Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

V for Vegas
Sep 1, 2004

THUNDERDOME LOSER

furry drum circle posted:

I'm looking for fairly customizable games where you get opportunities to think out your strategies, execute them, and get explicitly rewarded for doing well or punished for loving up, maybe with a hint of exploration/randomization/dungeon crawl. That probably sounds horribly generic so here are some games from different genres I like and why:

You're basically describing the new XCOM: Enemy Unknown. Lots of characters and items to pore over. loving up definitely screws you over, but there is always a way through if you play smart. Capturing enemy units is hard, but very rewarding.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Moon Man
Mar 31, 2006

The Moon, for Christ's Sake
I just finished Xcom and I've beaten Borderlands 1 and 2. I'm looking for a good, action game with or without RPG elements. I'm a PC gamer and I am hoping someone can recommend a "Hidden Gem" game instead of a game everyone has already played. I also, being able to use a controller is preferred but not required. I know, I'm weird like that.

also, I freaking love good boss fights. It's been awhile since a game has wowed me with a good boss battle.

Ularg
Mar 2, 2010

Just tell me I'm exotic.
Me and my friends are seriously getting tired (me more angry than them) of DayZ. Could you guys recommend me a Co-op game that is teamwork based? Mainly against AI? We've played L4D2, Blops Zombies, Borderlands and Civ V. Maybe something that emphasizes teamwork.

Jelly
Feb 11, 2004

Ask me about my STD collection!

Ularg posted:

Me and my friends are seriously getting tired (me more angry than them) of DayZ. Could you guys recommend me a Co-op game that is teamwork based? Mainly against AI? We've played L4D2, Blops Zombies, Borderlands and Civ V. Maybe something that emphasizes teamwork.
Have you tried Killing Floor? It's a really fun team vs AI zombie game. I personally think the L4D series is tripe compared to it, but many would disagree. They also aren't exactly the same style of game, but if I'm thinking, "Man, I want to kill some zombies right now." I sure won't load up L4D.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Moon Man posted:

I just finished Xcom and I've beaten Borderlands 1 and 2. I'm looking for a good, action game with or without RPG elements. I'm a PC gamer and I am hoping someone can recommend a "Hidden Gem" game instead of a game everyone has already played. I also, being able to use a controller is preferred but not required. I know, I'm weird like that.

also, I freaking love good boss fights. It's been awhile since a game has wowed me with a good boss battle.

Give Binary Domain a try. It's a third-person shooter with mild RPG elements that affect your characters stats in the form of buff items (each character in the squad has a grid you can add and remove various-shaped buff items from like a quicker dodge, extra medkit, or steadier aim).

Ularg
Mar 2, 2010

Just tell me I'm exotic.

Jelly posted:

Have you tried Killing Floor? It's a really fun team vs AI zombie game. I personally think the L4D series is tripe compared to it, but many would disagree. They also aren't exactly the same style of game, but if I'm thinking, "Man, I want to kill some zombies right now." I sure won't load up L4D.

Yea, me and another friend played it a bit. But I think as a group we're pretty tired of zombies.

q2dm1_RAILWHORE
Nov 20, 2012

by Y Kant Ozma Post

Ularg posted:

I know most people bash it, but like most multiplayer games, Brink is a lot more fun with team members that know what they're doing. It's a team fps, objective based game, and specific classes are needed to complete objectives to progress on the map. Meaning one guy going Rambo won't be able to win the entire map by himself. In addition to needing different classes to complete and defend objectives, being part of a diverse team will also give you an edge in combat as soldiers can dispense ammo to team mates that need it, medics can heal and buff health, engineers can buff team mates' weapon damage, and more.

You can find it most places between $5-$10 and while there's not a ton of depth to keep you coming back for months on end (you will inevitably grow tired of playing a game that seems like it was made for lobotomized gamers), there's more than enough there to justify the bargain bin price. It's just one of those games that shines a lot brighter when you're playing with someone you know.

Ultimately, Brink is a game I could not recommend for $60, but think picking up under $10 is a complete steal. If you passed on when it was released because of all the bad press, now is a good time to give it a shot.

q2dm1_RAILWHORE fucked around with this message at 08:57 on Nov 20, 2012

Ularg
Mar 2, 2010

Just tell me I'm exotic.

q2dm1_RAILWHORE posted:

I know most people bash it, but like most multiplayer games, Brink is a lot more fun with team members that know what they're doing. It's a team fps, objective based game, and specific classes are needed to complete objectives to progress on the map. Meaning one guy going Rambo won't be able to win the entire map by himself. In addition to needing different classes to complete and defend objectives, being part of a diverse team will also give you an edge in combat as soldiers can dispense ammo to team mates that need it, medics can heal and buff health, engineers can buff team mates' weapon damage, and more.

You can find it most places between $5-$10 and while there's not a ton of depth to keep you coming back for months on end (you will inevitably grow tired of playing a game that seems like it was made for lobotomized gamers), there's more than enough there to justify the bargain bin price. It's just one of those games that shines a lot brighter when you're playing with someone you know.

Ultimately, Brink is a game I could not recommend for $60, but think picking up under $10 is a complete steal. If you passed on when it was released because of all the bad press, now is a good time to give it a shot.

I'm trying to avoid competitive games. The reason we're so tired of DayZ and most FPS shooters in general is the amount of bullshit because we don't play the game all day. Also a lot of hackers in DayZ.

q2dm1_RAILWHORE
Nov 20, 2012

by Y Kant Ozma Post

Ularg posted:

I'm trying to avoid competitive games. The reason we're so tired of DayZ and most FPS shooters in general is the amount of bullshit because we don't play the game all day. Also a lot of hackers in DayZ.
Haha, I understand. You don't have to play with other gamers in Brink though (in fact, you'd have a hard time doing that even if you wanted since no one plays anymore), you and your friend can play with/against bots of varying difficulty. The reason I recommended it to you is because my brother and I do the same thing now and then on Xbox Live when we're sick of dealing with the random prepubescent teenagers on there as well.

Typical Pubbie
May 10, 2011
Ularg, if your friends are up for a challenge, AI War: Fleet Command is designed from the ground up to be played co-op. It has a generous trial mode so you can try before you buy.

Ularg
Mar 2, 2010

Just tell me I'm exotic.

Typical Pubbie posted:

Ularg, if your friends are up for a challenge, AI War: Fleet Command is designed from the ground up to be played co-op. It has a generous trial mode so you can try before you buy.

Thanks, I'll run that by them. Also, wasn't there a co-op game that was players of a space ship that control different parts?

q2dm1_RAILWHORE
Nov 20, 2012

by Y Kant Ozma Post

Moon Man posted:

I had a blast with RAGE. Have you played it? It got plenty of hype, but most people expected some type of Borderlands or Fallout clone - and it's not, nor was it ever intended to be - so most people were disappointed. But it's THE best FPS that's been released since Bioshock (which is also the closest fps I'd compare it to in terms of the gunplay and very light rpg elements). Unfortunately there aren't really any boss fights, there's not even a final boss before a terrible ending. But the run+gun game play makes up for that in my opinion.

The fact that combat is what makes the game absolutely addicting to play is what makes the game so special in my eyes. It brings me back to the old days of playing games like Quake, Doom, and Duke Nukem - I didn't play and replay and replay and replay those games because of some rpg elements or a big world to explore, I enjoyed those games because running around shooting things was tons of fun. And that's exactly what RAGE brings to the table. The player speed, the guns, the AI, and the fluidity of combat are what set the game apart from a bloated fps genre. It's tough for me to compare the combat to anything because I think RAGE sets the bar, but Bioshock was the last game that I thought nailed single player fps combat as well as this.

It fits your criteria of being a good action game and has some light rpg elements with some vehicular combat mixed in. It also supports the use of a gamepad. The only thing on your list it doesn't have are the boss battles.

You can find it most places between $10 and $20.

q2dm1_RAILWHORE fucked around with this message at 09:55 on Nov 20, 2012

Ray
Sep 5, 2005

is een geheim voor iedereen

Moon Man posted:

I know it's a pretty well-known game, but have you tried Dark Souls? :shrug:

Urdnot Fire
Feb 13, 2012

Moon Man posted:

Darksiders II is a pretty fun game, especially since you'd be using a controller. It doesn't get enough love for its RPG elements, and the bosses are pretty drat fun, too (though you're right, it's tough finding a good boss fight nowadays).

Nighteyedie
May 30, 2011

I always thought SMT were turn based jrpg which I'm not big on, but I hear so much about them I might check those out soon anyways.

I actually had Baldur's Gate II open on gog the other day, but didn't pull the trigger since the blurb/screenshots made it look kinda unremarkable. Could you sell me on it/IWD any more?

Yea the SMT games have pretty standard turn based battle systems. It's a bit more strategic since elemental weaknesses and resistances have a huge impact, and buffs and status effects are more useful. I think most of the fun and strategy is in designing the perfect demon for the situation.

Baldur's Gate and IWD have a good amount depth in terms of character builds, there is a lot of classes that function very differently, and there is multiclassing, so you can do some pretty interesting stuff in that area. There are also lots of really interesting fights with dragons and large enemy parties that require a lot of planning ahead and using all the tools at your disposal. There is also permadeath depending on the difficulty level. The loot isn't randomized like Diablo, but there is a lots of really cool and unique equipment that you can get by completing various quests and tasks, it's pretty fun to pick a fight with a very powerful dragon to steal its unique one of a kind loot. BG is more balanced between combat and plot, and IWD is mostly combat.

Internet Friend
Jan 1, 2001

I'm looking for fairly customizable games where you get opportunities to think out your strategies, execute them, and get explicitly rewarded for doing well or punished for loving up, maybe with a hint of exploration/randomization/dungeon crawl. That probably sounds horribly generic so here are some games from different genres I like and why:

If you want something more action oriented look at Cladun X2. It's a dungeon crawler with lots of character building & looting, and how you set up your "party" (you control one character, the others are like equipment) matters for beating the par times for many levels. There's also randomly generated dungeons.

For a Diablo-like with a chance of failure there's Din's Curse. First off, you can build custom classes which is rad. The big feature is that there's a kind of soft time limit to each random town/dungeon. As you're going down the dungeon the game is generating champions, who can raise the levels of monster, who can go attack and kill the town. You get quests that tell you when this kind of thing is happening, if you're too slow to stop it everybody dies and you have to start again in a new town (but keep your character).

Both these games have demos. Cladun is a really lazy port of a PSP game, it works fine with a 360 controller but god help you if you have to decipher the menu for changing key binds to use another controller. And Din's Curse is ugly as sin.

Heatwizard
Nov 6, 2009

Moon Man posted:

Dark Messiah of Might and Magic is a first person hack and slash with an emphasis on physics japery, with some mild character and equipment progression, and it's a pretty good game. EYE: Divine Cybermancy is a weird French thing with a translation that's only half-competent and a bit of a steep learning curve, but I find it really intriguing and I keep trying to come back to it.

Im_Special
Jan 2, 2011

Look At This!!! WOW!
It's F*cking Nothing.
What are some games to play if I'm looking to get a Wizardry fix? I've played the Wizardy games / Class of Heroes / Etrian Odyssey games. Basically I just want custom parties, and good dungeon crawling, first person perspective is a plus.

Fergus Mac Roich
Nov 5, 2008

Soiled Meat

Im_Special posted:

What are some games to play if I'm looking to get a Wizardry fix? I've played the Wizardy games / Class of Heroes / Etrian Odyssey games. Basically I just want custom parties, and good dungeon crawling, first person perspective is a plus.

The Dark Spire for some Wizardry rear end Wizardry. There's even a mode that makes it look like 1982. Also it's a bit obvious but if you haven't played Might & Magic you should.

Im_Special
Jan 2, 2011

Look At This!!! WOW!
It's F*cking Nothing.

Fergus Mac Roich posted:

The Dark Spire for some Wizardry rear end Wizardry. There's even a mode that makes it look like 1982. Also it's a bit obvious but if you haven't played Might & Magic you should.

Holy crap The Dark Spires game looks awesome and exactly the fix I ws looking for, why haven't I heard about this game until now. And yeah I've played the M&M games more times then I can count, also Grimrock.

Im_Special fucked around with this message at 20:43 on Nov 20, 2012

Fergus Mac Roich
Nov 5, 2008

Soiled Meat
I never beat it but I liked The Dark Spire a lot. To be honest, though, once you start playing it you'll know immediately why you haven't heard about it. Much moreso than Etrian Odyssey, it apes Wizardry, warts and all.

Tyskil
Jan 28, 2009
Can anyone recommend any games in the xcom/silent storm/jagged alliance genre with cooperative multiplayer, or something close to that effect? About the only thing I can think of that scratches the same itch is Valkryia Chronicles 2, which I've already played pretty much to death.

Urdnot Fire
Feb 13, 2012

Tyskil posted:

Can anyone recommend any games in the xcom/silent storm/jagged alliance genre with cooperative multiplayer, or something close to that effect? About the only thing I can think of that scratches the same itch is Valkryia Chronicles 2, which I've already played pretty much to death.
Check out Natural Selection 2, it's phenomenal.

v Whoops, should've read more carefully :shobon:

Urdnot Fire fucked around with this message at 02:22 on Nov 21, 2012

MrBims
Sep 25, 2007

by Ralp

Urdnot Fire posted:

Check out Natural Selection 2, it's phenomenal.

I'm pretty darn sure NS2 is not a turn-based strategy game with cooperative multiplayer, or close to it. Let's not turn NS2 into the new "dorf fortress".

Ray
Sep 5, 2005

is een geheim voor iedereen
Dark Spire gets really easy towards the end because of access to powerful hit-everyone wizard spells and access to multiclassing (to Wizard, obviously). In other words, it's real old-school Wizardry.

Captain Beans
Aug 5, 2004

Whar be the beans?
Hair Elf

Tyskil posted:

Co-op tactical TBS are pretty rare and I don't think xcom/silent storm/JA even offer co-op, only PVP.

Most stuff that is turn based and offer co-op are gonna be more strategic level stuff. Civ5, Hearts of Iron 2(close enough to TBS). You could try Battle for Wesnoth which is a free TBS sort of like Fire Emblem, pretty drat good for a free game. All of the Combat Mission games will let you play co-op vs an AI team and they are very similar to Valkyria Chronicles except a bit more spegy, excellent games though and have some good multiplayer demos to try.

Also maybe try games that are real time but easy pause(which make it almost function like a TBS) for that co-op itch. Freedom Force is cheap on steam where you can co-op play with a team of super heroes to fight nazis and dinosaurs by throwing telephone booths at them. Shogun 2 will let you play 2 different factions on the world strategy map and then share units and pause for decisions in the real time battles.

I had no idea Valkryia Chronicles 2 had multiplayer and co-op though, that is pretty cool.

Captain Beans fucked around with this message at 03:49 on Nov 21, 2012

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

Im_Special posted:

For indies you might have missed, Sword and Sorcery Underworld and Devil Whiskey are both grand. Frayed Knights is good fun if the humour is your cup of tea and you don't mind a pre-set (but highly customisable!) party. The Elder Scrolls: Battlespire is single-character and real-time, but offers some fantastic dungeon crawling. DW Bradley's Wizards and Warriors is... well, it's a Wizardry game by another name, can't go wrong with it.

regulargonzalez
Aug 18, 2006
UNGH LET ME LICK THOSE BOOTS DADDY HULU ;-* ;-* ;-* YES YES GIVE ME ALL THE CORPORATE CUMMIES :shepspends: :shepspends: :shepspends: ADBLOCK USERS DESERVE THE DEATH PENALTY, DON'T THEY DADDY?
WHEN THE RICH GET RICHER I GET HORNIER :a2m::a2m::a2m::a2m:

Have there been any decent management / simulation style games made in the last few years ala SimCity-style sim (not tank / submarine / aircraft style sims)?

Games I liked:
Hollywood Mogul 2 and 3 (some of the most spreadsheety-type games ever but loads of fun)
Theme Park
Sim City
Baseball Mogul (another very dry and data oriented game ... this type of game is fine but not necessary as SimCity and Theme Park are the opposite but still a lot of fun)
Tropico 4

Games I didn't like:
The Movies
The Sims
Vegas: Make it Big (not as accessible as Theme Park, not as compelling as SimCity)
Dwarf Fortress (learning curve was just too high for me to enjoy it)

Indie is fine, as long as it's well made -- Hollywood Mogul 3 is as indie as it gets and is one of my favorites. I do own Crusader Kings II and should probably get around to playing it eventually but am open to suggestions.
Thanks!

regulargonzalez
Aug 18, 2006
UNGH LET ME LICK THOSE BOOTS DADDY HULU ;-* ;-* ;-* YES YES GIVE ME ALL THE CORPORATE CUMMIES :shepspends: :shepspends: :shepspends: ADBLOCK USERS DESERVE THE DEATH PENALTY, DON'T THEY DADDY?

Im_Special posted:

GOG has the Might and Magic complete pack available and they are some of my favorite games. MM 3 is great but you're getting pretty primitive at that point, 4+5 is a classic and not quite as primitive, and 6+ are almost on the verge of not being retro.

As was recommended earlier Devil Whiskey is decent, it's from the (original) Bard's Tale guy iirc.

For more modern, I've heard good things about Legend of Grimrock but haven't picked it up yet. $15 on Steam.

itsnice2bnice
Mar 21, 2010

regulargonzalez posted:

Maybe try Gnomoria instead? It's kinda like Dwarf Fortress, but it has actual graphics as well as a functioning UI.

There's a demo you can download from the Gnomoria site so you can try it out first.

Heavy Lobster
Oct 24, 2010

:gowron::m10:
Are there any really chill space sim-ish games out there? I recently realized that my favorite part of the Mass Effect series is just wandering out somewhere, exploring moonscapes, scanning for minerals, maybe hitting up a sidequest, and just kind of looking out at space and thinking about how cool it is. Most of the space-game genre seems to be pretty fast-paced or more focused on either RTS gameplay or dogfighting, though. Anything not like that that I should be on the lookout for?

a 16 year old girl posted:

Maybe try Gnomoria instead? It's kinda like Dwarf Fortress, but it has actual graphics as well as a functioning UI.

There's a demo you can download from the Gnomoria site so you can try it out first.

On this note, is Towns any good? I know the version on Steam now is apparently buggy as hell but is being updated, but does it actually show any promise for when it's all up and running?

itsnice2bnice
Mar 21, 2010

There's a thread about Towns which has a bit of discussion on the last couple of pages about whether the game is currently worth purchasing or not.

The comedy options for chill space games are either Kerbal Space Program or Space Engine.

Japanese Dating Sim
Nov 12, 2003

hehe
Lipstick Apathy

Heavy Lobster posted:

Are there any really chill space sim-ish games out there? I recently realized that my favorite part of the Mass Effect series is just wandering out somewhere, exploring moonscapes, scanning for minerals, maybe hitting up a sidequest, and just kind of looking out at space and thinking about how cool it is. Most of the space-game genre seems to be pretty fast-paced or more focused on either RTS gameplay or dogfighting, though. Anything not like that that I should be on the lookout for?

A weird suggestion, but EVE Online? You'll never leave your ship and every zone looks identical to the one before it, for the most part (which is kind of accurate, I guess), but as far as being able to fly around and do whatever you want in space goes, it's pretty good for that. Might be worth a trial?

Also there's always X3 (which I never got into but goons swear up and down by it, it's just hard to get into) and Freespace (if you don't mind the graphics being dated).

And, as an odd-ball suggestion, FTL. It's fast-paced but not in the dogfighting department. http://www.ftlgame.com/ Check the video.

Japanese Dating Sim fucked around with this message at 15:01 on Nov 22, 2012

Electrical Fire
Mar 29, 2010

Ularg posted:

Thanks, I'll run that by them. Also, wasn't there a co-op game that was players of a space ship that control different parts?

You're probably thinking of Artemis. I haven't played it yet, but me and my roommates will hopefully be trying it out soon, it seems like a lot of fun. There is a thread for it where you can get info from people who have actually played:

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3460240&userid=0&perpage=40&pagenumber=1

thrakkorzog
Nov 16, 2007

regulargonzalez posted:

Have there been any decent management / simulation style games made in the last few years ala SimCity-style sim (not tank / submarine / aircraft style sims)?

Games I liked:
Hollywood Mogul 2 and 3 (some of the most spreadsheety-type games ever but loads of fun)
Theme Park
Sim City
Baseball Mogul (another very dry and data oriented game ... this type of game is fine but not necessary as SimCity and Theme Park are the opposite but still a lot of fun)
Tropico 4

Games I didn't like:
The Movies
The Sims
Vegas: Make it Big (not as accessible as Theme Park, not as compelling as SimCity)

Indie is fine, as long as it's well made -- Hollywood Mogul 3 is as indie as it gets and is one of my favorites. I do own Crusader Kings II and should probably get around to playing it eventually but am open to suggestions.
Thanks!

It's a bit older, but it might you might want to check out Evil Genius. Steam has it on sale for $5. It's also available on GOG for $10 if you prefer them.

regulargonzalez
Aug 18, 2006

thrakkorzog posted:

It's a bit older, but it might you might want to check out Evil Genius. Steam has it on sale for $5. It's also available on GOG for $10 if you prefer them.

I forgot to include it in my post but I already own it. Thanks for the suggestion though :)

Liberatore
Nov 16, 2010

Would you like
to know more?

When (that's no) moon hits this guy like a big Twi'lek guy: Liberatore!

regulargonzalez posted:

Games I liked:
Theme Park
Sim City
Tropico 4

Games I didn't like:
The Movies
The Sims

Thanks!

Anno 2070; Settlers 7; Patrician IV; Cities XL; Cities in Motion; Gnomoria; Towns.

I haven't played Gnomoria and Settlers 7 yet, but out of the other games listed, the only one I would consider 'good' is Anno 2070. And the previous Anno games follow suit. The others are pretty average, but they might still scratch that itch.

If you end up liking Crusader Kings II, check out other Paradox grand strategy games, like Europa Universalis III, Victoria 2 and Hearts of Iron II. None of them are as accessible as CK2, but they're still pretty fun games.

joshtothemaxx
Nov 17, 2008

I will have a whole army of zombies! A zombie Marine Corps, a zombie Navy Corps, zombie Space Cadets...

regulargonzalez posted:

Games I liked:
Theme Park
Sim City
Tropico 4

Games I didn't like:
The Movies
The Sims

Thanks!

Building on Baseball Mogul... how do you feel about soccer? The Football Manager series is way, way deeper and better than any baseball sim out there.

Ularg
Mar 2, 2010

Just tell me I'm exotic.

Electrical Fire posted:

You're probably thinking of Artemis. I haven't played it yet, but me and my roommates will hopefully be trying it out soon, it seems like a lot of fun. There is a thread for it where you can get info from people who have actually played:

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3460240&userid=0&perpage=40&pagenumber=1

Can I use Hamachi to play with my internet pals?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Electrical Fire
Mar 29, 2010

Ularg posted:

Can I use Hamachi to play with my internet pals?

Yeah, you can use Hamachi and Skype/Ventrilo/whatever to play with internet friends.