Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Vegetable
Oct 22, 2010

kiimo posted:

Same thing with the trees in Vader's mask.
I just saw that

woah

Here's some lens flare

Vegetable fucked around with this message at 02:46 on Nov 21, 2012

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

kiimo posted:

Eh, that one doesn't really work as well for me. Maybe he should have done something with the Death Star or the shuttle or the dish or something instead.

PriorMarcus
Oct 17, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT BEING ALLERGIC TO POSITIVITY

kiimo posted:

I feel like, while this one is visually cool, it feels a little strained.

It's the only one where two iconic shapes aren't coming together - it's just one shape made from something else.

It's also the one one where the foreground is used as part of the larger image.

I feel like, maybe it would've been better if the ATST layer had been brought forward and the tree layer pushed back one.

casa de mi padre
Sep 3, 2012
Black people are the real racists!
To be fair ROTJ has the least iconic imagery of the three films. And Vader's mask is hard to make recognizable in an outline while also making the composition good. I think he did the best that could be done with those constraints and the colors are pretty at least. :shobon:

PriorMarcus
Oct 17, 2008

casa de mi padre posted:

To be fair ROTJ has the least iconic imagery of the three films. And Vader's mask is hard to make recognizable in an outline while also making the composition good. I think he did the best that could be done with those constraints and the colors are pretty at least. :shobon:

Yeah, I couldn't of done any better.

Hey, kiimo, I've always meant to ask how someone would get into your line of work - I've done design work in the past, for the local council, some national companies, and it's been well regarded, but never really thought about moving into poster and film logo design...

Lizard Combatant
Sep 29, 2010

I have some notes.
I like the RotJ poster. If I'd never seen Star Wars I'd probably think it's about Future Samurai or something, which isn't so far off the mark.

Trump
Jul 16, 2003

Cute
I love how the simple outline of Mos Eisley has more atmosphere and life than any of the background cityscapes we got in either the special editions or the prequels.

Saturniid19
Aug 1, 2006
brought to you by North Central Positronics

muscles like this? posted:

I believe the creator of those got a c/d letter from Lucasfilm. That was a while back though.

You might be thinking of these:

PriorMarcus
Oct 17, 2008

Saturniid19 posted:

You might be thinking of these:

Well at least no one is missing out by not being able to buy those.

beanieson
Sep 25, 2008

I had the opportunity to change literally anything about the world and I used it to get a new av
Eh, I kinda like them. The silhouette posters (empire in particular) are much nicer though.

tofes
Mar 31, 2011

#1 Milpitas Dave and Buster's superfan since 2013

Ez posted:

Also it took me a second to realize that C3PO's eyes were the twin moons of Tatooine which then made me like it even more.

Twin suns :science:

Lizard Combatant
Sep 29, 2010

I have some notes.

tofes posted:

Thank you. I didn't want to be that guy (I am always that guy).

Desperado Bones
Aug 29, 2009

Cute, adorable, and creepy at the same time!

Vegetable posted:

I just saw that

woah

Here's some lens flare

Oh dear God! That's the best done lens flare ever. It even hurts my eyes when I see it!

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Vegetable posted:

I just saw that

woah

Here's some lens flare

The one thing I don't like about this movie is that they rereleased the book with this as the cover.

Thankfully I got the version before, which has this cover:

caligulamprey
Jan 23, 2007

It never stops.

computer parts posted:

The one thing I don't like about this movie is that they rereleased the book with this as the cover.
For the longest time, I refused to buy any sort of book with a movie tie-in cover because I was so self-conscious about being judged as someone who jumped into the book just because the movie was coming out - which to be fair was probably true. Eventually I understood that who gives a poo poo, we're on a bus, no one's judging me.

Cloud Atlas though, that was a tough one.

404GoonNotFound
Aug 6, 2006

The McRib is back!?!?

Desperado Bones posted:

Oh dear God! That's the best done lens flare ever. It even hurts my eyes when I see it!

Somewhere, Hugh Grant sheds a single tear.

Mister Chief
Jun 6, 2011

A Bad Poster.

Lizard Combatant
Sep 29, 2010

I have some notes.
That font is the most efficient way to communicate "This will loving blow!".

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

Goddamnit, I had completely forgotten that I'd seen the preview for that movie until now :negative:

The Saddest Rhino
Apr 29, 2009

Put it all together.
Solve the world.
One conversation at a time.

A Haunted House? Why don't they just continue the staple of "X Movie"?

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

The Saddest Rhino posted:

Say... scary?

sub supau
Aug 28, 2007

The Saddest Rhino posted:

Because they already made Scary Movie and no-one wants to be associated with Friedberg and Seltzer?

The Saddest Rhino
Apr 29, 2009

Put it all together.
Solve the world.
One conversation at a time.

TetsuoTW posted:

Because they already made Scary Movie and no-one wants to be associated with Friedberg and Seltzer?

I was under the impression those Friedberg/Seltzer movies are huge moneymakers regardless of quality and people still want to watch them.

(I thought the obvious choice would be "Paranormal Movie")

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
I'm aggressively wrong about everything!
Cedric the Entertainer is still alive? For some reason I thought he died years ago. I think I got him and Bernie Mac fused together in my mind. Or that maybe he was the third of the Bernie Mac/Isaac Hayes death set, because celebrities always die in threes.

Ez
Mar 26, 2007

Drink! Feck! Arse! Girls!

tofes posted:

That's what I meant. Stupid mistake.

DNS
Mar 11, 2009

by Smythe

Mister Chief posted:

A Bad Poster.

4:20 AM. Delicious.

Moongrave
Jun 19, 2004

Finally Living Rent Free

A fairly lazy/poorly done poster, but try guessing what the movie is about from the visuals/tagline. (Don't cheat!)

Not getting/knowing it is the point of the poster.

Vegetable
Oct 22, 2010

The unnatural shape of that head really freaks me out.

Baron Bifford
May 24, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 2 years!

casa de mi padre posted:

Yeah, Pixar/Dreamworks/Disney can have some stinkers... but let's take a look at the bargain bin stocking stuffers the orphans get for Christmas.

I especially enjoy the creepy bastardization of the Dreamworks smirk in the last one.

In case anyone wants to know what they look like on screen:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kuv9WiQLv6g
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gRnw7RGzq9I
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8zaC9TwMugg

The cover art for The Frog Prince is misleading because the tale is set in Africa.

Baron Bifford fucked around with this message at 19:33 on Nov 22, 2012

Red_Museum
Apr 17, 2011

Shredded Hen

OLIVIAS WILDE RIDER posted:

A fairly lazy/poorly done poster, but try guessing what the movie is about from the visuals/tagline. (Don't cheat!)

Not getting/knowing it is the point of the poster.

Knew it without cheating

Happened a couple of hours away from where I live

davidspackage
May 16, 2007

Nap Ghost

Cleretic posted:

Cedric the Entertainer is still alive? For some reason I thought he died years ago. I think I got him and Bernie Mac fused together in my mind. Or that maybe he was the third of the Bernie Mac/Isaac Hayes death set, because celebrities always die in threes.

Whenever I read Cedric the Entertainer, the irony of that name almost kills me.

GonSmithe
Apr 25, 2010

Perhaps it's in the nature of television. Just waves in space.
Just a heads up, Mondo is going to be doing something for Black Friday. Last year they had Olly Moss' My Neighbor Totoro posters:

They don't announce what it's going to be, just that there is going to be something.

Also, Joshua Budich is doing a "mystery tube sale" on Monday, where you pay $45, get 3 of his prints randomly, and some of them will have a rare 4th print included from this:

http://www.joshuabudich.com/store/

Ross Perowned
Jun 14, 2012

Shit in my hand and say yeah

GonSmithe posted:

Just a heads up, Mondo is going to be doing something for Black Friday. Last year they had Olly Moss' My Neighbor Totoro posters

You think they will annouce it on Twitter when it's available, or is this super-special where I have to :f5: all day to have a chance to get it?

Ross Perowned fucked around with this message at 23:38 on Nov 21, 2012

Noxville
Dec 7, 2003

Momotaros posted:

You think they will annouce it on Twitter when it's available, or is this super-special where I have to :f5: all day from 5am til 10pm to have a chance to get it?

It's Mondo, so I'd expect the latter.

GonSmithe
Apr 25, 2010

Perhaps it's in the nature of television. Just waves in space.
They're almost definitely announcing it on twitter.

Bloody Hedgehog
Dec 12, 2003

💥💥🤯💥💥
Gotta nuke something

GonSmithe posted:

They're almost definitely announcing it on twitter.

By the time they announce it, most will already be sold. Never go by the Twitter announcement. They put the stuff up for sale and then make the Twitter post. Since this stuff sells out in seconds, by the time the Tweet is posted your chances of getting something are slim.

tofes
Mar 31, 2011

#1 Milpitas Dave and Buster's superfan since 2013
I don't know if it's because Mondo's website sucks or if it's just because it's so popular but I never have been able to buy anything from them.

Bloody Hedgehog
Dec 12, 2003

💥💥🤯💥💥
Gotta nuke something
Hmmm, what's that? A scar? Nope, Tina Fey never had a scar on her face. You must be mistaken.

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
To be fair, they really downplay it in her makeup on 30 Rock.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zzulu
May 15, 2009

(▰˘v˘▰)
Didn't know she had a scar at all