Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

speng31b
May 8, 2010

Say what you will about Molyneux, the pitch video for Godus did a good job of making fun of his habit of, erm, exaggeration. It made me chuckle, definitely worth following at the very least.

"Ten gods! Twenty gods! All of the gods fighting!" with the technical director sitting there going, "no, dude, eight. We're doing eight."

e: That said I would have definitely liked a more substantive explanation of what they're planning. "Return to the glory days of god games" is all I got out of that.

speng31b fucked around with this message at 21:23 on Nov 21, 2012

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Megazver
Jan 13, 2006
I actually like the new Thorvalla update. You'll still recruit companions with fully detailed personalities into your party, but you'll be the one to pick their class and generate their stats when they join.

Maluco Marinero
Jan 18, 2001

Damn that's a
fine elephant.

fondue posted:

Sorry, Populous is my nostalgia game #2 (my top nostalgia game is Homeworld). He's already got my money.

loving hell. Anyone who is reading please stop doing this right now. People who promise the world and have a track record that shows they can't deliver don't deserve enablers who just hear <nostalgic game name> and furiously open their wallets in a desperate hope to recreate that experience.

People aren't getting burnt out on Kickstarter. They're getting burnt out on has beens cashing in with zero substance kickstarters where literally the only thing they have going for them is the naming rights to a game older than a decade. Small studios deserve your attention much more than these nostalgia hawks. They actually need to put in a genuine effort to build a prototype and visualizations to show off their concept and idea, and these are the guys Kickstarter was actually made for.

speng31b
May 8, 2010

Maluco Marinero posted:

loving hell. Anyone who is reading please stop doing this right now. People who promise the world and have a track record that shows they can't deliver don't deserve enablers who just hear <nostalgic game name> and furiously open their wallets in a desperate hope to recreate that experience.

People aren't getting burnt out on Kickstarter. They're getting burnt out on has beens cashing in with zero substance kickstarters where literally the only thing they have going for them is the naming rights to a game older than a decade. Small studios deserve your attention much more than these nostalgia hawks. They actually need to put in a genuine effort to build a prototype and visualizations to show off their concept and idea, and these are the guys Kickstarter was actually made for.

I think you're making a lot of false assumptions. My suspicion would be that old-schoolers bringing in big nostalgia Kickstarters have more of a positive impact on the ecosystem than negative. Big guys announcing big names bring media coverage to Kickstarter and get new users/reinvigorate people who had gotten bored of browsing KS.

A drought of notable content actually most likely hurts Kickstarter a lot more than anything else. Keep in mind that with KS the letdown, if it happens, is gradual and doesn't happen til sometime way down the line when -- let's be honest -- most backers will have probably forgotten to the point where it won't evoke much of a concerted lashback against the developers, let alone Kickstarter itself.

Maluco Marinero
Jan 18, 2001

Damn that's a
fine elephant.
This is what I mean by people not getting burnt out on Kickstarter though. It's not negatively reflecting on KS, it's just that they're tired of big announcements about nostalgia bait. Maybe it helps rather than hurts, but I hate seeing that much money go to a developer who barely puts any effort in to prove they can do it.

As has been said a couple of times in this thread too, KS really doesn't do a lot to support projects that have slow starts or just won't make it. All of it's display filters are based on popularity, funding success, or ending days where if they didn't make most of it they aren't going to make it. KS as a platform doesn't do poo poo to support the little guys, they need to market themselves. I think there may be an overestimation of having the big guys around helping the little guys, might be worth trawling kicktraq. You could probably correlate big launches and how they effect other small projects.

speng31b
May 8, 2010

I don't think the public in general is tired of big announcements -- there may be some complaints, especially when it comes to people like Molyneux who are already controversial, but I think it attracts more attention than annoyance. It's also worth mentioning that a big arguably overhyped game project is what made Kickstarter what it is today. But yeah, if I were really interested in proving a relationship I could sift through kicktraq.

miguelito
Oct 5, 2012

I'm WILD about
WILDMAN
(ask me about sexy shaving)
Funny enough, I keep seeing people bringing up Maia when talking about Peter's newest endeavor. I admit that comparisons between those two just made it more interesting to me. Trickle-down economics? I don't know.

Boiled Water posted:

I wish kickstarter was more like the old olympics where professionals couldn't enter.

That, and all participants should present themselves to the public butt-naked and covered in olive oil.

Maluco Marinero
Jan 18, 2001

Damn that's a
fine elephant.

octoroon posted:

I don't think the public in general is tired of big announcements -- there may be some complaints, especially when it comes to people like Molyneux who are already controversial, but I think it attracts more attention than annoyance. It's also worth mentioning that a big arguably overhyped game project is what made Kickstarter what it is today. But yeah, if I were really interested in proving a relationship I could sift through kicktraq.

Public in general I agree. I'm more talking in relation to those who are talking about being burnt out here on the forums. I concede that DFA was certainly a huge kickoff for Kickstarter as a platform for games, but it also started with a modest realistic goal. Would FTL or Castle Story have been as successful without DFA existing, possibly not, but I think only because it made people more comfortable with the idea of crowd funding for games, not for a trickle down effect. They were already good pitches that would have gotten attention regardless, in my opinion anyway.

Maluco Marinero fucked around with this message at 21:58 on Nov 21, 2012

speng31b
May 8, 2010

Maluco Marinero posted:

Public in general I agree. I'm more talking in relation to those who are talking about being burnt out here on the forums. I concede that DFA was certainly a huge kickoff for Kickstarter as a platform for games, but it also started with a modest realistic goal. Would FTL or Castle Story have been as successful without DFA existing, possibly not, but I think only because it made people more comfortable with the idea of crowd funding for games, not for a trickle down effect. They were already good pitches that would have gotten attention regardless, in my opinion anyway.

I wasn't insinuating some sort of trickle down effect, just that the website as a whole needs big-name recognition to keep its traffic up. I wouldn't try to extrapolate from that any sort of short-term effect that a single big-name project has on concurrent smaller projects -- but without any of the bigger ones, Kickstarter would almost certainly be a much less effective tool. Even the gimmicks contribute to that.

I consider myself to be a somewhat literate user of Kickstarter, and I get annoyed at bad pitches and botched or hollow concepts, but sometimes I recognize that the ones I wouldn't touch with a ten foot pole are still great traffic boosters.

Maluco Marinero
Jan 18, 2001

Damn that's a
fine elephant.
Fair enough. Can't really argue our points any further without trawling through kicktraq so I'm happy to leave it at that.

dirby
Sep 21, 2004

Helping goons with math

CrookedB posted:

Speaking of the soon-to-be-launched Barkley, Shut Up and Jam: Gaiden 2 kickstarter, I've had the pleasure of interviewing Chef Boyardee about it. For those interested, the interview has a lot of exclusive info and a bunch of Barkley 2 screenshots: http://www.rpgcodex.net/content.php?id=8632

that interview posted:

We set the goal for $35,000 because this is a realistic number that we think we can reach
That's peanuts. If they don't double that in the first 24 hours I'll buy myself some dumb custom title or something.

evilmiera
Dec 14, 2009

As someone who backs stuff, be it nostalgic or not as long as they have a cool pitch or as a result of random inebriation I fully support this new godgame.

Now to find some way to sell a kidney to be able to afford support for this and Shut up and jam Gaiden 2 both. Oh, and let's not forget Shadowgate, Maia, Spud's Quest, and post-kickstarter backingupgrades for Star Citizen.

Trapezium Dave
Oct 22, 2012

Populous was a great old-school game, but I can't shake off that "reinvention of Populous" was exactly how Black & White was pitched before it succumbed to development hell and morphed into a half-baked pet simulator.

Now if they were pitching a remake of Magic Carpet, they would instantly have my money.

Shalinor
Jun 10, 2002

Can I buy you a rootbeer?

helopticor posted:

That's peanuts. If they don't double that in the first 24 hours I'll buy myself some dumb custom title or something.
Nah, I'll give you the title, and you can give the money to some needy indie Kickstarter.

... but man. It will be some title, I tell you what. Not that this will come to pass, because yeah, Barkley Shut Up And Jam is going to make $40k easy.

EDIT: VV :hfive:

fronz
Apr 7, 2009

Lipstick Apathy

helopticor posted:

Instead, put that extra $5 towards the Kickstarter and mod abuse yourself a dumb custom title :)

MrBims
Sep 25, 2007

by Ralp

evilmiera posted:

As someone who backs stuff, be it nostalgic or not as long as they have a cool pitch or as a result of random inebriation I fully support this new godgame.

Now to find some way to sell a kidney to be able to afford support for this and Shut up and jam Gaiden 2 both. Oh, and let's not forget Shadowgate, Maia, Spud's Quest, and post-kickstarter backingupgrades for Star Citizen.

Your gimmick wasn't funny the first half-dozen times.

evilmiera posted:

And your problem is you aren't kickstarting enough!

I'm sure I'll probably be able to make rent next month. Maybe.

Maybe you can find me a new project to support to change that :)

evilmiera posted:

It's like you took the words right out of my mouth. I was coming to post this and found I'd just missed the mark. Put down 50 after the Obsidian one as I just got sent basically that amount by my brother to pay an earlier debt. All out of money for backing after that.

evilmiera posted:

Well, they haven't said anything awful enough to make me want to pull my pledge yet. And honestly at this point I think they're just saying whatever they think will pull in any money at all.

We'll see what they eventually come up with if they manage to scrounge up enough late backers, I suppose. I've wasted money on worse pitches!

evilmiera posted:

Well, I'd love to pledge more, especially to pitches that really appeal to me. But what with having pledged so much already these last few months, most of my reserves are gone, and I have to worry about making money again for the next month at the very least.

I'd say I could start pledging properly again sometime after Christmas, where most of my funds will hopefully be spent getting presents/donating to worthy causes.

evilmiera posted:

Man, you can't have me cancel my pledges! These people need me! Can't you see that ? :smith: They just want my support, I'm not a bad guy. I just wanna spend inordinate amounts of money on wild chances at seeing my childhood again :(

In all seriousness, I usually go over my economy well enough in advance that I'll know how much I can afford to lose each month. Usually. Worst case scenario I'll just have to try and convince everyone that owes me money that random game developers they've never heard of needs the cash more than they do.

Edit: vvvv Actually what's probably going to happen is I'll use the money to back something like what SA did last year, supporting a Haitian school and donating to Japan after that earthquake struck. I'm only partially serious when I say I'm addicted to Kickstarting. Partially.

evilmiera posted:

Phew, Hero-U did indeed reach the set goal, even when I lowered my pledge for walletary-reasons.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Shalinor
Jun 10, 2002

MrBims posted:

Your gimmick wasn't funny the first half-dozen times.
Your giant posting-about-posting quote wall was even less funny.

Orzo
Sep 3, 2004

IT! IT is confusing! Say your goddamn pronouns!
I thought it was kind of funny.

But not as funny as the STATUS: NEUROTYPICAL at the bottom of one of the Barkley 2 screenshots.

Uncle Wemus
Mar 4, 2004

What was that game that looked like a cross between Minecraft and 3D Dot Game Heroes? Was that even a kickstarter?

Durp
Jan 6, 2008
I think I get it now.

Uncle Wemus posted:

What was that game that looked like a cross between Minecraft and 3D Dot Game Heroes? Was that even a kickstarter?

You're thinking of Cube World (thread) but as far as I know there is no planned Kickstarter.

Bieeanshee
Aug 21, 2000

Not keen on keening.

Grimey Drawer

miguelito posted:

That, and all participants should present themselves to the public butt-naked and covered in olive oil.

I would help Kickstart a traditional pankration match between Molyneux and a randomly chosen indie developer.

DStecks
Feb 6, 2012

Peter Molyneux is the loving teflon game designer. The Fable fiasco would have been a career killer for absolutely anybody else (see: Spore and Will Wright), but he was allowed to do it twice more with no consequences. I do not understand why the media continues to give him the time of day, beyond a total lack of short-term memory. And it's not like Molyneux is a Chris Roberts, returned from the isle of Avalon in his time of need; he's never gone anywhere, like somebody said, Molyneux does not need Kickstarter.

Fergus Mac Roich
Nov 5, 2008

Soiled Meat
Curiosity is really cool though.

coffeetable
Feb 5, 2006

TELL ME AGAIN HOW GREAT BRITAIN WOULD BE IF IT WAS RULED BY THE MERCILESS JACKBOOT OF PRINCE CHARLES

YES I DO TALK TO PLANTS ACTUALLY
/\/\ What? No it isn't. It's everything you've ever hated about games, distilled.

Molyneux has gotten full publisher funding to make such a game twice, and he hosed it up. Never mind that he's one of the richest men in the industry, so he should put his money where his mouth is already.

There's some definition of insanity in that it's doing the same thing multiple times and expecting a different outcome. Donating to GODUS is insanity.

Transient People
Dec 22, 2011

"When a man thinketh on anything whatsoever, his next thought after is not altogether so casual as it seems to be. Not every thought to every thought succeeds indifferently."
- Thomas Hobbes, Leviathan
Because he made the Populous series, the first Black and White, Dungeon Keeper, Themee Park, and had a hand in Magic Carpet and Syndicate too. If that list doesn't help explain why people are always willing to give him another chance I don't know what to say. It's funny you mentioned Roberts, because his games are basically all Freelancers: they don't deliver the promised goods, but what you get is great anyways so nobody really complains.

Fergus Mac Roich
Nov 5, 2008

Soiled Meat

coffeetable posted:

/\/\ What? No it isn't. It's everything you've ever hated about games, distilled.

But it's not a game so that's cool.

Chainclaw
Feb 14, 2009

I thought the Fable games were pretty good, at least the first two were, never played the third. Populous, Dungeon Keeper were both fantastic. Black and White we got burned on a bit, I hadn't learned that he makes stuff up for interviews at that point, but Black and White was still an interesting and different game. Curiosity is a cool little experiment, and a great way to iterate on complicated back end server tech in a simple environment. I thought Peter Molyneux was generally loved, not hated. While he always gets way too excited and makes up features for his games in interviews, he has always just been so excited. Also, he fully endorses the satire twitter account based on him, and even showed up a bit for the Molyjam this summer, which was great.

It looks like an OK Kickstarter game, but I'm more excited about the Barkley RPG sequel thing, and I'm waiting on that as the next game I contribute to.

speng31b
May 8, 2010

DStecks posted:

Peter Molyneux is the loving teflon game designer. The Fable fiasco would have been a career killer for absolutely anybody else (see: Spore and Will Wright), but he was allowed to do it twice more with no consequences. I do not understand why the media continues to give him the time of day, beyond a total lack of short-term memory. And it's not like Molyneux is a Chris Roberts, returned from the isle of Avalon in his time of need; he's never gone anywhere, like somebody said, Molyneux does not need Kickstarter.

I think you're underestimating how hard it is to kill a designer with name recognition in the industry. Only a handful of people have that, and if their career seems to "end" at any point afterwards for any reason short of full-body paralysis it is purely by their own choice. Using Will Wright is a terrible example because he isn't exactly unemployed. Just because he is not currently the frontman on a public title doesn't mean that he isn't living quite comfortably and doing pretty close to exactly what he wants to be doing. The only reason he isn't making games now is because his game career is tied up in lawsuits and he formed some kind of floofy cross-media thinktank that sounds like a techy endgame dream job so saying that Spore ruined his career is pretty ridiculous.

In fact: http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/120471-Sims-Creator-Will-Wright-Might-Go-Back-to-Making-Games-Soon (Escapist, "Sims-Creator Will Wright Might Go Back to Making Games Soon", 2 November 2012)

Chainclaw posted:

I thought Peter Molyneux was generally loved, not hated. While he always gets way too excited and makes up features for his games in interviews, he has always just been so excited. Also, he fully endorses the satire twitter account based on him, and even showed up a bit for the Molyjam this summer, which was great.

Molyneux is hated by a lot of people for his tendency to overhype. I can see why that would be really bothersome if you took what he said at face value, but knowing this about him in the context of any comment he makes, I mostly just find his excitement endearing.

speng31b fucked around with this message at 02:48 on Nov 22, 2012

Transient People
Dec 22, 2011

"When a man thinketh on anything whatsoever, his next thought after is not altogether so casual as it seems to be. Not every thought to every thought succeeds indifferently."
- Thomas Hobbes, Leviathan
Pretty much, yeah. People dislike his overhyping, but it's not like he's lying to everybody to get his game to sell. It's more like he always tries to make the Game of the Forever and of course misses the mark.

Trapezium Dave
Oct 22, 2012

I enjoyed the first two Fable games too, despite the constant nagging voice in my head pointing out how screwed up the core gameplay is. There's something about the aesthetics of Molyneux games that I really love. But he keeps coming up with core game ideas with potential and, when he gets to the part where he should be refining them down to the core essence of what makes them fun, instead buries them under an avalanche of bullshit gimmicks.

Something like Populous is an indie game developers dream concept; it's an elegant simple idea that a tiny team could whip together and polish in a short amount of time to be amazing if they focused on the core of what made Populous work. I'm not sure they're aiming for that ideal with a larger team and pledge rewards of in-game pets and novelty god powers.

Pivit
Oct 14, 2012

And the Itsy Bitsy Spider
went up the spout again.

I saw Limit Theory in the Star Citizen thread, decided to throw a pledge at him.

Another space sim, this one with procedurally generated content. He has the graphics more or less much done from the sound of it, needs to implement gameplay stuff. Sounds like you can do basically what you want.

The video looks good, impressive for a kid from Stanford.

speng31b
May 8, 2010

Trapezium Dave posted:

I enjoyed the first two Fable games too, despite the constant nagging voice in my head pointing out how screwed up the core gameplay is. There's something about the aesthetics of Molyneux games that I really love. But he keeps coming up with core game ideas with potential and, when he gets to the part where he should be refining them down to the core essence of what makes them fun, instead buries them under an avalanche of bullshit gimmicks.

Something like Populous is an indie game developers dream concept; it's an elegant simple idea that a tiny team could whip together and polish in a short amount of time to be amazing if they focused on the core of what made Populous work. I'm not sure they're aiming for that ideal with a larger team and pledge rewards of in-game pets and novelty god powers.

The success of a Molyneux game basically hinges on whether or not he hired someone with the power to tell him "no." He will feature a creep a game into the dirt if he gets his way; hopefully he's learned to surround himself with people who are capable of keeping that in check.

XboxPants
Jan 30, 2006

Steven doesn't want me watching him sleep anymore.

Transient People posted:

Pretty much, yeah. People dislike his overhyping, but it's not like he's lying to everybody to get his game to sell. It's more like he always tries to make the Game of the Forever and of course misses the mark.

Yeah, his reach does almost always exceed his grasp. And as a result, the games he makes are hugely flawed and don't make for the best products. But, maybe that's not the worst thing. He comes up with all these amazing ideas, and puts them out there in a huge way that no one can ignore... but doesn't finish them. The influence those games, and other incomplete, flawed masterworks like them, have on the field is pretty huge.

Don't get me wrong, I'm not trying to say he's some noble hero who's doing that on purpose, or anything. Nor am I saying anyone should back his game because it might be so bad that it would inspire someone else to make a better one, hah. I'm not planning on backing. And it would probably be better if the games were just made well to begin with.

But, people going out there, trying to build impossible games, and failing spectacularly? Maybe some of that is a good thing.

Pochoclo
Feb 4, 2008

No...
Clapping Larry

Pivit posted:

I saw Limit Theory in the Star Citizen thread, decided to throw a pledge at him.

Another space sim, this one with procedurally generated content. He has the graphics more or less much done from the sound of it, needs to implement gameplay stuff. Sounds like you can do basically what you want.

The video looks good, impressive for a kid from Stanford.

Wow, this certainly sounds close to one of my dream games. Unfortunately, it's wayyyyyyyyyyyy too ambitious, especially if it's just a one-man team. I mean, many companies I considered more than capable of delivering something close to it, have failed, sometimes spectacularly. I guess I'm your typical jaded space sim fan. Though I threw some bucks on the Elite kickstarter, so I guess I'll fund this too anyway.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Pochoclo posted:

Wow, this certainly sounds close to one of my dream games. Unfortunately, it's wayyyyyyyyyyyy too ambitious, especially if it's just a one-man team. I mean, many companies I considered more than capable of delivering something close to it, have failed, sometimes spectacularly. I guess I'm your typical jaded space sim fan. Though I threw some bucks on the Elite kickstarter, so I guess I'll fund this too anyway.

I certainly have more hope for Kinetic Void than I do for this. They're pretty similar looking.

Trapezium Dave
Oct 22, 2012

octoroon posted:

The success of a Molyneux game basically hinges on whether or not he hired someone with the power to tell him "no." He will feature a creep a game into the dirt if he gets his way; hopefully he's learned to surround himself with people who are capable of keeping that in check.
This is what should have been covered in the "Risks and Challenges" section. Just this, in large bold font, at least a dozen times. :colbert:

Node
May 20, 2001

KICKED IN THE COOTER
:dings:
Taco Defender
I am going to mortgage my house, or rather, if I had a house, I would mortgage it so I could pledge ten billion neo-shekels to TMRoTnn:EfN7-RoC:TOGofM-C2ofHBSG.

speng31b
May 8, 2010

MikeJF posted:

I certainly have more hope for Kinetic Void than I do for this. They're pretty similar looking.

Yeah, I was about to say -- Kinetic Void, aside from bearing the Goon Badge of Honor -- looks like it has a lot more direction and coherence. A one-man team who has admittedly built an engine from scratch using SFML for grabbing a context and straight to the bare-metal OpenGL strikes me as a dubious investment. From what I can piece together from his dev diary, he's thrown in a lot of open-source helper libraries but the whole thing seems super shaky, more like something you'd expect to see as a technical piece on a portfolio than a full game. Kinetic Void has a full team and a much more sane approach to development.

Furthermore, his dev diary contains ~2.5 months of entries, which I would still consider below the standard burnout threshold for a solo developer on something like this. Without a team to keep you motivated and in-line I wouldn't trust someone who claims to be a full-time student working on this to manage such an ambitious feat.

speng31b fucked around with this message at 04:59 on Nov 22, 2012

Shalinor
Jun 10, 2002

Greedmonger, that sandbox MMO inspired by the likes of Ultima Online / with supposedly amazing NPC scheduling tech - looks to be doing amazingly well.

... which is totally awesome. Really want to play that game.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

YOURFRIEND
Feb 3, 2009

You're an asshole, Mr. Grinch
You really are a cunt
You're as cuddly as a cockring
and charming being a shitheel

FUCK YOURFRIEND!

Shalinor posted:

Greedmonger, that sandbox MMO inspired by the likes of Ultima Online / with supposedly amazing NPC scheduling tech - looks to be doing amazingly well.

... which is totally awesome. Really want to play that game.

Sounds a little like Wurm Online. Is this the one that's been in development for ages and a goon interned there? I was really hoping they'd do okay.