Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

THE PWNER
Sep 7, 2006

by merry exmarx

Cryohazard posted:

Because it's an interesting premise for a game, and not everyone is a programmer/artist/musician/space marine. Seriously, if a project seems promising, and the guy has the integrity to use the donations to directly improve his game, why does it matter?

What is the money going to though with such a high percentage of it being assets pillaged from the community? I don't think there was anything in the trailer I hadn't seen before when I screwed around with RPG Maker a couple years ago, aside from the main characters sprite. It's not like it's costly to read some tutorials on basic scripting and download someone elses battle system.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wendell
May 11, 2003

I'm glad Hero U ended up reaching its goal, it was really cutting it close.

Megazver
Jan 13, 2006

Wendell posted:

Yeah. I didn't have enough faith in the project to give them money, but I'm glad we'll get to see if they can actually make a good game.

Thorvalla, on the other hand, has zero loving momentum whatsoever.

Dragonrah
Aug 22, 2003

J.C. Bearington, III

Wendell posted:

I'm not going to lie, I wanted this to fail.

100k stretch goal for a Companion Meep, no thanks.

evilmiera
Dec 14, 2009

Phew, Hero-U did indeed reach the set goal, even when I lowered my pledge for walletary-reasons.

Now to somehow find 5000 bucks to pledge to Spud's quest to get them over the line, and then see about adding more money to the Shadowgate kickstarter out of my magical infinite moneypit that Quarex so neatly provided.

Wendell
May 11, 2003

Dragonrah posted:

I'm not going to lie, I wanted this to fail.

100k stretch goal for a Companion Meep, no thanks.

Well that's pretty pointlessly spiteful.

Dragonrah
Aug 22, 2003

J.C. Bearington, III

Wendell posted:

Well that's pretty pointlessly spiteful.

I have zero confidence they can produce anything worthwhile.
For the record, QfG4 is my favorite game. It's not like I have irrational hate or anything, I just think they are past relevance. More than anything, I think they are wasting 400k. If I’m wrong, I’ll gladly buy the final product.

Dr. Quarex
Apr 18, 2003

I'M A BIG DORK WHO POSTS TOO MUCH ABOUT CONVENTIONS LOOK AT THIS

TOVA TOVA TOVA

Tarquinn posted:

On the topic of Guido Henkel; he's actually the guy on the cover of the Planescape: Torment box.
Backing justified.

evilmiera posted:

Now to somehow find 5000 bucks to pledge to Spud's quest to get them over the line, and then see about adding more money to the Shadowgate kickstarter out of my magical infinite moneypit that Quarex so neatly provided.
You only need hope and wish super-hard and it will appear.

Orzo
Sep 3, 2004

IT! IT is confusing! Say your goddamn pronouns!
Spuds quest will never get funded because it doesn't have enough concept art!

TLG James
Jun 5, 2000

Questing ain't easy
I'm so glad it made it. Honestly if it's an enjoyable game is all that I'm hoping for.

Furry Hunter
May 5, 2005
Professional Fursecutor

TLG James posted:

I'm so glad it made it. Honestly if it's an enjoyable game is all that I'm hoping for.

I backed their project. The Cole's come off as old school software hippies, but I am curious as to what they can deliver. I have never played the QFG games, are they worth $10 on GoG? My only experience with old school RPGs was 'The Bard's Tale' on the Commodore 64.

speng31b
May 8, 2010

THE PWNER posted:

What is the money going to though with such a high percentage of it being assets pillaged from the community? I don't think there was anything in the trailer I hadn't seen before when I screwed around with RPG Maker a couple years ago, aside from the main characters sprite. It's not like it's costly to read some tutorials on basic scripting and download someone elses battle system.

Well, it depends. Free art is fine for a prototype and the Kickstarter funding might be going towards replacing those. There is nothing inherently bad about a Kickstarter in prototype stage that features some generic assets, as long as the plan includes specifics for how the funding will be used to replace those as development progresses.

Personally I'd much rather fund something that shows the good-faith effort to have at least taken the game to a prototype stage before advertising on Kickstarter, and free assets are great for that. Compared to 90% of terrible Kickstarters which don't have anything to show besides concept, it's a step up.

speng31b fucked around with this message at 02:40 on Nov 21, 2012

TheBuilder
Jul 11, 2001

Furry Hunter posted:

I backed their project. The Cole's come off as old school software hippies, but I am curious as to what they can deliver. I have never played the QFG games, are they worth $10 on GoG? My only experience with old school RPGs was 'The Bard's Tale' on the Commodore 64.

Yes, they are worth every dollar. They rank up there with Star Control II in terms of originality, writing, and humor.

Furry Hunter
May 5, 2005
Professional Fursecutor

TheBuilder posted:

Yes, they are worth every dollar. They rank up there with Star Control II in terms of originality, writing, and humor.

Thanks, just grabbed them at GoG, This means they will be on sale next week.

Bieeanshee
Aug 21, 2000

Not keen on keening.

Grimey Drawer

Furry Hunter posted:

The first four are solid, funny adventure games. The puzzles could be difficult, though not in the cat-hair mustache vein, but they're well worth a tenner. The fifth was late, shed a lot of interesting design ideas and at least one quest, had some really annoying bugs (including one that would wreck the game if you were fast enough not to need NPC help), and was generally a huge step backward.

Hm. I misplaced my QFG Collection disc years ago. I think I'll drop by GOG and pick that up myself.

TychoCelchuuu
Jan 2, 2012

This space for Rent.
Guido Henkel (Mr. Thorvalis Kickstarter) just followed me on twitter. :psyduck: I guess he's just following everyone who's even remotely connected with video games. I have not backed Thorvalis, nor have I tweeted about it, nor have I done anything remotely connected to it except tweet at rope kid weeks ago, which I guess means I must like RPGs. I feel honored to be one of the 60,000 that Guido is following.

coffeetable
Feb 5, 2006

TELL ME AGAIN HOW GREAT BRITAIN WOULD BE IF IT WAS RULED BY THE MERCILESS JACKBOOT OF PRINCE CHARLES

YES I DO TALK TO PLANTS ACTUALLY
I hope Thorvalla doesn't get funded. If you're asking after a huge amount of money, you better have a drat good pedigree. G3 Studios has so far made:
  • two poker games
  • two platformers for phones
  • two 8-bit top-down games for phones
  • a puzzle game for a phone
while Mr. Guido "Legendary" Henkel hasn't done anything of note in ten years. Considering how much trouble top-flight studios have turning out good games, I can't imagine how G3 could step up to the plate in a single development cycle. It's a recipe for disappointing the backers.

Turn out a good low-to-tiny budget game like Bastion or Amnesia or Braid or Uplink or hell FTL first, and then we can talk.

e: I should say that I was glad for similar reasons that The Old Skool RPG failed. I was - and am - skeptical of Wasteland 2 too, but at least inXile had Bard's Tale and Hunted under its belt.

coffeetable fucked around with this message at 08:08 on Nov 21, 2012

Megazver
Jan 13, 2006
This seems alright:

http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/robotloveskitty/legend-of-dungeon

CrookedB
Jun 27, 2011

Stupid newbee
Speaking of the soon-to-be-launched Barkley, Shut Up and Jam: Gaiden 2 kickstarter, I've had the pleasure of interviewing Chef Boyardee about it. For those interested, the interview has a lot of exclusive info and a bunch of Barkley 2 screenshots: http://www.rpgcodex.net/content.php?id=8632

Al!
Apr 2, 2010

:coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot:

CrookedB posted:

Speaking of the soon-to-be-launched Barkley, Shut Up and Jam: Gaiden 2 kickstarter, I've had the pleasure of interviewing Chef Boyardee about it. For those interested, the interview has a lot of exclusive info and a bunch of Barkley 2 screenshots: http://www.rpgcodex.net/content.php?id=8632

Oh it's an open world action RPG with persistent character choices affecting the outcome of the game? That seems about par for the course and also let me give them money.

Yodzilla
Apr 29, 2005

Now who looks even dumber?

Beef Witch

Urdnot Fire posted:

Sui Generis' latest update explains combat a bit more, including a video:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WqaRqih7Cuw

I was going to make a joke about the character flailing around like a retard but give me a sword and put me in a group of skeletons and welp that's pretty accurate I guess.

The Cheshire Cat
Jun 10, 2008

Fun Shoe
Apparently the animations are placeholders since part of the kickstarter is meant to help hire a professional animator, which is good news. I thought the flailing around looked pretty dumb, too.

Pochoclo
Feb 4, 2008

No...
Clapping Larry
Those screenshots look really good. It feels like one of those early 90's Amiga games, especially the UI. Looking forward to it.

miguelito
Oct 5, 2012

I'm WILD about
WILDMAN
(ask me about sexy shaving)
Dito. That's some (surprisingly) incredible art right there. I'll be there to pledge the second it's up.

In other news, there seem to be two interesting new projects vying for cash:

Legend of Dungeon
http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/robotloveskitty/legend-of-dungeon?ref=category
Graphically fantastic, retro-styled dungeon beat'em up thingie. Personally, I'm a bit burned out on the stick figure pixel look, but the lighting trickery looks amazing. Reddit-based, so expect tons of memes (purely personal speculation).

Peter's new god game
http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/22cans/project-godus
That's right, Molyneux and his company are looking for kickstarter funding. I'll just leave it a that.

Edit: Actually, I feel this particular comment by 22Cans deserves highlighting. I swear it's not a photoshop.
http://i.imgur.com/SIdbK.png

miguelito fucked around with this message at 19:47 on Nov 21, 2012

Midrena
May 2, 2009
^^^ Beaten so edited.

miguelito posted:

Peter's new god game
That's right, Molyneux and his company are looking for kickstarter funding. I'll just leave it a that.

A "reinvention of Populous" for £450,000 (US$717,000). Eh, I don't know. It sounds nice and all, and I love these sorts of games, but with the way the dude has waxed poetic about this or that awesome feature in various games over the years and pretty much failed to deliver... Hmm.

This has been my feeling about a lot of the KS projects these days, which might mean I'm mentally weary of KS or something.

Midrena fucked around with this message at 19:47 on Nov 21, 2012

GrandpaPants
Feb 13, 2006

Free to roam the heavens in man's noble quest to investigate the weirdness of the universe!

miguelito posted:

Peter's new god game

"Peter Molyneux doesn't talk about the game" should be a stretch goal. This does look interesting and Populous was one of those games that should have spawned a lot of other games but didn't, so I'm intrigued.

It is sort of weird seeing a Kickstarter not in dollars, though, and I'm also curious as to why the $15 buy in is limited.

Kaboobi
Jan 5, 2005

SHAKE IT BABY!
SALT THAT LADY!

Nobody give Peter Molyneux any loving money please

curse of flubber
Mar 12, 2007
I CAN'T HELP BUT DERAIL THREADS WITH MY VERY PRESENCE

I ALSO HAVE A CLOUD OF DEDICATED IDIOTS FOLLOWING ME SHITTING UP EVERY THREAD I POST IN

IGNORE ME AND ANY DINOSAUR THAT FIGHTS WITH ME BECAUSE WE JUST CAN'T SHUT UP
The Black and White games were like my entire childhood so gently caress you I guess??

Line Feed
Sep 7, 2012

Seeds taste better with friends.

CrookedB posted:

Consider me hyped to hell and back. I love how they're showing the character's face at the bottom like in Doom.

MrBims
Sep 25, 2007

by Ralp
All the money I would have given to a Populous remake minus-Peter-Molyneux is gonna go to Barkley 2, sooo, I think I'm gonna come out happy.

What are we gonna name the Barkley 2 thread? I'm voting for "TMROTNN:EFN7-ROC:TOGOTM-C2OTHBS Kickstarter" since the full title won't fit.

Orzo
Sep 3, 2004

IT! IT is confusing! Say your goddamn pronouns!
I'm gonna call it now, that Peter's GODUS will make funding very easily.

champagne posting
Apr 5, 2006

YOU ARE A BRAIN
IN A BUNKER

But he could just go to any bank and still get the money.

I wish kickstarter was more like the old olympics where professionals couldn't enter.

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

:hmmorks: :orks:

Orzo posted:

I'm gonna call it now, that Peter's GODUS will make funding very easily.

It's Peter Molyneux. The media are already covering his every breath. And when the press gives hype to anything it succeeds. Your "calling it now" is just common sense, sadly.

Doc Hawkins
Jun 15, 2010

Dashing? But I'm not even moving!

Boiled Water posted:

But he could just go to any bank and still get the money.

I wish kickstarter was more like the old olympics where professionals couldn't enter.

I wish it was more like an investment platform, so you could get equity in a project instead of just access and gewgaws, but that's legally unfeasible for now.

StevenM
Nov 6, 2011

MrBims posted:

All the money I would have given to a Populous remake minus-Peter-Molyneux is gonna go to Barkley 2, sooo, I think I'm gonna come out happy.

What are we gonna name the Barkley 2 thread? I'm voting for "TMROTNN:EFN7-ROC:TOGOTM-C2OTHBS Kickstarter" since the full title won't fit.

Shut Up and Jam: Gaiden 2: When Nothing Else Matters

Noreaus
May 22, 2008

HEY, WHAT'S HAPPENING? :)

Doc Hawkins posted:

I wish it was more like an investment platform, so you could get equity in a project instead of just access and gewgaws, but that's legally unfeasible for now.

The amount of Due Diligence lawsuits...my god.

champagne posting
Apr 5, 2006

YOU ARE A BRAIN
IN A BUNKER

Doc Hawkins posted:

If you could find a way you'll make quite a killing. KickDragonsDen.

Jack's Flow
Jun 6, 2003

Life, friends, is boring
The legendary Guido Henkel wants $1.000.000 for a game that'll eventually send you to collect bear asses from Il Frigo? Good luck with that.

CrookedB
Jun 27, 2011

Stupid newbee
Populous was cool, but I don't feel like giving money to Molyneux in his current state.

StevenM posted:

Shut Up and Jam: Gaiden 2: When Nothing Else Matters

Shut Up and Take My Money: Gaiden.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fondue
Jul 14, 2002

Kaboobi posted:

Nobody give Peter Molyneux any loving money please
Sorry, Populous is my nostalgia game #2 (my top nostalgia game is Homeworld). He's already got my money.