywalker6705 fucked around with this message at 03:30 on Nov 20, 2012

Boten Anna
Feb 22, 2010

skywalker6705 posted:

You are comparing a wireless *display* to wireless *devices*. They're not the same, and their power requirements aren't even close.

Yeah no, the biggest power draws in portables of all stripes is the screen and the radio, and guess which the gamepad has both of? Any power savings that might exist because it has a weaker processor due to just being an video decoder and universal remote are likely quickly negated by the nice, loud speakers on the thing.

Liam Acerbus
Sep 17, 2007

Crowbear posted:

Really? I've looked around a bit and can't find anything from him since the interview I was talking about from late september.

You remember where you saw that? I'd be be happy to be wrong about the strength of the CPU.

Just some people on NeoGAF. v:shobon:v It was a little while back, I think.

We'll know a lot more about the hardware once it gets X-rayed and whatnot. On the other hand, there's still some mysteries about the 3DS's hardware.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007

skywalker6705 posted:

Lets talk about NSMBU instead and how it looks awesome and I want to play it.

It's awesome and you want to play it. The extent to which the level design FEELS like Super Mario World actually makes up for the awful "BAH!" voice that's in every song of every Mario game with "New" in the title. The levels have just that right amount of height where you feel like you're about to die in a pit but then you land on a platform and take a new path through the level.

The Glumslinger
Sep 24, 2008

Coach Nagy, you want me to throw to WHAT side of the field?

Hair Elf
The CPU is on par with the 360's. It is slightly better at some things and slightly worse at others. They are very comparable in overall power.

It is very much a current gen console

moron izzard
Nov 17, 2006

Grimey Drawer
Lame, I can't transfer LostWinds

edit: I also learned today that I had 650+ miis in my mii parade :wtf:

Zomodok
Dec 9, 2004

by Y Kant Ozma Post

Boten Anna posted:

Yeah no, the biggest power draws in portables of all stripes is the screen and the radio, and guess which the gamepad has both of? Any power savings that might exist because it has a weaker processor due to just being an video decoder and universal remote are likely quickly negated by the nice, loud speakers on the thing.

I get better battery life out of my Vita which not only has a radio (3G/Wifi) and a better screen but actually handles the processing power on the handheld itself.

There can be things wrong with the console (And the battery life on the tablet happens to be one of them) without you needing to come in and defend it. The WiiU has potential and that's awesome it's very nice to see Nintendo continuing to move forward since the N64/NGC and when the first party stuff hits it's going to make the draw even more powerful which should help all around.

Why are you so invested in the WiiU? Does it play games? Does it play games that you like? Why is somebody else's opinion making you so defensive over it?

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

Personally I'm just waiting for the next Zelda game, since I completely skipped Skyward Sword. Inventory and map on the tablet, heck yes.

vvv (edit) oh my god yes

Ciaphas fucked around with this message at 03:53 on Nov 20, 2012

Zomodok
Dec 9, 2004

by Y Kant Ozma Post
I really hate remakes of games that I love but man Majora's Mask with the tablet seems like a really good idea in my head.

Boten Anna
Feb 22, 2010

It's just fact :confused:

They probably should have stuffed a bigger battery in but those things are expensive and you're presumably near a wall jack being in some kind of living room so Nintendo opted to save a few million dollars and put smaller batteries in.

Whether they are hitlersatan for doing this or not is an exercise left to the reader.

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.

skywalker6705 posted:

I'm fully aware you can. Are you claiming he did? Because I have trouble believing that. I seriously doubt Nano Assault Neo is occupying the entire 1gb memory footprint and requiring the read/write demands a AAA high speed open world title would. Moreover, work by a close third party partner from a smaller studio for downloadable titles is a bit different from work on a high profile third party title by studios not specialized for the hardware.

This is apples and oranges. Stop saying oranges and oranges.

Shin'en know what they're talking about. They've built a reputation on squeezing the most out of DS/WiiWare and pushing the hardware in ways people didn't think possible, particularly when it comes to compression/decompression and utilising RAM. You're obviously not gonna get a frank overlay of the hardware from a studio whose bread and butter comes from digital Nintendo platforms but they are definitely as equipped to understand its strengths and weaknesses than anyone else.

insidius
Jul 21, 2009

What a guy!

Zomodok posted:

I get better battery life out of my Vita which not only has a radio (3G/Wifi) and a better screen but actually handles the processing power on the handheld itself.

Well at least one of us can. I get 3, 3 and half hours at most out of my Vita. So pray tell, what is your definition of better?

InFlames235
Jan 13, 2004

LIKE THE WAVES IN THE OCEAN I WILL DIG IN YOUR FAT AND SEARCH FOR YOUR CLITORIS, BUT I WON'T SLAM WHALE
Okay, this is my comment on this whole hardware complaining going on right now. An Xbox 720 or PS4 WON'T be as powerful as a PC even is today. They just can't unless they want to sell their consoles for $600, and we all know how that turned out with the PS3. For me, I have a drat powerful PC that can play games with gorgeous graphics yet sometimes, maybe because I'm crazy, I like to get games for my 360 instead for a different kind of play experience. What I'm getting at is even though it's obvious the PS4 and Xbox 720 will outpower the Wii U, I already know the difference won't be large enough for me to care like I did when looking at Wii graphics vs Xbox 360.

But this is coming from someone who plans to have the next Xbox and owns a Wii U so take that as you will.

Zomodok
Dec 9, 2004

by Y Kant Ozma Post

insidius posted:

Well at least one of us can. I get 3, 3 and half hours at most out of my Vita. So pray tell, what is your definition of better?

I've found 4 hours playing LBP off of a cartridge to 5-6 hours between digitally downloaded gravity rush/Ragnarok. I also have a Nexus 7 with a work iPad that both get towards double digit in battery life. 3-5 hours on that thing is just a weird design choice that hopefully will be improved on for future editions. I mean there certainly is enough space for it.

InFlames235 posted:

But this is coming from someone who plans to have the next Xbox and owns a Wii U so take that as you will.

Ultimately as a hobby you would eventually grab all of the new consoles and just focus on the games. I didn't imagine myself grabbing the 360/ps3/wii while at the same time having a recently built PC but over the years it sort of just happened. I expect the same thing to happen with the new Xbox/Playstation as well.

VanillaGorilla
Oct 2, 2003

Man, Zombie-U is a great game, but it's definitely different. I managed to shepherd my survivor for a couple of hours all the way into Buckingham Palace, when I ran into my first spitting zombies and got swarmed down after valiantly offing about 6 of the undead. Had a lot of fun, but had to take a break for the evening after I respawned.

Apparently the game tosses other Zombi-U player's infected into your game, too, because I keep running into named infected with bobs (that aren't me).

Commissar Ken
Dec 9, 2006

Children STILL love me, dammit!

VanillaGorilla posted:

Apparently the game tosses other Zombi-U player's infected into your game, too, because I keep running into named infected with bobs (that aren't me).

It does and is like the best way for a quick ammo replenish. Got a rifle back from a fellow goon's zombie that I had lost prior.

quote:

spitting zombies

Those guys are assholes and pretty good shots. One hit from them turns fighting a single that you've got on the ropes into a fight for your loot

Stealthed Zombie
Dec 21, 2007

And Introducing:
Dean "Titty Master" Ambrose

suddenlyissoon posted:

Well, I guess I'm about to find out how they handle club nintendo transfers with broken Wii U's.

gently caress this poo poo :(

So your Wii U won't power on at all, or just the gamepad?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bread Set Jettison
Jan 8, 2009

Since it doesnt look like making a custom community is possible... should we just commandeer a game for Something Awful?

Funky Barn is the obvious choice here.

• Locked thread