Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Are you getting the Wii U?
This poll is closed.
Yes 9031 65.25%
No 1191 8.60%
Maybe 808 5.84%
I'm an idiot 460 3.32%
Waluigi 1603 11.58%
Waa 748 5.40%
Total: 13841 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

• Locked thread
suddenlyissoon
Feb 17, 2002

Don't be sad that I am gone.

Stealthed Zombie posted:

So your Wii U won't power on at all, or just the gamepad?

Just the gamepad. After checking with his manager he said I would only need to send the gamepad in.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hamsterlady
Jul 8, 2010

Corpse Party, bitches.
I just watched a movie while playing a console game, this is so cool.

Heran Bago
Aug 18, 2006

Robolizard! posted:

Lame, I can't transfer LostWinds

edit: I also learned today that I had 650+ miis in my mii parade :wtf:

Does it remember or transfer all of the Miis from your Mii parade?

VVV Alright. I don't exactly want it to remember all of mine.

Heran Bago fucked around with this message at 04:34 on Nov 20, 2012

Rirse
May 7, 2006

by R. Guyovich

Heran Bago posted:

It gave me a big warning before transferring that the Mii Parade isn't supported and they would be removed.

Static Rook
Dec 1, 2000

by Lowtax

Heran Bago posted:

You have to move them into your Mii Plaza if you want them to transfer. Parade ones don't

Republicans
Oct 14, 2003

- More money for us

- Fuck you

Fatal posted:

Was poking around looking at the mini-battery and noticed something else:

Looks like a tripod mount or something, wonder what it's going to be used for?

Pretty sure it's for attaching the gamepad to peripherals like the zapper they used for early Wii U tech demos.

Finally we'll get a decent version of Silent Scope for a home console.

LIVE AMMO COSPLAY
Feb 3, 2006

ZombiU is actually sounding pretty good. I didn't preorder it (not sure that preordering games is necessary anyway,) but I'm probably going to pick it up when the system launches.

Anyone here have any impressions of the game?

The Timely Howard
Dec 26, 2008

ASK ME WHAT MAKES ME THINK I'M SO FUNKY
So, today I decided that I do want a Wii U after all, and went out looking.

drat thing's sold out in my city.

That's cool.

Fatal
Jul 29, 2004

I'm gunna kill you BITCH!!!

Paper Jam Dipper posted:

But but but the number isn't bigger...

Bandwidth != Latency.

Lets compare two different usage scenarios for these metrics using something more relatable: internet connections.

Joe is a pirate, he downloads anything and everything. For him, a 100Mbit connection that averages 250ms latency would be perfectly fine. Sure his webpages load a little slower but 100Mbit! He can download the latest walking dead in a matter of seconds.

Paul on the other hand is big into Counter-strike. For him, a 5Mbit connection with 10ms latency to his nearest CS server is key. Anything over a 30ms ping is unacceptable because he can't Boom headshot the n00bs.

Swapping these two users connections would result in both users saying the connection was poo poo yet they both are baller awesome when paired with the right user. Similar concepts are in play with the WiiU's CPU/GPU/RAM, just because some journalist looked up the spec sheet of a RAM chip doesn't mean he knows what he's talking about (not to mention he botched it on his first try).

Man-Thing
Apr 29, 2011

Whatever knows fear
BURNS at the touch

Republicans posted:

Finally we'll get a decent version of Silent Scope for a home console.
Don't even joke about things like that. You will break my heart when it ends up not happening.

Almost Smart
Sep 14, 2001

so your telling me you wasn't drunk or fucked up in anyway. when you had sex with me and that monkey
I don't think I've ever seen a new console thread go through such a rapid about-face. Over the course of 24 hours, it transitioned through anticipation, joy and then landed on sheer dread. I guess it will take some time (and a steady flow of quality games) to erase the memory of the last 3-4 years gaming on the Wii.

I like the system thus far, but it really does seem to feel a bit out of time and place. It feels like the original Wii ought to have released in 2005 alongside the 360 and the Wii U should have succeeded it back in 2009. I guess there's really no point in musing over "what should have been" though. It is what it is. That said, there's really nothing stopping me or anyone else from supplementing the Wii U with a "real" next-gen system later down the road.

Boten Anna
Feb 22, 2010

This sucks, an ars technica writer has several hundred dollars of content they can't transfer to the U without a $60 repair. I know I have personally spent hundreds if not a grand less on the VC than I would have if it had SD card support earlier, it wasn't so terrible, and I wasn't worried about losing it all in some disaster.

http://arstechnica.com/gaming/2012/11/how-nintendo-drm-trapped-400-of-downloaded-games-on-my-failing-wii/

beergod
Nov 1, 2004
NOBODY WANTS TO SEE PICTURES OF YOUR UGLY FUCKING KIDS YOU DIPSHIT
Man they aren't kidding about th Mii Code of Conduct. I posted an inside joke with a friend in my profile ("kill ur parents lol") and they restricted my ability to post or make my profile public. I had to change it and send them a confirming message and they still haven't unrestricted my profile yet. Careful!

moron izzard
Nov 17, 2006

Grimey Drawer

beergod posted:

Man they aren't kidding about th Mii Code of Conduct. I posted an inside joke with a friend in my profile ("kill ur parents lol") and they restricted my ability to post or make my profile public. I had to change it and send them a confirming message and they still haven't unrestricted my profile yet. Careful!

That sounds like a really dumb joke, and a really dumb place to put it!

beergod
Nov 1, 2004
NOBODY WANTS TO SEE PICTURES OF YOUR UGLY FUCKING KIDS YOU DIPSHIT

Robolizard! posted:

That sounds like a really dumb joke, and a really dumb place to put it!

Yes, agreed!

Chaltab
Feb 16, 2011

So shocked someone got me an avatar!
I'm still more than a little baffled at Nintendo's reasoning for not having an account system that manages the digital rights to your purchases. Lots of people are uneasy about digital content to start with since it has no resale value, but when it's irrecoverable if something happens to the system? It makes no sense.

My Xbox360 was stolen two years ago, but even now all my downloads and poo poo still belong to me. I was lucky enough that whoever eventually got their hands on it didn't get me permabanned.

Corky Kraptrucker
Oct 12, 2006
Being out of your box isn't a right. It's a privilege.

The Timely Howard posted:

So, today I decided that I do want a Wii U after all, and went out looking.

drat thing's sold out in my city.

That's cool.

Yeah, man, I was overcome with a fierce desire for one at like 10:30 pm the night before they came out. I went looking some early next morning to no avail. Does anyone know any sure-fire places to pick one up in the Chicagoland area?

Spittin Wheelie
Nov 4, 2005

Spittin is a nasty habbit...
I'm loving ZombiU so far, but do I really have to run all the way back to Buckingham Palace each time I die? (I die a lot) The sewer shortcut thing doesn't let me travel there?

Echophonic
Sep 16, 2005

ha;lp
Gun Saliva
I have to say, I'm pretty pleased with the Wii U so far. Mine showed up today, had all the stuff I needed to get it hooked up (a console that came with a loving HDMI cable!) within about 20 minutes. Then the drat update. That took FOREVER, but whatever.

Updated Netflix, messed around with that, rummaged around the shop and menus, then bought Little Inferno. Everyone go buy that goddamn game. It's bizarre and relaxing as hell, when it's not trying to creep you out.

I got my Wii stuff transferred over, too. Took a while, though most of it was me getting my homebrew stuff updated so I could take a NAND backup. I felt like I was in some sort of gamer-themed hacker movie, shuffling 3 controllers, 2 SD cards, swapping inputs, then watching a block-by-block backup and restore. I even turned it up to 11 and threw on the Tron: Legacy soundtrack. The pikmin wandering around in cyberspace was really cool. Whoever decided on that is a genius.

The thing that amazed me, though, was actually seeing a retail Nintendo game for sale digitally. Sticker Star got most of the disbelief out of my system, but I was tempted to pick up NSMBU just because I could buy it right there on the console.

Maybe tomorrow I'll actually play an on-disk game! I got AC3, NintendoLand, and Scribblenauts and I spent all night throwing weird poo poo in a fireplace. What the gently caress.

Nickoten
Oct 16, 2005

Now there'll be some quiet in this town.
So I just bought NSMBU on a Deluxe console. That means I'll get points for it next month, right?

Edit: Also, Nintendo Land is a blast so far even with just two people. I can't wait to give it a try with a larger group.

GI_Clutch
Aug 22, 2000

by Fluffdaddy
Dinosaur Gum
I played a little Scribblenauts Unlimited today. It was my first experience with the series. It was a lot of fun just wandering around, clicking on folks, and coming up with items to help them out. A lot of times it seems a bit too easy to come up with a valid answer. I think I need to go for some more creative answers. I did like that "booger" was a valid solution to "I need to feed these students. Please place something in the pot." The student's reaction was priceless. I found myself looking at the pad pretty much the entire time.

I can't wait for Mario and ZombiU to arrive tomorrow.

Gutcruncher
Apr 16, 2005

Go home and be a family man!
Speaking of Miis and Mii Parades, does the Wii U's Mii channel have its own parade? Also, can people still mail eachother Miis?

Astro7x
Aug 4, 2004
Thinks It's All Real

Jet Set Jettison posted:

Since it doesnt look like making a custom community is possible... should we just commandeer a game for Something Awful?

Funky Barn is the obvious choice here.

This is actually not a bad idea... I'd be down for taking over some lovely game's community and turning into SA hijinks

AngryCaterpillar
Feb 1, 2007

I DREW THIS

Chaltab posted:

I'm still more than a little baffled at Nintendo's reasoning for not having an account system that manages the digital rights to your purchases. Lots of people are uneasy about digital content to start with since it has no resale value, but when it's irrecoverable if something happens to the system? It makes no sense.

My Xbox360 was stolen two years ago, but even now all my downloads and poo poo still belong to me. I was lucky enough that whoever eventually got their hands on it didn't get me permabanned.

The fact that purchases will be able to be made on PC and smartphones next year indicates that purchases are in fact registered to your Nintendo Network account and not your Wii U. There has been nothing to inficate that you'll lose your purchases if something happens to your system.

Nickoten posted:

So I just bought NSMBU on a Deluxe console. That means I'll get points for it next month, right?

Yes, that's right. http://www.ddp.nintendo.com

Underwhelmed
Mar 7, 2004

Nap Ghost

GI_Clutch posted:

I played a little Scribblenauts Unlimited today. It was my first experience with the series. It was a lot of fun just wandering around, clicking on folks, and coming up with items to help them out. A lot of times it seems a bit too easy to come up with a valid answer. I think I need to go for some more creative answers. I did like that "booger" was a valid solution to "I need to feed these students. Please place something in the pot." The student's reaction was priceless. I found myself looking at the pad pretty much the entire time.

I can't wait for Mario and ZombiU to arrive tomorrow.

I was messing around in one of the towns, and I created a friendly werewolf. Despite being friendly, he started attacking me and everything in sight so I created a silver bazooka and exploded him. Later, I was back at the farm, messing around when I noticed that when I made a horse, it panicked and ran away from me. I tried a few different variations on horse, but all of them ran when I got near them. I created a few other animals, same thing. I was starting to wonder what was going on, so I opened the editor on my self and noticed that I had a new adjective assigned to me: "Lycanthropic". Being wounded by the werewolf inflicted it on me, and the animals were afraid of me because I was now a werewolf and didn't even know it. I created a full moon and my guy even turned into a wolfman.

My point is that Scribblenauts is really cool.

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

A reminder that the music in Nintendoland is so fuckin good you guys. So good dammit

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9pkHoe_F7E4
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9kGESv_ONH4

I want a whole fuckin Celtic zelda soundtrack right now

The 7th Guest fucked around with this message at 07:17 on Nov 20, 2012

Boten Anna
Feb 22, 2010

Echophonic posted:

I was tempted to pick up NSMBU just because I could buy it right there on the console.

Hi shoulder devil here, do it. Do it. DO IT. Do it. Do it. You know you want it. Also it's really good. So just do it.

Man-Thing
Apr 29, 2011

Whatever knows fear
BURNS at the touch

GI_Clutch posted:

I played a little Scribblenauts Unlimited today. It was my first experience with the series. It was a lot of fun just wandering around, clicking on folks, and coming up with items to help them out. A lot of times it seems a bit too easy to come up with a valid answer. I think I need to go for some more creative answers. I did like that "booger" was a valid solution to "I need to feed these students. Please place something in the pot." The student's reaction was priceless. I found myself looking at the pad pretty much the entire time
Same here, first-time-scribbler. I can tell my brain just isn't wired to play this game - I was in the fire station, and the alarm on the first floor didn't work. So I spawned a generator, and two wires, and connected them to it. No dice. Then I added the adjective "working" to "fire alarm" and got a starite fragment. :rolleyes:

Then I went to the subway, where Augustus Gloop apparently wants candy but the vending machine is empty. I spawned a "stock man" thinking it would create a guy with candy to fill the machine. It spawned a cowboy (think "cattle stock yard"), but I figured maybe I can adjective him into a "Candy Stock Man" and he'll get a pallet of candy to fill the machine. NOPE!

It turned him into a giant piece of candy, which Augustus Gloop happily wolfed down in one go. :cry:

Scaly Haylie
Dec 25, 2004

Man-Thing posted:

Same here, first-time-scribbler. I can tell my brain just isn't wired to play this game - I was in the fire station, and the alarm on the first floor didn't work. So I spawned a generator, and two wires, and connected them to it. No dice. Then I added the adjective "working" to "fire alarm" and got a starite fragment. :rolleyes:

Then I went to the subway, where Augustus Gloop apparently wants candy but the vending machine is empty. I spawned a "stock man" thinking it would create a guy with candy to fill the machine. It spawned a cowboy (think "cattle stock yard"), but I figured maybe I can adjective him into a "Candy Stock Man" and he'll get a pallet of candy to fill the machine. NOPE!

It turned him into a giant piece of candy, which Augustus Gloop happily wolfed down in one go. :cry:

That sounds absolutely glorious.

Shadowgate
May 6, 2007

Soiled Meat
This lockup issue is getting really annoying and there are a ton of people complaining about it. Nobody else is experiencing this? It's probably happened 6 times since I got the console yesterday.

Someone on the Nintendo forums took a video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z2UhaepkdFI

It pretty much happens at random in any Nintendo Land game, but other people are reporting it in other games as well.

Man-Thing
Apr 29, 2011

Whatever knows fear
BURNS at the touch

Lizard Wizard posted:

That sounds absolutely glorious.

Scribblenauts is the sort of emergent-gameplay game that Jonathan Blow masturbates wishing he could create. Also, when the doctor asked for help with something to operate on a sick patient, I spawned a chainsaw. The doctor grabbed it, went "!" and chased the sick guy who hopped off the gurney and ran out of the hospital.

Guess he wasn't so sick after all.

Man-Thing fucked around with this message at 07:59 on Nov 20, 2012

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.
"Masturbatory" is the perfect word to describe Scribblenauts, but only in the perjorative sense.

absolutely anything
Dec 28, 2006

~As for dreams, she has enough and more to spare~
Finally getting around to messing with the internet browser. This thing is pretty drat responsive, definitely the best console browser I've ever used. Impressive!

Radnor
Dec 11, 2002

Octoparrot is watching you.

Shadowgate posted:

This lockup issue is getting really annoying and there are a ton of people complaining about it. Nobody else is experiencing this? It's probably happened 6 times since I got the console yesterday.

Someone on the Nintendo forums took a video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z2UhaepkdFI

It pretty much happens at random in any Nintendo Land game, but other people are reporting it in other games as well.

It happened to me. I tried to play the Pikmin game and it locked up just after I became Olimar. I had to yank the power cord to turn off the Wii U. :(

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
Scribblenauts could be a great engine behind any number of really fun, interesting games. The formula really should be "let's take a 2D side-scrolling game, and imagine what it would be like if you had object creation in it. Then let's make that game."

Personally I'd love if they took the engine and made a Zelda II-style action adventure game out of it and just peppered in the object creation as powerups and puzzle solvers.

Shadowgate
May 6, 2007

Soiled Meat

Radnor posted:

It happened to me. I tried to play the Pikmin game and it locked up just after I became Olimar. I had to yank the power cord to turn off the Wii U. :(

The Nintendo tech forums are getting a bunch of people complaining as well as people posting in Miiverse. I thought I might have gotten a defective console, but after seeing all the reports, it sounds like it is probably a software issue that is affectig many people.

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.

feedmyleg posted:

Scribblenauts could be a great engine behind any number of really fun, interesting games. The formula really should be "let's take a 2D side-scrolling game, and imagine what it would be like if you had object creation in it. Then let's make that game."

Personally I'd love if they took the engine and made a Zelda II-style action adventure game out of it and just peppered in the object creation as powerups and puzzle solvers.

That game already exists - it's called Drawn to Life and it's by the same devs, even. (It's also not very good.)

XOIC of Radishes
Oct 1, 2009

I planted radishes in this special dirt and they came up all weird!
:science: :ughh:

Shadowgate posted:

That noise reminds me of this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P9bk_QLvc_c

Anyways, finally got my Wii U up and running (and updated...after a couple hours and several internet disconnections). Everything seems smooth, although I've noticed the audio from Nintendo Land is a bit unsynced between the TV audio and the gamepad audio (TV sound plays first, and a fraction of a second later, gamepad audio is played; quite annoying). Is this normal, or is this something I need to fuss about within my TV's audio options?

edit: Or maybe the gamepad audio is played first? I don't recall, but they are certainly out of sync for one reason or another.

XOIC of Radishes fucked around with this message at 08:08 on Nov 20, 2012

Katana Gomai
Jan 14, 2007

"Thus," concluded Miyamoto, "you must give up everything you have to be my disciple."

Jet Set Jettison posted:

Since it doesnt look like making a custom community is possible... should we just commandeer a game for Something Awful?

Funky Barn is the obvious choice here.

That's some gamefaqs poo poo right there, plus making a community about dickjokes when Nintendo bans basically everything is dumb as hell.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Supercar Gautier
Jun 10, 2006

I got the Nintendoland freeze one time. I could be talking out of my rear end, but it's looking a lot like a software issue.

Is anyone else able to power off their console from a crash by holding the power button for a few seconds? That doesn't work on mine, and I feel like it ought to. The original Wii did it, as does just about any consumer electronic device.

XOIC of Radishes posted:

edit: Or maybe the gamepad audio is played first? I don't recall, but they are certainly out of sync for one reason or another.

It's more likely that the Gamepad audio is coming first and the TV audio is delayed slightly. It's pretty much the norm for HDTVs to have some degree of lag. Try turning off any and all video and audio post-processing options on your TV. It still might not be enough (on my TV there's a certain amount of audio/input lag that seems irreducible), but it's worth a shot.

• Locked thread